PDA

View Full Version : A little more ipod help.

underrated29
03-10-2009, 03:08 PM
I have all these songs that i put into my itunes account, then i downloaded some more songs and ripped some cds, and added that to my itunes music also.

The problem is, when i added the new songs, it added all the old songs + the new songs and now i have double the songs.

Is there anyway to get the duplicate songs deleted from my ipod, without having to go in by hand and find all the dupes and delete them..

I have like 700 songs. That would take forever to do.

BroncoJoe
03-10-2009, 03:12 PM
I have all these songs that i put into my itunes account, then i downloaded some more songs and ripped some cds, and added that to my itunes music also.

The problem is, when i added the new songs, it added all the old songs + the new songs and now i have double the songs.

Is there anyway to get the duplicate songs deleted from my ipod, without having to go in by hand and find all the dupes and delete them..

I have like 700 songs. That would take forever to do.

There's an option to view duplicates. Depending on your version of iTunes, I believe it's in the menu bar, view, list duplicates. I'll have to check for sure, but there is a way to list dups. Makes it a lot easier to remove them.

BigDaddyBronco
03-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Joe, feeling better?

underrated29
03-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Im not seeing it yet. but i do suck at computers.

BroncoJoe
03-10-2009, 03:37 PM
In my version, it's actually under "file", not view.

You'll still have to delete each song individually, but at least you can see all the duplicates.

BroncoJoe
03-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Joe, feeling better?

I'm fine, thank you.

underrated29
03-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Oh $*%&!!!

I messed up big time now. Figures. So this is what i just did. I found the "show duplicates" part. Then i accidentally went to "sync songs" instead of "show duplicates".. They are right on top of each other.

Now i have 1171 songs that i think are duplicates. There is so many of them.

eff me in the butt.

Any advice for my dumbss now???

gnomeflinger
03-10-2009, 03:47 PM
I want to buy an ipod, but Mr Gnome doesn't think $150 is worth it. Please send all your pro-ipod stances here.

BroncoJoe
03-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Oh $*%&!!!

I messed up big time now. Figures. So this is what i just did. I found the "show duplicates" part. Then i accidentally went to "sync songs" instead of "show duplicates".. They are right on top of each other.

Now i have 1171 songs that i think are duplicates. There is so many of them.

eff me in the butt.

Any advice for my dumbss now???

They might only be duplicated on your iPod. Check your iTunes software, goto File, Show (List?) Duplicates. It should give you a number of songs listed. It will be a pain in the butt, but unless someone else has a suggestion, you'll have to delete each dup individually.

underrated29
03-10-2009, 03:52 PM
YOU WOULd also think that since you can check or uncheck the songs that you could just check all the dupes and delete them. Poor planning on ipods part...

Gnome- they are worth it- just get one and you wont regret it. I promise.

MrsBJ
03-10-2009, 03:54 PM
I want to buy an ipod, but Mr Gnome doesn't think $150 is worth it. Please send all your pro-ipod stances here.

I was stubborn about buying an ipod for years! I tried just about every windows based mp3 player out there - they were all frustrating! Once I finally gave in and got and ipod - it made my life so much easier.

Thnikkaman
03-10-2009, 04:06 PM
I suggest to format and resync.

BroncoJoe
03-10-2009, 04:16 PM
I suggest to format and resync.

I think the dups are in iTunes, as well as the iPod.

underrated29
03-10-2009, 04:22 PM
I think the dups are in iTunes, as well as the iPod.

Yes they are.

The good news is now i am down to 900 exactly that are dups in Itunes. My fingers hurt. I am deleting as many songs as i can in between me checking the files that people are putting on my desk. I am making progress.

Almost 300 are gone. Only 450 to go.

here is a question though, once i get rid of all the dups. Do i then re sync my ipod with the new music or do what thnikka said and delete everything from my ipod and then sync?

Thnikkaman
03-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Yes they are.

The good news is now i am down to 900 exactly that are dups in Itunes. My fingers hurt. I am deleting as many songs as i can in between me checking the files that people are putting on my desk. I am making progress.

Almost 300 are gone. Only 450 to go.

here is a question though, once i get rid of all the dups. Do i then re sync my ipod with the new music or do what thnikka said and delete everything from my ipod and then sync?

Once you have the dupes removed in iTunes (worst program ever (not really but I hate it)) you should be able to format the iPod and resync. Probably the fastest way to do it.

underrated29
03-10-2009, 04:34 PM

underrated29
03-10-2009, 04:55 PM

gnomeflinger
03-10-2009, 04:59 PM
I was stubborn about buying an ipod for years! I tried just about every windows based mp3 player out there - they were all frustrating! Once I finally gave in and got and ipod - it made my life so much easier.

How is it easier? Do you have to use iTunes, or can you use any mp3 based file? How is the menu different than like an RCA or Phillips brand?

gnomeflinger
03-10-2009, 04:59 PM
u29, can't you just hook your player up to the computer and delete files that way?

underrated29
03-10-2009, 05:25 PM
I DONT KNow i am not good with computers.

But i did finish deleting all my duplicates! yay.

I made the stupid mistake the first time i imported my music to keep it all there and on my HD, then i added more songs to my HD folder and transfered the entire folder again into itunes and to my ipod so i had dups....

Then i just made that mistake where instead of "show dups" i synced and did it all over again....now i know what to do and what not to do...

I am deleting my songs right now from itunes and ipod. Then i am going to transfer the whole HD folder back and get all my songs only once. Then i will make a copy of my HD files as a backup and delete the existing HD file so that i can never ever run into this problem again.

i am sure i did this all the long and hard way, but i just dont think on the same wavelength as computers do.

gnomeflinger
03-10-2009, 07:42 PM
I DONT KNow i am not good with computers.

But i did finish deleting all my duplicates! yay.

I made the stupid mistake the first time i imported my music to keep it all there and on my HD, then i added more songs to my HD folder and transfered the entire folder again into itunes and to my ipod so i had dups....

Then i just made that mistake where instead of "show dups" i synced and did it all over again....now i know what to do and what not to do...

I am deleting my songs right now from itunes and ipod. Then i am going to transfer the whole HD folder back and get all my songs only once. Then i will make a copy of my HD files as a backup and delete the existing HD file so that i can never ever run into this problem again.

i am sure i did this all the long and hard way, but i just dont think on the same wavelength as computers do.

Whatever gets the job done. :salute: I'm a "if all else fails, read the directions" person.

underrated29
03-12-2009, 12:28 PM
oh geeze.

I ripped a cd and tried to add it to my ipod- i am such a loser. I copied all my songs...Again.. and the ripped cd to the ipod. I have now 2234 songs on the ipod....The cool thing is its a 60 gig ipod so it holds a ton, but now i got to go back through and delete all these dam dups again.

underrated29
03-12-2009, 12:34 PM

MOtorboat
03-12-2009, 12:37 PM
oh geeze.

I ripped a cd and tried to add it to my ipod- i am such a loser. I copied all my songs...Again.. and the ripped cd to the ipod. I have now 2234 songs on the ipod....The cool thing is its a 60 gig ipod so it holds a ton, but now i got to go back through and delete all these dam dups again.

Can't you synch your ipod with itunes and it will do all that for you...

underrated29
03-12-2009, 12:39 PM
I dont know man. I'm such an idiot that i just did again today what i was freaking complaining about my stupid self doing yesterday.

If there is such a way please let me know.

MOtorboat
03-12-2009, 12:41 PM
I dont know man. I'm such an idiot that i just did again today what i was freaking complaining about my stupid self doing yesterday.

If there is such a way please let me know.

OK...so it's plugged in, and you're navigating through itunes, right?

Slick
03-12-2009, 12:44 PM
i have to agree with Tinker. The program itself sucks. The Ipod is great, I just don't care for the Itunes program. The day I started just dragging files off and on using Linux was one of the happiest days in my Ipod life.

I'd tell you how to do that U29, but I'm afraid I would just confuse you even more. I haven't used Itunes itself in well over a year so I'm not sure how it works at this point. I feel your pain man. A man's music is important.

underrated29
03-12-2009, 12:50 PM
OK...so it's plugged in, and you're navigating through itunes, right?

YEAH.

right now i am deleting all the duplicates...Go on....

BroncoJoe
03-12-2009, 12:55 PM
u29, at the risks of offending you, you're a dumbass for doing this.

AGAIN! :D

Anyone know how to resolve a "restore" nightmare? I've got a 30GB video iPod that is stuck in restore mode. Hook it up, say's it is restoring, says restore complete, restarts and tells me it needs to be restored. I've done this like a million times.

:mad:

MOtorboat
03-12-2009, 12:58 PM
YEAH.

right now i am deleting all the duplicates...Go on....

If you click on your "ipod" and get to that screen, there's a button at the bottom of the page that says "sync ipod" And when you click it, it syncs your ipod with your itunes. Mine is set up to do that automatically.

Slick
03-12-2009, 12:59 PM
u29, at the risks of offending you, you're a dumbass for doing this.

AGAIN! :D

Anyone know how to resolve a "restore" nightmare? I've got a 30GB video iPod that is stuck in restore mode. Hook it up, say's it is restoring, says restore complete, restarts and tells me it needs to be restored. I've done this like a million times.

That happened to me one time before I switched to Linux. I took it over to my step-dad's house and restored it on his computer...took it back home and I was able to sync it back up. Maybe try that on Mrs. Joe's computer if she has her own Itunes program.

BroncoJoe
03-12-2009, 01:00 PM
If you click on your "ipod" and get to that screen, there's a button at the bottom of the page that says "sync ipod" And when you click it, it syncs your ipod with your itunes. Mine is set up to do that automatically.

Problem is the duplicates are in iTunes. Syncing it will just put all the dups on his iPod.

BroncoJoe
03-12-2009, 01:00 PM
That happened to me one time before I switched to Linux. I took it over to my step-dad's house and restored it on his computer...took it back home and I was able to sync it back up. Maybe try that on Mrs. Joe's computer if she has her own Itunes program.

It's actually hers. I don't use iTunes, but I guess I'll install it and try it on mine.

underrated29
03-12-2009, 01:04 PM

I will try that thanks...Right now its gving me the do not disconnect sign as it is syncing all the intunes songs...All 2200+.

Once i am able to do this though, what will that do? Will it allow me to auto delete all the dups?

underrated29
03-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Problem is the duplicates are in iTunes. Syncing it will just put all the dups on his iPod.

Yes thats where the dups are, but now they are on the ipod.

And no man you didnt and wont offend me...I know i am a dipshit when it comes to computers, i thought along time ago i would be able to fix it, but i gave up. And have accepted the fact that i suck at them forever and always.

MOtorboat
03-12-2009, 01:07 PM
I will try that thanks...Right now its gving me the do not disconnect sign as it is syncing all the intunes songs...All 2200+.

Once i am able to do this though, what will that do? Will it allow me to auto delete all the dups?

No, I didn't realize the problem was in itunes, and not on the ipod.

Good luck with that. :2thumbs:

underrated29
03-12-2009, 01:22 PM

getlynched47
03-12-2009, 01:31 PM
700 songs is nothing brutha. Delete all of your songs from your ipod...go to your library and under file click "View Duplicates"...then delete the copies you dont want. Finally just re-send all of your songs back to your ipod. I dont think it allows you to "View Duplicates" on your ipod...only your library.

I've got 2569 songs on my iPod :cool:

BroncoJoe
03-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Man, it still didn't work. Still stuck in recovery mode.

Bad internal HD?

underrated29
03-12-2009, 02:26 PM

Bad internal HD?

YOU Want to know what i would do?

Lol- yeah, i didnt think so. Probably duplicate the recovery mode thing...

All i can think of is let the power completely drain out of the ipod, then once its dead, charge her back up again and see if a full shutdown clears everything up.

Thnikkaman
03-12-2009, 02:30 PM

Bad internal HD?

Have you tried the manual reset on the iPod? Hold down the center button and menu at the same time until the apple icon appears on the display.

BroncoJoe
03-12-2009, 02:31 PM
YOU Want to know what i would do?

Lol- yeah, i didnt think so. Probably duplicate the recovery mode thing...

All i can think of is let the power completely drain out of the ipod, then once its dead, charge her back up again and see if a full shutdown clears everything up.

I've tried that too - it auto shuts-off. Can't keep it on to fully drain the battery.

underrated29
03-12-2009, 02:35 PM
I've tried that too - it auto shuts-off. Can't keep it on to fully drain the battery.

hmmmm.. Does it auto shut off at a certain point, or just after non use? This would suck, but if its just a use thing, you could just watch a movie or an avs game or something and spin the little circle the whole time to keep it active and draining.

i had to do that once. I froze the dam thing somehow, and i had to just keep it active until i killed it. But that was my wifes nano-.

good luck.

BroncoJoe
03-12-2009, 02:45 PM
hmmmm.. Does it auto shut off at a certain point, or just after non use? This would suck, but if its just a use thing, you could just watch a movie or an avs game or something and spin the little circle the whole time to keep it active and draining.

i had to do that once. I froze the dam thing somehow, and i had to just keep it active until i killed it. But that was my wifes nano-.

good luck.

Thanks. Unfortunately, the only screen I get on the iPod is "Use iTunes to restore". I restore it, and it gives me the exact same screen. I think the HD might have crashed or something.

Then it shuts off. I'm about to throw the damn thing in the trash.

Thnikkaman
03-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks. Unfortunately, the only screen I get on the iPod is "Use iTunes to restore". I restore it, and it gives me the exact same screen. I think the HD might have crashed or something.

Then it shuts off. I'm about to throw the damn thing in the trash.

Have you tried the reset I suggested?

underrated29
03-12-2009, 03:10 PM

Thats a good idea T. I didnt know you could do that....

Whats really weird is i swear you hadnt posted in this thread all day. Then i see this post ^ and go back and there you were. But i do not remember seeing you have a post. Really weird.

Just saying becuase it seems joe did not see it either.

BroncoJoe
03-12-2009, 03:25 PM

Was that where you hold down the menu button and select? If so, yes. 100 times...

Thnikkaman
03-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Was that where you hold down the menu button and select? If so, yes. 100 times...

Ok. have you tried washing it in the washing machine, or tossing it in the toilette.

Or sending a picture of your junk to Steve Jobs. In fact, I think everyone in America should do this.

BroncoJoe
03-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Ok. have you tried washing it in the washing machine, or tossing it in the toilette.

Or sending a picture of your junk to Steve Jobs. In fact, I think everyone in America should do this.

LOL - I hate anything Mac. Unfortunately, with teenagers in the house, it's tough not to get iPods. I have an old Sansa MP3 player. NEVER had a problem.

I've bought one daughter three iPods. Because the previous two died.

Thnikkaman
03-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Are you going to loose any music if you re-format the iPod, or update the firmware?

BroncoJoe
03-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Are you going to loose any music if you re-format the iPod, or update the firmware?

No - everything is on the computer. I even tried to format the drive via Windows Disk Management. I'm at a loss.

MrsBJ
03-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Dear Joe,

The thing is dead. Please give up.

xo

Thnikkaman
03-12-2009, 03:45 PM
I have seen a couple of things that say to change the drive letter that windows assigns the iPod (in disk management) then restore the iPod. But I am guessing that you have tried that as well.

BroncoJoe
03-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Dear Joe,

The thing is dead. Please give up.

xo

LOL, Honey.

I have seen a couple of things that say to change the drive letter that windows assigns the iPod (in disk management) then restore the iPod. But I am guessing that you have tried that as well.

Yep.

Magnificent Seven
03-12-2009, 04:04 PM

You won't lose anything because you will have itune library on the computer. You will probably have a lot of stuff in your iTunes library. Music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and audiobooks can easily add up to thousands of files. iTunes is both a media player and a database, and it’s the latter feature that helps you organize all these files. No matter where the items reside, you can see information about them in a clear, easy-to-use interface. You can then choose what to listen to, watch, or copy to an iPod, iPhone, or Apple TV.

The first time you launch iTunes, it creates an iTunes Music folder and places it in your user folder/Music/iTunes). iTunes’ default setting is to download purchased files and copy all imported media files to that folder. It will also keep files organized by artist and album. These settings guarantee that you can find all your media files easily.

Thnikkaman
03-12-2009, 04:23 PM
You won't lose anything because you will have itune library on the computer. You will probably have a lot of stuff in your iTunes library. Music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and audiobooks can easily add up to thousands of files. iTunes is both a media player and a database, and it’s the latter feature that helps you organize all these files. No matter where the items reside, you can see information about them in a clear, easy-to-use interface. You can then choose what to listen to, watch, or copy to an iPod, iPhone, or Apple TV.

The first time you launch iTunes, it creates an iTunes Music folder and places it in your user folder/Music/iTunes). iTunes’ default setting is to download purchased files and copy all imported media files to that folder. It will also keep files organized by artist and album. These settings guarantee that you can find all your media files easily.

I know this, but many people (myself included) do not use iTunes to keep their libraries up to date. iTunes is a worthless piece of bloatware (if you know what you are doing), and there are better alternatives for everything but firmware updates.

iTunes was great until Apple kept adding features to it. And the installer wanting to make me install Safari, and other usless apple software on my computer makes it feel like a virus.

Broncospsycho77
03-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Somewhere in Silicon Valley, Steve Jobs smiles a Grinch-like smile.