PDA

View Full Version : Should Bettis get the HOF over TD?

Dzone
02-04-2012, 01:36 AM
This is a travesty. So does TD have to wait years now and go in as an old timer like Floyd had to do?
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Charles-Haley-Bill-Parcells-Jerome-Bettis-Hall-of-Fame-finalists-020312/

RebelRocker
02-04-2012, 01:42 AM
This is a travesty. So does TD have to wait years now and go in as an old timer like Floyd had to do?
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Charles-Haley-Bill-Parcells-Jerome-Bettis-Hall-of-Fame-finalists-020312/

EAST COAST BIAS!!! Bettis was a fatass of a RB that played for the Steelers and since he was "hefty", he was hyped up as this great back.

Sorry, but I do think it's a travesty if he gets in and TD never does.

Dzone
02-04-2012, 01:50 AM
HOF is a sham. Theres at least an entire hall in Canton who wish they were as great and dominant as TD was in his short career, which was way more productive than Sayers, who got in mainly because of one game. What a joke.

Army Bronco
02-04-2012, 01:55 AM
Hell no!! What a joke!

OrangeHoof
02-04-2012, 01:59 AM
Hold your water. They haven't announced it yet. Didn't we see Donnie Shell as a finalist a few times but he never got in? I think Shell and Frenchy Fuqua were the only two Steelers from the 1970s who aren't in the Hall.

Let's see who wins before we go off on a tangent. BTW, get ready for the day about 20 Patriots start crashing the Hall, which will then leave more Broncos overlooked.

Dzone
02-04-2012, 02:43 AM
Hold your water. They haven't announced it yet. Didn't we see Donnie Shell as a finalist a few times but he never got in? I think Shell and Frenchy Fuqua were the only two Steelers from the 1970s who aren't in the Hall.

Let's see who wins before we go off on a tangent. BTW, get ready for the day about 20 Patriots start crashing the Hall, which will then leave more Broncos overlooked.
Thats cool man, thats your opinion , but it is not "going off on a tangent" for Bronco fans to be pissed that TD is getting hosed

broken12
02-04-2012, 05:49 AM
Curtis martin over td is a joke as well

TXBRONC
02-04-2012, 07:51 AM
I agree that Davis belongs in the Hall of Fame but that doesn't make Bettis any less worthy of being in. He's not the one keeping Davis out of the Hall. It's the voters.

Shazam!
02-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Bettis and Martin had longevity that TD didnt. ad he been able to play 2 more years he'd be in already. TD's career, aside from his great years and championships, is tragic.

Chef Zambini
02-04-2012, 09:25 AM
no running back has the post season numbers that TD does regardless of their 'longevity'.
In the post season / play-offs, when running the football is a premium, and teams are there because they can STO{P the run, TDs yards per carry, yards per game and winning % is betteer than ANY back currently in the HOF !
TD has more 100 yard games in the play-offs than emmit smith !

CoachChaz
02-04-2012, 09:51 AM
no running back has the post season numbers that TD does regardless of their 'longevity'.
In the post season / play-offs, when running the football is a premium, and teams are there because they can STO{P the run, TDs yards per carry, yards per game and winning % is betteer than ANY back currently in the HOF !

Troy Aikman has more rings than Elway. I guess he was more deserving of the HoF than John was.

Leave homerism out of it and take the careers as a whole and Bettis and Martin ar at least as deserving as TD...and likely more

MOtorboat
02-04-2012, 10:20 AM
I agree that Davis belongs in the Hall of Fame but that doesn't make Bettis any less worthy of being in. He's not the one keeping Davis out of the Hall. It's the voters.

This. They all belong.

spikerman
02-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Troy Aikman has more rings than Elway. I guess he was more deserving of the HoF than John was.

Leave homerism out of it and take the careers as a whole and Bettis and Martin ar at least as deserving as TD...and likely more

Homereism aside, neither Martin or Bettis were as dominating during their times as TD was. Yes, his career was cut short, but few players were as dominant as TD while he was healthy. IMO, unless you're a one-hit wonder, I think a 2000 yard season should be like 500 HR in baseball. Until the steroid era, that was almost an automatic induction. True 500 HR covers an entire career where a 2000 yard season is for one year, but it is so rare that it at least deserves special consideration especially on top of his other numbers along with his NFL and SB MVP awards.

For the record, I also think that Rod Smith should be in since his number are very similar to Michael Irvin's. Of course, if the HoF can't see to put Gradishar in, I don't hold much hope.

BORDERLINE
02-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Hell NO!!!!

TD needs to be in the FAME without a doubt.

He would have busted the record books open had Shanny not sat him in the 4th quarters of those blow out games and he still put up #'s.

2 Super Bowl Rings a NFL MVP plus a 2,000+ yard rushing season!!!!! and they don't want him in the FAME because his longevity?? What more could the man have done!!!!

BroncoWave
02-04-2012, 11:11 AM

You completely missed his point. It's not about having rings. It's about completely dominating in the postseason and shattering postseason records.

elsid13
02-04-2012, 11:13 AM
I don't consider Bettis HOF worthy. When we look back of his era of play, did anyone every really consider the back of that time? TD - yes, Martin- Yes, Faulk- Yes, Bettis- no. Staying healthy and falling forward aren't HOF credentials

Nomad
02-04-2012, 11:16 AM
I don't consider Bettis HOF worthy. When we look back of his era of play, did anyone every really consider the back of that time? TD - yes, Martin- Yes, Faulk- Yes, Bettis- no. Staying healthy and falling forward aren't HOF credentials

Agreed! The team he played for is what will get him in the HOF. While the team TD played for will most likely keep him out. If TD played for the Steelers, he'd be in the HOF already. JMO

CoachChaz
02-04-2012, 12:46 PM

You completely missed his point. It's not about having rings. It's about completely dominating in the postseason and shattering postseason records.

Oh...i got it now. My bad.

I guess im on board. TD and Timmy Smith for HoF!!!

CoachChaz
02-04-2012, 12:47 PM
By the standards listed in this thread, Jamal Lewis was the greatest running back ever

Ravage!!!
02-04-2012, 12:50 PM
I don't think its a Sham because Bettis had more years. But I don't think Martin belongs in at all. He was never dominant. You have to have MORE than purely playing for a long time.

Dzone
02-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Beattie Feathers should get in the Hall before Bettis or Martin!
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/10/08/chff/

fvkw
02-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Boy, I hope someday, Davis gets in!!!! What a great back!

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Canmore
02-04-2012, 02:23 PM
In the post season / play-offs, when running the football is a premium, and teams are there because they can STOP the run, TD's yards per carry, yards per game and winning % is betteer than ANY back currently in the HOF !

TD's numbers in the post season will probably never be approached especially with the passing rules set up the way they are. He is simply the most dominant back in post season history and that is without question. This alone should put him in the Hall of Fame. On the biggest stage TD was the best ever.

Chef Zambini
02-04-2012, 02:33 PM
I don't think its a Sham because Bettis had more years. But I don't think Martin belongs in at all. He was never dominant. You have to have MORE than purely playing for a long time.ironic they use the same arguement against both 'backs, great seasons and numbers but no longevity.
great longevity but no stand-out numbers.
In the era of the SINGLE Back, there is something to be said about the hall of fame value of an every down, consistent longevity back like martin.
bettis, not sure I am sold on him as HOF material.
Used like a fullback, when you needed half a yard he got you one.
How many FB are there in the HOF for doing what he did and more so !

DenBronx
02-04-2012, 02:34 PM
They both deserve to be in.

Bettis just played longer and TDs injury forced him to retire early. Eventually I think TD gets in but maybe not this year.

Chef Zambini
02-04-2012, 02:37 PM
By the standards listed in this thread, Jamal Lewis was the greatest running back everjamal lewis had a meteoric career,got alot of east coast pub, but... it doesnt hold a candle to TD on any plateau.

Chef Zambini
02-04-2012, 02:40 PM
They both deserve to be in.

Bettis just played longer and TDs injury forced him to retire early. Eventually I think TD gets in but maybe not this year.TD already excluded, BETTIS and MARTIN are still in the running, finalists, thats why all the anamosity and comparisons.
one or both of these guys will get in before TD, yet if you COMBINED both of their post season 3s, yards touchdowns, first downs, wins, winning % and multiplied each number by TWO, they probably dont compare to TDs numbers !

Canmore
02-04-2012, 04:06 PM
TD already excluded, BETTIS and MARTIN are still in the running, finalists, thats why all the anamosity and comparisons.
one or both of these guys will get in before TD, yet if you COMBINED both of their post season 3s, yards touchdowns, first downs, wins, winning % and multiplied each number by TWO, they probably dont compare to TDs numbers !

Nobody's numbers compare to Davis'. That is the point.

Postseason rushing Terrell Davis.

Average gain 5.59. The second closest player is Marcus Allen at 5.04 followed by Eric Dickerson at 4.89. On the biggest stage, Davis averaged over half a yard more than his next closest competitor. Half a yard! That is nearly unbelievable.

142.5 yards per game. NFL stats doesn't list players per game average which is beyond me but for sake of comparison Emmitt Smith averaged 93.3 yards per game. Davis averaged 49 yards more per game in the post season. 49 more yards! In NFL numbers it might as well be a mile.

Davis' numbers will probably never be reached, not with any significant number of games played. Terrell played in eight postseason match-ups rushing for over 100 yards seven straight times. Davis rushed for 91 yards versus Jacksonville in his post season debut. The only time in his career he didn't go over 100.

TD's average yards per game and per rush are just staggering compared to rest of the league. Quite simply he belongs in the Hall of Fame!

arapaho2
02-04-2012, 04:40 PM
tr is just one of a few broncos that deserve to be in that may never get in because of the east coast bias

TD
atwater
gradishar
mechklenberg
possibly smith

Canmore
02-04-2012, 04:45 PM
td is just one of a few broncos that deserve to be in that may never get in because of the east coast bias

TD
atwater
gradishar
mechklenberg
possibly smith

It really is a shame. I truly believe that had these players played on the east coast, they all would be in the Hall of Fame. When it comes to recognition, playing in the west sucks.

Lancane
02-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Curtis Martin, nine 1,000 plus yard seasons, voted to the Pro-Bowl five times, and five time AP All Pro, NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, Ed Block Courage Award, FedEx Ground Player of the Year, Bart Starr Man of the Year, fourth leading rusher of all time.

Jerome Bettis, eight 1,000 plus yard seasons, voted to the Pro-Bowl six times, and a two-time AP All Pro, AP Offensive Rookie of the Year, AP NFL Comeback Player of the Year, PFWA Comeback Player of the Year, Walter Payton Man of the Year, and Sixth leading rusher in NFL History.

Terrell Davis, four 1,000 plus yard seasons, one 2,000 plus yard season, voted to the Pro-Bowl three times, named an AP All-Pro three times, two-time AP Offensive Player of the Year, Super Bowl MVP, NFL All Decade Team, NFL MVP, UPI AFC Player of the Year, PFWA NFL MVP.

I would say that all three deserve to be in the HOF, and that many on here are being short sighted due to the lack of respect that we've seen the Broncos receive over the years.

Canmore
02-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Curtis Martin, nine 1,000 plus yard seasons, voted to the Pro-Bowl five times, and five time AP All Pro, NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, Ed Block Courage Award, FedEx Ground Player of the Year, Bart Starr Man of the Year, fourth leading rusher of all time.

Jerome Bettis, eight 1,000 plus yard seasons, voted to the Pro-Bowl six times, and a two-time AP All Pro, AP Offensive Rookie of the Year, AP NFL Comeback Player of the Year, PFWA Comeback Player of the Year, Walter Payton Man of the Year, and Sixth leading rusher in NFL History.

Terrell Davis, four 1,000 plus yard seasons, one 2,000 plus yard season, voted to the Pro-Bowl three times, named an AP All-Pro three times, two-time AP Offensive Player of the Year, Super Bowl MVP, NFL All Decade Team, NFL MVP, UPI AFC Player of the Year, PFWA NFL MVP.

I would say that all three deserve to be in the HOF, and that many on here are being short sighted due to the lack of respect that we've seen the Broncos receive over the years.

I don't make slight of what Bettis or Martin have done. They are certainly Hall of Fame worthy. It is just a shame that Davis' career was cut short and longevity and where you played seem to be such determining factors in whom gets in.

Dzone
02-04-2012, 05:21 PM
^ good post. I guess they will be announcing the HOF class in an hour or so?

Lancane
02-04-2012, 05:29 PM
I don't make slight of what Bettis or Martin have done. They are certainly Hall of Fame worthy. It is just a shame that Davis' career was cut short and longevity and where you played seem to be such determining factors in whom gets in.

I couldn't agree more, of course the better question (IMHO) is why Karl Mecklenburg, Steve Atwater, Randy Gradishar, Louis Wright and Tom Jackson are not in the HOF already. I do believe TD will eventually be inducted, but we've seen more then just him being snubbed by the biased voting.

Northman
02-04-2012, 05:40 PM
I think a 2000 yard season should be like 500 HR in baseball. Until the steroid era, that was almost an automatic induction.

Booya.

Very few player's hit that plateau and TD was one of them. He was a special player despite his career getting cut shorter than normal but he deserves the hall no doubt about it too me. Not sure if Bettis would be blocking his way in but i think we've all seen that the HOF favors the Cowboys and Steelers the most so considering how much talk there is about TD getting in or not getting in it may be a while before he does if at all. Hopefully with Floyd and Sharpe getting in it will start to break or loosen up the mold there.

Canmore
02-04-2012, 05:42 PM
I couldn't agree more, of course the better question (IMHO) is why Karl Mecklenburg, Steve Atwater, Randy Gradishar, Louis Wright and Tom Jackson are not in the HOF already. I do believe TD will eventually be inducted, but we've seen more then just him being snubbed by the biased voting.

All of the above deserve to be in the Hall of Fame, unfortunately I really don't see it happening. Will TD eventually get in? Maybe. While he was healthy, he was the best back in football (no offense to Barry Sanders). He is the most productive postseason back in history ( yards per attempt and yards per game). I admit I'm biased being a Broncos fan but Davis should be in the Hall of Fame along with Mecklenburg, Atwater, GRADISHAR, Wright and Jackson. The bias against the Broncos gets old.

Dzone
02-04-2012, 05:45 PM

Excellent Point.

OrangeHoof
02-04-2012, 06:38 PM
No Bettis this year but the Steelers still got one in - Dermonti Dawson. Curtis Martin was elected. I'm okay with that although his talent was more longevity (and East Coast notoriety) than dominance.

Make that TWO Steelers. Jack Butler, the veteran committee choice, was also a Steeler. Grrrr.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Anyone hating on CM or Bettis is a complete homer. Bettis was sick nasty and made Pittsburgh go. He was their offense. I hate the Steelers, but have to give him his due.

Ravage!!!
02-04-2012, 09:35 PM
My complaint with Martin is that Martin was NEVER ever considered to be the "best" in the NFL at his position. He was always "good"..he always contributed and played well. He stayed healthy and played for a lot of years. Bu the was NEVER dominant. He was never a "scary" RB to face... just consistant.

I think the NFL HoF should be awarded to those that were the BEST of the Best... not just those that were around a long time in the NFL. Martin was never one of "the best"...just good. He was good for a long time, but still nothing more than just "good."

Lancane
02-04-2012, 09:44 PM
My complaint with Martin is that Martin was NEVER ever considered to be the "best" in the NFL at his position. He was always "good"..he always contributed and played well. He stayed healthy and played for a lot of years. Bu the was NEVER dominant. He was never a "scary" RB to face... just consistant.

I think the NFL HoF should be awarded to those that were the BEST of the Best... not just those that were around a long time in the NFL. Martin was never one of "the best"...just good. He was good for a long time, but still nothing more than just "good."

But, wouldn't you consider a tough, productive player, even a running back, one who has accrued enough yards to be fourth all time on the rushing yardage leader boards, despite the generality of the player's skills to be just as honorable? If we separate those with more or less talent to those who worked hard and accomplished just as much, then we'd have to question a good number of inductees in the HOF.

Ravage!!!
02-04-2012, 09:50 PM
But, wouldn't you consider a tough, productive player, even a running back, one who has accrued enough yards to be fourth all time on the rushing yardage leader boards, despite the generality of the player's skills to be just as honorable? If we separate those with more or less talent to those who worked hard and accomplished just as much, then we'd have to question a good number of inductees in the HOF.

Martin was always a class act, but was NEVER one of the best. Is the HoF purely based on numbers in the NFL.. numbers that can be acquired by simply remaining healthy? Not to me. To me the best of the best deserve the HoF ballot and not someone that has acquired a ton of stats. Otherwise, we can then justify Vinny Testeverde being inducted into the HoF. He accumulated a TON of stats and was in the league a very long time. Was never one of the best, but always productive, and always contributed. Is that what I want to see in the NFL HoF even though Vinny worked very hard and accomplished a long career? No, I don't.

Canmore
02-04-2012, 09:52 PM

Agreed. I never thought of him as great. Still he had quite a career and he played on the east coast. That is a recipe for getting into the HOF.

Chef Zambini
02-05-2012, 10:08 AM

I would say that all three deserve to be in the HOF, and that many on here are being short sighted due to the lack of respect that we've seen the Broncos receive over the years.now post the play-off #s for each and you will see that TD sets himself apartfrom the other worthy contenders!
career ending injury, and not being gayle sayers, THATS hat is keeping TD out of the HOF ! If TD played for DALLAS or the STEELERS or ANY of the NY teams he would already be a first ballot HOF'er !

CoachChaz
02-05-2012, 10:53 AM
By the standards listed in this thread, Jamal Lewis was the greatest running back everjamal lewis had a meteoric career,got alot of east coast pub, but... it doesnt hold a candle to TD on any plateau.

Why not? He got his "500 homers", SB ring, playoff numbers, held the single game record. What else did he need to accomplish? In fact...one could argue he accomplished MORE than TD

spikerman
02-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Why not? He got his "500 homers", SB ring, playoff numbers, held the single game record. What else did he need to accomplish? In fact...one could argue he accomplished MORE than TD

I don't think anyone could honestly argue that. I have nothing against Lewis, but besides the 2000 yard season and the playoff numbers, Davis' NFL and SB MVP put him above Lewis in my opinion.

Of course, the point is probably moot because I don't think either of them will ever get in.

hamrob
02-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Curtis martin over td is a joke as wellIt's his longevity. Curtis Martin played for 11years. His first 10yrs were over 1,000 yard seasons. He rushed for more than 1500yds twice.

TD was better than Martin, while they were both playing (slightly), but Martin played at that level for twice as long as TD.

To me, if Sayers got in, TD should also get in.