PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' draft board will see a lot of changes before April 26 arrives

Denver Native (Carol)
01-26-2012, 11:06 PM
MOBILE, Ala. — When it comes to the NFL draft, the Broncos have made their first list. They will be checking it more than twice.

"We had our December meetings. We set our first (draft) board from the fall evaluations," Broncos general manager Brian Xanders said. "Now we're at the point where we have started the cross-check."

That means before the April 26 start of the three-day, seven-round draft, the Broncos' draft board will see a lot of changes.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19822111

SiouxperBronco
01-27-2012, 03:17 AM
I'm wondering if we're gonna take a quarterback in the first round.....

UnderArmour
01-27-2012, 08:02 AM
I'm wondering if we're gonna take a quarterback in the first round.....

We're not going to take a quarterback in the first round. I could see us spending a 3rd or 4th on Weeden(28 years old but has first round talent) as insurance but other than that, no way. Tannehill is not worth a first round pick; he will be a bust in the NFL. Let some other NFL team suffer through that. 0% chance we go QB. Zero. No value there in the first round.

We need help in the secondary badly. We need another RB. We need help at DT and at DE; the Giants have proven that you can never have too many good DEs and DTs on your roster. JPP, Osi, Kiwi, and Tuck to rotate in just isn't even fair. We also need a MLB who isn't a liability in coverage.

TXBRONC
01-27-2012, 08:13 AM
We're not going to take a quarterback in the first round. I could see us spending a 3rd or 4th on Weeden(28 years old but has first round talent) as insurance but other than that, no way. Tannehill is not worth a first round pick; he will be a bust in the NFL. Let some other NFL team suffer through that. 0% chance we go QB. Zero. No value there in the first round.

We need help in the secondary badly. We need another RB. We need help at DT and at DE; the Giants have proven that you can never have too many good DEs and DTs on your roster. JPP, Osi, Kiwi, and Tuck to rotate in just isn't even fair. We also need a MLB who isn't a liability in coverage.

If there is quarterback that's worth it I could see them pulling the trigger. I'm not banking on it but since draft philosophy is bpa that to me means they take the quarterback or move out of that spot if possible.

CoachChaz
01-27-2012, 08:48 AM

I wish my crystal ball would give me such definitive answers. Unfortunately...like everyone else...I am left to speculate.

UnderArmour
01-27-2012, 08:54 AM
I wish my crystal ball would give me such definitive answers. Unfortunately...like everyone else...I am left to speculate.

Well you watched the Aggies last year... I don't want a quarterback who perennially chokes in the second half and comes up short in close games after what we went through with Orton. That's exactly what Tannehill is, I do not want that anywhere near this roster again. His talent level is nowhere near RG3 or Andrew Luck and he clearly doesn't have the "it" that Tebow has.

When I say Weeden has first round talent, I'm referring to:
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-10/nfl-mock-draft/story/brandon-weeden-solidifies-draft-status

1. Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State, 6-3, 219, 5.00 (South Squad)Weeden saved his best day for the final padded practice. He displayed outstanding arm strength, making great throws with excellent accuracy. He showed excellent touch on a fade route into the end zone and the ability to squeeze passes between defenders. It was clear from this week of practice that Weeden was the best quarterback in Mobile and has legit first-round talent.

NightTerror218
01-27-2012, 12:34 PM
I like that they have alerts for football issues and off-field issues. They look for quality players all around and not just athletic freaks.

wayninja
01-27-2012, 01:12 PM
I'm more excited about the draft this year than I have been previously. For some reason, despite the draft class, I feel like this years draft will be more influential than most.

Superchop 7
01-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Foles should be on their radar.

He is gonna rise up the boards.

CoachChaz
01-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Well you watched the Aggies last year... I don't want a quarterback who perennially chokes in the second half and comes up short in close games after what we went through with Orton. That's exactly what Tannehill is, I do not want that anywhere near this roster again. His talent level is nowhere near RG3 or Andrew Luck and he clearly doesn't have the "it" that Tebow has.

When I say Weeden has first round talent, I'm referring to:
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-10/nfl-mock-draft/story/brandon-weeden-solidifies-draft-status

I'm with you...except here's what one learns from watching A&M every week.

1. Tannehill wasnt the problem in the 2nd half of games. Sherman was. His play calling was ridiculous...especially in games when he had both of his 1000 yard backs available and chose to pass instead of eating up clock.

2. Tannehill has all of 18 games total experience under his belt. Until he was named starter midway through 2010, he was a WR. Considering his lack of experience, I think he did pretty damn well.

Now I'm not going to sit here and profess he'll be a future star, but he certainly has the potential and ability to be a very good QB. He's easily more talented than Christian Ponder and Andy Dalton and in today's NFL...that's pretty much all the skill you need to be a good QB.

At the end of the day, I dont want us to draft a QB at all this year. Sign a vet, let TT show what he can do and if it fails, get one from the deep 2013 class.

But dont be shocked if Tannehill ends up being a good QB. He needs a few seasons to learn some more, but he definitely has the ability

Denver Native (Carol)
01-27-2012, 02:46 PM
I like that they have alerts for football issues and off-field issues. They look for quality players all around and not just athletic freaks.

This is one of the things that impressed me the most. They not only have lists, but they sit down with the athletics to get the exact story.

from article:

Their initial draft board includes what the Broncos call "character alerts" in the rankings. They're divided into two categories — football character and personal character. Football character is concerns about a player's work ethic, practice habits, the ability to learn or the ability to play with discipline. Personal character is concerns about off-the-field behavior, including arrests and academic issues.

"We've got all the alerts up, the things that have come up with the scouts as they have worked their areas," Xanders said. "Now we go about making sure we have all the information we feel like we need on those things. We will also ask the players to explain what happened. It helps us prepare for the interviews with the players. Some of them, we're going to look at how they answer for some things and see how accountable they are for some things that have come up."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19822111

HammeredOut
01-28-2012, 05:30 PM
If he is still sitting around at the end of the 1st.. I think we should take a shot at Zach Brown. He is has the potential to be one of the great ones out of this draft. He is a LB that runs like a CB. ZB will not be sitting around by the end of the 2nd round. If we do take ZB, it would be one of the best LB tandems in the NFL between ZB and Von. With his speed alone he is easily the best coverage LB in the draft. Eats up the screens, gets sideline to sideline. If ZB is available, thats who we need to take. If ZB is not around, we then need RB, if RBs go fast in the 1st this year, what about L. James.

nevcraw
01-29-2012, 01:13 AM
I will be pretty pissed if we waste a 1st rounder on a qb when the needs are greater, much greater elsewhere.. despite what a few naysayers think A qb is built in about 4 years on avg. and ours is just starting his maturation process.. Be plenty BU QB's available in FA.
Meanwhile, Mike LB, DT, OC, and D backs are real needs. worthy and burfict would be great additions with 25th pick.

VonSackemMiller
01-29-2012, 01:25 AM
I want jenoris jenkings in the first round. After that ho bpa untill round 4, then draft for specific need

VonSackemMiller
01-29-2012, 01:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsHc2hr6nPo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Jenkings in round one,would make my day.

Joel
01-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Yeah, considering what will be available at our pick, all the other places we desperately need help, and the fact drafting a QB in the first round would just add another ring to the existing circus, I can't see it happening.

You deserve a high five just for saying "DT and DE" instead of "DL," like ends and tackles are interchangeable; a lot of guys can play both, but many more are very good as one and terrible as the other. I'm not sure we NEED more than depth at DE, but we still don't have a truly dominating DT. However, I think we actually need interior OFFENSIVE linemen far more, and wouldn't be surprised if we took one, or even two, early.

We desperately need help in our secondary though; it hasn't been this bad since we first got Champ from the Skins. Cornerback is one of the positions where rookie players are often ready from the start, and I expect us to take one early, again, possibly more than one if we opt to replace Dawkins with Champ, in which case we have two starting CB spots to fill (the thought of re-signing Goodman now that his contract is up horrifies me.)

How soon a rookie can start is a big factor; we DO need a Mike who's not a liability in coverage, and reads offensive plays/formations so he makes the right defensive audibles--but I don't expect any of this years rookies to do that before about 2015. Put it this way: I wouldn't start a rookie defensive QB any sooner than a rookie offensive one. I hope we sign a FA Mike rather than drafting one (I mean, we can draft one, but not to start next season; see: Irving, Nate. ;)) In that respect, drafting a DT might make more sense than drafting a G, but MLB does not, at least to me.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-29-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm with you...except here's what one learns from watching A&M every week.

He's easily more talented than Christian Ponder and Andy Dalton and in today's NFL...that's pretty much all the skill you need to be a good QB.

I know little about Tannehill, but I just can't figure out what makes you say that. Ponder and Dalton were 4 year starters who won many more games than they lost. Ponder had an injury history and it still didn't keep him out of the first round. Dalton is a pro-bowl alternate.

Both guys are pretty good passers and athletic enough to get outside the pocket when needed. Saying Tannehill is "easily more talented" than two guys who were 1st/2nd round picks and did pretty well for rookies their first year is putting him on a pedestal with the likes of Andrew Luck. I don't think anyone is saying that about Tannehill except you...