PDA

View Full Version : LaDainian Tomlinson anyone?

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-10-2009, 12:24 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=525693

I would love it if he was here. I don't think we could afford it. When I look at that list only 3 make sense.

slim
03-10-2009, 12:27 AM
No.

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-10-2009, 12:32 AM
No.

No you don't want him? Or no because of the money he will command?

MasterShake
03-10-2009, 12:35 AM
No you don't want him? Or no because of the money he will command?

I say no because we don't have a time machine to go back and get him before he burned out his fuel tank. I can't see him being more than a possession back instead of the double threat he used to be. Can't even imagine if Cutler and him went after each other like he and Rivers did. They'd have to keep a box of pacifiers by the bench.

Shazam!
03-10-2009, 12:45 AM
Do the Broncos really need another RB, especially one with this kind of mileage? Lady Tom is done.

jrelway
03-10-2009, 12:48 AM
IF the chargers cut him, id welcome LT with open arms.

MasterShake
03-10-2009, 12:49 AM
IF the chargers cut him, id welcome LT with open arms.

So would every opposing defense who would tackle his old tired butt in the backfield. :lol:

BroncoWave
03-10-2009, 01:01 AM
Reasons I don't want LT:

1. Too expensive
2. We have too many RB's as it is
3. He's past his prime
4. Between he and Cutler, the city of Denver would run out of Kleenex.

ursak
03-10-2009, 01:16 AM
Cut Jordan, Buckhalter, Arrington and sign LT :)
The two first have past their "prime" too...

WARHORSE
03-10-2009, 01:22 AM
Id take him if he came at a super reduced price. But I dont see any team paying high prices for a RB even of his calibre with the risk of his career going even further downhill.

I believe that LT can still kick some serious butt, but if he gets injured......that cuts into his productivity on a large scale.

Thats too much of a risk.

But AJ isnt the sentimental type...............and if hes not gone this year........he most definitely will be next year.

JKcatch724
03-10-2009, 03:11 AM
**** LT. I hope the Chargers keep him so he can rot away the rest of his career there while he piles up ZERO championships. I've always thought he was overrated.

Dirk
03-10-2009, 07:52 AM
No!

LT is one of the greatest RBs of all time. Unfortunately, as he has gotten older, he seems to NOT have the ability to "man-up" when he needs to. It seems he sits on the sidelines pouting if he gets a hangnail.

I have loved and admired LT for years, but his time has passed.

broncofaninfla
03-10-2009, 07:55 AM
No way we could pass on LT if we had a chance to get him. He might not be the superstar he was a couple of years ago but he is still way better than anybody we currently have. It would make the 3 RB signings we've had so far look kind of pointless BUT they kind of look kind of pointless right now anyway. None is any better than we currently have and al have a history of getting injured. Just proved we jumped the gun by signing these guys.

Dirk
03-10-2009, 08:01 AM
No way we could pass on LT if we had a chance to get him. He might not be the superstar he was a couple of years ago but he is still way better than anybody we currently have. It would make the 3 RB signings we've had so far look kind of pointless BUT they kind of look kind of pointless right now anyway. None is any better than we currently have and al have a history of getting injured. Just proved we jumped the gun by signing these guys.

I kind of agree with you BF, but remember, when the chips were down the last two years...who was injured on the Bolts? LT :tsk:

broncofaninfla
03-10-2009, 08:05 AM
I kind of agree with you BF, but remember, when the chips were down the last two years...who was injured on the Bolts? LT :tsk:

Good point, but if we have a chance to bring in LT and use him 10-15 carries a game I think he would be a great addition. It's looks like we are going to the RB by commitee type approach again this year, sure would be a solid addition to the team to have a guy like LT making half of those carries. Not to mention signing LT just to ensure we don't have to play him twice a year too.

Dirk
03-10-2009, 08:16 AM
. Not to mention signing LT just to ensure we don't have to play him twice a year too.

:lol: :lol:

This is the best part!!

Medford Bronco
03-10-2009, 08:56 AM
I would love it so he can stick it to SD twice a year.

Even though he has been a bit whiny sometimes, overall he is a pretty
good guy and would look good in the Orange and Blue

Medford Bronco
03-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Good point, but if we have a chance to bring in LT and use him 10-15 carries a game I think he would be a great addition. It's looks like we are going to the RB by commitee type approach again this year, sure would be a solid addition to the team to have a guy like LT making half of those carries. Not to mention signing LT just to ensure we don't have to play him twice a year too.

I would love to see LT for his ability to catch the ball.

Just think of how Kevin Faulk was used in NE. This guy would be a monster
for us as a complimentary back with 10-15 touches a game.

He sure looked good in week 17 vs us before getting re-injured.

Used wisely he would be a force

Dr Velcro
03-10-2009, 09:19 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=525693

I would love it if he was here. I don't think we could afford it. When I look at that list only 3 make sense.

No. No thank you. Rather not. I don't think so. Nuh uh. No way man.
I can respect your opinion. But no way man.

NorthernLights
03-10-2009, 09:24 AM
**** LT. I hope the Chargers keep him so he can rot away the rest of his career there while he piles up ZERO championships. I've always thought he was overrated.

Overrated?? Compared to whom? God?

In only 8 years, he is number 14 in rushing yards, number 2 in rushing TD's, is number 4 in total TD's, is number 11 in yards from scrimmage, holds the single season TD's and total scoring record and single season receptions for a RB record, is in the top 100 in total receptions, and has thrown 7 TD's as well. He has 5 pro-bowls, 3 All-pro titles and was league MVP.

I could go on, but I'm guessing you get my point.

Dr Velcro
03-10-2009, 09:27 AM

In only 8 years, he is number 14 in rushing yards, number 2 in rushing TD's, is number 4 in total TD's, is number 11 in yards from scrimmage, holds the single season TD's and total scoring record and single season receptions for a RB record, is in the top 100 in total receptions, and has thrown 7 TD's as well. He has 5 pro-bowls, 3 All-pro titles and was league MVP.

No means no. Maybe he's good in the AFC West, but overall...he's not all that.

NorthernLights
03-10-2009, 09:39 AM
No means no. Maybe he's good in the AFC West, but overall...he's not all that.

I think you are missing my point. I am not trying to convince you that the Broncos should pick him up if available, I was saying he should be considered one of the best RB's of all time and that he isn't "overrated".

Dr Velcro
03-10-2009, 09:53 AM
I think you are missing my point. I am not trying to convince you that the Broncos should pick him up if available, I was saying he should be considered one of the best RB's of all time and that he isn't "overrated".

I understand your enthusiasm for your RB....

I'd say that Emmit Smith, Barry Sanders & Walter Payton are tops.

Also, even if you were to say that LT is the best...I don't think it's safe to say that this early.

Looking at this from a fair perspective.

Hobe
03-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Nope. I do think he has more left in the tank then others seem too, but he is past his prime. Ol' Norv just dosen't seem to know how to use LT, which is odd because he had Smith at Dallas.

I don't think he will go to loser like Cleveland or 49ers. If he isn't going to be in SD then he will go for a winner, one with a chance at the Super Bowl. Colts or Cards are my guess.

NorthernLights
03-10-2009, 10:25 AM
I understand your enthusiasm for your RB....

I'd say that Emmit Smith, Barry Sanders & Walter Payton are tops.

Also, even if you were to say that LT is the best...I don't think it's safe to say that this early.

Looking at this from a fair perspective.

One of the best, not necessarily the best. There is no doubt he is on the down hill side of his career with injuries taking away from his effectiveness, no shock there. From everything I've read, he will stay with the Bolts, at a reduced salary with bonus and likely to be earned incentives added in.

I would love to see him retire as a Charger, but I know that might not happen, which is difficult but is part of the business.

Gawd, I hate the off season.

Dr Velcro
03-10-2009, 10:35 AM
One of the best, not necessarily the best. There is no doubt he is on the down hill side of his career with injuries taking away from his effectiveness, no shock there. From everything I've read, he will stay with the Bolts, at a reduced salary with bonus and likely to be earned incentives added in.

I would love to see him retire as a Charger, but I know that might not happen, which is difficult but is part of the business.

Gawd, I hate the off season.

I thought Harrison would chuck it up and stay for a cut....and retire as a Colt.

I feel your pain. Off season is a bitch.

broncofaninfla
03-10-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm not a Bolts fan by any means but LT IMO is in the top 10 for best RB's of all time

underrated29
03-10-2009, 11:02 AM
In my thread i made about this a while ago, i said something like HELL YES!

He is not past his prime, and still has tons left in the tank. The dude had turf toe, and everythingelse this year. How many years has LT had an injury, andthen another injury back to back, or at all..... NOt many.

He is still lightning fast, still strong through the tackles, and like Med said, can still catch the ball like no other...

In the new offense we plan to run LT would break the 2k barrier and possibly even 3k all purpose yards. LT is not done. He had a crappy team, and a crappy OLINE in front of him last year. Plus his injuries. He should be healthy and ready to roll again.

I love all this downer talk of him though, it makes him that much more likely to slide in my FF draft next year.

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-10-2009, 11:15 AM
in 8 seasons the guy has missed one game.

LawDog
03-10-2009, 12:48 PM

Technically 2 games. He was not active for the last game of the '04 regular season against KC.

Just saying.

Dr Velcro
03-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Also Jim Brown.

JKcatch724
03-10-2009, 02:55 PM

And yet has been mysteriously absent in the playoffs.

JKcatch724
03-10-2009, 03:01 PM

Yes. Compared to God. :rolleyes:

I'm just saying he's nowhere near the best ever IMO. Honest question, but how many of his TD's have been inside like the 3 yardline? His stats have been fluffed like a pillow at the Ritz, especially since he was the only threat on the offense for a while.

Anyway, you guys can keep him. He's sloppy seconds at this point

bullis26
03-10-2009, 05:18 PM
id gladly take him he's way better than anybody we have he rushed for 1000+ last year on what 3.9 or 3.8 YPC? Willis Mcgahee doesnt average 4 YPC and people think he's alright. The thing about LT is he's only a year removed from yet another NFL rushing title

BroncoWave
03-10-2009, 05:22 PM
id gladly take him he's way better than anybody we have he rushed for 1000+ last year on what 3.9 or 3.8 YPC? Willis Mcgahee doesnt average 4 YPC and people think he's alright. The thing about LT is he's only a year removed from yet another NFL rushing title

No one is arguing the fact that he's better than what we have right now. The point is that it's not worth the money to pay a huge contract that he will probably demand when we're not sure how much gas he has left in the tank and when our defense is the side in need of spending money on since our offense is already pretty damn good as it is.

DenBronx
03-10-2009, 05:22 PM
i wouldnt mid LT and must say he'd be the back we have had since portis. i just dont see us going after him though when we already picked up 3 free agent rb's and have 3 still on our roster. we would have to cut buckhalter or jordan i think.

how much is LT going to cost? im sure the chargers would put a release clause saying dont go to the afc west if we cut you.

BroncoWave
03-10-2009, 05:24 PM
i wouldnt mid LT and must say he'd be the back we have had since portis. i just dont see us going after him though when we already picked up 3 free agent rb's and have 3 still on our roster. we would have to cut buckhalter or jordan i think.

how much is LT going to cost? im sure the chargers would put a release clause saying dont go to the afc west if we cut you.

Is it legal for them to do that? I can't imagine that it is.

DenBronx
03-10-2009, 05:26 PM

not sure but i read somewhere yesterday that they did it to moss when he was in oakland. saying he couldnt go to denver if they released him. they ended up trading him though.

UnderArmour
03-10-2009, 05:28 PM

It's one of those things teams can tell players but there is no binding agreement on those. The Raiders told Lamont Jordan two years ago not to sign with the Patriots or the Broncos and look how that turned out.

BroncoWave
03-10-2009, 05:29 PM
not sure but i read somewhere yesterday that they did it to moss when he was in oakland. saying he couldnt go to denver if they released him. they ended up trading him though.

I'm just not sure how the team that could enforce that. If I were LT I'd be like sure thing boss, I won't go to the AFCW, then after they cut me, I don't see what they could to stop me from signing with Denver.

bullis26
03-10-2009, 05:29 PM

I'm sure they could make him sign a contract saying that he couldnt go there, in order to get released

BroncoWave
03-10-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm sure they could make him sign a contract saying that he couldnt go there, in order to get released

But once he's cut, he'd have no obligation to any contract he signed with SD. I just don't see that being something teams have the power to do.

bullis26
03-10-2009, 05:33 PM
But once he's cut, he'd have no obligation to any contract he signed with SD. I just don't see that being something teams have the power to do.

couldnt SD take him to court about it though? Like if they have a signed document with his signature saying in order to be relseased i will not sign with an afc team. Couldnt they sue him for that if he did sign with an AFC team?

BroncoWave
03-10-2009, 05:36 PM
couldnt SD take him to court about it though? Like if they have a signed document with his signature saying in order to be relseased i will not sign with an afc team. Couldnt they sue him for that if he did sign with an AFC team?

Not if it's an invalid contract in the first place. If it's not within NFL rules to make a contract like that, I don't think it would have any standing in court. Just depends on what the rule is.

bullis26
03-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Not if it's an invalid contract in the first place. If it's not within NFL rules to make a contract like that, I don't think it would have any standing in court. Just depends on what the rule is.

alright i doubt LT plays anywhere but San Diego this year anyways, but if he does i bet he lands up in New Orleans

BroncoWave
03-10-2009, 05:41 PM
alright i doubt LT plays anywhere but San Diego this year anyways, but if he does i bet he lands up in New Orleans

I really hope he does come to New Orleans. It would be fun to watch him play in person a couple of times next season.

bullis26
03-10-2009, 05:42 PM
i think that'd really help reggie too, it'd make him a much bigger threat catching balls outta the backfield... but yes that offense would be really fun to watch

RFCUBoltz
03-10-2009, 09:53 PM
LT signs a new 3 year deal ,he will get the money he was supposed to get this year and the final 2 years will be incentive based so they can free money up for other signings.

Magnificent Seven
03-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Chargers make Tomlinson agreement official

March 10, 2009 11:01 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

The Chargers just made it official: LaDainian Tomlinson has agreed to a new contract that will keep him with San Diego through 2011.

"This is a good day for the Chargers and for Chargers fans," San Diego owner Dean Spanos said in a statement. "It was important to me to get this done so LT could continue his career here in San Diego where he means so much to our team, our fans and our community. The alternative was just unthinkable. He belongs in San Diego."

Added Tomlinson in a statement: "I love San Diego and being a part of this team with my teammates," said Tomlinson. "My number-one priority was to stay here in San Diego. I truly believe this is the place that gives me the best chance to be successful and win a championship. I want to finish the job we started when I got here eight years ago. My heart has always been in San Diego. I couldn't imagine putting on another uniform.
"I really appreciate the role Dean played throughout this process. He made it work for everyone, and I appreciate his friendship more than he knows."

Tomlinson will meet with local media Wednesday morning.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1745/Chargers-make-Tomlinson-agreement-official.html

NorthernLights
03-11-2009, 06:44 AM
:beer:

:elefant:

:beer:

Dr Velcro
03-11-2009, 08:54 AM
Congrats to the (friendly) Bolts fans.

NorthernLights
03-11-2009, 09:21 AM
Congrats to the (friendly) Bolts fans.

Thank you. I was putting on the "what's best for the team" face during this whole escapade, but in reality, I would have been uber pizzed if LT went anywhere else.

All is right with the world now (except for the painfully long off season).

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-11-2009, 12:44 PM
i really hate facing him twice a year.

pumpdoc
03-11-2009, 04:50 PM
i really hate facing him twice a year.

Hehe.:beer:

DenBronx
03-12-2009, 11:25 PM
L.T. EYEBALLED SAINTS, RAVENS, BRONCOS
Posted by Mike Florio on March 12, 2009, 8:32 p.m. EDT
Although the Chargers and running back LaDainian Tomlinson have worked out their differences, the contractual dispute between the two parties was sufficiently significant to prompt L.T. to ponder seriously his next NFL destination.

Tomlinson said on Thursday’s Dan Patrick Show that the 2006 NFL MVP considered the Saints, the Ravens, and the Broncos.

Most speculation centered on L.T. going to the Saints, where he would have been reunited with former San Diego quarterback Drew Brees. In Baltimore, L.T. would have again played for former Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron.

He also told Patrick that he’d be happy to share carries with Darren Sproles. Previously, it wasn’t clear whether L.T. would agree to a job-sharing arrangement.