PDA

View Full Version : Better pass rush from middle of D-line should be a Broncos priority

Denver Native (Carol)
01-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Today's question about the Broncos comes from John Irwin:

Q: When was the last time the Broncos had a really good pass-rushing defensive line? How many defensive positions must be upgraded during the offseason/draft/free agency periods for the defense to be much improved?

A: John, most defensive coaches will tell you that a consistent, productive pass rush can't be measured with just sack totals. Often, however, those are the same defensive coaches who don't have very high sack totals at that moment.

But in the big picture that is true. Consistent pressure, making quarterbacks uncomfortable in a variety of situations, is more than just sacks.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19829808

CoachChaz
01-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Brockers/Cox

TXBRONC
01-27-2012, 05:00 PM
I meant to post this article earlier today but got side tracked. Back in the preseason it became evident pretty quick that if Dumervil and Miller could stay healthy they were going present problems for offensive lines. Sliding protection to one side or the other would be playing with fire. The problem was going to be what kind of pressure can we get up middle quarterbacks like Brady would just step up in the pocket. Obviously that proved to be true. While our defensive tackles preformed admirably imo it's still needs an up grade.

CoachChaz
01-27-2012, 05:22 PM
I like Bunk/Warren/Thomas...but we need a pass rushing threat on the inside as well.

I also like taking a chance on Akiem Hicks in a later round. If he can learn and pans out, he can create serious problems for OL's. 6'6", 324 lbs. sub 5 40 time. 84 inch wingspan

Superchop 7
01-27-2012, 05:25 PM
It would have been nice if they stunted once in awhile with what they had, Miller or Doom or safety could have looped under it and there is your up the gut passrush, it's a good playcall in obvious passing situations.

Confuse and overload.

NightTerror218
01-27-2012, 05:47 PM
I like Bunk/Warren/Thomas...but we need a pass rushing threat on the inside as well.

I also like taking a chance on Akiem Hicks in a later round. If he can learn and pans out, he can create serious problems for OL's. 6'6", 324 lbs. sub 5 40 time. 84 inch wingspan

If Warren comes back strong and we draft a UT Thomas could go else where.

Ziggy
01-28-2012, 07:40 PM
The Broncos don't necessarily need a penetrating DT. If they want to bring in the big boys now that JDR is here, collapsing the pocket works just as well.