PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Should Extend Cutler

xzn
03-07-2009, 02:33 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1719/Three-ways-the-Broncos-can-move-forward.html

:salute:

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

No matter whom you side with, or whether the Broncos' fractured relationship with franchise quarterback Jay Cutler gets repaired, the Josh McDaniels era in Denver has started on shaky ground.

No team in the NFL has dealt with such unnecessary controversy this offseason.

The entire organization must learn from this. Under the tandem of owner Pat Bowlen and coach Mike Shanahan, the Broncos were known as a team players wanted to play for.

After the McDaniels-Cutler fiasco, that could change. Denver may not be looked at as such a desirable destination after McDaniels engaged in trade talks for Cutler last week, reportedly having considered bringing on board Matt Cassel, who played for him in New England.

The Broncos have announced they will not trade Cutler now and the two sides are expected to communicate soon in an attempt to mend fences. Even if Cutler and McDaniels, who Cutler has maintained were building a strong, new relationship, can find a common ground, it will hover over the 32-year-old coach as he tries to turn around Denver, which stumbled in the final two seasons of the Shanahan era.

Denver must learn a valuable lesson from the saga. Things like this just can't happen again. Yes, it could all end well, but this was a serious warning sign for a team that is trying to restore its winning ways.

Here are three areas Denver must pay attention to as it tries to move forward from this public relations disaster.

Bowlen must take charge:

Bowlen is not used to being in the spotlight for such drama. It mus be eating at him.

Bowlen has a reputation around the league as being one of the better owners. He is smart, gives his team what it needs to win and his main business interest is the Broncos. He loves his team and he is a daily presence.

He must become a bigger presence. In fact, Bowlen must live up to his own words. It starts with him. He seemed to get that when he fired Shanahan. He made a point to say that he would be making the final call on matters.

Under Shanahan, it was well known in league circles that Shanahan ran the show in Denver. Bowlen is a quiet, shy, nice man who has believed his football people should run the football side.

Still, many thought Shanahan took advantage of his ultra-long leash and there were no checks and balances in Denver the past couple of years. Bowlen seemed to sense public perception by making a point of saying he'd be more involved after firing Shanahan.
But, the word around Denver was that McDaniels, 32, was given the keys to the house in the early stages of his Denver tenure, just as Shanahan was.

Now that this Cutler situation has blown up in Denver's face, perhaps Bowlen truly will take charge.

McDaniels needs to be more open minded:

McDaniels can make up for this situation quickly, but it is absurd that he is looked at so skeptically less than two months after being hired. Remember, he is six months away from coaching his first game and he's already a villain in some circles in Denver.

But the truth is, McDaniels put himself in this situation. He talked about Cassel despite having a Pro Bowl quarterback who is 25. That raised questions. Why would McDaniels want to trade the younger, more experienced, more accomplished Cutler for Cassel? Perhaps this Patriot Way thing has gotten a tad clouded.

McDaniels has been able to build his team the way he wants and he is making wholesale changes, all the way down to replacing long snapper Mike Leach, who was virtually perfect in Denver in seven seasons, for the equally solid Lonie Paxton. Paxton was with New England. He is good but so is Leach, and many people around Denver didn't think this move was necessary, especially on the first day of free agency with Denver having so many needs on defense. A long snapper is a luxury in free agency and Denver already had a solid snapper.

It is completely within McDaniels' right to construct the team the way he wants, but he has to realize there is a world out outside of New England.

Ultimately, McDaniels' biggest problem was he discussed trading for Cassel and trading Cutler without getting it done. If you are going to investigate this type of dramatic move, you better get it done or it will explode. And, boy, did it explode.

McDaniels is young and he is going to make mistakes. He made a huge miscue weeks into his tenure. He can and he will likely survive it, but he must learn from it.

Reward Cutler:

A major theme between the Broncos and Cutler's upcoming meeting will likely be trust.

The Broncos said this week that they will not trade Cutler, and they were emphatic about it. Still, the meeting will be lively to say the least. Cutler told ESPN's Chris Mortensen last week the Broncos were denying seeking a trade while he said he knew for a fact they were in trade discussions. He wants the Broncos to level with him.

Cutler will certainly want to be reassured when he meets with McDaniels. Cutler is open to talking and staying, but those close to him say he wants to make sure he can trust the team.

Yes, Denver said it won't trade him, but since Cassel is off the market there are no clear options as Cutler's replacement. Denver will likely have to do more than just say he won't be traded to appease the quarterback.

Here's what Denver should do: give Cutler a long contract extension. He has three more seasons remaining on his rookie contract that he signed in 2006, so it would be a bit unusual giving him a new contract with just half of his existing deal over. But it is also unusual to talk about dealing a 25-year-old Pro Bowl player.

Giving Cutler a new contract would be an ultimate sign of good faith by Denver. And it would end any trade discussions or talk of Cutler trying to leave through restricted free agency in two years. It would make life normal again. Denver is teeming with salary-cap room and this would be a good time to do it.

Plus, there is no reason not to. Cutler is a quality player who is going to be in the league for a long time. If the two sides work out their differences, the Broncos would likely want to re-sign him down the road anyway. Why not do it now?
If the Broncos want to do right by Cutler and make a positive out of this offseason disaster, giving him an extension will go a long way in moving on from this drama.

:salute:

I ALMOST THINK BURGER BILL HAS BEEN READING OUR FORUM :cool:

broncophan
03-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Nice article.....
but I don't think the broncos need to do a damn thing for Cutler.....why reward a guy.....(who hasn't accomplished a whole lot in the short time he has been here....besides personal stats)....just because he was unhappy about being shopped ???

I will use Curt Warner as an example....but there have been many others.........it is ok for him to look elsewhere....and hell.....even take a physical for another team......but instead....he opted to stay at Arizona....I wonder why that is o.k.:confused:

spikerman
03-07-2009, 04:03 PM
If the Broncos see Cutler as their long-term QB, they should extend him AND offer him a "no-trade" clause. That's not to give in to him, but to show him their commitment and get his heart back into this team. Whether you agree with Cutler's response or not, if you're a Broncos' fan you don't want him to let any negative feelings affect his play on the field.

xzn
03-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Cutler will cost more to re-sign in two-three years if we wait... it's not a reward, it's a wise business decision as long as the FO agrees that he is the long-term guy.

It's just formalizing the relationship and it would help to put the drama behind them.

DenBronx
03-07-2009, 04:17 PM
by Aaron Wilson on March 7, 2009, 2:00 p.m.
The Denver Broncos’ flirtation/involvement with prospective trade discussions for quarterback Matt Cassel, which enraged incumbent Broncos starter Jay Cutler, didn’t work out partially because of financial considerations, according to Mike Klis of the Denver Post.

Per the article, Cutler was paid $17.3 million, not including incentives, over the past three years.

However, Cutler is only going to be paid a $1.035 million base salary along with a $100,000 workout bonus in 2009. And the difference in terms of expenditure between the two players for 2009 is a whopping $13.465 million.

Meanwhile, Broncos coach Josh McDaniels continues to emphasize that the Broncos didn’t initiate trade calls regarding Cutler.

Cutler and McDaniels are supposed to meet next week to try to mend fences.

“We don’t want to trade Jay,” McDaniels said last week. “We never did.”

Meanwhile, the Post has the financial breakdown on backup quarterback Chris Simms’ deal with the Broncos that includes $3.46 million in first-year compensation.

Simms is due a total of $6 million over two years. That figure includes a $1.5 million signing bonus, a $1.96 million base salary for the first year with a $2.54 million base salary in 2010.

Simms’ incentives could add up to an additional $3 million.

DenBronx
03-07-2009, 04:18 PM
no way do we let our backup qb make more than cutler. i say extend him now and keep him happy.

xzn
03-07-2009, 04:19 PM
If I read that right Simms will make more than Cutler this year? :confused:

DenBronx
03-07-2009, 04:22 PM
If I read that right Simms will make more than Cutler this year? :confused:

according to the article...

silkamilkamonico
03-07-2009, 04:58 PM
If the Broncos see Cutler as their long-term QB, they should extend him AND offer him a "no-trade" clause.

No trade clauses are illegal in the NFL.

I agree with broncophanatic. If we extend Cutler now, he's going to want a huge increase. IMHO, that's BS, considering he got a great rookie contract and didn't even play that out. Extending him for relatively the same would be foolish for Cutler, because if he plays well over the next few years, he'll want a huge contract and rightfully so. Let's worry about making the playoffs before we worry about extending a pivotal player to a mega contract.

spikerman
03-07-2009, 05:32 PM
No trade clauses are illegal in the NFL.

Can you show me where they are prohibited? It's not that I don't believe you, I have just never heard that before. In fact, I found a web site that talks about the collective bargaining agreement that says in part "However, if such player is claimed and awarded, he shall have the option to declare himself an Unrestricted Free Agent at the end of the League Year in question if he has a no-trade clause in his Player Contract. If such player does not have a no-trade clause and the Player Contract being awarded through waivers covers more than one additional season, the player shall have the right to declare himself an Unrestricted Free Agent as set forth above at the end of the League Year following the League Year in which he is waived and awarded." http://sportsbusinessdigest.com/the-nfl-collective-bargaining-agreement-week-4/

That doesn't specifically say they are allowed, but it implies that players have them.

Even Larry Fitzgerald appears to have one. "The renegotiated contract of Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald is actually a five-year deal. Although widely reported as a four-year contract through 2011, a league source has provided Scout.com with documents that indicate that Fitzgerald actually agreed to a four-year extension through 2012 that can be voided after the 2011 season. The move allowed Arizona to lower his annual cap hit by roughly a million dollars per year by extending it out to 2012. In addition to a no-trade clause throughout the term of the deal, the team is also prohibited from using the franchise or transition tag on Fitzgerald at the end of this contract if they ......." http://ind.scout.com/2/754991.html

I can't find anything that says they're not allowed. If, in fact, they're not, then never mind. :D

silkamilkamonico
03-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Can you show me where they are prohibited? It's not that I don't believe you, I have just never heard that before. In fact, I found a web site that talks about the collective bargaining agreement that says in part "However, if such player is claimed and awarded, he shall have the option to declare himself an Unrestricted Free Agent at the end of the League Year in question if he has a no-trade clause in his Player Contract. If such player does not have a no-trade clause and the Player Contract being awarded through waivers covers more than one additional season, the player shall have the right to declare himself an Unrestricted Free Agent as set forth above at the end of the League Year following the League Year in which he is waived and awarded." http://sportsbusinessdigest.com/the-nfl-collective-bargaining-agreement-week-4/

That doesn't specifically say they are allowed, but it implies that players have them.

Even Larry Fitzgerald appears to have one. "The renegotiated contract of Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald is actually a five-year deal. Although widely reported as a four-year contract through 2011, a league source has provided Scout.com with documents that indicate that Fitzgerald actually agreed to a four-year extension through 2012 that can be voided after the 2011 season. The move allowed Arizona to lower his annual cap hit by roughly a million dollars per year by extending it out to 2012. In addition to a no-trade clause throughout the term of the deal, the team is also prohibited from using the franchise or transition tag on Fitzgerald at the end of this contract if they ......." http://ind.scout.com/2/754991.html

I can't find anything that says they're not allowed. If, in fact, they're not, then never mind. :D

You're right. I was wrong. I was listening to the thread at the other board and they were saying it wasn't legal. I didn't do my homework.

Regardless, extending Cutler, and then putting a trade clause like that it would be a big mistake, IMHO. He isn't untouchable, and his me first perception, which is my opinion, doesn't help his cause at all.

TXBRONC
03-07-2009, 05:48 PM
If the Broncos see Cutler as their long-term QB, they should extend him AND offer him a "no-trade" clause. That's not to give in to him, but to show him their commitment and get his heart back into this team. Whether you agree with Cutler's response or not, if you're a Broncos' fan you don't want him to let any negative feelings affect his play on the field.

I don't see McDaniels and Xanders doing anything like that.

getlynched47
03-07-2009, 05:54 PM
too early to extend Cutler IMO...

I wouldnt wait until the end of his contract year, but it's just way too early to reward the guy for being a cry baby about the situation.

spikerman
03-07-2009, 05:59 PM
You're right. I was wrong. I was listening to the thread at the other board and they were saying it wasn't legal. I didn't do my homework.

Regardless, extending Cutler, and then putting a trade clause like that it would be a big mistake, IMHO. He isn't untouchable, and his me first perception, which is my opinion, doesn't help his cause at all.

No worries and I wasn't calling you out or anything. I really wasn't sure. As far as I knew you could have been 100% right. It just took me by surprise because I had never heard that before.

Anyway, I understand what you're feeling about Cutler. Personally, I think he is understandably upset. Not necessarily that the Broncos tried to trade him, but the way the organization handled it. I have yet to figure out what they're doing with all of free agency unless it's to sign as many of the oldest veteran players they can find and hope some of them stick. I don't think they've handled the player personnel aspect very well at all under McD and Xanders. It sure would be nice to have the Goodmans back, but that's another thread I guess.

silkamilkamonico
03-07-2009, 06:06 PM
No worries and I wasn't calling you out or anything. I really wasn't sure. As far as I knew you could have been 100% right. It just took me by surprise because I had never heard that before.

No, if I call others out when they post incorrect info, I expect the same for myself.

My deal with Cutler isn't his record, or his perception. I would just like to see a more positive leader from him in certain situations. The best leaders spin a negative situation into a positive one in the media, regardless of how negative it is. He'll learn.

Lonestar
03-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Time for Mc Baby to prove his new boss he is worth the money so who cares if Simms makes more HE was happy to sign a 6 years contract 3 years ago. Time earns the cash he has in the bank

bullis26
03-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Nice article.....
but I don't think the broncos need to do a damn thing for Cutler.....why reward a guy.....(who hasn't accomplished a whole lot in the short time he has been here....besides personal stats)....just because he was unhappy about being shopped ???

I will use Curt Warner as an example....but there have been many others.........it is ok for him to look elsewhere....and hell.....even take a physical for another team......but instead....he opted to stay at Arizona....I wonder why that is o.k.:confused:

because they offered warner a contract he just wanted more money and he was trying to gain leverage but the cards called his bluff, and if that article is true than thats complete BS simms im not going to say has been horrible but he's done nothing close to cutler, idk if thats true though because thats the first time ive ever heard that and if it is true than cutler should be pissed, and thatd be BS, im not saying its not though i just really hope it is

broncophan
03-08-2009, 04:40 PM
because they offered warner a contract he just wanted more money and he was trying to gain leverage but the cards called his bluff, and if that article is true than thats complete BS simms im not going to say has been horrible but he's done nothing close to cutler, idk if thats true though because thats the first time ive ever heard that and if it is true than cutler should be pissed, and thatd be BS, im not saying its not though i just really hope it is

Yea.....there is nothing wrong with a player trying to better themselves, by trying to get more money.

That works both ways though......there is nothing wrong with a team shopping their players....it doesn't matter who that player is....

atwater27
03-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Nice article.....

Can you help me clean the vomit on my computer screen?

bullis26
03-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Yea.....there is nothing wrong with a player trying to better themselves, by trying to get more money.

That works both ways though......there is nothing wrong with a team shopping their players....it doesn't matter who that player is....

agreed, not one player is above the team, and the broncos now know that with the trade talks involving cutler (which were blown way out of porportion

silkamilkamonico
03-08-2009, 05:55 PM
agreed, not one player is above the team, and the broncos now know that with the trade talks involving cutler (which were blown way out of porportion

Jay Cutler is. Jay Cutler is the greatest below .500 QB to ever play the game.

:D

topscribe
03-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Jay Cutler is. Jay Cutler is the greatest below .500 QB to ever play the game.

:D

You're absolutely right there, Silk. Because of that, had Cutler a decent
defense, he would have been well above .500 and in the playoff two years
running. That is the opinion of several knowledgeable people.

-----

MOtorboat
03-08-2009, 06:25 PM

-----

Those knowledgeable people also understand that he needs to read defenses better and manage the game better. They also understand he needs to grow up.

silkamilkamonico
03-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Those knowledgeable people also understand that he needs to read defenses better and manage the game better. They also understand he needs to grow up.

Also, the knowledgeable people have stated he needs to limit his turnovers, become a better team leader by example, and step up and play well when the team's back is against the wall, such as big games towards the end of the season to clinch the division title.

The team leader one seems to be the most important aspect of Cutler's game that he really needs to improve, according to the knowledgeable ones. He's like the freshmen "gift" on a high school team that hasn't matured enough to understand just how important he is, or how to use his leadership abilities. The problem for Cutler is he's hardly a rookie in the NFL.

TXBRONC
03-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Time for Mc Baby to prove his new boss he is worth the money so who cares if Simms makes more HE was happy to sign a 6 years contract 3 years ago. Time earns the cash he has in the bank

He has been earning his pay unlike the defense and the special teams. :coffee:

atwater27
03-08-2009, 07:38 PM

Knowledgeable people also know that he has been getting better every single year. And he is still young. And life is about growing up.

MOtorboat
03-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Knowledgeable people also know that he has been getting better every single year. And he is still young. And life is about growing up.

Not gonna disagree.

He has gotten better every year. Now its time to win.

Simple Jaded
03-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Cutler has 3 years left on his contract, it is against team policy to renegotiate with players with more than one, IIRC, they made Elway wait, they made Terrell Davis wait.......if they do not make Cutler wait it'll just make McDenials F-up look even more pathetic. I just do not see this happening.

As a matter of fact, combine the fact that Denver will not be noticeably better on defense any time soon (a 4-12ish record is a distinct possibility, for which Cutler will no doubt take the blame) with the fact that Jay Cutler will be due a 4 million roster bonus in 2010 and a 12 million roster bonus in 2011, and I believe that Jay Cutler's days in Denver are numbered.

Josh McDenials Era = Whirlpool of Bullshit.......

Dean
03-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Not gonna disagree.

If he can win all by himself, he will be one part all-pro QB, one part D-lineman/LB, and one part special teams return/coverage ace. Now, there's a player! ;)

atwater27
03-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Not gonna disagree.

There was only one John Elway. A QB can't win by himself in this era.

MOtorboat
03-08-2009, 10:07 PM
If he can win all by himself, he will be one part all-pro QB, one part D-lineman/LB, and one part special teams return/coverage ace. Now, there's a player! ;)

QBs win football games. That's how they are judged. Sucks to be them.

TXBRONC
03-08-2009, 10:38 PM

Even John didn't win all by himself. The defense he had was immensely better than the one Jay had.

warcrychief
03-09-2009, 02:44 AM
Redoing his contract right now is foolish. All for his hurt feelings..PFFT! This is not Madden ppl.

Dirk
03-09-2009, 06:51 AM

No way do you have the back-up make more than the starter. Give Jay the contract. Wether it is team policy not to or not. You have to make it right IMO! :coffee:

Dirk
03-09-2009, 06:55 AM

-----

Agreed!

Last 3 games were NOT Cutler's fault. It was the Defense' fault.

Carolina - Loss 10-30 Where was the Defense?
Buffalo - Loss 23-30 Close but the Defense Gave the game away.
San Diego - Loss 21-52 No way is this Cutler's fault. Did we have a Defense?

Dirk
03-09-2009, 06:56 AM

When the entire game is on your shoulders and YOU are the only hope the team has to win a game. Those mistakes will ALWAYS be there. Can't blame him for TRYING to win those games.

Dirk
03-09-2009, 06:57 AM

Elway was in a league of his own. But, John had much better defenses than what Cutler has had.

Dirk
03-09-2009, 06:59 AM
Redoing his contract right now is foolish. All for his hurt feelings..PFFT! This is not Madden ppl.

We have a Pro-Bowl QB on the team with immense talent. McKid will "hone" those skills and we will see a much improved Cutler over the next few years.

Redo his contract. Make it right. We all know (even though McKid denies it) that he was after his boy Cassell. So Make it right.

warcrychief
03-11-2009, 03:32 AM
We have a Pro-Bowl QB on the team with immense talent. McKid will "hone" those skills and we will see a much improved Cutler over the next few years.

Redo his contract. Make it right. We all know (even though McKid denies it) that he was after his boy Cassell. So Make it right.

You think that maybe that conferance call made everything right? i bet knocking between walls will do wonders lol this is classic lol just McNificent!

fcspikeit
03-11-2009, 05:22 AM
Our NE boy long snapper is making more then our starting C, Why not pay the backup QB more then the starter? I'm sure somewhere in McKids head this makes sense.. :tsk:

Hell I think the LS is almost making as much as Cutler is... Pretty pathetic for a guy who didn't even improve the position.. Some here might want to say Xman works the contracts but somehow I doubt Xman went all out to dump an equally skilled player to pay his replacement a record contract :laugh:

Shazam!
03-11-2009, 09:25 AM
Greg Kragen was a HoF DLineman compared to anything the Broncos have had the last two seasons.

TXBRONC
03-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Greg Kragen was a HoF DLineman compared to anything the Broncos have had the last two seasons.

Shoot for that matter so was Kenny Walker (the deaf defensive end we had) and Mike Croel.