PDA

View Full Version : Two Takes:Cutler-Dear or Departed?

Shazam!
03-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Paige: Jay-C — dear, or departed? Love him
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post

In his career, in regular-season games in which the opposing team scored 30 points or more, his record is 6-22.

His name? Peyton Manning.

Not even Manning, a three-time MVP, could save the Colts when his defense was atrocious.

In his career, in regular-season games in which the opposing teams scored 30 points or more, his record was 6-31.

John Elway.

Not even Elway, who finished as the greatest comeback quarterback in NFL history, could save the Broncos when his defense was awful. In two separate seasons, the Broncos allowed 30 points or more five times when Elway played. They lost all 10 games.

Trade Jay? No way.

Give him a defense, and Jay Cutler will be one of the premier quarterbacks for a long time in the NFL. Any coach, columnist, commentator or football cynic who suggests otherwise doesn't get it.

In his career, in regular-season games in which opposing teams have scored 30 points or more, Cutler's record, when playing two full quarters or more, is 3-12.

In the past two seasons, no quarterback could have saved the Broncos with the defense they put on the field. Not Manning, not Elway, not Cutler.

When he has played more than a half, and the Broncos have permitted fewer than 30 points, Cutler's record is 14-7.

Attacked by a bunch of clowns, Cutler has gone for the juggler.

I don't blame him.

Nobody contemplated trading Manning, Elway, Tom Brady, Troy Aikman or Joe Montana early in their careers, and look what happened to them. The Atlanta Falcons traded Brett Favre after his first year, and look what happened. The Tampa Bay Bucs traded Steve Young after his second NFL season, and look what happened.

Don't let it happen. Trade Jay, and the deal will bite the Broncos in the business end for years to come.

Elway didn't win a playoff game until his fourth season, Manning his sixth. Cutler will be in his fourth season in 2009.

Just imagine if the Broncos had an average defense, not the worst in the league, last season and a healthy, 1,500-yard-type starting running back, instead of eight different (and indifferent) running backs. The Broncos would have been in the playoffs, and Cutler would have been heralded as an emerging star.

As it is, he still made the Pro Bowl and, despite the Broncos' failures, must be considered one of the top 10 quarterbacks in the league.

Who would you rather have? The two Mannings, Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers, Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, Kurt Warner and Donovan McNabb? Maybe most on that list, but not all.

Matt Cassel?

The Patriots won 11 games, but they didn't make the playoffs, either. The Patriots beat two playoff teams: Miami (a split) and Arizona, (which didn't show up in the next- to-last game). The Broncos beat two playoff teams: San Diego (a split), and Atlanta on the road.

Cassel had a better quarterback rating (89.4-86.0), fewer interceptions (11-18), a higher completion percentage (.634-.623) and more rushing yards (270-200), but Cutler had more completions (384-327), more passing yards (4,526-3,693), a higher yards-per-attempt average (7.3-7.2) and more touchdown passes (25-21).

Cutler is a year younger.

Cassel was not a trade (up) for the Broncos.

No quarterback available among the free-agent rejects, backups and aging veterans is worthy of signing. Nobody available among the starting quarterbacks is worthy of a trade.

Nobody available among the college quarterbacks who will be on the board at No. 12 in April is worthy of drafting, and Matthew Stafford and Mark Sanchez are not worthy of trading up to get, because of the risk and the salary cap obligations.

Chris Simms, who is available as the Broncos' new QB, is not worthy of starting.

Cutler is the quarterback of the past three seasons, and should be the quarterback of the next 10 seasons.

If Josh McDaniels improves the rest of the team, Cutler is not the problem. He is the solution.

Jay's the way.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11892074

WARHORSE
03-12-2009, 08:45 PM
This is in the Cutler-McDaniels poll thread.........second post I think.

Shazam!
03-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Kiszla: Jay-C — dear, or departed? Leave him
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post

Get out of Denver, baby.

Put quarterback Jay Cutler on notice he has thrown his last tantrum and final touchdown pass for the Broncos.

Trade him.

Rather than trying to slap Band-Aids on egos wounded in a stupid testosterone match between new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and Cutler, it would be better for all concerned to call the whole thing off, before a disgruntled Jay-C begins heaving spitwads at little General McD from the back of a team meeting room.

You gotta keep 'em separated, preferably by at least 1,200 miles, or roughly the distance between Denver and Detroit.

If McDaniels is going to maintain any authority on the Broncos practice field, the team must trade Cutler.

Is there really any other choice?

Before he was on the job long enough to put a scratch in his desk, McDaniels shattered the trust of Cutler with loose trade talk, fracturing the relationship with his most talented player.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

But know what is far more troublesome?

McDaniels suddenly finds himself between a rock-headed, stubborn QB and a hard place.

If the 32-year-old Denver coach capitulates now to Cutler's paint-it-black mood swings, then McDaniels seems doomed to get pushed every time it comes to shove with a strong personality in a Denver uniform.

As hard as breaking up can be, it is time for Cutler to pack up his hurt feelings and Pro Bowl arm, take his bad haircut and go find a new home in Detroit, Tampa Bay or whatever NFL city can put a smile back on his pouty lips.

Listen, Jay-C, we all feel your pain.

Most of us can only imagine how tough it must be living with the mental strain endured by a 25-year-old millionaire whose money cannot buy the loyalty of a franchise that let it slip Matt Cassel might be a better fit at quarterback, especially in these harsh economic times.

Franchise owner Pat Bowlen should have ordered his childish quarterback and immature coach to Dove Valley offices, figuratively bent both brats over a knee and given them a verbal spanking, telling Cutler and McDaniels this middle-school, he-started-it nonsense had to stop.

Instead, the Broncos tried to patch the rift with a conference call, with team officials speaking from Colorado and Cutler listening to their yada, yada, yada from Nashville.

You cannot kiss and make up from long distance. How are Cutler and McDaniels going to get on the same page when the Broncos cannot even get them in the same city?

While McDaniels might know football, there have been enough missteps during the first 100 days of his administration, whether it was personnel honchos Jim and Jeff Goodman being kicked clumsily to the curb or signing a long-snapper from New England the Broncos didn't really need, that you have to wonder if this team is now closer to being Patriots West or Raiders East.

Rather than pretending to respect McDaniels, it would be wiser for Cutler to instruct agent Bus Cook to quietly work behind the scenes with the Broncos on an exit strategy.

Covered in the scum of this soap opera, can Denver get equal value for Cutler in trade? Probably not.

But if the Baltimore Ravens could make the playoffs after taking Delaware quarterback Joe Flacco with the 18th pick in the draft, or the Nuggets could swap Allen Iverson for Chauncey Billups, there is a way out of any sports jam.

While some angry Coloradans would like to run Cutler out of the state on the same rail as Ward Churchill, here's thinking Jay-C deserves a fresh start, rather than hanging around to be a scapegoat for anything that goes wrong on McDaniels' rebuilding project.

There is undoubtedly a dash of Debbie Downer in Jay-C's demeanor, but comparing him to that dog Jeff George, as Jake Plummer and Mel Kiper Jr. have done recently while sticking a knife in Cutler, is just plain wrong.

After Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger, any scout would be hard-pressed to find a quarterback with the physical gifts to match Cutler.

In fact, I still believe Cutler has the right stuff to lead a team to the Super Bowl.

But in Denver?

It ain't happening.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11892073

Shazam!
03-12-2009, 08:49 PM
I posted the two takes, you posted one, and didn't site a source. It also looked like jumbled jibberish and was hard to read. I'm not taking a shot at you either Brah.

Lonestar
03-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Put quarterback Jay Cutler on notice he has thrown his last tantrum and final touchdown pass for the Broncos.

Trade him.

Rather than trying to slap Band-Aids on egos wounded in a stupid testosterone match between new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and Cutler, it would be better for all concerned to call the whole thing off, before a disgruntled Jay-C begins heaving spitwads at little General McD from the back of a team meeting room.

You gotta keep 'em separated, preferably by at least 1,200 miles, or roughly the distance between Denver and Detroit.

If McDaniels is going to maintain any authority on the Broncos practice field, the team must trade Cutler.

Is there really any other choice?

Before he was on the job long enough to put a scratch in his desk, McDaniels shattered the trust of Cutler with loose trade talk, fracturing the relationship with his most talented player.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

But know what is far more troublesome?

McDaniels suddenly finds himself between a rock-headed, stubborn QB and a hard place.

If the 32-year-old Denver coach capitulates now to Cutler's paint-it-black mood swings, then McDaniels seems doomed to get pushed every time it comes to shove with a strong personality in a Denver uniform.

As hard as breaking up can be, it is time for Cutler to pack up his hurt feelings and Pro Bowl arm, take his bad haircut and go find a new home in Detroit, Tampa Bay or whatever NFL city can put a smile back on his pouty lips.

Listen, Jay-C, we all feel your pain.

Most of us can only imagine how tough it must be living with the mental strain endured by a 25-year-old millionaire whose money cannot buy the loyalty of a franchise that let it slip Matt Cassel might be a better fit at quarterback, especially in these harsh economic times.

Franchise owner Pat Bowlen should have ordered his childish quarterback and immature coach to Dove Valley offices, figuratively bent

Post Poll - Cutler-McDaniels
Settle it once and for all, Broncos Nation. Which side of the QB-coach spat do you fall on? Are you with Jay Cutler or Josh McDaniels?
Total Votes = 5131
Jay Cutler: The star. He'll lead the Broncos back to glory. No coach can do that.
68.56 %
Josh McDaniels: The boss. What he says, goes. Anything else is anarchy.
31.43 %

both brats over a knee and given them a verbal spanking, telling Cutler and McDaniels this middle-school, he-started-it nonsense had to stop.
Instead, the Broncos tried to patch the rift with a conference call, with team officials speaking from Colorado and Cutler listening to their yada, yada, yada from Nashville.

You cannot kiss and make up from long distance. How are Cutler and McDaniels going to get on the same page when the Broncos cannot even get them in the same city?

While McDaniels might know football, there have been enough missteps during the first 100 days of his administration, whether it was personnel honchos Jim and Jeff Goodman being kicked clumsily to the curb or signing a long-snapper from New England the Broncos didn't really need, that you have to wonder if this team is now closer to being Patriots West or Raiders East.

Rather than pretending to respect McDaniels, it would be wiser for Cutler to instruct agent Bus Cook to quietly work behind the scenes with the Broncos on an exit strategy.

Covered in the scum of this soap opera, can Denver get equal value for Cutler in trade? Probably not.

But if the Baltimore Ravens could make the playoffs after taking Delaware quarterback Joe Flacco with the 18th pick in the draft, or the Nuggets could swap Allen Iverson for Chauncey Billups, there is a way out of any sports jam.

While some angry Coloradans would like to run Cutler out of the state on the same rail as Ward Churchill, here's

Share Your Analysis

Post sports columnist Mark Kiszla fields your feedback. Look for it in Kickin' It With Kiz every Saturday.
thinking Jay-C deserves a fresh start, rather than hanging around to be a scapegoat for anything that goes wrong on McDaniels' rebuilding project.
There is undoubtedly a dash of Debbie Downer in Jay-C's demeanor, but comparing him to that dog Jeff George, as Jake Plummer and Mel Kiper Jr. have done recently while sticking a knife in Cutler, is just plain wrong.

After Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger, any scout would be hard-pressed to find a quarterback with the physical gifts to match Cutler.

In fact, I still believe Cutler has the right stuff to lead a team to the Super Bowl.

But in Denver?

It ain't happening.

Mark Kiszla: 303-954-1053 or mkiszla@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11892073

BeefStew25
03-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Tubby wants Kyle Boller. There I said it.

dogfish
03-12-2009, 08:54 PM
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/1407/thisthreadsucks.jpg (http://img14.imageshack.us/my.php?image=thisthreadsucks.jpg)

slim
03-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Kiszla is an idiot

Shazam!
03-12-2009, 08:56 PM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34964

Lonestar
03-12-2009, 09:08 PM
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/1407/thisthreadsucks.jpg (http://img14.imageshack.us/my.php?image=thisthreadsucks.jpg)

ahh one of your better responses.. click this poster on the jay lover side..

elsid13
03-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Tubby wants Kyle Boller. There I said it.

I guess he like guys that can throw 60 yards are thier knees.

getlynched47
03-12-2009, 09:11 PM

i agree. a bunch of ignorant fools want to put the entire blame on Jay Cutler....but Josh McDaniels carries as much of the blame..if not more. McIdiot is clueless :coffee:

slim
03-12-2009, 09:11 PM
I guess he like guys that can throw 60 yards are thier knees.

He likes any guy on their knees.

Lonestar
03-12-2009, 09:13 PM
i agree. a bunch of ignorant fools want to put the entire blame on Jay Cutler....but Josh McDaniels carries as much of the blame..if not more. McIdiot is clueless :coffee:

as are some fans that really do not know for sure what has happened..

Better for them to get Both sides of the story..

topscribe
03-12-2009, 09:14 PM
ahh one of your better responses.. click this poster on the jay lover side..

Frankly, if you were to be objective about it, you would have posted both
articles out of the Post, as Shazam did in his thread. :coffee:

-----

Lonestar
03-12-2009, 09:15 PM

-----

did not see the other one got this one from mania.. Yep I went back..

KCL
03-12-2009, 09:26 PM

You went back to Mania........:laugh:

j/k

elsid13
03-12-2009, 09:28 PM
He likes any guy on their knees.

Crash Davis: Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well

Lonestar
03-12-2009, 09:29 PM
You went back to Mania........:laugh:

j/k

had to reply a long adiós message from Tned.. first time I've logged in since SEPT 07..

Thought it was time to remind folks things have not changed there..

Also while I was there looked at some of the kiddies posts reminds me why we started this place to get away from all the madden football experts..:laugh:

KCL
03-12-2009, 09:29 PM
It's hard to believe that grown men who are making millions cannot sit down and hash this out....:rolleyes:

KCL
03-12-2009, 09:30 PM
had to reply a long adiós message from Tned.. first time I've logged in since SEPT 07..

Thought it was time to remind folks things have not changed there..

Also while I was there looked at some of the kiddies posts reminds me why we started this place to get away from all the madden football experts..:laugh:

Just messing with you JR...I still go there and post every now and then.

Lonestar
03-12-2009, 09:31 PM
It's hard to believe that grown men who are making millions cannot sit down and hash this out....:rolleyes:

Yep all it takes is a few minutes by jay to realize his agent is just doing the crapola for more money for him.. not caring what jay rep becomes..

Fan in Exile
03-12-2009, 09:53 PM
The part of Klis's article that made me laugh is the part about Cutler having Cook seek a trade for him. There's nothing like breaking the no tampering clause to show how an article is just plain old bad advice.

DenBronx
03-12-2009, 10:45 PM
mark kiszla is from the looney bin.

WARHORSE
03-12-2009, 11:32 PM

-----

Man youre so to the point Top.........:salute:

WARHORSE
03-12-2009, 11:43 PM
I posted the two takes, you posted one, and didn't site a source. It also looked like jumbled jibberish and was hard to read. I'm not taking a shot at you either Brah.

Hey, more power to ya. As for jibberish.....a number of people seem to have understood it. But I went back and edited it for ya Brah. And yeah, I didnt post the other version cause it was Kizla BUNK.

Lonestar
03-12-2009, 11:52 PM
threads merged..

scott.475
03-13-2009, 01:29 AM
I wonder if McD ever told Brady that he was just like any other player on the team and just as susceptible to trade?

If the reports of him saying that to Jay are true, it shows a stunning stupidity. He might be trying to emulate Belicheck, and despite the fact Bill has probably dressed down Brady on any number of occasions, I doubt he ever told him he was of no more value than any other player and susceptible to trade. Brady MADE Belichek, MADE today's Patriots, and MADE the child-coach McD.

I am not saying Jay is Brady, but he is the teams QB, and any coach with any sense would not have handled it that way, IF it happened.

Another thing I have to say. I am kind of tired of people saying things about how a team can't let a single player set their course, because that does happen all the time, and often with good results, sometimes with bad results. But coaches and commentators have talked about how certain teams have to treat certain, important players differently than others, and that is just a reality of today's game. I cannot judge whether Jay is at that level for certain, though I think he could be. I would rather stick with Jay than risk Cassel, who may well be a one year wonder.

Gosh, I got a little concerned when we hired from the Pats, because Bill's assistants sure have not fared well on their own, I sure hope we are the exception.

Mr. Bowlen, PLEASE get control of this team! WHERE IS XANDERS?!

fcspikeit
03-13-2009, 04:11 AM
Kiszla is an idiot

Your not kidding,

"Listen, Jay-C, we all feel your pain.

Most of us can only imagine how tough it must be living with the mental strain endured by a 25-year-old millionaire whose money cannot buy the loyalty of a franchise that let it slip Matt Cassel might be a better fit at quarterback, especially in these harsh economic times. "

He is truly an idiot! Cassel would have cost the broncos a hell of a lot more money then Cutler... :coffee:

He clearly doesn't know what he's talking about here..

fcspikeit
03-13-2009, 04:26 AM
Yep all it takes is a few minutes by jay to realize his agent is just doing the crapola for more money for him.. not caring what jay rep becomes..

I think you would be surprised Jr, Jay's rep is actually in a lot better shape then even I thought it was.

After being on an ever fan base board, a hell of a lot more fans then not are siding with Cutler over McDipshit even the afc west fans... Regardless how Jay decided to handle this situation in the future, he will be just fine..

Lonestar
03-13-2009, 05:39 AM
I think you would be surprised Jr, Jay's rep is actually in a lot better shape then even I thought it was.

After being on an ever fan base board, a hell of a lot more fans then not are siding with Cutler over McDipshit even the afc west fans... Regardless how Jay decided to handle this situation in the future, he will be just fine..

Your correct Jeff George had a great short career also with several different teams..

In case you have not noticed their are only a couple of owners that are truly stupid enough to go are misfits Right now one of the is up to his ankles in Russel another has Romo and Snyder well he could use another coach killer for his highly paid bunch of losers..

I know you think jay walks on water.. But very few head coach's would want a primadonna cry baby that can;t handle pressure when eh chips are down trying to lead their team..

Regardless of the fact he made the pro bowl he is not as great as you think he is..

If he can;t handle this small amount of adversity today well he is either a huge loser or this is well orchestrated ploy for getting him a new contract.. If it is the latter I for one am not interested in making him the next $100,000,000.00 player.. I do not think anyone player is worth that kind of money regardless of how strong his arm is.. When one person is taking 20% of the cap space that means you having to cut back somewhere else..

That is not a team player.. some thing I do not want.. IMHO he can go elsewhere and seek his fortune..

If your unable to see this then we mu friend are going to have to agree to disagree..

Night.. If this is not understand able it must be the Nyquil kickiing in..h

TXBRONC
03-13-2009, 05:46 AM

If you opened up the link you would have had to have seen it.

LordTrychon
03-13-2009, 05:57 AM
Your not kidding,

Most of us can only imagine how tough it must be living with the mental strain endured by a 25-year-old millionaire whose money cannot buy the loyalty of a franchise that let it slip Matt Cassel might be a better fit at quarterback, especially in these harsh economic times. "

He is truly an idiot! Cassel would have cost the broncos a hell of a lot more money then Cutler... :coffee:

Really? I liked that he pretended to like him at the end of the article... but he dissed the hair earlier. Jay won't be happy. :tsk:

topscribe
03-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Your not kidding,

Not surprising . . . Kiszla has been the village idiot for the DP for some time now . . .

-----

topscribe
03-13-2009, 12:16 PM

Hell yeah . . . I can be just as unreasonable as a poor man . . .

-----

bullis26
03-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Some people have tried to characterize the friction between Josh McDaniels and Jay Cutler as a battle of wills.

That's being way too generous -- to Cutler.

Cutler can threaten to stay away from the Denver Broncos' non-mandatory offseason conditioning program, which begins Monday. He can even skip their first mandatory minicamp, which begins April 17.

While he's at it, he can hold his breath and stomp his feet, too.

According to multiple NFL sources with knowledge of the situation, no amount of protesting is going to make McDaniels regret his decision to attempt to trade Cutler two weeks ago as part of a deal that would have brought Matt Cassel -- whom McDaniels helped mold into a highly-effective starter last season when they were with the New England Patriots -- to Denver.

Nor, the sources say, will it prompt the Broncos' new coach to seek to patch things up with Cutler, who is still smoldering about being the subject of trade talk.

"You will not see (McDaniels) flinch," one league source said. "I guarantee you this: He's in control of that situation. If this is a story about who is running that team, the last person in the world I'm going to alienate is a new coach in the first year of a four-year, multimillion-dollar deal.

"Last year, as an offensive coordinator in New England, he lost maybe the greatest quarterback in football (Tom Brady, to a season-ending knee injury). Then he turned a backup who hadn't started a game since high school into one of the top quarterbacks in the league. Josh is not frightened to go to the bench, if he has to."

There have been varying reports about what was supposed to have been a clear-the-air conference call earlier in the week between Cutler and his agent, Bus Cook, and the Broncos hierarchy of owner Pat Bowlen, chief operating officer Joe Ellis, general manager Brian Xanders and McDaniels. One source said, as far as the Broncos were concerned, the call went well because they were satisfied they had established to Cutler and his agent that he was no longer on the trading block. They pointed out the potential trade with the Patriots was something they did not seek; it came to them. And after Cassel was shipped to Kansas City, any trade discussion involving Cutler was over.

Still, the source said, the Broncos made no promise to Cutler that he was untradeable, which is why the three-year veteran didn't necessarily share the Broncos' opinion about the success of the call.

According to the source, although Cutler could very well be the Broncos' quarterback in 2009, he should not plan on getting such a commitment because McDaniels has no intention of giving it to him.

A Cutler trade could very well happen between now and April's draft, the source said. One league insider said to keep an eye on the Detroit Lions, who are looking to deal the top overall pick (where quarterback Georgia's Matthew Stafford could be selected). Another said to keep an eye on the Cleveland Browns, because they might very well be interested in a deal that would involve swapping Brady Quinn for Cutler. Like Cassel, Quinn is well-schooled in McDaniels' offense. He ran it while playing at Notre Dame for Charlie Weis, whom McDaniels succeeded as offensive coordinator of the Patriots.
Cutler won't be doing himself any favors if he allows his anger to get in the way of fully preparing to continue as the Broncos' starting quarterback. For one thing, it won't help his relationship with McDaniels. For another, if he skips offseason work, he will severely damage his ability to learn a new offensive scheme that is far different from the one he has known since joining the Broncos as a first-round draft pick in 2006.

The fact Bowlen had no problem parting ways with his previous coach, Mike Shanahan, should have been Cutler's first clue that he does not wield nearly as much power as he might think he does. Cutler, who became a prolific Pro Bowl passer under Shanahan, made it known that he didn't agree with the firing. Still, Bowlen wanted Shanahan out so much that he was willing to eat the remaining $20 million of his contract.

"If you can fire a Mike Shanahan, you can trade a kid like that," an NFL source said. "Everyone is disposable in this league. And (Cutler's) a guy who hasn't proven a thing yet. He's had some great statistics, but he hasn't won a thing yet.

"It's well known that Cutler is a highly sensitized person, but what are we really talking about here? A guy's feelings got hurt? In my mind, this is so much ado about nothing. The smartest thing Cutler can do is just shut up."

just another report about cutler crying and potentially skipping stuff he's supposed to be at

Lonestar
03-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Do you have a source/link for this?

Thought it was spot on..

bullis26
03-13-2009, 12:40 PM
go to nfl.com, it was the first page