PDA

View Full Version : Belichick Pushed Cassell on McDaniels from the Start

WARHORSE
03-15-2009, 02:41 AM
Somewhere, no doubt behind a closed door, New England coach Bill Belichick may be snickering.
McJaygate? When all else fails, blame it on Belichick.
According to an NFL source, the proposed trade that never materialized but nevertheless turned Broncos' headquarters into "All My Children" didn't go down as so many reports suggest.
The deal that would have sent Jay Cutler elsewhere and New England quarterback Matt Cassel to Denver didn't collapse because Broncos coach Josh McDaniels entered the discussions late. Nor is it true that Belichick took a lesser deal from the Chiefs — the No. 34 overall draft pick in return for not only Cassel but linebacker Mike Vrabel — so he could stick it to his protege.
Belichick might have stuck it to McDaniels, all right. But it's laughable to think Belichick, the NFL's No. 1 football mind, would make a deal to spite himself.
The source, who was involved in the trade discussions, says Belichick aggressively pushed Cassel upon McDaniels from the onset. McDaniels may have allowed loyalty to cloud his judgment and entertained Belichick's proposals far too long.
But according to the source, not one of the many trade offers that swung through Dove Valley came close to pushing the Broncos into striking a deal.
The next thing you know, the Boston Globe breaks the story heard 'round the NFL that the Broncos were discussing a Cutler-Cassel trade. And McDaniels' coaching career is baptized with a quarterback controversy before he can run his first team through wind sprints. Maybe someday — maybe even Monday, when the new coach conducts his first team meeting — McDaniels and Cutler will share a laugh over the drama that was McJaygate. Belichick might still be laughing.

More crap thrown into the fire. This is sickening.:tsk:

SR
03-15-2009, 02:51 AM
I had a sneaking suspicion that old gray shirt may have had something to do with this. If this is true, I'm sure word of this article will make it's way to McDouchebag and eventually to Jay. Regardless of what I've said about Jay through out all of this, I want him here as our QB now and in the future; I just want him to stop acting like such a bitch about it all.

WARHORSE
03-15-2009, 04:19 AM
I had a sneaking suspicion that old gray shirt may have had something to do with this. If this is true, I'm sure word of this article will make it's way to McDouchebag and eventually to Jay. Regardless of what I've said about Jay through out all of this, I want him here as our QB now and in the future; I just want him to stop acting like such a bitch about it all.

Well, if true.........then McDoogie IS lying, and Jays source told him the truth.................and McDaniels is lying to Jays face and Jay knows it.

Thats called bein TWO FACED, and thats what Jay doesnt like. Small town folk dont gravitate towards people they know are lying to their faces. They move away.

Who wants to work with someone who is going to stare you in the eye..........and lie.

Not me.

I dont think Cutler does either..........in fact, I dont think a single Bronco would raise his hand if asked if they want to work with someone who will lie to your face.

elsid13
03-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Great McKidd not only can not handle the human resources part of the job, doesn't realize that he was buggered by a "friend". Nice Patriot way there.

Remember when the Broncos were the ones that other teams knew they weren't not going get something over them.

nthngd2say
03-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Well, if true.........then McDoogie IS lying, and Jays source told him the truth.................and McDaniels is lying to Jays face and Jay knows it.

Thats called bein TWO FACED, and thats what Jay doesnt like. Small town folk dont gravitate towards people they know are lying to their faces. They move away.

Who wants to work with someone who is going to stare you in the eye..........and lie.

Not me.

I dont think Cutler does either..........in fact, I dont think a single Bronco would raise his hand if asked if they want to work with someone who will lie to your face.

I thought that Cutler's issue with McDaniels was that he believed McDaniels was lying about not initiating trade talks. I thought Cutler said he had no issues with being involved in trade talks but with the Broncos initiating those talks. Klis' article indicated that Billicheat initiated trade talks. Am I recalling this wrong?

Northman
03-15-2009, 09:58 AM
This isnt really new news, this rumor has been floating around for a while now but there really hasnt been anything to confirm it.

Den21vsBal19
03-15-2009, 10:11 AM
I thought that Cutler's issue with McDaniels was that he believed McDaniels was lying about not initiating trade talks. I thought Cutler said he had no issues with being involved in trade talks but with the Broncos initiating those talks. Klis' article indicated that Billicheat initiated trade talks. Am I recalling this wrong?
That's pretty much been my understanding as well......................I'm not sure where McD has been lying :confused:

nthngd2say
03-15-2009, 10:17 AM
That's pretty much been my understanding as well......................I'm not sure where McD has been lying :confused:

I have no idea if McDaniels is lying or not... I just thought Cutler's issue with McDaniels previously was that he believed McDaniels initiated trade talks not that listened to offers. Klis' article implies that Billicheat called McDaniels. I sitll doubt the Broncos trade Cutler even with the rift between him and McDaniels as they won't get enough in return. Draft picks are too big of a gamble for the $ they'd cost. The most Cutler can do is stage a holdout which won't really benefit him so looks like we have the makings of Elway-Reeves which still included 3 Superbowl appearances.

WARHORSE
03-15-2009, 01:37 PM
I have no idea if McDaniels is lying or not... I just thought Cutler's issue with McDaniels previously was that he believed McDaniels initiated trade talks not that listened to offers. Klis' article implies that Billicheat called McDaniels. I sitll doubt the Broncos trade Cutler even with the rift between him and McDaniels as they won't get enough in return. Draft picks are too big of a gamble for the $ they'd cost. The most Cutler can do is stage a holdout which won't really benefit him so looks like we have the makings of Elway-Reeves which still included 3 Superbowl appearances.

You may be right and I hope you are. But my thought was that this was discussed while in New England.

I hope youre right, and the part of the article that I like is the fact that it says not one of the offers brought us close to a deal.

Theres so much junk floating around out there now, the media smelled blood in the water and its turning into a full fledged feeding frenzy.

Im just tired of it all, and Im not getting into it anymore.

I want to be discussing FAs, the draft, and off season moves.

Instead, I gotta wade through this crap.

Every story brings an avalanche.

Im taking a break.

I'll be driving my hammock.:coffee:

nthngd2say
03-15-2009, 06:08 PM
I was also relieved reading that McDaniels found none of the offers to be worthy of Cutler. Gives me hope that should McDaniels/Xanders/Bowlen determine Cutler must be traded, that we will get more value for him than just Cassel.

The controversy certainly has taken the shine of the off season and its has been difficult to sort through all of the speculation and "inside sources". I still am hoping that the Broncos decide that there is no good return value for Cutler and they decide to see if Cutler shows for the mandatory mini camps.

At least the draft is getting closer so while the rumors will only crank up, hopefully there will be some other topics to discuss.

jrelway
03-15-2009, 06:19 PM
dam. i wish we hired raheem morris.

getlynched47
03-15-2009, 07:28 PM
that motha effin Belli-cheat!!

KCL
03-15-2009, 07:31 PM
He must have not pushed too hard beings Cassel ended up in KC.

getlynched47
03-15-2009, 07:32 PM

I bet he pushed extremely hard, but McDaniels ultimately turned it down IMO.

nthngd2say
03-15-2009, 07:45 PM

Klis' article stated that none of the offers were considered enough to part with Cutler. If that's accurate, its says what I think every NFL scout and Broncos fan ultimately thinks regarding the talent of the two QBs - Cutler is more talented than Cassel. What Billicheat "pushed" besides Cassel would be speculation but based on the deal with KC, McDaniels didn't think Cutler for Cassel & Vrabel was enough to trade Cutler.

KCL
03-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Klis' article stated that none of the offers were considered enough to part with Cutler. If that's accurate, its says what I think every NFL scout and Broncos fan ultimately thinks regarding the talent of the two QBs - Cutler is more talented than Cassel. What Billicheat "pushed" besides Cassel would be speculation but based on the deal with KC, McDaniels didn't think Cutler for Cassel & Vrabel was enough to trade Cutler.

We'll see how well Cassel does.All I've been reading is how much better Cutler is.Cassell led the Pats to 11-5.It'll be a different team for him in KC and not the same KC team as the last 2 seasons.

Also not sure that BB tried to push him off on any team.There is so much speculation...none of us know what the hell went on.

nthngd2say
03-15-2009, 08:49 PM
We'll see how well Cassel does.All I've been reading is how much better Cutler is.Cassell led the Pats to 11-5.It'll be a different team for him in KC and not the same KC team as the last 2 seasons.

Also not sure that BB tried to push him off on any team.There is so much speculation...none of us know what the hell went on.

I wasn't trying to imply that Cassel lacks ability. I'd rather have Cassel than Chris Simms. I assume that you would be willing to say that Cutler is more talented than Cassel with what we have seen so far. Time will show just how talented Cassel is or is not but right now most would say Cutler has more upside and more overall ability.

I agree that everything is currently speculation and who knows. I find it interesting that the Boston Globe broke the story of the failed trade when the Pats organization is typically tight lipped. Particularly after McDaniels signed away two Pats players. Billicheat has had issues with former staff before for perceived slights - Mangini. That's my spin though as you're right that no one knows for sure

KCL
03-15-2009, 09:27 PM
I assume that you would be willing to say that Cutler is more talented than Cassel with what we have seen so far.

No comment...I am just a troll...what do I know....:rolleyes:

:lol:

Den21vsBal19
03-15-2009, 09:34 PM
No comment...I am just a troll...what do I know....:rolleyes:

:lol:
You most definitely are not a troll, m'dear.........................................

But as a Chiefs fan, I do have to question what you know ;)

:bolt:

WARHORSE
03-16-2009, 03:47 AM

Cassell is a CHEF............trust me .............he SUCKS.

KCL
03-16-2009, 06:03 AM
Cassell is a CHEF............trust me .............he SUCKS.

LMAO! :rolleyes:

Well damn...I guess I'll just have to accept the fact that Denver will be winning the division this season.