PDA

View Full Version : Broncos not expected to Extend Marshall's Contract

Northman
03-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Brandon Marshall - WR Mar. 6 - 9:42 am et

The Broncos are not expected to pursue extending Brandon Marshall's contract pending the NFL's review of his latest arrest. Denver probably would've been aggressive had Marshall showed maturity this offseason, but instead he'll play 2009 at his current $2.198M salary. He'd be a restricted free agent in 2010 if the league goes to an uncapped year.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=den

LRtagger
03-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Guess we just added WR to our long list of draft needs.

Northman
03-06-2009, 10:15 AM
My thoughts exactly. Could be going there with the #12 if McD doesnt think there is any defensive guy worth taking there.

LRtagger
03-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Sure hope Crabtree falls. Maybe his foot injury will be a blessing for us.

skycoyote
03-06-2009, 10:24 AM
No biggy. His hands are average.

claymore
03-06-2009, 10:25 AM
We should have traded him... Hopefully we still do.

CoachChaz
03-06-2009, 10:25 AM
I guess get something for him while we can.

LRtagger
03-06-2009, 10:29 AM
The problem is before he got in trouble we wanted to extend his contract...now that he got in trouble again, not only did his stock drop tremendously but now we dont want him. He really screwed the pooch on this one...not only for himself, but for the entire organization.

Hopefully when the details of the arrest are revealed this won't be such a huge issue. But if he is facing a lengthy suspension good luck trading him...especially when the rest of the league knows he will be a RFA next year.

Shazam!
03-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Whatever. He'll never grow up. WR is a need Denver can fill.

turftoad
03-06-2009, 11:05 AM
The problem is before he got in trouble we wanted to extend his contract...now that he got in trouble again, not only did his stock drop tremendously but now we dont want him. He really screwed the pooch on this one...not only for himself, but for the entire organization.

Hopefully when the details of the arrest are revealed this won't be such a huge issue. But if he is facing a lengthy suspension good luck trading him...especially when the rest of the league knows he will be a RFA next year.

I wouldn't say we don't want him.

I think we're not going to extend him while he's STILL under contract until he shows he can grow up.

If he can, fine, we'll re sign him. If not, he goes to highest bidder.

tomjonesrocks
03-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Unless I have contract details wrong, you can keep the guy cheap for now and franchise him if you have to later. We won't get equal value in a trade for Marshall right now.

He shot himself in the foot--no need to make the problem worse by unloading him in a bad trade.

topscribe
03-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Anybody can get arrested. You can get arrested. I can get arrested. My
daughter was arrested for DUI, and she did not have a drop of alcohol or a
hint of drugs in her . . . all charges were finally dismissed.

All charges were quickly dismissed in BMarsh's case. That does not happen if
they have something on you. If they do, you are charged. Period.

Meanwhile, BMarsh is very active in community work and doing what he can to
be productive. Moreover, he is a phenomenal talent on the football field.

If this FO wants to throw him under the bus over something that ended up
going nowhere, then that would be another indication of their immaturity.

-----

MadMax
03-06-2009, 11:18 AM
While totally a result of his latest arrest I think this is a numbers move more than a sign that we don't want him. Lets face it, the reason to extend him now was to prevent him being able to get to free agency in a year and really bend us over a barrel in his contract. But we now have enough worries with his numb hand, dropped passes and legal problems that it warrants us waiting a year. Now the odds are slanted towards him requiring the same amount of money or less next year depending on how his dropped passes and legal problems fare over the coming season.

Ziggy
03-06-2009, 11:22 AM
We should have traded him... Hopefully we still do.

You're right Clay. In light of the new arrest and circumstances with Marshall, we're ot going to get much in return. He could be a bargaining chip to move around in the draft though, along with Sheff.

skycoyote
03-06-2009, 11:22 AM

be productive.

Moreover, he is a phenomenal talent on the football field. If this FO wants to
throw him under the bus over something that ended up going nowhere, then
that would be another indication of their immaturity.

-----

Your absolutely right. The police "nowadays" are the judge, jury and executioner on the spot since we lost our right to due process. They can arrest you for anything they want. They are the New World Order KGB.

topscribe
03-06-2009, 11:23 AM
While totally a result of his latest arrest I think this is a numbers move more than a sign that we don't want him. Lets face it, the reason to extend him now was to prevent him being able to get to free agency in a year and really bend us over a barrel in his contract. But we now have enough worries with his numb hand, dropped passes and legal problems that it warrants us waiting a year. Now the odds are slanted towards him requiring the same amount of money or less next year depending on how his dropped passes and legal problems fare over the coming season.

Let's can the "dropped passes" bit. BMarsh had all of 12 dropped passes,
while catching 104. Braylon Edwards, who so many think was such a phenom
last year, had 16 last year, while he has yet to catch more than 80 in a year.
This "dropped passes" thing is overblown.

-----

topscribe
03-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Your absolutely right. The police "nowadays" are the judge, jury and executioner on the spot since we lost our right to due process. They can arrest you for anything they want. They are the New World Order KGB.

We have to remember that an arrest is no more than a police officer's opinion.
That is why we have prosecutors to decide whether they will issue charges
and a court system to try the charges.

-----

Ziggy
03-06-2009, 11:27 AM

-----

I don't think they're throwing him under the bus Top. The fact that he was arrested means that he either did something again, or he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. How many times has he been arrested in the last 3 years? 4? It's ridiculous.

Even if these charges were dropped. He just doesn't have the maturity to stay away from people and places that he shouldn't be around. Are you going to give him millions when he can't stay out of trouble knowing that it could cost him millions? What do you think he's gonna do after he gets paid? Be more careful? Not likely.

Giving him a huge contract would put us in salary cap hell if he got in trouble again. For those who want to argue to give him an incentive laden contract, he's not going to do it. Why should he? Al Davis or Dan Snyder will give him millions in guaruntees without the opt out clauses.

drewloc
03-06-2009, 11:27 AM
and a court system to try the charge.

-----

Good call Top, it's just too bad that Goodell won't wait for a trial before dealing the NFL's punishment.

Ziggy
03-06-2009, 11:29 AM

-----

I might agree, if so many of them weren't drive killers that changed the momentum at critical times in the game.

CoachChaz
03-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Good call Top, it's just too bad that Goodell won't wait for a trial before dealing the NFL's punishment.

...and he shouldnt. I have a brother that is a speed junkie and sells and buys the stuff all the time and has for about 15 years. He has never been arrested once for this. So I should assume he is a good guy?

The bottom line is that if Goodell sees someone just cant stay away from trouble or troublesome people and situations, he'll do what he can to make sure they learn. Obviously, Marshall hasnt learned and I dont know that I want him to find out the hard way while collecting a few million from us. He has talent...but there will always be others.

CoachChaz
03-06-2009, 11:32 AM
I might agree, if so many of them weren't drive killers that changed the momentum at critical times in the game.

Let's not forget the fumbles

MadMax
03-06-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm as big a Marshall fan as anyone else but...

How many of his drops were on a third down or in the end zone or on passes that were right to him? All I know is last season for as many times as I was cheering Marshall there were just as many that I was screaming at my TV because I just watched a ball bounce off the palms of his hands. He is either off or on, all season he would go through stretches of one or two quarters where he couldn't catch anything. If he keeps playing like that he would still be a great option for a team to have, but not at elite receiver money which is what he would require right now.

topscribe
03-06-2009, 11:34 AM
I don't think they're throwing him under the bus Top. The fact that he was arrested means that he either did something again, or he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. How many times has he been arrested in the last 3 years? 4? It's ridiculous.

Even if these charges were dropped. He just doesn't have the maturity to stay away from people and places that he shouldn't be around. Are you going to give him millions when he can't stay out of trouble knowing that it could cost him millions? What do you think he's gonna do after he gets paid? Be more careful? Not likely.

Giving him a huge contract would put us in salary cap hell if he got in trouble again. For those who want to argue to give him an incentive laden contract, he's not going to do it. Why should he? Al Davis or Dan Snyder will give him millions in guaruntees without the opt out clauses.

Did you see anywhere that I advocated giving Marshall a "huge contract"?

I'm only trying to call for some reason here. As I said, an arrest is a cop's
opinion. If the charges are instantly dismissed, that is a categorical indicator
that the charges should not have been issued.

But this discussion is involving more than a big contract. It is calling for
dumping the young man. I'm not ready to do that. He has some growing up to
do, yes. He needs to learn to stay out of situations where he potentially can
incur problems, yes. But I'm not ready to throw him out the door.

-----

BigDaddyBronco
03-06-2009, 11:35 AM
and a court system to try the charges.

-----
Yea, but the NFL doesn't play by the same rules. There is no due process in the NFL. If you sniff trouble and Goodell doesn't like the evidence you can be gone for some games or maybe up to a year.

Let's also not give BMarsh a pass. He has had problems with altercations with women. If it was a one woman issue it would be one thing, but this is another woman now. Is he going to get violent one day and beat the shit out of one of these "ladies"? The league doesn't want to find out and the Broncos shouldn't either. I'm a big proponent on giving a guy a second chance or even a third chance, but at some point you have to cut ties.

Hopefully this isn't a big deal and Goodell gives him a break and BMarsh can continue his progress growing up, but there could be a problem even if the prosecutors dropped the charges.

elsid13
03-06-2009, 11:38 AM
It weird that people think that Goodell is going to suspend him. No charges were filed. Period. Marshall is still going to counselling and has become positive community presence.

If Marshall is suspend, I bet the union files a grievance and he playing the 1st week of the season.

CoachChaz
03-06-2009, 11:41 AM
It weird that people think that Goodell is going to suspend him. No charges were filed. Period. Marshall is still going to counselling and has become positive community presence.

If Marshall is suspend, I bet the union files a grievance and he playing the 1st week of the season.

All very likely scenarios, but in all honesty, wouldnt we rather the guy learn a lesson? Technicalities can keep getting him off the hook, but if it all just leads up to one big problem one day it's really not worth it

topscribe
03-06-2009, 11:42 AM

All dropped passes result in loss of down and yards. And all receivers drop
passes.

What changed the momentum in critical times was not a dropped pass. It was
the loss of poise in a team. All teams suffer from dropped passes. All teams
have fumbles. Check the stats. Some recover from them, and some don't.

Marshall's 12 dropped passes do not concern me. He can drop 12 a year from
now on, far as I'm concerned, if he continues to catch more than a 100 for
more than a 1,000.

His being in the wrong place at the wrong time is my concern. He's got to
learn not to do it. But that does not put him on the same level as a drug
pusher. He just lacks some maturity and wisdom at this time. That can be
overcome.

-----

BigDaddyBronco
03-06-2009, 11:43 AM

He doesn't have to have charges filed. Getting arrested is enough. BMarsh and his girl didn't want to press charges and their was no visible damage the DA didn't press charges. The NFL (and I think this is BS) doesn't care, because it is an image thing, if they feel it was bad conduct by BMarsh they will suspend him per the guidelines.

topscribe
03-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Yea, but the NFL doesn't play by the same rules. There is no due process in the NFL. If you sniff trouble and Goodell doesn't like the evidence you can be gone for some games or maybe up to a year.

Let's also not give BMarsh a pass. He has had problems with altercations with women. If it was a one woman issue it would be one thing, but this is another woman now. Is he going to get violent one day and beat the shit out of one of these "ladies"? The league doesn't want to find out and the Broncos shouldn't either. I'm a big proponent on giving a guy a second chance or even a third chance, but at some point you have to cut ties.

Hopefully this isn't a big deal and Goodell gives him a break and BMarsh can continue his progress growing up, but there could be a problem even if the prosecutors dropped the charges.

The found no bruises of signs or violence on the woman.

And I haven't reached that point.

-----

MadMax
03-06-2009, 11:44 AM
I think there are two good reasons to expect a suspension. First, Packman. I am not saying that BMarsh is another packman, but packman had all the charges dropped last year for that hotel incident, even had his bodyguard take all the blame, but he still got an indefinite suspension from Goodell. Second, Goodell wanted to suspend Marshall for four games. It was the appeal which was heard by someone else that got it reduced to two minus one for good behavior. Its reasonable to suspect that Goodell has got a grudge he might indulge against Marshall here.

elsid13
03-06-2009, 11:45 AM
All very likely scenarios, but in all honesty, wouldnt we rather the guy learn a lesson? Technicalities can keep getting him off the hook, but if it all just leads up to one big problem one day it's really not worth it

Since no one actually knows what happened, let not say he was the one that he was one causing the problem. If the report in DP was to believed it was the girlfriend that was the one that doing the punching and kicking. Remember she was thrown in jail too.

BigDaddyBronco
03-06-2009, 11:46 AM
The found no bruises of signs or violence on the woman.

And I haven't reached that point.

-----

True, but they got arrested because they got physical with each other in front of the cops. Maybe it was an over-reaction, it's not like the police don't make mistakes, but maybe they just didn't bruise.

CoachChaz
03-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Since no one actually knows what happened, let not say he was the one that he was one causing the problem. If the report in DP was to believed it was the girlfriend that was the one that doing the punching and kicking. Remember she was thrown in jail too.

I understand...but she isnt employed by the NFL and as far as the NFL is concerned, no one really cares about her history. Brandon is the ONLY one in this matter that is of concern to Goodell and the NFL and he obviously cant stay away from trouble...regardless of whose fault it is. Guilt by association is a reality

topscribe
03-06-2009, 11:50 AM
True, but they got arrested because they got physical with each other in front of the cops. Maybe it was an over-reaction, it's not like the police don't make mistakes, but maybe they just didn't bruise.

I'm not into speculation. I'm into what happened. The were both arrested
because in the cop's opinion they should be. The charges were dismissed
because in the prosecutor's or judge's opinion they should not have been.
That's all we know.

That's not enough to cause me to feel he should be jettisoned from the team.

-----

turftoad
03-06-2009, 11:51 AM
I understand...but she isnt employed by the NFL and as far as the NFL is concerned, no one really cares about her history. Brandon is the ONLY one in this matter that is of concern to Goodell and the NFL and he obviously cant stay away from trouble...regardless of whose fault it is. Guilt by association is a reality

Agreed. Marshall needs to worry about himself.

This last arrest, if I read right, happened at 5:30 AM. What the hell is he still doing out at clubs at that time??
He needs to learn that he needs to keep his P's and Q's and start doing the right thing.
It's all about doing the RIGHT THING and knowing wrong from right.

I think this is what Goodell is looking for. Taking responsibilty for your own actions.

skycoyote
03-06-2009, 11:53 AM
When Goodell fines players who gets the money?

CoachChaz
03-06-2009, 11:54 AM

This last arrest, if I read right, happened at 5:30 AM. What the hell is he still doing out at clubs at that time??
He needs to learn that he needs to keep his P's and Q's and start doing the right thing.

I think this is what Goodell is looking for. Taking responsibilty for your own actions.

I wont blame someone for going out and partying. hell, we all do it. But when your multi-million dollar future is on the line, you just arent using good judgement and that's the part I fear the most when it comes to him and players like him.

BigDaddyBronco
03-06-2009, 11:55 AM
That's all we know.

-----
I'm not saying he should be traded or cut. I'm saying that Goodell might suspend him 4 to 8 games from the info on the police report and an interview with BMarsh. That sucks.

But I'm also saying that the organization should keep this in mind when making a new deal with him (whenever that happens) and know that it is a risk and not overpay. Just like you would look at an injury risk or a bad team-mate risk. The same reasoning you can use to bring T.O. to the team if he is really cheap.

topscribe
03-06-2009, 11:56 AM

You asked the question, and it is a good one. What was he doing out there?
Was it out at the clubs, or was she out at the clubs and he was upset about
that?

I'm not assuming that was the case, because I don't know. But I hope
Gooddell looks below he surface and comes up with the right conclusions,
whatever they may be.

-----

MadMax
03-06-2009, 11:57 AM

We don't know they were at the club, maybe Brandon left the cap off the toothepaste again.:D

turftoad
03-06-2009, 11:57 AM
You asked the question, and it is a good one. What was he doing out there?
Was it out at the clubs, or was she out at the clubs and he was upset about
that?
I'm not assuming that was the case, because I don't know. But I hope
Gooddell looks below he surface and comes up with the right conclusions,
whatever they may be.

-----

Doesn't matter, HE was still there. Thats all Goodell cares about.

topscribe
03-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Doesn't matter, HE was still there.

Well, if my wife/fiancee were out at the clubs at that time, I would be there,
wondering what she's doing. Wouldn't you?

I'm not saying that's how it came down. I'm just saying we don't know yet.

-----

turftoad
03-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Well, if my wife/fiancee were out at the clubs at that time, I would be there,
wondering what she's doing. Wouldn't you?

I'm not saying that's how it came down. I'm just saying we don't know yet.

-----

You're probably right Top, I would be there.

That said, he should have someone else go with him if he didn't.

Also, if thats the case, he better find a new woman. Then again, with his history with women, maybe he should just leave them alone and learn to live alone for a while. Seems to be the cause of most of his trouble.

red98
03-06-2009, 12:16 PM
You're probably right Top, I would be there.

That said, he should have someone else go with him if he didn't.

Also, if thats the case, he better find a new woman. Then again, with his history with women, maybe he should just leave them alone and learn to live alone for a while. Seems to be the cause of most of his trouble.

I'm pretty sure this incident occured outside his condo. I don't think it had anything to do with clubs. Something like they were arguing, she tried to leave and he went to stop her so she wouldn't be walking around lost at 5:30 am.

Details are sketchy though, so who knows?

topscribe
03-06-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm pretty sure this incident occured outside his condo. I don't think it had anything to do with clubs. Something like they were arguing, she tried to leave and he went to stop her so she wouldn't be walking around lost at 5:30 am.

Details are sketchy though, so who knows?

That just shows how wrong we all can be. :D

But Turf and Coach are right, in that it's Gooddell's opinion that will count . . .

-----

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-06-2009, 12:20 PM
I thought that they were outside their condo. NOT at the club. I wouldn't be suprised if he is suspended for 8 games. Remember Marshalls Suspension came from an incident with a woman.

TXBRONC
03-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Guess we just added WR to our long list of draft needs.

Not necessarily. The way I read it they're putting hold a on talks but that doesn't mean they will not resume talks after this is over.

turftoad
03-06-2009, 12:25 PM
I thought that they were outside their condo. NOT at the club. I wouldn't be suprised if he is suspended for 8 games. Remember Marshalls Suspension came from an incident with a woman.

That one was outside of his condo too.

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-06-2009, 12:30 PM
That one was outside of his condo too.

LOL..thats not good

silkamilkamonico
03-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Marshall is one incident away from being kicked out of the league for a year +.

Great move by Denver in not handcuffing their organization with Marshall until he proves he can stay out of trouble.

They can always re-sign him, and I'm sure Marshall is fully aware, and completely understands the situation.

turftoad
03-06-2009, 12:32 PM

Great move by Denver in not handcuffing their organization with Marshall until he proves he can stay out of trouble.

They can always re-sign him, and I'm sure Marshall is fully aware, and completely understands the situation.

I don't know about that.

He's not smart enough to stay out of trouble, he may not be smart enough to understand this.

silkamilkamonico
03-06-2009, 12:35 PM
I don't know about that.

He's not smart enough to stay out of trouble, he may not be smart enough to understand this.

I'm trusting, as it's a business decision, that McDaniels explained it to him when they met, that Marshall has done this to himself and now has to prove a little more.

Then again, like you said, Marshall just may not be smart enough to figure it out.

NightTrainLayne
03-06-2009, 12:35 PM
That's all we know.

-----

I disagree with the bolded section there Top. She and he agreed not to press charges against each other. That certainly doesn't mean that the prosecutor or judge had the opinion that the arrest shouldn't have been made. For all we know, they wish that she had gone ahead and pressed the issue, but they didn't have enough to go it alone without her testimony.

topscribe
03-06-2009, 12:48 PM
I disagree with the bolded section there Top. She and he agreed not to press charges against each other. That certainly doesn't mean that the prosecutor or judge had the opinion that the arrest shouldn't have been made. For all we know, they wish that she had gone ahead and pressed the issue, but they didn't have enough to go it alone without her testimony.

You're right, of course. Thanks for pointing that out.

-----

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-06-2009, 12:48 PM

Or two away from lifetime ban

Fan in Exile
03-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Not necessarily. The way I read it they're putting hold on talks but that doesn't mean they will resume talks after this is over.

Way to read the link before posting TX. I'm amazed at how people have blown up over something that is still pending for crying out loud. We don't know what the NFL is going to rule, and we don't know how the Bronco's will respond after they make that ruling. For all we know the NFL won't do anything and talks will resume without a problem.

If something else happens let's worry about it then.

It's also amazing that Marshall has kept himself out of trouble for a year and yet people still want to bury him. The last time he was arrested was last march, so he's improved by leaps and bounds it takes a lot to change habits and patterns the fact that he's done so for a year is great.

As long as he's still going to counseling, and hopefully his fiancee as well, and he doesn't get in trouble again soon, he's way ahead of Pacman and Tank.

What did you guys expect after one suspension he was suddenly going to sprout wings and halo?

He's human and humans make mistakes, a year without problems shows that he's learned something from them and has improved. True he's still got some ways to go but let's give him credit for his progress.

Ziggy
03-06-2009, 12:56 PM
So going a year without getting arrested means he turned it around? Not buying in on that one. You give him all the credit you want for not going to jail for a year. It's just not that great of an accomplishment in my eyes.

topscribe
03-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Way to read the link before posting TX. I'm amazed at how people have blown up over something that is still pending for crying out loud. We don't know what the NFL is going to rule, and we don't know how the Bronco's will respond after they make that ruling. For all we know the NFL won't do anything and talks will resume without a problem.

It's also amazing that Marshall has kept himself out of trouble for a year and yet people still want to bury him. The last time he was arrested was last march, so he's improved by leaps and bounds it takes a lot to change habits and patterns the fact that he's done so for a year is great.

As long as he's still going to counseling, and hopefully his fiancee as well, and he doesn't get in trouble again soon, he's way ahead of Pacman and Tank.

What did you guys expect after one suspension he was suddenly going to sprout wings and halo?

He's human and humans make mistakes, a year without problems shows that he's learned something from them and has improved. True he's still got some ways to go but let's give him credit for his progress.

Nice comment. It shows some reason and compassion.

However, I will inject that I would hope BMarsh and the Broncos don't have
to go through this at about this time every year . . .

-----

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-06-2009, 12:59 PM

It would be foolish to think he wont be suspended. The commish will come down on players for RUN INS with the law...and a player doesn't have to be prosecuted to be suspended by the league. You are right humans make mistakes...his was losing out on BIG MONEY. An arrest after this one NO MATTER how little will result in a year long suspension.

DenBronx
03-06-2009, 01:10 PM
might as well just keep him. he's not going to get a huge contract, so we still get him on the team and it won't cost us an arm and a leg.

CoachChaz
03-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Hey mom, it's Brandon. Guess what? I went one WHOLE year without going to jail. I'm really turning into a model citizen.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, BRANDON!!!

NightTrainLayne
03-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Hey mom, it's Brandon. Guess what? I went one WHOLE year without going to jail. I'm really turning into a model citizen.

Did he go a year? I thought he got arrested in May. :laugh:

CoachChaz
03-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Did he go a year? I thought he got arrested in May. :laugh:

It's all irrelevant. Just the fact that we're discussing a guy who we cant remember when and how many times has been arrested and considering giving him a big contract is funny

Northman
03-06-2009, 01:29 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/LifeOnaPlate/gifs/seagull.gif

weazel
03-06-2009, 01:34 PM
well he will still be an RFA, if he is trouble, teams are not going to offer tons and also lose draft picks. We have the right to match the offer as well, no?

BroncoJoe
03-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Just one more thing for Cutler to piss and moan about...

topscribe
03-06-2009, 01:44 PM

There's always an element of truth in a good joke. :tsk:

-----

CoachChaz
03-06-2009, 02:35 PM
There's always an element of truth in a good joke. :tsk:

-----

I just think it's laughable that someone would even begin to try to excuse criminal behavior by saying someone hasnt been involved in anything in ONE WHOLE YEAR

getlynched47
03-06-2009, 02:45 PM
This information is being misinterpreted.

He will not be given a contract extension THIS SEASON, which was what he was looking for. He will enter 2010 as a restricted free agent, meaning we can match any offer on Marshall and have him signed long-term.

Marshall will remain a Bronco...........

topscribe
03-06-2009, 03:19 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/LifeOnaPlate/gifs/seagull.gif

The seagull version of Tatum Bell?

*Oh, that wasn't fair to Tater, I know. I just couldn't help myself*

-----

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-06-2009, 03:39 PM
The seagull version of Tatum Bell?

*Oh, that wasn't fair to Tater, I know. I just couldn't help myself*

-----

lmao I about spit my pepsi out

Lonestar
03-06-2009, 03:46 PM
well he will still be an RFA, if he is trouble, teams are not going to offer tons and also lose draft picks. We have the right to match the offer as well, no?

we attach a tender offer on him from 1st to 7th round pick IIRC, and we have a chance to match their contract..

Cugel
03-06-2009, 04:06 PM

-----

You're right TOP! I had an Assistant District Attorney in a domestic violence case in Arapahoe County tell me that "I prosecute these all the time just based on a police report!" (I.e. he was prepared to go to trial WITHOUT ANY WITNESSES!)

I surely wasn't going to let the defendant testify! And her boyfriend (the victim) was refusing to testify, so unless subpoenaed he wouldn't even show up and was not cooperating with the prosecution.

The ADA didn't care. They just mechanically go ahead to trial. It's a policy established by the Arap. County District Attorney himself. After 2 months they offered to plea down from a class 3 to a class 5 felony with stipulation to probation instead of jail time, which she accepted.

But, that tells me that if they dropped all charges in 48 hours they had ZERO case!

Now, that doesn't mean the league won't sanction Marshall, they probably will. But, it ought to limit the number of games he's suspended to maybe 3 tops (my wild guess, others think 8 games).

Cugel
03-06-2009, 04:13 PM
One more thing!

Since next year is NOT under the salary cap, all players who would become unrestricted FAs actually are restricted. Their teams can match any offers.

So, the Broncos could elect to keep Marshall and either franchise him, which would give him a salary equal to the average of the top 5 WRs in the NFL, or close to $9 million a year. Or else they could elect to match any first round tenders made by another team.

That might be cheaper. Most teams would be leery of signing Marshall to a long-term contract with a lot of guaranteed money since he'll be one strike away from a year suspension.

One more incident and his career may well be done. So you're taking a big risk of giving him a lot of up-front money.

I think Marshall stays in Denver and Denver either waits and gives him a new contract just prior to FA (assuming he hasn't been re-arrested) or else waits and matches any other teams' offer.

LRtagger
03-06-2009, 04:18 PM

He will not be given a contract extension THIS SEASON, which was what he was looking for. He will enter 2010 as a restricted free agent, meaning we can match any offer on Marshall and have him signed long-term.

I don't think it's being misinterpreted. We were in contract negotiations, and since his arrest they have ceased. That is pretty significant IMO.

If the FO is 100% confident they want Marshall for the long term, they wouldnt wait until next year to franchise him and sign his contract after the cap has been removed. They would sign his long-term deal now.

getlynched47
03-06-2009, 04:46 PM

One more thing!

Since next year is NOT under the salary cap, all players who would become unrestricted FAs actually are restricted. Their teams can match any offers.

So, the Broncos could elect to keep Marshall and either franchise him, which would give him a salary equal to the average of the top 5 WRs in the NFL, or close to $9 million a year. Or else they could elect to match any first round tenders made by another team.

That might be cheaper. Most teams would be leery of signing Marshall to a long-term contract with a lot of guaranteed money since he'll be one strike away from a year suspension.

One more incident and his career may well be done. So you're taking a big risk of giving him a lot of up-front money.

I think Marshall stays in Denver and Denver either waits and gives him a new contract just prior to FA (assuming he hasn't been re-arrested) or else waits and matches any other teams' offer.

yup...........:salute:

getlynched47
03-06-2009, 04:49 PM
I don't think it's being misinterpreted. We were in contract negotiations, and since his arrest they have ceased. That is pretty significant IMO.

If the FO is 100% confident they want Marshall for the long term, they wouldnt wait until next year to franchise him and sign his contract after the cap has been removed. They would sign his long-term deal now.

they dont have to franchise him. He'll be a restricted free agent. So he could sign an offer sheet with any team and we can match it. Regardless, Marshall is going to get paid, just not this season like what was going to happen.

Why would you reward an arrest? He was arrested, therefore he doesnt get his money NOW. That's the only reason the contract negotiations have ceased...its not like the Broncos will let Marshall walk...he's too good of a player. He will remain a Bronco regardless.....

WARHORSE
03-06-2009, 04:53 PM
In the end.....whether he signs this year or next..................his contract language is going to stipulate that bad behavior results in large monetary losses. It also means they will give him any signing boni in increments, stopping them from having to go to court to get their money back in case he screws up.

TXBRONC
03-06-2009, 04:54 PM

Thanks.

I think it's very possible that Marshall gets suspended but I still want to waite and see what happens. If he does get suspend he'll end up costing him in his next contract.

TXBRONC
03-06-2009, 05:03 PM
You're right TOP! I had an Assistant District Attorney in a domestic violence case in Arapahoe County tell me that "I prosecute these all the time just based on a police report!" (I.e. he was prepared to go to trial WITHOUT ANY WITNESSES!)

I surely wasn't going to let the defendant testify! And her boyfriend (the victim) was refusing to testify, so unless subpoenaed he wouldn't even show up and was not cooperating with the prosecution.

The ADA didn't care. They just mechanically go ahead to trial. It's a policy established by the Arap. County District Attorney himself. After 2 months they offered to plea down from a class 3 to a class 5 felony with stipulation to probation instead of jail time, which she accepted.

But, that tells me that if they dropped all charges in 48 hours they had ZERO case!

Now, that doesn't mean the league won't sanction Marshall, they probably will. But, it ought to limit the number of games he's suspended to maybe 3 tops (my wild guess, others think 8 games).

I think it real possiblity that Marshall could be suspended for as many as eight games, but I'm thinking it will be more like four games.

EMB6903
03-06-2009, 05:05 PM
depends what the reports are.... knowing Harvey it could be only 2

topscribe
03-06-2009, 05:12 PM

I forgot about you, Cug. Instead of popping off about it as a "layman," I should
have recalled we have an attorney who logs in here. I'll keep that in mind next
time and just defer to you. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

You will be interested in what a personal friend of mine, a Public Defender at
the time in Greeley (Colo.), once remarked: "Justice has nothing to do with it
in a court of law." I've seen enough that I often have to agree.

Sorry, everybody, for the off-topic comment. Now, :focus:

-----

TXBRONC
03-06-2009, 06:00 PM
I forgot about you, Cug. Instead of popping off about it as a "layman," I should
have recalled we have an attorney who logs in here. I'll keep that in mind next
time and just defer to you. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

You will be interested in what a personal friend of mine, a Public Defender at
the time in Greeley (Colo.), once remarked: "Justice has nothing to do with it
in a court of law." I've seen enough that I often have to agree.

Sorry, everybody, for the off-topic comment. Now, :focus:

-----

Isn't the personal conduct policy worded in such way that really doesn't matter the judicial system decides a case the League still reserves the right disciple players as they see fit?

SmilinAssasSin27
03-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Screw Marshall. Trade him for a mid/late #1...we'd get that much. Draft Maclin if Everette Brown is gone and then draft Cushing or Tyson jackson w/ the next pick.

broncohead
03-06-2009, 06:30 PM
I bet we wait to see if he gets suspended. If not we start extion talks again.

getlynched47
03-06-2009, 06:32 PM
I bet we wait to see if he gets suspended. If not we start extion talks again.

he's gonna get suspended........

EMB6903
03-06-2009, 06:40 PM
he's gonna get suspended........

just gotta hope its around 2 games only

still anxious to see what actually happened... Harvey said that MArshall shouldnt have even been booked in the first place.

we shall see what happens.

TXBRONC
03-06-2009, 06:41 PM

still anxious to see what actually happened... Harvey said that MArshall shouldnt have even been booked in the first place.

I would feel fortunate if it only four games.

getlynched47
03-06-2009, 06:42 PM

Roger Goodell doesnt have common sense...

this his how his mind works:

Marshall arrested

Marshall has been in my office once before

Therefore Marshall should be suspended
-------------------------------------------

He wont take into account that Marshall's lawyer said that he shouldnt have been arrested in the first place

EMB6903
03-06-2009, 06:44 PM

Marshall arrested

He wont take into account that Marshall's lawyer said that he shouldnt have been arrested in the first place

Im not saying he will care what the lawyer said, but he will definately look into the situation before making the suspension

getlynched47
03-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Im not saying he will care what the lawyer said, but he will definately look into the situation before making the suspension

I say 8 games is the minimum.......i really hope I'm wrong though

EMB6903
03-06-2009, 06:52 PM
8 games MAX, no way he gets more than that. Its not like this guy was the reason a person is paralyzed (pacman) or having illegal firearms in your house (tank) or punching a teenager in the face (Chris Henry)

omac
03-06-2009, 07:08 PM

-----

Marshall's a great talent, and is really trying to keep his act together, but it doesn't come that easy.

Why are we so quick to label our players as troublemakers or malcontents? These are our players. With Marshall, the charges were immediately dropped, which could mean many things, but why are we so quick to assume the worst? Why do we focus so much on the bad, and leave out all the good? Focus on the drops ... how about all the great catches? How about how he always gives 100%, takes a ton of hits, and always fights for the ball?

Why do we desperately want to unload extremely talented players? A little perspective will show that we have the makings of one of the most talented offenses in the league, and it's getting hacked up to fit a system, instead of the system trying to fully utilize great talent. Our players now are better than draft picks, because they are proven. When our offensive roster is filled with draft picks or FAs that prove to be average at best, then we'll really miss these players.

getlynched47
03-06-2009, 07:09 PM
8 games MAX, no way he gets more than that. Its not like this guy was the reason a person is paralyzed (pacman) or having illegal firearms in your house (tank) or punching a teenager in the face (Chris Henry)

No but because of all those idiots you mentioned...Goodell is going to be tougher on Marshall

SmilinAssasSin27
03-06-2009, 07:20 PM

Marshall arrested

WTF do you think Marshall's attorney is gonna say? It's Marshall's dumbass that gets HIMSELF in these messes in the first place. Goddell is finally someone in charge who has the balls to stand up to these overgrown babies/thugs. No common sense? To me, he makes more sense than anyone.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Marshall's a great talent, and is really trying to keep his act together, but it doesn't come that easy.

Why are we so quick to label our players as troublemakers or malcontents? These are our players. With Marshall, the charges were immediately dropped, which could mean many things, but why are we so quick to assume the worst? Why do we focus so much on the bad, and leave out all the good? Focus on the drops ... how about all the great catches? How about how he always gives 100%, takes a ton of hits, and always fights for the ball?

Why do we desperately want to unload extremely talented players? A little perspective will show that we have the makings of one of the most talented offenses in the league, and it's getting hacked up to fit a system, instead of the system trying to fully utilize great talent. Our players now are better than draft picks, because they are proven. When our offensive roster is filled with draft picks or FAs that prove to be average at best, then we'll really miss these players.

Boo f-ing HOO. Do you enjoy rooting for people who don't choose to follow the norms/rules of society? It's comical on a grand scale that you are more concerned with his catches and going over the middle than you are with how these people carry themselves in REAL LIFE. F him and his antics.

getlynched47
03-06-2009, 07:25 PM
WTF do you think Marshall's attorney is gonna say? It's Marshall's dumbass that gets HIMSELF in these messes in the first place. Goddell is finally someone in charge who has the balls to stand up to these overgrown babies/thugs. No common sense? To me, he makes more sense than anyone.

Goodell would suspend a player for litering in a park :coffee:

SmilinAssasSin27
03-06-2009, 07:27 PM
wow...excellent, well educated response.

FAIL

getlynched47
03-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Boo f-ing HOO

wow...excellent, well educated response.

FAIL

Now THAT is the most educated response I've ever seen :coffee:

EPIC FAIL.......

omac
03-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Boo f-ing HOO. Do you enjoy rooting for people who don't choose to follow the norms/rules of society? It's comical on a grand scale that you are more concerned with his catches and going over the middle than you are with how these people carry themselves in REAL LIFE. F him and his antics.

Nah, I just take a little perspective, look in the mirror, and know that I, like everyone else, have a ton of flaws that when shoved in the limelight can paint a bad picture of me. I'd rather give our players the benefit of the doubt until they prove me wrong. :cool:

broncohead
03-06-2009, 07:47 PM

So he has anger problems. That's something that can be fixed and should get help in doing so cause it doesn't seem like he can control it. People are over reacting.

EMB6903
03-06-2009, 07:48 PM
I am sick of Marshall, esspecially sick of hearing him EVERY single year saying that hes going to change for the better...You guys cant deny that hes a good hearted person who does A LOT in the Denver community.... but I understand why people wouldnt want him back, every interview this guy does it seems like hes telling everybody hes a changed man yet always ends up finding himself in trouble

EMB6903
03-06-2009, 07:49 PM
I wouldnt say over reacting, just sick and tired of the nonsense

broncohead
03-06-2009, 07:59 PM
I wouldnt say over reacting, just sick and tired of the nonsense

They get paid to play football not please people with their behavior on their personal time. I know there is rules and such against surtain behaviors but there are worse people out there then some one who gets into arguments with his girlfriend. I garentee that 30% of the posters have hit their wife/girlfriend, drunk and drove even though they didn't get caught, or/and did drugs but your not surounded with cammeras so it's harder to catch those people.

EMB6903
03-06-2009, 08:05 PM
They get paid to play football not please people with their behavior on their personal time. I know there is rules and such against surtain behaviors but there are worse people out there then some one who gets into arguments with his girlfriend. I garentee that 30% of the posters have hit their wife/girlfriend, drunk and drove even though they didn't get caught, or/and did drugs but your not surounded with cammeras so it's harder to catch those people.

I could care less what Marshall does off the field until it has an effect on his job (which it has) nobody said Marshall is a bad person hes just an idiot who cant find his way out of trouble... I havent even had 5 speeding tickets in my life time much less been arrested that many times.

broncohead
03-06-2009, 08:09 PM
I could care less what Marshall does off the field until it has an effect on his job (which it has) nobody said Marshall is a bad person hes just an idiot who cant find his way out of trouble... I havent even had 5 speeding tickets in my life time much less been arrested that many times.

It wasn't an attack on you just a comment but I agree it does affect his ability to get on the field due to suspention.

Northman
03-06-2009, 08:48 PM
So he has anger problems. That's something that can be fixed and should get help in doing so cause it doesn't seem like he can control it. People are over reacting.

I bet they said that for a long time in Nicole Brown's case too.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-06-2009, 09:08 PM

Minimizing it is the perfect way to go about fixing it.

scott.475
03-06-2009, 09:09 PM

What a stunningly stupid post, so much I could say but will not bother.

Look, the simple fact the DA decided to drop the charges does not in the least mean that BMarsh should not have been arrested or that the arrest was wrong. I have no clue, I was not there, but a lot of the posts here about this are jsut ignorant. I do not know what the law on domestic violence is in that state, county, city where he was arrested, but here in Washington we have a MANDATORY DV arrest statute. You see, what used to happen was cops would got out to a DV, and maybe the wife was slapped once, maybe she was beat to hell, but if she refused to be a victim, provide a statement, or told the cops she would not testify, they would tell the guy "hey, go for a walk and cool off" or "go sleep at a friends tonight, work it out tomorrow". At the time it was no big deal, and the whole system was set up that way...even if the cop DID arrest the man, the prosecutor would likely not file charges since the victim would not testify. Well, guess what happened? More than a few times the man came back from the cooling off walk or from staying at a friends and beat the woman within an inch of her life, or permanently damaged her, or killed her...oh, and keep in mind, even before this a lot of women would not testify because they were threatened with death or beatings by the man if they did. So, we passed a mandatory arrest DV law. The law clearly states the intent is to prevent DVs and protect its victims and that, as long as the arrest is made in good faith, even if the charge is later dropped, the arresting officer cannot be in trouble for it. I have had to make these decisions many times, sometimes they are easy, sometimes extremely difficult, okay? We are not talking about a simple street fight here, the fact that this is a DV situation may well mean that it is covered by a whole different set of rules and laws mandating action by the cops, truly a better to err on the side of caution situation.

I have been on many, many cases where the arrest was good, the crime on video even, and the prosecutor decides to drop the charges for any number of reasons. So please, just because a DA drops charges on someone does not mean an arrest never should have been made. Arrests are made based on probable cause, and probable cause can be a relatively low threshold to cross sometimes.

BMarsh needs to either become celibate, find a different class/style of woman to date, or grow up. While none of his problems have been horrific, he is kind of going down thown death by a thousand cuts road.

Cripes, my enthusiasm for the coming year is quickly waning.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Now THAT is the most educated response I've ever seen :coffee:

EPIC FAIL.......

Pretty weak buddy. First off, you cut 1 sentence of a post to attempt to form your feeble argument. Secondly, You have still neglected to suppport your notion that Godell is bad for the league and he overreacts to a bunch of thugs who can't stay off the police blotter. Just about everyone I talk to feels that it's a bout time these criminals stop getting a free pass just cuz they can afford pricey lawyers who get em off on technicalities or apply political pressure to their situations. These dudes put themselves in awful situations time and time again. Eventually, they are the ones who need to take some responsibility for their actions. It doesn't help when dudes like you make excuses for them or rant that they are being treated unfairly. The world is a screwed up place and this is a contributing factor...1 of many, but still 1.

BANJOPICKER1

-----
Think after Top's post, this thread should have ended. Great post Top.:beer:

GOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!

bullis26

-----

that very well could be the case but that doesnt mean marshall isnt getting suspended because if you remeber why marshalls suspension was reduced from 3 games to 1 last year it was because he said he would not put himself in situations where he would get in trouble. Being out in a bar/stripclub late at night is putting yourself in a situation where you can get in trouble. If somebody runs a stoplight and hits you in a car while your driving drunk it's still your fauklt your drunk and shouldnt be on that road, marshall shouldnt have been in that bar if he's at his house sleeping he couldnt have gotten in trouble. I dont really think he did anything wrong but he will get suspended

getlynched47
03-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Pretty weak buddy. First off, you cut 1 sentence of a post to attempt to form your feeble argument. Secondly, You have still neglected to suppport your notion that Godell is bad for the league and he overreacts to a bunch of thugs who can't stay off the police blotter. Just about everyone I talk to feels that it's a bout time these criminals stop getting a free pass just cuz they can afford pricey lawyers who get em off on technicalities or apply political pressure to their situations. These dudes put themselves in awful situations time and time again. Eventually, they are the ones who need to take some responsibility for their actions. It doesn't help when dudes like you make excuses for them or rant that they are being treated unfairly. The world is a screwed up place and this is a contributing factor...1 of many, but still 1.

What criminal? Brandon Marshall doesnt go shooting up clubs (Pacman), hitting teenagers in the face (Chris Henry), or carrying unlicensed weapons in his house (Tank).

You're making Brandon Marshall out like he's a serious criminal that robs banks and kills people.

That's Marshall's business because it's his personal life between him and his fiancee, not Goodells.

Goodell has the right to suspend the guys I mentioned above...but Marshall has never put multiple peoples lives in danger (at least from what we know)....

Marshall doesnt deserve a huge suspension...

bullis26
03-06-2009, 10:23 PM
What criminal? Brandon Marshall doesnt go shooting up clubs (Pacman), hitting teenagers in the face (Chris Henry), or carrying unlicensed weapons in his house (Tank).

You're making Brandon Marshall out like he's a serious criminal that robs banks and kills people.

That's Marshall's business because it's his personal life between him and his fiancee, not Goodells.

Goodell has the right to suspend the guys I mentioned above...but Marshall has never put multiple peoples lives in danger (at least from what we know)....

pacman has never been convicted of a crime why should he be suspended huh? because he continously has run ins with the law and it looks bad for the nfl its the same thing with marshall but marshall beat a women thats horrible in my books, gets in many fights and why is darrent williams dead well marshall started stuff in the club..... so he has put peoples life in danger but not as bad as pacman, and i agree he's not really that bad of a person but he continously gets in trouble so as much as i hate to say it he does deserve a suspension

red98
03-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Based on what we've heard so far I don't think Marshall will be suspended
at all. I don't think he should be suspended either.

bullis26
03-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Based on what we've heard so far I don't think Marshall will be suspended
at all. I don't think he should be suspended either.

Originally Posted by topscribe

-----

that very well could be the case but that doesnt mean marshall isnt getting suspended because if you remeber why marshalls suspension was reduced from 3 games to 1 last year it was because he said he would not put himself in situations where he would get in trouble. Being out in a bar/stripclub late at night is putting yourself in a situation where you can get in trouble. If somebody runs a stoplight and hits you in a car while your driving drunk it's still your fauklt your drunk and shouldnt be on that road, marshall shouldnt have been in that bar if he's at his house sleeping he couldnt have gotten in trouble. I dont really think he did anything wrong but he will get suspended

yes he should and he will unfortunately

red98
03-06-2009, 10:41 PM
I dont really think he did anything wrong but he will get suspended

yes he should and he will unfortunately

If you don't think he did anything wrong than why do you think
he should be suspended?

JK, I know what you mean, he shouldn't be putting himself in a situation where
the police will even be questioning his actions. I agree with that and it's frustrating that he was out arguing with his fiance at 5:30 am for some strange reason.

Still, based on what I 've heard so far, I don't think he will be suspended.
I don't think you mess with a guy's wallet and career when an incident witnessed by a cop is not enough to even warrant a ticket.

bullis26
03-06-2009, 10:45 PM
If you don't think he did anything wrong than why do you think
he should be suspended?

JK, I know what you mean, he shouldn't be putting himself in a situation where
the police will even questioning his actions. I agree with that and it's frustrating that he was out arguing with his fiance at 5:30 am for some strange reason.

Still, based on what I 've heard so far, I don't think he will be suspended.
I don't think you mess with a guy's wallet and career when an incident witnessed by a cop is not enough to even warrant a ticket.

one of the agreements he had with goodell though is that he wouldnt put himself in anymore situations to get himself in trouble, and has he not done that? Obviously he has, no matter if he was just sitting in the bar when a fight broke out and the cops came and arrested everybody there he still was there

red98
03-06-2009, 10:52 PM
one of the agreements he had with goodell though is that he wouldnt put himself in anymore situations to get himself in trouble, and has he not done that? Obviously he has, no matter if he was just sitting in the bar when a fight broke out and the cops came and arrested everybody there he still was there

I agree, I just think "argument with fiance in public" puts him right on the edge of that.

Hey, I've been wrong before (alot), we'll have to wait and see.

I don't think he should be suspended, but when I read North's comment comparing him to OJ, well I figure it was in jest, but still, it makes me think twice about it.

I think we all agree the Broncos shouldn't be talking extension with him
until this all sorts itself out.

bullis26
03-06-2009, 11:10 PM
I agree, I just think "argument with fiance in public" puts him right on the edge of that.

Hey, I've been wrong before (alot), we'll have to wait and see.

I don't think he should be suspended, but when I read North's comment comparing him to OJ, well I figure it was in jest, but still, it makes me think twice about it.

I think we all agree the Broncos shouldn't be talking extension with him
until this all sorts itself out.

well i hope your right but i really think he will and marshall is no where near as bad as OJ yeah he might have gotten somebody killed but he himself didnt kill anybody

56crash
03-06-2009, 11:18 PM
No biggy. His hands are average.

yep so you know more then his surgeons thank s now I feel better .:elefant:

Northman
03-06-2009, 11:35 PM

So your of the opinion that slapping around women isnt a big deal? Um, Okay. :lol:

Lonestar
03-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Perhaps this already have been comented on but -
I'm on blackberry.
Sign him tomorrow to heavy duty INCENTIVE contract with Bonuses coming with every goodthing he does and fines for every knuckle head thing also.
Show him we care and want him to do well....

Then pray the KID grows up..
In the meantime find a great backup for his GOODELL TIME...

JKcatch724
03-07-2009, 12:26 AM
I'm on blackberry.
Sign him tomorrow to heavy duty INCENTIVE contract with Bonuses coming with every goodthing he does and fines for every knuckle head thing also.

Completely agree. IMO it would be dumb to get rid of Brandon at this point. If we could weather the storm, why would we give up on him before he matures? He's just too good of a talent to let go of. We've been waiting for a receiver like him for a LONG time. I'd rather deal with him than Lelie or Walker, because at least he produces and isn't a locker room cancer. Not to mention him and Jay have a good thing going together and it would be one more thing to piss Jay off.

That said, a contract LOADED with incentives is the only thing you can do at this point. If he thinks he's matured, let him prove it. If not, at least we tried. It's either that or get him fixed. :lol:

bullis26
03-07-2009, 12:32 AM
Completely agree. IMO it would be dumb to get rid of Brandon at this point. If we could weather the storm, why would we give up on him before he matures? He's just too good of a talent to let go of. We've been waiting for a receiver like him for a LONG time. I'd rather deal with him than Lelie or Walker, because at least he produces and isn't a locker room cancer. Not to mention him and Jay have a good thing going together and it would be one more thing to piss Jay off.

That said, a contract LOADED with incentives is the only thing you can do at this point. If he thinks he's matured, let him prove it. If not, at least we tried. It's either that or get him fixed. :lol:

javon walker? i wouldnt mind him at all, in 21 games with the broncos he had 95 catches, 1371 yards, 8 td's, 11 carries, 120 yards, 1 td
He was hurt was the only knock on him he had a great first year here but reinjured himself his second year and kept coming back too early, plus he's a good leader and he hasnt gotten into trouble

JKcatch724
03-07-2009, 12:36 AM
javon walker? i wouldnt mind him at all, in 21 games with the broncos he had 95 catches, 1371 yards, 8 td's, 11 carries, 120 yards, 1 td
He was hurt was the only knock on him he had a great first year here but reinjured himself his second year and kept coming back too early, plus he's a good leader and he hasnt gotten into trouble

True... but by produce I meant be on the field enough to produce. And I know I'm lobbing that one up for somebody to make the "Dude, Brandon Marshall should change his middle name to 8 game suspension" argument, but at least he's not injury prone. And IMO he's WAY more of a weapon than Walker was.

xzn
03-07-2009, 01:04 AM
I'm on blackberry.

TOP's post that was already quoted on this page and the above post by Jrwiz, when put together form a perfect union of compassion and pragmatic tough love.

Have you guys email Xanders with this plan yet?

Northman
03-07-2009, 01:20 AM
True... but by produce I meant be on the field enough to produce. And I know I'm lobbing that one up for somebody to make the "Dude, Brandon Marshall should change his middle name to 8 game suspension" argument, but at least he's not injury prone. And IMO he's WAY more of a weapon than Walker was.

Not too mention Walker was offended by Marshall's ability that was starting to show in Javon's absence. Javon couldnt stand being the #2 guy and so when he got all uptight he was cut. And somehow T.O is supposed to come in and be the consumate teammate? :lol:

Lonestar
03-07-2009, 01:28 AM
TOP's post that was already quoted on this page and the above post by Jrwiz, when put together form a perfect union of compassion and pragmatic tough love.

Have you guys email Xanders with this plan yet?

sorry have been off the past couple of days just popped on for a few minutes and did not read the thread Was posting from my Black berry so load time sucks to read every post..

I think this is the only way to MAYBE get this kid under control.. Carrot and stick approach till he has the best eye site in the NFL or beat to death..

xzn
03-07-2009, 01:50 AM
I seriously think that you are on to something. Let him sweat a little about the suspension. Take the opportunity to negotiate a favorable incentive laden contract that gives the team an escape hatch without big cap penalties if he can't pull himself together and rewards him appropriately if/when he does grow up.

Genius!

omac
03-07-2009, 05:06 AM

When not injured, Javon was great: tough, great hands, very good speed, a deep threat, and an excellent route runner. He got pretty messed up after Darrent's murder, and he's been self destructing since. Hopefully, he gets some help.

JKcatch724
03-07-2009, 05:55 AM
When not injured, Javon was great: tough, great hands, very good speed, a deep threat, and an excellent route runner. He got pretty messed up after Darrent's murder, and he's been self destructing since. Hopefully, he gets some help.

Key words.

rcsodak
03-07-2009, 04:32 PM
I bet they said that for a long time in Nicole Brown's case too.

Grrrrrrrtttt....

...now BMarsh is getting compared to OJ.

What's next from some of you people? Hitler?

EMB6903
03-07-2009, 04:56 PM
I would seriously put in his contract that he is not allowed to go to atlanta in the offseason, is that possible?

frauschieze
03-07-2009, 05:04 PM

Nope, just got his ass kicked in Vegas. And put himself on IR last year for the Raiders. No thanks.

TXBRONC
03-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Nope, just got his ass kicked in Vegas. And put himself on IR last year for the Raiders. No thanks.

If I'm not mistaken he's still having knee problems.

Dean
03-07-2009, 05:07 PM

As Shanahan said, Javon's knee was degenerative. It won't get better; it will just get worse. Even last year with the Raiders' he wasn't the player he had been two years before.

This year he even took a salary cut. For someone as into money as he was both here and with the Packers, it leads me to wonder if he doesn't know that his skills are sliding.

TXBRONC
03-07-2009, 05:16 PM
As Shanahan said, Javon's knee was degenerative. It won't get better; it will just get worse. Even last year with the Raiders' he wasn't the player he had been two years before.

This year he even took a salary cut. For someone as into money as he was both here and with the Packers, it leads me to wonder if he doesn't know that his skills are sliding.

I had forgot that Javon's knee condtion was degenerative.

bullis26
03-07-2009, 06:03 PM
I would seriously put in his contract that he is not allowed to go to atlanta in the offseason, is that possible?

haha ive been saying the same thing, im sure it is possible but would be too hard to enfore but i completely 100% agree

BroncoTech
03-08-2009, 12:02 AM
I'd try to get rid of him ASAP. If not for Stokley this fool would have cost us 15 yards for an end zone celebration during a very close game. This guy promised us he was done with all those life-style choices that had him arrested 4 times or however many times in a couple years. Also the fact one of his off field escapades involved injuring the tendons in his catching hand. Dropped balls, fumbles but he has one redeeming quality in that on field he stays pretty healthy. Everyone on this team knows they are on a short leash and need to do better than jail.

slim
03-08-2009, 12:55 AM
Anyone can get arrested....22 times. :rolleyes:

BroncoJoe
03-08-2009, 10:48 AM
I didn't see this posted yet, but it looks like he was arrested for fighting with his fiance. This is not the same woman as before, so clearly the dude has issues -

When The Dude was little, I used to consult with him on sports issues of the day to get a kid's perspective, or a fan's. But in the case of Brandon Marshall, I went to him as an expert.

The Dude, son of a sportswriter, is taking a college class called "Brain and Behavior," which was obviously the question I had about Marshall.

I wanted to know how a bright guy who lectures kids about making good choices keeps making bad ones himself. I wanted to know if it had something to do with the limbic system, sometimes called the emotional brain.

Flash back nine months to Wyatt-Edison Charter School, where Marshall stood before a couple dozen of the older kids in the Rev. Leon Kelly's after-school program.

"If you Google my name, you'll see a lot of negative things because I made mistakes," he told them.

"So I'm not someone here talking to you guys because I'm Mr. Perfect. No. I'm from the same neighborhood you guys are from, the same type of environment, and I'm speaking to you guys from my heart, and it's real.

"I don't want to live like my mom and dad, or some of my family members, where it's week by week, check by check, where it's a struggle. You guys know how it is. No hot water. Bills ain't paid. No cellphone. No food in the 'frigerator.

"I been through it. I been through a whole winter where I didn't have no hot water, no heat. We heated up our house with the oven. So I know what some of you guys are going through. I know it. I still have family that's going through the same thing. You don't want to live that way. You have a chance to make your own decisions and your own choices right now. . . .

"Like I said, I made mistakes. I made mistakes recently, I made mistakes a long time ago. It's what you do, it's how you bounce back from it, if you become a better person."

Marshall's arrest on disorderly conduct charges in Atlanta a week ago for a fight with his fiancee on the sidewalk near his home is similar to his previous run-ins with the law — other than the DUI, subsequently pleaded down — except it was a different girlfriend. All the others had involved the same woman. There was some hope among his friends and supporters that if the two of them stayed away from each other, everything would settle down.

Last weekend's incident wouldn't be a big deal if Marshall weren't a famous athlete with a rap sheet. Neither party was injured, neither wanted to testify against the other and charges were dropped the following morning.

Still, the big wide receiver's propensity for violent confrontations with women grows more disturbing with each incident and clearly violates the NFL personal conduct policy, which specifically includes "domestic violence and other forms of partner abuse" among the acts likely to draw league discipline.

Commissioner Roger Goodell gave Marshall a three-game suspension last year for a similar incident, then reduced it to one on appeal. Outsiders are guessing anywhere from four to eight weeks on this one. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said it would be inappropriate to speculate.

"We will review the facts," Aiello said. "There is no firm timeline. It will be addressed as expeditiously as possible."

When I asked if it will matter that charges were dropped, he said it would be one factor. When I asked if Marshall's suspension last year would matter, he said that would be a factor, too.

So I asked The Dude if Marshall's conflicting behavior — his rationality with kids and irrationality with fiancees — might be a right brain/left brain thing, or a thalamus thing, or even a hypothalamus thing. Unfortunately, The Dude responded not as a college student but as a football fan.

Marshall, he said, seems to be ruled by his emotions pretty much all the time. He cited his passion playing the game, a few of the things he's said and his relentless attempts to extend plays, even when there's nothing there.

The week of his suspension last year, I asked Marshall if he thought he would have a better grip on himself going forward.

"You know what?" he said. "I'm still the same person. I'm still the same guy. All I can do now is continue to put myself in better environments, but I'm the same guy."

Truer words he has not spoken.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11862597

Poet
03-08-2009, 12:25 PM

-----
No way. I'm sorry, but when you keep getting into trouble time and time again, it stops being coincidences, or bad luck. Yeah, anyone can get arrested, but I find it hard to believe that it isn't anything but the fault of people who keep getting arrested.

I used to have the mentality of "who cares what they do off the field as long as they produce." But it does matter, because those arrests do add up and do hurt the team. When you get suspended you hurt the team. When reporters badger the rest of your team about your arrests, it hurts the team.

When you are a player who ALWAYS manages to get into trouble in the offseason, you're bad for your team.

There can always be mistakes from the law. My teams' resident moron, Chris Henry, failed a drug test while he was on probation. The reason he failed was due to the test itself being left in the heat. Oddly enough, an attic in KENTUCKY COURTHOUSE can get hot in the summer. But, just because mistakes happen doesn't mean that Marshall isn't the type of guy who always gets in trouble. It just means that he got lucky.

I am comparing Brandon Marshall to Chris Henry in the sense of always being in trouble, not for the actions that they do.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-08-2009, 02:53 PM
I've never been arrested. neither have any of my friends or immediate family members. Then again, we don't go out drinking and driving, slapping our hoes or acting like complete idiots while in public. Just sayin.

Poet
03-08-2009, 02:56 PM
I've never been arrested. neither have any of my friends or immediate family members. Then again, we don't go out drinking and driving, slapping our hoes or acting like complete idiots while in public. Just sayin.

What, you don't hit women??? BMarsh frowns upon thee.

BeefStew25
03-08-2009, 03:03 PM
I've smacked my wife around a little bit, but nothing too bad, and we both agreed afterward she had it coming to her.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-08-2009, 03:05 PM
What, you don't hit women??? BMarsh frowns upon thee.

I knew at any early age I wasn't cool enough to be a pro athelete.

omac
03-09-2009, 01:15 AM
I didn't see this posted yet, but it looks like he was arrested for fighting with his fiance. This is not the same woman as before, so clearly the dude has issues -

The article was all rehashed info and opinions, specially from "the Dude". The only thing it said is that he had an altercation with his current fiancee, the charges were dropped, he's had problems in the past, and Goodell would take it all into account. Well, that and opinions from "the Dude".

Thanks for posting it, though; it was an entertaining read. :cheers:

MasterShake
03-09-2009, 01:47 AM
I've smacked my wife around a little bit, but nothing too bad, and we both agreed afterward she had it coming to her.

Did you have to say something twice? I hate that! :laugh:

Just kidding! I love you! Don't leave me baby!

Dirk
03-09-2009, 07:36 AM
Get the kid some counseling, sit him down and tell him his NFL career is at stake with the Broncos if he doesn't get his personal life in order.

The Broncos are going to be a Dynasty soon (I hope :D ) and if he wants to be a part of it...get it together. Otherwise, get what we can for him while we can.

No matter what anyone says, he IS a somewhat T.O. type of player when he is "clicking". :cool:

Fan in Exile
03-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Let me emphasize that, in no way am I saying whether Marshall should or should not get suspended, simply whether I think he will. Here are the reasons I think he will not:

1. A judge dismissed the case. Often in these cases of celebrity run-ins we read that the charges were dropped. But that's not what happened in this case; the case was dismissed. I asked an attorney friend about this one and she explained that there is a huge difference between the two. Often a DA will drop the charges because they don't believe it's worth their time, or they cut some deal with the celebrity. But in this case a judge reviewed the evidence and determined that there was no offense. Either the police officer's account was not credible or, even if true, did not constitute the offense Marshall was charged with. Marshall's attorney said as much. Roger Goodell will have a hard time overruling a judge.

2. What Marshal was charged with, disturbing the peace, is a petty misdemeanor on the order of a traffic ticket. If the Commisioner starts punishing for misdemeanors he is going to have a very hard time drawing the line anywhere.

3. Bigger fish to fry - with the Burress and Lynch issues, Goodell is going to have a hard time suspending Marshall unless he outright bans those two. It's hard to equate gun charges with a shouting match with the fiance.

4. Star Caps - the Commissioner has historically been able to act as judge, jury and executioner because the league has always acted as if his disciplinary actions were beyond judicial review. However, last December a Minnesota judge handed down an injunction against the suspension of several players in the Star Caps incident. The injuction was upheld in federal court. The players may, or may not, win. But Pandora's box has been opened; the courts are willing and able to review NFL disciplinary matters. I doubt if Goodell will want Marshall's case to become a test case for his disciplinary powers.

5. CBA Negotiations - When the owners opted out of the CBA last year, they didn't just opt out of the revenue sharing. They opted out of the whole thing including the Commissioner's disciplinary authority. The players are already not happy about some of Goodell's high handed ways. If he seems to be too arbitrary and capricious, the union may very well make his disciplinary authority a bargaining chip. If it comes down to $$ or his autrhority the owners may very well throw him under the bus. I doubt if he wants to turn this into a bargaining issue.

Again, I'm not saying whether what Marshall did (whatever that actually was) warrants a suspension, but I think he may avoid one anyway.

I saw this on Mile High Report (http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/3/6/783328/why-marshall-may-not-get-s) and thought it might bring balance to the conversation.