PDA

View Full Version : Hill Familiar to McDaniel

TXBRONC
03-09-2009, 09:43 AM
You might be thinking obviously they would be familar with each other because Hill played for division rival Miami but he's known him longer than that.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11867890

Hill familiar to Denver's new coach
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/09/2009 12:30:00 AM MDT

In his previous job as the offensive coordinator of the New England Patriots, new Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels had plenty of chances to study safety Renaldo Hill, who spent the last three seasons with Miami.

Turns out those two AFC East games last year doubled as a job interview for Hill, who last week became one of 12 free agents signed by the Broncos.

"He had a chance to see me, play against me a lot, and he told me it was tough game- planning against the guys in the back end, me in particular," Hill said of McDaniels. "I guess that was one of the biggest things — who gave him a tough time to plan against."

Hill is expected to join fellow free-agent signees Brian Dawkins, a safety, and Andre' Goodman, a cornerback, targeted by the Broncos, and his signing further illustrates McDaniels' plan to bring in players he knows.
In addition to being familiar with Hill's play in division games, Hill and McDaniels have a relationship dating back a decade to 1999, when Hill was a cornerback at Michigan State and McDaniels was there as a graduate assistant coach on Nick Saban's staff.

McDan- iels' first free-agent haul also includes three former Patriots (wide receiver Jabar Gaffney, running back LaMont Jordan and long snapper Lonie Paxton). McDaniels also chose to re-sign defensive lineman Kenny Peterson. McDaniels, his younger brother Ben — who has been hired as an offensive assistant coach for the Broncos — and Peterson played high school football together in Canton, Ohio.

Hill's signing, as well as that of Dawkins and Goodman, also shows McDaniels' desire to improve the secondary immediately rather than having to rely on rookie draft picks to be starters.

The Broncos' defensive backs intercepted only five passes in 2008, and the safeties consistently struggled in pass and run coverage.

Hill, who had three interceptions in 2008 — including one against New England — said Broncos fans can expect to see major changes.

"We can be a complete secondary, one of the best, if not the best in the league," Hill said.

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

omac
03-09-2009, 11:10 AM
"We can be a complete secondary, one of the best, if not the best in the league," Hill said.

Hope so. That sounds eerily familiar to what Champ was saying when we got Bly, that now, no one will be able to throw against us. :D

Miami's defense looked phenomenal in some games last season, so that is reason to be upbeat. :cheers:

Rick
03-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Pass rush has a lot to do with the coverage abilities of the D backs as everyone knows, so that was certainly part of Bly's deficiancies.

Going to the 3-4 and possibly having guys who specialty is to rush the QB, Doom and Moss, applying pressure as the front 3 hold off blockers may help in that area.

At the very least the pass defence will be just as bad but with the new comers our D back run stopping ability will increase as all the new comer D backs can tackle.

CoachChaz
03-09-2009, 01:41 PM
The biggest benefit to a 3-4 is the ability to adjust and throw different schemes and looks at an opposing offense. 3-4 defenses have a knack of making even average CB's look really good. If we have the players and the execution, I have no doubt that our DB's will benefit from this.

getlynched47
03-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Gosh I hate the Hill signing...he's a sorry excuse for a Safety. How dare he calls himself a safety :coffee:

:lol:

TXBRONC
03-09-2009, 03:24 PM
I hope that Hill is right in that our defense can turn around its fortunes this upcoming season.

Magnificent Seven
03-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Honestly, I am happy with new defense and new D.C.-Mike Nolan. They made the right decision to sign Mike Nolan for Broncos' defensive coordinator. I trust them. However; I am very worried about Broncos' offense due to the relationship between Cutler and McDaniels. Plus,Brandon Marshall faces the lengthy suspension.