PDA

View Full Version : Nice piece on Woodyard -- Spanos Rant: A Good Guy Who Should Finish First

Tned
01-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Good piece by Spano on Wesley Woodyard

A GOOD GUY WHO SHOULD FINISH FIRST
Wesley Woodyard deserves to be the starter in Denver
By Brandon Spano

Throughout this season, I had an opportunity to meet and build a relationship with one of the finest human beings that I have or will ever talk to. He’s humble, he’s funny and he shows respect to those around him. Football is his love, but kids are his passion. His family is his backbone and his relationship with his religion has no bounds.

The experts have bet against Wesley Woodyard and he has proven most of them wrong. Even though he was a three-time All-SEC selection at Kentucky, he was told that at 6-foot-1, 229 pounds, he was too small to play in the NFL. The draft came and went. Woodyard never heard his name called. Based on what I know of him, he probably didn’t blink an eye. He knew someone would give him the same shot that Kentucky did and when he received that opportunity, he would capitalize.

The Denver Broncos were that someone. Woodyard was invited to camp and like usual, he made heads turn. He became the special teams captain as a rookie and quickly moved up the depth chart. By November, he was positioned right behind former first-round pick D.J. Williams and was one play away from being a starter.

You know how the story goes, the starter goes down and Woodyard got his chance. And just like in the movies, he made the most of it. On Nov. 6, 2008 against the Cleveland Browns, the guy that was too small to get drafted recorded 10 tackles in the first start of his career.

Eventually D.J. Williams would get healthy and take his starting spot back; this back and forth has been the story of Woodyard’s career so far. D.J. goes out, Wood comes in and plays great. But as soon as Williams gets healthy, Woodyard is on the bench.

That hasn’t fazed him. In fact, he’s the only player since the great Rick Upchurch to be named a captain four times in his first four years as a Bronco. He’s never complained....

Read Brandon's full article on Woodyard here: http://www.milehighsports.com/?p=8378

cuzz4169
01-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Nice article. IMO it would be a mistake to let Wood walk. I agree I would trade DJ get the pic or pics. Wood is a star waiting to burst. When he was starting for DJ he was tops in the league in tackles. He can do as much or more as DJ at the WLB position.

Tned
01-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Nice article. IMO it would be a mistake to let Wood walk. I agree I would trade DJ get the pic or pics. Wood is a star waiting to burst. When he was starting for DJ he was tops in the league in tackles. He can do as much or more as DJ at the WLB position.

DJ had a real good year after being moved back to the weak side. FWIW, Woodyard led the Broncos in tackles for most of the year, even with his spot/rotational play.

Now, leading a team, or league, in tackles isn't always an indication of good play, which was often pointed out when DJ was among the league leaders in tackles.

cuzz4169
01-26-2012, 03:43 PM
DJ had a real good year after being moved back to the weak side. FWIW, Woodyard led the Broncos in tackles for most of the year, even with his spot/rotational play.

Now, leading a team, or league, in tackles isn't always an indication of good play, which was often pointed out when DJ was among the league leaders in tackles.

I agree with ya on the tackles. I was just pointing out a fact. DJ did have a solid yr, solid not exceptional. I think Wood as a full time player could be an all-pro type player. DJ is an above avg player, always has been an always will be.

NightTerror218
01-26-2012, 03:46 PM

Ya but Dj came in swinging with several FF and sags. He won several games for us stepping up when needed. Woodyard was a tackling maching but so was DJ. I prefer DJ because he is a play maker on defense.

Dj 13 games, 5 sacks, 3 FF, 5 stuffs, 2 PD. 90 tackles 70 solo
Woodyard 15 games 3 FF 1 stuff, 2 PD 97 tackles 67 solo

Tned
01-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Ya but Dj came in swinging with several FF and sags. He won several games for us stepping up when needed. Woodyard was a tackling maching but so was DJ. I prefer DJ because he is a play maker on defense.

Ideally, you have both of them on the field at the same time, but I don't think either one of them is an ideal MLB, so it probably does come down to a choice between them in terms of the base defense.

NightTerror218
01-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Ideally, you have both of them on the field at the same time, but I don't think either one of them is an ideal MLB, so it probably does come down to a choice between them in terms of the base defense.

If we had a 3-4 I would put 1 at OLB, 1 ILB, get another ILB that would be ideal and Von at other OLB. Woodyard is solid though.

wayninja
01-26-2012, 05:11 PM
For those of us that don't evaluate Defensive play very well unless it's glaringly obvious, how has Woodyard done this season?

Superchop 7
01-26-2012, 05:27 PM
I always thought he should be a safety, or, perhaps a SAM if they have a TE like Gronkowski. (Woodyard has the wheels)

He is a guy you want on the field, sitting on the bench does us no good.

NightTerror218
01-26-2012, 05:41 PM
I always thought he should be a safety, or, perhaps a SAM if they have a TE like Gronkowski. (Woodyard has the wheels)

He is a guy you want on the field, sitting on the bench does us no good.

i have heard a lot of people mention safety with him.

CoachChaz
01-26-2012, 05:45 PM
He was a safety in college. but I think that ship has sailed. He's too big now and hasnt played the position in a few years.

bcbronc
01-26-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm not as big a fan of Woodyard the player as some on the board, but it might just be he doesn't fit his role. I don't see him as a good nickle LB, despite being a former S coverage isn't his strong suit.

He'd probably be better as a starting WLB where his speed can chase plays down. No way you can start Doom and Woodyard on the same side though.

cuzz4169
01-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Woodyard played safety some his freshman yr in college that's it..that's like saying DJ was a fullback in college.