PDA

View Full Version : Short stop with the strongest throwing arm?

lex
10-14-2007, 09:56 PM
OK, Im watching the Rockies game tonight and Tulowitzkis arm is impressive. So I was wondering who people consider to have the strongest throwing arm from SS.

Kapaibro
10-15-2007, 05:21 AM
Helton always says that he has a sore hand after a throw from Tulo.

The power he can put on a ball even when off balance, or in the air is scary!

sneakers
10-15-2007, 05:49 AM
I would have to say other....I am sure there are some converted pitchers to shortstops somewhere out there in the minors.

Kapaibro
10-15-2007, 06:23 AM
I would have to say other....I am sure there are some converted pitchers to shortstops somewhere out there in the minors.

Tulo used to pitch too.

broncosfanscott
10-15-2007, 11:57 PM
Tulo is impressive and he made a nice play early in the game and nearly got the guy out. I mean that was on heck of a throw in mid-air.

BroncoAV06
10-16-2007, 02:10 PM

Just because you can pitch does not mean you could launch it from the SS position. Tulo has a cannon but he also has the ability to throw from all angles and has great range. Its hard to say a rookie is already one of the top SS in the game but he is. He looks up to DJ, Cal, the greats and this kid plays hard all the time.

Snapping Turtle
10-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Troy obviously. He makes some of the sweetest plays in the field, he is able to launch the ball to Todd and make the most impressive plays.

OB
10-16-2007, 02:55 PM
DJ :coffee:

And the best looking to boot :D

Is there even a question ;)

And yes that answer is overflowing with homerism :D

Snapping Turtle
10-16-2007, 03:03 PM
DJ :coffee:

And the best looking to boot :D

Is there even a question ;)

And yes that answer is overflowing with homerism :D

Troy kicks Jeter's butt in the strong arm category AND the looks category. Of course "DJ" is Troy's hero. He wore Driven along with a few other Rockies during the series against you guys this season...Troy is quoted as saying that "it isnt the best smelling, but its OK"

I think once Jeter and Tulo are both retired and they are compared Troy will have been the better player.

Of course Jeter is amazing...SS is my favorite position on the diamond, so I really respect him.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-16-2007, 03:03 PM
To me, it is Troy - I have never seen a SS who can throw/play as Elway did - fielding the ball on one side of the field, and firing the ball to 1st base sometimes while still in the air turning his body, with such great accuracy.

OB
10-16-2007, 03:14 PM
Troy kicks Jeter's butt in the strong arm category AND the looks category. Of course "DJ" is Troy's hero. He wore Driven along with a few other Rockies during the series against you guys this season...Troy is quoted as saying that "it isnt the best smelling, but its OK"

I think once Jeter and Tulo are both retired and they are compared Troy will have been the better player.

Of course Jeter is amazing...SS is my favorite position on the diamond, so I really respect him.

DJ has four rings, a WS MVP, three gold gloves and all-star mvp - - thats going to be hard to compete with - troy has just started anything can happen - what Derek has done is already set in stone - you cant take it away - and you dont need a crystal ball to try and forsee that he is gonna be great - he already is - ;)

And this http://www.longbeachstate.com/PIX/PIXBBC/mlb-mugs/tulowitzki-rockies.gif
Better looking than this http://www.celebamour.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/derek_jeter11.jpg

Even if I wasnt a Yankees fan I would have to disagree with you on the looks thing ;)

Snapping Turtle
10-16-2007, 03:54 PM
DJ has four rings, a WS MVP, three gold gloves and all-star mvp - - thats going to be hard to compete with - troy has just started anything can happen - what Derek has done is already set in stone - you cant take it away - and you dont need a crystal ball to try and forsee that he is gonna be great - he already is - ;)

And this http://www.longbeachstate.com/PIX/PIXBBC/mlb-mugs/tulowitzki-rockies.gif
Better looking than this http://www.celebamour.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/derek_jeter11.jpg

Even if I wasnt a Yankees fan I would have to disagree with you on the looks thing

Troy is a ROOKIE and is already better than most SS in the league. 24 HRs, 99 RBIS for a rookie SS is amazing. Jeet is the SS of the present, Tulo is the SS of the future. 23 years old and he already has the veterans on the Rockies calling him captain.

He's my boy, wont stop arguing his case until I die. :P

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/lijicons101/capt-15.jpg

There's no denying that he is sexy as hell neither.

In-com-plete
10-16-2007, 03:57 PM
:laugh:

Tulowitzki has a strong arm, but come on people. Furcal has the strongest arm of all shorstops in baseball.

Hands down! It's not even close.

Snapping Turtle
10-16-2007, 03:58 PM
By the way I forgot to ad. They put the radar gun on Tulo throwing to Todd earlier this season. Clocked in at 99 mph.

Cant get much stronger than that.

Kapaibro
10-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Jeter is sooooo not sexier than Troy.

He has dodgey sideburns, and crap fragrance.

Playing on a team that wins a WS does not make you the best.

Playing the best baseball, setting the best numbers, and being HUMBLE does that.

When it comes to humility and teamsmanship Tulo has Jeter beat hands down!

In-com-plete
10-16-2007, 04:02 PM
By the way I forgot to ad. They put the radar gun on Tulo throwing to Todd earlier this season. Clocked in at 99 mph.

Cant get much stronger than that.

What? Where'd you see that?

Is it April 1st already?

Snapping Turtle
10-16-2007, 04:02 PM

Is it April 1st already?

I watch Colorado Rockies baseball every day. When Clint Hurdle says it in an interview I'm pretty sure its true.

In-com-plete
10-16-2007, 04:09 PM
I watch Colorado Rockies baseball every day. When Clint Hurdle says it in an interview I'm pretty sure its true.

Well...every time I'm forced to listen to opposing teams announcers, every time (and I mean every time) Furcal makes a throw from the hole they comment on how strong his arm is. Saying he has one of, if not the, strongest arms they've ever seen on a SS.

The only exception is the Rockies announcers. Who, of course, say Tulo's is stronger.

Why is that?

Kapaibro
10-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Actually Tulo's arm has regularly being clocked over 90MPH

I hope this article makes you reconsider your snide remarks about Snapp's honesty

Tulo article! (http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_5982547)

That Troy Tulowitzki has emerged as a rookie-of-the-year candidate is due to his blossoming offense. He has three game-winning RBIs, and eight of the 20 runs he's plated have either tied the game or put the Rockies ahead. But perhaps more impressive has been his arm. A rival executive ranked Tulowitzki's arm second in the National League behind the Mets' Jose Reyes.

Though Neifi Perez won a Gold Glove with the Rockies, he didn't fire the ball across the diamond as hard as Tulowitzki, whose throws have been clocked at more than 90 mph in the past.

In-com-plete
10-16-2007, 04:58 PM

I hope this article makes you reconsider your snide remarks about Snapp's honesty

I'm not making snide remarks about her honesty. I believe she heard Clint Hurdle say that. But I don't believe Tulo has been clocked at 99. And I especially don't believe he hit 99 after reading that article. Otherwise they would have said "High 90's" and not "More than 90".

I do believe he's been clocked over 90. More than a few guys I played against in high school threw 90+. And when they weren't pitching they played SS. Kane Davis was one of them. I bet some of you Rockies fans might remember him. He was clocked at 93 the very game I played against him. He was also a SS.

And that article calling out Jose Reyes is hilarious. He isn't even in Furcal's ballpark. That's like comparing Bradys arm strength to Elways.

Now, I'm just saying that maybe outside the world of the Colorado Rockies, there's a stronger arm. And by "the world of the Colorado Rockies" I mean their fans, manager, announcers, and players.

IMO there's no contest.

Kapaibro
10-16-2007, 05:46 PM

Is it April 1st already?

That's pretty snide

bengaaaaals1688
10-16-2007, 06:29 PM

Playing the best baseball, setting the best numbers, and being HUMBLE does that.

I hate Derek Jeter, but to say that Jeter isn't humble and isn't a team player just isn't true. He isn't the captain of the Yankees because he is obnoxious and arrogant, he is the captain because he is a leader and is never obnoxious or arrogant.

Medford Bronco
10-17-2007, 08:26 AM

And this Even if I wasnt a Yankees fan I would have to disagree with you on the looks thing

DJ is one of the best of all time, case closed :salute:

as for stronger arm, where is Rick Burleson :laugh:

sorry I will say Furcal as a Dodger fan and not a popular opinon here :ahhhhh:

Kapaibro
10-17-2007, 08:29 AM
I hate Derek Jeter, but to say that Jeter isn't humble and isn't a team player just isn't true. He isn't the captain of the Yankees because he is obnoxious and arrogant, he is the captain because he is a leader and is never obnoxious or arrogant.

I didn't say Jeter wasn't humble, but that Tulo shows far more humilty.

Show me where I said he was obnoxious and arrogant. You can't because I didn't say that.

broncosfanscott
10-17-2007, 12:48 PM

Now that's quite an arm from a shortstop. Pretty impressive considering that is quite a distant from SS to 1B.

OB
10-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Troy is a ROOKIE and is already better than most SS in the league. 24 HRs, 99 RBIS for a rookie SS is amazing. Jeet is the SS of the present, Tulo is the SS of the future. 23 years old and he already has the veterans on the Rockies calling him captain.

He's my boy, wont stop arguing his case until I die. :P

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/lijicons101/capt-15.jpg

There's no denying that he is sexy as hell neither.

Yeah and TD COULD have been the greatest RB in football - for a few years all Broncos fans, including me, were screaming HOF HOF - but look- Im not wishing any ill will on Tulo, but like I said what DJ has done is IN the record books - even if he never played another game - - for all we know Tulo could be having the best year of his career right now - you CAN NOT predict the future- a ton of rookies have their best year as a rookie and dont do crapola after - DJ has ALREADY proven himself as one of the best SS in the league today - there is no disputing that ;) but I still love ya

PS - if it wasnt for the gayrod jinx DJ would have at least one more Al MVP and WS ring - LOL

OB
10-17-2007, 02:39 PM

Kappy you and i dont disagree often but come on

A. What the hell does freaking perfume have to do with anything

B. We all know Derk is a humble person - one of my many reasons for disliking ARod

C. Everyone has their preference in looks - Tulo looks like a goober IMO - if the two were just regular dudes walking down the street both working at the same company making the same money - DJ would get more babes - plain n simple

D. TEAMSMANSHIP - are you kidding me - DJ came up through the Yankees farm system and is still a Yankee to this day - not to many players in baseball can say that after the years DJ has put in - How can you possibly say a ROOKIE has a veteran beat in teamansship - unless we are talking about the Arods and TO's of the league - DJ is in now way shape or form in the same category as them as far as that goes - Tulo is still a rookie - give him a few years for him to actually make money and see if it goes to his head - any rookie is going to be YAY TEAM - they have to be

E. DJ played the best baseball had the best numbers and has the rings and awards to prove it - does Tulo? Nuff said

OB
10-17-2007, 02:45 PM
I'm not making snide remarks about her honesty. I believe she heard Clint Hurdle say that. But I don't believe Tulo has been clocked at 99. And I especially don't believe he hit 99 after reading that article. Otherwise they would have said "High 90's" and not "More than 90".

I do believe he's been clocked over 90. More than a few guys I played against in high school threw 90+. And when they weren't pitching they played SS. Kane Davis was one of them. I bet some of you Rockies fans might remember him. He was clocked at 93 the very game I played against him. He was also a SS.

And that article calling out Jose Reyes is hilarious. He isn't even in Furcal's ballpark. That's like comparing Bradys arm strength to Elways.

Now, I'm just saying that maybe outside the world of the Colorado Rockies, there's a stronger arm. And by "the world of the Colorado Rockies" I mean their fans, manager, announcers, and players.

IMO there's no contest.
:beer:
Clocking a player in a game and during batting practice or just plain throwing the ball are all totally different - ACCURACY has a lot to do with it too -not saying Tulo isnt but it is HUGE factor

You cant compare a rookie with a vet - plain and simple

If this conversation were about Elway vs. the leads leading rookie QB right now, you know all you guys would be on Johns side

OB
10-17-2007, 02:48 PM

Show me where I said he was obnoxious and arrogant. You can't because I didn't say that.

As of right now an unproven rookie - regardless of stats - should always be more humble than a veteran ALL STAR - WS MVP :rolleyes:

And please tell me how you compre the twos humilty - one is a rookie who shouldnt have much to say to begin with - the other is a vet all star and still doesnt say much - hmm :confused:

Medford Bronco
10-17-2007, 02:52 PM
Kappy you and i dont disagree often but come on

A. What the hell does freaking perfume have to do with anything

B. We all know Derk is a humble person - one of my many reasons for disliking ARod

C. Everyone has their preference in looks - Tulo looks like a goober IMO - if the two were just regular dudes walking down the street both working at the same company making the same money - DJ would get more babes - plain n simple

D. TEAMSMANSHIP - are you kidding me - DJ came up through the Yankees farm system and is still a Yankee to this day - not to many players in baseball can say that after the years DJ has put in - How can you possibly say a ROOKIE has a veteran beat in teamansship - unless we are talking about the Arods and TO's of the league - DJ is in now way shape or form in the same category as them as far as that goes - Tulo is still a rookie - give him a few years for him to actually make money and see if it goes to his head - any rookie is going to be YAY TEAM - they have to be

E. DJ played the best baseball had the best numbers and has the rings and awards to prove it - does Tulo? Nuff said

Even Red Sox fans like Derek Jeter,

the epitome of class :salute:

Medford Bronco
10-17-2007, 03:28 PM
As of right now an unproven rookie - regardless of stats - should always be more humble than a veteran ALL STAR - WS MVP :rolleyes:

And please tell me how you compre the twos humilty - one is a rookie who shouldnt have much to say to begin with - the other is a vet all star and still doesnt say much - hmm :confused:

Also if you talk about rookies.

Nomar was better than both of them as a rookie, how did it work out for him?

I still like Nomar but injures can kill anyone

just ask him

Nomars Rookie Stats in 1997

30 HR 98 Rbi 306 AVG and 22 SB

and he had a gun as well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5706/career;_ylt=ApzbisUjmyeJ9WdCalkjg0OFCLcF

He still has a lifetime AVG of 315 as well.

Kapaibro
10-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Actually Med, Nomar thinks Troy is the best Rookie Shortstop he has ever seen.

Medford Bronco
10-17-2007, 03:45 PM
Actually Med, Nomar thinks Troy is the best Rookie Shortstop he has ever seen.

That is good he said that, coming from a great player himself:beer:

I will be honest and say I dont know too much about Tulo. He looks great in the few games I have seen. Good luck to him and may he stay healthy, something that Nomar could not do unfortunatley

I can just imagine Nomar in his prime or Ortiz playing 41 games at Coors. That could help the numbers a bit

Heck even Dante Bichette hit 41 dingers one year in Colorado.

this Rockies team has pitching now and that is what they have never had in their history.

Pedro Astacio is the only good pitcher (from the dark years thru 98-03) they have had until the last few years or so.

OB
10-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Apparantly Ive said too much/enough- ya'all come back to me in 10 years and then we will see :coffee:

Medford Bronco
10-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Apparantly Ive said too much/enough- ya'all come back to me in 10 years and then we will see :coffee:

Hey I said I liked DJ :sad:

:lol:

In-com-plete
10-17-2007, 04:23 PM
:beer:
Clocking a player in a game and during batting practice or just plain throwing the ball are all totally different - ACCURACY has a lot to do with it too -not saying Tulo isnt but it is HUGE factor

You cant compare a rookie with a vet - plain and simple

If this conversation were about Elway vs. the leads leading rookie QB right now, you know all you guys would be on Johns side

Watch Furcal sometime. Practically every time he throws to first he's showing off his arm strength.

When you're comparing stats (which is the direction this thread is heading), I agree that you can't fully compare a rookie to a veteran (even though that arguement wouldn't hold up in the Jake/Jay wars :laugh: ). But when you're comparing arm strength....you can.

In-com-plete
10-17-2007, 04:26 PM
That's pretty snide

I'm sorry you took offense to that. It wasn't meant to be snide or anything.

Snapping Turtle
10-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Yeah and TD COULD have been the greatest RB in football - for a few years all Broncos fans, including me, were screaming HOF HOF - but look- Im not wishing any ill will on Tulo, but like I said what DJ has done is IN the record books - even if he never played another game - - for all we know Tulo could be having the best year of his career right now - you CAN NOT predict the future- a ton of rookies have their best year as a rookie and dont do crapola after - DJ has ALREADY proven himself as one of the best SS in the league today - there is no disputing that ;) but I still love ya

PS - if it wasnt for the gayrod jinx DJ would have at least one more Al MVP and WS ring - LOL

I could argue this till I turned blue but I'm not going to go there. The debate was over who has the strongest throwing arm, I think that there is proof that Tulo has one of them is not the strongest. Just my opinion.

PS -- Jeet's a bit too "pretty" for me, I like my men manly. ;)

bengaaaaals1688
10-17-2007, 04:54 PM

Maybe I worded it wrong, but my whole point was that Jeter is extremely humble... considering where he plays, and how well he plays, he is probably the most humble player in the league. In NY being the level he is at, there is an unbelievable amount of prssure, which he doesn't succumb to and he performs to the level expected of him almost every day. He shows a level of teamsmanship and humility that I think every baseball player young or old should follow in his footsteps with.

And I never said that you called him obnoxious and arrogant, but when someone says that a player isn't good with teamsmanship, it is usually an implication of a belief that he is obnoxious and arrogant because that is what makes a player a bad teammate.

Med... I am a Red Sox fan... and I hate Jeter... I just can't not respect the man for his talent and his sportsmanship.

Medford Bronco
10-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Med... I am a Red Sox fan... and I hate Jeter... I just can't not respect the man for his talent and his sportsmanship.

You must be feeling the same pain I am today :banghead:

stupd Francoma

yes I hijacked, sorry snapper :(

bengaaaaals1688
10-17-2007, 05:00 PM
You must be feeling the same pain I am today :banghead:

stupd Francoma

yes I hijacked, sorry snapper :(

Bah... we still have 3 more games.

Snapping Turtle
10-17-2007, 05:02 PM

I really hope that you dont win. I dont want to hate you. :tsk:

Kapaibro
10-17-2007, 05:06 PM
I really hope that you dont win. I dont want to hate you. :tsk:

At least you don't have to hate him for his football team!

Medford Bronco
10-17-2007, 05:08 PM

you must be a short time Red Sox fan then.

yes 04 happened but that to me was a once in a lifetime

You are too young to remember 1986 the colossal of all colossal
Red Sox folds of all time and 1978 was bad as well.

I love your postive vibes but if Beckett cant pitch all 3 games, (tongue and cheek of course) we as Sox fans are in big big trouble :ahhhhh:

Kapaibro
10-17-2007, 05:10 PM

I love your postive vibes but if Beckett cant pitch all 3 games, (tongue and cheek of course) we as Sox fans are in big big trouble :ahhhhh:

Bring on Beckett. Most runs he ever gave up this year was to the Rox, at Fenway!

Medford Bronco
10-17-2007, 05:11 PM
Bring on Beckett. Most runs he ever gave up this year was to the Rox, at Fenway!

wow you are very cocky Kap

dont be suprised if Cleveland wins that the Rockies acutally lose.

They are the better team overall and have been on a roll and do have
home field advantage.

yes Med is gonna get flamed now :ahhhhh: :lol:

Kapaibro
10-17-2007, 05:18 PM
wow you are very cocky Kap

dont be suprised if Cleveland wins that the Rockies acutally lose.

They are the better team overall and have been on a roll and do have
home field advantage.

yes Med is gonna get flamed now :ahhhhh: :lol:

Hey, if pointing out that the Rockies are the team that has scored the most runs off Beckett is cocky, then yeah.

Oh yeah, that's an actual stat from MLB.com, and not just an opinion.

If the Rockies' opponent is Boston, they will be playing a team from which they took two of three in a series at Fenway Park, June 12-14.

In that series, the Rockies beat Red Sox ace Josh Beckett, who had entered the game 9-0 with a 2.88 ERA before giving up a season-high six runs to Colorado.

The Rockies also beat veteran right-hander Curt Schilling, while losing the game started by Boston knuckleballer Tim Wakefield. Jeff Francis beat Beckett, 7-1, Josh Fogg outpitched Schilling in a 12-2 Rockies win and Wakefield bested Aaron Cook, 2-1, in the opening game of the series.

The Rockies outscored Boston, 20-5, while batting .278 with three homers. The Colorado staff posted an ERA of 1.73 in the series, while the offense batted .278 (30-for-108) with a dozen extra-base hits.

Several Rockies fared well at Fenway, as Atkins hit .333 with a homer and five RBIs, NLCS MVP Matt Holliday hit .385 (5-for-13) and second baseman Kaz Matsui hit .357 (5-for-14). Tulowitzki batted .333 (3-for-9) and catcher Yorvit Torrealba hit .455 (5-for-11).

Philly was better and had home-field. AZ was better, and had home-field.

How'd they fare against the Rox?

Medford Bronco
10-17-2007, 05:34 PM
Hey, if pointing out that the Rockies are the team that has scored the most runs off Beckett is cocky, then yeah.

Oh yeah, that's an actual stat from MLB.com, and not just an opinion.

Philly was better and had home-field. AZ was better, and had home-field.

How'd they fare against the Rox?

Beckett is pitching much better than then now. If we want to talk about streaks and the Rox are on an incredible one that is gonna end sometime.
The are not going to go 12-0 in the playoffs, Sorry the AL is a much better league but we all know the better teams (on paper, not necessarily with heart etc) do not always win.

Philly is not that great and the D Backs cant hit to save their lives.
The Roxs are very good on both sides but the Indians (I assume) will be a much much stiffer competion.

I like Boston/LA Dodgers but otherwise do not care who wins between the indians and rox.

bengaaaaals1688
10-17-2007, 05:50 PM

Not short time... just hopeful lol.

And Kap... if 6 runs is the most runs let up by a pitcher with an offense like we have... usually we will be set. Not to mention the fact that for a starter to have a season high being 6 runs in a start, is extremely good.

OB
10-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Hey I just found out last night that Tulo and about 10 other Rockies came up from the Tulsa Drillers - my firend saw him play last year in Tulsa

DJ is still hotter ;)

Requiem / The Dagda
10-26-2007, 03:34 PM
None of these turds.

BroncoWave
10-27-2007, 09:14 AM
Julio Lugo :coffee:

;)

bengaaaaals1688
10-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Julio Lugo :coffee:

;)

I hate that man.:tsk:

In-com-plete
10-27-2007, 07:52 PM
I was positive Furcal has the stronger arm. After seeing Tulo "showcase" that arm on that 2nd infield hit by Pedroia....I'm still positive Furcal has the stronger arm.

In-com-plete
10-27-2007, 08:01 PM
I hate that man.:tsk:

Lugo's a bum. When the Dodgers traded for him last year I was furious. He hit .220 and was completely useless.

Boston brings him in, their fans are pumped, and he's been their worst SS since before Nomar.

Like I said.....he's a bum.

Medford Bronco
10-27-2007, 09:08 PM
Lugo's a bum. When the Dodgers traded for him last year I was furious. He hit .220 and was completely useless.

Boston brings him in, their fans are pumped, and he's been their worst SS since before Nomar.

:dito:

Lugo sucks he is a bum.
But the Sox are en fuego now:salute:

bengaaaaals1688
10-27-2007, 11:43 PM

I was never happy about getting him... I'm still pissed that we ever let go of Orlando Cabrera.:tsk:

Medford Bronco
10-28-2007, 12:32 AM
I was never happy about getting him... I'm still pissed that we ever let go of Orlando Cabrera.:tsk:

All I have to say bengals4541561651

One win away even with Lugo

and now can we stop saying the NL is as good as the
AL, not even close folks,

not being cocky, just honest.

bengaaaaals1688
10-28-2007, 01:07 AM
All I have to say bengals4541561651

One win away even with Lugo

and now can we stop saying the NL is as good as the
AL, not even close folks,

not being cocky, just honest.