PDA

View Full Version : Von Miller- Defensive Rookie of the Year

Ziggy
02-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Congrats Von!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7540891/nfl-awards-carolina-panthers-cam-newton-wins-offensive-rookie-year?eleven=twelve

lgenf
02-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Yeah! No better yet hell yeah!

Congrats Von

I really thought the rookie smith from the 49ers had this wrapped up

Ziggy
02-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Yeah! No better yet hell yeah!

Congrats Von

I really thought the rookie smith from the 49ers had this wrapped up

He had a shot, but not being a starter killed his chances in the end.

iLands
02-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Heh. We both posted at the same time. Congrats Von!

turftoad
02-04-2012, 06:56 PM
He had a shot, but not being a starter killed his chances in the end.

Or...... his recent DWI killed his chances in the end.

iLands
02-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Or...... his recent DWI killed his chances in the end.

I'm pretty sure the voting took place before that.

BroncoWave
02-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Wonder how often the top two picks in the draft have taken the two rookie of the year awards. Can't imagine it's happened too many times.

DenBronx
02-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Very well deserved Von!

This kid is going to be a lighting bolt that wreaks havoc on QBs for many years in the NFL. Hope he stays a Bronco 4 Life!

spikerman
02-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Very well deserved Von!

This kid is going to be a lighting bolt that wreaks havoc on QBs for many years in the NFL. Hope he stays a Bronco 4 Life!

I just hope he has a better overall career than the last Bronco to win it. :)

chazoe60
02-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Well deserved. Von deserved it. Giving it to Smith would have been like giving a closer the Cy Young award. Sure if not for Von he may have deserved it but when a rookie does the things Von did as a starter he has to get it.

Too bad about the thumb injury or who knows how many sacks Von would have ended with.

Hey RC, please tell us how much Von sucks right now.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-04-2012, 07:25 PM
INDIANAPOLIS — Denver Broncos' linebacker Von Miller, the No. 2 overall draft pick in the 2011 draft, has been named the NFL defensive rookie of the year.

Miller received 39 votes from a nationwide panel of 50 media members who regularly cover the NFL. San Francisco 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith, also a first-round choice, got the other 11 votes.

Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow was given the GMC never say never award.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19894614

SR
02-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Kick ass...congrats Von!

Denver Native (Carol)
02-04-2012, 08:48 PM
I am guessing, but we may see Von and the others who won awards be presented them tonight at 9:00 Eastern time on nbc

http://www.nfl.com/honors

On ch9 in Denver, this will not come on until 8:00 - must be on a tape delay here.

Con_Valian
02-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Congrats Von! Now lets get another winner this next draft!

Denver Native (Carol)
02-04-2012, 09:58 PM
from article:

INDIANAPOLIS — With this rookie award by Von Miller, the Broncos have final confirmation.

They did not blow their No. 2 overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft.

"First of all, the award is all for him," said Broncos' football operations boss John Elway. "He's the guy who went out and did it. Considering he didn't have an offseason for us, learning the defense — with the year he had there's just so much more upside for him that he's just going to get better and better."

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19894614

camdisco24
02-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Congrats Von!

He certainly earned this one. Hope to see continued improvement and another strong showing next season. VONDOOM lives on!

topscribe
02-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Dareus was offended the Broncos took Von instead of him.

Guess maybe he doesn't have too much to say now . . . :coffee:

-----

Kapaibro
02-04-2012, 10:36 PM
This is good in this world!

Congrats to you, Von!
:salute:

Denver Native (Carol)
02-04-2012, 10:40 PM

-----

I also remember some on here being very upset with the Broncos for not taking Dareus also.

BORDERLINE
02-05-2012, 12:02 AM
Great Year had by Von

I'll eat crow, I wanted a DT with that pick.

MileHighCrew
02-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Congrats Von. This year DROY next year DMVP!!!

TXBRONC
02-05-2012, 09:11 AM
It's looks like it wasn't really all that close. I wouldn't that Miller being a starter had a lot to do with him getting the award.

Northman
02-05-2012, 12:00 PM
I also remember some on here being very upset with the Broncos for not taking Dareus also.

Like Border, i wanted DT but am glad i was wrong.

rcsodak
02-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Well deserved. Von deserved it. Giving it to Smith would have been like giving a closer the Cy Young award. Sure if not for Von he may have deserved it but when a rookie does the things Von did as a starter he has to get it.

Too bad about the thumb injury or who knows how many sacks Von would have ended with.

Hey RC, please tell us how much Von sucks right now.
So an award, from the press, makes him somehow better?

Explain that, can ya?

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

rcsodak
02-05-2012, 01:17 PM

-----
Cuz he didnt get an award? I seem to remember MD eating denvers OL in their game.

A DT wont have the stats of a LB/DE. Not even Suh. But when stopping the run is always considered job#1, a stud DT is more apt to do it.

BroncoWave
02-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Hey rc...

http://www.reactionface.info/sites/default/files/images/19764-mad.jpg

I Eat Staples
02-05-2012, 03:58 PM
So an award, from the press, makes him somehow better?

Explain that, can ya?

Awards are typically given to players who are, you know, good...I didn't think that one needed too much explaining. I guess Peyton Manning's four MVPs are just "awards from the press" and mean nothing.

Cuz he didnt get an award? I seem to remember MD eating denvers OL in their game.

A DT wont have the stats of a LB/DE. Not even Suh. But when stopping the run is always considered job#1, a stud DT is more apt to do it.

Suh won DROY.

rcsodak
02-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Awards are typically given to players who are, you know, good...I didn't think that one needed too much explaining. I guess Peyton Manning's four MVPs are just "awards from the press" and mean nothing.
Suh won DROY.
Before more posters get boners about trying to decry my opinion, lets be clear.

The #2 pick SHOULD be good. At least, he better be.
That said, the 11.5 sacks is nice...but not when you realize the number of plays he was in on. If ASmith was only a parttime player, and yet, got MORE sacks, how is that not better? Because thats all he does...is pass rush? BS! Factual BS!

I'm leaving my opinion on vm open....and hope he's better, next year, at actually covering/slowing down the TE, and at least getting in the way of the rb's before they hit the secondary
Here's to hoping that next year, hes subbed out on less plays, and learns to defend the run from the likes of haggen.

BroncoWave
02-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Before more posters get boners about trying to decry my opinion, lets be clear.

The #2 pick SHOULD be good. At least, he better be.
That said, the 11.5 sacks is nice...but not when you realize the number of plays he was in on. If ASmith was only a parttime player, and yet, got MORE sacks, how is that not better? Because thats all he does...is pass rush? BS! Factual BS!

I'm leaving my opinion on vm open....and hope he's better, next year, at actually covering/slowing down the TE, and at least getting in the way of the rb's before they hit the secondary
Here's to hoping that next year, hes subbed out on less plays, and learns to defend the run from the likes of haggen.

Of the top 15 players in sacks, Miller had more tackles than 10 of them. If he was as invisible as you claim in run support and pass defense, why did he have so many tackles? And if you look at the numbers the week before he injured his thumb, Miller's stats in comparison to other pass rushers was even more impressive.

I know you have a huge boner for Dareus but to downplay what Miller has done is just asinine. He was graded the top 4-3 OLB in the NFL even when taking out his sacks. You really have no argument.

Nomad
02-05-2012, 04:36 PM
I wish the BRONCOS could have had both. Von did good for the BRONCOS this year and look forward to his career as one.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Von's award was not a fan popularity vote

INDIANAPOLIS -- Denver Broncos linebacker Von Miller was named The Defensive Rookie of the Year by the Associated Press on Saturday at the inaugural NFL Honors awards show in Indianapolis.

Miller, receiving 39 votes from a nationwide panel of 50 media members who regularly cover the NFL, became the second linebacker in franchise history to win the award, following Mike Croel's win in 1991. Miller was also the fourth Bronco to earn the NFL Rookie of the Month award in November.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/30383563/detail.html

topscribe
02-05-2012, 05:11 PM

But didn't Suh win the award, IIRC? I do believe Von made more of an impact
on the defense than Dareus would have, and that he was a big reason for the
defensive turnaround from 2010. I had mixed emotions at the time Von was
selected, but I couldn't be happier now. Part of that reason -- I'll have to admit --
is the emergence of Bunkley. And I would welcome a stud to insert beside
Bunkley this year.

Meanwhile, Von will have a profound impact on the defense for many years
now, assuming he can stay healthy, of course. Think Derrick Thomas . . .

-----

topscribe
02-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Von's award was not a fan popularity vote

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/30383563/detail.html

I can't imagine a Denver Bronco winning a popularity vote (expect Tebow?) . . .

-----

wayninja
02-05-2012, 06:21 PM
I can't imagine a Denver Bronco winning a popularity vote (expect Tebow?) . . .

-----

Popularity and talent are not mutually exclusive.

MOtorboat
02-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Miller deserved it.

Elite pass rushers (coupled with everything else Miller brings to the table) are the MOST important aspect of a defense. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise, and if they do, laugh at them.

topscribe
02-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Popularity and talent are not mutually exclusive.

. . . any more than they are necessarily inclusive . . .

-----

chazoe60
02-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Miller deserved it.

Elite pass rushers (coupled with everything else Miller brings to the table) are the MOST important aspect of a defense. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise, and if they do, laugh at them.
But, according to some (or maybe it's just one) Von is terrible at everything except pass rushing.

MOtorboat
02-05-2012, 06:53 PM
But, according to some (or maybe it's just one) Von is terrible at everything except pass rushing.

Miller was the most destructive player in the league (not just rookie) for a 10 week stretch this season.

wayninja
02-05-2012, 06:54 PM
. . . any more than they are necessarily inclusive . . .

-----

The point? They are also not leprechauns.

They are more inclusive than exclusive. But again, so?

I was only trying to say that just because a guy isn't 'popular' or well known at all doesn't mean he wouldn't win a popular vote based on his on field play. If anything, his performance makes it more likely.

Nomad
02-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Miller was the most destructive player in the league (not just rookie) for a 10 week stretch this season.

Miller did a great job.

topscribe
02-05-2012, 06:57 PM
The point?

Exactly . . .

-----

wayninja
02-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Exactly . . .

-----

You said you couldn't see any Broncos winning a popularity contest except for Tebow.

My point was that it's not necessarily a popularity contest. There are people, believe it or not, that would vote based on the performance rather than who they like.

You point is obviously non-existent.

topscribe
02-05-2012, 08:37 PM
You said you couldn't see any Broncos winning a popularity contest except for Tebow.

My point was that it's not necessarily a popularity contest. There are people, believe it or not, that would vote based on the performance rather than who they like.

You point is obviously non-existent.

Fine. I see this is very important to you.

Carry on . . . :coffee:

-----

wayninja
02-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Fine. I see this is very important to you.

Carry on . . . :coffee:

-----

Ah, classic topscribe.

topscribe
02-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Ah, classic topscribe.

Thanks, but it really wasn't anything.

Somebody has to show a little maturity around here . . .

-----

wayninja
02-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Thanks, but it really wasn't anything.

Somebody has to show a little maturity around here . . .

-----

You're right, it's immature to try to get in the last post, so I won't do that.

Davii
02-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Interesting thing I read, don't remember exactly where said that Von didn't miss one tackle. Von deserved this award and possibly DPOY too.

topscribe
02-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Interesting thing I read, don't remember exactly where said that Von didn't miss one tackle. Von deserved this award and possibly DPOY too.

I read one source that claimed Von was the best LB in football last year,
although I also don't remember where I read that, even though it was just
today. :tsk:

-----

Davii
02-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Another important thing to remember re Von... He will only get better... I think Von is going to be a huge force for years to come. If we can upgrade our interior DL then even more so.

Nomad
02-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Another important thing to remember re Von... He will only get better... I think Von is going to be a huge force for years to come. If we can upgrade our interior DL then even more so.

Get a stud DT along with Bunkley....it improves VonDoom and the secondary.

chazoe60
02-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Football focus Top. They've been rating him as the best OLB in the NFL almost all season.

rcsodak
02-05-2012, 09:58 PM
Of the top 15 players in sacks, Miller had more tackles than 10 of them. If he was as invisible as you claim in run support and pass defense, why did he have so many tackles? And if you look at the numbers the week before he injured his thumb, Miller's stats in comparison to other pass rushers was even more impressive.

I know you have a huge boner for Dareus but to downplay what Miller has done is just asinine. He was graded the top 4-3 OLB in the NFL even when taking out his sacks. You really have no argument.

Firstly, tackles is UNOFFICIAL.

Secondly, getting tackles after 5yd gains ISN'T impressive.

Thirdly, yes....I do. ;)

rcsodak
02-05-2012, 10:00 PM
But didn't Suh win the award, IIRC? I do believe Von made more of an impact
on the defense than Dareus would have, and that he was a big reason for the
defensive turnaround from 2010. I had mixed emotions at the time Von was
selected, but I couldn't be happier now. Part of that reason -- I'll have to admit --
is the emergence of Bunkley. And I would welcome a stud to insert beside
Bunkley this year.

Meanwhile, Von will have a profound impact on the defense for many years
now, assuming he can stay healthy, of course. Think Derrick Thomas . . .

-----

Yes....SUH DID WIN THE AWARD! Not exactly sure the point?????? I never said he didn't.

MOtorboat
02-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Firstly, tackles is UNOFFICIAL.

Secondly, getting tackles after 5yd gains ISN'T impressive.

Thirdly, yes....I do. ;)

Tackles are not unofficial. That's a terrible, terrible argument. Just stop.

chazoe60
02-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Everyone point and laugh at the ridiculous man making a last ditch effort to prove a stupid point. :laugh::laugh:

Hey RC, what team do you actually root for anyway?

rcsodak
02-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Miller deserved it.

Funny how one mostly hears "we need to stop the run game" when listening to dc's and defensive players.

STILL waiting to hear the same say "we need to sack X early/often".

STILL haven't heard them say "we need to make them one dimensional, by stopping the pass so they can only run on us, and control the clock".

rcsodak
02-05-2012, 10:10 PM

No....he only excels at one.

Nice ATTEMPT at spin.

But keep making this personal. You're good at it.

rcsodak
02-05-2012, 10:13 PM

Really?

What stretch is that, so someone can look it up.

You know....to ward off any attempt at hyperbole.

MOtorboat
02-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Funny how one mostly hears "we need to stop the run game" when listening to dc's and defensive players.

STILL haven't heard them say "we need to make them one dimensional, by stopping the pass so they can only run on us, and control the clock".

Frankly, you don't have a clue what you're talking about. There's really no need to elaborate.

Really?

What stretch is that, so someone can look it up.

You know....to ward off any attempt at hyperbole.

Hyperbole? Wake the **** up.

2 through 12. That was actually 11 weeks. My bad.

rcsodak
02-05-2012, 10:22 PM

Meaning what? Once he touched them, they went down? If so, that's nice.

But 2 problems with that, davii.

1. Tackles are unofficial. You look at 3 sites, you'll get 3 different numbers.

2. Running yourself OUT of a play most likely isn't counted as a missed tackle. Which, imo, negates that little tidbit.

wayninja
02-05-2012, 10:22 PM

What dc's and defensive players say is UNOFFICIAL.

topscribe
02-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Yes....SUH DID WIN THE AWARD! Not exactly sure the point?????? I never said he didn't.

I was just saying I'm happy with the pick, my friend . . .

-----

Davii
02-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Funny how a VAST majority of people that actually make their living by knowing what they're talking about say Von was an absolute beast, even with a cast on...

RC, I'm sorry man, but you're flat out wrong. Your position is completely indefensible. Von was certainly the best defensive rookie this year and made a serious push for best defender overall. Is there a reason you seem to shit on the play and achievements of every Broncothis season?

Davii
02-05-2012, 11:36 PM
oH1J1uqSIwU

Davii
02-05-2012, 11:44 PM
Not sure where this "unofficial" tackle stat thing came from either. I just checked nfl, espn, and the broncos site... All 3 say 64 tackles... Besides the 11.5 sacks, 4 ff, etc.

Every site I can find also has Aldon listed at 37 tackles... Interesting.

MOtorboat
02-05-2012, 11:53 PM
Not sure where this "unofficial" tackle stat thing came from either. I just checked nfl, espn, and the broncos site... All 3 say 64 tackles... Besides the 11.5 sacks, 4 ff, etc.

Every site I can find also has Aldon listed at 37 tackles... Interesting.

The numbers are official.

Grasping at straws by a certain someone.

Hell, even if the numbers were slightly different it doesn't take away from what Miller did this season. Arguing that the numbers are "unofficial" means you're making the irrational argument that he somehow had significantly less tackles than was recorded, which he didn't.

Slick
02-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Remember the Jets game? Von was all over Sanchez, all night. Also making tackles in the run game. He was the best player on the field that night. Making a game saving tfl in late in the game that gave us a chance to win. On national tv.

You're way off base here rc.

Davii
02-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Remember the Jets game? Von was all over Sanchez, all night. Also making tackles in the run game. He was the best player on the field that night. Making a game saving tfl in late in the game that gave us a chance to win. On national tv.

You're way off base here rc.

What about the more than likely game saving overtime tackle of Tolbert that pushed the Chargers back on their missed FG attempt?

That also happened to be made with two torn ligaments, that was the game he jacked his thumb up in.

chazoe60
02-06-2012, 06:57 PM
I think some people just like to be contrarian. It balances the place out a bit, I guess, but the fact that there needs to be posts defending a rookie as good as Von was for us is pretty ridiculous.