PDA

View Full Version : Running Backs

MOtorboat
02-01-2012, 10:40 AM
To somehow steer some offseason talk during the month before free agency, I thought it would be a good idea to go position by position. (I'll try to update this post with free agents, restricted free agents and draft picks people think Denver should target)

Under Contract:
Willis McGahee, RB
Knowshon Moreno, RB
Jeremiah Johnson, RB
Mario Fannin, RB

Restricted Free Agents:
Lance Ball, RB

Free Agents:
Spencer Larsen, FB

Free Agent Targets:
Michael Bush, RB, Raiders
Greg Jones, FB, Jaguars
Benjarvus Green-Ellis, RB, Patriots

Draft Targets:
Doug Martin, RB, Boise State
LaMichael James, RB, Oregon
Isaiah Pead, RB, Cincinnnati
Chris Polk, RB, Washington

underrated29
02-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Chris Polk is a rb that the broncos have interest in.

Jsteve01
02-01-2012, 10:55 AM
I'd add Pead to that conversation as a very viable alt to James

Jsteve01
02-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Chris Polk is a rb that the broncos have interest in.

I was all over Polk but he didn't show very well at the senior bowl

camdisco24
02-01-2012, 10:59 AM
I think we need to use Knowshon to get a extra draft pick... Unfortunately I'm not sure if he is worth a draft pick at all...

BORDERLINE
02-01-2012, 11:01 AM
We need a speedster plain and simple. A RB with Darren Sproles Speed. And hopefully we can draft one that can contribute. I really believed the Falcons got a gamer with Jaquizz Rodgers but the guy didn't do nothing this year. Granted they have Turner but still I would have expected some major runs here and there from him.

BORDERLINE
02-01-2012, 11:05 AM
I think we need to use Knowshon to get a extra draft pick... Unfortunately I'm not sure if he is worth a draft pick at all...

If he's still under contract no sense of letting him go. Willis is the clear cut starter (going into training camp LOL) but we usually carry 3 and I have no issue having Moreno as the number 3 back a very solid one I may add.

And if he where traded I don't see any team giving up a 3rd round pick. A 4th would probably be the going rate and a 3rd would be the best case scenario.

camdisco24
02-01-2012, 11:10 AM
If he's still under contract no sense of letting him go. Willis is the clear cut starter (going into training camp LOL) but we usually carry 3 and I have no issue having Moreno as the number 3 back a very solid one I may add.

And if he where traded I don't see any team giving up a 3rd round pick. A 4th would probably be the going rate and a 3rd would be the best case scenario.

The only thing I really like about Knowshon is is catching ability. I can see some upside there, but I'm not so sure he fits Fox's RB criteria. I think EFX will be searching for another downhill runner to back up McGahee.

My main concern with our RB's is McGahees age and the lack of someone who can truly step in and produce to his level if/when he gets injured. That should be priority number one... finding a productive #2, cause right now we just don't have one.

turftoad
02-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Once we get a true QB, Tebow can slide right over to the RB position. :shocked:

BORDERLINE
02-01-2012, 11:13 AM
The only thing I really like about Knowshon is is catching ability. I can see some upside there, but I'm not so sure he fits Fox's RB criteria. I think EFX will be searching for another downhill runner to back up McGahee.

My main concern with our RB's is McGahees age and the lack of someone who can truly step in and produce to his level if/when he gets injured. That should be priority number one... finding a productive #2, cause right now we just don't have one.

NO doubt, Willis is getting up there in age for a RB. But from what we saw this year he still has gas in the tank so I believe in the coming year we will have an idea of who will be the next man up for the position.

BroncoNut
02-01-2012, 11:18 AM
whose that guy from BAMA? heismann candidate

turftoad
02-01-2012, 11:21 AM
whose that guy from BAMA? heismann candidate

Trent Richardson. He'll be long gone before we pick unless we move up to get him.

Jsteve01
02-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Jeremiah Johnson offers everything that KnoMo does with more speed. Im done with KnoMo. He's fragile and he doesn't have the quicks a back that small should possess

TXBRONC
02-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Jeremiah Johnson offers everything that KnoMo does with more speed. Im done with KnoMo. He's fragile and he doesn't have the quicks a back that small should possess

I think Moreno was showing more after he was demoted second fiddle. But I think it to little to late.

NightTerror218
02-01-2012, 12:01 PM
I was all over Polk but he didn't show very well at the senior bowl

he put on weight and was slower at Senior Bowl. He number at combine could be down. Heard he needs to lose somewhere between 10-20 lbs to get to where he should be.

SOCALORADO.
02-01-2012, 12:01 PM
1st thing. Knowshow is gone. Officially a bust, he is slow, has no vision, and cant stay healthy. Just accept it. He already was slow, what, now hes gonna light it up!?!?
Please. Dude is done. DEN isnt getting anything for him considering a team can simply get a Jerimiah Johnson as a UDFA.
2nd. PASS on Lalamichael James. He is Knowshow all over again.

3rd. As i said in my mock draft and many times well BEFORE the Senior Bowl. Isaiah Pead is a poor-mans Marshall Faulk. He has the build to gain 15 lbs and still be the elusive, runner that a team like DEN could use. Can catch outta the backfield, hes an excellent option in the mid rounds.
Doug Martin is the other RB i think DEN should be looking at. 5-9, 220.
Dude is MJD all over again. Not only is Martin a very skilled 3 down back, he is also LETHAL as a punt/kick returner.
Having a McGahee/Martin backfield would be monstrous.
I also think Polk would be a beast in DEN too.

NightTerror218
02-01-2012, 12:02 PM

I think Moreno is good for check downs like his TD he had during season. I think he is horrid up the middle. I would be fine trading him.

underrated29
02-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Face it guys knowshon not going anywhere next year. He is still under contract and no one is going to beat him out of a roster spot

slim
02-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Face it guys knowshon not going anywhere next year. He is still under contract and no one is going to beat him out of a roster spot

There are plenty of backs that can take his spot. Mario Fannin is one of them. There are also plenty of backs we can draft that can take his spot (all of those listed, except for James, as well as others).

broncobryce
02-01-2012, 01:20 PM
I would take james

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

dogfish
02-01-2012, 02:02 PM
sign benjarvus green-ellis in free agency and draft a speed back like pead. . . or draft martin, and let knowshon, ball and JJ compete for the last spot. . .

solved!

dogfish
02-01-2012, 02:04 PM

i truly think lance ball would have a better than even chance of beating him out. . . we shall see. . . but i don't think foxy likes the kid anywhere near as much as you do. . . :D

underrated29
02-01-2012, 02:31 PM
There are plenty of backs that can take his spot. Mario Fannin is one of them. There are also plenty of backs we can draft that can take his spot (all of those listed, except for James, as well as others).

Fannin wont take it. But even then we will be holding 3 RBs minimum. So mcgahee, fannin, knowshon, drafty- Fannin being bubble.

i truly think lance ball would have a better than even chance of beating him out. . . we shall see. . . but i don't think foxy likes the kid anywhere near as much as you do. . . :D

No way, now I agree knowshon is walking a fine line but no body would ever take lance ball over knowshon. Lance isnt as good a runner, not as fast and Extremely worse at catching the ball. Hes also not a threat in space. That said, I dont think anyone likes knowshon right now (including me) because he is a big vagina.

Thnikkaman
02-01-2012, 02:32 PM
I'd be happy to continue with Willis, Johnson, and Ball if Willis can stay healthy.

MOtorboat
02-01-2012, 02:40 PM
I don't see the use of drafting James if you've got Johnson already on the roster.

I'm a known Moreno fan, so I'm going to say we're actually set at RB. However, Fox was constantly bringing in running backs in Carolina, so I don't see them not making some sort of move at RB.

What about fullback? The big names were out there this year, and the Broncos didn't jump. I would like to see someone else other than Larsen at FB for the Broncos.

underrated29
02-01-2012, 02:45 PM
I don't see the use of drafting James if you've got Johnson already on the roster.

I'm a known Moreno fan, so I'm going to say we're actually set at RB. However, Fox was constantly bringing in running backs in Carolina, so I don't see them not making some sort of move at RB.

What about fullback? The big names were out there this year, and the Broncos didn't jump. I would like to see someone else other than Larsen at FB for the Broncos.

GREG JONES from jax...

Most of us wanted him a few years ago. He is a FA this year and Del Rio might just be able to seal the deal and bring him over. IT WOULD BE HUGE I think for our Run game. Jones is a good FB, knows how to block and plow the road, plus he is like Hillis in the aspect that he can do some damage running the ball himself.

I do not agree we are set at RB, even though like you I like knowshon, but that is really neither here nor there. I want us to replace ball with a speed demon.

But greg jones the FB....My #1 choice for FB

slim
02-01-2012, 02:50 PM

There are some interesting FA fullbacks. Marcel Reece, Mike Tolbert, Peyton Hillis (that's right, I said it), LeRon McClain...

Not sure you would want Tolbert or Hillis in that role, but there is something to be said for versatility.

iLands
02-01-2012, 03:04 PM
I guess I'll be controversial and say that I want to keep Knowshon next year. I'd give him one more year. Next year is when the cap bottom jumps anyway, so we could just trade him for w/e and get a get a great back with his money and our extra to spend. I think he has higher upside than any of the other backs and we have our new S&C coach. I think we use him as a receiver in open space in the middle and not use him exclusively in the backfield. He has lots of upside. If he's used as an outlet, he has a much higher likelihood of health.

FA:
He's not a power-runner which brings me to Michael Bush. He was great this year, filling in for Run DMC. He'd be Fox's new two-headed monster. A rotation of him and McGahee would be fantastic and cost-effective as well. I expect to see him here next season, or at least show enough interest that the Faiders pay way too much for him.

Draft:
Doug Martin.
Round two.
Forever.

(Or unless he has such an insane combine showing that he surges more.)

He's the guy that you want. Great hands. Great cuts. Strong. Second-gear in pads. Moves. Small. Blocks like a pro. He looks tough. He seemed enthusiastic about remaining a Bronco. He's what we can realistically get and I think he's the one we'd want most.

Retain:
Jeremiah Johnson:
He's cheap and he showed promise. I think he's total value and did pretty well in his limited time of activation.

FB
Cut:
Spencer Larsen - We can easily do better. It's such an important position for us and the league is tilting away from fullbacks in favor of TEs. This means that we'll be able to draft a tremendous fullback late.

Indifferent: Lance Ball. I'd drop him conditionally on acquiring Bush or another FA.

Fannin: No opinion.

turftoad
02-01-2012, 03:25 PM
GREG JONES from jax...

Most of us wanted him a few years ago. He is a FA this year and Del Rio might just be able to seal the deal and bring him over. IT WOULD BE HUGE I think for our Run game. Jones is a good FB, knows how to block and plow the road, plus he is like Hillis in the aspect that he can do some damage running the ball himself.

I do not agree we are set at RB, even though like you I like knowshon, but that is really neither here nor there. I want us to replace ball with a speed demon.

But greg jones the FB....My #1 choice for FB

Greg Jones is like 90 yrs old. No thanks.

blamkin86
02-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Bush was awesome at Louisville and I'd love to have him here. I think he and Elvis were on the field for Petrino when Lousville had that big offensive year. Of course we also had Brohm at QB...

underrated29
02-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Greg Jones is like 90 yrs old. No thanks.

I was wondering about that. I was thinking he was older but I wasnt for certain. Maybe then we should pass.

TXBRONC
02-01-2012, 03:34 PM

Yes he's under contract but that doesn't mean he can get the ax. It happens regularly in the NFL. This is guy who is coming off a acl injury so there is very chance he would be completely healthy by the time camp rolls around.

LTC Pain
02-01-2012, 03:42 PM

Agree about replacing Larsen. I've never been as excited about him as some others on this board have been.

turftoad
02-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Bush was awesome at Louisville and I'd love to have him here. I think he and Elvis were on the field for Petrino when Lousville had that big offensive year. Of course we also had Brohm at QB...

This ^
I would love to see Micheal Bush in a Broncos uni. He's a little older but not many miles on him.

Rick
02-01-2012, 04:01 PM
I think Bush would be great here as well but it is possible he is tired of being #2 and will want to go somewhere he is the legitimate #1.

Never know though, as many times as we carried the ball last year it should be a running backs dream to come here.

turftoad
02-01-2012, 04:10 PM
I think Bush would be great here as well but it is possible he is tired of being #2 and will want to go somewhere he is the legitimate #1.

Never know though, as many times as we carried the ball last year it should be a running backs dream to come here.

Bush is good enough to beat out Willis. Not only that but Willis is getting old and would be better suited with less carries for him to stay healthy and last longer.

Rick
02-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Doesn't matter if we think he is good enough, Bush might look at the situation and feel that coming in to a place that has a pro bowl RB on the roster is a far from guarantee of being #1.

However if he looks at the fact that Willis is over 30 and that at most maybe he would be second fiddle for a season or so then maybe.

Jsteve01
02-01-2012, 04:37 PM
I was wondering about that. I was thinking he was older but I wasnt for certain. Maybe then we should pass.

who cares? He's a FB Lorenzo Neal was still the best blocking fb in the game into his late 30s

Jsteve01
02-01-2012, 04:38 PM
This ^
I would love to see Micheal Bush in a Broncos uni. He's a little older but not many miles on him.

lol he's not old...He's a second contract free agent with very low mileage.

turftoad
02-01-2012, 04:42 PM
lol he's not old...He's a second contract free agent with very low mileage.

Oh, I agree he's got low mileage. Thats why I would like to see him in Denver.
However, he's going on 28yrs old. Thats not young by any means for a RB.

NightTerror218
02-01-2012, 04:58 PM
I personally think Moreno will be around this season. He was injured and so he will prob finish out his contract. But if we draft a new RB it will be for Johnson/Bell spot.

dogfish
02-01-2012, 05:38 PM
i'd take michael bush, for sure-- but i still think law firm is a better option, and will likely come cheaper. . . he's not as good a receiver as bush, but that doesn't matter to us anyway. . . law firm's a year younger with 100 less NFL carries-- and no devastating college injury as far as i know. . . his feet aren't as nifty as bush's are for a bigger guy, but he's a rugged between the tackles runner who's never fumbled a single time in the NFL, and he's a great pass protector. . . he's also a lot more likely to actually hit free agency. . .

turftoad
02-01-2012, 05:45 PM
i'd take michael bush, for sure-- but i still think law firm is a better option, and will likely come cheaper. . . he's not as good a receiver as bush, but that doesn't matter to us anyway. . . law firm's a year younger with 100 less NFL carries-- and no devastating college injury as far as i know. . . his feet aren't as nifty as bush's are for a bigger guy, but he's a rugged between the tackles runner who's never fumbled a single time in the NFL, and he's a great pass protector. . . he's also a lot more likely to actually hit free agency. . .

I could live with the Firm.

Timmy!
02-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Give me martin and either McClain or Reese. Dump ball. Let noshow and jj fight for the 3rd RB spot.

Northman
02-02-2012, 10:37 AM

^This

Johnson can easily perform the role of Sproles. Just have to get him the ball.

Northman
02-02-2012, 10:43 AM
I dont get the big stink with Michael Bush, in his first three years his numbers are not that much better than Moreno's. If the guy was legit he would already be starting.

slim
02-02-2012, 11:43 AM
I dont get the big stink with Michael Bush, in his first three years his numbers are not that much better than Moreno's. If the guy was legit he would already be starting.

Yeah, I don't get it either. He is an average running back, nothing more.

underrated29
02-02-2012, 12:03 PM

Not possible. Moreno is the worst rb in the nfl. Michael bush has actually had a 100 yard game. Moreno cant even run for 2 yards a carry.

iLands
02-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Some scouts are sayings Martin will be a first round talent.