PDA

View Full Version : Analysis: Potential Candidates for Defensive Coordinator

Denver Native (Carol)
01-25-2012, 06:46 PM
MOBILE, Ala. – Whoever replaces Dennis Allen as Broncos defensive coordinator has a tough act to follow — and will inherit a defense that is still in the midst of a rebuilding process.

Under Allen’s watch, the Broncos’ defense improved from dead last in the league to 20th, and featured four Pro Bowlers, the most for the Broncos defense since 1996: cornerback Champ Bailey, safety Brian Dawkins, linebacker Von Miller and defensive end Elvis Dumervil.

But it’s also a defense with question marks. Dawkins is pondering retirement and has an expiring contract. Both starting defensive tackles (Brodrick Bunkley and Marcus Thomas) and two key linebackers (Joe Mays and Wesley Woodyard) are set for free agency. Andre’ Goodman’s contract could be in line for renegotiation, as Dawkins’s was last summer.

rest of article - breaking down potential candidates

http://www.maxdenver.com/news/2012/01/24/analysis-potential-candidates-for-defensive-coordinator/

VonSackemMiller
01-25-2012, 07:03 PM
We wasnt 20th we was 25th in points and thas all that matters

SmilinAssasSin27
01-25-2012, 07:16 PM

to an extent.

When we turn the ball over in our own territory, ya can't fully blame the D for giving up points. Kinda like how San Diego having the #1 defense in 2010...when the special teams gave up all sorts of return yards and TDs. Our D was CLEARLY improved...and THAT is what matters.

turftoad
01-25-2012, 07:22 PM

We were also 25th in points scored. The defense played way better than the offense imo.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-25-2012, 07:22 PM

:confused: So, the article was basically on potential candidates for DC - what do you think?

slim
01-25-2012, 07:23 PM
I think Juan Castillo is available.

VonSackemMiller
01-25-2012, 07:27 PM
the defense wasnt all that good, but with alot of key youngins taking the next step it will be better. Who arr the potential candidates? Im mobile.

slim
01-25-2012, 07:29 PM
According to the article:

Jack Del Rio
Richard Smith
Ken Flajole
Mike Trgovac
Brian Baker

From that list, give me Trgovac

VonSackemMiller
01-25-2012, 07:33 PM
Thr alabama dc? He rund a 3 4 defense. Would we be going back to the 3 4

HORSEPOWER 56
01-25-2012, 07:36 PM
Another well written article and solid research by Andrew. I just hope whomever we do choose, he's the right guy who will be here for awhile. We really need some consistency at the DC spot.

slim
01-25-2012, 07:37 PM
I don't know who the DC at Alabama is or what kind of D he runds.

VonSackemMiller
01-25-2012, 07:40 PM
who is mike trg?

slim
01-25-2012, 07:47 PM
who is mike trg?

The DL coach in Green Bay.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-25-2012, 07:54 PM
who is mike trg?

How 'bout this... READ THE DAMNED ARTICLE, then comment on it... what a concept, huh?

FanInAZ
01-25-2012, 08:55 PM
I'll pass on Flajole based solely on my belief that no one involved in the Rams' organization over the past couple of years deserve a promotion.

camdisco24
01-25-2012, 09:50 PM
I really like Del Rio... I think he has the best resume of those listed in the article. And IMO, he has the greatest ability to implement a great scheme and pick up where Allen left off.

Canmore
01-25-2012, 09:56 PM
I really like Del Rio... I think he has the best resume of those listed in the article. And IMO, he has the greatest ability to implement a great scheme and pick up where Allen left off.

Agreed. He has the best resume, but does that make him the best candidate?

camdisco24
01-25-2012, 11:08 PM
Agreed. He has the best resume, but does that make him the best candidate?

Yes, IMO he has the best chance to actually do what his resume suggests he can do. In fact, we've seen him do it before. It's a low risk hire compared to the other options who may or may not work out. We know what Del Rio can do, especially when he has some talent to work with.

MOtorboat
01-25-2012, 11:11 PM
Del Rio doesn't have shit for a resume. He was a defensive coordinator for one season in Carolina and then got lucky getting a HC job with Jacksonville and an owner that spent four years too long with a complacent head coach.

Canmore
01-25-2012, 11:20 PM
Yes, IMO he has the best chance to actually do what his resume suggests he can do. In fact, we've seen him do it before. It's a low risk hire compared to the other options who may or may not work out. We know what Del Rio can do, especially when he has some talent to work with.

I know very little about all of the other candidates besides Del Rio but this statement makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up and that's not a good thing. It doesn't make me comfortable.

camdisco24
01-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Del Rio doesn't have shit for a resume. He was a defensive coordinator for one season in Carolina and then got lucky getting a HC job with Jacksonville and an owner that spent four years too long with a complacent head coach.

So his work in Baltimore and Carolina were just luck? The guy has shown he can make things work...

Jax is a sorry excuse for a football organization anyways... even with that said, maybe Del Rio sucks as a head coach? Lots of coaches are meant to be coordinators (ie Wade Phillips).

camdisco24
01-25-2012, 11:24 PM
I know very little about all of the other candidates besides Del Rio but this statement makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up and that's not a good thing. It doesn't make me comfortable.

What I mean is... I think Del Rio has the best chance of actually doing well based on his experience as a LB coach and DC in Carolina. These other guys "might" be awesome, but I really don't want to settle for "mights" and "maybes" when we are rebuilding a defense.

MOtorboat
01-25-2012, 11:25 PM
So his work in Baltimore and Carolina were just luck? The guy has shown he can make things work...

Jax is a sorry excuse for a football organization anyways... even with that said, maybe Del Rio sucks as a head coach? Lots of coaches are meant to be coordinators (ie Wade Phillips).

He spent two years as a linebackers coach in Baltimore and one as a DC in Carolina and then got a head coaching gig he never really capitalized on, except in the sense of staying on with an indecisive and badly run organization.

I'm absolutely not sold on his "resume" and I fully expect him to have no real commitment to the job other than trying to get a better one in 2013.

Canmore
01-25-2012, 11:30 PM
What I mean is... I think Del Rio has the best chance of actually doing well based on his experience as a LB coach and DC in Carolina. These other guys "might" be awesome, but I really don't want to settle for "mights" and "maybes" when we are rebuilding a defense.

Fair enough. I don't know if that sells me on Del Rio but it definitely is food for thought.

I guess down deep I'm hoping for the home run and I'm not sure Jack can hit for the distance.

camdisco24
01-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Fair enough. I don't know if that sells me on Del Rio but it definitely is food for thought.

I guess down deep I'm hoping for the home run and I'm not sure Jack can hit for the distance.

It's all a wait-n-see right now... and I HATE waiting! :lol:

Ranger
01-26-2012, 11:48 AM
IMHO Del Rio is the best of the group and I venture to guess that Fox will offer him the job. I'm just not that optimistic that Jack will accept.
I've read that he has a son that is a great QB in Florida high school.
He'd have to have a good prospective high school QB position available in Colorado.

SOCALORADO.
01-26-2012, 12:06 PM
According to the article:

Jack Del Rio
Richard Smith
Ken Flajole
Mike Trgovac
Brian Baker

From that list, give me Trgovac

1 Richard Smith
2 Mike Trgovac
3 Jack Del Rio

slim
01-26-2012, 12:09 PM
1 Richard Smith
2 Mike Trgovac
3 Jack Del Rio

Why Smith?

He was horrible as the DC in Houston.

silkamilkamonico
01-26-2012, 12:11 PM

Del Rio's defensive philosophy is also almost completely opposite of what we did last year.

Pressure with front 4. No blitzing. Keep defensive in front of you. Bend but don't break. Boring.

Von Miller would go to something like a dynamic ROY with huge to potential to an underutilized average OLB in a traditional set. Possibly.

arapaho2
01-27-2012, 12:13 AM
Del Rio's defensive philosophy is also almost completely opposite of what we did last year.

Pressure with front 4. No blitzing. Keep defensive in front of you. Bend but don't break. Boring.

Von Miller would go to something like a dynamic ROY with huge to potential to an underutilized average OLB in a traditional set. Possibly.

jack became the DC in 2002

total defense
2001...31st
2002..2nd
2001...sacks 26
2002...sacks 51

2001 scoreing defense..21st
2002 scoreing defense...5th

2001 rush def...31st
2002 rush def...8th

2001 pass defense...28th
2002 pass defense...4th

looks to me his defense was anything but boring....and if those improvments were boring...sign me up :lol:

weazel
01-27-2012, 12:39 AM
I say we re-hire Dennis Allen. He's in Oakland, he'll probably be fired before training camp

TXBRONC
01-27-2012, 08:17 AM
I could be wrong but I think it's in the best interest of the defense to have someone who run the defense in a similar fashion to the way Allen ran the defense.

CoachChaz
01-27-2012, 08:45 AM
Baffles me that Singletary is not on the list.

BroncoStud
01-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Singletary is a blowhard, please don't bring him to Denver... The 49ers defense is a lot better without him.

CoachChaz
01-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Singletary is a blowhard, please don't bring him to Denver... The 49ers defense is a lot better without him.

Yeah...you're right. We've had so much success and consistency over the past 7 years. Why bring in someone that is hardcore, disciplined and successful.

What was I thinking

NightTerror218
01-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Yeah...you're right. We've had so much success and consistency over the past 7 years. Why bring in someone that is hardcore, disciplined and successful.

What was I thinking

he was not successful. SF defense is so much better with him gone.

silkamilkamonico
01-27-2012, 02:25 PM
jack became the DC in 2002

total defense
2001...31st
2002..2nd
2001...sacks 26
2002...sacks 51

2001 scoreing defense..21st
2002 scoreing defense...5th

2001 rush def...31st
2002 rush def...8th

2001 pass defense...28th
2002 pass defense...4th

looks to me his defense was anything but boring....and if those improvments were boring...sign me up :lol:

The cover 2 is a boring but credited defense as well with the right personnel.

Hopefully Del Rio can make those improvements. And in the process diminish Von Miller's trade value to a 3rd round pick while he stands back in coverage and zone all game long.

Superchop 7
01-27-2012, 02:46 PM
Ed Donatell enters his seventh season coaching the secondary for the Broncos in 2010 while beginning his 20th season coaching in the NFL. Named defensive backs coach for the Broncos on Jan. 20, 2009, Donatell also worked in that capacity for the team from 1995-99 and was part of the club’s back-to-back Super Bowl victories during the 1997 and ‘98 seasons.

Donatell, who owns seven years of experience as an NFL defensive coordinator from working in that role with Atlanta (2004-06) and Green Bay (2000-03), possesses 18 years of experience as a defensive backs coach at the collegiate and professional ranks. He has coached 10 different players who have earned a total of 15 Pro Bowl selections during his 19 seasons in the NFL.

Where is he now?

San Francisco.

wayninja
01-27-2012, 02:51 PM

I disagree. Singletary had a lot to do with building the core of that defense. He's not getting enough credit for it. That's part of how this works, I agree, but it's not like Harbaugh fired/replaced everyone.

CoachChaz
01-27-2012, 02:54 PM

It's the same defense. Minus Spikes and Clements...add Rogers and Smith.

NightTerror218
01-27-2012, 03:10 PM
It's the same defense. Minus Spikes and Clements...add Rogers and Smith.

and playing better.

wayninja
01-27-2012, 03:26 PM
and playing better.

How much of that is Harbaugh and how much of it is time/chemistry/reps.

Harbaugh deserves credit. But the defense he built is sound.

BroncoStud
01-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Bottom line: the 49ers defense is much better now that Singletary is gone.

arapaho2
01-27-2012, 05:21 PM
The cover 2 is a boring but credited defense as well with the right personnel.

Hopefully Del Rio can make those improvements. And in the process diminish Von Miller's trade value to a 3rd round pick while he stands back in coverage and zone all game long.

i could care less about vons personal stats if the defense as a whole was in the top 5

thats what were after right....or is what matters to you von gets great statline like he did in 2011...but the team ranks near the bottom

CoachChaz
01-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Bottom line: the 49ers defense is much better now that Singletary is gone.

This is a ridiculously vague and blind statement.

Superchop 7
01-27-2012, 05:29 PM
This is a ridiculously vague and blind statement.
__________________________________________________ _______________________________

Not really, new head coaches bring their own offensive and defensive philosophies.

silkamilkamonico
01-29-2012, 05:53 PM
i could care less about vons personal stats if the defense as a whole was in the top 5

thats what were after right....or is what matters to you von gets great statline like he did in 2011...but the team ranks near the bottom

Who cares about Von's personal statline? Do you care about putting the defensive players in a position for them to be at their best, which benefits a team as well.

Would you have a young Peyton Manning hand off all game if he played as a Pittsburgh Steeler?

Better yet, how often was Del Rio's defense "top 5"? I don't know I'm asking..

Ravage!!!
01-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Would you have a young Peyton Manning hand off all game if he played as a Pittsburgh Steeler?

If they were winning games by doing that, then thats absolutely what would have continued to happen.

arapaho2
01-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Who cares about Von's personal statline? Do you care about putting the defensive players in a position for them to be at their best, which benefits a team as well.

Better yet, how often was Del Rio's defense "top 5"? I don't know I'm asking..

i care about putting the defense in a postion to play at the top...as a team

tell me would you rather see miller and doom get 30 sacks and the defense be ranked bottom ten

or 10 sacks each and be top ten

one is about indevidule stats...one is team stats