PDA

View Full Version : Thnikk's networking corner.

Thnikkaman
02-01-2012, 11:04 AM
In this thread, I'll do my best to answer any networking questions you may have. Based on the fact that I have young kids that are becoming computer literate faster than I thought they would, this will help all of us protect our children from the places that we would rather not have them go.

I will also be happy to answer non-spy on your children's network activity networking topics here as well.

Thnikkaman
02-01-2012, 11:22 AM
For PAGS:

The manual for your router can be accessed here:
http://downloads.linksysbycisco.com/downloads/userguide/1224639045490/WRT54GL-EU_11_UG_A-WEB.pdf

If you go to page 15 of that PDF it will give you the access restrictions instructions. Basically, what you need to do is find the MAC address of the device you want to limit (her iPod - Click Settings/General/About It's shown as the Wi-Fi Address. It should be in the format of xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx)

Create an access policy of the times you want to allow that device to access the internet, and apply it to that mac address only. Feel free to ask questions regarding the manual if it sounds like greek.

Thnikkaman
02-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Gnome, I'm looking into seeing if your router is capable of what we had talked about in the other thread. Remind me if I forget to get back to you on this.

BroncoNut
02-01-2012, 11:29 AM
good work Tink. Keep it up.

WTE
02-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Is it possible to set up a network so I can print a document from a laptop and it will print to a non-wireless printer that is not wired to the laptop?

Thnikkaman
02-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Is it possible to set up a network so I can print a document from a laptop and it will print to a non-wireless printer that is not wired to the laptop?

It sure is. Is the printer connected to a computer that is on the network? If so, just share the printer from the computer that it is connected to, and then install that printer on your laptop.

What's the Operating systems of the two computers, and I'll get you some details.

underrated29
02-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Is it possible to wirekessky scan a document from a laptop. I can tirelessly print to it but for scanning it says I need USB. It would be wonderful to not have to disconnect my lap each time and move it over to the scanner to scan

Thnikkaman
02-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Is it possible to wirekessky scan a document from a laptop. I can tirelessly print to it but for scanning it says I need USB. It would be wonderful to not have to disconnect my lap each time and move it over to the scanner to scan

It is possible, but you need the right equipment to do so. I've been able to do so from my wireless printer, but not from a scanner that I had hooked up to another computer, or a wireless print server.

WTE
02-01-2012, 12:59 PM
It sure is. Is the printer connected to a computer that is on the network? If so, just share the printer from the computer that it is connected to, and then install that printer on your laptop.

What's the Operating systems of the two computers, and I'll get you some details.

Windows 7 home premium on one and XP on the other.

Thnikkaman
02-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Windows 7 home premium on one and XP on the other.

Which one is the printer connected to?

WTE
02-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Which one is the printer connected to?

xp.

Thnikkaman
02-01-2012, 01:30 PM
xp.

So on the XP machine, go to Start->Printers and Faxes

Right click on the printer you want to print from, and select "sharing", then select share this printer.

On the Win 7 machine do this:

1) Control Panel==> add LOCAL (Yes LOCAL) printer. I know it's on a Network but hold your horses -- what we are actually doing is "Poodlefaking" the Windows 7 machine into thinking it's running the printer.

2) Create NEW port==>Local port

3) Portname is \\XPMACHINE\SHAREDPRINTER

4) Now Windows 7 will load a driver and you'll be able to print on the XP machine.

WTE
02-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Cool. I will try that when I get home or maybe this weekend. It's been a pain in the butt creating a doc on the downstairs laptop and then having to e-mail or flashdrive the doc to the upstairs computer, especially since the computer upstairs is getting old and slow.

Thnikkaman
02-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Cool. I will try that when I get home or maybe this weekend. It's been a pain in the butt creating a doc on the downstairs laptop and then having to e-mail or flashdrive the doc to the upstairs computer, especially since the computer upstairs is getting old and slow.

I hear ya.

If you need to retire that old computer, they have devices like this one that let you plug in the printer and connect it to your network. I used one for a while before I came across an inexpensive laser printer with a built in network port.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704067

WTE
02-01-2012, 02:06 PM
I hear ya.

If you need to retire that old computer, they have devices like this one that let you plug in the printer and connect it to your network. I used one for a while before I came across an inexpensive laser printer with a built in network port.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704067

I'll check it out. That old computer is a Toshiba laptop I bought in 2005 for around $1800. I think the hard drive is going.

It has a green light in the upper left corner of the keyboard that is either constantly on or constantly blinking quickly. Is this the hard drive light and does this mean my hard drive is over working and ready to die?

Thnikkaman
02-01-2012, 02:09 PM
I'll check it out. That old computer is a Toshiba laptop I bought in 2005 for around $1800. I think the hard drive is going.

It has a green light in the upper left corner of the keyboard that is either constantly on or constantly blinking quickly. Is this the hard drive light and does this mean my hard drive is over working and ready to die?

I'd have to look at the laptop. Does it seem louder than normal? A hard drive is a cheap part to replace. And if its constantly accessing the hard drive, that makes me wonder if the computer has a virus of some sort on it.

WTE
02-01-2012, 02:15 PM
I'd have to look at the laptop. Does it seem louder than normal? A hard drive is a cheap part to replace. And if its constantly accessing the hard drive, that makes me wonder if the computer has a virus of some sort on it.

It is a little louder, like it's overworking. I brought it in for service about a year ago and was told the hard drive is going but he had a hard time getting his hands on used laptop parts. I said to myself that I didn't want to spend another penny servicing that thing.

My two kids aren't overly careful w/ electronics so I've learned to buy stuff cheap or used so if they break it or lose it I won't be as pissed. The last laptop I bought is an Acer w/ a 10" screen I got at Walmart for $250. It's actually been a great unit. Me and my boys use it all the time.

underrated29
02-01-2012, 02:18 PM
It is possible, but you need the right equipment to do so. I've been able to do so from my wireless printer, but not from a scanner that I had hooked up to another computer, or a wireless print server.

oh sorry, its a wireless printer/scanner/copier. So i can wirelessly print to it but scanning it says i need the usb

Thnikkaman
02-01-2012, 02:30 PM
oh sorry, its a wireless printer/scanner/copier. So i can wirelessly print to it but scanning it says i need the usb

Check to see if there are updated drivers or firmware for the device that may add that functionality. What's the model?

underrated29
02-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Check to see if there are updated drivers or firmware for the device that may add that functionality. What's the model?

ok i will google for updates.

its a Lexmark 2600 series, it says.

Thnikkaman
02-01-2012, 02:49 PM
ok i will google for updates.

its a Lexmark 2600 series, it says.

I hate to sound negative, but good luck with that. Lexmarks are notoriously cheap and difficult to work with.

BroncoJoe
02-01-2012, 03:05 PM

Couldn't it be indexing? I shut that down on my computers because of the constant HD accessing.

Thnikkaman
02-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Couldn't it be indexing? I shut that down on my computers because of the constant HD accessing.

It could be. I haven't administrated an XP box in quite some time, so my memory is foggy.

BroncoJoe
02-01-2012, 03:12 PM
It could be. I haven't administrated an XP box in quite some time, so my memory is foggy.

I'd guess that's what is happening. It used to drive me nuts - especially on a laptop. I can wait the extra .0003 seconds when opening a file/program without indexing...

Dapper Dan
02-02-2012, 03:26 AM
Awesome thread. I have a question for you.
Maybe a couple.

I have an HP Touchsmart Laptop. The hardrive crashed a couple years ago and someone fixed it for me. It had vista and he installed 7. I have all of the drivers that I need through HP's website. But it's like I don't have the actual program. I had something called MediaSmart (I think it was called). It was used for playing a DVD, using webcam, music, etc. I have the driver for all that but it doesn't show up on my computer. Also. I have a fingerprint scanner. I installed the driver for it also. I installed the fingerprint program that it used as well (Digital Persona). But when I go to use it, it says it isn't plugged in or the driver is out of date. But the driver is correct. Any advice?

One more:
I am considering an HP touchpad. I only plan on using it for Netflix and watching movies etc. Simple stuff. I'm not worried about apps. Any thoughts on the Touchpad?
Also, can I install other operating systems on it? Such as windows 7?

Thnikkaman
02-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Awesome thread. I have a question for you.
Maybe a couple.

I have an HP Touchsmart Laptop. The hardrive crashed a couple years ago and someone fixed it for me. It had vista and he installed 7. I have all of the drivers that I need through HP's website. But it's like I don't have the actual program. I had something called MediaSmart (I think it was called). It was used for playing a DVD, using webcam, music, etc. I have the driver for all that but it doesn't show up on my computer. Also. I have a fingerprint scanner. I installed the driver for it also. I installed the fingerprint program that it used as well (Digital Persona). But when I go to use it, it says it isn't plugged in or the driver is out of date. But the driver is correct. Any advice?

One more:
I am considering an HP touchpad. I only plan on using it for Netflix and watching movies etc. Simple stuff. I'm not worried about apps. Any thoughts on the Touchpad?
Also, can I install other operating systems on it? Such as windows 7?

These aren't networking questions, but I'll do my best to answer them.

RTFM. Thank you.

For the Mediasmart software, you may want to see if its an available download for your laptop on HP's site. That's a little too propitiatory to get into. If you want something to play music and DVDs, I suggest VLC for all of your video needs and xmmx or foobar2000 for mp3s. For the fingerprint software, again, I don't know enough about your hardware to really help. Check HP's website for updated drivers, and go from there. Google is going to be your best friend getting that one figured out.

As far as the HP touchpad goes, the archatecture won't support something like windows 7. I know that many have been able to get Android 4.0 installed on that device, and there are tons of apps for that. Again, Google.

PatriotsGuy
02-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Thanks Thnik! I told my wife last night that I was going to do this over the weekend. I'll let you know if I need further assistance. This time I'll write down my username and password though :D

Thnikkaman
02-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Yeah, let me know how it works for you. I've got to put all of these things I learned as a Network Admin for good use somewhere.

topscribe
02-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Thnikk, what do you know about the different brands and models of routers?
I have had some trouble with what I need. My office is in an 8x30 trailer,
and the main computer is hardwired into the router. A laptop is often WIFI'd
from the other end.

The problem is, I'm having trouble gaining compatibility for my Nettalk
adapter, which is hardwired to the router.

I've found that dLink stinks, but I haven't found anything that is really
good, IMO. Or is it that I just don't know how to set the router?

-----

Thnikkaman
02-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Thnikk, what do you know about the different brands and models of routers?
I have had some trouble with what I need. My office is in an 8x30 trailer,
and the main computer is hardwired into the router. A laptop is often WIFI'd
from the other end.

The problem is, I'm having trouble gaining compatibility for my Nettalk
adapter, which is hardwired to the router.

I've found that dLink stinks, but I haven't found anything that is really
good, IMO. Or is it that I just don't know how to set the router?

-----

What kind of router is it? I'm not very familiar with the Nettalk service, but it looks like you may want to set up some Quality of Service rules to give priority to your Nettalk adapter.

What kinds of problems are you having, and how much bandwidth does the Nettalk service need?

WTE
02-09-2012, 03:59 PM
If I ever decided to run a Tech Help Desk this is how it would go....

Question 1:

Q: My computer's running slow, what should I do?

WTE: Reboot your computer

Question 2:

Q: My computer is frozen, what should I do?

Question 3:

Q: My wireless router's not working, what should I do?

WTE: Unplug the AC cord, wait 15 seconds and plug back in.

PatriotsGuy
02-10-2012, 03:04 PM
If I ever decided to run a Tech Help Desk this is how it would go....

Question 1:

Q: My computer's running slow, what should I do?

Question 2:

Q: My computer is frozen, what should I do?

Question 3:

Q: My wireless router's not working, what should I do?

WTE: Unplug the AC cord, wait 15 seconds and plug back in.

Did you do what tink told you to do post your results you ungrateful *******

WTE
02-10-2012, 03:08 PM

Not yet. Too much going on with Super Bowl and all and haven't had to print anything. I'll get around to it at some point though.

Pags, In two seconds I'm going back to that Culinary Couple website to see if there's anything I want to make tonight or over the weekend. Going grocery shopping after work and making the list.

PatriotsGuy
02-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Not yet. Too much going on with Super Bowl and all and haven't had to print anything. I'll get around to it at some point though.

Pags, In two seconds I'm going back to that Culinary Couple website to see if there's anything I want to make tonight or over the weekend. Going grocery shopping after work and making the list.

Nice, my wife made the chicken again last week. It still rules.

BroncoJoe
02-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Homemade burritos last night at the BroncoJoe's house. Chipolte has NOTHING on MrsBJ.

Thnikkaman
02-10-2012, 03:19 PM

What WTE posted are simple steps that anyone with an electronic device should know how to do.

Other steps include:

Check to make sure the thing is plugged in.
Ensure that the On/Off switch is set to On.
Ensure that there is power being supplied to the outlet (i.e. if your lights won't turn on, why the **** do you think your computer is going to turn on).

BeefStew25
02-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Do those burritos have a USB port or something?

PatriotsGuy
02-10-2012, 03:21 PM
What WTE posted are simple steps that anyone with an electronic device should know how to do.

Other steps include:

Ensure that there is power being supplied to the outlet (i.e. if your lights won't turn on, why the **** do you think your computer is going to turn on).

Yeah I know I meant the printer fix thing

WTE
02-10-2012, 03:21 PM

Other steps include:

No doubt. I called Comcast last week because my phones weren't working and do you know what they told me?

PatriotsGuy
02-10-2012, 03:27 PM
No doubt. I called Comcast last week because my phones weren't working and do you know what they told me?

reboot your modem?

BroncoJoe
02-10-2012, 03:38 PM

reboot your modem?

If you have Comcast phone and internet, you can't just unplug the modem to reset it. It has an 8 hour backup battery. You have to find the reset button on the back and push it with a paperclip.

BroncoJoe
02-10-2012, 03:40 PM

I'm in the wrong thread. Beef, I need your life guidance ASAP.

BeefStew25
02-10-2012, 03:41 PM
I'm in the wrong thread. Beef, I need your life guidance ASAP.

lets hear it

Thnikkaman
02-10-2012, 03:55 PM

Kind of. They use SCSI (pronounced Scuzzy) technology.

WTE
02-10-2012, 04:12 PM
reboot your modem?

Almost. She told me I had a phone off the hook. We have 6 cordless phones b/c whenever someone calls I can never find a phone b/c the kids never put them back. Before I called I found most of the phones but one was still missing and that was the one off the hook.

To reset she told me to unplug the AC cord on the base cordless phone, wait 15 seconds and plug back in.

BeefStew25
02-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Tink find me a good speaker system I can plug my iPad into. Cheap. Bose is awesome, but expensive. Ready, Go!

Thnikkaman
02-10-2012, 06:34 PM
Tink find me a good speaker system I can plug my iPad into. Cheap. Bose is awesome, but expensive. Ready, Go!

Need some specifics. Portable speakers? Speakers that are going to stay at home? What prices you looking at?

BORDERLINE
02-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Hey Tink, I'm staying in Mexico right now. I have HBO TO GO so I can watch it online. The only problem is that you need to be in the U.S to use the service. I have looked into using other I.P # but I heard it's not safe. WHat do you think I should do and what are my options???

topscribe
02-10-2012, 07:42 PM
What kind of router is it? I'm not very familiar with the Nettalk service, but it looks like you may want to set up some Quality of Service rules to give priority to your Nettalk adapter.

What kinds of problems are you having, and how much bandwidth does the Nettalk service need?

Nah, I tried all the settings. Nettalk told me it is probably a malfunctioning
adapter, so they're sending me another one, so we'll see how that does.
Thanks for responding. This is a good thread.

-----

WTE
02-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Hey Tink, I'm staying in Mexico right now. I have HBO TO GO so I can watch it online. The only problem is that you need to be in the U.S to use the service. I have looked into using other I.P # but I heard it's not safe. WHat do you think I should do and what are my options???

I never had any problems using a proxy IP when I was IP banned at Mania.

However, I found that U.S. proxy's were slow.

BORDERLINE
02-10-2012, 09:22 PM
I never had any problems using a proxy IP when I was IP banned at Mania.

However, I found that U.S. proxy's were slow.

so how do i connect to a secure one? where can I find them. I'm for the most part real bad at computers I can't even embed videos SMH

PatriotsGuy
02-11-2012, 03:23 PM

I had a Bose but I replaced it with this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TS2AO8/ref=asc_df_B004TS2AO81896535?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B004TS2AO8

I rebooted the router and have everything back up and running. Now I just need to get her MAC address and I'm in business!

Thnikkaman
02-12-2012, 05:48 PM

You can try to bypass this by using a proxy. If you are using firefox, I suggest searching for plugins related to proxies.

However, due to the fact that I like T-Ned, and don't like total asshats on this board, I will not get into how to use proxies to do this type of thing.

BORDERLINE
02-12-2012, 07:39 PM
You can try to bypass this by using a proxy. If you are using firefox, I suggest searching for plugins related to proxies.

However, due to the fact that I like T-Ned, and don't like total asshats on this board, I will not get into how to use proxies to do this type of thing.

BLAH!!!!

this thread sucks anyways!!!

Thnikkaman
02-12-2012, 10:41 PM
BLAH!!!!

this thread sucks anyways!!!

Sorry man. I'd love to tell you about bypassing firewalls and using proxies, but I also love having this forum to discuss these things with you. I think my e-mail is in my profile. We can go about it that way. Or you can google it and RTFM. (Read The ******* Manual)

BORDERLINE
02-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Sorry man. I'd love to tell you about bypassing firewalls and using proxies, but I also love having this forum to discuss these things with you. I think my e-mail is in my profile. We can go about it that way. Or you can google it and RTFM. (Read The ******* Manual)

It was a joke homie. It's COOL. Mexican movies will have to do for now. Just finished watching The Day the earth stood still in spanish. I think it fits Keanu Reeves better than English!!

Thnikkaman
02-12-2012, 11:29 PM
It was a joke homie. It's COOL. Mexican movies will have to do for now. Just finished watching The Day the earth stood still in spanish. I think it fits Keanu Reeves better than English!!

As you get to know me online, you will know that I was joking as well. I tend to forget that I'm playing the "How far can I take it?" game.

BeefStew25
02-12-2012, 11:40 PM
Tink did you find me some badass speakers?

Thnikkaman
02-12-2012, 11:54 PM
Tink did you find me some badass speakers?

I need more info on what you are looking for.

PatriotsGuy
02-13-2012, 08:44 AM
I put her MAC address in and just made it unavailable from 9:55PM to 11:55PM but told her I had it set until 6AM. Oh and beef what was wrong with my speakers ?

BeefStew25
02-13-2012, 01:42 PM
What speakers? Post them again. How are the lows and the mids and the Highs?

PatriotsGuy
02-13-2012, 01:47 PM
What speakers? Post them again. How are the lows and the mids and the Highs?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TS2AO8/ref=asc_df_B004TS2AO81896535?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B004TS2AO8

BeefStew25
02-13-2012, 01:57 PM
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TS2AO8/ref=asc_df_B004TS2AO81896535?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B004TS2AO8

Too much.

Thnikkaman
02-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Beef, do you want stationary or portable speakers? And do they need to be able to control the iPad remotely?

BroncoJoe
02-13-2012, 02:40 PM
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=dock+ipad&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=14642633139&ref=pd_sl_f2h3xl8yv_b

Google is your friend, Beef.

Thnikkaman
02-13-2012, 02:52 PM
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=dock+ipad&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=14642633139&ref=pd_sl_f2h3xl8yv_b

Google is your friend, Beef.

Joe, you're not helping Beef, you're hurting him man. You're hurting him.

PatriotsGuy
02-13-2012, 03:40 PM
So if I upgrade my router and adapters to wireless N will I get a noticeable (or any) speed increase?

Thnikkaman
02-13-2012, 03:46 PM
So if I upgrade my router and adapters to wireless N will I get a noticeable (or any) speed increase?

Yes, but it depends. I would recommend looking at getting a dual band router, and for any computer that you use primarily, ensure that the Wireless-N adapter is capable of signing on to the 5Ghz band.

WTE
02-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Tink,

If I put aluminum foil over my rabbit ears will I get better reception?

PatriotsGuy
02-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Yes, but it depends. I would recommend looking at getting a dual band router, and for any computer that you use primarily, ensure that the Wireless-N adapter is capable of signing on to the 5Ghz band.

I was looking at this router http://www.amazon.com/E3200-High-Performance-Simultaneous-Dual-Band-Wireless-N/dp/B004T9RR7C

Thnikkaman
02-13-2012, 04:00 PM
I was looking at this router http://www.amazon.com/E3200-High-Performance-Simultaneous-Dual-Band-Wireless-N/dp/B004T9RR7C

Try this one instead. I trust New Egg's ratings on these types of things more than Amazon given New Egg's clientele.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122326

PatriotsGuy
02-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Try this one instead. I trust New Egg's ratings on these types of things more than Amazon given New Egg's clientele.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122326

Thanks! I think I will wait a bit but will probably take the plunge in March.

Thnikkaman
02-14-2012, 09:48 AM
Beef,

People seem to like these if they want to Dock their I-Pad

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855996496

If you are just going to plug something into the audio jack, then I would go with something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836183041
or this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121014

PatriotsGuy
02-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Oh and what are some reasonably priced adapters? Keep in mind the primary machine is in the same room as the router. The secondary machine is on the second floor of the house.

Thnikkaman
02-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Oh and what are some reasonably priced adapters? Keep in mind the primary machine is in the same room as the router. The secondary machine is on the second floor of the house.

The Primary machine ever going to leave the same room as the router? Is the router on the same side of the room as the machine? If that's the case, than just plug the machine into the router. A wired connection is still better than wireless as far as connectivity is concerned.

Otherwise, I need some info from you before I recommend adapters. Are these laptops, or desktops? Give me brand and model numbers for each computer and I'll let you know what to get.

PatriotsGuy
02-14-2012, 01:18 PM
The Primary machine ever going to leave the same room as the router? Is the router on the same side of the room as the machine? If that's the case, than just plug the machine into the router. A wired connection is still better than wireless as far as connectivity is concerned.

Otherwise, I need some info from you before I recommend adapters. Are these laptops, or desktops? Give me brand and model numbers for each computer and I'll let you know what to get.

No the main one has a huge doorway between the router and the computer so it won't work otherwise it would be wired. I don't know what they are they're cheap and old(er).

EDIT: both desktops

Thnikkaman
02-14-2012, 01:59 PM
No the main one has a huge doorway between the router and the computer so it won't work otherwise it would be wired. I don't know what they are they're cheap and old(er).

EDIT: both desktops

How old is older?

PatriotsGuy
02-14-2012, 02:05 PM
How old is older?

The main one is probably 3 years old the other is about 8 or so. Are you looking for processors and RAM ? I'll have to check on that at home.

Thnikkaman
02-14-2012, 02:34 PM
The main one is probably 3 years old the other is about 8 or so. Are you looking for processors and RAM ? I'll have to check on that at home.

More concerned about motherboard architecture. For the 3 year old machine, I would want to find out if there was a free PCIe slot, the other I want to ensure it has USB 2.0 or a free PCI slot.

PatriotsGuy
02-14-2012, 03:02 PM
More concerned about motherboard architecture. For the 3 year old machine, I would want to find out if there was a free PCIe slot, the other I want to ensure it has USB 2.0 or a free PCI slot.

oh yeah they both have a free pci slot and the older one is USB 2.0 (at least I'm pretty sure it is). The one upstairs has a pci card that I put in for the wireless G and the one in the den has a USB wireless adapter.

BroncoJoe
02-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Thnik, do you own stock in newegg?

Thnikkaman
02-14-2012, 03:23 PM
oh yeah they both have a free pci slot and the older one is USB 2.0 (at least I'm pretty sure it is). The one upstairs has a pci card that I put in for the wireless G and the one in the den has a USB wireless adapter.

Does the one upstairs have a PCI<b>e</b> slot. It's a faster bus than pci. In the picture below, the short slots are PCIe, and the long ones are PCI

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fc/PCIExpress.jpg/250px-PCIExpress.jpg

Thnikkaman
02-14-2012, 03:25 PM
Thnik, do you own stock in newegg?

They have consistently had the best service in the 10 years I have shopped with them. I will occasionally go with Tiger Direct if they have a better deal, but New Egg beats any other site for computer parts 90% of the time.

PatriotsGuy
02-14-2012, 03:25 PM
Does the one upstairs have a PCI<b>e</b> slot. It's a faster bus than pci. In the picture below, the short slots are PCIe, and the long ones are PCI

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fc/PCIExpress.jpg/250px-PCIExpress.jpg

I don't think so, no.

Thnikkaman
02-14-2012, 03:44 PM
A couple of these should be sufficient if you don't go dual band (or even if you do) for both computers as long as you aren't hooking either up to a TV via HDMI.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-166-038&SortField=1&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

BeefStew25
02-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Tink find me a stolen hot Bose system TiA.

Thnikkaman
02-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Tink find me a stolen hot Bose system TiA.

Hook me up with 20 tabs of Ex, and its done.

BeefStew25
02-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Hook me up with 20 tabs of Ex, and its done.

Give me a week.

BroncoJoe
02-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Beef, I'm confident in your ability to find a willing partner to conduct a trade of "products".

BeefStew25
02-14-2012, 07:01 PM
I need to find a hot one.

BeefStew25
02-17-2012, 11:56 PM
Okay, you guys provided me with no help, but the Lord helped me.

Google Bose Soundlink.

BroncoJoe
02-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Okay, you guys provided me with no help, but the Lord helped me.

Google Bose Soundlink.

Too much.

:cool:

BeefStew25
02-18-2012, 01:07 PM
Nope. They had a huge sale at the Bose outlet in Vero.

PatriotsGuy
02-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Nope. They had a huge sale at the Bose outlet in Vero.

yeah 100 more than the one I linked wtf

BeefStew25
02-18-2012, 08:37 PM
yeah 100 more than the one I linked wtf

Same price better product, Friend. Play a word.

BeefStew25
02-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Pair and play the speaker with your Bluetooth device. It's simple--and you only need to do it once. Just press and hold the Bluetooth button on the top panel, then choose the SoundLink® speaker from your smartphone or other source. It's now memorized, ready to play in an instant. Nothing to connect or dock. The speaker keeps up to six Bluetooth sources in memory.

30-foot wireless range lets you keep your phone, tablet or other device with you and place the SoundLink® speaker where you want.

A rechargeable lithium-ion battery keeps the music going strong for up to eight hours Play throughout your day with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. It keeps the music going strong for up to eight hours, even while you text, e-mail or surf the web. If an outlet is handy, just use the included power adapter--it'll charge the battery while you listen. An empty battery usually charges in 2 to 3 hours. An optional car charger is available for charging between destinations.

Thnikkaman
02-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Pair and play the speaker with your Bluetooth device. It's simple--and you only need to do it once. Just press and hold the Bluetooth button on the top panel, then choose the SoundLink® speaker from your smartphone or other source. It's now memorized, ready to play in an instant. Nothing to connect or dock. The speaker keeps up to six Bluetooth sources in memory.

30-foot wireless range lets you keep your phone, tablet or other device with you and place the SoundLink® speaker where you want.

A rechargeable lithium-ion battery keeps the music going strong for up to eight hours Play throughout your day with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. It keeps the music going strong for up to eight hours, even while you text, e-mail or surf the web. If an outlet is handy, just use the included power adapter--it'll charge the battery while you listen. An empty battery usually charges in 2 to 3 hours. An optional car charger is available for charging between destinations.

:slow clap:

This is the shit I needed to know that you wanted when you first asked the question. :smh:

Nomad
09-09-2012, 11:13 AM
What's does this mean?......

ERROR. http 504 "gateway timeout"

I was trying to look up the nfl tv map and that's what I was shown.

MOtorboat
09-09-2012, 11:47 AM
What's does this mean?......

ERROR. http 504 "gateway timeout"

I was trying to look up the nfl tv map and that's what I was shown.

I know this one...their server is overloaded...its been slow for me today too.

Nomad
09-09-2012, 02:01 PM
OK, MO, as you can see I'm computer illiterate. I'm trying to watch a link but have to download some video app, but tells me I can't in DOS mode. What is DOS mode? We have a Mac computer if that makes a difference because last year when we had our HP I could watch the link..

MOtorboat
09-09-2012, 02:32 PM
OK, MO, as you can see I'm computer illiterate. I'm trying to watch a link but have to download some video app, but tells me I can't in DOS mode. What is DOS mode? We have a Mac computer if that makes a difference because last year when we had our HP I could watch the link..

I'm not 100 percent sure, but it may have to do with your Mac.

Nomad
09-09-2012, 02:47 PM
My wife had to have this Mac laptop because the lady told her it'll last 3 times as long and be faster as an HP (which we've gone through 2 in the last 5-6 yrs) plus Mac is what the schools use here. But I find it to be a PITA because a lot of apps are PC. I believe I worded it right. :lol:

Thnikkaman
09-09-2012, 03:09 PM
My wife had to have this Mac laptop because the lady told her it'll last 3 times as long and be faster as an HP (which we've gone through 2 in the last 5-6 yrs) plus Mac is what the schools use here. But I find it to be a PITA because a lot of apps are PC. I believe I worded it right. :lol:

What is the app that it is trying to run on your Mac?

Nomad
09-09-2012, 03:17 PM
What is the app that it is trying to run on your Mac?

This.... http://lp.ilivid.com/?appid=486&subid=11163480&referer=http%3a%2f%2fthecdn.04stream.com%2fad11.p

Thnikkaman
09-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Why do you want to download that?

Nomad
09-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Why do you want to download that?

It's the only way to watch the video part of football games at a certain site. I can hear the audio, but can't see the video because it says I need that. I'm a computer retard so I may be getting the run around.:lol:

Thnikkaman
09-10-2012, 09:17 AM
It's the only way to watch the video part of football games at a certain site. I can hear the audio, but can't see the video because it says I need that. I'm a computer retard so I may be getting the run around.:lol:

It sounds like that is the case. You could try downloading VLC for Mac. That app should be able to handle anything you throw at it.

Buff
10-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Thnikk - please read this article and then tell me what it means in layman's terms. TIA.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/429561/the-measurement-that-would-reveal-the-universe-as/

Thnikkaman
10-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Thnikk - please read this article and then tell me what it means in layman's terms. TIA.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/429561/the-measurement-that-would-reveal-the-universe-as/

It states that they believe to have found evidence that we exist within a 3d grid, similar to the game minecraft, and that there is a possibility that we exist as a complicated computer simulation.

Zweems56
10-11-2012, 07:49 AM
It sounds like that is the case. You could try downloading VLC for Mac. That app should be able to handle anything you throw at it.

Thnikk, stop saying "App." I thought you better than that.

Thnikkaman
10-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Thnikk, stop saying "App." I thought you better than that.

App is an appropriate abbreviation for Application, which is a word that I constantly have issues spelling correctly.

By the way, every time I see your Avatar, I want to play M:tG again.

Tned
10-11-2012, 08:24 AM
App is an appropriate abbreviation for Application, which is a word that I constantly have issues spelling correctly.

By the way, every time I see your Avatar, I want to play M:tG again.

And, the term app WAY precedes Apple's claim that they coined the phrase for their Iphone.

Programmers have been using the term app for years, as have PC power users. All long before Itunes was even a concept.

Buff
10-11-2012, 08:39 AM
It states that they believe to have found evidence that we exist within a 3d grid, similar to the game minecraft, and that there is a possibility that we exist as a complicated computer simulation.

And what do you, a worshiper of the flying spaghetti monster, make of this idea?

Thnikkaman
10-11-2012, 09:55 AM
And what do you, a worshiper of the flying spaghetti monster, make of this idea?

It's something I've always kind of wondered myself. similar to the thinking of "Is our universe just part of the composition of an element in some grander frame of thinking.

And as much as an afterlife full of stripper factories and beer volcanoes, my religious beliefs align closer to the teachings of Buddha.