PDA

View Full Version : Kiper: Cutler Overrated From Day 1

honz
03-10-2009, 02:15 PM
KIPER: CASSEL > CUTLER

This was all prompted because the Broncos tried to trade Cutler in a three-team deal that would've yielded them Matt Cassel from New England. But when the trade fell through, Cutler started to complain.

Highlights of the best moments from Jay Cutler in 2008.
Kiper says Cassel would have been an "upgrade" over Cutler and that Cutler, to put it mildly, overrated.

"[Cutler] throws one pass, he's a Hall of Famer," Kiper says. "I've seen the media put him in the Hall of Fame. I had to run to the bathroom quick. It was making me ill. I've been hearing this overhype.

"This guy was overhyped at the combine, he was overhyped at Senior Bowl week, he's been overhyped before he was drafted. The media, they love Jay Cutler. Jay Cutler can do no wrong I've been saying he's overrated since Day 1. Everyone's been pounding their chests saying, 'Oh, I love Jay Cutler, I'm a genius.' They have egg on their face now."

Kiper points out that Cutler has yet to lead the Broncos to a winning record or a playoff appearance. Also, Kiper says, "[Cutler] makes throws that leave you scratching you head, which I said on draft day when he was picked. Yeah, he's got a strong arm, but my daughter knew he had a strong arm. She could've written that report."

More Podcasts »
Kiper compares Cutler to Jeff George. "Jeff George had a great arm, and Jeff George had a lot of great games in this league, and people were putting Jeff George in the HOF early in his career. So I'm just telling you, this is ridiculous."

Also, Cutler once said he had a better arm than John Elway. Not surprisingly, Kiper isn't a big fan of that comment, either. "So what? Who cares? Why would you make a comparison to John Elway, that could be taken like you're in a position to critique the quarterback that is a legend."

I'm guessing Kiper is still trying to wipe the egg off his face from being all over Leinart's and Young's jocks. :coffee:

getlynched47
03-10-2009, 02:17 PM
what a friggin idiot.

This is the guy that dubbed Vince Young and Matt Leinart super stars from day one :rolleyes:..........idiot :coffee:

JONtheBRONCO
03-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Wow Mel, did Jay pound your daughter or what??

getlynched47
03-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Wow Mel, did Jay pound your daughter or what??

If Kiper's daughter looks anything like him....i wouldnt....

BroncoNut
03-10-2009, 02:23 PM
yeah, how would his daughter know how strong of an arm Cutler has? I thought that was a stupid comment which could be taken as pretty sexist. what a moron

underrated29
03-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Kiper your hair is overrated.

BigDaddyBronco
03-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Kiper is tired of getting owned by McShay.

Lashing out. What a tard.

getlynched47
03-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Kiper your hair is overrated.

Can somebody tell him that we arent in the 70's anymore :coffee:

http://thesportshernia.typepad.com/blog/images/2007/04/29/mel_kiper_raging_hair_helmet.jpg

:lol:

EMB6903
03-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Kiper just cant admit when he is wrong, thats all... he will be left to look like an idiot once again in about 3 years looking back at this article.

a career back up better then Jay Cutler?

HA!

BroncoWave
03-10-2009, 02:40 PM
I don't have a problem with Kiper thinking Cassel is better than Cutler, my problem with the piece is that instead of giving reasons why Cassel is better, it's just a bashfest on Jay. Very poorly constructed argument.

dogfish
03-10-2009, 02:41 PM
time to put that old horse out to pasture. . . .

BigDaddyBronco
03-10-2009, 02:45 PM

Todd McShay is working on it.

Not that he is any better than Kiper, but all of these guys outlive their usefulness.

Italianmobstr7
03-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Kiper is a moron if he thinks Cassell is better than Cutler.

Dreadnought
03-10-2009, 02:48 PM

Yep - anyone who reads sports journalists regularly will read more than their share of moronic ranting. This fool is just worse than most. Leinart = dud; Vince Young = dud. Mel Kiper Jr. = washed up and embarrassing hack.

LRtagger
03-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Has anybody seen Kiper's mock from 06?? He had us taking Chad Jackson from day 1...yea, we sure made a bad decision there. bauahahahhahaha

And he has houston taking Reggie Bush #1 overall...I'm sure they are regretting taking Mario Williams instead of listening to Kiper.

I'll give credit to Kiper because he really pioneered this stuff, but the guy is loony toons.

BroncoWave
03-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Has anybody seen Kiper's mock from 06?? He had us taking Chad Jackson from day 1...yea, we sure made a bad decision there. bauahahahhahaha

And he has houston taking Reggie Bush #1 overall...I'm sure they are regretting taking Mario Williams instead of listening to Kiper.

I'll give credit to Kiper because he really pioneered this stuff, but the guy is loony toons.

To be fair, a lot of mock drafts and a good chunk of our fans had us taking Jackson as well.

As did everyone else in the free world.

Also, you could look at ANY MOCK DRAFT EVER made by anyone and you would see several picks that look stupid in hindsight. That's just the nature of the business.

LRtagger
03-10-2009, 03:18 PM
To be fair, a lot of mock drafts and a good chunk of our fans had us taking Jackson as well.

As did everyone else in the free world.

Also, you could look at ANY MOCK DRAFT EVER made by anyone and you would see several picks that look stupid in hindsight. That's just the nature of the business.

Which is exactly why this article is idiotic.

He is calling Cutler out because he is better than the other two QBs who's balls Kiper was swinging from.

The fact remains if they held the draft again today, Cutler would go #2 overall behind Williams.

Kiper has no leg to stand on here. He's off his rocker.

BroncoWave
03-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Which is exactly why this article is idiotic.

He is calling Cutler out because he is better than the other two QBs who's balls Kiper was swinging from.

The fact remains if they held the draft again today, Cutler would go #2 overall behind Williams.

Kiper has no leg to stand on here. He's off his rocker.

Oh, I agree that the article is a load of shit. I'm just saying that when you go back and look at mock drafts, everyone gets a lot of things wrong.

Lonestar
03-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Wow what hate.. Scary..

LRtagger
03-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Oh, I agree that the article is a load of shit. I'm just saying that when you go back and look at mock drafts, everyone gets a lot of things wrong.

No doubt about it, but for Kiper to sit on his high horse and say "I was right about Jay Cutler" when he was wrong on so many other counts is mindboggling.

Also it is worth noting that Kiper still slotted Jay to go 9th overall to the Cardinals even though he thought/thinks he sucks.

BroncoWave
03-10-2009, 03:39 PM
No doubt about it, but for Kiper to sit on his high horse and say "I was right about Jay Cutler" when he was wrong on so many other counts is mindboggling.

Also it is worth noting that Kiper still slotted Jay to go 9th overall to the Cardinals even though he thought/thinks he sucks.

Yeah, I agree that that's a stupid argument on his part.

As for slotting him 9th to Arizona, I think he based that on what he thinks teams will do, not necessarily based on what he thinks of the player.

NameUsedBefore
03-10-2009, 03:44 PM
"This guy was overhyped at the combine, he was overhyped at Senior Bowl week, he's been overhyped before he was drafted. The media, they love Jay Cutler. Jay Cutler can do no wrong I've been saying he's overrated since Day 1. Everyone's been pounding their chests saying, 'Oh, I love Jay Cutler, I'm a genius.' They have egg on their face now."

Kiper is so butt hurt over getting that draft completely wrong that he's become delusional here. Yeah, Kiper, you were right when everyone else was wrong. I half expected him to shout "Leinart almost got a ring this year!"

GEM
03-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Kiper....who was your #1 qb in the draft that year? How's he doin now buddy?

Yea...nuff said.

jrelway
03-10-2009, 03:54 PM
cant belive he wrote an article like this. i thought he was way smarter than that. i think mayocks better anyways.

Lonestar
03-10-2009, 04:02 PM
cant belive he wrote an article like this. i thought he was way smarter than that. i think mayocks better anyways.

I also think Mayock is better but Mel is an Icon and many hate him because he has hair..

I think Cassell could be just as good in the system as Jay can be.. for me it would have been a wash..

Cassell is a team player, putting the team first, is Jay?

Could not prove that by me with all of the forcing of passes verses hitting the open man in many, many cases last year..

Was he a hero? or a self serving QB looking to enhance his pocketbook with incentives..

Did he do this for his glory or because mikey wanted/allowed him to?

Guess we will never know for sure..

Simple Jaded
03-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Mel Kiper is a Draftnik! There is no such thing as a Draftnik "Icon".......

SmilinAssasSin27
03-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Kiper<douche

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-10-2009, 04:31 PM
How Would Mel Kiper Fare in the NFL Draft??

by Dan Rosa (Scribe)

January 17, 2009

By Michael Gordon, Sean Fitzgerald, and Dan Rosa

Mel Kiper has been grading NFL draft prospects for a generation. Now it's our turn—to grade him:

Speed:
Terrible. It took him four minutes to run the 40. He might have been sub 20 seconds if he didn't stop to rearrange his Big Board.

Agility:
If Tom Brady moves "like molasses", then Kiper moves like a rock.

Intelligence:
He makes Vince Young look like a genius. On the Wonderlic, he scored a three. C'mon, give the guy a break. He's a draft expert, not a functioning human being.

Football Intelligence/Awareness:
None. If you put Kiper on a football field, he might think it was Mars.

Vertical Leap:
Ever play the game where you try to slide a piece of paper under Kiper's feet when he jumps? You always lose, but it's still fun.

Hands:
He has really large hands.

Strength:
Not sure. He didn't understand squats, bench press, or bicep curls. He did do one push up, but then held the back of his arm in pain and asked what muscle that was. (His triceps.)

Route Running:
He might be okay if he didn't 1) fall over all the time and 2) wear that suit all the time.

Blocking:
Not sure. But I'd like to see him try!

College Program Prestige:
Essex Community College. Do they even have a football team?

Cool Factor:
Zero. He's like Todd McShay's awkward, older brother who's never talked to a girl.

Overall Prospect Rating:
One of the worst players ever at any position. He's so bad that there is no position he would not be terrible at.

So, we estimate that Mel Kiper Jr., of Essex Community College in Baltimore, would project as a rookie free agent. (Unless of course 'Hairspray' the musical had a draft pick...then he'd be perfect.)

Out of 300 Million Americans, we believe Kiper to be the 120 Millionth best football player.

JKcatch724
03-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Nothing to see here, people. Just a washed up hack of an "expert" trying to stay more relevant than his younger, better counterparts by saying ridiculous things that will keep his name in the mouths of people like us instead of providing constructive analysis.

BroncoWave
03-10-2009, 05:02 PM
I also think Mayock is better but Mel is an Icon and many hate him because he has hair..

I think Cassell could be just as good in the system as Jay can be.. for me it would have been a wash..

Cassell is a team player, putting the team first, is Jay?

Could not prove that by me with all of the forcing of passes verses hitting the open man in many, many cases last year..

Was he a hero? or a self serving QB looking to enhance his pocketbook with incentives..

Did he do this for his glory or because mikey wanted/allowed him to?

Guess we will never know for sure..

I think the argument could definitely be made that Cassel could be just as good for the team as Cutler. I don't necessarily agree with that assessment but a valid argument could definitely be made. But like I said earlier, the biggest problem with Kiper's article is that he didn't tell us what makes Cassel better than Cutler, he just has a big bashfest on Jay.

Simple Jaded
03-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Nothing to see here, people. Just a washed up hack of an "expert" trying to stay more relevant than his younger, better counterparts by saying ridiculous things that will keep his name in the mouths of people like us instead of providing constructive analysis.

Charles Davis and Mike Mayock are "Experts".......Kiper was never an "Expert", he's nothing more than a draftnik who's opinion is no more weighty than that of Cutler's biggest draftnik supporters.

As far as I know Kiper has never even been a cheerleader, and his list of "Draft Guru" blunders (Leaf>Manning) is amusing to say the least, but that's what happens when someone so clearly unqualified tries to pass himself off as some kind of expert.

ESPN wanted to replace him years ago but apparently seem unwilling to chance losing the huge numbers that his hair draws to the already most watched draft in professional sports.

Kiper is doing nothing more than kicking a man when he is down, and for no other reason than to say "I told you so", his tirade was thoroughly classless. I stopped taking him seriously when actual scouts started giving their educated analysis.......

JKcatch724
03-10-2009, 05:06 PM
I think the argument could definitely be made that Cassel could be just as good for the team as Cutler. I don't necessarily agree with that assessment but a valid argument could definitely be made. But like I said earlier, the biggest problem with Kiper's article is that he didn't tell us what makes Cassel better than Cutler, he just has a big bashfest on Jay.

Exactly, which makes him no more intelligent than any loudmouth Charger fan. It definitely doesn't make him any kind of expert.

DenBronx
03-10-2009, 05:12 PM
kiper is just pissed because mayock is a better evaluater of talent. mayock was the guy that really opened alot of peoples eyes to cutler during the senior bowl and combine. then to have a team draft up to get him and have him turn out to be a pro bowler im sure it really ticked kiper off.

kiper is mayocks bitch.

Lonestar
03-10-2009, 05:20 PM

Hey I agree nothing made in that department..

as far as Cassell vs Jay initially I think Cassell would have been better.

Long term Jay will be IF he buys into the team concept and less about me,, as he has a better long distance arm..

But I firmly believe that Cassell would have been fine long term also..

JKcatch724
03-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Hey I agree nothing made in that department..

as far as Cassell vs Jay initially I think Cassell would have been better.

Long term Jay will be IF he buys into the team concept and less about me,, as he has a better long distance arm..

But I firmly believe that Cassell would have been fine long term also..

All these people swinging off Cassel's nuts are going to be severely disappointed come next year when he doesn't have McDaniel's system to hold his hand. Somebody better have Kiper's crow sandwich ready when Cassel plays like the career backup he really is in KC and Jay goes to another Pro Bowl.

Greatspirits
03-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Kipers a friggin idiot!! He doesn't say about all the blown picks he's made! That said, It's time for Cutler to put up or shut up or he will be the next Jeff George!!

Lonestar
03-10-2009, 06:58 PM
All these people swinging off Cassel's nuts are going to be severely disappointed come next year when he doesn't have McDaniel's system to hold his hand. Somebody better have Kiper's crow sandwich ready when Cassel plays like the career backup he really is in KC and Jay goes to another Pro Bowl.

So would that have made him a bad choice in DEN?

I think not I think he would have been extraordinary in DEN with eh talent that we have and will be coming in.. Perhaps not Jay but he would have done well here under Josh..

Had the situation been reversed.. how would Jay have been in KC next year?

Watchthemiddle
03-10-2009, 07:02 PM

I think not I think he would have been extraordinary in DEN with eh talent that we have and will be coming in.. Perhaps not Jay but he would have done well here under Josh..

but but but...if Jay went to KC, he wouldn't have had all the weapons he has here......
Maybe he could turn them into Vance Johnson, Mark Jackson, and Ricky Nattiel. Those were some powerful weapons....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lonestar
03-10-2009, 07:04 PM
but but but...if Jay went to KC, he wouldn't have had all the weapons he has here......
Maybe he could turn them into Vance Johnson, Mark Jackson, and Ricky Nattiel. Those were some powerful weapons....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

your talking heresy here.. about to get flamed better go find your ASSbestos suit..

skycoyote
03-10-2009, 07:05 PM
I would say Jay was underrated from day 1.

Watchthemiddle
03-10-2009, 07:07 PM
your talking heresy here.. about to get flamed better go find your ASSbestos suit..

JR....its WTM your talking tooo....

:coffee:

Watchthemiddle
03-10-2009, 07:08 PM
I would say Jay was underrated from day 1.

WHY might I ask?

red98
03-10-2009, 07:09 PM

With Pioli picking the talent and the OC from the only team to advance to the playoffs when the D gives up 400 points as the HC?

Probably a pro-bowler again.

Dreadnought
03-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Kipers a friggin idiot!! He doesn't say about all the blown picks he's made! That said, It's time for Cutler to put up or shut up or he will be the next Jeff George!!

The Cutler - George comparison couldn't be more off base. Cutler has the full support and respect of his team mates, something Jeff George never did anywhere he played. You get that by earning it, and clearly Cutler has. How? Can't say for sure, but then I'm not on the practice field, meeting rooms, or locker room with the guy. It remains to be seen if McDaniels manages to screw that up now

Dean
03-10-2009, 07:42 PM
The Cutler - George comparison couldn't be more off base. Cutler has the full support and respect of his team mates, something Jeff George never did anywhere he played. You get that by earning it, and clearly Cutler has. How? Can't say for sure, but then I'm not on the practice field, meeting rooms, or locker room with the guy. It remains to be seen if McDaniels manages to screw that up now

Besides the respect factor one might want to look into comparisons between Jeff George and Jay Cutler before they link them as being the same type of player.

Jay Cutler Jeff George

9,024 passing yards 7,025

62.5% completion % 56.3

54 passing TDs 33

37 interceptions 40

I don't see any validity in comparing the two other than they had/have strong arms. Anyone can draw a comparison. "Like so and so" or 'as another player does it" are easy to spout off but the question is whether the connection is strong enough to actually expect similar outcomes for the person being compared.

skycoyote
03-10-2009, 07:50 PM
WHY might I ask?

Because two quarterbacks were taken before he was and there both on the bench. Jay passed for over 4K yards and was selected to the probowl. Neither Leinart or Young were.

Poet
03-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Mel Kiper is awful. I would love to have his job, it really is the easiest job of them all. You do nothing but spout off about the 32 or so "best" players and then you go on and on about a few guys. After you have your entire big board set up, which you get infinite time to do, you can say whatever you want. I mean, with so many variables you get to just pull a random "flaw" or "strength" to justify your choice.

I am a man who loves consistency. To me, it is the most important part of a NFL player. One great year means nothing to me. I can pull up an insanely long list of players in the current NFL who are living off of one year, or are overrated because of that one year. Cassel had a good year. Yeah, it took him longer to get into his "groove" blah blah blah. But, what did he do? Exactly what did he do? I refuse to hold him accountable for him missing the playoffs, 11-5 almost always goes. But, what great things did he do? Was it all Welker and Moss? No, no way that's true. But, Peyton Manning has great tools and it's obvious that he's great. Tom Brady is obviously great, you can just see it.

Jay Cutler has not in my opinion had a truly great year yet. But, his best year is better than Cassel's, he is more proven, and the statement that Cassel>Cutler is as justifiable as me in 05 going Palmer>Manning.

Well, less so because at least my boy actually outplayed someone that year.:lol:

I have a favorite story that I like to tell in times like these.

*Ahem*

Once upon a time, there was a man named Mel Kiper Jr.

He sucked.

The end.

Hobe
03-10-2009, 09:37 PM
I very rarely tune into ESPN on the TV or go to ESPN.com. They have been steadily going down hill since Disney bought them out. They have become a real "Mickey Mouse" outfit!

Lonestar
03-10-2009, 11:29 PM
I very rarely tune into ESPN on the TV or go to ESPN.com. They have been steadily going down hill since Disney bought them out. They have become a real "Mickey Mouse" outfit!

when your Number 1 you do not have to TRY HARDER..

Northman
03-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Cutler has his fair share of maturity problems but i must say Kiper has a real hard on for Jay. Dont know what it is that he absolutely hates about the kid but man he takes every opportunity to tear him down. Talk about needing to grow up Kiper needs to get some dependz and a bottle.

bullis26
03-10-2009, 11:41 PM
Mel Kipers mock drafts remain to be the most reliable some how though..... i always look at them and look how bad they are, he's an idiot

broncophan
03-11-2009, 01:13 AM
when your Number 1 you do not have to TRY HARDER..

For college football and college basketball.....nobody does it better than espn......I think they have a long ways to go though, as far as their nfl coverage goes.......imo