PDA

View Full Version : Coach is Standing Pats

TXBRONC
03-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Krieger's article has some interesting thoughts. The part I find most interesting is that McDaniels and Keith Kidd might be the ONLY ones doing the scouting of free agents.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11848250

Dave Krieger | Columnist
Krieger: Coach is standing Pats
By Dave Krieger
The Denver Post
Posted: 03/06/2009 12:30:00 AM MST
Updated: 03/06/2009 01:24:59 AM MST

Maybe there was never any question whether Josh McDaniels would adapt his system to the Broncos' talent or the other way around, but after the first week of NFL free agency, we know the answer.

The other way around.

The '09 Broncos will be McDaniels' guys to as great an extent as he can manage in a single offseason.

The irony is that even as the Broncos' new coach aggressively recasts the roster, signing 12 free agents in eight days, he's taking some of the same risks the Broncos' old coach did.

On the bright side, no sign of the character risks so far. No Dale Carter, Daryl Gardener or Maurice Clarett, although, now that Clarett is blogging, you never know.

But Mike Shanahan's other weakness was the medical risk. He always thought he was getting a bargain because of medical problems that would most certainly heal themselves in Colorado, as if his players were 19th- century tuberculosis patients.

Remember Courtney Brown? Remember Dewayne Robertson, who failed the Broncos' physical and was accepted in trade anyway?

You don't even want to look at running back Correll Buckhalter's medical chart. He has blown out the same patellar tendon twice. Also an ACL. Last year he sprained an MCL.

I hear J.J. Arrington was on crutches when he visited Dove Valley, although the club will not confirm it. This after what should turn out to be fairly minor meniscus surgery, unless . . . well . . . you know.

Perhaps because of these medical histories, McDaniels signed three running backs among his first 12 free agents. The third, former Patriot LaMont Jordan, appeared in only half the games last season.

You'll forgive Bronco fans if they don't necessarily buy the safety-in-numbers gambit. Shanahan's last team went through seven running backs.

Brian Dawkins belongs on the risk pile, too. He's 35. He got a five-year contract. His pass-coverage skills are in decline. McDaniels might not be aware, but it's almost a carbon copy of Shanahan's signing of John Lynch five years ago, except that Lynch was only 33.

Around the league, the scouting report on Dawkins is that his ability to play in space is disappearing. Even in Philadelphia, where he could be elected mayor, he was removed in obvious passing situations last season. Like Lynch, he is a great locker-room and character guy. But whatever part of that $17 million is guaranteed could turn out to be for a relatively short rental.

McDaniels is putting more faith in system than talent. His high-volume signing of veteran players tells you he believes he can win right away by plugging reliable but unspectacular performers into the New England system.

Scouts Inc. grades free agents on a scale of 1-100, with 60-69 being an "average starter," and 50-59 a "good backup." Eleven of the Broncos' 12 signees graded out in those two categories. The 12th, Dawkins, graded out in the 70s, as a "good player."

These selections also tell us something about how the Broncos' front office has shaken out in the wake of the firing of Goodman & Son just three weeks ago. It looks like it's pretty much all McDaniels and Keith Kidd, the former Patriots scout, and not much sign of general manager Brian Xanders.

The Broncos have signed three former Patriots, McDaniels' former organization, and zero former Falcons, Xanders' prior stop. Maybe Xanders' emphasis will end up being contract negotiations and dealing with the salary cap.

Here again, the new boss is looking a little like the old boss. The coach appears to have consolidated most of the control over player personnel.

The sheer volume of players suggests it is important to McDaniels to get his own guys in the locker room, guys who owe their contracts to him and will preach the value of his program to teammates and the outside world.

In that context, next week's meeting with quarterback Jay Cutler looms larger.

Cutler's best friend on the team, tight end Tony Scheffler, is on the trading block. Cutler believes he was, too, before a deal for Matt Cassel, McDaniels' former quarterback, fell apart.

McDaniels' denials that he proposed this swap have caused a rift with Cutler, who believes he has inside information to the contrary. The young coach's attempts to get control of the locker room won't do him much good if he can't bring the quarterback back into the fold.

They haven't installed a Patriots West sign at Dove Valley yet, but that looks like the idea. The New England superstructure is going up. The players will have to fit in. If a few of them are former Patriots, they'll have a head start.

Dave Krieger: 303-954-1294 or dkrieger@denverpost.com

G_Money
03-06-2009, 10:06 AM
When Dave Krieger doesn't whine and snarky-snark his way through his columns he can write some decent inches.

~G

elsid13
03-06-2009, 10:08 AM
I really hate the Kidd hiring. Out of the league 5 years and 2nd fiddle to Mel Kiper and McShaw (if that his name) at Scout INC. If he wasn't McKid's buddy would he even have job in NFL???

TXBRONC
03-06-2009, 10:15 AM
I really hate the Kidd hiring. Out of the league 5 years and 2nd fiddle to Mel Kiper and McShaw (if that his name) at Scout INC. If he wasn't McKid's buddy would he even have job in NFL???

Do you mean Todd McShay?

elsid13
03-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Do you mean Todd McShay?

Yeah. He just another pompous windbag on ESPiN

xzn
03-06-2009, 01:37 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread, but here's a topic related to this article.

Where are we as of right now? It's all guess work but here is my take on what our depth chart would look like as of March 6th, 2009. Updated guesses in CAPS BOLD

Broncos Offense
WR 15 B. Marshall GAFFNEY
LT 78 R. Clady 76 T. Polumbus
LG 50 B. Hamilton 67 K. Lichtensteiger
C 62 C. Wiegmann 67 K. Lichtensteiger
RG 73 C. Kuper 67 K. Lichtensteiger
RT 74 R. Harris 76 T. Polumbus
TE 89 D. Graham 88 T. Scheffler
WR 19 E. Royal 14 B. Stokley 16 C. Jackson
QB 6 J. Cutler SIMMS
RB JORDAN BUCKHALTER TORAIN ARRINGTON
FB HILLIS PINOCK

Broncos Defense

LE THOMAS POWELL
NT FIELDS
RE PETERSON CROWDER
WLB 94 J. Moss 92 E. Dumervil
WMLB 55 D.J. Williams 46 S. Larsen
SMLB DAVIS 57 M. Haggan
SLB BOSS 52 L. Green
LCB 24 C. Bailey 34 J. Bell
RCB GOODMAN 26 J. Williams
SS DAWKINS 59 W. Woodyard
FS HILL 36 J. Barrett

What positions on that theoretical depth chart do you see differently?

Based on this what areas do we still need to address early in the draft?

I still see a HUGE NEED for a NT, OLB, ILB and DBs. I see a lot of quality backups and few legit starters.

Fan in Exile
03-06-2009, 01:43 PM
I'm not sure how you can say that DBs don't have quality starters. Bailey clearly is, and Goodman is solid. Dawkin's at SS is a quality starter at least for two downs if not three. I think whoever wins between Barret and Hill at FS should be good as well. If I were looking at a place that needed upgrading that would be the spot for DB but even there isn't that bad.

xzn
03-06-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm not sure how you can say that DBs don't have quality starters. Bailey clearly is, and Goodman is solid. Dawkin's at SS is a quality starter at least for two downs if not three. I think whoever wins between Barret and Hill at FS should be good as well. If I were looking at a place that needed upgrading that would be the spot for DB but even there isn't that bad.

Hill / Barrett is underwhelming and could be upgraded in the draft.

Goodman could be upgraded.

Bailey and Dawkins are obviously great, but esp. Dawkins will need to be replaced in the near future.

I put DBs at the end of the list on purpose. I think the front seven is clearly in more need.

Buff
03-06-2009, 01:56 PM
When Dave Krieger doesn't whine and snarky-snark his way through his columns he can write some decent inches.

~G

Dave Krieger is easily the best sports columnist operating in Colorado... Woody is up there too--the guy is terrible on tv, but he can write a column.

Fan in Exile
03-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Hill / Barrett is underwhelming and could be upgraded in the draft.

Goodman could be upgraded.

Bailey and Dawkins are obviously great, but esp. Dawkins will need to be replaced in the near future.

I put DBs at the end of the list on purpose. I think the front seven is clearly in more need.

Goodman got a five year contract I don't think he's getting upgraded anytime soon, he's going to be the starter. I also think that he'll do just fine if we have a pass rush.

I think the same is trus about Barret with a pass rush we won't want to upgrade here. Hill I think is at best a big nickle type of safety.

This attitude that we can upgrade here smacks of unreasonably high expectations for the type of players that a team can field. Now maybe if we draft really well for several years in a row we could afford to have better people at those spots but for now it's just not going to happen.

xzn
03-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Goodman got a five year contract I don't think he's getting upgraded anytime soon, he's going to be the starter. I also think that he'll do just fine if we have a pass rush.

I think the same is trus about Barret with a pass rush we won't want to upgrade here. Hill I think is at best a big nickle type of safety.

This attitude that we can upgrade here smacks of unreasonably high expectations for the type of players that a team can field. Now maybe if we draft really well for several years in a row we could afford to have better people at those spots but for now it's just not going to happen.

The purpose of the draft is to upgrade. That is not the question. The question is what positions are in the biggest need of upgrade.

I think we agree that front seven is a more pressing need than backfield at this point.

But IF Malcolm Jenkins slid to us and BJ Raji, Orakpo etc. are gone we'd have to look at that and he'd probably be an upgrade in the secondary.

TXBRONC
03-06-2009, 06:08 PM
The purpose of the draft is to upgrade. That is not the question. The question is what positions are in the biggest need of upgrade.

I think we agree that front seven is a more pressing need than backfield at this point.

But IF Malcolm Jenkins slid to us and BJ Raji, Orakpo etc. are gone we'd have to look at that and he'd probably be an upgrade in the secondary.

If that scenario presented itself then I would like us to try and trade down. Finding quality safeties is relatively easier and more abundant that other positions like defensive tackles.

Fan in Exile
03-06-2009, 06:41 PM

How did we get on the draft? I was just saying that we can't expect to have a pro-bowler at every position. So this has nothing really to do with my post.

However if we do reach the situation that you're talking about then there's probably some offensive player still on the board that another team would like. So I agree with TX the best thing to do would be to trade back.

Better to do that than to be trying to upgrade a reasonable place on our roster.

omac
03-06-2009, 07:30 PM
McDaniels is putting more faith in system than talent. His high-volume signing of veteran players tells you he believes he can win right away by plugging reliable but unspectacular performers into the New England system.

Yeah, I agree with this, but the acquiring of unspectacular players isn't that much of a concern to me; what does concern me is how too willing he is to let go of great talent. It's almost like he wants to prove that he can win with ordinary players, instead of making use of the real talent already on the roster.

Lonestar
03-07-2009, 12:00 AM
Pray tell what real talent has been let go`at this point

xzn
03-07-2009, 12:43 AM
Broncos Defense

LE THOMAS POWELL
NT FIELDS
RE PETERSON CROWDER
SMLB DAVIS 57 M. Haggan
SLB BOSS 52 L. Green
FS HILL 36 J. Barrett

What areas do we still need to address early in the draft?

I still see a HUGE NEED for a NT, OLB, ILB and DBs. I see a lot of quality backups and few legit starters.

tomjonesrocks
03-07-2009, 01:04 AM
deleted

xzn
03-07-2009, 01:06 AM
Yeah, I don't buy that for a second. He MAY have the final say, but it bends credulity to suggest that only two people are working on the evaluation of pro personell.

weazel
03-07-2009, 01:09 AM
let me put on my orange tinted glasses, :cool: everything McDaniels does is gold! He can do no wrong. This team will win the Superbowl!

this season is going to suck

xzn
03-07-2009, 01:15 AM
Thanks for contributing your thoughts to the thread...

xzn
03-07-2009, 02:05 AM
It seems to me that our biggest need by far is NT, but unfortunately the only player with a first round grade who fits that need will probably be taken before we are on the clock.

Assuming that BJ Raji is not available when we pick it leaves us with having to look for best available player at a position of need. A guy like Rey Maulaluga would certainly upgrade one of our MLB spots. Then again, so would Clay Matthews, Brian Cushing, James Laurenitis and Aaron Maybin would as well. So, would we be better off trading back?

Draft value charts are not perfect but a reasonable trade based on the one at ESPN would get us Philly's 21 and 52. We'd also still have our 48.

Now we could still get one of those other LBs, or maybe even Tyson Jackson if we got lucky, with the 21 and still have two more picks in the top 50.

Defensive players like Jarron Gilbert, Ron Brace, Patrick Chung, William Moore, Ziggy Hood and several quality CBs would be available in that range.

I am a USC fan and LOVE watching Rey play football. With that said I think the Broncos would be better off having something like:

OLB Clay Matthews + NT Ron Brace + RDE Jarron Gilbert

more than

MLB Rey Maualuga + FS Louis Delmas

IF BJ Raji falls to us all bets are off though! Get the franchise NT if we can...

xzn
03-07-2009, 02:37 AM
Aaron Maybin

Scouts Inc. Grade: 94

Overall Football Traits

Production 2 A third-year sophomore who declared with two years of eligibility remaining. He redshirted in 2006 and played as a backup and on special teams in 2007, when he notched 12 total tackles, including four sacks. Had a breakout season in 2008, when he started all 13 games and recorded 49 tackles, including 19 TFL. He also led the Big Ten with 12 sacks.

Height-Weight-Speed 3 Adequate height for a DE but can he add 15 pounds to his frame. Likely to settle in as a rush-LB in the NFL. Is in great physical condition (just four-percent body fat) and displays excellent straight-line speed.

Durability 1 Played in all 25 games during his two seasons of eligibility at PSU. Appears to be a flexible, healthy and durable athlete.

Character 1 Very mature for his young age. A natural leader both vocally and by example. Non-stop motor is infectious. Great football character. Not aware of any off-the-field issues.

Defensive End specific Traits

Agility/Quickness 1 Exceptionally quick and fluid, even for his type of hybrid DE/OLB. Shows excellent agility and closing burst to the quarterback. Possesses top-shelf body control, as well

Strength/Toughness 3 He is lean and must add bulk to frame. Is light in the rear and shows marginal ability to stack at the line of scrimmage when teams run at him. However, don't mistake small for weak or soft in his case. He is aggressive and feisty. He displays good initial pop and adequate upper-body power. And he certainly does not back down from a one-on-one physical battle.

Instincts 2 A natural playmaker with a knack for jarring the ball loose. Very good snap anticipation and awareness as a pass rusher. Should only continue to improve in this area with more experience.
Pass Rusher 1 Quickest first step of all the edge rushers in the 2009 class. Fluid double moves. Bends the edge tightly. Shows quick hands and strong enough upper body to keep bigger blockers off his pads. Still developing his array of pass rush moves. Gets caught too frequently trying to spin out of double-team attention and needs work in that regard.

Run Stopper 2 Spent a lot of time last season working head-up on the TE as PSU's strong-side DE. Shows discipline with backside containment. Stays low and fights to keep his positioning. Can stack versus most TE's but gets washed out too easily by bigger OT's when they get into his pads.

Trait Scale
1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal

xzn
03-07-2009, 02:44 AM
REY MAUALUGA

Overall Scout's Inc. Rating 92

Overall Football Traits

Production 2 2005: Appeared in 12 games recording 37 tackles including 4.5 for loss. 2006-07: Appeared in all 26 games (22 starts) recording a total of 157 tackles including 15.5 for losses.

Height-Weight-Speed 1 Displays an outstanding combination of speed and size

Durability 1 Durability is not a substantial concern at this point though sustained a hip pointer that led to him seeing limited time against Notre Dame in 2007.

Character 0 N/A

Inside Linebacker specific Traits

Instincts/Recognition 1 Shows natural instincts. Reads keys extremely well and finds the football quickly. Recognizes play action and reacts well.

Pursuit/Point of Attack 1 Down-hill aggressive thumper. Does a nice job of controlling and shedding blockers. Opens hips extremely well and changes directions instantly. Shows excellent overall range. At times, gets caught out of position due to aggressive approach

Tackling 2 A knock-out artist. Will violently explode through ball carriers when given the opportunity. Has a tendency to miss some easy tackles due to leaving feet in an effort to deliver the big hit

Pass Coverage 2 Does a good job of looking up shallow crossers and disrupting their routes. Is able to sniff out and react to screens extremely well.

Pass Rusher 2 Relentless and times stunts well. Displays adequate lower body strength and flashes the ability to collapse the pocket. Shows good closing speed.

Trait Scale

xzn
03-07-2009, 02:47 AM
Grade: 92

Overall Football Traits

Production 2 Redshirted in 2004. Played in 12 of 13 games in 2005 as a reserve. Took over as a fulltime starter in 2006 (Sophomore), finishing with 37 total tackles, 10 TFL and 8.5 sacks in 13 games. He started all 14 games as a junior in 2007, finishing with 36 total tackles, 3.5 sacks, 10 PBUs and 15 QBHs.

Height-Weight-Speed 3 Excellent all-around size. Is tall and well-proportioned. Speed is adequate for such a massive DE prospect but below average for the position

Durability 1 Has played in 40 games during his three seasons (2005-'07), including 27 consecutive starts heading into his senior year (2008

Character 2 Needs to show a more consistent motor on the field. However, he does not have any off-the-field incidents to our knowledge and he is considered by the coaches to be one of the core leaders on LSU's football team

Defensive End specific Traits

Agility/Quickness 3 Moves well for his size and plays very much under control. However, he's not a typical highly-regarded DE prospect with explosive burst. He lacks ideal quick-twitch athlete and loses too much in transition when changing directions

Strength/Toughness 2 He flashes a mean streak but would like to see him play with more consistent effort. Otherwise, his game is built around size, strength and power. There are not many DE's coming out of college with his phone booth skills

Instincts 2 Displays good overall awareness and recognition skills. Finds the ball quickly and also plays with discipline. Gets his arms up as a pass rusher and bats down more throws than most DE's

Pass Rusher 3 Can win some battles with power moves. Shows the ability to drive OT's back into the QB. Has some strong upper-body moves to get an OT off-balance, but lacks closing burst to consistently take advantage. Will never be a threat to turn the corner with pure speed off the edge in the NFL. Will always be a better run-plugger than pass rusher

Run Stopper 1 Is an outstanding run defender. Big-bodied DE with a wide base, long arms and big hands. Can stack and shed. Powerful hitter with adequate wrap-up skills in space, especially for such a big D-lineman

Trait Scale

xzn
03-07-2009, 02:50 AM
Grade: 91
Overall Football Traits

Production 3 2005: Despite missing half the season with an injury, (See durability) appeared in eight games (four starts) recording 23 total tackles. 2006: Started all 13 games recording 57 tackles and a team-best 13.5 tackles-for-loss. 2007: Appeared in 10 games (eight starts) recording 25 total tackles including 2 ½ for losses.

Height-Weight-Speed 1 Possesses a very good combination of height, bulk, and overall speed

Durability 4 Durability is a concern, as he missed nearly half the 2005 season with a shoulder injury. Also missed three games in 2007 due to a sprained ankle

Character 0 N/A

Outside Linebacker specific Traits

Instincts/Recognition 1 Shows good instincts. Seems to play a step ahead of everyone else, as he locates and gets to it extremely fast. Recognizes play action quickly and does a nice job of staying home against misdirection

Pursuit/Point of Attack 2 Plays at the Sam linebacker position and is very stout when lined up over tight ends. Down-hill and aggressive player. Is loose in the hips and changes directions extremely well. Displays sideline-to-sideline range and does a good job of avoiding blocks without taking himself out of the play when in pursuit. Needs to improve ability to shed blocks quickly

Tackling 2 An impact tackler. Strong hands help him wrap up and bring down carriers. Also does a solid job of breaking down and making open field tackles
Pass Coverage 2 Shows outstanding awareness in coverage and does a sound job of looking up receivers. Reads the quarterback's eyes well and makes quick break on the ball. Has some stiffness in his hips and will be limited in certain man-to-man matchups, as a result. But when in position he displays good overall ball skills making the play given the opportunity. (see California 2007 1st quarter)

Pass Rusher 2 Shows quickness and power off the edge along with ability to close quickly. Also times stunts through the A and B gaps well

xzn
03-07-2009, 02:54 AM
Grade: 90

Overall Football Traits

Production 1 Laurinaitis played in 12 games and started in Ohio State's bowl game as a true freshman in 2005. He started all 13 games of the 2006 season and was the Bronko Nagurski Award winner that year. Laurinaitis finished the season with 115 total tackles, 53 solo tackles and five interceptions. He started all 13 games of the 2007 season finishing with 121 total tackles, 51 solo tackles, 8.5 tackles-for-loss and five sacks. Laurinaitis also intercepted two passes and recovered a fumble in 2007

Height-Weight-Speed 3 Laurinaitis has adequate size and room on his frame to get bigger. He also has adequate top-end speed

Durability 1 Laurinaitis has yet to miss time with an injury

Character 2 Laurinaitis has yet to miss time with an injury

Inside Linebacker specific Traits

Instincts/Recognition 1 Shows a strong grasp of blocking schemes and beats offensive linemen to the point of attack. Keeps head up and locates the ball quickly. Reads quarterbacks eyes when drops into zone coverage and does an above-average job of timing breaks on the ball for an inside linebacker. Overaggressive at times and is somewhat vulnerable to play action

Pursuit/Point of Attack 2 Shows excellent lateral mobility when scraping down the line of scrimmage, uses quick feet to avoid blockers while on the move and gets through traffic quickly. While relentless and shows sideline-to-sideline range doesn't always take sound pursuit angles and could have some problems preventing NFL back from turning the corner until improves in this area. Aggressive and quick enough to disrupt running plays in the backfield. Gets under blockers' pads and shows active hands when teams run at him but doesn't show a violent punch and frequently takes too long to shed the block when reached by interior offensive linemen

Tackling 2 Occasionally tries to deliver the big hit rather than wrapping up and takes ball carriers on too high. However, an explosive open field tackler who squares up to the ball carrier and drives legs after making contact.

Pass Coverage 2 Gets adequate depth in drops and shows good burst coming out of backpedal. Covers a lot of ground in zone coverage. Does an adequate job of opening hips and is fast enough to run with most backs in man coverage. Shows good ball skills and can make plays in coverage. Footwork is a bit inconsistent and has some problems recovering when takes the rare false step. Has to work on reading routes and isn't as aggressive in coverage as is defending the run

Pass Rusher 2 Rushes inside out at times making it easier for quarterbacks to break contain. Flashes the ability to slip blockers in the backfield but has yet to develop an arsenal of pass rush moves and struggles to get to the quarterback when initial momentum is stopped by the protection. Times the snap well, shows good closing speed and is relentless

Trait Scale

xzn
03-07-2009, 03:05 AM
Grade: 91

Overall Football Traits

Production 2 2006-'07: Davis starts all 24 games, recording a total of 128 tackles, including 6.5 tackles-for-loss. He intercepts five passes, breaks up 14 passes and returns four kickoffs for a total of 116 yards. 2008: Davis starts 11 of the 12 game he appears in, recording 78 total tackles including seven tackles-for-loss. He intercepts two passes, breaks up eight passes and forces three fumbles. Davis returns five kickoffs for a total of 99 yards.

Height-Weight-Speed 1 Possesses ideal height and is thickly built for a corner. Also possesses outstanding top-end speed for the position.

Durability 1 Didn't miss a game with an injury in three years as a starter.

Character 3 Illinois head coach Ron Zook did not start him versus Iowa in 2008 because reportedly felt he wasn't playing as well as he could. Lack of visible improvement from sophomore to junior year is a concern. Vontae's brother is 49er TE Vernon Davis.

Defensive Corner specific Traits

Recognition Skills/Toughness 1 Instinctive and shows great understanding of how receivers are trying to attack coverage. Reads quarterbacks' eyes when drops into zone coverage and does a sound job of mid-pointing high-low routes. Very aggressive tackler and not afraid to get his jersey dirty.

Closing Burst 1 Explosive, quick-twitch athlete. Elite closing burst, especially when receivers catch the ball in front of him. Shows a second gear when tracking the ball downfield and fast enough to recover when gets caught out of position.

Fluidity 2 Fluid hips and makes smooth transitions forced to change directions quickly. Flips hips quickly when turning and running with receivers and can play close to the line of scrimmage.

Ball Skills 2 Natural hands and catches most balls he gets his hands on. Can play the ball without going though the receiver. Does a nice job of timing jumps when going up for the jump ball.

Run Support 1 Quickly recognizes run and is extremely aggressive in run support. Strong open field tackler that does a solid job of going low and knocking ball carriers off their feet. Sheds receivers in a timely manner.

omac
03-07-2009, 04:35 AM

Well McDaniels was trying to trade Cutler for Cassel, when all the league believes Cutler is a franchise QB, while Cassel may be more of a system QB, who still has to prove that he isn't another Derek Anderson. It's also reported that they've put Tony Scheffler on the trading block. Those guys are obviously extremely talented, yet McDaniels wouldn't think twice of letting them go.

omac
03-07-2009, 04:54 AM
The article had a lot of good observations.

Whether people will admit it or not, McDaniels is making similar moves to what Shanahan has made. That may not be a bad thing.

What I don't like is that after all this talk and articles about how his offensive system is like an amoeba, that it can morph to fully utilize the talent on the team, he decides to try and move talented players, because they apparently won't fit his system, then bring in guys who fit his system. Nothing wrong with bringing in guys who fit the system; Shanny did the same thing with RBs and linemen for his zone blocking. But all this buzz about a supposed amoeba offense is starting to look like a load of crap. How can he not find a way to get Scheffler involved in the offense? He's shown in his short stay in Denver what kind of mismatches he presents to defenses, plus he's a clutch player.

No matter, Pat gave McDaniels the keys to the franchise, and he'll do whatever he wants with it, just like with Shanahan. Here's hoping for a lot of success. :cheers:

Fan in Exile
03-07-2009, 08:26 AM

Anthony Aldridge, Mike Leach, and Eric Pears all would have contributed to the team next year, and will need to be replaced. Now they are world beaters by any means but these three guys should have been kept. Sure they are situational players but teams need those and the money that we'll spend on their replacements is money that could have been spent elsewhere.

Ziggy
03-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Replacing Leach was the only bad move I've seen to this point. He is the best long-snapper in the league.

As far as trying to trade Cutler, I'll believe it when someone can prove to me that it was anything more than listening to offers made. And no, guys like Chris Mortensen saying it happened doesn't make it true. If he knew what he was talking about, Shanahan would be the HC of the Chiefs right now. If I'm a new HC and GM of a team that was .500 over the last 3 seasons, no player is untouchable and I'm going to listen to any and all trade offers sent my way.

Ziggy
03-07-2009, 09:19 AM
I'm not sold on Tyson Jackson. I don't think a first round pick should be spent on any player that takes plays off, and has a questionable motor. Maybin has been my darkhorse pick for a while now, but I love the fact that Maualuga has dropped on everyone's board. He's a leader, an intimidator, and a flat out beast. I'd love it if coach McD and Xman took him with the 12th pick while everyone else passed because of his combine numbers. This team needs players, not track stars.

Drill-N-Fill
03-07-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm not sold on Tyson Jackson. I don't think a first round pick should be spent on any player that takes plays off, and has a questionable motor. Maybin has been my darkhorse pick for a while now, but I love the fact that Maualuga has dropped on everyone's board. He's a leader, an intimidator, and a flat out beast. I'd love it if coach McD and Xman took him with the 12th pick while everyone else passed because of his combine numbers. This team needs players, not track stars.

:dito:

Rey will be a beast, an impact player that DC will have to game plan for.

TXBRONC
03-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Broncos Defense

LE THOMAS POWELL
NT FIELDS
RE PETERSON CROWDER
SMLB DAVIS 57 M. Haggan
SLB BOSS 52 L. Green
FS HILL 36 J. Barrett

What areas do we still need to address early in the draft?

Exactly, I really don't want to assume that Powell,Thomas, Dumervil, Moss, and Woodyard can make those transitions to different positions until I actually see what they can do on the field. My hope is that they will, and I think they can do it but at this point I'm still not completely sure. That's five different players that being asked to play positions that they have never played before, plus Barrett in my opinion is still an unknown at this time.

xzn
03-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Why does no one ever talk about Boss Bailey? Before I get three replies saying, "Because he sucks!", or, "He's always injured!!" let's just step back a little bit.

As for injuries he did frustrate all of us last year. Heck, I'm sure he frustrated himself and his brother. But looking at his career the only other time he was injured was back in 2004 when he missed the season with a knee injury.

Boss signed a five-year contract worth $17.5 million that includes $8 million in guarantees over the first two seasons. He hasn't been cut and would be a large cap penalty if he was.

He's 6'3 and 235 with above average athleticism for a OLB. He can cover TEs and most RBs or FBs. Sounds like a SAM to me...

If our four best candidates for LBs currently on the roster are:

DJ
Boss
Andra Davis
Jarvis Moss

Of those four I'd say that upgrading Davis or getting insurance on Moss or Doom being able to play OLB are higher priorities than trying to replace Boss at SAM.

FTR, I see Woodyard as a SS and Larsen as a reserve LB/ST.

Buff
03-07-2009, 12:40 PM
I think everyone hopes for the best and plans for the worst with Boss... He's coming off of micro-fracture surgery, so it'll be a lot of wait and see.

xzn
03-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Maybe I'm reading too much into his not being released, but he has a starters contract and skill set. I'm assuming our medical staff is on top of the situation as far as his recovery and, although there are no guarantees, the rate of success for microfracture recovery in NFL players is about 76%.

So, you're right, hope for the best.

Fan in Exile
03-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Maybe I'm reading too much into his not being released, but he has a starters contract and skill set. I'm assuming our medical staff is on top of the situation as far as his recovery and, although there are no guarantees, the rate of success for microfracture recovery in NFL players is about 76%.

So, you're right, hope for the best.

I think part of it is that he's still injured and hasn't been cleared to play football yet. Until that happens they would have to reach an injury settlement with him and I don't think they want to spend that cash.

xzn
03-07-2009, 02:19 PM
I think part of it is that he's still injured and hasn't been cleared to play football yet. Until that happens they would have to reach an injury settlement with him and I don't think they want to spend that cash.

Thanks, that is good information. :salute:

SmilinAssasSin27
03-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Boss sucks. Make fun of everyone who says so all ya want, but it doesn't change the fact that he does indeed suck. Lions fans thought he sucked and made fun of us for signing him. Lions fans. Then he sucked in Denver before getting hurt...which he also does quite a bit. Hopefully he's gone as soon as he gets medically cleared if that is indeed the holdup.

TXBRONC
03-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Boss sucks. Make fun of everyone who says so all ya want, but it doesn't change the fact that he does indeed suck. Lions fans thought he sucked and made fun of us for signing him. Lions fans. Then he sucked in Denver before getting hurt...which he also does quite a bit. Hopefully he's gone as soon as he gets medically cleared if that is indeed the holdup.

I thought he was doing good job before he got injuried not a great job by any means but solid. However, with us switching to a 3-4 hybrid I don't think he'll be suited to playing in it.

xzn
03-07-2009, 04:17 PM

Dude, I know you are a smart football guy, which is why this is a disappointing take, coming from you. I know you can do better than,"He sucks cuz Lions fans said he sucks."

I'm not saying that he's great, but I do think he's no worse than the third best LB on our team right now if he's healthy, which I'll grant is not at all a given.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-08-2009, 09:57 AM
How bout my dad is a Lions fan and we get/watch a lot of Lions games here in our area. I have never been impressed w/ his game and Lions fans think he sucks too?

xzn
03-08-2009, 01:14 PM
How bout my dad is a Lions fan and we get/watch a lot of Lions games here in our area. I have never been impressed w/ his game and Lions fans think he sucks too?

That is a lot better take, at least its first hand witness. :beer:

I may be clutching at straws, but I am hopeful that he will surprise people, stay healthy and be a solid starter for us at one of our four LB spots.

At his worst he's still better in coverage than Spencer Larson isn't he?

Honestly, I have not seen him play in Detroit but he did play pretty well in the very limited time we saw him here during pre-season and before his injury.

I'm sure we agree that we hope he does well... even if you have reasonable doubts. :defense:

TXBRONC
03-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Replacing Leach was the only bad move I've seen to this point. He is the best long-snapper in the league.

As far as trying to trade Cutler, I'll believe it when someone can prove to me that it was anything more than listening to offers made. And no, guys like Chris Mortensen saying it happened doesn't make it true. If he knew what he was talking about, Shanahan would be the HC of the Chiefs right now. If I'm a new HC and GM of a team that was .500 over the last 3 seasons, no player is untouchable and I'm going to listen to any and all trade offers sent my way.

I think Adam Schefter was the first one say it. As far as know Schefter hasn't backed off his statement. In my opinion if this had come to fruition it would have been a bad move.