PDA

View Full Version : Official: Dennis Allen to coach the Raiders

cmc0605
01-24-2012, 09:24 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8264c5ac/article/raiders-decide-on-broncos-dc-allen-to-be-their-next-coach?module=HP11_headline_stack

HORSEPOWER 56
01-24-2012, 09:25 PM
**** **** ****ity ****.... :tsk:

wayninja
01-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Last time they hired one of our coordinators as a HC, it worked out very well for them.

getlynched47
01-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Fluck you, Dennis Allen. You are now officially the enemy!

http://http.cdnlayer.com/itke/blogs.dir/13/files/2010/02/dark_side.png

Guys, it's not a huge loss. Dennis Allen took our defense from bottom of the league in 2010 to ten spots better in 2011. Still below average. We can do better.

The biggest issue is continuity. That's 7 defensive coordinators in 7 years.

DenBronx
01-24-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm giving John Fox more of the credit on our defense this year.

But yeah I didnt want to see Allen go.

Now if this had been McCoy I could have cared less. Actually I heard the raiders were very interested in him and when he had thought he had the Dolphins job on lock he declined the raiders job. That pissed them off and he burnt the bridge.

Allen is now my enemy and I hate him.

VonSackemMiller
01-24-2012, 09:39 PM
**** allen he will flame out and be a DC in 2 years im not even worried. oaklands defense is not good. and they have no draft picks.

chazoe60
01-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Who do we go after to replace him? How much of our staff does he pilfer?

camdisco24
01-24-2012, 09:44 PM
As I've said, John Fox can and will find someone just as good or better.

If we had an offensive minded coach I'd be worried, but we have John Fox so I'm not at all.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Who do we go after to replace him? How much of our staff does he pilfer?

Honestly, I think Jack Del Rio makes the most sense. He just got fired as a HC so he won't be going anywhere anytime soon, he was the Ravens' LB coach when they won the Superbowl and knows how to effectively run a 4-3 with a rush LB (Boulware), and he was Fox's DC in Carolina the season they went to the Superbowl.

I know some may not like him, but he's probably the best fit if we stay 4-3 defense.

OrangeHoof
01-24-2012, 09:46 PM
I would have rather lost McCoy than Allen but, really, a defense ought to improve when you add Doom and Miller. Neither played for the Broncos last year.

OrangeHoof
01-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Honestly, I think Jack Del Rio makes the most sense. He just got fired as a HC so he won't be going anywhere anytime soon, he was the Ravens LB coach when they won the Superbowl and knows how to effectively run a 4-3 with a rush LB (Boulware), and he was Fox's DC in Carolina the season they went to the Superbowl.

I know some may not like him, but he's probably the best fit if we stay 4-3 defense.

You make a compelling argument. I think Del Rio knows offense the way Kubiak knows defense but, as a DC, he could be excellent.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Honestly, I think Jack Del Rio makes the most sense. He just got fired as a HC so he won't be going anywhere anytime soon, he was the Ravens' LB coach when they won the Superbowl and knows how to effectively run a 4-3 with a rush LB (Boulware), and he was Fox's DC in Carolina the season they went to the Superbowl.

Allen's departure means the Broncos will enter the 2012 season with their seventh defensive coordinator in the last seven seasons. Linebackers coach Richard Smith, a former defensive coordinator with the Houston Texans and the Dolphins would be the team's in-house candidate to replace Allen. Fox also likely would look at one of his former defensive coordinators in Carolina - former Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio. Del Rio was fired in November.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19807184

HORSEPOWER 56
01-24-2012, 09:56 PM
You make a compelling argument. I think Del Rio knows offense the way Kubiak knows defense but, as a DC, he could be excellent.

Not to mention, but Del Rio understands the importance of DTs in a 4-3 scheme. He saw Ray Lewis absolutely flourish behind Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa, had Kris Jenkins and Brentson Buckner in Carolina under Fox, and he was the one who pushed to draft Marcus Stroud and John Henderson in Jax.

If anything, Del Rio will want a "power triangle" (2 monster DTs and an animal MLB) in his 4-3 scheme. Hopefully, we'll re-sign Bunkley and target a DT early in the draft or in FA.

cmc0605
01-24-2012, 10:01 PM
The lack of continuity and consistency is annoying, but not a huge loss. Our defense may have improved, but it was still below average and we have the talent to play better. We have a pro bowler on every level of the defense and plenty of quality players like D.J. Williams, Goodman, Bunkley. Dawkins hurt when he went down, and we had some rookies, but we crashed and burned against every high quality passer we played (NE twice, DET, GB) and didn't look good at all against the run. We can do better.

jhildebrand
01-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Too bad McCoy cancelled his interview with the Raiders. I could stomach his departure.I think Allen is a HUGE up and coming talent and this is definitely a coup for the Raiders.

chazoe60
01-24-2012, 10:07 PM
I actually had hopes that Allen would someday replace Fox. This sucks. I feel bad for Champ, he's never had continuity with a DC.

DC's are the one spot the Broncos can't seem to get right. Shanny had it right with Coyer then he decided to scapegoat him after the AFCCG or this entire franchise could be in a different spot right now.

BeefStew25
01-24-2012, 10:12 PM
Del Rio makes me ill. Plus I know he is a marginal human.

No thanks.

Slick
01-24-2012, 10:19 PM
That's a bummer man.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2012, 10:27 PM
HONOLULU -- Denver Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey was visibly disappointed Tuesday upon learning that his defensive coordinator, Dennis Allen, had agreed to become coach of the AFC West rival Oakland Raiders.

"It will be another coordinator," Bailey said when told of the news at the Pro Bowl. "... I might sound a little selfish. I'm happy for him, don't get me wrong. At the same time, I'm thinking about our team. That's another change for us."

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8264cc12/article/bailey-allens-departure-just-means-more-change-for-broncos?module=HP11_headline_stack

BORDERLINE
01-24-2012, 10:28 PM
Well I always wish prosperity to everyone that deserves it.

I believe Allen should have stayed until he had a opportunity for a better position. The Raiders have always been dysfunctional and history shows his chances of staying 2+ seasons is unlikely.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Well I always wish prosperity to everyone that deserves it.

I believe Allen should have stayed until he had a opportunity for a better position. The Raiders have always been dysfunctional and history shows his chances of staying 2+ seasons is unlikely.

Maybe not now - they said this is the first time a coach on the defensive side of the ball has been the HC of the Raiders.

underrated29
01-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Ass ****.

Please do us a parting favor Allen and take McCoy with you! Im begging you.

OaklandRaider
01-24-2012, 10:35 PM
The Raiders have always been dysfunctional and history shows his chances of staying 2+ seasons is unlikely.

People keep saying this, but like I said in the other thread....These are not the Al Davis led Raiders anymore. The dysfunction is gone.

We have a GM for the first time in our history. He is a disciple of Ted Thompson and Ron Wolf from Green Bay. McKenzie is a very patient guy.

Allen will likely be here for a long time.

VonSackemMiller
01-24-2012, 10:37 PM
Maybe not now - they said this is the first time a coach on the defensive side of the ball has been the HC of the Raiders.

What does that mean? lol a coach is a coach at the end of the day, raiders fire coaches,.

Lancane
01-24-2012, 10:37 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19807184

Not sure how I feel about Smith, he's a good linebacker coach, but has been lackluster as a defensive coordinator. I'd prefer Jack Del Rio in all fairness.

I Eat Staples
01-24-2012, 10:42 PM
Well there goes our first good DC in years who wasn't chased away by his own coach...

We better get someone good to replace him, not our linebackers coach...

madmanbryan
01-24-2012, 10:49 PM
Defense was way over rated this year,hopefully itll get better next year..

wayninja
01-24-2012, 10:53 PM
People keep saying this, but like I said in the other thread....These are not the Al Davis led Raiders anymore. The dysfunction is gone.

We have a GM for the first time in our history. He is a disciple of Ted Thompson and Ron Wolf from Green Bay. McKenzie is a very patient guy.

Who are you trying to convince? Sorry, but as crazy as Al Davis was, he looks like a genius compared to his miquetoast son.

He may be playing copy-cat right now, but it remains to be seen whether or not he has patience and perserverance to stay any proper coarse.

We are talking about the same guy who gave up your future for Carson Palmer, right?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2012, 10:59 PM
Who are you trying to convince? Sorry, but as crazy as Al Davis was, he looks like a genius compared to his miquetoast son.

He may be playing copy-cat right now, but it remains to be seen whether or not he has patience and perserverance to stay any proper coarse.

We are talking about the same guy who gave up your future for Carson Palmer, right?

I heard that Hue Jackson was the reason that Palmer came to Oakland. I really don't think the son wants to be that involved - reason for McKenzie being hired as GM.

VonSackemMiller
01-24-2012, 11:01 PM
Defense was way over rated this year,hopefully itll get better next year..

It was kinda over rated, But the schemes were alright for the most part, I could see him growing into a beat of a DC turning HC. I dont think he was ready though.

madmanbryan
01-24-2012, 11:04 PM
Anybody think this will help the raiders win 2 games against denver next year?
I hope not

wayninja
01-24-2012, 11:05 PM
I heard that Hue Jackson was the reason that Palmer came to Oakland. I really don't think the son wants to be that involved - reason for McKenzie being hired as GM.

Jackson went to junior, pitched the idea and got the greenlight. It may not have been his idea, but it was given the davis blessing.

BORDERLINE
01-24-2012, 11:10 PM

Dysfunction is GONE? Well only time will tell. If the raidass start off slow do you believe fans will stand around and wait until he turns it around? A team that was "ELITE" by your standards. If Hue lost his job for going 8-8 and Cable lost his job for going 8-8. What record must Allen end up with to remain on board in 2 yrs???

karnage
01-24-2012, 11:20 PM
hope he has a ton of fun building a squad with no draft picks....and I'd wish the guy luck....but jumping ship in the division??? I hope he's worse than McDaniels...

Magnificent Seven
01-24-2012, 11:34 PM
CB Champ Bailey will play for an 11th defensive coordinator in his 14-season career. Washington had five DCs in his five seasons there, and Denver will hire its seventh DC since acquiring Bailey in 2004. He played for Mike Nolan with both teams (1999 in Washington; 2009 in Denver)

VonSackemMiller
01-24-2012, 11:40 PM
One thing about champ is that his job remains the same fellas. Cover a good WR and stop him from making plays. So i dont know why any corner would be bitching about the schemes, I can see if it was Safeties, Linebackers, Defensive linemen learning new techniques. Corners are corners.

Dapper Dan
01-24-2012, 11:45 PM
They have themselves a good DB coach. But whatever. I hope he does a Mike Shanahan and leaves soon.

BroncoStud
01-25-2012, 02:04 AM

McKenzie hasn't proven a damn thing. Tommy Boy is running things now and that is a far cry from even the ability of an old Al Davis.

I think Allen is a good coach and wanted him to be a Bronco, but he should have waited until a legit job opened up. The Raiders are a 2nd class organization and simply have no clue how to function.

tomjonesrocks
01-25-2012, 03:58 AM
Damn.

GEM
01-25-2012, 08:19 AM
Well, he was my MVP for this season. Now he is an Oakland ****tard. Enemy #1, go screw a pooch, Allen!

chazoe60
01-25-2012, 08:49 AM
Call me a coaches fan, I don't care, I'm following Allen to Oakland. I'm a Raider fan now.

OaklandRaider
01-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Call me a coaches fan, I don't care, I'm following Allen to Oakland. I'm a Raider fan now.

You won't be accepted into Raider Nation just that easily. You have to commit a crime first, and then maybe we'll welcome you to the Darkside.:cool:

chazoe60
01-25-2012, 09:05 AM
You won't be accepted into Raider Nation just that easily. You have to commit a crime first, and then maybe we'll welcome you to the Darkside.:cool:

Does the crime have to involve gang activity?

BroncoJoe
01-25-2012, 09:09 AM
NBD to me. It was Fox's scheme, Allen implemented it. We'll be just fine.

The Raiturds on the other hand? :laugh:

SOCALORADO.
01-25-2012, 09:13 AM

No. What he means is you have to go to a raider game, take a small plastic bag like the one commonly used as a "dime" bag, urinate in it, and then throw it down onto unsuspecting chokeland fans below you.

chazoe60
01-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Who is NBD Joe?

OaklandRaider
01-25-2012, 09:14 AM

No. All we require is that you commit a crime. You can do something simple like shoplifting, or J-walking, or littering. It doesn't matter as long as it's against the rules.

Me personally, I got accepted into Raider Nation after I murdered two baby kittens. That's just me though.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-25-2012, 09:16 AM

I wouldn't go quite that far, Joe. Fox deserves a lot of credit, but I'm sure Allen brought a lot to the scheme from what he learned under Greg Williams. If it was that easy to pick up where we left off, then Wink Martindale shouldn't have had as much problem running the same scheme after Mike Nolan left. We were awful under Wink.

I just hope we can bring in another guy who can take that next step and improve on the things that Fox/Allen did this year. I also hope we devote some draft picks and FA $ to improving the talent level of the defense. That will definitely help the next guy.

chazoe60
01-25-2012, 09:16 AM
No. All we require is that you commit a crime. You can do something simple like shoplifting, or J-walking, or littering. It doesn't matter as long as it's against the rules.

Me personally, I got accepted into Raider Nation after I murdered two baby kittens. That's just me though.

:laugh:

You're pretty funny when not posting in smack.

BTW, I have no problem choking out a kitten or two.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Who is NBD Joe?

No Big Deal.

OaklandRaider
01-25-2012, 09:18 AM

It wasn't Fox's scheme. It was Allen's scheme.

Allen is an aggressive defensive coordinator, who loves to blitz and get after the QB. John Fox almost never blitzed while he was in Carolina.

chazoe60
01-25-2012, 09:18 AM
No Big Deal.

I'm dumb

BroncoJoe
01-25-2012, 09:19 AM

Allen is an aggressive defensive coordinator, who loves to blitz and get after the QB. John Fox almost never blitzed while he was in Carolina.

We shall see.

SOCALORADO.
01-25-2012, 09:23 AM

This is true. Allens defense was basically Greg Williams defense all over again in DEN and the simple fact that he was able to duplicate it so well with so much trash in just 1 year is why hes the chokeland HC now.

chazoe60
01-25-2012, 09:26 AM
I've come to terms with Allen leaving, it sucks but it's done so no sense fretting about it. What I hope EFX guards against is Allen picking our bones clean by snagging a bunch of our assistants.

Lancane
01-25-2012, 09:51 AM
I've come to terms with Allen leaving, it sucks but it's done so no sense fretting about it. What I hope EFX guards against is Allen picking our bones clean by snagging a bunch of our assistants.

I agree, I think most have come to terms with the situation. However, I'd be perfectly fine with him raiding some of the staff, particularly a couple on the offensive side of the ball, one more then others!

:D

Unfortunately Denver might need to hire some of the old guard to prevent future raiding by other teams, since the NFL norm has become to hire the young coordinators away from teams as head coaches. And that should suit Elway and Fox, there running the Broncos with an Old School feel, which isn't exactly promising when you look at how success is found in the New NFL, defensively has a better chance to succeed that way, offensively...not so much.

Chef Zambini
01-25-2012, 09:57 AM
The lack of continuity and consistency is annoying, but not a huge loss. Our defense may have improved, but it was still below average and we have the talent to play better. We have a pro bowler on every level of the defense and plenty of quality players like D.J. Williams, Goodman, Bunkley. Dawkins hurt when he went down, and we had some rookies, but we crashed and burned against every high quality passer we played (NE twice, DET, GB) and didn't look good at all against the run. We can do better.GOODMAN, are you kidding?
goodman is turd personified !
He stinks in man coverage and usually bout of position in zone! goodman was the weakest link of our D and BRADY expoited his incompetence all day long !
you do know Goodman wears #21, right?
he casnt tackle, he avoids contact, he is the big hole in our defense, hello?

Chef Zambini
01-25-2012, 10:04 AM
allen should grab TUTEN, he is available !

Lancane
01-25-2012, 10:13 AM
allen should grab TUTEN, he is available !

McCoy should go as well, Oakland would get a two-for-one special! :lol:

TXBRONC
01-25-2012, 10:57 AM
This is true. Allens defense was basically Greg Williams defense all over again in DEN and the simple fact that he was able to duplicate it so well with so much trash in just 1 year is why hes the chokeland HC now.

Well it doesn't hurt to have arguably the best pair of edge pass rushers in the League.

MOtorboat
01-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Well it doesn't hurt to have arguably the best pair of edge pass rushers in the League.

My worry is that Del Rio's, and Fox's old system, might not utilize Miller as much as Allen's under and hybrid schemes. (And D.J., who really broke out at times this season as a dynamic, three-down guy, in run stopping, rushing the passer AND coverage). I'm afraid losing Allen will result in less imaginative uses of the talent we have on the edges.

Thnikkaman
01-25-2012, 11:12 AM

You can either be jumped in or raped in. Those are the two ways.

silkamilkamonico
01-25-2012, 11:30 AM
My worry is that Del Rio's, and Fox's old system, might not utilize Miller as much as Allen's under and hybrid schemes. (And D.J., who really broke out at times this season as a dynamic, three-down guy, in run stopping, rushing the passer AND coverage). I'm afraid losing Allen will result in less imaginative uses of the talent we have on the edges.

Agreed.

Del Rio is very old school. Pressure with the front 4. Keep offense in front of everyone else. We need to get a DC who will be aggressive and mix things up because we have too many dynami players on defense that can make plays in the right system as long as we can find a way to fill some holes we have.

rationalfan
01-25-2012, 11:32 AM

a valid concern. but, unlike some fans who live in the negative zone, I don't presume the team's coaches are morons. ignoring the talents of your best players is counter intuitive to winning. coaches like to win. they've seen what contributes to wins. straying from it would be the result of extreme hubris (mcd, shanny) or because there's a better scheme that utilizes those talents even more (no idea what that is, i'm not a coach).

like woody paige (read today's DPost), I'm into the idea of elevating richard smith to the D coordinator. he knows these players (especially the linebackers). he knows what schemes worked this year. he has experience. and he provides some continuity.

Lancane
01-25-2012, 11:33 AM
You can either be jumped in or raped in. Those are the two ways.

Females wishing to be members of a street gang have a choice, they can be jumped in or have sexual intercourse with certain members of that set, there is no rape to become gang affiliated, it's called being 'Sexed In'. Some gangs require you shoot a rival gang member or even at an innocent who they feel needs to be targeted, others accept members who attack and straight up fight members from a rival set. Not one American street gang rapes others to make them members, not saying that gang members don't rape people, some do...but not to become a part of that gang.

SOCALORADO.
01-25-2012, 11:40 AM

Allen benefitted from them, however, he and Fox took many sub par guys and made them really good. Bunkley, Ayers, Vickerson, harris to name a few.
I like that they got results. Actual, real, positive, damn results.

SOCALORADO.
01-25-2012, 11:41 AM

Screw Del Rio. Hire from within.
DB ccoach Ron Milus.

GEM
01-25-2012, 11:48 AM

You're pretty funny when not posting in smack.

BTW, I have no problem choking out a kitten or two.

Sneakers is going to go all postal on you.

You have been warned.

Lancane
01-25-2012, 11:48 AM
NFLN believes that Del Rio is the top candidate to replace Allen, according to them he and Coach Fox are close knit, so he is likely to get serious consideration for the vacated position.

TXBRONC
01-25-2012, 11:52 AM

I can't see Fox and whomever our defensive coordinator is not want Miller talent to rush the passer. It would be like that old saying of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Fox picked Allen to be the defensive coordinator so he had know how Allen wanted to run the defense. I can't see Fox wanting someone with a similar philosophy.

MOtorboat
01-25-2012, 12:11 PM
I can't see Fox and whomever our defensive coordinator is not want Miller talent to rush the passer. It would be like that old saying of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Fox picked Allen to be the defensive coordinator so he had know how Allen wanted to run the defense. I can't see Fox wanting someone with a similar philosophy.

I don't either, and I'm not purposefully trying to be negative, just pointing out some schematic difference's between Allen's defensive background and Del Rio's. My hope is that any new DC would fully understand Miller's talents.

TXBRONC
01-25-2012, 12:16 PM
I don't either, and I'm not purposefully trying to be negative, just pointing out some schematic difference's between Allen's defensive background and Del Rio's. My hope is that any new DC would fully understand Miller's talents.

I didn't take it as you being negative it's worth pointing out.

BroncoNut
01-25-2012, 12:17 PM
thanks Dennis Allen. thanks alot. I hope you fail miserably

Dapper Dan
01-25-2012, 12:18 PM
I'm dumb

That's what it really takes to be a Raiders fan.

BroncoJoe
01-25-2012, 12:19 PM
thanks Dennis Allen. thanks alot. I hope you fail miserably

This. Allen is now dead to me.

Dapper Dan
01-25-2012, 12:19 PM
What are you guys talking about? Tebow designed this defense with the help of Chuck Norris.

BroncoNut
01-25-2012, 12:20 PM
This. Allen is now dead to me.

i look at it this way. If he fails, he will get what he deserves for bailing on us, and at the same time, the Raiders will probalby not be that good of a team and beatable.

Lancane
01-25-2012, 12:25 PM
What are you guys talking about? Tebow designed this defense with the help of Chuck Norris.

All I got to say to that is...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-uS1jB3bUc1M/TuIQkqgpG4I/AAAAAAAADFs/sDU7_s94Wug/s1600/Bruce-Lee-Pictures-Latest-.jpg

:D

NightTerror218
01-25-2012, 12:25 PM
Funny a lot of raiders are not so happy about this hire.

NightTerror218
01-25-2012, 12:28 PM
I could see Allen cleaning some house in Oakland to get some draft picks. He has first hand how much of an impact a good rookie can make (Miller). I heard McFadden could be on trading block.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors?date=20120125&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2ffeatures%2frumors%3fdate%3d20120125#13698

BroncoNut
01-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Funny a lot of raiders are not so happy about this hire.

sounds like a pretty decent hire for that shitty organization. I hope OR celebrated by jumping out of a 15 story window.

Fullback32
01-25-2012, 12:51 PM
I could see Allen cleaning some house in Oakland to get some draft picks. He has first hand how much of an impact a good rookie can make (Miller). I heard McFadden could be on trading block.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors?date=20120125&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2ffeatures%2frumors%3fdate%3d20120125#13698

That would make sense since they gave enough away in order to get their QB *snicker*.

Still hate seeing one of ours go to "them." Of course the Raiders would do something like that. The good news is that Broncos know as much about Allen as Allen knows about the Broncos. Oh wait, that was under HIS regime. A new DC will mix things up so Allen may not have so much knowledge after all on that side of the ball anyway.

NightTerror218
01-25-2012, 12:58 PM
That would make sense since they gave enough away in order to get their QB *snicker*.

Still hate seeing one of ours go to "them." Of course the Raiders would do something like that. The good news is that Broncos know as much about Allen as Allen knows about the Broncos. Oh wait, that was under HIS regime. A new DC will mix things up so Allen may not have so much knowledge after all on that side of the ball anyway.

I also really hope McCoy has new playbook next season, or revamps it and removes most of the option.

wayninja
01-25-2012, 01:02 PM
I also really hope McCoy has new playbook next season, or revamps it and removes most of the option.

We will still have the option next year. Why wouldn't we? We had decent success with it.

The problem wasn't the option, the problem was leaning on it way too much and too predictably. As long as we use is sparingly, it can be a good weapon.

Lancane
01-25-2012, 01:05 PM
We will still have the option next year. Why wouldn't we? We had decent success with it.

The problem wasn't the option, the problem was leaning on it way too much and too predictably. As long as we use is sparingly, it can be a good weapon.

We found success with the option until better coached teams took it out of play and it became worthless...as the Wildcat did in Miami.

Hopefully McCoy comes in with a playbook that relies on the Air-Coryell, Pistol and Erhardt-Perkins offenses and very little of the option.

Fullback32
01-25-2012, 01:06 PM

I suppose a lot of that will depend on how well Tebow's arm develops...or not. :ponder:

OaklandRaider
01-25-2012, 01:18 PM

Lol nice sig you have there, sir.:lol:

Funny how you call Allen your "scraps" when he was the main reason your team improved this past season, lol.

slim
01-25-2012, 01:28 PM

Funny how you call Allen your "scraps" when he was the main reason your team improved this past season, lol.

NightTerror218
01-25-2012, 01:28 PM

I do not want it gone, but I do not want to be running an option offense. I want to have some option plays mixed in with our running game.

NightTerror218
01-25-2012, 01:29 PM
I suppose a lot of that will depend on how well Tebow's arm develops...or not. :ponder:

I want TT to run a more NFL offense because obviously the option did not work so well being ran as heavy as it was. If TT can not run a more NFL offense then he is not going to make it.

NightTerror218
01-25-2012, 01:30 PM

I guess having better players (Miller, Bunkley) and having players like Doom back, Dawkins healthy for most of season, just did not help at all.

slim
01-25-2012, 01:35 PM
I guess having better players (Miller, Bunkley) and having players like Doom back, Dawkins healthy for most of season, just did not help at all.

Better players, John Fox looking over his shoulder and an offense designed to shorten the game.

I like Allen, but I think some people are getting a little carried away.

wayninja
01-25-2012, 02:22 PM
We found success with the option until better coached teams took it out of play and it became worthless...as the Wildcat did in Miami.

Hopefully McCoy comes in with a playbook that relies on the Air-Coryell, Pistol and Erhardt-Perkins offenses and very little of the option.

It wasn't coaching that did the option in, it was the mere fact that other teams KNEW we were going to run it. Which is why the wildcat failed. There was a predictable formation that was a 'tell' for the wildcat. The only 'tell' the option has is that we didn't stray from it too much and didn't pass out of it hardly at all (if at all).

The option has the potential to be much more lasting a weapon than the wildcat. The trick is, you actually have to pass the ball.

wayninja
01-25-2012, 02:24 PM

Oh, I bet you were all saying in Oakland how Allen had really turned a bottom barrel defense into a lower-teir defense before the sloppy seconds. I'm just sure of it.

We got a new head coach too, in case you guys don't read in between gang fights.

broncosfannum24
01-25-2012, 02:52 PM
We shouldn't worry, it was john fox defense Allen was using, Allen called the plays. John fox has history of top notch defenses when in carolina

VonSackemMiller
01-25-2012, 03:02 PM
broncos defense went from 31 to 24th, giving up 25 a game.... Improvement but not pick up and leave improvement.

Ziggy
01-25-2012, 03:05 PM
broncos defense went from 31 to 24th, giving up 25 a game.... Improvement but not pick up and leave improvement.

It was a major improvement to a defense that has holes at DT, MLB, CB, and safety.

Ziggy
01-25-2012, 03:06 PM
We shouldn't worry, it was john fox defense Allen was using, Allen called the plays. John fox has history of top notch defenses when in carolina

It wasn't a John Fox style of defense. It more of a Greg Williams/Dennis Allen style of attacking, aggressive, constantly blitzing D.

slim
01-25-2012, 03:12 PM
It was a major improvement to a defense that has holes at DT, MLB, CB, and safety.

The D improved, but calling it a "major improvement" is a bit much. For a major improvement, we could look at the Houston D.

At any rate, Allen certainly does not get all of the credit for the marginal improvement. They also added 2 pro bowl players (Doom and Miller) and a solid DT in the offseason.

I would say the FO, Fox, the players and Allen all deserve equal credit for the improvement.

Ziggy
01-25-2012, 03:32 PM
The D improved, but calling it a "major improvement" is a bit much. For a major improvement, we could look at the Houston D.

At any rate, Allen certainly does not get all of the credit for the marginal improvement. They also added 2 pro bowl players (Doom and Miller) and a solid DT in the offseason.

I would say the FO, Fox, the players and Allen all deserve equal credit for the improvement.

When you're right, you're right. Good call Slim.

NightTerror218
01-25-2012, 03:43 PM
in a way smart move by Raiders, if they can get 1 more win from the Broncos then they could be the AFC West champs. Hurt broncos by trying to take away their strong spot, defense.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-25-2012, 04:04 PM
By Monte Poole
Bay Area News Group

When Dennis Allen is introduced as the next Raiders coach, he'll make his entrance to the hushed tones of skepticism.

Unlike the signing of Jim Harbaugh last year by the 49ers, which was widely considered a "touchdown" hire, this move falls into the third-and-long category.

The rookie coach either finds a way to convert under pressure, or rookie general manager Reggie McKenzie will be forced to punt.

rest - http://www.mercurynews.com/raiders/ci_19814547

sneakers
01-25-2012, 04:13 PM
oh well

wayninja
01-25-2012, 04:29 PM
By Monte Poole
Bay Area News Group

rest - http://www.mercurynews.com/raiders/ci_19814547

I don't understand the analogies. Is it sort of like 4th and goal and they are looking for a triple-double for a homerun?

dogfish
01-25-2012, 05:28 PM
dennis allen can suck it!

Lancane
01-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Oakland might be our hated rivals, but I wish Allen marginal success, because he'll always have ties to this franchise. However, I hope we kick their ***** every meeting during his tenure and beyond, that's the point of a rivalry...that said, I can respect my rival at the same time as well, and I think Oakland made a solid hire.

Now if only they'd take McCoy, then we could hire Del Rio and Tom Clements - just wishful thinking, but still!

:lol:

aberdien
01-25-2012, 05:51 PM
I had always assumed Dennis Allen was a black guy. Then they showed his picture on ESPN.

WTF

SOCALORADO.
01-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Oakland might be our hated rivals, but I wish Allen marginal success, because he'll always have ties to this franchise. However, I hope we kick their ***** every meeting during his tenure and beyond, that's the point of a rivalry...that said, I can respect my rival at the same time as well, and I think Oakland made a solid hire.

Now if only they'd take McCoy, then we could hire Del Rio and Tom Clements - just wishful thinking, but still!

Clements! Man, i have wanted him to be DENs OC for a while now.
I was throwing his name around months ago. Would LOVE for him to
come in to DEN!
I think he would want to bring Flynn with him though. Could cause some friction.
If DelRio is the guy, i wont b!tch.

BroncoNut
01-26-2012, 02:57 PM
I had always assumed Dennis Allen was a black guy. Then they showed his picture on ESPN.

WTF

He isn't black? that's bullshit

Traveler
01-26-2012, 03:13 PM

For an 8-8 team, why are our coordinators in such high demand? We very well could be looking for new coodinators for both the offense and defense if McCoy hadn't overplayed his hand in MIA.

Superchop 7
01-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Well.....he has his work cut out for him.

Got a feeling this ends badly in 2-3 years.

wayninja
01-26-2012, 05:32 PM
For an 8-8 team, why are our coordinators in such high demand? We very well could be looking for new coodinators for both the offense and defense if McCoy hadn't overplayed his hand in MIA.

They are hoping to turn around their 8-8 season with our 8-8 coordinator.

Seems sound.

OaklandRaider
01-26-2012, 07:10 PM

IMO, I think it had to do with the fact that Tebow was your QB.

People looked at Dennis Allen and said, wow this guy has this defense winning games for this team. They have a QB in Tim Tebow, who can't throw and goes 3 and Out most of the time but yet this defense is still keeping them in the games.

And people might've looked at Mike McCoy, and said, he's doing a solid job changing his offensive philosophies to fit around Tim Tebow's limited skillset. Tebow was able to have SOME marginal success before teams started to figure him out, and that speaks highly of McCoy putting Tim Tebow in situations to succeed. If he can do this with Tebow, imagine what he can do for other guys who are far more skilled.