PDA

View Full Version : Random Question regarding Soup / Survey

Astrass
10-15-2007, 04:32 PM
How do you guys feel about Soup in general? I'm thinking of opening a small restaurant focusing on soup as the main entree with some sandwiches and salads to go with it.

Do you guys like soup? Tell me your feelings on soup hehe :)

Jody
10-15-2007, 04:39 PM
My mom would be one of your best customers. Yet, my dad gives funny looks on his face everytime he hears my mom say she's making soup. :smile:

I love soup, just here and there though, not all the time. However, Chilli is the one exception to that! :nod:

If you're offering sandwiches - that's a plus in my book. Restaurant business is a tough one, but I wish you all the luck in the world fulfilling your dreams.

bengaaaaals1688
10-15-2007, 04:52 PM
I didn't answer the poll only because there are soups I would eat all the time if I could but I can't. Cheese and Potato, New England Clam Chowder... and I think that's about it lol. Actually, Cheese and Broccoli is good, too. Good luck.:salute:

melissAnn
10-15-2007, 05:48 PM
french onion done right is a great soup... I like soup... its especially nice for lunch when you don't want something heavy... soup with a salad
now I am hungry:laugh:

anton...
10-15-2007, 06:06 PM
i like soup...

but im not in the mood for soup very often...

:whoknows:
________
LIVE SEX (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

Hawgdriver
10-15-2007, 06:10 PM
This thread makes me hungry...

I agree with Melissa, I think French Onion done right is a treat. I like mine with fatty onions and a piece of super-cheesy baked toast on top. I don't know what kind of bread it is, but it's perfect for the soup.

I love the Olive Garden's sausage-potato soup (suppa toscana).

I love a good soup in a bread bowl.

I would go to a soup restaurant, now that you mention it. I might not have before I heard this idea. I wouldn't go very often, but I don't go to restaurants/fast food that often anyhow.

I think you will have to have incredible soups, low prices, or something unique about your soups (like the big piece of cheesy toast in the french onion)...or a combination. I would have an idea about which soup you make is a favorite of EVERYONE who's tried it (for the most part). That way you can tell your folks to recommend it when new folks come in if the ask the inevitable question, "What's good?" A specific recommendation is usually best, because the customer is primed to 'know' they will enjoy what they are getting, before they actually get it.

Good luck. I'm going to eat some soup now.

Skinny
10-15-2007, 06:14 PM
I love 'Potato Soup'. Never even heard of it till last year and i love mashed potatos. I don't eat soup much at all. 'Egg Drop Soup' is not for me.

I'ma 'Meat & Potatos' guy. :strongy:

anton...
10-15-2007, 06:14 PM
i love a chilli bowl during the winter...

and as i recal, in a town named frisco in summit county that sells soup is not making much money even in winter...

already been done i guess...

:2cents:
________
California medical marijuana (http://california.dispensaries.org/)

Slick
10-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Right now I'm in to tortilla soup and lime soup. Probably because they are the most readily available to me.

Believe it or not, a bowl or cup of hot soup is really good on a hot day here, I not sure why, but it seems to cool me off.:confused:

Do it.

Soups and sammies is a great idea.

When I was in the electrical business, finding a healthy affordable lunch was tough to come by.

I'd patronize a place like that.

Good luck.

KCL
10-15-2007, 07:28 PM
I like soup every now and then...

My favorite is tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich...

Simple Jaded
10-15-2007, 07:34 PM
I love soup (Especially if we're calling Chilli soup)....I usually do eat much soup when it's not winter, I don't know why....I gotta have crackers with my soup....

Astrass
10-15-2007, 07:46 PM
Awesome feedback =)

mmm.... french onion would most def be on the menu. I make a mean one too =P

Uncle Buck
10-15-2007, 08:24 PM
How do you guys feel about Soup in general? I'm thinking of opening a small restaurant focusing on soup as the main entree with some sandwiches and salads to go with it.

Do you guys like soup? Tell me your feelings on soup hehe :)

After years of filling up on appetizers, soup, salad, bread, et al, at a restaurant--and not fully enjoying the main course as a result--I've come to find that I more often *like* a good bowl of soup and fresh-baked bread MORE than the actual lunch or dinner I came in for.

But the soup has to be "home-made" *good* of course! I would guess that you've already done some market research--your "homework"--but I would certainly include visits to various restaurants, soup kitchens, of course.

In particular, I love the soup menu at Olive Garden--especially their "Italian Wedding," when available. This is a full-bodied soup with subtle Mediterranean seasonings.

And, believe it or not, among the best bowls of clam chowders I've ever experienced was at the Outback steak house of all places. Lately, I don't even order their steak. Just a large bowl (maybe two) of chowder, salad and their hearty bread is just fine by me!

So, by all means, visit some of these places, my friend--and steal their recipes! :D

Requiem / The Dagda
10-15-2007, 11:51 PM
I love soup. Always have a bowl every night at supper here at school.

sneakers
10-16-2007, 05:13 AM
It's pretty good.

underrated29
10-16-2007, 11:10 AM
i eat a ton of top ramen. some people call it pasta, i call it soup. But i only eat it because its fast and cheap, and you get so much quantity for the price.

cheese potato, brocclie,hot and sour, and the tortilla are all great soups. But imo the only soup i could ever eat as an entree is chili- if you call it soup. I like meals im not so much of a liquid person. However, the chunkier? the soup the more apt i am to eat it as an entree- chowder,chili,tortilla. etc.

I was in jamaica once and went to a local resturante and i had this awesome meal- it was like a redbeans and rice soup with some meat in there (there needs to be more meaty soups, probably one reason why i dont consider soup and entree because most dont have meat.) that i think was sausage and beef. anyway it was that plus these little like baked bread spoon things.
anyway you used your bread spoon to scoop up the red bean and rice soup and eat it. kinda like you would with chips and dip, but with bread and this soupy thing. I could eat that a lot.

The only other problem with soup is that its hard to take it with you, spills,tip over, cant eat on the run, and most of the time you have to have a few good minutes of free time to eat. However, if you offer enough variety or have great tatsting soups and sandwiches i think you could do it.

If you do open it, i request 2 things from you. 1. name a soup after the me:cool: and 2. is you have to atleast tell one person "NO SOUP FOR YOU!"

that is all- good luck. if you are in colorado, i will stop by sometime and have some soup.

OB
10-16-2007, 01:54 PM
A lot of restaurants are downsizing their portions etc, with this country being so overweight - its the new "IT" thing to do - so i would jump on this idea - it sounds great - a small bistro style restaurant - and be sure to offer good desserts - people may actually have room for them w/o huge main entrees

Im picky so Im not a big soup person - potato is my all time favorite - then chicken noodle -

Wouldnt touch french onion - and hate tomato

But if you pair up some good items - it would be a great idea - small overhead - hours to suit your needs

Although we have a chain here called Souper Salad - and I think thats what they do - but I would rather go to a locally owned restaurant any day over a chain - i try to find all of the small local restaurants to eat at know - i only do the chains when we do big family things

I have this great little Italian restaurant i found in my town totally by accident - it has become my place - i love the menu - the wine, the food, the service and its never packed and loud - i always go alone with a good book and just have usually the most enjoyable meal of my week - its a tad expensive for just me (wine etc) but its a min vacation for me and damn it im worth it :)

Sometimes I see they need wait staff and I think of going there but then I would lose my special place :tsk:

Just dont name it astrass - not very appetizing - LMAO!!!!!

OB
10-16-2007, 01:55 PM
2. is you have to atleast tell one person "NO SOUP FOR YOU!"

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

underrated29
10-16-2007, 04:16 PM
[QUOTE=orangenblue420;33277]

QUOTE]

do people make fun of you for not liking tomato, esp with a griled cheese or something. Or french onion for that matter.

I hate tomato soup also, and pretty much the same goes for the onion. But people give me sht all the time for not liking them.

Astrass
10-16-2007, 07:03 PM
[QUOTE=orangenblue420;33277]

QUOTE]

do people make fun of you for not liking tomato, esp with a griled cheese or something. Or french onion for that matter.

I hate tomato soup also, and pretty much the same goes for the onion. But people give me sht all the time for not liking them.

Lol..... :listen:

Hawgdriver
10-16-2007, 07:26 PM
I just had a bowl of Campbell's Select Mexican Style Chicken Tortilla. I crumbled up a slice of pepper jack cheese and I was in spicy ricey heaven.

I had to have some more soup, so I just nuked up a can of bean and ham.

I think I'm on a soup kick now.

OB
10-17-2007, 02:51 PM
HEY I told you all i was picky - so Bite Me :D

Yes I catch a ton of slack for not varieties of eating soup esp. tomato OR any kind of veggies in my diet-

Im strictly a meat n taters gal

OB
10-17-2007, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=underrated29;33341]

Lol..... :listen:

Hey just remember I told you NOT to cal it ASStrash's soup n salad :D

Astrass
10-17-2007, 04:26 PM
[QUOTE=Astrass;33401]

Hey just remember I told you NOT to cal it ASStrash's soup n salad :D

Was gonna be a special....I'll rethink that. :D