PDA

View Full Version : kickin' it with kiz No trust, no hope for Cutler and McDaniels

Lonestar
03-15-2009, 01:56 AM
Readers talk and columnist Mark Kiszla responds
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/15/2009 12:30:00 AM MDT
Updated: 03/15/2009 12:40:48 AM MDT

Kiz says it doesn't matter who is at fault, but there's only one solution: Trade Cutler. (Lisa Blumenfeld, Getty Images )Both sides in a tough spot.

"I have followed the Broncos fiasco between coach Josh McDaniels ('I'm going to show you who's the boss') and quarterback Jay Cutler ('I don't need no stinkin' hair stylist'). I think all the talk-show fanatics and former NFL players have missed the biggest issue here. My guess is Jay-Dude is smart enough to adjust to the reality that anyone can be traded and pro football is a business. The reason he's still angry is Cutler knows Kid McD lied to him about trying to trade him. It is a horrible spot to be in. There's no trust and no chance it will be re-established."

Dave, Westminster

Kiz: Ah, yes, it's always easier to assign blame for a mess than solve the problem. Is Cutler or McDaniels at fault? Frankly, my dear, I don't give a hoot. It takes two to argue over the telephone. But my gut tells me a trade is necessary for one, compelling reason: It's difficult enough to be an NFL coach or quarterback without a lack of respect between the man in charge of the game plan and the guy asked to execute those plays.

Kiz, lighten up.

"Hey, Kiz, slow down a little bit about trading Cutler. He has been in a marriage with the Broncos for three years. How would you feel if all of a sudden your beautiful wife says how much she loves you, then you find out she's starting to date behind your back?"

Adam, Arvada

Kiz: Breaking up with Cutler would be hard for many Broncomaniacs to do, because the QB and this city do share three years of history, including the joys of victory and agony of defeat. But please remember: Kid McD and Jay-C were strangers until five minutes ago, and their relationship has gone sour from the start.

Grow up Jay.

"Cutler is a big crybaby, and his milk has spilled."

Willard, Wheat Ridge

Kiz: And Bowlen hired a coach who required training wheels.

Get a clue, Kiszla.

"If McDaniels doesn't fix this, he's out as coach in two years. Your column is a prime example why fans and athletes hate hacks like you and Michael Smith of ESPN! Go flip burgers for a living."

Scott, Chattanooga, Tenn.

Kiz: You want cheese on that burger?

As the Broncos' world turns.

"It sure looks like Sundays will be pretty dull and disappointing this fall for the Broncos, but Monday through Saturday should be exciting as the soap opera gathers steam. You guys should sponsor a contest to name the new Broncos unreality show. How about: "Dove Valley Daze" or "Desperate Coaches. Maybe "Bowlen in the Middle" or "Who Doesn't Want to Be a Millionaire?"

Tom, Arvada

Kiz: Tune in tomorrow for "Generally Inhospitable" as Jay-C sells his mansion and moves into the basement of Mike Shanahan's new digs.

DU-CC rivalry simply the best.

"Your column about the Denver-Colorado College hockey rivalry said everything I have been telling people for years. During an NHL work stoppage, I went to a DU-CC game to fill the void. I had never seen hockey played so intensely. I was hooked for life. There is no rivalry in Colorado in any sport at any level that matches DU-CC hockey. I make a 500-mile roundtrip to Magness Arena almost every weekend the Pioneers are at home. I have missed only

Mark Kiszla
Speak up by sending your sports-related feedback and analysis to Mark Kiszla
Browse the Kickin' It With Kiz archive
Read Mark Kiszla's most recent column
three games this season. Sometimes the home team comes up short, but I never regret being there to support them."
Jeff, Grand Junction

Kiz: Awesome idea. Let's forget about this Broncos mess and go on a hockey roadie! I'd be honored to be your wing man, so long as you promise to pull off I-70 at The Minturn Saloon to refuel with an enchilada and a marg.

Home improvement
With the presence of our wayward Broncos QB expected at Dove Valley headquarters in a little more than 24 hours, today's parting shot is a plea to the one man in America who might be able to get Jay Cutler and Josh McDaniels in the same city, if not on the same page.

"Trade Cutler? I've got a better idea: Let's send Jack Bauer to Nashville to persuade Jay to get to Denver, then send Bauer to your house to get you out of the state, Kiz."

Don, Colorado Springs