PDA

View Full Version : Cutler-McD Take 732

ydave77
03-13-2009, 08:37 PM
My turn. Why not. First of all, let me say this post may come off as being a "McD supporter". I want everyone to know, I am not a Cutler, or McD guy, I am a Broncos guy. I want the best for the team, and initially I was as upset as Cutler that McD considered trading him. In fact I still think it was incredibly stupid, and short-sighted. Cassell has nowhere near the potential Cutler has. That being said, players get traded. It happens. Get over yourself. Now onto the post.

My thoughts on the Cutler situation are simple. He was also traded, he thought he was un-tradeable, he wanted an apology and guarantee, and now he is in a no win situation.

What I don't understand, is why anyone bothers defending his actions any longer?

The most common arguement I have heard is, well he isn't upset that he was almost traded, he is upset he was lied to. Jay, sh*t happens. Its one persons word vs another, McD might be lying, he might be telling the truth. No one knows. If he lied, so be it. It happens. He's your boss. I am not suggesting it was the bets course of action, but evidently he thought it might pacify Jay to hear that, so he went with it. Does Jay actually believe he has never lied, or been lied to in the past? Unlikely.

What leverage exactly does Jay have? He has multiple years left on his contract, at very palatable numbers, so what could he possibly organize? In trade the Broncs will never get equal value. You can't trade a potential franchise QB and expect to come away with the better end of the deal. McD may have considered taking 80cents on the dollar for Cassell because he knows him, he knows his system. And selfishly, it might have made sense. From his perspective the owner just canned shanny. McD's 3mill/yr contract, and today's win now NFL, did not equate to any job security. Maybe Cassell was the better short term play, which would buy him the time to get the rest of his house (the D) in order.
Regardless Jay has no leverage, McD won't trade him away unless he gets a good value, because whats the point. A guy in the last yr of his contract may have some power, he could just show up for the last 6 games, and it would count as an accrued system in terms of nearing FA. But Cutler he has too far to go to play that game. So if you cant get fair value, or the QB he was comfortable with, why would McD trade him away?

Unfortunately, Jay has painted himself into quite the corner. From the start he has taken this like a primadonna, and expected to be coddled. McD isnt playing that game, and now Jay either has to come back with tail tucked, or try to be a harda$$ and skip the offseason program. That won't win him any more respect, or power. If McD could take a guy who last started a game in High School, and help make him the QB of an 11 win team, I am sure he thinks he can make lemonade with a guy like Simms.

His best move is to say, he cares too much about his teammates, and loves the game too much to stay away from the workouts. Regardless of what is going on with the staff, he wants to be the best QB he can, and will let the politics play out as they will. That way he can save face, and hopefully slowly begin to heal that relationship, which will take a long long time.

NameUsedBefore
03-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Jay's leverage is that if/when he leaves the Broncos will suck for a good long while.

claymore
03-13-2009, 08:45 PM
Jay's leverage is that if/when he leaves the Broncos will suck for a good long while.

Pretty good leverage. :D

ydave77
03-13-2009, 08:47 PM

He doesn't have the power to leave though. That is entirely in the broncos hands not his=No leverage.

NameUsedBefore
03-13-2009, 08:49 PM
He doesn't have the power to leave though. That is entirely in the broncos hands not his=No leverage.

From your own post,

be a harda$$ and skip the offseason program.

ydave77
03-13-2009, 08:53 PM
And we still dont have to trade him. Still entirely up to us. He can go ahead and try to sit out the whole season. Like I said he is under contract for multiple yrs. He cant threaten to come and play for just 6 games to accrue an "played season", bc he would have to do it again next yr as well. See the Anqian Boldin situation for reference. Players make demands all the time. Its up the team to bend or not...

Broncospsycho77
03-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Yeah, but his leverage lies in not knowing what's next. Jay will just say "You'll miss me" and be off... and we won't know what we've got. Jay has leverage in that he's the future of the franchise (as of this moment), and unless a miracle can be scrapped together, there isn't an applicable replacement.

anton...
03-13-2009, 09:27 PM
i liked 728 the best...

Watchthemiddle
03-13-2009, 09:57 PM
We won and went to the playoffs with Jake Plummer.

Jake Plummer and going to the AFFCG = No leverage.

fcspikeit
03-13-2009, 10:29 PM
This is the same exact discussion as the other thread that has 745 reply's..

Some of the other threads were at least different articles about the same topic and they were merged. When will this one also be merged?

ydave77
03-13-2009, 10:33 PM

Some of the other threads were at least different articles about the same topic and they were merged. When will this one also be merged?

Reasonable. And I too, am sick of debating this to death. I agree with a merge...I wanted a few seconds of frontpage magic, and now probably shoudl be merged.

We need something huge to happen, like have a Days of Our Dove Valley. Like find out that McD has an evil twin, who has secretly been running the team. Or that Cassell really secretly has a love child with Cutler's girlfriend, and that is why Jay is so pissed off.

DenBronx
03-13-2009, 10:35 PM

hopefully in about 5 seconds.....

DenBronx
03-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Reasonable. And I too, am sick of debating this to death. I agree with a merge...I wanted a few seconds of frontpage magic, and now probably shoudl be merged.

We need something huge to happen, like have a Days of Our Dove Valley. Like find out that McD has an evil twin, who has secretly been running the team. Or that Cassell really secretly has a love child with Cutler's girlfriend, and that is why Jay is so pissed off.

or like bowlen to take a broom stick and shove it in and out of mcdummys cornhole until he kisses the ground that cutler walks on.