PDA

View Full Version : Jack Del Taco Rio for DC?

DenBronx
01-24-2012, 10:50 PM
He has a history with Fox and I think he would be interested. He is a coach that the players love and is very stable.

Would it work? Would he be a fit for the Broncos?

Anyone else on the Del Taco Rio wagon???

camdisco24
01-24-2012, 11:04 PM
I think if John Fox is open to working with him again, he is the leading candidate.

I'm on board, but I'd like to see who else we are considering...

DenBronx
01-24-2012, 11:06 PM
I think if John Fox is open to working with him again, he is the leading candidate.

We are considering moving Mike Tice from an OL coach to a DC.

chazoe60
01-24-2012, 11:08 PM
I'd be all for it. JDR always had those defenses in Jax tough and ready to go, even when the team had a bad record the Defense was always fairly highly rated.

I just hope if he comes in he stays for a while.

broncobryce
01-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Heck yeah, do it now! I always respected the guy, his teams were always tough at least. And I don't know who else we could bring in that would be better. Fox will make it work.

chazoe60
01-24-2012, 11:09 PM

What? That's a terrible idea.

MOtorboat
01-24-2012, 11:11 PM

Huh? He's the OC of the Bears.

No to Del Rio.

BORDERLINE
01-24-2012, 11:17 PM
I don't know about bringing in Jack.

He was throwing his OC under the bus an awful lot at the end of his season.

That was low and seems pretty shady to me at least.

Funny title....There's a Taco shop by my hometown called Boca Del Rio Tacos

broncobryce
01-24-2012, 11:27 PM

True, but as DC we won't have to worry about that. I think he was over his head as a head coach, which is good because hopefully he won't try to leave to do that again anytime soon.

Dzone
01-25-2012, 12:22 AM
I like the idea. Takes some of the sting away from Allen going to our arch rival. It could turn out to be a blessing in the long run.

VonSackemMiller
01-25-2012, 12:34 AM
Pleaseeeeeee bring in Del Rio he is a better DC than FOX and ALLEN

BeefStew25
01-25-2012, 01:02 AM
Del Rio sucks. He is a small person.

Trust me.

dogfish
01-25-2012, 01:11 AM
What? That's a terrible idea.

Huh? He's the OC of the Bears.

No to Del Rio.

and zzzzzing! right over your heads it goes. . . :laugh:

i'll take mike trgovac rather than del taco, thanks. . .

VonSackemMiller
01-25-2012, 01:20 AM
and zzzzzing! right over your heads it goes. . . :laugh:

i'll take mike trgovac rather than del taco, thanks. . .

The alabama DC? does this mean we run the 3-4 again?

BroncoStud
01-25-2012, 02:06 AM
Screw Del Rio.

Army Bronco
01-25-2012, 02:34 AM
What options do we have at DC? Besides our current LBs coach and Del Rio, are there any others we can get or would want to coach our D? Just asking cause I haven't heard any other candidate names.

dogfish
01-25-2012, 03:47 AM
What options do we have at DC? Besides our current LBs coach and Del Rio, are there any others we can get or would want to coach our D? Just asking cause I haven't heard any other candidate names.

a few of us have mentioned mike trgovac, who worked with fox in carolina. . . alabama DL/assistant HC sal sunseri was a guy we repotredly contacted last year-- he was fox's DL coach in carolina. . .

lancane mentioned steelers LBs coach keith butler in another thread, and former giants DC tim lewis. . . we interviewd jim mora jr last year. . . i'm sure there are some other names floating around. . .

and i doubt we'd do it, but we could approach giants DC perry fewell with a promotion to assistant HC/defense. . . they can deny the interview, and quite probably would i guess. . . might at least be worth a shot to see if they want to give him a raise to keep him around, given that coughlin just said he wouldn't retire even if they win the super bowl. . . ed donatell is another former DC out there with some connection to denver. . .

CoachChaz
01-25-2012, 07:48 AM
Singletary...Bowles

SOCALORADO.
01-25-2012, 08:48 AM
No to Del Rio. Terrible choice.
Ron Milus is the DB coach and has been very successful.
And hes been with Fox for years.
Hire and promote from within.

Lancane
01-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Smith looks to be the favorite according to local columnists, and his age would suggest that he's not going to be courted for a head coaching job anytime in the foreseeable future - which probably intrigues Elway and Company.

Tim Lewis is still an option, and I believe Del Rio will get a look. Other names I would say could be considered would be Kevin Coyle, Jim Leavitt, Bob Sutton and Ed Donatell.

SOCALORADO.
01-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Smith looks to be the favorite according to local columnists, and his age would suggest that he's not going to be courted for a head coaching job anytime in the foreseeable future - which probably intrigues Elway and Company.

Tim Lewis is still an option, and I believe Del Rio will get a look. Other names I would say could be considered would be Kevin Coyle, Jim Leavitt, Bob Sutton and Ed Donatell.

Yes! Rich Smith would be fine..................or Rod Smith.:D

Army Bronco
01-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Looks like its gonna be Del Rio according to the NFL network.

TXBRONC
01-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Looks like its gonna be Del Rio according to the NFL network.

Bite your tongue. :tsk:

Army Bronco
01-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Maybe I'm gonna have to watch other teams play more often to know how good other coaches are cause I have no idea who would be a good candidate. I thought Fox would suck cause he only won two games the year prior taking the Broncos job. But just saying that the NFL network was reporting Del Rio is gonna be the guy but not officially yet.

DenBronx
01-25-2012, 12:25 PM
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 25, 2012, 10:25 AM EST

With Dennis Allen leaving Denver for Oakland, Broncos coach John Fox needs a new defensive coordinator.

Fox may wind up hiring someone that was his old defensive coordinator in Carolina. NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora reports Jack Del Rio has emerged a candidate to replace Allen.

READ FULL ARTICLE:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/25/jack-del-rio-could-pop-up-in-denver/

TXBRONC
01-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 25, 2012, 10:25 AM EST

With Dennis Allen leaving Denver for Oakland, Broncos coach John Fox needs a new defensive coordinator.

Fox may wind up hiring someone that was his old defensive coordinator in Carolina. NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora reports Jack Del Rio has emerged a candidate to replace Allen.

READ FULL ARTICLE:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/25/jack-del-rio-could-pop-up-in-denver/

So he's emerged as a candidate but he doesn't necessarily have the job?

DenBronx
01-25-2012, 12:29 PM
I don't get all the hate for Del Rio.

Their defense was actually ranked 6th in total defense.

Ours? 20th.

He has historically had respectable defenses with worse talent than ours. A small market team unwilling to sign anyone.

DenBronx
01-25-2012, 12:30 PM
So he's emerged as a candidate but he doesn't necessarily have the job.

Where there is smoke there is usually fire.

I think Fox is lickin his chops to get him.

BroncoNut
01-25-2012, 12:34 PM

sounds like you have something against the latino culture

Chef Zambini
01-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Del Rio is an UPGRADE over allen.
There may be other candidates, but I would be fine with JDR.

Army Bronco
01-25-2012, 12:42 PM
So what's the consensus? Is Del Rio a good choice or bad? I think if he is good then the Oakland Raturds will try to hire him next year after they fire Allen for losing to Den twice next season and we will yet again need another DC. Maybe McCoy can run our Defense too. Tebow will play S side LB or play SS after Dawkins gets hurt or retires

DenBronx
01-25-2012, 12:44 PM

Yeah I think he did throw him under the bus. But he's a very stable coach, a guy players love to play for, knows Foxs scheme and capable of mixing it up if he has to. Maybe he isnt cut out to be the head coach but I think would make a very good DC here as long as EFX keep bringing in talent for our coaches to work with.

We have Del Taco out here in California. It's cheap Mexican fast food but they have the best quesadillas.

Lancane
01-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Del Rio has fielded some truly solid defensive units, the fact that people are griping about Del Rio as a possible DC, while Mike McCoy is still the OC is beyond me.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Allen...but Del Rio's defenses were almost always tough and competitive, he's never had a last place ranked defense. Four times his defenses have been in the Top Ten, five in the Top Twenty, and only three in that did not make the cut - that's not bad at all.

DenBronx
01-25-2012, 12:46 PM
The only negative is if Del Rio actually does good I think in 2013 someone else would want him as a head coach. So then that would make 8 in 8 years for DCs.

BroncoNut
01-25-2012, 12:46 PM
Yeah I think he did throw him under the bus. But he's a very stable coach, a guy players love to play for, knows Foxs scheme and capable of mixing it up if he has to. Maybe he isnt cut out to be the head coach but I think would make a very good DC here as long as EFX keep bringing in talent for our coaches to work with.

We have Del Taco out here in California. It's cheap Mexican fast food but they have the best quesadillas.

i always liked Del Rio but was never quite sure why.

DenBronx
01-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Del Rio has fielded some truly solid defensive units, the fact that people are griping about Del Rio as a possible DC, while Mike McCoy is still the OC is beyond me.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Allen...but Del Rio's defenses were almost always tough and competitive, he's never had a last place ranked defense. Four times his defenses have been in the Top Ten, five in the Top Twenty, and only three in that did not make the cut - that's not bad at all.

I think out of the last 8 or so years he only had a defense ranked in the 20's 2x. Most of them were top 15 and a few were top 5.

And Jacksonville never had the talent a Green Bay, NYG, Balt or Steelers had.

DenBronx
01-25-2012, 12:49 PM
i always liked Del Rio but was never quite sure why.

It's the suit, the hair and the sunglasses.

He also loves to chop wood and will bring an axe into the locker room when needed.

Lancane
01-25-2012, 12:50 PM
The only negative is if Del Rio actually does good I think in 2013 someone else would want him as a head coach. So then that would make 8 in 8 years for DCs.

Maybe, maybe not... Del Rio may come on with the intention to eventually replace Fox. And according to the NFLN Del Rio and Fox are tight knit, so we could have a Williams/Fischer type situation, either way - I feel it's worth the risk, unless we're going to hire out-of-date coaches that are not in-tune with the modern NFL or have failed often enough to bounce team to team.

NightTerror218
01-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Del Rio had a good defense in Jacksonville. He could also bring some players with him too if any are UFA. I think he would be a good pick up. Similar scheme, knows DT are improtent, Fox is a LB kinda guy.

Allen helped out our defense for sure. Go from 32 to 20 with a new scheme new players. He was helped by Dawkins/bailey/Doom all playing great this year and leadership. Emergence of Ayers/Miller/Harris/Bunkley was great also to fill glaring holes. I just hope he was able to develop some of our young rookies.

Softskull
01-25-2012, 12:53 PM
I just saw this elsewhere

"@jmaestas22: @dmac1043 According to @Schottey Jack del Rio is currently talking w/ John Fox at a hotel in Mobile"

I'd be fine with JDR as our DCoord. I'm still shocked that the Raiders went with Allen. A very risky move for their new GM.

Lancane
01-25-2012, 12:55 PM
I think out of the last 8 or so years he only had a defense ranked in the 20's 2x. Most of them were top 15 and a few were top 5.

And Jacksonville never had the talent a Green Bay, NYG, Balt or Steelers had.

His defenses were ranked as follows, the 18th, 7th, 6th, 4th, 10th, 21st, 24th and 27th. Which is still above average, and far better then we're use to. Not to mention that as his offenses worsened his defenses were on the field more and more which wears them down. And he did that well with minor talent, that to me is impressive.

BroncoNut
01-25-2012, 12:56 PM
It's the suit, the hair and the sunglasses.

He also loves to chop wood and will bring an axe into the locker room when needed.

i haven't heard that story on axe in the locker room, but tubby could use him for a while at the next tailgate to chop wood. I hung up the axe a few years ago.

Fullback32
01-25-2012, 12:58 PM
I don't have a problem with Del Rio coming in. I just hope Allen fails miserably as a HC in Oakland like so many before him have.

Army Bronco
01-25-2012, 12:59 PM
The more I read the more I think its Del Rio. So, don't people who fail at HC become good coordinaters? Except little Josh of course, we all know his whole plan with BB but that's another thread..

DenBronx
01-25-2012, 01:00 PM
His defenses were ranked as follows, the 18th, 7th, 6th, 4th, 10th, 21st, 24th and 27th. Which is still above average, and far better then we're use to. Not to mention that as his offenses worsened his defenses were on the field more and more which wears them down. And he did that well with minor talent, that to me is impressive.

I was pretty close. Top 6 2x, Top 10 2x and the rest is pretty average. Had 1 down year at 27th overall but when you look at his roster you could kinda see why.

Coaches get too much credit when they do really good and too much blame when they do really bad. I think he's an overall stable guy who really knows football and defenses.

Could MJD want to follow him here??? Reggie Nelson is a free agent safety??

DenBronx
01-25-2012, 01:02 PM
The more I read the more I think its Del Rio. So, don't people who fail at HC become good coordinaters? Except little Josh of course, we all know his whole plan with BB but that's another thread..

Dom Capers.

Mike Nolan.

Mike Singletary.

Dick Lebeau.

SOCALORADO.
01-25-2012, 01:05 PM
I was pretty close. Top 6 2x, Top 10 2x and the rest is pretty average. Had 1 down year at 27th overall but when you look at his roster you could kinda see why.

Coaches get too much credit when they do really good and too much blame when they do really bad. I think he's an overall stable guy who really knows football and defenses.

Could MJD want to follow him here??? Reggie Nelson is a free agent safety??
Yes! to MJD.
Dude, please NO to Reggie Nelson. Jeez.
My main problem with JDR is hes notoriously a two-faced person in regards to players and FO personnel. Sorta a cancer. If he can just shut his face, and know his position in the organization, then fine, but he tends to cause problems. hopefully because Fox is his boss again, he might find his niche.

SOCALORADO.
01-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Dom Capers.

Mike Nolan.

Mike Singletary.

Dick Lebeau.

Cam Cameron

Kevin Gilbride

Army Bronco
01-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Just looked up Jags defensive stats. Looks like they were good but that doesn't necessarily mean we will be too. Who was his DCoord? Did his DCoord create those schemes?

DenBronx
01-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Some guys are just not cut out to be the head coach. Hue Jackson is a perfect example of that. He had a power trip and that cost him his job. Just enjoy your role in the best game ever. Jackson is actually a very scary play caller. 59-14 is an example.

WTE
01-25-2012, 01:30 PM

John Fox through his GM under the bus his entire final season in Carolina.

slim
01-25-2012, 01:32 PM

Andy Reid would approve of this.

RebelRocker
01-25-2012, 01:39 PM
John Fox through his GM under the bus his entire final season in Carolina.

you mean THREW??

And if anybody was thrown under the bus in CAR, it was John Fox. How would you like to be told that the organization wasn't going to re-sign its players and even worse, will not TRY to attract FA's to come there because their owner is a frugal *******.

Fullback32
01-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Andy Reid would approve of this.

Heh, that's what I was thinking.

BroncoNut
01-25-2012, 01:41 PM
People get thrown under the bus all the time, especially in big business.

slim
01-25-2012, 01:43 PM
People get thrown under the bus all the time, especially in big business.

It's eat or be eaten, Nut.

That is why I throw my coworkers under the bus on a regular basis. You know, get them before they get me.

Army Bronco
01-25-2012, 02:02 PM
So what's worse, being thrown under or hit by the bus like our Defense against NE?

BroncoNut
01-25-2012, 02:05 PM
It's eat or be eaten, Nut.

That is why I throw my coworkers under the bus on a regular basis. You know, get them before they get me.

it is. I'm not really in a position to throw anyone under the bus, but you kinda have to sometimes or else youi will get devoured. You even have to do it to nice and good people just to be sure.

BroncoNut
01-25-2012, 02:07 PM
So what's worse, being thrown under or hit by the bus like our Defense against NE?

i don't know. maybe tobe thrown under the bus.

Army Bronco
01-25-2012, 02:21 PM
So are we gonna be Panthers west? Patriots west didn't work out for us.

Superchop 7
01-25-2012, 04:29 PM
I would rather have Ed Donatell......that guy is a pros pro.

Lancane
01-25-2012, 05:48 PM
So are we gonna be Panthers west? Patriots west didn't work out for us.

Coaches usually hire coaches they have a history with, or whom are referred to them from someone they do.

Allen had ties to Denver because Sean Payton had ties to Fox from their days in New York under Jim Fassel who has ties to Denver. Eric Studesville was also a member of that staff in New York as the Running Backs Coach. Fassel has close relationship with Elway and recommended Gregg Williams and John Fox, Williams and Payton recommended Allen to Fox. Fox kept Studesville and McCoy because his previous ties to them.

It's all about 'who you know'!

JaxBroncoGirl
01-25-2012, 06:42 PM

Something to consider: Del Rio was never a favorite as a HC for the fans, he tends to snub his nose most of the time.

His work ethic the last year as HC was horrible, he came in at 9:00 am and left at 3:00 pm he seemed defeated and thought Wayne Weaver would never fire him, when he was fired in mid season he was shocked as hell.

Even feeling defeated, a Head Coach never stolls in at 9:00 am and leaves at 3:00 on a daily basis.

One more thing, he says one thing to a players face and totally does a 180, example the David Garrard firing.

He is a bad seed and I think the Broncos could do much better.

NightTerror218
01-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Something to consider: Del Rio was never a favorite as a HC for the fans, he tends to snub his nose most of the time.

His work ethic the last year as HC was horrible, he came in at 9:00 am and left at 3:00 pm he seemed defeated and thought Wayne Weaver would never fire him, when he was fired in mid season he was shocked as hell.

Even feeling defeated, a Head Coach never stolls in at 9:00 am and leaves at 3:00 on a daily basis.

Well not being the boss he wont get away with slacking off. More so with a defensive minded HC.

JaxBroncoGirl
01-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Well not being the boss he wont get away with slacking off. More so with a defensive minded HC.

One more thing, his ego is bigger than McDaniels. Yes, can you believe it - I am telling you, no one man is bigger than Del Rio, not on his team at least anyway, never did like or think Tebow was any good. Tebow may or may not be the QB we want him to be, but the Jaguars could have used him to fill the stadium at least for a short time anyway and Sel Rio wanted nothing to do with it.

Very bad man, bad man for the team....it was Mel Tucker that made the defense what it is, not Sel Rio.

VonSackemMiller
01-25-2012, 07:01 PM
The jags were one of the teams interested in tehow in round 2 so ehhh, I like del rio, he wont be a HC here so his shananagans wont fly, plus a fired coach is usually a humbled coach. Hes my leading candidate. Not the only candidate out there though.

broncobryce
01-25-2012, 10:14 PM
One more thing, his ego is bigger than McDaniels. Yes, can you believe it - I am telling you, no one man is bigger than Del Rio, not on his team at least anyway, never did like or think Tebow was any good. Tebow may or may not be the QB we want him to be, but the Jaguars could have used him to fill the stadium at least for a short time anyway and Sel Rio wanted nothing to do with it.

Very bad man, bad man for the team....it was Mel Tucker that made the defense what it is, not Sel Rio.

I understand why you feel this way, he was garbage as a head coach for Jax, but you really think he would suck as DC? When he was Fox's DC in Carolina he was money.

Softskull
01-25-2012, 10:16 PM

I don't know if you're right, but you're extremely passionate about it.

I now hate the dirtbag. Well done.

MOtorboat
01-25-2012, 10:21 PM
I understand why you feel this way, he was garbage as a head coach for Jax, but you really think he would suck as DC? When he was Fox's DC in Carolina he was money.

For one season.

DenBronx
01-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Well I'll personally tweet John Elway tonight to make sure he watches Del Rio coming in at 9 am and leaving early at 3 pm. That won't fly with John and that won't fly with me. We will stay on top of it and keep the boards posted on this issue.

He will get an hour lunch and a smoke break every day though.

Canmore
01-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Well I'll personally tweet John Elway tonight to make sure he watches Del Rio coming in at 9 am and leaving early at 3 pm. That won't fly with John and that won't fly with me. We will stay on top of it and keep the boards posted on this issue.

He will get an hour lunch and a smoke break every day though.

Only one smoke break?

hamrob
01-25-2012, 11:08 PM
I understand why you feel this way, he was garbage as a head coach for Jax, but you really think he would suck as DC? When he was Fox's DC in Carolina he was money.He wasn't really garbage as a HC. He was average. He did go 9-7 in 2004, 12-4 in 2005, and 11-5 in 2007.

It's tough to win in this league without an elite QB...

Who is Gerrard starting for these days?

DenBronx
01-25-2012, 11:11 PM
He wasn't really garbage as a HC. He was average. He did go 9-7 in 2004, 12-4 in 2005, and 11-5 in 2007.

The roster that they expected him to win a championship with is laughable to say the least.

broncobryce
01-25-2012, 11:24 PM
He wasn't really garbage as a HC. He was average. He did go 9-7 in 2004, 12-4 in 2005, and 11-5 in 2007.

Outstanding points. Also didn't they have to play peyton manning twice a year?

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

dogfish
01-25-2012, 11:25 PM
For one season.

but he's also been the long-term head coach of a team that was consistently solid on defense for most of his time there. . . that obviously doesn't happen by accident-- ask shanahan!

i agree with you guys that he seems like a douche of a person, and have said many times that i prefer other options. . . but i think it's a bit disingenuous at best to suggest that the guy doesn't know defense. . . the ravens organization has produced tons of quality defensive coaches over the years-- guys like mike nolan, marvin lewis, rex ryan, and now pagano just got hired as a head coach. . . and del taco learned under fox, who's a solid defensive mind himself. . .

dude may be a slacker, and may or may not be a good choice for us as a DC-- but either way, i'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing. . . he's hardly some wet-behind-the-ears pup, even if he's not a veteran playcaller of many seasons. . .

he's certainly a better coordinator than prisco is a writer. . . :heh:

broncobryce
01-25-2012, 11:28 PM
For one season under fox yes. But people act like allen is the second coming after one season.

MOtorboat
01-25-2012, 11:31 PM
I have no faith that Del Rio would ever be more than a one year stop gap, he's that arrogant. He would always be looking for the better job.

camdisco24
01-25-2012, 11:31 PM
For one season under fox yes. But people act like allen is the second coming after one season.

Allen was adequate... but not amazing. I would be more amazed if we didn't have a defensive minded coach.

I think no matter who we hire, they HAVE to be able to build on to Fox's plan. We cannot change schemes or mess around with the philosophy. (This is why I am so pro-Del Rio. Experience with Fox is a plus for me)

Canmore
01-25-2012, 11:32 PM
...he's certainly a better coordinator than prisco is a writer. . . :heh:

Lol. Too funny.

MOtorboat
01-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Allen was adequate... but not amazing. I would be more amazed if we didn't have a defensive minded coach.

I think no matter who we hire, they HAVE to be able to build on to Fox's plan. We cannot change schemes or mess around with the philosophy. (This is why I am so pro-Del Rio. Experience with Fox is a plus for me)

Del Rio runs a different and more conservative scheme than Allen.

BeefStew25
01-26-2012, 12:02 AM
Del Rio also had the highest water residential water bill in the city a couple of years ago.

I don't think he would understand the scarity of water out west.

DenBronx
01-26-2012, 01:04 AM
Del Rio runs a different and more conservative scheme than Allen.

Thats the one flaw that would scare me.

I loved that Allen was agressive and thats the defense that I was hoping we would get. Del Rio maybe isnt as agressive but I dont think he's passive either, maybe somewhere in between. But his defenses have been overall solid.

Now ours over the last 15 years have been embarassing. It would be nice to actually get a DC that will stick here for 5+ years.

Dzone
01-26-2012, 01:10 AM
The Del Taco Monster Taco supreme rules

nevcraw
01-26-2012, 01:16 AM
I have no faith that Del Rio would ever be more than a one year stop gap, he's that arrogant. He would always be looking for the better job.

based on staying nine years in jacksonville.. yeah he's a huge flight risk..

DenBronx
01-26-2012, 01:17 AM
The Del Taco Monster Taco supreme rules

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k272/DenBronx/DelTaco_GoBold24Hrs_72dpi.jpg

MOtorboat
01-26-2012, 08:27 AM
based on staying nine years in jacksonville.. yeah he's a huge flight risk..

He's arrogant. Probably thinks he should be a head coach. Was lazy. And his defensive resume isn't as great as people are making it out to be.

hotcarl
01-26-2012, 08:43 AM
no thanks. Hire smith

Chef Zambini
01-26-2012, 09:22 AM
but he's also been the long-term head coach of a team that was consistently solid on defense for most of his time there. . . that obviously doesn't happen by accident-- ask shanahan!

i agree with you guys that he seems like a douche of a person, and have said

he's certainly a better coordinator than prisco is a writer. . . :heh:I asked shanahan and he told me to stop reminding everyone that he has done NOTHING without a HOF QB to run the offense. and stop mentioning that his record is mediocre at best without kubiak or gibbs / dennison, the guys that actually coach the offense and make the gameplans and call the plays!
And shanny also told me to keep my mouth shut about bobby turner, the REAL running-back guru who churns out 15000 yard RBs year after year !
I asked shanny why, when his son decided he wanted to make NFL coaching his career, he sent him to KUBIAK to learn how to run an offense!
SHANAHAN IS A FIGUREHEAD!
he has NEVER, EVER, coached defense, special teams, O or D lineplay, and lets be clear, it was the AGENT of both BAILY and PORTIS who put together that trade!READ shanahan's OWN BOOK !
when he got canned from the raiders art shell told him,
"ypu know nothing about the game apart from PASSING the ball ! If you ever get a HC job again, make sure you hire a LINE COACH and somebody who knows how to run the ball!
SHANNY met KUBIAK in FRISCO !
when shanny got the HC gig in denver, he was sure to bring KUBIAK with him, and within 15 minutes of being announced as HC of the broncos, he named alex gibbs his line coach and bobby turner his RB coach !
and without those 3 shanahan has proven to be dog-doo !

red98
01-26-2012, 01:01 PM
I asked shanahan and he told me to stop reminding everyone that he has done NOTHING without a HOF QB to run the offense. and stop mentioning that his record is mediocre at best without kubiak or gibbs / dennison, the guys that actually coach the offense and make the gameplans and call the plays!
And shanny also told me to keep my mouth shut about bobby turner, the REAL running-back guru who churns out 15000 yard RBs year after year !
I asked shanny why, when his son decided he wanted to make NFL coaching his career, he sent him to KUBIAK to learn how to run an offense!
SHANAHAN IS A FIGUREHEAD!
he has NEVER, EVER, coached defense, special teams, O or D lineplay, and lets be clear, it was the AGENT of both BAILY and PORTIS who put together that trade!READ shanahan's OWN BOOK !
when he got canned from the raiders art shell told him,
"ypu know nothing about the game apart from PASSING the ball ! If you ever get a HC job again, make sure you hire a LINE COACH and somebody who knows how to run the ball!
when shanny got the HC gig in denver, he was sure to bring KUBIAK with him, and within 15 minutes of being announced as HC of the broncos, he named alex gibbs his line coach and bobby turner his RB coach !
and without those 3 shanahan has proven to be dog-doo !

Still making up your own version of history I see. :rolleyes:

NightTerror218
01-26-2012, 01:27 PM
I would rather take Smith. Keeps same scheme and we have a young team which would help in their development.

Jsteve01
01-26-2012, 01:53 PM
Smith???

NightTerror218
01-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Smith???

Richard Smith.....in-house promotion

Chef Zambini
01-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Still making up your own version of history I see. :rolleyes:read shannys book, read his own version.

JaxBroncoGirl
01-27-2012, 11:33 AM

i agree with you guys that he seems like a douche of a person, and have said many times that i prefer other options. . . but i think it's a bit disingenuous at best to suggest that the guy doesn't know defense. . . the ravens organization has produced tons of quality defensive coaches over the years-- guys like mike nolan, marvin lewis, rex ryan, and now pagano just got hired as a head coach. . . and del taco learned under fox, who's a solid defensive mind himself. . .

dude may be a slacker, and may or may not be a good choice for us as a DC-- but either way, i'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing. . . he's hardly some wet-behind-the-ears pup, even if he's not a veteran playcaller of many seasons. . .

he's certainly a better coordinator than prisco is a writer. . . :heh:

Dogfish, I understand the feelings that Del Rio would be a good DC however, his personality is alot like McDaniels. Yes, I know that is hardcore, it is what it is. Broncos have too much going for them to take a step backwards.

I hope the Broncos do not hire him, I really think it would be a very bad move, if Fox can rein in his massive ego, then yes but at this point I do not think that can be accomplished. The man is a douche bag Period and should move to high school football instead. His word means nothing, the same day he praised Wayne Weaver for taking a chance to hire him as a head coach in the NFL and was soo grateful for it, he actually flew to NO to interview as the head coach for LSU Tigers. He really thought he could do that quietly....I am telling you his word means Nothing!!!!!

The Glue Factory
01-27-2012, 12:30 PM

Not sure about the rest but this statement is absolutely inaccurate!

Shanahan met Kubes in Denver when Reeves was HC. Shanahan (then QB coach followed by OC) and Kubiak (then back-up QB) got along great and Reeves feared he'd lose his job to Shanahan.

NightTerror218
01-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Dogfish, I understand the feelings that Del Rio would be a good DC however, his personality is alot like McDaniels. Yes, I know that is hardcore, it is what it is. Broncos have too much going for them to take a step backwards.

I hope the Broncos do not hire him, I really think it would be a very bad move, if Fox can rein in his massive ego, then yes but at this point I do not think that can be accomplished. The man is a douche bag Period and should move to high school football instead. His word means nothing, the same day he praised Wayne Weaver for taking a chance to hire him as a head coach in the NFL and was soo grateful for it, he actually flew to NO to interview as the head coach for LSU Tigers. He really thought he could do that quietly....I am telling you his word means Nothing!!!!!

I saw watching ESPN last night and on the scrolling text at bottom it mentioned that the Broncos were taking a good look at Del Rio and he could be the lead candidate for the DC job.

DenBronx
11-12-2012, 04:05 PM

His personality is nothing like McDaniels and I'm glad the Broncos are making our decisions and not fans. JDR is making this defense into a championship defense.

I just hope someone doesnt steal him away at the end of the season.

Dean
11-12-2012, 06:47 PM
His personality is nothing like McDaniels and I'm glad the Broncos are making our decisions and not fans. JDR is making this defense into a championship defense.

Is anyone as egotistical and inflexible as McKid? Defense during yesterday's second half was exceptional.

I just hope someone doesn't steal him away at the end of the season.

What a novel idea. However, recent history indicates that there is about the same likelihood of the Broncos keeping their D-coordinator as a snowball not melting in hell.

NightTerror218
11-12-2012, 07:08 PM

I just hope someone doesnt steal him away at the end of the season.

I see McCoy leaving before JDR goes. not to mention JDR mentioned he liked the idea of going back to one side of the ball and focusing on defense again and just defense.

bcbronc
11-12-2012, 07:33 PM
I'd like Del Rio to give us a good half dozen years or so, just to finally have some continuity on that side of the ball.

Dapper Dan
11-12-2012, 09:41 PM
I could see JDR staying a DC for a little while. He didn't seem to have much success at all as a HC from what I remember.

DenBronx
11-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Ahhhh the never ending revolving door of DCs. Del Rio is good, in fact he's better than the last guy. I too would like him to stay here for awhile....at least until Manning retires. If we win one SuperBowl he will become the highest sought after HC on the market and be able to hand pick where he wants to go. So hopefully he gets that and doesnt take the first scrub offer to be HC again.

DenBronx
11-12-2012, 10:25 PM
I see McCoy leaving before JDR goes. not to mention JDR mentioned he liked the idea of going back to one side of the ball and focusing on defense again and just defense.

Would anyone be mad about McCoy leaving? We all know who the REAL OC is.....#18.