PDA

View Full Version : Van Pelt Taking A Shot At Safety

TXBRONC
03-07-2009, 11:50 PM
Bradlee Van Pelt the former Denver Broncos back up quarterback is attempting a comeback at a new postion.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11862663

Klis: Van Pelt taking a shot at safety
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/07/2009 08:30:00 PM MST
Updated: 03/07/2009 08:39:40 PM MST

People used to always say Bradlee Van Pelt would make a fine NFL safety.

They would watch him bring uncommon athleticism and unpolished ruggedness to the quarterback position and wonder if he missed his calling.

Take a bow, all you wise guys. Bradlee is attempting a comeback. As a safety.

"There's plenty of naysayers over the years who said I would never make it as an NFL quarterback," Van Pelt said. "Well, you know what? I think I did make it. I know I gave it the best shot I could, and I became an NFL quarterback.

"But even though quarterbacking has always been a love of mine, I was finally able to push it aside to let myself do what I've done instinctively for so many years, and that's play football and be an athlete. So to the people who said I could be an NFL safety, they're right too."

Van Pelt knows the odds are against him. It's one thing for Nolan Cromwell to come out of college 30 years ago and convert from quarterback to safety. It's another for a 28-year-old former Broncos backup quarterback to give the safety position a go in this era of specialization so extreme that many teams use one kicker for field goals and another for kickoffs.

Nevertheless, has there ever been a player better suited for the role of kamikaze wedge-buster on kickoff coverage than Bradlee Van Pelt?

Van Pelt began his quest to reinvent his football self six months ago. The former Colorado State star started working on safety-related drills with well-known trainers in California. He has been filming his workouts with the idea of sending off a package to all 32 teams by month's end.

He did get a workout last month with his late father's old team, the New York Giants.

"I think it went well, but it did show I need to continue to work on football-related skills," Bradlee said. "That's the challenge. I have to get in an environment around coaches. People who have ability to take a raw talent and refine it are with organizations."

Even though I covered Van Pelt for a full season and a training camp into the second, I got to know his father better. Bradlee, I've interviewed. Brad, I met over beers at Yesterday's Bar & Grill in Clifton, N.J. And again the next night.

You talk about so much more than football at Yesterday's.

His father's unexpected death of a heart attack three weeks ago had nothing to do with Bradlee giving the NFL one more shot. His father's passing, at 57, gave Bradlee a greater appreciation for his father.

"It's amazing to realize how a man who accomplished so much made you feel like he hadn't accomplished anything." Bradlee said.

Dad was a terrific Giants linebacker, and now Bradlee wants to play on that side of the ball too. If only Mike Shanahan were still coaching somewhere.

"It's not going to be easy," Van Pelt said. "It hasn't been easy so far. I'm not lying to myself. There are no guarantees. But I do feel deep down someone out there will give me a shot."

At the very least, it should put an end to all those Colorado football fans who periodically e-mail: Whatever happened to Bradlee Van Pelt?

Footnotes.

Notice how the Broncos have signed a free agent to practically every position but kicker? As it stands now, the plan is for Matt Prater to keep his job. A young kicker will be signed to compete, but the feeling is Prater is too young and has too much talent to give up on. It's hard to remember this now, but in 1993, rookie Jason Elam made just 26-of-35 attempted field goals. Prater was 25-of-34 last year. . . . Former Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer visited Broncos owner Pat Bowlen at the team's Dove Valley's headquarters Friday for the first time since he retired following the 2006 season. . . . Breathe easy, Broncos fans. Terrell Owens is a Buffalo Bill, not a Bronco. We can only imagine the sideline pleasantries that would have been exchanged between T.O. and Jay Cutler. We're talking volcano and hot lava.

Hobe
03-07-2009, 11:53 PM
GO Bradlee!

slim
03-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Probably should have tried this four or five years ago.

DenBronx
03-07-2009, 11:59 PM
hope it works out for him. his dad was a linebacker so he might have what it takes to play a safety.

TXBRONC
03-08-2009, 12:02 AM
There were a lot of people who thought he would make a better safety than he was a quarterback and like Slim said it's to bad he didn't try this sooner.

slim
03-08-2009, 12:04 AM
There were a lot of people who thought he would make a better safety than he was a quarterback and like Slim said it's to bad he didn't try this sooner.

It really is too bad. I think he let his ego get in the way...he was dead set on being an NFL QB when it was pretty clear that was never going to work.

I think he could have hung around the league awhile as a ST player/back up saftey.

getlynched47
03-08-2009, 12:06 AM
it would be badass if he makes an NFL team as a safety :salute:

good luck to u Van Pelt...

BroncoTech
03-08-2009, 12:07 AM
Much respect to his father but this is crazy talk.

TXBRONC
03-08-2009, 12:08 AM
It really is too bad. I think he let his ego get in the way...he was dead set on being an NFL QB when it was pretty clear that was never going to work.

I think he could have hung around the league awhile as a ST player/back up saftey.

I agree, he's very athletic had he made this move sooner he might still be in the NFL.

skycoyote
03-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Whats Plummer up too?

TXBRONC
03-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Whats Plummer up too?

Professional handball is what I heard. I also heard that he can only hit wall 53% of the time on his serves. :shocked:

Just kidding. :D

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-08-2009, 01:20 AM
Whats Plummer up too?

Heard he was trying out for NT

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
03-08-2009, 07:31 AM
I wish him the best of luck

rcsodak
03-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Bummer.....I was thinking he'd make a good TE. :tsk:

UnderArmour
03-08-2009, 09:45 PM
He should have done this last season. We could've used him.

underrated29
03-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Professional handball is what I heard. I also heard that he can only hit wall 53% of the time on his serves. :shocked:

Just kidding. :D

Thats if he is using his "left" hand. He is up to 61% with the right.

;)

TXBRONC
03-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Thats if he is using his "left" hand. He is up to 61% with the right.

;)

Actually it's only 59.1%. :D

omac
03-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Actually it's only 59.1%. :D

Usually, it gets intercepted before it hits the wall ... kidding. :D

John Lynch used to be a quarterback, so maybe Van Pelt can make it as a safety. Also, though he's 28, he hasn't received that much of a pounding, so his body may play much younger.

Buff
03-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Just another out of work Colorado State University graduate, nothing to see here.

Dirk
03-09-2009, 11:27 AM
I hope him the best and that he lands somewhere!

Plummer? Who is that? I have blocked out part of his career. Albeit he was just a notch over a mid-range QB in my book.

As far as T.O. goes....glad he isn't on the sidelines!!!

TXBRONC
03-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Usually, it gets intercepted before it hits the wall ... kidding. :D

John Lynch used to be a quarterback, so maybe Van Pelt can make it as a safety. Also, though he's 28, he hasn't received that much of a pounding, so his body may play much younger.

Maybe, but Lynch made the switch while he was still in college.