PDA

View Full Version : Wide Receivers and Tight Ends

MOtorboat
02-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Wide Receivers and Tight Ends

Continuing on the position by position roster situation with the Broncos, we go to the wide receivers and tight ends.

Under Contract:
Demaryius Thomas, WR
Eric Decker, WR
D'Andre Goodwin, WR
Virgil Green, TE
Julius Thomas, TE

Restricted Free Agents:

Unrestricted Free Agents:
Eddie Royal, WR
Matthew Willis, WR
Daniel Fells, TE
Dante Rosario, TE

Draft Targets:

Free Agent Targets:

TheReverend
02-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Significantly talented group but one that needs serious development in nearly every aspect of their game.

I'm hopeful for a vet WR brought in during FA that can show the younger guys how to properly prepare in the NFL to be successful. Also very optimistic over what kinds of improvements a full off-season (and a HEALTHY one for Demaryius/Decker etc) can bring.

MOtorboat
02-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Significantly talented group but one that needs serious development in nearly every aspect of their game.

I'm hopeful for a vet WR brought in during FA that can show the younger guys how to properly prepare in the NFL to be successful. Also very optimistic over what kinds of improvements a full off-season (and a HEALTHY one for Demaryius/Decker etc) can bring.

Any vet in particular?

I see some changeover at this position. Royal will be most likely back, Willis not so much. Both veteran tight ends are probably gone. Maybe one FA brought in.

I haven't heard a lot of talk about WRs in the draft.

TheReverend
02-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Any vet in particular?

I see some changeover at this position. Royal will be most likely back, Willis not so much. Both veteran tight ends are probably gone. Maybe one FA brought in.

I haven't heard a lot of talk about WRs in the draft.

I'm personally hopeful Willis stays while Royal walks.

My personal preference for addition would be Reggie Wayne. At 34 he's not looking for top at his position money, won't be TOO concerned with how much he gets the ball for future contract incentive, and clearly has a LOT to offer Demaryius and Decker (like Marvin Harrison did for him) and still perform at a very high level on the field.

I'm not certain the FO would pony up the necessary money, though, so my next tier includes guys like Patrick Crayton and Kevin Curtis. Guys that will be more important helping "coach up" our already established talent, and can contribute to depth in a slot or #4 role as well as solid downfield blockers for Tim's inevitable spread scrambles.

Just my opinion.

turftoad
02-04-2012, 11:51 AM
We have two young pass catching TE's and should probably keep a blocking one. I would also like to see us keep Royal. I'm not overly impressed with Willis at all.

slim
02-04-2012, 11:52 AM
There are a ton of big time free agents at WR (and a few good TEs)

Wes Welker
Vincent Jackson
Steve Johnson
M. Colston
DeSean Jackson
Dwayne Bowe
Jermichael Finely

I doubt Denver will pay any of those guys, but the second tier has some players too.

Mario Manningham (my choice).
Pierre Garcon
Robert Meachem
Laurent Robinson
Fred Davis (yes, please)
John Carlson

CoachChaz
02-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Totally on board with Manningham or Meacham. I doubt Snyder/Shanny let Davis walk

BroncoWave
02-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Meachem would be a great fit in our offense because all he is good at is catching deep bombs which is what Tebow is best at throwing.

weazel
02-04-2012, 02:27 PM
I like Laurent Robinson, I dont think he will garner a ton of money

Lancane
02-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Matt Willis is a restricted free agent, so the chances are high that he'll return for depth and due to his knowledge of the offense or parts of it.

Depending on Vincent Jacksons' contract and other issues, he could make a move for Denver being that he's from here - I wouldn't bank on it, but it's a possibility, though I think San Diego would most likely tag him in order to get picks out of the deal.

Personally I would like to see Meachem come to Denver, chances are slim IMHO that Royal will return, he'll be sought after by other teams, most likely Chicago, Washington, San Diego, Miami and Oakland, he's a few years removed from being a starting wide receiver with good numbers and now can barely get on the field other then as a third or fourth wide besides on Special Teams, he'll be looking to compete and I think he'll see Denver as more of a speed bump due to the unknowns and questions of the offense right now.

Timmy!
02-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Keep royal (move him to full time return duty and the 4th wr spot) and give me meachem or manningham and call it good. Also fells should be resigned for his blocking.

Lancane
02-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Keep royal (move him to full time return duty and the 4th wr spot) and give me meachem or manningham and call it good. Also fells should be resigned for his blocking.

That's exactly why Royal will go elsewhere, he wants to compete for a starting spot. Not to mention that he's continually lost his spot through the years and within three different regimes. It would be a huge plus for this unit, should he return...I just don't see it happening.

Ziggy
02-04-2012, 04:02 PM
I like Laurent Robinson, I dont think he will garner a ton of money

I think he will, Weazel. He started 4 games, and played in 14. He finished with 11 td's on 15.9 ypc. He's a game breaker. Some one is going to pay the man.

TheReverend
02-04-2012, 04:04 PM
I think he will, Weazel. He started 4 games, and played in 14. He finished with 11 td's on 15.9 ypc. He's a game breaker. Some one is going to pay the man.

Not to mention over 850 yards in spot duty.

He'll be one of the BEST WR options to hit the open market, and most likely the best YOUNG WR option.

BroncoSexyDaddy
02-04-2012, 04:28 PM
I'm personally hopeful Willis stays while Royal walks.

My personal preference for addition would be Reggie Wayne. At 34 he's not looking for top at his position money, won't be TOO concerned with how much he gets the ball for future contract incentive, and clearly has a LOT to offer Demaryius and Decker (like Marvin Harrison did for him) and still perform at a very high level on the field.

I'm not certain the FO would pony up the necessary money, though, so my next tier includes guys like Patrick Crayton and Kevin Curtis. Guys that will be more important helping "coach up" our already established talent, and can contribute to depth in a slot or #4 role as well as solid downfield blockers for Tim's inevitable spread scrambles.

Just my opinion.I would let Royal walk,its more better options out there than Royal.Matt Willis got my attention on special team coverage,he downed the ball quite frequently inside the 10 yard line,I would keep him.

BroncoWave
02-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Let's bring back Quan Cosby!

SmilinAssasSin27
02-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Gimme Meachem

topscribe
02-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Totally on board with Manningham or Meacham. I doubt Snyder/Shanny let Davis walk

I knew a football player who went to prison. He went in as a tight end and came
back out as a wide receiver.

Oh well, :focus:

Manningham would be nice. But I think we may be just a tad too impatient with
the receivers we have? Thomas is a star in the making. Decker should make a
fine #2.

I would keep Royal . . . IF they would use him right. That is, with his quickness
and speed, why wouldn't he work out well in a McCluster/Sproles type of role?

Regarding TEs, Julius Thomas showed some talent before his injury. And did
Green not also? Guys, we have to remember these young men did not have a
training camp to speak of. Grab another for debt, yes, but I can see other
needs that would trump this one, IMO.

-----

BroncoWave
02-04-2012, 10:36 PM
I will be pissed if Decker comes into this year as the #2 WR. At least bring in someone to compete with him. I'd be happy with Decker as our #3 but I don't think he's good enough to be a 2.

bcbronc
02-05-2012, 12:39 AM
As far as the TEs go, I'd be okay with re-signing Fells and Rosario and running with the status quo for 2012. The two vets are at least useful, especially if they are the 2nd and 3rd option in 2 and 3 TE sets, which we see a fair amount of. Gives Green and JThomas another season to prove they're worthy before using more resources on the position.

WRs, we need a veteran in the mix, even if it's at the expense of Royal. I don't think it will be any of the big names though. More like a Josh Morgan, Roy Williams or Braylon Edwards. Not sexy names but big targets that have put up 40-50 catch seasons and won't have long lists of suitors and can fit into the top 3-4 rotation.

Bring back Willis, he won't be expensive and like mentioned he did a good job on punt coverage. Offers an option as a return guy, and...has room for growth as a WR.

Royal, like to have him back as a primary return guy and WR depth, but depends on what he's asking for (money and roll). He's also pretty fragile. If we can draft a top return guy, then I'm okay with parting ways with Royal (no real problem with having him back either). As for using him in a Sproles roll, we tried it. He motioned into the backfield to be the third option, ran some WR screens etc and wasn't overly effective.

DT I think is on his way to being a #1. Decker is looking like at least a top 3 guy. Overall, I think we're okay at WR and TE and should get better through internal development. I don't think we need to spend our likely limited signing cash on a bigger name UFA WR.

Ziggy
02-05-2012, 02:35 AM
Regarding TEs, Julius Thomas showed some talent before his injury. And did
Green not also? Guys, we have to remember these young men did not have a
training camp to speak of. Grab another for debt, yes, but I can see other
needs that would trump this one, IMO.

-----

Green showed promise as a blocker, not as much as a receiver. Thomas showed promise as a receiver, and absolutely none as a blocker. I'd actually like to see Green moved to FB. He good strength at the POA, and can catch coming out of the backfield.

hamrob
02-05-2012, 12:12 PM
I think we should consider resigning Royal to play the slot. Othwerwise we could draft Kendall Wright in the 3rd round. I'd rather stick with Royal.

The best guy out there to help teach our young WR's, is probably Reggie Wayne. Othere than Wayne, there really aren't any veterans out there that remind me of Rod Smith. I just don't see us signing anyone in Free Agency worth a turd. We just won't spend the money that the big name guys are going to be looking for. Perhaps we look at some familiar names, like Domonic Hixon or Brandon Lloyd? I truly believe we use a 4th or 5th round pick on a speed guy to help round out this group.

As for TE's, looking at the Free Agents out there, I think guys like Fells and Rosario are just as good. Looking at the draft, I really don't want to use our first 3 picks on a TE, and I don't think anyone will have more upside then our two guys...Green, Thomas.

In summary: I think we draft a speed guy at WR...and hold pat with the rest of our squad. This is a young group, that will have a full offseason to develop...with the same coaching staff. I wouldn't be surprised to see Goodwin, Dell, or even Toon, Orton or Grisham step up next year.

Free Agent WR's:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2012/fa/wr.html

College Prospects:

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2012/profiles.cfm?pos=WR

bcbronc
02-05-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm not sure Reggie Wayne is going to want to cone to a team that completes 10 passes and calls it the best passing game of the season. I'm thinking where Peytin ends up Reggie will be right behind. if not, you can pretty much guarantee RW goes somewhere with at least a top 10 QB.