PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else see the Adrian Peterson go off vs Chicago?

lex
10-14-2007, 09:20 PM
Absolutely incredible. There was some poor tacking but Peterson was just unbelievable. He had 3 TDs one was 70+ yards, another was 67 yards and his last one was 35 yards. It was like a men among boys...except in this case "the man" was a rookie.

Poet
10-14-2007, 10:58 PM
Absolutely incredible. There was some poor tacking but Peterson was just unbelievable. He had 3 TDs one was 70+ yards, another was 67 yards and his last one was 35 yards. It was like a men among boys...except in this case "the man" was a rookie.

Barring injury, he could very well make the pro bowl.

omac
10-15-2007, 12:09 AM
That was a great, great individual performance by Peterson. Plus, when Childress was doing his best to limit Peterson and lose the game, it makes it even more amazing. :D Peterson has to do all that will less touches, that's why his YPC average is pretty high.

It's like Childress is too busy being a diplomat, trying to keep Chester Taylor happy. Peterson gives them the best chance to win, yet he limits his carries in order for Taylor to continue to be the #1 back. Ridiculous. At around the 4 minute mark, the Vikings players were celebrating way too early, and Childress was giving Taylor more playing time, when he should've been putting more pressure on the Bears, through Peterson. The team's mindset was all wrong; the offense wasn't trying hard to move the ball, while the defense was just waiting for time to expire to get their victory. They practically gave them those last 2 scores. Then who saves their butt again ... Adrian Peterson.

Some of the playcalling was just attrocious. Up with the lead, instead of going with the running plays that have been working and killing the clock, they go with some unneccesary pass plays; nice of them to stop the clock for the Bears. Then, some of his hand-off plays get too cute, don't fool any of the Bears, and they lose yardage. Just hand Peterson the ball and let him run.

Childress is probably a very good coach when it comes to preparing his team to play, but some of his game day decisions are pretty bad.

Everyone in Minesotta, the Vikings, the NFL, and all the fans know Peterson is the man. Even Chester Taylor must know Peterson is the man. Why is Childress forcing his way for Taylor to be the #1?

lex
10-15-2007, 10:39 AM
That was a great, great individual performance by Peterson. Plus, when Childress was doing his best to limit Peterson and lose the game, it makes it even more amazing. :D Peterson has to do all that will less touches, that's why his YPC average is pretty high.

It's like Childress is too busy being a diplomat, trying to keep Chester Taylor happy. Peterson gives them the best chance to win, yet he limits his carries in order for Taylor to continue to be the #1 back. Ridiculous. At around the 4 minute mark, the Vikings players were celebrating way too early, and Childress was giving Taylor more playing time, when he should've been putting more pressure on the Bears, through Peterson. The team's mindset was all wrong; the offense wasn't trying hard to move the ball, while the defense was just waiting for time to expire to get their victory. They practically gave them those last 2 scores. Then who saves their butt again ... Adrian Peterson.

Some of the playcalling was just attrocious. Up with the lead, instead of going with the running plays that have been working and killing the clock, they go with some unneccesary pass plays; nice of them to stop the clock for the Bears. Then, some of his hand-off plays get too cute, don't fool any of the Bears, and they lose yardage. Just hand Peterson the ball and let him run.

Childress is probably a very good coach when it comes to preparing his team to play, but some of his game day decisions are pretty bad.

Everyone in Minesotta, the Vikings, the NFL, and all the fans know Peterson is the man. Even Chester Taylor must know Peterson is the man. Why is Childress forcing his way for Taylor to be the #1?

Whether Chester Taylor starts or not, Adrian Peterson is the best running back in the NFL.

Medford Bronco
10-15-2007, 11:06 AM
Whether Chester Taylor starts or not, Adrian Peterson is the best running back in the NFL.

way too early to call him the best in the NFL.

on his way to a great season but lets not get ahead of ourselves.
Let him do it for 5-6 years like LT

I still think LT is the best and is looking much better now than earlier this year.

AZOmae
10-15-2007, 11:15 AM
I'm pleased as punch that I snatched him up in the 9th round of my Fantasy draft this year!!

underrated29
10-15-2007, 11:25 AM
yeah i sw him, the guy im going against in fantasy has him. I still one, but whoo that was close. This kid is sooo good. I really did enjoy watching him play. He reminds me of the good old days with td.

he isnt the best back yet, but he is close, and he is only a rook. He will probably be a number 1 stud in another year or two.

silkamilkamonico
10-15-2007, 11:47 AM

I would agree with that most definitely.

lex
10-15-2007, 12:51 PM
way too early to call him the best in the NFL.

on his way to a great season but lets not get ahead of ourselves.
Let him do it for 5-6 years like LT

I still think LT is the best and is looking much better now than earlier this year.

No its not too early. I havent seen a running back go off like that in about 10 years. I realize some RBs have had a lot of yards but when you see his runs, and how he outran everyone, its amazing. No other RB is capable of doing that.

Medford Bronco
10-15-2007, 12:56 PM
No its not too early. I havent seen a running back go off like that in about 10 years. I realize some RBs have had a lot of yards but when you see his runs, and how he outran everyone, its amazing. No other RB is capable of doing that.

LT is capable of doing that.

lex
10-15-2007, 01:07 PM
LT is capable of doing that.

Uh, no he's not. LT isnt fast enough to make those runs.

Medford Bronco
10-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Uh, no he's not. LT isnt fast enough to make those runs.

have you timed LT and Peterson at the combine or something

please spare us.

peterson is awesome but to compare him to the greatest of all time in 6 NFL games is asinine.

Eric Dickerson was just like him for a few years and then got injured etc

I am just saying let him prove it over a few years before crowning him

underrated29
10-15-2007, 01:41 PM
well

both have great power, maybe a little more twards AP,

both have great speed, for now its a draw until i see more

both have good moves, maybe more for LT

but AD isnt the best back yet guys.

besides those things above a COMPLETE back can also catch,block, and dare i say Throw.

Now i dont think we have seen enough of AD yet to see if he can consistantly catch the ball, block, or make a pass.

yes, Rb's do not pass, but if you have one who can, well, how does that not add to the package of being the best Rb?

i say we give him a little time first.

omac
10-15-2007, 02:36 PM

Best is pretty subjective, but no arguments here. Even though LT is a sure fire hall of famer, it is more than fair to compare Peterson to him based on performance, because until recently LT's been outplayed by maybe half the rb's in the league. Peterson's been consistent, despite Childress'es efforts at diplomacy and committeeing him and Taylor; even their depth chart still has Taylor as their #1, despite Peterson outplaying him. If Michael Turner got the same or even more amount of touches than LT, no way would we expect LT to keep up his regular production, but Peterson comes up big despite this situation.

Peterson's also shown versatility in that he can also catch and block. Passing for a runningback is way overated, and is a recipe for disaster if called into play too often.

Medford Bronco
10-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Best is pretty subjective, but no arguments here. Even though LT is a sure fire hall of famer, it is more than fair to compare Peterson to him based on performance, because until recently LT's been outplayed by maybe half the rb's in the league. Peterson's been consistent, despite Childress'es efforts at diplomacy and committeeing him and Taylor; even their depth chart still has Taylor as their #1, despite Peterson outplaying him. If Michael Turner got the same or even more amount of touches than LT, no way would we expect LT to keep up his regular production, but Peterson comes up big despite this situation.

Peterson's also shown versatility in that he can also catch and block. Passing for a runningback is way overated, and is a recipe for disaster if called into play too often.

omac my point was not that Peterson is not a great player.

I am just saying it is hard to say best of all time after 6 games, when LT has 6 outstanding seasons of both running and catching the ball out of the backfield

lex
10-15-2007, 03:31 PM
omac my point was not that Peterson is not a great player.

I am just saying it is hard to say best of all time after 6 games, when LT has 6 outstanding seasons of both running and catching the ball out of the backfield

Who said "best of all time"? And in spite of LT being in the league a while, Ive never seen him have a game where he has had multiple runs like that. As a matter of fact, I dont think LTs ever been fast enough to make those runs.

Medford Bronco
10-15-2007, 03:45 PM
Who said "best of all time"? And in spite of LT being in the league a while, Ive never seen him have a game where he has had multiple runs like that. As a matter of fact, I dont think LTs ever been fast enough to make those runs.

okay you said best in the NFL, I disagree
One great game and other very good games does not make someone the best.

but you can beleive what you what :salute:

underrated29
10-15-2007, 04:00 PM
ok guys dont let this game get carried away here. remember jamal lewis and BOTH of his 300 + gashings of the browns. He had two terrific games, and one great season. But by no means was he the best runningback. He had the best year, but he was not the most gifted.

I think med is right, lets let him play out a few more games or dare i say 1 season before we say he is the best. To me the best constitutes a player who can have repeated success, despite games here or there, despite easy and tough schedules, despite injuries or splitting time, or even playing on a bad team. (that can be a run oriented or a pass oriented).

the best to me proves he can hold up through all of that. Take a pounding, give a pounding, and do all that other sexy stuff we saw AD do yesterday. but to be the best it takes time.

lex
10-15-2007, 04:15 PM
ok guys dont let this game get carried away here. remember jamal lewis and BOTH of his 300 + gashings of the browns. He had two terrific games, and one great season. But by no means was he the best runningback. He had the best year, but he was not the most gifted.

I think med is right, lets let him play out a few more games or dare i say 1 season before we say he is the best. To me the best constitutes a player who can have repeated success, despite games here or there, despite easy and tough schedules, despite injuries or splitting time, or even playing on a bad team. (that can be a run oriented or a pass oriented).

the best to me proves he can hold up through all of that. Take a pounding, give a pounding, and do all that other sexy stuff we saw AD do yesterday. but to be the best it takes time.

Thats a fair point about durability. But Im mainly talking about ability at running the football. AD is the only guy in the league right now who is capable of doing what we saw sunday.

Medford Bronco
10-15-2007, 04:20 PM
Thats a fair point about durability. But Im mainly talking about ability at running the football. AD is the only guy in the league right now who is capable of doing what we saw sunday.

I still disagree, LT is capable and has had plenty of great games
but you can believe what you want :coffee:

lex
10-15-2007, 04:28 PM
I still disagree, LT is capable and has had plenty of great games
but you can believe what you want :coffee:

Did you even see the Minn-Chi game?

Medford Bronco
10-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Did you even see the Minn-Chi game?

Its one game.
yes he is awesome and LT is as well. LT is capable of doing that, sorry I am going to disagree with you.

did you see the game that Jamal Lewis rushed for 295 vs Cleveland in 03.

He had plenty of long runs as well and looked unstoppable for one game.

I am not taking anything away from Peterson, I am just saying that LT is the best in the NFL right now. Maybe after years of being great Peterson will be.

lex
10-15-2007, 04:35 PM
Its one game.
yes he is awesome and LT is as well. LT is capable of doing that, sorry I am going to disagree with you.

did you see the game that Jamal Lewis rushed for 295 vs Cleveland in 03.

He had plenty of long runs as well and looked unstoppable for one game.

I am not taking anything away from Peterson, I am just saying that LT is the best in the NFL right now. Maybe after years of being great Peterson will be.

So, did you see the game?

Medford Bronco
10-15-2007, 04:41 PM
So, did you see the game?

I saw the highlights.

but it does not matter what you type I am still gonna disagree

lex
10-15-2007, 04:44 PM
I saw the highlights.

See thats what has been obvious. Youre disagreeing because it was me who posted this because its carryover from the Niners discussion. You didnt even see the game but that didnt prevent you from going out on a limb to disagree with me.

Medford Bronco
10-15-2007, 04:53 PM
See thats what has been obvious. Youre disagreeing because it was me who posted this because its carryover from the Niners discussion. You didnt even see the game but that didnt prevent you from going out on a limb to disagree with me.

It does not matter if I SAW the game. I posted an opinon and mine is different than yours, such is life :whoo:

omac
10-15-2007, 10:48 PM
I saw the highlights.

I'd have to agree with lex, you'd have to see the game to really appreciate what he does. And that's despite some boneheaded playcalling and "cutesie" delays by their coach that didn't fool anybody. Some of those yards were because of the line, but a lot he created by himself. I think they'd actually win more if Childress just decided to build the offense around him, the way SD builds it's offense around LT.

Okay, so as not to use the term "best", to be clear, for the 5 games the Vikings have played, he has consistently outperformed LT and LJ, and his last performance was against a team that's known for it's defense. If he were on a better team, one that had a semblance of a passing threat, he could probably do even better.

underrated29
10-16-2007, 11:22 AM
I'd have to agree with lex, you'd have to see the game to really appreciate what he does. And that's despite some boneheaded playcalling and "cutesie" delays by their coach that didn't fool anybody. Some of those yards were because of the line, but a lot he created by himself. I think they'd actually win more if Childress just decided to build the offense around him, the way SD builds it's offense around LT.

Okay, so as not to use the term "best", to be clear, for the 5 games the Vikings have played, he has consistently outperformed LT and LJ, and his last performance was against a team that's known for it's defense. If he were on a better team, one that had a semblance of a passing threat, he could probably do even better.

id agree with all that, its also only fair to keep in mind that lt and lj and most of the other big names have been hurt or teams are struggling, but he certainly is outperforming all of them by a long shot imo. But as we see every year the back that outperforms one year usually gets outperformed the next.

ex. jamal lewis several years back, shaun alexander couple years ago and his record td, last years lt and his record tds. I am not saying AD will get out performed next year. I am just saying that while he is currently running the best out of all the backs, he is not yet the best out of all the backs.

But i think we can all agree weather he is now or is later. He almost certainly will be in a couple of years.

lex
10-16-2007, 12:24 PM
id agree with all that, its also only fair to keep in mind that lt and lj and most of the other big names have been hurt or teams are struggling, but he certainly is outperforming all of them by a long shot imo. But as we see every year the back that outperforms one year usually gets outperformed the next.

ex. jamal lewis several years back, shaun alexander couple years ago and his record td, last years lt and his record tds. I am not saying AD will get out performed next year. I am just saying that while he is currently running the best out of all the backs, he is not yet the best out of all the backs.

But i think we can all agree weather he is now or is later. He almost certainly will be in a couple of years.

The Vikings had won one game before Sunday and during the game, their QB only completed something like 9 passes. If youre going to introduce the "not getting any help/team is struggling" angle into the discussion, its fair to point out that AD has had it worse in that regard.

underrated29
10-16-2007, 12:39 PM
The Vikings had won one game before Sunday and during the game, their QB only completed something like 9 passes. If youre going to introduce the "not getting any help/team is struggling" angle into the discussion, its fair to point out that AD has had it worse in that regard.

true, their qb isnt good, and the passing game sucks for them right now. So they will not have so much success passsing. This couldhurt or help AD depending on which way you look at it. He does however run behind one of the best olines out there. But overall the vikes really just suck and he is there whole team.

I havent checked the schedule, but i hope we dont play them this year. Otherwise i smell a single game rushing record on the way. 600 yards or more!

lex
10-16-2007, 12:42 PM
true, their qb isnt good, and the passing game sucks for them right now. So they will not have so much success passsing. This couldhurt or help AD depending on which way you look at it. He does however run behind one of the best olines out there. But overall the vikes really just suck and he is there whole team.

I havent checked the schedule, but i hope we dont play them this year. Otherwise i smell a single game rushing record on the way. 600 yards or more!

LT also has one of the better lines. LJ is a different story with recent retirements.

underrated29
10-16-2007, 01:27 PM
i feel bad for all those who took him in the 1st. LJ i mean. his line sux. How bout them browns though, who woulda thought.

omac
10-17-2007, 12:37 AM

Yeah, AD is playing great, but it's still to be seen whether he can do that for a whole NFL season, or for a career in the NFL. The only thing stopping him really is his potential for injuries with the contact-heavy style he plays. And if the Vikings don't get their passing attack to be at least competent, he'll be stopped at the LOS when defenses consistently cheat against the run to try and stop him.

i feel bad for all those who took him in the 1st. LJ i mean. his line sux. How bout them browns though, who woulda thought.

I got AD as my top RB after reading an article by a Yahoo analyst. He was questioning the FF norm that he was also guilty of, of not putting too much value on a rookie, and said in hindsight that the Yahoo experts were wrong to put AD as low as they did on the draft ranking board. The article came out about pre-season, after he'd seen what AD can do in the NFL. He turned out to be right. :cheers:

Tned
10-17-2007, 07:01 AM

Best running back in the NFL? Uhhh, no. He 'might' be the back having the best season, but that does not make him the best back in the NFL. The NFL history is littered with one game or one-season wonders. If Peterson leads the league in rushing (or is among the top few) for a couple years, then it might be possible to start "best RB in the NFL" talk, but not after 5 games.

LT is the best back in the NFL.

lex
11-05-2007, 11:54 PM
I just thought Id bump this in light of what AD did this past weekend.