PDA

View Full Version : Dawkins is playing in the Pro Bowl

MOtorboat
01-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Thoughts? Theories?

Mine is that it might be his last game in an NFL uniform.

madmanbryan
01-29-2012, 07:41 PM
I was just thinking that..

cmc0605
01-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Given his positive statements about the Del Rio hire, I don't suspect he's ready to quit.

BroncoBJ
01-29-2012, 07:46 PM
Given his positive statements about the Del Rio hire, I don't suspect he's ready to quit.

My thoughts as well. Pretty much what I was going to post. Makes me think he'll be back again. Who knows though. I'd like to see him come back, either that or just trade him and Bailey to a team like the Pats so they can have a chance to win a ring :lol:

But naw, Hope we can get him his ring. :elefant:

DenBronx
01-29-2012, 07:53 PM
I think its lame hes playing if he was hurt so bad and couldnt really play for us.

I mean its nice hes on a little sunny vacation and all but why not play when its all on the line for a SB?

camdisco24
01-29-2012, 07:56 PM
I think he'll be back next year. There is no quit in that guy.

OrangeHoof
01-29-2012, 08:01 PM
As candy-assed as the "hitting" is in the Pro Bowl, Dawk is in no danger of further injury. I do wonder, however, if Goodell continues to make the game safer, if this level of contact is the future of the NFL.

camdisco24
01-29-2012, 08:03 PM
As candy-assed as the "hitting" is in the Pro Bowl, Dawk is in no danger of further injury. I do wonder, however, if Goodell continues to make the game safer, if this level of contact is the future of the NFL.

The NFL will never be as soft as the pro bowl. Even Goodell isn't capable of that.

red98
01-29-2012, 08:35 PM
I think its lame hes playing if he was hurt so bad and couldnt really play for us.

I mean its nice hes on a little sunny vacation and all but why not play when its all on the line for a SB?

Dawk is above being questioned on this. He is a proven warrior.

BroncoWave
01-29-2012, 08:38 PM

Wow. This post is even more asinine than Mo's ramblings on Del Rio. Questioning Dawk's toughness? Now I have heard it all.

MOtorboat
01-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Wow. This post is even more asinine than Mo's ramblings on Del Rio. Questioning Dawk's toughness? Now I have heard it all.

Nice personal jab.

Crusade much?

cmc0605
01-29-2012, 08:40 PM

Have you forgot about that little thing called "time to heal?" If we were playing the Pats today, he'd be there. We'd still have lost.

DenBronx
01-29-2012, 08:50 PM

MO asked a question and I answered with my thoughts.

Sorry you didnt like the truth.

BroncoWave
01-29-2012, 09:39 PM

:lol: The truth. Ok... What school did you get your medical degree from?

DenBronx
01-29-2012, 11:09 PM
:lol: The truth. Ok... What school did you get your medical degree from?

Oh, I thought we were talking about our SS who missed about 4 games down the stretch with serious career ending neck problems?

Who were we talking about then? Is it the guy enjoying iced tea in sunny Hawaii thats playing with nothing on the line? All jokes and giggles???

Magnificent Seven
01-29-2012, 11:26 PM
I think Dawkins will play in season 2012. Probably his final season.

BroncoWave
01-29-2012, 11:45 PM
Oh, I thought we were talking about our SS who missed about 4 games down the stretch with serious career ending neck problems?

Who were we talking about then? Is it the guy enjoying iced tea in sunny Hawaii thats playing with nothing on the line? All jokes and giggles???

:lol: Yeah because he was totally playing at the intensity that a regular season game would require. He wasn't even close to hitting anyone hard enough to get re-injured.

Davii
01-29-2012, 11:52 PM

Seriously? Wow.

This is one of the lamest things I've seen around here lately...

You don't think maybe his neck finally healed enough given that he was "day to day" for our last two games?

If there's one thing I would never question it's Dawk playing if he's able. The man can't clear himself to play, only the team docs can. I honestly can't believe anyone would question Dawk at this point in his career, I think the man has proven himself, in fact, I know damn well he has.

red98
01-30-2012, 12:53 AM
Seriously? Wow.

You don't think maybe his neck finally healed enough given that he was "day to day" for our last two games?

If there's one thing I would never question it's Dawk playing if he's able. The man can't clear himself to play, only the team docs can. I honestly can't believe anyone would question Dawk at this point in his career, I think the man has proven himself, in fact, I know damn well he has.

Dam straight Davii!

Dawk's a guy they have to hide the helmet to keep him off the field.

Proud to have him on our team, hope he plays next year.

Davii
01-30-2012, 01:32 AM
Dam straight Davii!

Dawk's a guy they have to hide the helmet to keep him off the field.

Proud to have him on our team, hope he plays next year.

I think he's coming back for another Red. The comments he made through the season about believing and how excited he was about his teammates, and now how happy he seems about the JDR hire...

He's coming back... I hope.

VonSackemMiller
01-30-2012, 03:12 AM

Another one. Lol. Welcome to the lol club with boat

VonSackemMiller
01-30-2012, 03:17 AM
Insane coming for dawks! How could anybody trash him ye puts his all into the broncis. He had a great year ubtill he got hurt. Laying the boom and lining us up. Glad hes coming back

Davii
01-30-2012, 03:34 AM
Insane coming for dawks! How could anybody trash him ye puts his all into the broncis. He had a great year ubtill he got hurt. Laying the boom and lining us up. Glad hes coming back

I hope he comes back. To be honest, that was the only part of this post I understood...

Joel
01-30-2012, 11:26 AM
I did not expect this; I figured Dawkins had played his last down. I must admit to mixed feelings; if he plays like his old self I'd love to see him back next year, but he'll be a year shy of 40. I have to wonder not only if he'll still be fast enough but if his body can still take the punishment for four solid months. I know we are limited to 53 roster spots (46 active) and our secondary completely collapsed when Dawkins got hurt this year.

Well. I'm glad he's apparently made a full recovery, and would be thrilled to have him back at 100% for another season; I just hope he doesn't do himself permanent injury trying to do what his body no longer can.

NightTerror218
01-30-2012, 12:40 PM

But ignore the fact that he had extra time to rest and that the Pro Bowl is half ass playing? Why not?

Lancane
01-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Dawkins is still a solid safety, but the problem is that the Pro-Bowl is no longer the measuring stick it once was when the AP and those around the league voted in those deserving of the accomplishment. Not all fans are knuckleheads, but a lot of people get voted in simply out of favoritism these days. I'd be willing to bet that many on this board who voted did so for Broncos players in almost every category, despite if they deserved it or not. Tim Tebow almost made it to the Pro-Bowl, that would have been an outrage IMHO.

The Pro-Bowl is meant to be the best players in the league at their given positions for that season. Dawkins should not have been in the Pro-Bowl despite that he is an All-Pro Safety, his numbers are nowhere near the top eight or ten at the position like McGahee's was and deserved the honor. The reason he's in is because he got enough votes, and probably has a lot to do with his name being so familiar rather then truly deserving the honor.

However, I'm not going to blast him for going to the Pro-Bowl and playing in it, if he felt he could and was medically cleared. It's still an honor to go, even if the voting for it is a botched process to do so.

NightTerror218
01-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Dawkins is still a solid safety, but the problem is that the Pro-Bowl is no longer the measuring stick it once was when the AP and those around the league voted in those deserving of the accomplishment. Not all fans are knuckleheads, but a lot of people get voted in simply out of favoritism these days. I'd be willing to bet that many on this board who voted did so for Broncos players in almost every category, despite if they deserved it or not. Tim Tebow almost made it to the Pro-Bowl, that would have been an outrage IMHO.

The Pro-Bowl is meant to be the best players in the league at their given positions for that season. Dawkins should not have been in the Pro-Bowl despite that he is an All-Pro Safety, his numbers are nowhere near the top eight or ten at the position like McGahee's was and deserved the honor. The reason he's in is because he got enough votes, and probably has a lot to do with his name being so familiar rather then truly deserving the honor.

However, I'm not going to blast him for going to the Pro-Bowl and playing in it, if he felt he could and was medically cleared. It's still an honor to go, even if the voting for it is a botched process to do so.

Dawkins played amazing this season until his injury. HE WAS OUTSTANDING. Dawkins made an impact on the field when he was there and defense dropped off without him in secondary. But fans are 1/3 of vote. Players and coaches are the other 2/3.

DenBronx
01-30-2012, 06:01 PM
:lol: Yeah because he was totally playing at the intensity that a regular season game would require. He wasn't even close to hitting anyone hard enough to get re-injured.

So it's a miracle that his neck has fully healed in 2 weeks then. I have a serious injury in my C5, C6 and C7. Bones are basically fused together and my left arm and hand are still numb a year later. I have been seeing a Chiropractor over a year and my only choice now is surgery. Manning would have never played again unless he would have had surgery and even now they dont think he will ever play again. The reports were that Dawkins neck was so serious that he would never play another down in the NFL.

So yeah, go ahead and risk paralyzing yourself in a meaningless game. Anyone can get hurt. The came was half speed yes but any freak injury could happen.

Seriously? Wow.

Sorry you dont like anyones opinions but your own self centered ones. I gave my thoughts on the subject and I dont think it was smart of him. It looked bad especially since the Broncos needed him so badly in the playoffs. You know, a game that actually counted? If you're even attempting to play again then why not just heal up? Why rush to Hawaii with serious neck problems?

But ignore the fact that he had extra time to rest and that the Pro Bowl is half ass playing? Why not?

Trip? Fall? Head to head hit with another guy on defense? What if someone fumbled and there was a scramble for it? Didnt Drew Brees dislocate his shoulder in the ProBowl??

pnbronco
01-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Seriously? Wow.

Wow is right! If there is one person who I would never question his dedication to our team it is Dawkins. The man is a warrior and has given his team mates everything he has week in and week out.

I offered him prayers that he could heal so the choice will be his in the end. I just love being around the man so much and I think he is so good for the young ones I do hope he has one year left as a player/coach.

Great post Davii I would high five you a hundred times if I could and you too Red!!!!!!!

nevcraw
01-30-2012, 07:36 PM
So it's a miracle that his neck has fully healed in 2 weeks then. I have a serious injury in my C5, C6 and C7. Bones are basically fused together and my left arm and hand are still numb a year later. I have been seeing a Chiropractor over a year and my only choice now is surgery. Manning would have never played again unless he would have had surgery and even now they dont think he will ever play again. The reports were that Dawkins neck was so serious that he would never play another down in the NFL.

So yeah, go ahead and risk paralyzing yourself in a meaningless game. Anyone can get hurt. The came was half speed yes but any freak injury could happen.

Sorry you dont like anyones opinions but your own self centered ones. I gave my thoughts on the subject and I dont think it was smart of him. It looked bad especially since the Broncos needed him so badly in the playoffs. You know, a game that actually counted? If you're even attempting to play again then why not just heal up? Why rush to Hawaii with serious neck problems?

Trip? Fall? Head to head hit with another guy on defense? What if someone fumbled and there was a scramble for it? Didnt Drew Brees dislocate his shoulder in the ProBowl??

he was a pretty late scratch for the Pitt game which means he was probably pretty close to being ready to play.. then 2 weeks later he is better.. end of story. meanwhile if he is close to hanging it up which could be his choice or not why not give himself and the fans one more time on the gridiron.. pretty much the last person save Tebow I would question his commitment..

Davii
01-30-2012, 09:19 PM

Please show some form of communication from THE TEAM saying this injury was so serious out might be the end of Dawkins' career. Outside of the team and the team's medical staff all anyone has to go off of is pure conjecture and speculation.

Certainly some questioned it, but here's a secret for you, due to a couple laws known as the privacy act of 1974 and HIPPA the only information they had was what the team released. That Dawkins was day to day, improving, did practice walk throughs, was a late scratch for the pitt and NE games, but according to him, "had we beat NE there isn't any doctor that choice kept me off the field".

Sorry for your injuries, but please don't assume because some blogger with no more access than your neighbor said Dawk might be done that his injurious are anywhere near as significant as yours.

And please, dear lord I can't wait to find out, tell me how my opinion is self centered.

And just for the record, I don't hate other people's opinions. Only the ones that suck.

DenBronx
01-30-2012, 10:41 PM
Please show some form of communication from THE TEAM saying this injury was so serious out might be the end of Dawkins' career. Outside of the team and the team's medical staff all anyone has to go off of is pure conjecture and speculation.

Certainly some questioned it, but here's a secret for you, due to a couple laws known as the privacy act of 1974 and HIPPA the only information they had was what the team released. That Dawkins was day to day, improving, did practice walk throughs, was a late scratch for the pitt and NE games, but according to him, "had we beat NE there isn't any doctor that choice kept me off the field".

Sorry for your injuries, but please don't assume because some blogger with no more access than your neighbor said Dawk might be done that his injurious are anywhere near as significant as yours.

And please, dear lord I can't wait to find out, tell me how my opinion is self centered.

And just for the record, I don't hate other people's opinions. Only the ones that suck.

So, he wanted to play AFTER we had beat NE? You mean the game we needed him most? So he was saying he would play IF we beat them? Interesting. That kind of makes my case even more.

But for the spirit of debate and since you seek evidence I'll continue to play..

Not direct from www.denverbroncos.com But I think Klis is pretty reputable with reporting news about the Broncos.
STRAIGHT FROM THE DENVER POST:
It's the fourth time this season he has missed parts, or all, of a game with a neck injury. When a 38-year-old safety known for his willingness to unleash ferocious fury has a neck problem, there are concerns about his well-being. There are concerns the neck injury could end a distinguished 16-year career that includes eight Pro Bowls.

"I don't want to talk about the neck," Dawkins said.

Read more: Neck injury to Broncos' Brian Dawkins a serious concern - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19616541#ixzz1l0AnyUhl
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

YAHOO SPORTS:
Neck injuries are never good. That is especially true when they happen multiple times. Dawkins missed the Week 15 game against the New England Patriots with this injury. He returned against the Bills but he didn't last long. Dawkins re-injured his neck in the first quarter and did not return to the game. Given the nature and the area of his injury, there is little chance that Dawkins will play in just one week. He is also 38 years old and his career could be in jeopardy. There was always a chance that Dawkins would retire after the season anyway, although he was still playing at a high level. With this injury, that chance is that much greater.

Dawkins kept his strong career going in Denver after the Philadelphia Eagles thought he was over the hill. He has been a tackling machine and managed to force several turnovers over his three seasons. More importantly, his leadership shined on the Denver defense. He became a team captain and was instrumental in helping the Denver defense turn the 2011 season around. As much hype as Tim Tebow got, Denver won most of their games on the strength of their defense. Without Dawkins that defense won't be as strong. That was clear in the losses to the Patriots and the Bills.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-10749497

And yes I said self centered because your automatic reply was this is the lamest thing ive seen blah blah blah without even understanding why I said it. I never questioned Dawkins toughness but I did question why he was playing in the ProBowl. We needed him in the playoffs but only a couple weeks later he's drinking lemonade and having a luau in Hawaii.

So yeah I gave my thoughts and I realize not everyone will agree. Just think it looked bad. I do however realize that the ProBowl was a flag football game but any freak accident can happen and with my history of neck issues I can see how he could get hurt even worse. Why not just head into the offseason and fully heal? I think his career is done and really the Broncos need to get younger anyway.

DenBronx
01-30-2012, 10:47 PM
And no, I don't mind giving an unpopular opinion in an open sports forum.

Why dont we all just agree and eat cupcakes together everyday?

Davii
01-30-2012, 11:48 PM
So, he wanted to play AFTER we had beat NE? You mean the game we needed him most? So he was saying he would play IF we beat them? Interesting. That kind of makes my case even more.

But for the spirit of debate and since you seek evidence I'll continue to play..

Not direct from www.denverbroncos.com But I think Klis is pretty reputable with reporting news about the Broncos.
STRAIGHT FROM THE DENVER POST:
It's the fourth time this season he has missed parts, or all, of a game with a neck injury. When a 38-year-old safety known for his willingness to unleash ferocious fury has a neck problem, there are concerns about his well-being. There are concerns the neck injury could end a distinguished 16-year career that includes eight Pro Bowls.

"I don't want to talk about the neck," Dawkins said.

Read more: Neck injury to Broncos' Brian Dawkins a serious concern - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19616541#ixzz1l0AnyUhl
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

YAHOO SPORTS:
Neck injuries are never good. That is especially true when they happen multiple times. Dawkins missed the Week 15 game against the New England Patriots with this injury. He returned against the Bills but he didn't last long. Dawkins re-injured his neck in the first quarter and did not return to the game. Given the nature and the area of his injury, there is little chance that Dawkins will play in just one week. He is also 38 years old and his career could be in jeopardy. There was always a chance that Dawkins would retire after the season anyway, although he was still playing at a high level. With this injury, that chance is that much greater.

Dawkins kept his strong career going in Denver after the Philadelphia Eagles thought he was over the hill. He has been a tackling machine and managed to force several turnovers over his three seasons. More importantly, his leadership shined on the Denver defense. He became a team captain and was instrumental in helping the Denver defense turn the 2011 season around. As much hype as Tim Tebow got, Denver won most of their games on the strength of their defense. Without Dawkins that defense won't be as strong. That was clear in the losses to the Patriots and the Bills.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-10749497

And yes I said self centered because your automatic reply was this is the lamest thing ive seen blah blah blah without even understanding why I said it. I never questioned Dawkins toughness but I did question why he was playing in the ProBowl. We needed him in the playoffs but only a couple weeks later he's drinking lemonade and having a luau in Hawaii.

So yeah I gave my thoughts and I realize not everyone will agree. Just think it looked bad. I do however realize that the ProBowl was a flag football game but any freak accident can happen and with my history of neck issues I can see how he could get hurt even worse. Why not just head into the offseason and fully heal? I think his career is done and really the Broncos need to get younger anyway.

Thanks for the lack of any article quoting a team source.

Again, beyond the injury report the team didn't release any info. And FYI, Dawk said it after the game when asked how he was healing. Fox said he was day to day and professing, etc.

Again, show me a team source, please. TIA

I think it's probably a little more self centered to question a man who has given his all to two different teams, remains among the most respected players across the league, etc.

If he was medically cleared to play in Hawaii and wanted to play (quite obviously yes to both) who the **** are you to question him? He has earned the right to get the benefit of the doubt from his teammates which is a billion times more important than your thoughts or my thoughts on the subject.

You're damn right we could've used him, and nobody knows that more than him. Maybe he hasn't made up his mind on retirement but wanted to make sure he got to take the field with Von and Champ again since he was obviously medically cleared. Maybe the pro bowl was his last hurrah. If so, and even if not, I find it rather sad that any fan would question his heart or desire.

LordTrychon
01-31-2012, 12:18 PM
It was only ever considered a 'potentially career ending injury' by news sources, because he was 38 and there was a good chance our season would be over before he could make it back and an equally good chance that he wouldn't have another season.

If he was younger, it would have been potentially season ending.

NightTerror218
01-31-2012, 12:28 PM
I watched him during the Pro Bowl he was just running around not hitting anyone.

man that is just so risky, he could have borken his neck.

This game is like 2-hand touch. If he cleared to play why not. It is easy money and a fun game for them.

nevcraw
01-31-2012, 04:28 PM
I heard from numerous super secret inside sources that Dawkins was just lazy.. Freddie Mitchell his former teammate in Philly tweeted about it before his episode of Million Dollar matchmaker aired.

DenBronx
02-01-2012, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the lack of any article quoting a team source.

Again, beyond the injury report the team didn't release any info. And FYI, Dawk said it after the game when asked how he was healing. Fox said he was day to day and professing, etc.

Again, show me a team source, please. TIA

I think it's probably a little more self centered to question a man who has given his all to two different teams, remains among the most respected players across the league, etc.

If he was medically cleared to play in Hawaii and wanted to play (quite obviously yes to both) who the **** are you to question him? He has earned the right to get the benefit of the doubt from his teammates which is a billion times more important than your thoughts or my thoughts on the subject.

You're damn right we could've used him, and nobody knows that more than him. Maybe he hasn't made up his mind on retirement but wanted to make sure he got to take the field with Von and Champ again since he was obviously medically cleared. Maybe the pro bowl was his last hurrah. If so, and even if not, I find it rather sad that any fan would question his heart or desire.

Since you have a comprehension problem why don't you just PM me and we can continue the pissing match.

RE-READ, THINK ....THEN POST. mmmmkk?

DenBronx
02-01-2012, 12:41 AM
It was only ever considered a 'potentially career ending injury' by news sources, because he was 38 and there was a good chance our season would be over before he could make it back and an equally good chance that he wouldn't have another season.

If he was younger, it would have been potentially season ending.

Makes sense. I remember Al Wilsons neck injury forced him to retire early.

At age 38, now pushing 39, I'm just not so sure Dawkins will be here next year. I could be wrong but would the Broncos even want to risk not having this position secured? I love Dawk, he's been great and I think he should go into coaching once his career is done but I think EFX should keep their options open.

bcbronc
02-01-2012, 01:45 AM
If Dawkins wants to play another season, you bring him back for sure. But you expect it to be in a limited capacity. It gives Moore and QC that extra bit of cushion in their development. If Dawkins isn't back we'll need to bring in a vet safety anyway, might as well be him if he's available. Dawkins certainly has his limitations as a player at this point in his career, but his intangibles are invaluable on such a young team.

Chef Zambini
02-01-2012, 09:52 AM

I mean its nice hes on a little sunny vacation and all but why not play when its all on the line for a SB?hes going to play like goodman, just run around and not really defend or hit anybody.

Davii
02-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Since you have a comprehension problem why don't you just PM me and we can continue the pissing match.

RE-READ, THINK ....THEN POST. mmmmkk?

Translation: I am tired of trying to defend a stupid statement so I will instead claim that people don't understand what I wrote.

nevcraw
02-01-2012, 12:41 PM
hes going to play like goodman, just run around and not really defend or hit anybody.

goodman had some very good games this season. also - (don't know exact stats) but he had to be target over bailey for the majority of pass plays..
we coulf have a lot worse.. IMO Besides bailey Goodman has been the best CB we have had since the crocket-Gordon years. and that inlcudes Dwill - whom I really liked but was very inconistant in coverage.