PDA

View Full Version : New Raiders coach free to name his own assistants

Denver Native (Carol)
01-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Although this is good for Allen - hope he does not take any Bronco assistants - offensive, defensive, special teams - :eek:

While general manager Reggie McKenzie and Dennis Allen were in Mobile, Ala., this week meeting, interviewing, negotiating and reaching an agreement for Allen to be the next Raiders head coach, Al Saunders was there watching.

Oakland's offensive coordinator is the one assistant still under contract, and he was scouting college players at Senior Bowl practices. Retaining Saunders would make a smooth transition for the Raiders' ninth-ranked offense, but Allen can pick his own staff, McKenzie said.

rest - http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/01/25/SP6C1MUI6C.DTL#ixzz1kYDQZQGJ

wayninja
01-26-2012, 01:27 PM
starting to suspect that the ability to hurt the Broncos was the most attractive thing on Allen's resume to the Raiders...

wayninja
01-26-2012, 01:38 PM
There is just something odd about this;

Raiders punter Shane Lechler, in Hawaii for the Pro Bowl, actually played college ball with Allen at Texas A&M.

GEM
01-26-2012, 01:40 PM
McDaniels went to high school with one of the defensive players on the Broncos when he was here. :laugh: Hope that points the Raiders in the same direction McDaniels did the Broncos.

Downward Baby!!! Just suck!

RebelRocker
01-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Although this is good for Allen - hope he does not take any Bronco assistants - offensive, defensive, special teams - :eek:

rest - http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/01/25/SP6C1MUI6C.DTL#ixzz1kYDQZQGJ

Unless he offers a position coach a promotion, he can't take anyone from the staff.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Unless he offers a position coach a promotion, he can't take anyone from the staff.

There would be opportunities for promotions - first DC, and OC, then lesser Bronco assistants now, taking on a bigger role with the Raiders.

NightTerror218
01-26-2012, 02:21 PM
There would be opportunities for promotions - first DC, and OC, then lesser Bronco assistants now, taking on a bigger role with the Raiders.

DC and OC are all considered assistants from my understanding. So while it is a promotion they are still assistants. Somone posted the rules that there are HC and assistants.

underrated29
01-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Oh please please please please please take Mccoy with you Dennis.

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Denver Native (Carol)
01-26-2012, 03:06 PM
DC and OC are all considered assistants from my understanding. So while it is a promotion they are still assistants. Somone posted the rules that there are HC and assistants.

Here is a breakdown of the Broncos' coaching staff - Fox - HC, three coordinators - OC, DC, ST, position coaches, and then assistants. I would assume that it would be considered a promotion if any one of the position coaches would be made a DC, OC, or ST coordinator, then if any of the assistant coaches would be made a position coach. If my thinking is correct, with Allen being the one to fill his coaching staff, he could take a handful of coaches from the Broncos.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/football-operations.html

RebelRocker
01-26-2012, 03:08 PM

Yeah, I pretty much just said that. LOL:lol:

NightTerror218
01-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Here is a breakdown of the Broncos' coaching staff - Fox - HC, three coordinators - OC, DC, ST, position coaches, and then assistants. I would assume that it would be considered a promotion if any one of the position coaches would be made a DC, OC, or ST coordinator, then if any of the assistant coaches would be made a position coach. If my thinking is correct, with Allen being the one to fill his coaching staff, he could take a handful of coaches from the Broncos.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/football-operations.html

can you find the rules and show me where assistants do not include DC, OC? From what I read they are assistant coaches and with LB, RB, DB, ect.

Do not assume.

NightTerror218
01-26-2012, 03:23 PM
NFL RULES ON ASSISTANT COACHES INTERVIEWING WITH OTHER TEAMS

Promotions

The NFL does not differentiate between levels of assistant coaches in its rules regarding their availability to interview with other teams. Whether the coach is a defensive line coach or an offensive coordinator, the rules are the same. If a team wishes to interview an assistant coach who is still under contract with another team for its head coaching position, the current team is required to give permission for the interview as long as it happens between the end of the team's season and March 1. After March 1, teams can still ask, but the current team is not obligated to give permission.

Read more: NFL Rules for Interviewing Assistant Coaches | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6742856_nfl-rules-interviewing-assistant-coaches.html#ixzz1kb7qfvYP

Lateral Move

An NFL team cannot interview an assistant coach who is under contract as an assistant with another team for the following season without the permission of his current organization. Teams will usually give permission upon request, particularly if a lower level coach is set to take an offensive or defensive coordinator position elsewhere, but the current team is not required to give permission.

Read more: NFL Rules for Interviewing Assistant Coaches | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6742856_nfl-rules-interviewing-assistant-coaches.html#ixzz1kb86rVM4

Rick
01-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Ya best Allen can do is request permission and it is up to us, not our assistants or Allen, if they get the chance to interview.

Now it might not be nice of us to deny a lower assistant a chance at a cord job we are still not obligated to do it.

Ziggy
01-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Ya best Allen can do is request permission and it is up to us, not our assistants or Allen, if they get the chance to interview.

Now it might not be nice of us to deny a lower assistant a chance at a cord job we are still not obligaitted to do .

If the Broncos start denying coaches the right to interview for higher positions elsewhere, no coach in the league is going to want to take a job in Denver at any level.

BroncoJoe
01-26-2012, 05:00 PM
If the Broncos start denying coaches the right to interview for higher positions elsewhere, no coach in the league is going to want to take a job in Denver at any level.

I think most coaches realize it's a division rival, thus the reason to deny.