PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina D-lineman Melvin Ingram on Broncos' radar

Denver Native (Carol)
01-29-2012, 08:06 PM
There's always something about the big guys wearing the small numbers.

Perhaps it's their wish to play a small-guy position, to be a skill player, to handle the ball.

But most every year at a college all-star game, there will be a big guy wearing a small number that gets your attention — and sometimes what he does after that keeps your attention.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19848019

Ziggy
01-29-2012, 10:52 PM
I didn't see anything in that article other than the fact that a guy like Melvin Ingram has the athletic ability that could fit the Broncos scheme.

Skinny
01-30-2012, 06:19 AM
Do want. But he'll most likely be gone by #25.

silkamilkamonico
01-30-2012, 11:51 AM
I didn't see anything in that article other than the fact that a guy like Melvin Ingram has the athletic ability that could fit the Broncos scheme.

Dude has freak athletic ability.

That punt fake her returned for a TD earlier this year was ridiculous.

Joel
01-30-2012, 11:52 AM
So where would we use him? Does he replace Doom or Ayers, or are we talking about a 278 lb. DT? Have I mentioned how much I hate the abbreviation "DL"?

silkamilkamonico
01-30-2012, 01:28 PM
So where would we use him? Does he replace Doom or Ayers, or are we talking about a 278 lb. DT? Have I mentioned how much I hate the abbreviation "DL"?

He's literally "DL". He can play inside, he can play outside, he can probably even play LB. The dude is a freak athlete.

He's a 280+ explosive player that probably runs somewhere in the 4.7. maybe faster according to that punt fake for a TD. Ridiculous play.

Somebody get that up from youtube.

Joel
01-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Unless he gains 25 lbs. without losing that speed I'm still not sure where we use him. Again, do we replace Ayers or Doom, or start a really fast DT <290 lbs.? Of the three, only replacing Ayers MIGHT make sense to me.

silkamilkamonico
01-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Ayers was very good this year and not sure why they would consider replacing him. He isn't going to replace Dumervil. We need DT's. He would most certainly fit a DT in Fox's system.

NightTerror218
01-30-2012, 03:03 PM
Ayers was very good this year and not sure why they would consider replacing him. He isn't going to replace Dumervil. We need DT's. He would most certainly fit a DT in Fox's system.

We run a 4-3, dont need that monster 350 lb NT like the 3-4. Fox wants smaller and quicker from what i hear.

silkamilkamonico
01-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Ingram is almost a prototypical DT in Fox's system. He will also be able to line up in other positions and give me flexibility along the dline. Alot of things that gey can do and someone will be getting an excellent athlete who's also a great football player.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Ingram is almost a prototypical DT in Fox's system. He will also be able to line up in other positions and give me flexibility along the dline. Alot of things that gey can do and someone will be getting an excellent athlete who's also a great football player.

Athough I agree with the position flexibility angle, the comment that he's prototypical just isn't true.

Peppers and Rucker were DEs and weighed 285 and 275, respectively.

A short list of Panther DTs who played/mattered. Some in 04-06. Some in 09:

Jenkins...335
Buckner...305
Carstens...300
Moorehead...285
D. lewis...301
H. Thomas...306

I like Ingram. I do. I just don't think he is a fit for what we need to get better in 2012.

bcbronc
01-31-2012, 12:17 AM
There's so much moving DL around these days, inside outside two-point three-point, that it doesn't matter if you have a "starter". Having 8 DL that can all play and make plays is a good thing and in no way detrimental to the success of the team.

VonSackemMiller
01-31-2012, 12:38 AM
Hed be a great 3 4 de. If ues super strong he could survive at dt in the 4 3. But in a justin tuck role. Not fulltime dt. Most dts under fox arent good. He usually just have effort dts not studs.

Joel
01-31-2012, 10:22 AM
Athough I agree with the position flexibility angle, the comment that he's prototypical just isn't true.

Peppers and Rucker were DEs and weighed 285 and 275, respectively.

A short list of Panther DTs who played/mattered. Some in 04-06. Some in 09:

Jenkins...335
Buckner...305
Carstens...300
Moorehead...285
D. lewis...301
H. Thomas...306

I like Ingram. I do. I just don't think he is a fit for what we need to get better in 2012.
That's all I'm saying. It reminds of the debate about Doom a few years ago, when he was listed at 250 and people said he needed to bulk up and play the run better or he'd just be big cap hit because we could only use his great blitzing on third down. Of course, he's listed at 260 now and plays nearly every down. ;) I don't want another small fast DT giving up big runs up the gut because he gets run over all the time.

All but one of the DTs in that list is >300; if Ingram can reach that weight and keep playing like he has I'd love to have him as a DT, but I don't want another speed bump at DT.

CoachChaz
01-31-2012, 11:16 AM
Im not high on him either for this scheme, but remember...Von Miller wasnt a good fit for the 4-3 either.

Just something to think about

VonSackemMiller
01-31-2012, 11:18 AM
Yeah coach is right. If hes a playmaker you can line up at de dt pb all over the place then hes an asset. Buht if they just going to play him at dt thats a waste.

VonSackemMiller
01-31-2012, 11:19 AM
That's all I'm saying. It reminds of the debate about Doom a few years ago, when he was listed at 250 and people said he needed to bulk up and play the run better or he'd just be big cap hit because we could only use his great blitzing on third down. Of course, he's listed at 260 now and plays nearly every down. ;) I don't want another small fast DT giving up big runs up the gut because he gets run over all the time.

All but one of the DTs in that list is >300; if Ingram can reach that weight and keep playing like he has I'd love to have him as a DT, but I don't want another speed bump at DT.

Good comparison. Unless he has outstanding strenght

broncs
01-31-2012, 11:32 AM
post game report from senior bowl , Mike Adams OT Ohio St. handled with ease Melvin Ingram, Quinton Coples and Upshaw

Jsteve01
02-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Just say no to a 270 pound DT. Im still trying to figure out why Vickerson decided to to drop thirty pounds last year. Didn't help him at the Poa for sure.