PDA

View Full Version : Putzier a Bronco again

Spiritguy
03-14-2009, 12:13 AM
The Denver Broncos reached a one-year contract agreement with TE Jeb Putzier, Scout.com has confirmed.

Putzier ended last season with the Broncos after spending most of it with the Seattle Seahawks. He played for the Houston Texans in 2006 and 2007 and was drafted in the sixth round by Denver in 2002.

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=847074&nid=4100790&fhn=1

honz
03-14-2009, 12:19 AM
This means Scheffler will be traded within the next day or two...

:couch:

BroncoWave
03-14-2009, 12:28 AM
I like Jeb. I'm glad that we signed him.

Watchthemiddle
03-14-2009, 12:33 AM

Package deal with Cutler?!?!?!?! :confused:

getlynched47
03-14-2009, 12:36 AM

i hate to see Scheff go :(

bullis26
03-14-2009, 02:40 AM

i think they'll wait for draft day to do that

WARHORSE
03-14-2009, 05:50 AM
Lets just hope he shows up monday.........................wouldnt want a media storm.

Den21vsBal19
03-14-2009, 06:07 AM
I just wish that he could learn to avoid a few hits....................dude gets laid out like Eddie Mac used to :lol:

sneakers
03-14-2009, 06:16 AM
Next up...chad mustard.

claymore
03-14-2009, 06:59 AM
This is an OK signing. But Scheffler is better than Putz.

Northman
03-14-2009, 08:13 AM

Same here. I hope we draft Nelson too.

underrated29
03-14-2009, 10:29 AM

I was thinking draft day, but i agree. Unfortunately, see ya scheffy.

TXBRONC
03-14-2009, 10:39 AM
This is an OK signing. But Scheffler is better than Putz.

There are complaints about Tony's inline blocking what about Putz? And he was never a reliable redzone receiving target.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-14-2009, 11:42 AM
I always like Putz. Hate to see Scheff go, but we need players who can be depended on to stay on the field.

honz
03-14-2009, 01:21 PM
I was just messin' guys. Putzier is only our 3rd TE.

Lonestar
03-14-2009, 02:45 PM

Which we need since leach is gone..

PUTZ is a favorite of mine not great, but really a QB's best friend on 3rd down..

Someone mentioned Eddie Mac being similar they both had a knack of getting the catch and taking a hit.. AND HOLDING on to the ball..

bullis26
03-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by honz

but in the spread offense a lot of the time you don't use your TE, atleast not 2 TE sets david thomas is the patriots #2 TE he was rerely used, even benjamin watson wasn't used that much

SR
03-14-2009, 04:33 PM
I think trading Scheff is stupid. We've got our big money TE in Graham. If anything, we'd look to move him to free up more cap space before we moved Scheff, who isn't making near as much as Graham. Yeah, Graham is an awesome blocker and started to make more plays receiving last year, but he doesn't nothing for me. Putz won't be more than a third TE at best, assuming we keep Scheff, which I'm assuming we will seeing as how McJackass likes his TE a lot in the passing game.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-14-2009, 05:42 PM
I'm not against trading Scheffler. I think Jeb is somebody who can get comparable production to Tony. If there is a team interested in Tony and is willing to give quality compensation for him -- why not? Denver has some quality receivers. Marshall, Royal and Gaffney (who has had success with McDaniels) is a nice trio. Throw in Stokley and Graham -- and that is five good receiving weapons. Scheffler is great at stretching the field and is definitely a weapon in the receiving game, but I don't think we're necessarily hurting if he gets traded. If the value is there and teams are interested -- do it.

I don't think Denver needs to be investing large money into Scheffler once his contract is up when Graham still has quality years left in him and Denver has other receiving options to play with. Trading him might be the best idea. . . cause we'd probably let him walk if we didn't toss him out now.

honz
03-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by honz

but in the spread offense a lot of the time you don't use your TE, atleast not 2 TE sets david thomas is the patriots #2 TE he was rerely used, even benjamin watson wasn't used that much

Scheffler's basically a WR and can line up out wide in the spread. Plus, we need special teams players as well. I'm not claiming to know what the coaches are thinking, but I think almost every team has 3 TE's.

Dean
03-14-2009, 06:26 PM
The Pats' offense does not employ a pass catching TE very often. It requires a solid blocking TE.

Tony has not particularly shined in that area during his time in Denver.

The same could be said for Putz unless he improved during his time away from Dove Valley.

In fact, I remember where I was and what I thought when I heard that Putz had been claimed and the Broncos chose not to match his contract. I was in the basement of the Radisson in Aurora for the Nike Coach of the Year Clinic. I read in the Rockey Mountain News that he was gone. My thought was that we had lost a receiver but would probably run the ball better without Putz.

Putz is a lesser model of Tony IMO.

Timmy!
03-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Wow are people on edge here. Good signing, I always liked Putz. He's a poor man's Sheff, but unlike Sheff, Putz can actually take a hit and not be injured for the next 4 weeks. Injury insurance, special teams, and another set of sure hands if needed, IMO.

dogfish
03-14-2009, 07:17 PM
*ahem*

championship!!

bullis26
03-14-2009, 11:18 PM
I think trading Scheff is stupid. We've got our big money TE in Graham. If anything, we'd look to move him to free up more cap space before we moved Scheff, who isn't making near as much as Graham. Yeah, Graham is an awesome blocker and started to make more plays receiving last year, but he doesn't nothing for me. Putz won't be more than a third TE at best, assuming we keep Scheff, which I'm assuming we will seeing as how McJackass likes his TE a lot in the passing game.

your kidding right? you must be otherwise it's safe to say you havent seen a patriots game in a few years

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-15-2009, 12:27 AM
Plummer was recently seen at Dove Valley. Putz and he were friends weren't they? Maybe plummer will come out of retirement to play with his buddy. Must mean we are trading cutler to TB...lol

BroncoWave
03-15-2009, 12:36 AM
Plummer was recently seen at Dove Valley. Putz and he were friends weren't they? Maybe plummer will come out of retirement to play with his buddy. Must mean we are trading cutler to TB...lol

If the worst case scenario happens and we do get rid of Cutler, I actually wouldn't be totally opposed to trying Plummer out, which I NEVER thought I would say. :lol:

Buff
03-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Remember when Asante Samuel nearly killed Putz?

...Nice throw by Jake btw.

BeefStew25
03-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Remember when Asante Samuel nearly killed Putz?

...Nice throw by Jake btw.

Jacked Up All Star.

Buff
03-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Yeah, he was perennially on that list... He gets decleated more than eddie the bruise mccaffery ever did.