PDA

View Full Version : Roger Goodell: NFL would expand to 34

Denver Native (Carol)
02-03-2012, 12:02 PM
INDIANAPOLIS -- Commissioner Roger Goodell says if the NFL puts a team in Los Angeles, it is probable the league would expand to 34 franchises.

Appearing Thursday night on "Costas Live" on NBC Sports Network, Goodell said the league "doesn't want to move any of our teams."

"We probably don't want to go to 33" teams by adding just one new club if a suitable stadium is built in the Los Angeles area, Goodell said. Instead, the league would consider adding two. An odd number of teams would pose scheduling problems, including at least one club being off each week, and would create one division with five teams.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/story/_/id/7535394/nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-says-34-teams-likely-nfl-adds-franchise-los-angeles

SOCALORADO.
02-03-2012, 12:14 PM
We already have one of the pro teams here.
http://www.neontommy.com/sites/default/files/uploads/uscfootball.jpg

OrangeHoof
02-03-2012, 12:14 PM
I don't think that's likely. 32 is perfect and some franchises (Jacksonville, for starters) really could be moved if the right deal was done. Maybe the Raiders would leave Oakland again now that Davis is gone. Certainly having L.A. all to yourself beats sharing the Bay Area with the 49ers.

The Glue Factory
02-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Instead we'll create one division in two conferences with 5 teams. Teams in those two divisions will play identical teams and be harder to get to the playoffs than the other three divisions.

I would say that the long term at that point would be to add a total of 8 teams so all divisions in both conferences would be homogenous to equalize the playoff run for all teams. Unfortunately, doing that is likely to take at least a decade to complete as the market wouldn't be able to absorb that kind of increase in the NFL. OTOH 5 team divisions makes the playoffs so much more impressive. Currently only 10 of 16 teams miss the playoffs (62.5% of the NFL.) With 20 team conferences 14 of 20 teams miss out on the playoffs or 70% of teams missing the playoffs.

slim
02-03-2012, 12:18 PM
I don't think that's likely. 32 is perfect and some franchises (Jacksonville, for starters) really could be moved if the right deal was done. Maybe the Raiders would leave Oakland again now that Davis is gone. Certainly having L.A. all to yourself beats sharing the Bay Area with the 49ers.

Moving the Raiders or SD makes the most sense.

I mean, how many teams does California really need?

Rex
02-03-2012, 12:18 PM

Expand to 34 like your waist did when you were 8 years old.

slim
02-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Expand to 34 like your waist did when you were 8 years old.

Hi Rex, it is good to have you here.

SOCALORADO.
02-03-2012, 12:21 PM

F chokeland. They are NEVER allowed to come back.
As far as were concerned, this is our pro team.
http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/usc/blog/Kiffin-USC-Knee.jpg

Got the cheer team too.
http://cdn.faniq.com/images/blog/18131724240dd9ae16372a8d56bde376.jpg

Rex
02-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Hi Rex, it is good to have you here.

I just wanted to swing by. Maybe say hi. Maybe bitch slap Buff in his gap toof mouf or maybe wish a case of face herpes on PAGS

Ravage!!!
02-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Hate the idea of moving to 34 teams. Making one team in both conferences having more teams than the rest means they will have to add additional teams to the playoffs. Not to mention the watering down of the talent more than it already is. Sometimes its just best to leave things how they are when working so well instead of ******* with them.

slim
02-03-2012, 12:24 PM
I just wanted to swing by. Maybe say hi. Maybe bitch slap Buff in his gap toof mouf or maybe wish a case of face herpes on PAGS

Yeah, they have both been talking a lot of shit about you.

Rex
02-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Yeah, they have both been talking a lot of shit about.

Oh I am sure.

Being 5'1 all your life makes one bitter.

Speaking of bitter.....I effing hate BDB.. HATE.

wayninja
02-03-2012, 01:39 PM

As many as Florida and NY apparently.

Thnikkaman
02-03-2012, 01:50 PM

They get paid like pros too.

Mike
02-03-2012, 01:52 PM
I wish the league would dump Goodell.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-03-2012, 02:00 PM

Extended thru 2018 season

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7502396/commissioner-roger-goodell-gets-extension-2018-season

wayninja
02-03-2012, 02:05 PM
They get laid like pros too.

Fixed it

Thnikkaman
02-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Fixed it

Both those things are not mutually exclusive.

Oh and I can say the same thing for Ohio's only pro team...the Buckeyes.

Ravage!!!
02-03-2012, 03:02 PM

Me too

DenBronx
02-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Got the cheer team too.
http://cdn.faniq.com/images/blog/18131724240dd9ae16372a8d56bde376.jpg

Not a USC fan but hot damn!

WARHORSE
02-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Id love to have an NFL teams in other countries.

The passion level would kick up 100% for certain games Im sure.

Besides. Before I die Id like to hear, "Sven BJorden drops back.....hes under pressure from Mjondu Mgambi.....rolling out right.....here comes Vlade Dshorfski......he lets it fly....hes got Jorge Suarez.....hes gonna......INTERCEPTED!!!.......INTERCEPTED!!!.... ..Luke Longley from Texas has it and hes gone! 40! 30! 20! 10! TOUCHDOWN! The Broncos are gonna win! The Broncos are gonna win!!

That would be pretty cool.:coffee:

Of course the fans would riot......

LawDog
02-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Only adding one team to each conference is problematic and I don't know why they would do that. I could see adding two new teams to each conference, because with 36 teams they could switch to having 3 six-team divisions in each conference. Division winners plus three wildcards would give essentially the same playoff scenario as now although you probably wouldn't see any .500 teams making the playoffs.

However, if Goodell thinks he can make the league money only adding two teams then he will probably do it whether it makes sense or not.

OrangeHoof
02-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Currently only 10 of 16 teams miss the playoffs (62.5% of the NFL.) With 20 team conferences 14 of 20 teams miss out on the playoffs versus or 70% of teams missing the playoffs.

I'm sure if they expanded eight more teams then the first-round byes would be eliminated and the playoffs would be eight teams per conference or 12 of 20 teams (60%) missing the playoffs.

OrangeHoof
02-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Not a USC fan but hot damn!

You'd think one night with the entire USC cheerleading team would convince ANY recruit to sign with them. Well, maybe not Tim Tebow...

CrazyHorse
02-03-2012, 10:31 PM
I don't like this idea, just like I don't like the 18 game schedule. The way it is now is PERFECT.

DenBronx
02-03-2012, 11:23 PM
Love the 18 game schedule!

Do it now!!!

Dzone
02-04-2012, 12:28 AM
Greed!
Expand and expand!

Goddell wants to have a team in London real bad

Dzone
02-04-2012, 12:32 AM
Id love to have an NFL teams in other countries.

The passion level would kick up 100% for certain games Im sure.

Besides. Before I die Id like to hear, "Sven BJorden drops back.....hes under pressure from Mjondu Mgambi.....rolling out right.....here comes Vlade Dshorfski......he lets it fly....hes got Jorge Suarez.....hes gonna......INTERCEPTED!!!.......INTERCEPTED!!!.... ..Luke Longley from Texas has it and hes gone! 40! 30! 20! 10! TOUCHDOWN! The Broncos are gonna win! The Broncos are gonna win!!

That would be pretty cool.:coffee:

Of course the fans would riot......
Field Gooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllll lllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!
hahaha

sneakers
02-04-2012, 12:36 AM
4-4-4-4 and 4-4-4-4 works out perfectly NFL.

NightTrainLayne
02-04-2012, 01:09 AM
Expansion is ALWAYS a bad idea. Especially at this point. The league is at the point of diluting the talent pool too much.

sneakers
02-04-2012, 01:22 AM
Expansion is ALWAYS a bad idea. Especially at this point. The league is at the point of diluting the talent pool too much.

I don't know, maybe in some positions like CB or so, but others there are plenty of good players who never get on the field.

Dzone
02-04-2012, 01:25 AM
Im sorry European friends, but when I hear Goddell in interviews saying how badly he wants a franchise in London, I want to puke.

Nomad
02-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Listening to an interview on FSR after this article, it was heresay, and Goodell was asked a question about putting a team in LA and he stated if you add one there then you'd have to add another which would make 34 because it would make for odd amount of teams.

He's not advocating for 34 teams.:ohwell:

Thnikkaman
02-06-2012, 10:36 AM
I think the NFL should expand to Europe. But they should have an 8-16 team league that plays in europe. Give them 4-8 years, and then start the NFL world cup.

Nomad
02-06-2012, 10:45 AM
I think the NFL should expand to Europe. But they should have an 8-16 team league that plays in europe. Give them 4-8 years, and then start the NFL world cup.

Is this sarcasm?

I thought they tried NFL Europe but it never really caught on there because it couldn't compete with soccer as far as getting a huge fan base for teams, so they didn't continue the NFL Europe. I never watched an NFL Europe game.

If they want a team so bad in LA....they need to take one of these small market teams like Jacksonville and move that team there.

Thnikkaman
02-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Is this sarcasm?

I thought they tried NFL Europe but it never really caught on there because it couldn't compete with soccer as far as getting a huge fan base for teams, so they didn't continue the NFL Europe. I never watched an NFL Europe game.

If they want a team so bad in LA....they need to take one of these small market teams like Jacksonville and move that team there.

NFL Europe was similar to the NBA D-League. The games were fun to watch, but it was all scrubs or undrafted rookies from the NFL. I honestly think that Mexico should get a team before London does. The American Football following is stronger south of the border than it is in London.

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
02-06-2012, 12:23 PM
There isn't the support for a franchise in London, I don't care what anyone says.

This years game didn't even sell out. They tried to make out it was due to the lockout which is BS. Allistar Kirkwood, Goodell's right hand man in the UK was on Sky last night during the game saying that the promise of more games means that they can reduce the ticket prices. Nothing to do with the fact that they have squeezed the cash cow too hard over the last 4 years or so. There is simply not enough support to pull in 80,000 for 8 games a year. They may have more success by moving the games around the country but I doubt they would sell out more than 3 or 4 times a years, and thats the just the first year, the follwoing years it would be even harder. London/England Monarchs against the Jags. Yeah, my mouth is watering already :rolleyes: The sooner the money from the Wembley game's starts falling the sooner we can get over this stupid obession of moving the game over here.

I love "American" Football but I want it to stay "American" Football. I would never get the true NFL experience at Wembley just as you would never get a true feel of Manchester United v Liverpool in New York.

BroncoNut
02-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Oh I am sure.

Being 5'1 all your life makes one bitter.

Speaking of bitter.....I effing hate BDB.. HATE.

that's weird. Me too and I don't know why exactly

fvkw
02-06-2012, 12:47 PM

Wow, great idea! The NFL should hire you, thats really using you're potato ! Very smart!

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Chef Zambini
02-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Is this sarcasm?

If they want a team so bad in LA....they need to take one of these small market teams like Jacksonville and move that team there.sarcasm...duh.
as for the success or failure of the NFL-e, travel and security issues were the big hurdles for what was always intended as a developmental league.
Now the way rules are being created and inforced, an indoor QB ala Kurt warner, is more likely a talent pool at that position, but for the other 21 positions on the field and special teamers, we could use a local , domestic version of NFL europe, spring ball edition.

Chef Zambini
02-06-2012, 01:40 PM
OH AND REGARDING la and expansion?
LA has been the NFL boogy man for current NFL owners for over a decade !
its a huge TV market with no fear of black-out !
NFL ADVERTIZERS, the guys who keep the NFL alive, they dont WANT an LA NFL TEAM !
they dont want to risk vewership oof 12 million homes over the seats of a 76k seating stasdium !
thats why the 1000k colesium is never under consideration !
LA is just the "boogy-man" for the NFL so owners can get new stadium deals out of their current municipalities !
They should change the parameters that govern sell-out / black-out !
the smallest stadium seats around 62, 000.
make THAT the black-out thresh-hold for ALL stadiums !
offer schedualing bonuses and prime time slots for the teams of STADIUMS that do hold highest attendance numbers !
NFL needs some serious forward thinking.

Thnikkaman
02-06-2012, 02:26 PM
OH AND REGARDING la and expansion?
LA has been the NFL boogy man for current NFL owners for over a decade !
its a huge TV market with no fear of black-out !
NFL ADVERTIZERS, the guys who keep the NFL alive, they dont WANT an LA NFL TEAM !
they dont want to risk vewership oof 12 million homes over the seats of a 76k seating stasdium !
thats why the 1000k colesium is never under consideration !
LA is just the "boogy-man" for the NFL so owners can get new stadium deals out of their current municipalities !
They should change the parameters that govern sell-out / black-out !
the smallest stadium seats around 62, 000.
make THAT the black-out thresh-hold for ALL stadiums !
offer schedualing bonuses and prime time slots for the teams of STADIUMS that do hold highest attendance numbers !
NFL needs some serious forward thinking.

Zam, I don't think I have ever agreed with you more.

skins_fan82
02-06-2012, 05:16 PM
worst. idea. ever.

Who the **** would wanna play in London? What a logistical nightmare.

God I hate Goodell.

Npba900
02-06-2012, 05:44 PM

Last census CA. has a population of 37 million! That's more than enough to to have 3 or 4 teams from the state of CA.

Npba900
02-06-2012, 05:55 PM
worst. idea. ever.

Who the **** would wanna play in London? What a logistical nightmare.

God I hate Goodell.

Yep! Goodell is an F-in idiot. His idea to add 2 more teams will further dilute the talent and reserves from teams in the NFL. You add to the fact that the salary caps eliminates dynasties b/c teams can no longer sign and keep star players; the NFL is turning into a Circus.

I long for the dynasties of the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's! Instead we see parity to the degree where 7-9 teams are in the playoffs and can even get lucky enough to appear in the Super Bowl. Pretty Pathetic if you ask me.

Oh well, with greedy owners and idiots like Goodell, do not be surprised one day soon with the Super Bowl becoming Paid Per View as well.

Npba900
02-06-2012, 06:00 PM
NFL Europe was similar to the NBA D-League. The games were fun to watch, but it was all scrubs or undrafted rookies from the NFL. I honestly think that Mexico should get a team before London does. The American Football following is stronger south of the border than it is in London.

Careful what you wish for adding an NFL team to Mexico. The drug cartels will murder the NFL owner and take the team over!:laugh:

Imagine corrupt politicians, law enforcement, and military generals in Mexico all becoming part owners.......what a freaking nightmare if this scenario were to ever come to fruition.

BORDERLINE
02-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Careful what you wish for adding an NFL team to Mexico. The drug cartels will murder the NFL owner and take the team over!:laugh:

Imagine corrupt politicians, law enforcement, and military generals in Mexico all becoming part owners.......what a freaking nightmare if this scenario were to ever come to fruition.

OH MY TIM TEBOW smh

I have heard it ALL

Chef Zambini
02-07-2012, 09:56 AM
8 divisions, 4 teams each
16 afc 16 NFC
its perfect , it aint broke, so it only makes sense the NFL would try to fix it !

a guy can make a sack and dance around like an idiot who just won the lottery, but a 15 yard penalty for anyone who scores a TD and falls to the ground in celebration.
god bless our brilliant NFL.

Joel
02-15-2012, 12:44 AM
Actually, it would have been perfect at 6X5: Play your Division twice (8) and the other two once (10.) Alternatively, play one Division from each Conference in odd years and the other two in even years. Send the Division winners (6) and the best non-Division winners in each Conference (2) to an 8 team playoff; you don't even need a bye. Unfortunately, the owners skybox greed screwed that up with city hopping, and Tagliabue let them.

Now we have 32 teams instead of 30, and the NFL wants to add MORE to erase the enduring two decade embarrassment of NO team in the nations second largest city because they let Georgia Frontierre take the Rams away after a half century in L.A. just because St. Louis built her a pretty (and lucrative) new stadium when L.A. refused to raze the historic Colisseum for her—which would not even have been possible had the Cards stayed put.

We're near the breaking point now; even Goodell understands an odd number of teams would be totally unworkable. If we just added two more there is no way it would be in Mexico, because having ONE (and ONLY one) team in another country would open a huge can of worms that could only end with many more foreign teams. I wouldn't be surprised though, because if we add any more teams while retaining 4 Divisions per Conference, adding a minimum of 8 teams is all but inevitable; it's just a question of finding a rate that does not suddenly dilute the overall talent.

So 8 games against your Division and heaven knows who for the other 10 (or 12.) The rational thing would be to play one Division from each Conference in a three year rotation, but the NFL has not been rational in a long time. The playoffs could remain as they are; admitting 8/28 teams gave us a very competitive tournament with only the best teams, and admitting 12/40 would be about the same ratio (30% instead of 28.6%.)

Think L.A., San Antonio, Mexico City and Juarez (not Tijuana, because of the Bolts, making a Tijuana team as ill advised as having the Raiders and '49ers next to each other.) In Canada, which has a more developed football history than Mexico, the most logical choices in terms of market size would be Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton and Calgary (not Vancouver, because the Seachickens are only about 100 miles from there.) Of course, that CFL tradition might make other choices more appealing; part of why teams in Edmonton and Calgary would be more attractive than is because of stuff like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Alberta#Eskimos_vs._Stampeders

wayninja
02-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Actually, it would have been perfect at 6X5: Play your Division twice (6) and the other two once (10.)

I'm not sure how this works out Joel..

with 5 teams in each division, playing each in your division twice works out to 8 games, not 6, right?

I think later on you say 8 so I'm not sure if this is just a typo.

Joel
02-15-2012, 04:48 PM
I'm not sure how this works out Joel..

with 5 teams in each division, playing each in your division twice works out to 8 games, not 6, right?

I think later on you say 8 so I'm not sure if this is just a typo.
You're right; it would require an 18 game season, which is why I argued for that back when the Panthers and Jags were created at the height of the Musical Cities game. Another casualty of late night posting; sorry. :redface: