PDA

View Full Version : Broncos have some flexibility for both free agents and the draft

Denver Native (Carol)
02-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Today's questions come from Matt B.:

Q: How much do you think the Broncos will spend in free agency? And do you think they would trade their No. 1 pick?

A: Matt, the Broncos have termed their planned approach to free agency as "aggressive, but smart" and said they are in search of what they called "value signings."

rest - interesting - one thing explained is why a little over $10 mil is committed before free agency

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19888292

turftoad
02-04-2012, 11:17 AM
"value signings." Sounds like they are going to add depth and not spend big money on big name free agents.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-04-2012, 11:37 AM
from article

This year, Champ Bailey has a $1 million roster bonus due March 15, a relatively small consideration in the NFL world but still a check the Broncos must write, and Von Miller will have a $9.15 million portion of his original signing bonus coming to him March 31 as a deferred payment.

That's just over $10 million in cash already accounted for before the team begins its free-agency pursuits.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19888292

NightTrainLayne
02-04-2012, 11:42 AM
"value signings." Sounds like they are going to add depth and not spend big money on big name free agents.

Not necessarily. Willis McGehee was a "value" signing. Value means that they don't want to overpay. They did a good job with it last year.

turftoad
02-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Not necessarily. Willis McGehee was a "value" signing. Value means that they don't want to overpay. They did a good job with it last year.

I agree. I don't think they had thoughts that McGahee would have the role that he did so it was a great value signing. I believe they signed him as a back up or role player.

Turned out good!

Denver Native (Carol)
02-04-2012, 11:49 AM

Totally agree - they have $10 mil already committed, I have no idea how much that leaves them to spend.

underrated29
02-04-2012, 12:21 PM
Totally agree - they have $10 mil already committed, I have no idea how much that leaves them to spend.

I believe we have either the most cap space or third most in the NFL. We have lots of money to spend if we want.

underrated29
02-04-2012, 12:22 PM
I agree. I don't think they had thoughts that McGahee would have the role that he did so it was a great value signing. I believe they signed him as a back up or role player.

Turned out good!

I don't know, some of us thought he would be awesome for us.

TheReverend
02-04-2012, 12:27 PM

Shanahan will be off the books. Along with Orton's bloated contract. On top of saving 2.5 mill by cutting him early. On top of more "budget money" for winning a playoff game and the extra rev brought in from playing Tebow.

Should have plenty of $ to offset things like that.

MOtorboat
02-04-2012, 01:56 PM
The salary floor doesn't kick in, either, until next year...

Denver Native (Carol)
02-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Shanahan will be off the books. Along with Orton's bloated contract. On top of saving 2.5 mill by cutting him early. On top of more "budget money" for winning a playoff game and the extra rev brought in from playing Tebow.

What extra rev for playing Tebow are you referring to? :confused:

TheReverend
02-04-2012, 02:02 PM
What extra rev for playing Tebow are you referring to? :confused:

Ratings $, filled stadiums (*the year prior, we had several games where the stadium was only half full heading into the second half - may have been "sellouts" but empty seats dont buy concessions and merch), etc.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Ratings $, filled stadiums (*the year prior, we had several games where the stadium was only half full heading into the second half - may have been "sellouts" but empty seats dont buy concessions and merch), etc.

The Metropolitan Stadium District owns Sports Authority at Mile High, so are you sure the Broncos make the money off of the concessions? Also, the merchandise is split evenly among all NFL teams. Not sure how ratings would bring in additional money to the Broncos.

TheReverend
02-04-2012, 02:58 PM
The Metropolitan Stadium District owns Sports Authority at Mile High, so are you sure the Broncos make the money off of the concessions? Also, the merchandise is split evenly among all NFL teams. Not sure how ratings would bring in additional money to the Broncos.

Don't want to get into several page long posts going into too many details, but just in case you actually care for in depth answers to those questions:

http://ht.cdn.turner.com/si/images/2011/07/25/New_2011_Deal_Summary_7.pdf

Lancane
02-04-2012, 03:19 PM

Let's clear up a few misconceptions...

Shanahan's contract didn't count against the cap nor McDaniels, only Bowlen's overall pocketbook - coaching contracts are not included in current cap or with any of the changes set to begin in the future regarding the cap. The money for staff is paid through the corporate ownership of the team or organization.

Cap is originated from a determined overall set value, it does not change due to increased revenue for any team. Similar to jersey sales, that while the NFL nets an increase, the team does not, or in this case the team's cap does not profit and expand only ownership and a fair amount is delved out in bonuses to players and in some cases, staff members.

There is no extra revenue for Denver regarding Tim. Denver has continued to sell out regarding ticketing from long before Tebow and will long after. The fiscal intake of Tebow based products benefits either the NFL in whole since there is a deal in place regarding product revenue sharing, or Tim if it's his own line of products, which I don't believe he has at this time.

The only thing stated here in which is a benefit is Orton's contract, but it's not exactly a staggering amount in terms of the fiscal spending that will take place.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Don't want to get into several page long posts going into too many details, but just in case you actually care for in depth answers to those questions:

http://ht.cdn.turner.com/si/images/2011/07/25/New_2011_Deal_Summary_7.pdf

I am not trying to be a pain, and I did read the above, but, unless I missed something, I did not see anything that specifically applied to revenue for the Broncos only.

TheReverend
02-04-2012, 03:31 PM
I am not trying to be a pain, and I did read the above, but, unless I missed something, I did not see anything that specifically applied to revenue for the Broncos only.

It's okay. Sorry if that link didn't cover it. But to hit some specifics teams keep parking, concession revenue, local radio, preseason TV deals, luxury suite, stadium naming rights, and sponsorships for themselves.

Probably a few things I'm missing too

Denver Native (Carol)
02-04-2012, 03:41 PM
It's okay. Sorry if that link didn't cover it. But to hit some specifics teams keep parking, concession revenue, local radio, preseason TV deals, luxury suite, stadium naming rights, and sponsorships for themselves.

Probably a few things I'm missing too

I am sure that is true, when it comes to stadiums which are privately owned; however, in the case of the Broncos, the stadium is owned by the Metropolitan Stadium District.

Sports Authority will pay an average of $6 million per year to have its name on the Broncos' stadium, with 50 percent of that revenue going to the team and 50 percent going to the stadium district.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18693613

Since the Broncos only get 50% of the revenue for the naming rights, I am not sure if the Broncos get all of the concession, parking, etc., if they get a portion, or if they get nothing at all. Also, players' salaries is not all the Broncos pay - they pay their employees, they buy the equipment for the training room, etc., etc., etc.

fvkw
02-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Anything that has "mania" attached to it means $$$$ !!!! :-)

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Denver Native (Carol)
02-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Anything that has "mania" attached to it means $$$$ !!!! :-)

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Please explain what anything that has "mania" attached to it means $$$$$, and to who does it mean money?

DenBronx
02-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Please explain what anything that has "mania" attached to it means $$$$$, and to who does it mean money?

Please write me a brief essay in 450 words or less on why you a heckling the new posters and who does #2 work for?

Lancane
02-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Please write me a brief essay in 450 words or less on why you a heckling the new posters and who does #2 work for?

DB, Carol wasn't heckling a newbie, Rev is an older member who doesn't post often and like many others he at times posts some quality posts and at other times questionable posts...this time he stated a few things that were not true, not by design I believe, just honest errors - 'we all make them'.

DenBronx
02-05-2012, 02:04 PM
DB, Carol wasn't heckling a newbie, Rev is an older member who doesn't post often and like many others he at times posts some quality posts and at other times questionable posts...this time he stated a few things that were not true, not by design I believe, just honest errors - 'we all make them'.

I know, Carols the nicest person on here.

I'm probablly the meanest though...:laugh:

TheReverend
02-06-2012, 12:15 AM
I am sure that is true, when it comes to stadiums which are privately owned; however, in the case of the Broncos, the stadium is owned by the Metropolitan Stadium District.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18693613

Since the Broncos only get 50% of the revenue for the naming rights, I am not sure if the Broncos get all of the concession, parking, etc., if they get a portion, or if they get nothing at all. Also, players' salaries is not all the Broncos pay - they pay their employees, they buy the equipment for the training room, etc., etc., etc.

Hmmm... well I'll be damned then! I'm certain they must still get some cut you certainly appear to be right that they're not taking in all of it at least :/

Either way, "high five"d for teaching me something :)

SOCALORADO.
02-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Hmmm... well I'll be damned then! I'm certain they must still get some cut you certainly appear to be right that they're not taking in all of it at least :/

Either way, "high five"d for teaching me something :)

Theres that education from Penn St. at work for ya again! :D
Yeah, its mon.

The Glue Factory
02-06-2012, 07:21 PM
I believe we have either the most cap space or third most in the NFL. We have lots of money to spend if we want.

There is a difference between having the money to pay the players and the league allowed maximum the players can be paid. This article is regarding the money being spent. The Broncos can obligate themselves to pay all the players a certain amount of money but if they don't have the cash to pay it there's gonna be trouble!