PDA

View Full Version : Taking Stock

Denver Native (Carol)
03-09-2009, 03:27 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mrice/2009/03/09/taking-stock/

The initial flurry of free agent activity has subsided and the Broncos were as active as any team in the NFL. Their list of acquisitions looks like an oversized draft class. They signed players at a variety of positions, which is good because the Broncos have a variety of needs.

Here are some thoughts about the Broncos’ moves in free agency. Keep in mind that I am an optimist and look for the bright side of things.

RUNNING BACK

I like what the Broncos did here. They brought in experienced NFL players Correll Buckhalter, J.J. Arrington and LaMont Jordan. Add them to a group of young backs including Peyton Hillis, Ryan Torain, Selvin Young and Andre Hall and the Broncos will have plenty of options once training camp starts.

They simply had to bring in some guys who have produced in the NFL. They accomplished that. When Coach McDaniels was in New England, the Patriots used several running backs instead of one workhorse back. I can see the Broncos using the same philosophy at running back in 2009. If they do, they’ll have some good candidates from which to choose.

I think Buckhalter, Arrington and Jordan can and will be productive, assuming all are on the team in September when the regular season opens.

And let’s not forget that Hillis showed he is an NFL-caliber player in 2008 and Torain showed flashes of good play in his short time on the field before injuring his knee.

DEFENSIVE BACK

There is no doubt that the Broncos upgraded at the safety position. If all goes according to plan, they signed their two starters in Brian Dawkins and Renaldo Hill. At 35 years old, Dawkins isn’t the same player he was five to eight years ago. But I think there’s enough left in his tank for him to help this team.

And from everything I hear, Dawkins will be a terrific addition to the locker room. The Broncos’ defense has lacked a passionate leader since Al Wilson played here. Dawkins could very well be the type of leader the Broncos’ D so desperately needs.

I can’t say I know a lot about Renaldo Hill but I have to believe he will be, at the very least, pretty good. He started 38 of 39 games for the Dolphins the last three years and has started virtually every game the last six seasons.

I also like the signing of cornerback Andre Goodman, another starter for the Dolphins a year ago. As we discussed in an earlier blog, the Broncos had to sign a starting cornerback to play opposite Champ Bailey. They did that and they seemed to have landed a good one. Of course, time will tell.

WIDE RECEIVER

With the NFL still looking into Brandon Marshall’s situation, the signing of Jabar Gaffney could prove to be a really good move. Gaffney hasn’t put up huge numbers in his career and isn’t an elite, number one receiver, or at least hasn’t shown that type of ability to this point in his career.

Gaffney, however, has been pretty reliable. Given an opportunity to play a bigger role, he might be a surprise, especially with a quarterback like Jay Cutler delivering the ball.

If Marshall misses some games, we can’t expect Gaffney alone to replace Brandon. But he would certainly be a good option to have.

LINEBACKER

I really like the signing of Andra Davis. He also fits the mold of a player you might not immediately think of when recalling the players at his position. But he has been a really good player for the Browns, who haven’t exactly been that good over the years.

Let’s not lump the signing of Davis into the “Browncos” experiment from a few years ago. The Broncos picked up a tough and talented player. They also added some depth at the linebacker position and they’ll need that as they switch to the 3-4 defense, or at least play more of that scheme.

QUARTERBACK

The Broncos did themselves a favor by adding Chris Simms to the roster. Here’s a guy who led the Buccaneers to the playoffs just a few years ago and then suffered that horrific spleen injury. No doubt that set him back.

But I think Simms has good football left in him. Every team needs a quality back-up quarterback. I think Simms puts the Broncos in good shape at this spot.

No doubt the Broncos have work left to do. To me, however, they took some good first steps in free agency. They added talent and experience at several positions.

Are the Broncos a playoff team with the recent additions? I don’t know. But I do think they are a better team with the players they added. It will be fun to see what other moves they might make leading up to the draft. And then it will be most interesting to see whom they draft in late April.

There’s one other topic I’d like to briefly discuss before ending this blog, and that’s the Jay Cutler trade talks.

It is the type of story that elicits immediate and passionate reaction. I understand why that is so. I appreciate those of you took the time to post comments on the situation but I must also admit I was disappointed at the name-calling and inappropriate remarks that cropped up. It wasn’t widespread, but it was there.

A few of you asked my thoughts about the trade talks and what transpired once the talks became public. I almost always take a wait-and-see approach before weighing in on things like this because the initial information rarely represents the whole picture.

Coach McDaniels and Jay are scheduled to meet soon. In the near future, I’ll offer some thoughts about the situation.

Feel free to weigh in on what you think about the Broncos’ free agent signings. I appreciate your reading and posting your thoughts.

Sincerely,
Mike

TXBRONC
03-09-2009, 03:54 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mrice/2009/03/09/taking-stock/

Coach McDaniels and Jay are scheduled to meet soon. In the near future, I’ll offer some thoughts about the situation.

I take that this blog was published today.

I highlight this because the rumor that has been bandied about is connected to KOA and Adam Schefter. Here's a KOA employee and he all he says is that the meeting is scheduled for sometime in the near future.

Lonestar
03-09-2009, 07:01 PM
The only thing the caught my eye in there about the Broncos was the "Hillis Knee" injury..

Other than that I thought for the most part spot on.

bullis26
03-09-2009, 07:22 PM
i liked most of they're signings; Paxton, Buckhalter and Jordan are the only ones i dont like. Paxton overpaid, but good special teams player, buckhalter injured way too much(he's 30), Lamont Jordan is old now too, had a couple good years but mainly a career backup....i really liked the brian dawkins, andra davis, jj arrington, and ronald fields signings though

Hobe
03-09-2009, 08:11 PM
My problem is that we have not addressed the biggest need on the team, defensive line! I've heard talk of making run at Pepper, but he cost a lot with the Franchise tag on him. I hope they are not planning to draft and start a butch of rookies.

bullis26
03-09-2009, 09:29 PM
My problem is that we have not addressed the biggest need on the team, defensive line! I've heard talk of making run at Pepper, but he cost a lot with the Franchise tag on him. I hope they are not planning to draft and start a butch of rookies.

how have we not? Fields, Reid, resigning peterson; Fields will be our NT, Thomas will be an end, and the others will battle for the other end.....and peppers would be a linebacker he's not near big enough

TXBRONC
03-09-2009, 09:33 PM
how have we not? Fields, Reid, resigning Thomas; Fields will be our NT, Thomas will be an end, and the others will battle for the other end.....and peppers would be a linebacker he's not near big enough

Thoimas is still under is rookie contract, we did however re-sign Peterson.

bullis26
03-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Thoimas is still under is rookie contract, we did however re-sign Peterson.

haha wrong name i meant peterson, but dont know what i was thinking, i think both peterson and thomas will start though at DE

rcsodak
03-09-2009, 11:29 PM
i liked most of they're signings; Paxton, Buckhalter and Jordan are the only ones i dont like. Paxton overpaid, but good special teams player, buckhalter injured way too much(he's 30), Lamont Jordan is old now too, had a couple good years but mainly a career backup....i really liked the brian dawkins, andra davis, jj arrington, and ronald fields signings though
How can you talk of "buckhalter injured way too much", and in the same breath say you really like jj arrington? At least bucky avg.s 4.+yds in his career, and 10yds in catches. JJ's not exactly pristine, nor has he exactly tore up the turf. Or is it the 3 attempts per game that has you so enamored? If he doesn't shine in ST's, what good is he?

What do you like about andra davis?

Season Team Tackles Interceptions Fumbles
G GS Total Solo Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FUM Lost
2008 Cleveland Browns 16 16 90 62 28 0.0 -- 3 1 4 4.0 4 0 -- --
2007 Cleveland Browns 16 10 67 51 16 0.0 -- 3 -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- --
2006 Cleveland Browns 14 14 104 79 25 1.0 -- 1 2 19 9.5 19 0 -- --
2005 Cleveland Browns 16 16 149 89 60 2.0 -- 3 1 14 14.0 14 0 -- --
2004 Cleveland Browns 11 11 71 53 18 0.5 -- 3 3 35 11.7 30 0 -- --
2003 Cleveland Browns 16 16 136 97 39 5.0 -- 6 -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- --
2002 Cleveland Browns 16 0 24 17 7 0.0 -- 0 1 0 0.0 0 0 -- --
TOTAL 641 448 193 8.5 0 19 8 72 -- 30 0 0 0

He's only started an entire season 3X out of 7. His tackles have gone down, and he looks to be rather inconsistant. And if you look at his splits, his tackles decrease as the game goes on. That tells me he lacks a motor.

I just don't see it.

slim
03-09-2009, 11:32 PM
JJ is a ST player...maybe a decent third down back, but if we are going to throw the ball to a back I would rather see it go to Hillis.

WARHORSE
03-10-2009, 01:25 AM
The only thing the caught my eye in there about the Broncos was the "Hillis Knee" injury..

I see EMB saluted you........but Im still looking for where you got this. Where does it say that?:confused:

Lonestar
03-10-2009, 02:24 AM
I see EMB saluted you........but Im still looking for where you got this. Where does it say that?:confused:

whoops..

And let’s not forget that Hillis showed he is an NFL-caliber player in 2008 and Torain showed flashes of good play in his short time on the field before injuring his knee.

I speed read because I have to go through so many posts.. Missed torain in that one..

Whoops

TXBRONC
03-10-2009, 07:16 AM
haha wrong name i meant peterson, but dont know what i was thinking, i think both peterson and thomas will start though at DE

I thought that is who you meant.

Dirk
03-10-2009, 07:46 AM

I'm sure you meant to say the Torain knee injury. :D

Dirk
03-10-2009, 07:49 AM
Again I say this. I think the biggest part of the defensive signings is Dawkins. The reason I say this is for the leadership quality! There has not been a defensive leader since Al Wilson left.

If there isn't a leader on that side of the ball, it seems our players "run amuck" (not sure of the spelling there). :confused:

Dawkins will bring an added experience and leadership quality that you almost can't put a price tag on. Great signing IMO. :salute:

broncofaninfla
03-10-2009, 07:50 AM
Good read, I don't agree with Andre Davis being a really good player for the Browns. He seemed to struggle with the Browns and I honetsly would be surprised if he ends up in a reserve role backing up Larsen and DJ. Regardless there will be some good competition for at least one of the ILB spots.

broncofaninfla
03-10-2009, 07:51 AM
Again I say this. I think the biggest part of the defensive signings is Dawkins. The reason I say this is for the leadership quality! There has not been a defensive leader since Al Wilson left.

If there isn't a leader on that side of the ball, it seems our players "run amuck" (not sure of the spelling there). :confused:

Dawkins will bring an added experience and leadership quality that you almost can't put a price tag on. Great signing IMO. :salute:

Hopefully he'll have the same impact that Lynch had on our team towards the end of his career.

Dirk
03-10-2009, 08:02 AM
Hopefully he'll have the same impact that Lynch had on our team towards the end of his career.

I agree! Our :defense: needs a leader!!

tomjonesrocks
03-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Have to say I don't really care for any of the signings but Dawkins. Stopgaps all IMO--the team is really going to have to hit a home run in the draft now.

Lonestar
03-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Have to say I don't really care for any of the signings but Dawkins. Stopgaps all IMO--the team is really going to have to hit a home run in the draft now.

Just a couple of solid players that will form the base for this defense for years to come like Clady, Harris , Marshall, Royale and Jay have been on O over a couple of years.

If we get 3 players that start over this coming year in this draft and 3 more solid backup that may become starters in the future 2-3 years form now I'll consider it a heck of a draft.. But you have to realize that we did not get where we are in two years also.. It took almost 10 years of really lousy dafting on D to wind up with the crap we had on defense last year..

bullis26
03-10-2009, 05:02 PM
How can you talk of "buckhalter injured way too much", and in the same breath say you really like jj arrington? At least bucky avg.s 4.+yds in his career, and 10yds in catches. JJ's not exactly pristine, nor has he exactly tore up the turf. Or is it the 3 attempts per game that has you so enamored? If he doesn't shine in ST's, what good is he?

What do you like about andra davis?

Season Team Tackles Interceptions Fumbles
G GS Total Solo Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FUM Lost
2008 Cleveland Browns 16 16 90 62 28 0.0 -- 3 1 4 4.0 4 0 -- --
2007 Cleveland Browns 16 10 67 51 16 0.0 -- 3 -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- --
2006 Cleveland Browns 14 14 104 79 25 1.0 -- 1 2 19 9.5 19 0 -- --
2005 Cleveland Browns 16 16 149 89 60 2.0 -- 3 1 14 14.0 14 0 -- --
2004 Cleveland Browns 11 11 71 53 18 0.5 -- 3 3 35 11.7 30 0 -- --
2003 Cleveland Browns 16 16 136 97 39 5.0 -- 6 -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- --
2002 Cleveland Browns 16 0 24 17 7 0.0 -- 0 1 0 0.0 0 0 -- --
TOTAL 641 448 193 8.5 0 19 8 72 -- 30 0 0 0

He's only started an entire season 3X out of 7. His tackles have gone down, and he looks to be rather inconsistant. And if you look at his splits, his tackles decrease as the game goes on. That tells me he lacks a motor.

I just don't see it.

because bucks been hurt a lot! and Andra was at one point considered a great LB in this league, and we didnt give him that much money so even if he doesnt start he will be a solid backup and ST player....as for arrington, he's rarely missed a game(i think its only one in his career but not 100% sure) and he's fumbled once in his career.... Arrington wont start but he's a great KR why do you think cardnals get such good field position he was they're primary KR, and he's got very good hands, and a great blocker with quite a bit of speed, he'll be solid as a 3rd down back

Requiem / The Dagda
03-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Andra Davis is a good signing for the money because he's a player who has experience playing inside in a 3-4 defensive scheme and he did it with relative success. He's not an "A" free agent, but he's in that value area where until we get a better player -- we'll have a proven, veteran player who fits the identity Nolan is looking for in his defense. It wasn't meant to be a balls-to-the-wall trump card of an acquisition. Put on your thinking caps people, we wouldn't have went after him if we felt comfortable with who we have there. Yep, I understand a lot of people here love Larsen -- but good grief. Larsen is not better than Andra Davis. Take a seat.