PDA

View Full Version : Call for unity at time of crisis

DenBronx
03-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Dumervil says Cutler, McDaniels must resolve issue for sake of team.
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

Will new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, left, and quarterback Jay Cutler get together at Dove Valley on Monday?
Attention, a certain strong-armed quarterback.

All Broncos players are to report to the Dove Valley headquarters at 8 a.m. Monday for the first team meeting conducted by new coach Josh McDaniels.

"I spoke with him a week before the Super Bowl and I like his energy, I like what he's bringing to the table," said Elvis Dumervil, who may be pass rushing from both the defensive end and outside linebacker positions this year. "He's fired up. We're all excited to get started."

McDaniels has sent word he expects all players to be present for his first state-of-the-team address. The meeting is in many ways detached from the offseason conditioning program that is voluntary.

Will quarterback Jay Cutler bless McDaniels' big moment

The answer may lead to a bigger question: If Cutler doesn't attend, how will McDaniels address the team knowing all eyes and minds are on the future of its disgruntled star quarterback?

"That's got to be intrusive to the organization," Dumervil said. "We've got to get this dealt with. At the end of the day, both parties are very important to the organization. Whatever it takes, whatever's necessary, we need to have Jay Cutler's back and we need to have coach McDaniels' back."

Cutler believes he has been misled by McDaniels regarding a proposed trade that never materialized two weeks ago. The trade would have sent Cutler to Tampa Bay, and New England quarterback Matt Cassel to the Broncos. Cassel instead was dealt to the Kansas City and McDaniels was dealt a major headache.

Since the proposed trade, Cutler has not met with McDaniels, as the coach had hoped. A conference call involving Cutler and Broncos officials on Monday did not resolve the situation.

Cutler understands if he doesn't report Monday the Broncos may feel no choice but to trade him, but he remains undecided about whether to attend McDaniels' meeting. What is clear is Cutler's teammates want his issue with McDaniels to be resolved.

"We need to make peace," Dumervil said. "We have a talented team. I think the coaches have a good idea of what direction we need to go and I think it would be unfortunate to have a rumble like that."

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com

BroncoAV06
03-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Doom speaking the truth!