PDA

View Full Version : Dawkins, Theismann speak on Cutler/McD saga

Northman
03-12-2009, 10:45 AM
Stolen from the Mane...

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11892072

Drama of McJaygate sounds familiar
New Bronco Brian Dawkins knows about in-house rifts like the one in Denver from his long run with the Eagles.
By Mike Klis

Quarterback controversy? Yo, Brian Dawkins is from Philadelphia. He knows what a real quarterback controversy looks like. As a matter of fact, it looks just like Donovan McNabb, right.

Part of Broncoland is irked at the audacity of first-year head coach Josh McDaniels. Another part is infuriated with quarterback Jay Cutler for the way he has reacted.

Amid the fuming chaos that is McJaygate, safety Brian Dawkins doesn't flinch. Where did Dawkins come from again before he signed a five-year contract with the Broncos? Oh, yeah.

"I come from Philadelphia," Dawkins said Wednesday. "These types of things are no big deal for me. I shouldn't say they're not a big deal, but I've seen where once things are handled in-house, inside the locker room, that these things get worked out and we move on and we come together as a team. That's what I'm hoping happens here."

In the city of brotherly spats, a year doesn't go by without another edition of Donovan Drama. Donovan McNabb is the Philadelphia Eagles' franchise quarterback who, often through no fault of his own, has been a magnet for controversy and criticism. There were Donovan and T.O., Donovan and the knee injury, Donovan and No. 2 draft pick Kevin Kolb, Donovan and A.J. Feely, Donovan and demanding better players.

Dawkins played through it all, on the other side of the ball, with the Eagles the past 13 years. Now he joins a team facing a familiar problem. Perhaps the wisdom Dawkins gained through his previous beleaguered-quarterback experiences can help Denver resolve its current conflict?

"I'm hoping I get a chance to talk to Jay at some point," Dawkins said. "To me, you handle things inside. If you have a problem with a teammate, you deal with him. If you have a problem with your head coach, you deal with him, and then you move forward."

But that's part of the problem between the Broncos and Cutler. Since emotional wounds were opened with the revelation Cutler was on the trading block two weeks ago, the Broncos haven't been able to get their quarterback into town, much less inside their Dove Valley headquarters

Cutler also is undecided whether to report for the start of the Broncos' offseason conditioning program Monday, knowing that he may seal his fate out of Denver if he doesn't show.

"I like Jay, I like Jay a lot," said former Washington Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann. "He brings a charisma and a moxie that most guys don't have. But those things don't matter when it comes to winning. And the fact he has his nose out of joint because he's on the trading block — listen, (in 1981, the year before the Redskins won the Super Bowl) we drafted a quarterback (Tom Flick, in the fourth round). How ticked do you think I was? What I did, instead of getting upset with management, I worked harder. I worked longer. I made absolutely sure who the starting quarterback was going to be in Washington. I would like to see Jay Cutler, instead of focusing on rhetoric, go to work, improve his set of skills and become a better football player. Because he's not going anywhere."

Even if Cutler doesn't show up for offseason workouts Monday, it's not certain the Broncos would trade him. The team has to be careful, because the offseason program is voluntary until the start of mini-camps. The Broncos' first mini-camp is April 17-19, the weekend before the NFL draft.

The draft is when most NFL trades are made. Cutler?

"I don't see that happening," Dawkins said. "Obviously, I don't make decisions, I don't make the calls, but I don't see that happening."

Spoken by a man who understands how these quarterback dramas usually end.

CoachChaz
03-12-2009, 11:05 AM
I think this kind of reiterates wht those of us that are deemed "Cutler Haters" have been saying. Keep the problems in house and take care of it. Dont whine to the media, talk to the team.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Dawkins is a genius.

GEM
03-12-2009, 11:17 AM
I think this kind of reiterates wht those of us that are deemed "Cutler Haters" have been saying. Keep the problems in house and take care of it. Dont whine to the media, talk to the team.

In the same breath...talk to your players.

I think we can all agree that it was handled poorly on all sides and just hope that somehow they can get past it and do what is best for the Denver Broncos and that is win games.

G_Money
03-12-2009, 12:03 PM
And if we'd had the internet and the football coverage we have now, you can be damn well sure that Theisman's fury about the draftpick would be broadcast and every talking head would be debating it endlessly.

*shrugs* QB strife never plays out quietly, especially in the instant information age. Could Jay not talk to the media about it? Yeah. But has he since the first 48 hours? No. Not that I'm aware of, anyway.

Sooner or later it stays in house because everybody agrees to deal with it.

Nobody on our team is dealing with it. Not Cutler, not the FO, and the agent has no reason to calm the storm - more teams involved is better for business.

Stop poking the problem with a stick and do something about it.

We're gonna have to hear questions and comments about it all freakin' year now, but somebody could calm the waters if somebody chose to. It was on McDaniels to fix it, but now that he's proven incapable of saying the right thing to calm Cutler down it's on Cutler to get it straight in his own head.

God, I hate hoping for millionaires to act like grownups. :yardog: That bet is never in my favor.

~G

OB
03-12-2009, 12:06 PM
GD this whole thing just needs to stop - for real - now everyone and their brother is commenting on it - WTH - cant we find something else to focus on - like WINNING!!!!!!!!!!

G_Money
03-12-2009, 12:07 PM
That's the problem with the off-season, OB - there's nothing to win.

As we're finding out, though, there can be an awful lot to lose if you're not careful.

~G

CoachChaz
03-12-2009, 12:19 PM
And if we'd had the internet and the football coverage we have now, you can be damn well sure that Theisman's fury about the draftpick would be broadcast and every talking head would be debating it endlessly.

*shrugs* QB strife never plays out quietly, especially in the instant information age. Could Jay not talk to the media about it? Yeah. But has he since the first 48 hours? No. Not that I'm aware of, anyway.

Nobody on our team is dealing with it. Not Cutler, not the FO, and the agent has no reason to calm the storm - more teams involved is better for business.

We're gonna have to hear questions and comments about it all freakin' year now, but somebody could calm the waters if somebody chose to. It was on McDaniels to fix it, but now that he's proven incapable of saying the right thing to calm Cutler down it's on Cutler to get it straight in his own head.

God, I hate hoping for millionaires to act like grownups. :yardog: That bet is never in my favor.

~G

There are 2 stories. An unnamed source said McD pissed Cutler off again and a named team rep said things went well.

Why do people still choose to believe the unnamed source? its ridiculous. it's not the media or the agent or Cutler or McD fueling this fire...it's the fans that form opinions and spew about it regardless of fact or fiction.

Choosing to believe an unproven source over comments stated by someone that was there is was continues this problem.

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-12-2009, 12:45 PM
the unnamed source is jays agent..lol its all a ploy to get cutler a new contract...lmao

TXBRONC
03-12-2009, 12:46 PM
There are 2 stories. An unnamed source said McD pissed Cutler off again and a named team rep said things went well.

Why do people still choose to believe the unnamed source? its ridiculous. it's not the media or the agent or Cutler or McD fueling this fire...it's the fans that form opinions and spew about it regardless of fact or fiction.

Choosing to believe an unproven source over comments stated by someone that was there is was continues this problem.

After listening to the Sports Guru and how he pieced the information together, I think he's spot on. Bus Cook is feeding the beast (the media).

CoachChaz
03-12-2009, 12:53 PM
After listening to the Sports Guru and how he pieced the information together, I think he's spot on. Bus Cook is feeding the beast (the media).

i dont doubt that...but it doesnt seem to stop anyone from calling Cutler a whiner or McD an idiot

TXBRONC
03-12-2009, 01:03 PM
i dont doubt that...but it doesnt seem to stop anyone from calling Cutler a whiner or McD an idiot

Yep and I don't like it anymore than you do.

Lonestar
03-12-2009, 01:10 PM

now with the latest revelation about jays scum sucking shyster lawyer.. the plot un-thickens some what..

FOLLOW the MONEY folks..

Lonestar
03-12-2009, 01:16 PM

~G

If bus has his way jay gets the biggest contract in NFL history or so says the article that TX put up this AM..

As you said it should be the agent calming the waters but he is stirring it.. for the simple reason MONEY..

Not giving the emotional, immature almost irrational kid the right things to say, BUT instead pointing into the direction that can have NO positive endings for US..

getlynched47
03-12-2009, 01:19 PM
"I'm hoping I get a chance to talk to Jay at some point," Dawkins said. "To me, you handle things inside. If you have a problem with a teammate, you deal with him. If you have a problem with your head coach, you deal with him, and then you move forward."

I love this part in the article. Dawkins is taking command of this team even though he's only been here for about 3 weeks!

Cutler needs to get a pep-talk from Dawkins.....and so does McDipShit

silkamilkamonico
03-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Funny how nobody that takes the stance of "Jay has every right to be pi$$ed and is handling it like he should" has posted in this thread yet.

bcbronc
03-12-2009, 04:14 PM
so...Dawkins hates Cutler too, eh.....

:coffee:

;)

silkamilkamonico
03-12-2009, 04:17 PM
so...Dawkins hates Cutler too, eh.....

:coffee:

;)

I don't think he hates Cutler. I think he's concerned that Cutler doesn't care enough to his teammates or the organization to try and settle a difference face to face instead of lambashing them through the media, which, face it, is something a juvenile would do. Or a girl.

Broncospsycho77
03-12-2009, 04:28 PM
So Ashton Kutcher hasn't been seen anywhere near Dove Valley yet, right?

TXBRONC
03-12-2009, 04:34 PM
I don't think he hates Cutler. I think he's concerned that Cutler doesn't care enough to his teammates or the organization to try and settle a difference face to face instead of lambashing them through the media, which, face it, is something a juvenile would do. Or a girl.

Yes Dawkins made some very good points, but I still would go where you're going with it.

BroncoWave
03-12-2009, 04:36 PM
While Dawkins makes some very good points, how the hell do you what he thinks about Culter? That's right you don't, you just think you're clairvoyant.

Um, wow. He was just offering his opinion. I didn't see him claim anywhere that he knows what Dawkins is thinking.

But I do think it would be pretty silly to assume that Dawkins "hates" Cutler. He hasn't even met him yet.

TXBRONC
03-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Um, wow. He was just offering his opinion. I didn't see him claim anywhere that he knows what Dawkins is thinking.

But I do think it would be pretty silly to assume that Dawkins "hates" Cutler. He hasn't even met him yet.

You're right and I edited the post.

silkamilkamonico
03-12-2009, 04:45 PM
While Dawkins makes some very good points, how the hell do you what he thinks about Culter? That's right you don't, you just think you're clairvoyant.

Apparently you missed the statement "I think".

"How the hell do you know that I 'think' I'm clairvoyant? That's right you don't, you just think you're........clairvoyant."

TXBRONC
03-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Apparently you missed the statement "I think".

"How the hell do you know that I 'think' I'm clairvoyant? That's right you don't, you just think you're........clairvoyant."

FYI I changed that post.

silkamilkamonico
03-12-2009, 04:53 PM
FYI I changed that post.

I saw that. I apologize.

TXBRONC
03-12-2009, 05:21 PM
I saw that. I apologize.

No need apologize, I was the one that erred.

fcspikeit
03-12-2009, 05:40 PM

Who was the named source from the FO? Please provide the article in which someone from Dove Valley made a statement on the phone conversation..

My understanding is that both sources were unnamed, It was said there is a gag order at Dove valley and because of that the team wouldn't release a comment about the phone conversation...

Therefore, regardless what side you believe, one is not any more credible then the other :coffee:

fcspikeit
03-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Funny how nobody that takes the stance of "Jay has every right to be pi$$ed and is handling it like he should" has posted in this thread yet.

I thought G made some great points.. :coffee:

Den21vsBal19
03-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Who was the named source from the FO? Please provide the article in which someone from Dove Valley made a statement on the phone conversation..

My understanding is that both sources were unnamed, It was said there is a gag order at Dove valley and because of that the team wouldn't release a comment about the phone conversation...

Therefore, regardless what side you believe, one is not any more credible then the other :coffee:
Circumstantially, I'd say the negative report is probably the more credible, as if the call was positive, someone would have probably made a statement to that effect, even if there were no specifics.................

It's in noone's interests, however, to 'officially' reveal that things didn't go well

What a Charlie Foxtrot :tsk:

fcspikeit
03-12-2009, 05:55 PM

~G

Your right again G!

Now the best we can hope for is that Cutler does what Trent Green said and shows up to camp and takes control of HIS team..

He will have to be the bigger man here, it's clear McDipshit has no idea how to resolve this situation peacefully, I'm hoping Cutler will show up and go to work, His teammates need someone they can trust to take control, they need Cutler to step up.. Who knows, maybe McKid will be able to learn from Cutler's example and it will make him a better coach? If not, at least he will have no one to blame for his failures and Bowlen can act accordingly.. Either way, the Broncos will be better off..

If Jay can be the bigger man here, put on his high waters and wade through all of McKids shit, he will have shown to his teammates and Mr Bowlen how committed he is to them and this organization..

BroncoWave
03-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Your right again G!

Now the best we can hope for is that Cutler does what Trent Green said and shows up to camp and takes control of HIS team..

He will have to be the bigger man here, it's clear McDipshit has no idea how to resolve this situation peacefully, I'm hoping Cutler will show up and go to work, His teammates need someone they can trust to take control, they need Cutler to step up.. Who knows, maybe McKid will be able to learn from Cutler's example and it will make him a better coach? If not, at least he will have no one to blame for his failures and Bowlen can act accordingly.. Either way, the Broncos will be better off..

If Jay can be the bigger man here, put on his high waters and wade through all of McKids shit, he will have shown to his teammates and Mr Bowlen how committed he is to them and this organization..

Weren't you just saying that no one source is more credible than the other? Because it seems by this statement that you are clearly on the side of the one who said the meeting didn't go well.