PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Allen to get second interview with Raiders

MOtorboat
01-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Looks like we're not out of the woods yet.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/23/dennis-allen-to-get-second-interview-with-raiders/

LTC Pain
01-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Looks like we're not out of the woods yet.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/23/dennis-allen-to-get-second-interview-with-raiders/

Winston Moss will get that job. Packer connection.

Timmy!
01-23-2012, 12:22 PM
http://animalish.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/cat-talking-no-nono.jpg

MasterShake
01-23-2012, 12:23 PM
Damn. I like Allen, plus it would be nice to have a D-Coordinator for a few seasons at least. I think they said Champ has had 9 in 11 years or something?

DenBronx
01-23-2012, 12:31 PM
I wish Allen would just decline. It's way too early for him anyway.

This would be bad for the Broncos and I don't like this at all.

GEM
01-23-2012, 12:33 PM
That monkey looking bowl cut needs to keep his dirty mitts off Allen.

rationalfan
01-23-2012, 12:45 PM
in the spirit of debate ...

Would it really be THAT bad to lose Dennis Allen? And, would losing him be worse than losing McCoy? Part of me says "no" and "no." Here's why:

- Denver's defense wasn't that good last year. Improved? Yes. Average? No, not according to stats. The D still ranked 20th in the league. It was 18th against the pass and 22nd against the run. Granted, this is major improvement from recent years. But it isn't blowing people away - especially the final 1/4 of the season. Conversely, McCoy led the offense of the number one ranked rushing team in the league. Denver's offense wasn't stellar, but at least they were dominant/great at something. You can't say the same about any aspect of the defense.

- If Allen leaves, Denver still has Fox, who might actually be the architect of Denver's defensive schemes, anyway.

- Do we credit Allen with the D's improvement? Or should we credit Von Miller for the D's improvement? Yes, it takes more than one player to make the D work, but Miller's presence was significant. And his play after the thumb injury was also significant, because the entire defense looked negatively impacted by the lack of his full ability - less QB pressure, less turnovers, etc.

Hey, I don't want to see Allen to go either. But I don't believe he's the difference-maker for Denver's defense.

wayninja
01-23-2012, 12:48 PM

Would it really be THAT bad to lose Dennis Allen? And, would losing him be worse than losing McCoy? Part of me says "no" and "no." Here's why:

- Denver's defense wasn't that good last year. Improved? Yes. Average? No, not according to stats. The D still ranked 20th in the league. It was 18th against the pass and 22nd against the run. Granted, this is major improvement from recent years. But it isn't blowing people away - especially the final 1/4 of the season. Conversely, McCoy led the offense of the number one ranked rushing team in the league. Denver's offense wasn't stellar, but at least they were dominant/great at something. You can't say the same about any aspect of the defense.

- If Allen leaves, Denver still has Fox, who might actually be the architect of Denver's defensive schemes, anyway.

- Do we credit Allen with the D's improvement? Or should we credit Von Miller for the D's improvement? Yes, it takes more than one player to make the D work, but Miller's presence was significant. And his play after the thumb injury was also significant, because the entire defense looked negatively impacted by the lack of his full ability - less QB pressure, less turnovers, etc.

Hey, I don't want to see Allen to go either. But I don't believe he's the difference-maker for Denver's defense.

You make a good point, but my biggest beef is the merry-go-round of coaches and players for the last few years. That insanity has to end and no time like the present.

Von was definitely a force on the team, but I (dis)credit our teams decline in defense at the end more to Dawkins going out than Von getting hurt.

Northman
01-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Has anyone picked up Spags yet?

Northman
01-23-2012, 12:50 PM
You make a good point, but my biggest beef is the merry-go-round of coaches and players for the last few years. That insanity has to end and no time like the present.

Von was definitely a force on the team, but I (dis)credit our teams decline in defense at the end more to Dawkins going out than Von getting hurt.

Yep. Consistency and chemistry both with players and coaches has been the achilles heel of this team for the last 6 years.

wayninja
01-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Has anyone picked up Spags yet?

Saints

NightTrainLayne
01-23-2012, 12:55 PM

Totally disagree. Allen (and Fox) made that improvement without much investment in talent. We're not world-beaters yet, but our talent level on the defensive side is still sub-par.

Allen (and Fox) woked wonders on that defense imo. But the Patriots figured us out, especially after the first game. They game planned perfectly to take advantage of our nickel package.

BroncoJoe
01-23-2012, 12:58 PM

My thoughts exactly. Allen may have just implemented Fox's system.

underrated29
01-23-2012, 01:09 PM

Then on the other side of the token, would it not be Tim tebow who made the rush offense go from worst to first, as you are saying it did with Von.

And mccoy would not have been a loss.

Here is mccoy, run, option, 3rd down go route pass, punt...Those are the only plays he knows. And NO ONE has yet to prove otherwise. The guy is terrible and had talent.

Allen did/does not. Plus, like others have said we need consitency. Our defense needs to have somthing consistent. O coordinators are much easier to replace imo then DC. Defense wins championships.

It would be HUGE loss and then he would be going to a Rival.

wayninja
01-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Then on the other side of the token, would it not be Tim tebow who made the rush offense go from worst to first, as you are saying it did with Von.

And mccoy would not have been a loss.

Here is mccoy, run, option, 3rd down go route pass, punt...Those are the only plays he knows. And NO ONE has yet to prove otherwise. The guy is terrible and had talent.

Allen did/does not. Plus, like others have said we need consitency. Our defense needs to have somthing consistent. O coordinators are much easier to replace imo then DC. Defense wins championships.

It would be HUGE loss and then he would be going to a Rival.

Oh, great, someone opened up the Tebow box.

To answer your question, Tebow had nothing to do with anything positive the Broncos did. It was either bad defenses, bad coaching, McGahee playing out of his mind or the OL. Or luck. Tebow just happened to be in the same building.

MOtorboat
01-23-2012, 01:22 PM

Schematically, the Broncos defense looked more like Gregg Williams' Saints than John Fox's Panthers...

wayninja
01-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Schematically, the Broncos defense looked more like Gregg Williams' Saints than John Fox's Panthers...

Since I didn't really study either of those defenses extensively, what specifically leads you to this conclusion? What did the saints do differently from the panthers?

MOtorboat
01-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Since I didn't really study either of those defenses extensively, what specifically leads you to this conclusion? What did the saints do differently from the panthers?

Use of over/under and odd formations and linebackers blitzing.

The Panthers under Fox played pretty straight up, like the Giants. Mostly because they could, as Peppers is/was a beast and Kris Jenkins, but still he fit that team with personnel to play straight up 4-3. This defense was kind of a hybrid.

Not saying Fox didn't have anything to do with that, because he's the one who hired Allen, just saying schematically it looked different than Fox's defenses in Carolina.

If Allen does leave, it would be interesting to see who he hires and what type of background that person has.

underrated29
01-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Use of over/under and odd formations and linebackers blitzing.

The Panthers under Fox played pretty straight up, like the Giants. Mostly because they could, as Peppers is/was a beast and Kris Jenkins, but still he fit that team with personnel to play straight up 4-3. This defense was kind of a hybrid.

Not saying Fox didn't have anything to do with that, because he's the one who hired Allen, just saying schematically it looked different than Fox's defenses in Carolina.

If Allen does leave, it would be interesting to see who he hires and what type of background that person has.

I have heard spags, and del rio...

Del rio- worked with fox in carolina i think also.

Mike
01-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Spags is with the Saints now, I think.

G_Money
01-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Allen is far more about pressure blitzes and a well-played secondary than Fox is. I liked the mix, though the problem was that when Moore flopped and later Dawk went out, our secondary couldn't do what Allen needed them to do for his scheme to be consistent.

I agree with Mo - it's a hybrid, with Allen having definite input. It's not just Fox's scheme. I don't expect Allen to get the job. If he does get it, I would expect us to go get Ken Flajole (he's still without a job after the Rams canned the staff, right?) since he coached under Fox for many years in Carolina.

The guy I'd prefer would be Mike Trgovac, who got let go in Carolina because their owner was a cheap SOB. He's the DL coach for the Pack and spent the last several years watching Dom Capers do his genius thing.

Yeah, that's a 3-4 team and we're a 4-3, but Trgovac ran a 4-3 for Fox for many years. If he came back, we'd likely go back to more of what Fox did with the Panthers.

I'm okay with that, if we get the personnel to do it. I like Allen, and I'd like him to stay. If he goes, though, there are decent options to maintain the growth curve we're on, IMO.

~G

BeefStew25
01-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Please lord no Del Rio.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-23-2012, 02:06 PM

IMO it would be bad to lose Allen, as the DC position for the Broncos has been like a revolving door - absolutely no stability - how long have the defensive players been learning a new system, almost yearly, been exposed to how many new DC's, etc. - that needs to stop.

SOCALORADO.
01-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Allen is far more about pressure blitzes and a well-played secondary than Fox is. I liked the mix, though the problem was that when Moore flopped and later Dawk went out, our secondary couldn't do what Allen needed them to do for his scheme to be consistent.

I agree with Mo - it's a hybrid, with Allen having definite input. It's not just Fox's scheme. I don't expect Allen to get the job. If he does get it, I would expect us to go get Ken Flajole (he's still without a job after the Rams canned the staff, right?) since he coached under Fox for many years in Carolina.

The guy I'd prefer would be Mike Trgovac, who got let go in Carolina because their owner was a cheap SOB. He's the DL coach for the Pack and spent the last several years watching Dom Capers do his genius thing.

Yeah, that's a 3-4 team and we're a 4-3, but Trgovac ran a 4-3 for Fox for many years. If he came back, we'd likely go back to more of what Fox did with the Panthers.

I'm okay with that, if we get the personnel to do it. I like Allen, and I'd like him to stay. If he goes, though, there are decent options to maintain the growth curve we're on, IMO.

~G

I also agree. Its a hybrid, and it has a ton of Greg Williams defensive fronts in it, but who cares!?!?! Allens defense is working. Period.
The guy is doing an absolutely fantastic job, especially considering what hes working with.
I swear, if DEN loses Allen i am gonna be pissed.
This constant merry go round of coordinators is killing this team.

G_Money
01-23-2012, 02:18 PM
I also agree. Its a hybrid, and it has a ton of Greg Williams defensive fronts in it, but who cares!?!?! Allens defense is working. Period.
The guy is doing an absolutely fantastic job, especially considering what hes working with.
I swear, if DEN loses Allen i am gonna be pissed.
This constant merry go round of coordinators is killing this team.

It's not like the Broncos are firing him. They hired a good man who is getting HC interviews now BECAUSE he's good.

If he leaves, it's because he got a head coaching gig that we couldn't offer him because we've already got one. That's not anybody's fault.

I can't be pissed because it's nobody's fault. If he leaves we go on, and trust that the stability of Fox and his defensive philosophies makes whoever takes over for Allen a smooth transition.

~G

wayninja
01-23-2012, 02:22 PM
It's not like the Broncos are firing him. They hired a good man who is getting HC interviews now BECAUSE he's good.

If he leaves, it's because he got a head coaching gig that we couldn't offer him because we've already got one. That's not anybody's fault.

I can't be pissed because it's nobody's fault. If he leaves we go on, and trust that the stability of Fox and his defensive philosophies makes whoever takes over for Allen a smooth transition.

~G

Agreed, I won't be happy if he goes (ESPECIALLY since it will be to the hated raiders), but you can't begrudge the guy taking a shot at a top job.

BeefStew25
01-23-2012, 02:29 PM
I kinda think the Raiders might be growing a brain, and that worries me.

G_Money
01-23-2012, 02:31 PM
They just fired the guy who made Carson Palmer comfortable, have flushed all their 2012 draftpicks, are installing another coaching regime and philosophy and still have some catastrophes in FA to create (ie, letting Michael Bush go).

If it's a brain, it's a slow-manifesting one. We'll see. The early returns are inconclusive at best.

~G

underrated29
01-23-2012, 02:32 PM
I think he is saying more along the lines of......We keep getting a new DC every year because they suck so bad and now after 7 years we finally get a good one only to have him leave because he was so good.

Ima be pissed too.

ESp. if we keep mccoy and lose allen. The exact opposite of what this team needs.

wayninja
01-23-2012, 02:34 PM
They just fired the guy who made Carson Palmer comfortable, have flushed all their 2012 draftpicks, are installing another coaching regime and philosophy and still have some catastrophes in FA to create (ie, letting Michael Bush go).

If it's a brain, it's a slow-manifesting one. We'll see. The early returns are inconclusive at best.

~G

Your are on your game today, Money. This is spot on. The Raiders look like they are in a worse collapse than we were last year.

SOCALORADO.
01-23-2012, 02:35 PM

~G

While i see your point, it would be nice to keep a guy for a few years and have some real success. Kevin Gilbride has been in NY for 5 years now, and before that he was the QB coach. Cam Camerons been in BALT for a while now, what? 3-4 years?
Jeez, it seems that failed HCs that want back in as an OC/DC are the best way to go!!!!! I guess Allen needs to go to the fade, fail, and then go back to being a really good DC. Un freakin real.

wayninja
01-23-2012, 02:50 PM
While i see your point, it would be nice to keep a guy for a few years and have some real success. Kevin Gilbride has been in NY for 5 years now, and before that he was the QB coach. Cam Camerons been in BALT for a while now, what? 3-4 years?
Jeez, it seems that failed HCs that want back in as an OC/DC are the best way to go!!!!! I guess Allen needs to go to the fade, fail, and then go back to being a really good DC. Un freakin real.

It's not a done deal yet. McCoy also got a second interview but not the gig. Rumors are that he's not the frontrunner, but they are just rumors.

We'll see.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Another article posted a couple of hours ago:

from article:

If Allen gets the Oakland job, Denver would have to hire its seventh defensive coordinator in seven seasons. One candidate to replace Allen could be former Jacksonville coach Jack Del Rio. He was the defensive coordinator in Carolina under Denver coach John Fox in 2002 before he got the Jaguars’ job.

full article - http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/52763/allen-takes-big-step-in-oakland-process

SOCALORADO.
01-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Another article posted a couple of hours ago:

from article:

full article - http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/52763/allen-takes-big-step-in-oakland-process

Morningkeg better get that job, dammit.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-23-2012, 09:38 PM
Bears offensive coordinator Mike Tice will not interview for the Raiders’ head-coaching position because Oakland has moved forward with the second phase of its interview process.

Last week the Raiders had asked to permission to interview Tice. But Oakland reportedly has opted to focus on a second interview with Broncos defensive coordinator Dennis Allen.

http://chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=8588

VonSackemMiller
01-23-2012, 10:27 PM
if allen did leave jack del rio would be a good fit.

Jsteve01
01-23-2012, 11:05 PM

Beat me to the punch....all the creative blitzes favored a Williams scheme

MOtorboat
01-23-2012, 11:09 PM

No he wouldn't.

His defensive philosophy is completely different than Fox's, despite the fact he spent one year in Carolina and they worked together as position coaches in Baltimore.

Fox wants speed, Del Rio wants size. To that effect, Miller doesn't fit in any scheme Del Rio would incorporate and he's very important to the future of this team. That's why I'm very concerned with who Fox hires to replace Allen if he does leave. Miller is the key piece in the defense and how they use him could dictate the success of the defense for years to come.

VonSackemMiller
01-24-2012, 12:08 AM
No he wouldn't.

His defensive philosophy is completely different than Fox's, despite the fact he spent one year in Carolina and they worked together as position coaches in Baltimore.

Fox wants speed, Del Rio wants size. To that effect, Miller doesn't fit in any scheme Del Rio would incorporate and he's very important to the future of this team. That's why I'm very concerned with who Fox hires to replace Allen if he does leave. Miller is the key piece in the defense and how they use him could dictate the success of the defense for years to come.

Dennis allens defense is differant,than anythung fox ran in carolina so what does that mean? When you have a lb like von miller you send him on blitzes and line him up everywhere. Del rio knows a thing or two about linebacker play. But all In all we hired the wrong HC from start. The broncos should be in a 3 4 defense, von miller is way better suited in the 3 4, that way we dont have to give up a guy in coverage just to send him on a blitz. With 4 down.

Rick
01-24-2012, 09:49 AM
While we would have an awesome pass rushing 3-4 we would be just as pathetic vs the run as we were when we last ran the 3-4. We do not have a 3-4 DL, especially NT.

Ayers was decent on a 4-3 line, and was pointless as a 3-4 LBer so he would be a waste.

Bunkley, Warren, Thomas and Co. could probably do adequate at 3-4 DE but we do not have that clogger NT that is the heart of the 3-4 on this team and have failed miserably finding him in the past.

Having it where Miller lines up at DE and Ayers moves to DT on passing downs is good, then on normal downs having Miller at LBer is fine, let him blitz and move him around.

Yes it does leave an area uncovered when they blitz him but that is the nature of the blitz.

If someone else on that line would step up and provide pressure besides Doom then the open guy won't be such a problem as it will be tough to find him in time. With Doom and Miller as the only real pressure that is a problem, we need more pressure from Ayers and the DT position. Doesn't have to be 12 sack production but those spots have to just put some pressure on and take advantage on double teams Doom and Miller might get.

We got 0 sacks from Thomas and Bunkley and only 3 from Ayers. That is much more of an issue that Miller leaving a spot uncovered. Get just a little more pressure from those 3 spots and Miller's problem is solved.

Jsteve01
01-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Dennis allens defense is differant,than anythung fox ran in carolina so what does that mean? When you have a lb like von miller you send him on blitzes and line him up everywhere. Del rio knows a thing or two about linebacker play. But all In all we hired the wrong HC from start. The broncos should be in a 3 4 defense, von miller is way better suited in the 3 4, that way we dont have to give up a guy in coverage just to send him on a blitz. With 4 down.

He was hands down the best 4-3 backer in the game last year. I mean by a wide margin. A lot of his sacks didn't come off all out blitzes. They came off zone or in passing situations where he lined up as an end.

Jsteve01
01-24-2012, 10:12 AM
I just had a name pop into my head for a coordinator. Raheem Morris. I could sign off on that one.

edit: he's now the db coach in washington lol

Lancane
01-24-2012, 10:17 AM
We could move McCoy over to DC, Rick Dennison was a former linebacker and defensive assistant before moving to the offensive side of the ball, maybe McCoy would be a defensive genius and we could hire a better OC!

:lol:

Em'kay...back to reality.

spikerman
01-24-2012, 10:43 AM
We could move McCoy over to DC, Rick Dennison was a former linebacker and defensive assistant before moving to the offensive side of the ball, maybe McCoy would be a defensive genius and we could hire a better OC!

Em'kay...back to reality.

Well, according to the people who don't like him, he does seem to know a thing or two about keeping offenses from doing too much damage. :nixon:

TXBRONC
01-24-2012, 10:59 AM

Fox was the wrong? No I don't think so.

Fox is the one who moved Tebow to starter there is no way to know if Tebow would have gotten to start if a different head coach had been hire. Fox is the reason Allen is our defensive coordinator and if Allen's philosophy was so much different from what Fox wants to do he wouldn't have been hired.

I prefer a 3-4 defense that said Fox knows exactly what to do with a defense. He said our personnel was better suited for a 4-3 and I'm not going to argue with a guy who been on the defensive side of the ball most of his adult life.

A couple of other things. You do know that in a base 4-3 if you send only four rushers it's not a blitz so you're losing nothing in coverage. Besides that Miller was lined up as defensive end a good portion of the time so we didn't lose anything in coverage. Also when Miller was lined up as a defensive end we were in nickle and dime packages.

Joel
01-24-2012, 11:04 AM
I'd definitely be much unhappier losing Allen than McCoy, because only Houston improved its defense more than us last year. Our rankings in total passing/running yards surrendered are misleading, because teams with as many three and outs as ours give up scads of yards.

Our yards per play went from 5.9 (29th) to 5.4 (16th.)

Our yards per pass went from 7.8 (30th) to 7.5 (T-20th) and it would probably be better if our pass D hadn't collapsed once Dawk went out and Miller got his cast.

Our yards per rush went from 4.7 (28th, but since it's a 4 way tie we were next to last) to 4.1 (T-11th.)

So we went from the bottom five in EVERYTHING to the middle of the pack in everything. Despite leaving our D on the field WAY too much in WAY too many games.

As others have noted, our young defensive players also need stability as much as our young offensive ones. We certainly don't need to lose our defensive guru to the team that lost the Division to us on a tiebreak.

Tned
01-24-2012, 11:46 AM
I'd definitely be much unhappier losing Allen than McCoy, because only Houston improved its defense more than us last year. Our rankings in total passing/running yards surrendered are misleading, because teams with as many three and outs as ours give up scads of yards.

Prepare to be unhappy.

Schefter just Tweeted:

RT @AdamSchefter: Raiders have identified Broncos DC Dennis Allen as the leading candidate to become their next HC. Raiders told other candidates they're out.

TXBRONC
01-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Prepare to be unhappy.

Schefter just Tweeted:

Well that's just great. :tsk:

Tned
01-24-2012, 11:48 AM

I lost count, will that make 6 DC's in 6 years, or 6 in 5 years, or 7 in 6 or something crazy like that?

Lancane
01-24-2012, 11:51 AM

Maybe we can make a package deal, we'll send them Allen and McCoy. It sucks that we'd lose Allen, but if we lose him I think it's only fair we lose the one that was less important and less fundamental to the future as well!

spikerman
01-24-2012, 11:51 AM
I lost count, will that make 6 DC's in 6 years, or 6 in 5 years, or 7 in 6 or something crazy like that?

Isn't it 7 in 7?

Jsteve01
01-24-2012, 11:52 AM
effing great. Not only do we lose our talented young coordinator but we also lose continuity

Jsteve01
01-24-2012, 11:55 AM
this sucks

SOCALORADO.
01-24-2012, 12:02 PM
this sucks

This. Sucks.

Tned
01-24-2012, 12:07 PM
Isn't it 7 in 7?

Yep, per the source, AKA Lindsay Jones:

RT @PostBroncos: 06 - Coyer; 07 - Bates/Slowik; 08 - Slowik; 09 - Nolan; 10 - Martindale; 11 - Allen

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Isn't it 7 in 7?

Yes, it is 7 in 7.

Also, Mike Evans and Joel Klatt were talking about this not long ago, and one of them said how awkward this has to be for the Broncos - Allen is down in Mobile with the Broncos' FO-coaching staff, evaluating the players. I wonder if the conversation in front of Allen in regards to certain players, is limited :eek:

Lancane
01-24-2012, 12:22 PM
Yes, it is 7 in 7.

Also, Mike Evans and Joel Klatt were talking about this not long ago, and one of them said how awkward this has to be for the Broncos - Allen is down in Mobile with the Broncos' FO-coaching staff, evaluating the players. I wonder if the conversation in front of Allen in regards to certain players, is limited :eek:

That's a good question, and that is why some teams only allow certain coaches like the head and positional assistants and management staff such as general managers and scout personnel go to such functions.

SOCALORADO.
01-24-2012, 12:46 PM
From what i am reading, Allen is all but gone to chokeland.
So now what?

I actually think DENs best bet for the position is from within.
Ron Milus

TXBRONC
01-24-2012, 12:48 PM

Sadly it makes 7 straight.

Softskull
01-24-2012, 12:51 PM
I don't think he's going anywhere. I think the new Raiders GM is picking the brain of our top defensive guy. He's young and bright, but those have big downsides as a head coach (hello Josh). Allen has been good but he still had troubles this year. I just don't see him as ready to take on the head coaching position just yet. Besides, with all the offensive talent on the Raiders, I still think they have the potential to be a powerhouse on that side of the ball. I suspect they will grab someone from GB.

BeefStew25
01-24-2012, 12:53 PM

Del Rio works about 5 hours a day. No thanks.

TXBRONC
I don't think he's going anywhere. I think the new Raiders GM is picking the brain of our top defensive guy. He's young and bright, but those have big downsides as a head coach (hello Josh). Allen has been good but he still had troubles this year. I just don't see him as ready to take on the head coaching position just yet. Besides, with all the offensive talent on the Raiders, I still think they have the potential to be a powerhouse on that side of the ball. I suspect they will grab someone from GB.

Maybe he isn't ready but I put nothing past the Raiders.

dogfish
FML

gawdamn stinking raitards!

bring on mike trgovac. . . .

broncobryce
01-24-2012, 12:56 PM
Even if he leaves, Fox is a defensive coach so I think we'll be ok. It does suck for continuity purposes though.

broncobryce
01-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Only thing that would worry me is Allen knows everything about our offense.

wayninja
01-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Only thing that would worry me is Allen knows everything about our offense.

True, he knows the run,draw,run, punt scheme pretty well.

spikerman
01-24-2012, 01:00 PM
ESPN now reporting it as "Raiders have found their man."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7497230/oakland-raiders-hope-hire-denver-broncos-dennis-allen-coach-sources-say

jhildebrand
01-24-2012, 01:00 PM
ESPN just updated story to include Raiders are now going to work towards finalizing a contract with Allen.

THIS SUCKS!

You would think the Raiders, if they wanted a DC to run their team, would wait for a more established commodity like Perry Fewell!

Softskull
01-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Maybe he isn't ready but I put nothing past the Raiders.

I hear you...they are scum.

But I'd like to think with the death of Big Al, they might actually start to act like a NFL team. That doesn't mean they wont grab Allen, the AFC West has an incestuous past, but if I was a new GM, the last thing I would stack my new future on is a very green DC. If he Allen fails down there, it could be a very gig for McKenzie. And with big offenses being the NFL du jour, I doubt he brings in a defensive minded coach.

wayninja
01-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Sounds like they saw a benefit in not only getting a HC, but hurting a division rival in the process.

Oh well. Allen is now the enemy. No mercy. Sweep the leg.

DenBronx
01-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Why in the heck would the raiders hire a DC from a defense that was ranked 18?

Why not hire one from a top 5 defense?

broncobryce
01-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Do we have any defensive free agents that might go with him?

dogfish
01-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Do we have any defensive free agents that might go with him?

wes woodyard, mario haggan, joe mays, brodrick bunkley, marcus thomas and jason hunter are all FAs. . . whether he would want to take any of them to oakland, i have no idea. . .

MOtorboat
01-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Anyone else see the Shanahan parallels?

claymore
01-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Hopefully he trades us for Tebow! :flame:

Lancane
01-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Hopefully he trades us for Tebow! :flame:

His values might be lost on the fans there though! :shocked:

Tned
01-24-2012, 01:51 PM
wes woodyard, mario haggan, joe mays, brodrick bunkley, marcus thomas and jason hunter are all FAs. . . whether he would want to take any of them to oakland, i have no idea. . .

Except for Woodyard, Haggan, Bunkley, Thomas and Hunter, I could care less if we lose any of those defensive FAs.

dogfish
01-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Anyone else see the Shanahan parallels?

no. . . i'd say you're REALLY forcing that one. . .

Tned
01-24-2012, 01:58 PM
no. . . i'd say you're REALLY forcing that one. . .

I was hoping he would elaborate, because I have no idea what he's getting at. Parallels between Fox and Shanny? If so, then I would have to ask that his urine be tested before he posts anymore.

dogfish
01-24-2012, 02:01 PM
I was hoping he would elaborate, because I have no idea what he's getting at. Parallels between Fox and Shanny? If so, then I would have to ask that his urine be tested before he posts anymore.

i'm assuming he meant parallels between shanny and dennis allen, but i don't see any there either. . .

also, joe mays does not approve of your last post. . . :laugh:

Tned
01-24-2012, 02:08 PM
i'm assuming he meant parallels between shanny and dennis allen, but i don't see any there either. . .

I didn't approve of his play, so I think that makes us kind of even... ;)

wayninja
01-24-2012, 02:08 PM

Wasn't Shanahan a Denver coordinator that got Hired by Raiders to be a head coach?

That seems fairly parallel...

NightTerror218
01-24-2012, 02:12 PM
sounds like Allen is basically out of Denver and working on final talks with Oakland

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7497230/oakland-raiders-hope-hire-denver-broncos-dennis-allen-coach-sources-say

claymore
01-24-2012, 02:17 PM
For once I thought we would have some gosh dnag continuity on the DC side of the house. This sucks.

BigDaddyBronco
01-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Yes this sucks. Hopefully we can hire someone good to continue the path toward respectibility.

On another note, most of the defense has played for a lot of other DC's, this might not be that big of an adjustment.

BigSarge87
01-24-2012, 02:23 PM
That's awuful risky if you ask me. Just becuase he's learned how to ride a bike quickly doesn't mean he is ready to drive a car.

Big difference between being a coord and HC I would imagine.

MOtorboat
01-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Wasn't Shanahan a Denver coordinator that got Hired by Raiders to be a head coach?

That seems fairly parallel...

I think he was actually OC in San Fran when he actually accepted the HC job in Oakland, but he was a QB Coach and I believe an OC in Denver...

wayninja
01-24-2012, 02:31 PM
I think he was actually OC in San Fran when he actually accepted the HC job in Oakland, but he was a QB Coach and I believe an OC in Denver...

Pretty sure he was hired in 88 for the faiders and in 87 he was the Broncos OC.

Maybe my memory isn't right. It's your ******* similie.

MOtorboat
01-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Pretty sure he was hired in 88 for the faiders and in 87 he was the Broncos OC.

Maybe my memory isn't right. It's your ******* similie.

You're right he was Broncos OC in 1987. He was 49ers OC in 94.

G_Money
01-24-2012, 02:46 PM
I agree with dog, bring on Trgovac. I do wonder if Allen'd like to poach any other coaches from the staff, though.

~G

Rick
01-24-2012, 02:48 PM
I hate losing good coaches as you can't have too many talented assistant coaches helping out and I definitely would have rather Mccoy left than Allen, but with that said I would be more concerned if it were not for Fox being a defenisve guru himself.

It would be different if we had an offensive genius at OC and he left leaving us with a HC that knows nothing about offense(Mccoy does not fit the bill here). Having a DC leave and you still have a defensive HC isn't as bad a fall.

Magnificent Seven
01-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Do you think Broncos will get Jack Del Rio for the position of Defensive Coordinator?

wayninja
01-24-2012, 03:27 PM
We should call Baskin Robbin's and ask their opinion of who to hire.

camdisco24
01-24-2012, 03:31 PM
John Fox can and will find someone just as good. I'm not too worried. I do wish we could have some continuity as some point though....

Ziggy
01-24-2012, 03:32 PM
The other question is, who is he going to take with him from our coaching staff. Once he gets the job, he'll be looking for his own coordinators and assistants.

Ziggy
01-24-2012, 03:33 PM
I just want to see the attack mentality kept in place. After years of playing soft, safe defense it was a nice change.

CoachChaz
01-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Singletary please

SOCALORADO.
01-24-2012, 03:39 PM
DB coach Ron Milus. DEN has had success with these guys now.
And hes a Fox guy.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2012, 03:41 PM
Yes this sucks. Hopefully we can hire someone good to continue the path toward respectibility.

On another note, most of the defense has played for a lot of other DC's, this might not be that big of an adjustment.

With 7 different DC's in 7 years, and now it looks like it will be 8 of 8, I can't imagine someone like Champ is thrilled with this - or for that matter anyone on the defensive side of the ball being thrilled with this - regardless if a rookie this year, or someone who has been here for a while. Rather than refining the defense from the past season, they may be learning something totally new, or something with new twists, etc.

Ziggy
01-24-2012, 03:44 PM
With 7 different DC's in 7 years, and now it looks like it will be 8 of 8, I can't imagine someone like Champ is thrilled with this - or for that matter anyone on the defensive side of the ball being thrilled with this - regardless if a rookie this year, or someone who has been here for a while. Rather than refining the defense from last season, they may be learning something totally new, or something with new twists, etc.

True Carol, but at least this time it's a product of EFX bringing in a successful coach and not a product of yet another failure. It still sucks for Champ and company, but we're headed in the right direction.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2012, 03:46 PM
True Carol, but at least this time it's a product of EFX bringing in a successful coach and not a product of yet another failure. It still sucks for Champ and company, but we're headed in the right direction.

Didn't EFX bring in Allen - he has only been here this past season

rcsodak
01-24-2012, 03:52 PM

Spoton....as usual.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Ziggy
01-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Didn't EFX bring in Allen - he has only been here this past season

That was my point. Our new front office hired a great coach. Our past front offices couldn't seem to get it right.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2012, 03:55 PM
That was my point. Our new front office hired a great coach. Our past front offices couldn't seem to get it right.

That is a problem - how many more great coaches are out there to bring in this time?

rcsodak
01-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Spags is with the Saints now, I think.under williams?

wayninja
01-24-2012, 04:07 PM
That is a problem - how many more great coaches are out there to bring in this time?

Does it matter? They won't be here past next season anyway...

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Does it matter? They won't be here past next season anyway...

Sadly enough - that seems the pattern :tsk:

Ziggy
01-24-2012, 04:26 PM
I was trying to look at the glass half full. It sucks that we are losing yet another Dcoordinator and all continuity once again in defense. I'm just choosing to be happy that we finally have a front office that has the capability of finding a good coach.

rcsodak
01-24-2012, 04:41 PM
You're right he was Broncos OC in 1987. He was 49ers OC in 94.
:confused:

rcsodak
01-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Singletary please
Who's never beeen a coordinator. We've witnessed how he took a SB contender and made them mediocre.

wayninja
01-24-2012, 04:46 PM
:confused:

I'm sensing you are confused. I'll explain; 94 is actually short for 1994. I know, it's strange. I blame y2k.

rcsodak
01-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Oak's GM just said an offer has NOT yet been made to allen.

That theyll talk again tonite.

rcsodak
01-24-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm sensing you are confused. I'll explain; 94 is actually short for 1994. I know, it's strange. I blame y2k.
I'd call ya a smart ass but I try to avoid speaking in half truths. :D

VonSackemMiller
01-24-2012, 05:10 PM
No he wouldn't.

sorry your just guessing making shit up, del,rio the same dude who took the small school lb high because he was fast wants size? Yeah okay

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2012, 05:14 PM
MOBILE, Ala. -- Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie said he will meet with Denver defensive coordinator Dennis Allen tonight to discuss the Raiders' coaching vacancy.

McKenzie also told CSNCalifornia.com that no job has been offered to Allen, nor are they in any "negotiations," as reported elsewhere.

"I will meet with Dennis Allen tonight," McKenzie said during the South team's Senior Bowl workout at Ladd-Peebles Stadium. "And after tonight, depending on our conversation …that's when."

rest of article - http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/raiders-talk/post/McKenzie-to-interview-Denvers-Allen-toni?blockID=637374&feedID=5885

Lindsay Jones referenced the link to the above article on twitter

VonSackemMiller
01-24-2012, 05:16 PM
Fox was the wrong? No I don't think so.

Fox is the one who moved Tebow to starter there is no way to know if Tebow would have gotten to start if a different head coach had been hire. Fox is the reason Allen is our defensive coordinator and if Allen's philosophy was so much different from what Fox wants to do he wouldn't have been hired.

I prefer a 3-4 defense that said Fox knows exactly what to do with a defense. He said our personnel was better suited for a 4-3 and I'm not going to argue with a guy who been on the defensive side of the ball most of his adult life.

A couple of other things. You do know that in a base 4-3 if you send only four rushers it's not a blitz so you're losing nothing in coverage. Besides that Miller was lined up as defensive end a good portion of the time so we didn't lose anything in coverage. Also when Miller was lined up as a defensive end we were in nickle and dime packages.

Sorry but the panthers defense looed nothing like the saints defense which is where allen comes from, john fox was a rush the 4 downlinemen, drop back into a zone tyoe of defense, there wasnt any exotic blitzes and moving guys all around, like you see with allen,

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2012, 05:16 PM
MOBILE, Ala. -- The Raiders have narrowed their coaching search to three candidates -- Winston Moss, Dennis Allen, and a third "mystery candidate," according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

rest - http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-oakland-raiders/news/Source-Raiders-coaching-search-at-3?blockID=637222&feedID=2801

rationalfan
01-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Sorry but the panthers defense looed nothing like the saints defense which is where allen comes from, john fox was a rush the 4 downlinemen, drop back into a zone tyoe of defense, there wasnt any exotic blitzes and moving guys all around, like you see with allen,

i don't study defenses like some people on this board, but i have to wonder if the defensive schemes of coaches is as much a product of the personnel available as it is the desired approach.

NightTerror218
01-24-2012, 05:22 PM
i don't study defenses like some people on this board, but i have to wonder if the defensive schemes of coaches is as much a product of the personnel available as it is the desired approach.

I wonder the same, but I think DC have their schemes they like and try to get players who fit it and then tweek it for what they have.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-24-2012, 05:26 PM
I'm still hoping we get lucky and the Raiders hire someone else. McCoy was supposedly the front runner for the Miami job and then they went with Philbin. Hopefully the Raiders will get distracted by a shiny object and forget about Allen.

VonSackemMiller
01-24-2012, 05:28 PM
allen doesnt have a doom, a von miller, a champ bailey, or any draft picks, hell be fired in a year, but the broncos are who botched this thing, fox shoulda been fired, and allen promoted. Smh once again we blow it, why are we hanging on to john fox as if hes the long term answer? We know his track record hes a poor career head coach, now we let a bright assistant walk to keep fox ball. Smh.

dogfish
I'm still hoping we get lucky and the Raiders hire someone else. McCoy was supposedly the front runner for the Miami job and then they went with Philbin. Hopefully the Raiders will get distracted by a shiny object and forget about Allen.

i think denny green is their "mystery coach". . .

:D

NightTerror218
So Todd Bowles is in the mix for raiders HC. Ummm wasn't he the reason that McCoy did not get the Miami HC job, he did not want to keep him but hire his own assistants?

wayninja
01-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Is ESPN journalism an oxymoron? Seriously, this is the worst coverage since the Iowa Caucuses.

VonSackemMiller
01-24-2012, 05:34 PM

Coaches do what they wanna do, they have there schemes and want them executed, however the great coaches figure out what his players do best and put them in positions to succeed. But not alot of coaches can do that, john fox cant, he lacks creativity. We have some good talent skill position players on offense, none were used to the best of there ability

MOtorboat
01-24-2012, 05:46 PM
sorry your just guessing making shit up, del,rio the same dude who took the small school lb high because he was fast wants size? Yeah okay

Who are you even talking about?

VonSackemMiller
01-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Justin Durant was from a small school, Went in the 2nd round, Never really was good at hampton but Del Rio sure took a shot on him in the 2nd round just because he was fast.

rationalfan
01-24-2012, 06:57 PM
allen doesnt have a doom, a von miller, a champ bailey, or any draft picks, hell be fired in a year, but the broncos are who botched this thing, fox shoulda been fired, and allen promoted. Smh once again we blow it, why are we hanging on to john fox as if hes the long term answer? We know his track record hes a poor career head coach, now we let a bright assistant walk to keep fox ball. Smh.

uh, ok.

Lancane
01-24-2012, 07:55 PM
The only defensive free agent of ours that I would be concerned with going to Oakland is Bunkley, if they want the rest...they can have em'.

As to the comment about horrid journalism, well bad news - no other coach is up for the Head Coaching position now, Oakland is working on Allen's contract as we speak, so this looks like a done deal. They've called all the other candidates according to league sources and told them they're no longer interested besides Allen.

Regarding Denver's Defensive Coordinator position, there is talk about Del Rio coming aboard, Mike Trgovac is another big name floating around because of his history with Fox. Tim Lewis, Mike Archer and Keith Butler are other names spreading around the net right now.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-24-2012, 07:59 PM
The only defensive free agent of ours that I would be concerned with going to Oakland is Bunkley, if they want the rest...they can have em'.

As to the comment about horrid journalism, well bad news - no other coach is up for the Head Coaching position now, Oakland is working on Allen's contract as we speak, so this looks like a done deal. They've called all the other candidates according to league sources and told them they're no longer interested besides Allen.

Regarding Denver's Defensive Coordinator position, there is talk about Del Rio coming aboard, Mike Trgovac is another big name floating around because of his history with Fox. Tim Lewis, Mike Archer and Keith Butler are other names spreading around the net right now.

Yeah, here's a link to the story... dammit... :tsk:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d826489b0/article/broncos-dc-allen-only-candidate-still-interviewing-with-raiders?module=HP11_headline_stack

Devilspawn
01-24-2012, 08:03 PM
I'm not dancing like wayninja's avatar as a lot of Raider fans are, but it would be good to have a defensive minded head coach in 33 years. We'll see.

Won't lie, if it makes yall suffer, I'll take it. :)

BroncoStud
01-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Who in their right mind would want to work for the Raiders. Other opportunities will come for him...

This is bad for the Broncos and can't be good for Allen. Reggie McKenzie is anything but proven as a GM and we all know how the front office of that shithole operates.

I really hope that another candidate comes in and gets the job. We need Allen to help this defense keep getting better.

dogfish
01-24-2012, 08:09 PM

bunk should absolutely be our top priority in FA. . .

and trgovac would be my first choice for DC. . . not a fan of del rio-- at least he wouldn't be a threat to undermine our veteran coach, but i'm far from sold on the guy. . . he's done some good work, but seems to come with an awful lot of personal baggage, including the work ethic questions beef alluded to earlier. . . tim lewis is kinda "enh," and i don't know who mike archer is. . .

keith butler would be sweet, but i don't really understand why they'd bring in a 3-4 guy now. . . i also thought he was basically pitt's DC-in-waiting, and not really interested in other jobs. . . did that change?

Lancane
01-24-2012, 08:11 PM
I'm not dancing like wayninja's avatar as a lot of Raider fans are, but it would be good to have a defensive minded head coach in 33 years. We'll see.

Well, not to be an *** but the hiring of Allen could have major implications in the AFC West. Allen could bring in someone like Lombardi from New Orleans who knows how to run the Saints explosive offense, not to mention that he runs an attacking defense that depends on getting in your face and there are some good coaches available that run similar defenses. Just thinking of the Raiders with a 'Bend Don't Break' blitz heavy defense and a Saints like offense gives me the chills. McCoy screwed Denver twice, he wasn't good enough to sell himself for the Miami HC position, refused to meet the Raiders and now they're taking Allen.

What a ****! :tsk:

VonSackemMiller
01-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Allen will be fired in a year or two and then wont get another HC job in 5-6 years. the raiders just fired a guy who won 8 games in his first year as a HC. IDK i guess Allen thinks hes the missing piece OR he just wants the HC fame. He should have waited, His time would have come. But oh well ill enjoy facing the 3-3-5 he runs. We got gashed alot running it so hopefully he takes it to oakland.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-24-2012, 08:13 PM

I can't tell you if he'll be a good HC or not, but I really like him as our DC. He got the most out of a squad that was either too young or too old and lacking in talent.

I can tell you that he seems all business. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I'd bet you guys won't be leading the league in penalties next year.

VonSackemMiller
01-24-2012, 08:13 PM
Well, not to be an *** but the hiring of Allen could have major implications in the AFC West. Allen could bring in someone like Lombardi from New Orleans who knows how to run the Saints explosive offense, not to mention that he runs an attacking defense that depends on getting in your face and there are some good coaches available that run similar defenses. Just thinking of the Raiders with a 'Bend Don't Break' blitz heavy defense and a Saints like offense gives me the chills. McCoy screwed Denver twice, he wasn't good enough to sell himself for the Miami HC position, refused to meet the Raiders and now they're taking Allen.

Lol which is why i said weeks ago John Fox should have been fired, And we should have promoted Allen to HC because he would have snatched up most of the Saints offensive staff to run the offense. Im not a believe in carson palmer buh ehh stealing the saints offensive staff cant hurt.

Devilspawn
01-24-2012, 08:15 PM

We've had the Al Davis defense for years under the guise of different coordinators. It was a bend over and be broken defense. Anyone who puts in their own system without interference will be a blessing. McFadden being healthy is the first priority on offense.

VonSackemMiller
01-24-2012, 08:15 PM
I can't tell you if he'll be a good HC or not, but I really like him as our DC. He got the most out of a squad that was either too young or too old and lacking in talent.

I can tell you that he seems all business. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I'd bet you guys won't be leading the league in penalties next year.

oakland has committed the most penalties since 2000. It has nothing to do with the HC, Its the raider culture. Its just the way it is in Oakland. They will still be the dumbest team in America even with Allen.

Lancane
01-24-2012, 08:19 PM
bunk should absolutely be our top priority in FA. . .

and trgovac would be my first choice for DC. . . not a fan of del rio-- at least he wouldn't be a threat to undermine our veteran coach, but i'm far from sold on the guy. . . he's done some good work, but seems to come with an awful lot of personal baggage, including the work ethic questions beef alluded to earlier. . . tim lewis is kinda "enh," and i don't know who mike archer is. . .

keith butler would be sweet, but i don't really understand why they'd bring in a 3-4 guy now. . . i also thought he was basically pitt's DC-in-waiting, and not really interested in other jobs. . . did that change?

I don't know if Keith Butler's mind changed, just mentioned that his name was going around the net. Mike Archer is a former Pittsburgh Defensive Coach with ties to Chuck Knoll and John Fox, the same with Lewis - so people are just linking right now, that's why Del Rio's name is in the mix.

Regarding Bunkley, they better offer his *** a contract quickly, we have too many free agents, but he is one of those we need to keep beyond others. I wouldn't be surprised if Trgovac was the lead candidate, then again I said that last time and he hired Allen, maybe he'll pull another move and go after Robert Nunn or Bill Johnson.

Devilspawn
01-24-2012, 08:23 PM

This is the Raiders though. No longer Al Davis' Raiders, so there may be something to that.

Lancane
01-24-2012, 08:28 PM
This is the Raiders though. No longer Al Davis' Raiders, so there may be something to that.

It's Forrest Gump's Raiders...sorry Spawn, but you guys went from an owner who loves the sport, no matter his dotage on era's long past to his son's Raiders, who let's face it, most father's wouldn't claim as their own. Not only does he look like a cast member from Dumb and Dumber, he sounds the part as well. Good news for Oakland is that he hired a true G.M., which I never thought I'd see the day.

VonSackemMiller
01-24-2012, 08:32 PM
Why is mckenzie a true GM? he cant even speak right, and he wasnt the man behind the plan in GB.

Devilspawn
01-24-2012, 08:34 PM
It's Forrest Gump's Raiders...sorry Spawn, but you guys went from an owner who loves the sport, no matter his dotage on era's long past to his son's Raiders, who let's face it, most father's wouldn't claim as their own. Not only does he look like a cast member from Dumb and Dumber, he sounds the part as well. Good news for Oakland is that he hired a true G.M., which I never thought I'd see the day.
Never thought I'd see the words Raiders and GM in the same sentence. Davis, Jr. needed two things when he took the reigns and so far he's halfway there.

GM (achieved)
Stylist (pending)

Lancane
01-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Never thought I'd see the words Raiders and GM in the same sentence. Davis, Jr. needed two things when he took the reigns and so far he's halfway there.

GM (achieved)
Stylist (pending)

Yeah, that flaming carrot-top bowl cut leaves something to be desired. :lol:

Devilspawn
01-24-2012, 08:39 PM
Why is mckenzie a true GM? he cant even speak right, and he wasnt the man behind the plan in GB.
Ok, what exactly was he doing the last 18 years in Green Bay?

Devilspawn
01-24-2012, 08:47 PM
JayGlazer Jay Glazer
The Oakland Raiders have agreed to hire Dennis Allen as their new head coach. He has already informed the broncos

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Now official: Oakland Raiders are hiring former Broncos defensive coordinator Dennis Allen as head coach. Deal done.

nevcraw
01-24-2012, 08:49 PM
well that blows.... DC's to Denver are like drummers to spinal tap.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2012, 08:53 PM
The Oakland Raiders will hire Broncos defensive coordinator Dennis Allen as their next head coach, according to multiple reports.

Jay Glazer of Fox Sports was the first to report the news, and Adam Schefter of ESPN tweeted that he had confirmed that a deal was done.

http://www.csncalifornia.com/blog/raiders-talk/post/Report-Raiders-hire-Allen-as-head-coach?blockID=637584&feedID=2539

NightTerror218
01-24-2012, 08:56 PM
http://www.csncalifornia.com/blog/raiders-talk/post/Report-Raiders-hire-Allen-as-head-coach?blockID=637584&feedID=2539

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7499385/sources-oakland-raiders-hire-dennis-allen-denver-broncos-coach

Dzone
01-24-2012, 08:57 PM
this sucks

wayninja
01-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Instead of hiring a new DC, can we just get a cardboard cutout of Dick LeBeau and put a headset on it? At least we'd have continuity for the subsequent season.

cuzz4169
01-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Screw Dennis Allen!! I hope every season he goes 4-12!! He goes from a DB coach then Fox gives him his shot as DC. Sean Payton said in a couple yrs Allen would be a HC and I would agree. But to take the job with the Raiders the next yr is a KICK IN THE NUTS!!!

wayninja
01-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Meh, I'd do it to. HC jobs don't grow on trees. Assuming the control and environment is something you feel you can work in, you have to take the job.

Elevation inc
01-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Dennis Allen is now the new HC of the Oakland raiders....That f'in blows.....

bcbronc
01-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Screw Allen. He was the worst of the 7 DCs in 7 years by a pretty big margin. What a loser. Glad he's gone. So glad. Yeah, soooo glad. Loser.

:s:

VonSackemMiller
01-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Allen will soon realize he cant take Von Miller and Dooms with him which is who made this defense even what it was.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2012, 09:39 PM
from article:

Allen informed the Broncos he had formally been offered and accepted the job Tuesday night at Senior Bowl preparations.

Allen's departure means the Broncos will enter the 2012 with their seventh defensive coordinator in the last seven seasons. Linebackers coach Richard Smith, a former defensive coordinator with the Houston Texans and the Dolphins would be the team's in-house candidate to replace Allen. Fox also likely would look at one of his former defensive coordinators in Carolina - former Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio. Del Rio was fired in November.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19807184

broncobryce
01-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Hire del rio

dogfish
01-24-2012, 09:46 PM
it does kinda suck, but we'll see. . . fox is a wily vet who knows what he's doing, and has plenty of contacts around the league. . . he made a good choice in allen-- i feel pretty confident that he can do so again. . .

nobody likes that it ****s with our continuity. . . but at least the new DC will inherit some pieces to work with-- bailey, dumervil and von miller are legit weapons to be deployed, and ayers and DJ are solid. . . i hope we can retain at least a couple of our current FAs (primarily bunkley, and keeping haggan would help a bit if we lose mays and woody), possibly even add one starter in the secondary (i'm assuming dawk will retire). . . depth on that side of the ball at the very least will have to be addressed in free agency, even if it's just re-signing some of our own backups on the cheap, like haggan and hunter. . . we won't have enough draft picks to cover it even if every one makes the team-- and there are still a number of holes on the other side of the ball that are just as desperate for attention. . . but either way, at least the new guy will have some nasty pass rushers to work with, guaranteed. . .

rcsodak
01-24-2012, 09:49 PM
BANG!

camdisco24
01-24-2012, 09:49 PM
I wouldn't mind Del Rio... say what you want about the guy but he knows defense. With our current players, he's got a lot of pretty solid potential.

rcsodak
01-24-2012, 09:51 PM
During all your "smh" times, do you ever hear a rattling sound?

Just wonderin...........

Bmn

MOtorboat
01-24-2012, 09:52 PM
No on Del Rio...

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2012, 09:58 PM
No on Del Rio...

Why - just wondering, because I don't know much about him.

MOtorboat
01-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Why - just wondering, because I don't know much about him.

He's lazy. Notoriously so.

OaklandRaider
01-24-2012, 10:05 PM
After doing research on Dennis Allen, I'm excited that he's our head coach. He's a bright young guy, who turned around one of the worst defenses into a solid one last year.

Imagine what he can do with all the talent the Raiders have on defense. If he can help turn our defense into just a solid unit, then the Raiders should be playoff bound next year.

The Raiders are fine on offense. We are one of the best offenses in the league last year, and that was without Darren McFadden, who missed ten games last year. Get him back healthy, get Palmer a full offseason and training camp, and we will be one of the most explosive teams in the league.

Good hire by the Raiders. Coach Allen is the guy to lead us back to greatness.

VonSackemMiller

Okay whose your inside source that says del rio is a lazy coach? And if he was how did he last so long in jacksonville? Your making shit up.

MOtorboat
And he's only called defensive plays for one season, runs a different scheme than what we saw last year and this defense doesn't have the personnel that fits his scheme (most notably the bulk and size on the defensive line).

HORSEPOWER 56
01-24-2012, 10:06 PM
After doing research on Dennis Allen, I'm excited that he's our head coach. He's a bright young guy, who turned around one of the worst defenses into a solid one last year.

Imagine what he can do with all the talent the Raiders have on defense. If he can help turn our defense into just a solid unit, then the Raiders should be playoff bound next year.

The Raiders are fine on offense. We are one of the best offenses in the league last year, and that was without Darren McFadden, who missed ten games last year. Get him back healthy, get Palmer a full offseason and training camp, and we will be one of the most explosive teams in the league.

So if Allen can only manage 8-8 this season, does he deserve to be fired?

rcsodak
01-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Link?

:laugh:

MOtorboat
01-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Okay whose your inside source that says del rio is a lazy coach? And if he was how did he last so long in jacksonville? Your making shit up.

Multiple reports out of Jacksonville, repeatedly, for many years.

MOtorboat
01-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Link?

Pete Prisco. One of the best and most respected in the business.

http://peteprisco.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6315047/33582271

OaklandRaider
01-24-2012, 10:13 PM
So if Allen can only manage 8-8 this season, does he deserve to be fired?

He'll be on the Hot seat. :D

Nah but he'll likely be here for the long haul. Remember these are no longer the Al Davis led Oakland Raiders. You will no longer see coaches getting fired every other year here. For the first time ever, we finally have a General Manager. He's going to build this team for the long haul.

VonSackemMiller
01-24-2012, 10:17 PM

Dennis Allen= steve spagnoli...Not ready to be a HC but a fine DC. And what talent do you have on defense? we ran it down your throats with tebow and mcgahee. what was it like 300 yards rushing? Your best Dlinemen is seymour and hes getting older and older. Your offense was tops in the league? yeah in yards. You only scored 360 points your not an offensive machine, Carsen palmers still your QB. Your team is trash and will decline. Shoulda kept hue

VonSackemMiller
01-24-2012, 10:19 PM

prisco????:laugh::laugh::laugh:

goodbye

MOtorboat
01-24-2012, 10:21 PM
prisco????:laugh::laugh::laugh:

goodbye

So, source saying he's wrong?

HORSEPOWER 56
01-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Multiple reports out of Jacksonville, repeatedly, for many years.

Funny, I live here and I'd never heard that. The bad wrap on Del Rio isn't that he's "lazy", it's that the last few years he tended to throw his players under the bus (sometimes deservedly so) when they didn't play well - kinda like Hue Jackson did at his presser that got him shit canned. Some saw that as Del Rio not taking accountability for his actions and blaming his players...

He kept the Jaguars "relevent" with the absolute WORST roster in the league talent-wise for a decade. How many times have the Jags drafted top 5 since he's been there? Remember, he had to play Peyton Manning twice a year for pretty much the entirety of his career while coaching a small market team for a cheapskate owner. I'm glad you already have him all figured out, though.

Highlights of Del Rio's resume:

-LB Coach for the 2000-2001 Ravens. Turned Peter Boulware into an absolute beast as a rush LB in a 4-3... I think we have one of those... :confused: Boulware was never the same after Del Rio left.

-DC for Fox's Carolina Panthers that went to the Superbowl. Top 5 defense in the league that year. Got the HC gig in Jax the next year. Carolina's defense was good, but never that good again.

-Knows the importance of DTs and a stud MLB in the 4-3. Ray Lewis had Adams/Siragusa, Dan Morgan had Jenkins/Buckner, and Mike Peterson had Stroud/Henderson. I have little doubt that Del Rio will lobby the FO to put those type of pieces in place which is EXACTLY what we need.

OaklandRaider
01-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Dennis Allen= steve spagnoli...Not ready to be a HC but a fine DC. And what talent do you have on defense? we ran it down your throats with tebow and mcgahee. what was it like 300 yards rushing? Your best Dlinemen is seymour and hes getting older and older. Your offense was tops in the league? yeah in yards. You only scored 360 points your not an offensive machine, Carsen palmers still your QB. Your team is trash and will decline. Shoulda kept hue

The Raiders have plenty of talent on defense. We just were coordinated by one of the worst DC's of all time in Chuck Bresnahan.

The year before we hired Chuck Bresnahan, we were the 11th ranked defense in the league. With basically the same players last year, we finished 30th in the league. Chuck Bresnahan was the only difference last year and you saw how much we declined under him.

And you are just hating if you don't think the Raiders are one of the better offenses in the league. We have weapons everywhere.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-24-2012, 10:32 PM

Prisco is a dumbass who probably has never actually set foot in Jacksonville in his life. Maybe Del Rio was mailing it in his last season, but it was because he already knew that Weaver was selling the team and he'd be fired anyway because part of the agreement of the sale was that Weaver would fire Del Rio so Khan wouldn't have to.

Much like Fox playing lame-duck HC and going 2-14 in Carolina last year, Del Rio was just riding it out this season. Seriously, why bust your ass when you know you're going to be fired? Would anyone here work 18 hour days knowing they were getting let go regardless of what happened because the company they worked for was changing ownership? If you say yes, you're a damned liar.

Del Rio would be a solid option for us.

MOtorboat
01-24-2012, 10:37 PM
Prisco is a dumbass who probably has never actually set foot in Jacksonville in his life. Maybe Del Rio was mailing it in his last season, but it was because he already knew that Weaver was selling the team and he'd be fired anyway because part of the agreement of the sale was that Weaver would fire Del Rio so Khan wouldn't have to.

Much like Fox playing lame-duck HC and going 2-14 in Carolina last year, Del Rio was just riding it out this season. Seriously, why bust your ass when you know you're going to be fired? Would anyone here work 18 hour days knowing they were getting let go regardless of what happened because the company they worked for was changing ownership? If you say yes, you're a damned liar.

Del Rio would be a solid option for us.

Pretty typical...personal attack on the writer...

Del Rio mailed it in for seasons, not season.

wayninja
01-24-2012, 10:40 PM
And you are just hating if you don't think the Raiders are one of the better offenses in the league. We have weapons everywhere.

Everywhere but on the field. Welcome to Richmond!

VonSackemMiller
01-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Everywhere but on the field. Welcome to Richmond!

Lol why is this guy hyping there offense? they have a straight line runner in alexander, a great back in mcfadden whose never healthy, bush is leaving for a bigger role, who else does that offense have? little jacoby ford whose better suited as a returner? this guy is seriously hyping his offense and his defense. the raiders are an average team that will decline with no draft picks.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Pretty typical...personal attack on the writer...

Del Rio mailed it in for seasons, not season.

That's because the writer sucks. Everyone knows it... by show of hands, who here actually believes Prisco is a good sports journalist? Anyone besides MO? The dude is a Debbie Downer spin doctor who rarely has anything good to say about anyone not named Brady, Manning, Brees, or Bellicheat.

He's the Merril Hoge of print media...

wayninja
01-24-2012, 10:45 PM

We are all drinking a toast to your new Shanahan. After you fire him in a year or two, he'll do a stint in San Fran and then head back our way, better than ever.

dogfish
01-24-2012, 10:46 PM
pete prisco does suck. . . but i've read a number of different accounts of del rio's issues over the years. . . not saying he doesn't know his stuff, and i won't complain if he ends up being the guy fox wants, but he wouldn't be my personal first choice. . .

MOtorboat
01-24-2012, 10:49 PM
That's because the writer sucks. Everyone knows it... by show of hands, who here actually believes Prisco is a good sports journalist? Anyone besides MO? The dude is a Debbie Downer spin doctor who rarely has anything good to say about anyone not named Brady, Manning, Brees, or Bellicheat.

He's the Merril Hoge of print media...

Attack the writer with very little substance except "he didn't visit here" (completely unsubstantiated and lacking any sort of factual basis) and "he only loves the good players" argument.

Might as well whine about East Coast Bias...as is typical, you can't argue against the report so you personal attack the writer based on your own personal biases and opinions rather than factual analysis.

Del Rio is lazy. It's been reported at length. Quit attacking the writers.

dogfish
01-24-2012, 10:52 PM
MO, i hope the writer's guild pays you good to stick up for a bum like prisco. . .

:D

HORSEPOWER 56
01-24-2012, 10:59 PM
Attack the writer with very little substance except "he didn't visit here" (completely unsubstantiated and lacking any sort of factual basis) and "he only loves the good players" argument.

Might as well whine about East Coast Bias...as is typical, you can't argue against the report so you personal attack the writer based on your own personal biases and opinions rather than factual analysis.

Del Rio is lazy. It's been reported at length. Quit attacking the writers.

So unnamed sources for Prisco are now "facts"? Okay MO you want facts, were you aware that the Jaguars defense in 2011 was 6th in yards allowed and 11th in points allowed?

Now, I challenge you to name 5 players on that defense WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP. You can't. I'd be surprised if anyone here could. Their defensive roster is more anonymous than ours...

Jack Del Rio knows defense. I don't want him to be our HC, but if he could make our defense put up the stats above, maybe we wouldn't have gotten blown up 45-10 in the playoffs. He'd be the DC, not the HC. If he turned us into a top 10 defense, I wouldn't give two flying ****s what his working hours were...

MOtorboat
01-24-2012, 11:05 PM
Fact: Del Rio wasn't the coordinator of this so-called great defense.

And Dwight Lowry, Dawan Landry, Terrence Knighton, Tyson Alualu, Paul Posluzsny and Daryl Smith.

It's not like there wasn't some talent on that team.

And there's nothing wrong with unnamed sources.

VonSackemMiller
01-24-2012, 11:06 PM
So unnamed sources for Prisco are now "facts"? Okay MO you want facts, were you aware that the Jaguars defense in 2011 was 6th in yards allowed and 11th in points allowed?

Now, I challenge you to name 5 players on that defense WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP. You can't. I'd be surprised if anyone here could. Their defensive roster is more anonymous than ours...

Jack Del Rio knows defense. I don't want him to be our HC, but if he could make our defense put up the stats above, maybe we wouldn't have gotten blown up 45-10 in the playoffs. He'd be the DC, not the HC. If he turned us into a top 10 defense, I wouldn't give two flying ****s what his working hours were...

Exactly jack del rio would be the perfect replacement, That no name jags defense was outstanding last year. Way better than our defense and we have more talent than them arguebly

HORSEPOWER 56
01-24-2012, 11:20 PM
Fact: Del Rio wasn't the coordinator of this so-called great defense.

And Dwight Lowry, Dawan Landry, Terrence Knighton, Tyson Alualu, Paul Posluzsny and Daryl Smith.

It's not like there wasn't some talent on that team.

And there's nothing wrong with unnamed sources.

So Del Rio gets no credit for the defense? Saying that is like saying Fox gets no credit for our defensive improvement this year and it was all Allen. It doesn't work that way.

Google is your friend I see.

MOtorboat
01-24-2012, 11:29 PM
So Del Rio gets no credit for the defense? Saying that is like saying Fox gets no credit for our defensive improvement this year and it was all Allen. It doesn't work that way.

Google is your friend I see.

Considering its widely reported that Fox is a hands-off head coach, then yes, Allen receives most of the credit.

And considering the reports that Del Rio was hardly paying attention to the entire job the last few years, much less the defense specifically...

What did I google?

VonSackemMiller
01-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Lol this guy just never knows when to stop making himself look foolish. Jack Del rio is probably a better defensive mind than john fox in the league right now. Bringing him in would boost our defense. Exspecially for a LB core and DL. We need some better CB though. Jack Del Rio should get this job. Hes my number one candidate. if you know anybody else name him

MOtorboat
01-24-2012, 11:37 PM
Lol this guy just never knows when to stop making himself look foolish. Jack Del rio is probably a better defensive mind than john fox in the league right now. Bringing him in would boost our defense. Exspecially for a LB core and DL. We need some better CB though. Jack Del Rio should get this job. Hes my number one candidate. if you know anybody else name him

He's better than Fox, who actually coached defense extensively before getting a lucky break and head coaching after just one year as a coordinator?

VonSackemMiller
01-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Considering its widely reported that Fox is a hands-off head coach, then yes, Allen receives most of the credit.

And considering the reports that Del Rio was hardly paying attention to the entire job the last few years, much less the defense specifically...

What did I google?

Wow john fox is a hands off coach? So the offensive play calling that mocks carolinas when he was there for 10 years says nothing? John fox wants to play fox ball, He wants one great WR to chunk it up too deep every down and then run run run punt, run run pass (pray for a deep completion) punt, Thats pure fox ball hes not a hand off coach, His stamp is on all fazes of the game. Allen brung the exotic blitz schemes but fox had his hand in the cookie jar. That being said RIGHT NOW del rio is a better defensive mind than fox and allen.

OaklandRaider
01-24-2012, 11:47 PM
Lol why is this guy hyping there offense? they have a straight line runner in alexander, a great back in mcfadden whose never healthy, bush is leaving for a bigger role, who else does that offense have? little jacoby ford whose better suited as a returner? this guy is seriously hyping his offense and his defense. the raiders are an average team that will decline with no draft picks.

Who's Alexander?:confused: Never heard of him.

But to answer your question, we have plenty of other weapons. Darrius Heyward Bey, who nearly reached 1,000 yards this past year. Denarius Moore, who as a rookie, had more receiving yards then anybody on the Broncos had this past year. We have Marcel Reece, one of the most explosive H-backs in the league. Jacoby Ford, Kevin Boss, Chaz Schilens, Louis Murphy and many other pieces I could mention.

We're a good offense, man. It was our defense that was the problem last year.

MOtorboat
01-24-2012, 11:49 PM
Wow john fox is a hands off coach? So the offensive play calling that mocks carolinas when he was there for 10 years says nothing? John fox wants to play fox ball, He wants one great WR to chunk it up too deep every down and then run run run punt, run run pass (pray for a deep completion) punt, Thats pure fox ball hes not a hand off coach, His stamp is on all fazes of the game. Allen brung the exotic blitz schemes but fox had his hand in the cookie jar. That being said RIGHT NOW del rio is a better defensive mind than fox and allen.

Fox is noted for being hands off with coordinators. It's why they both got legitimate chances to be head coaches and one will be..

As to the offense, there were obvious reasons why the play calling was what it was. You may not accept those reasons, and that's your prerogative, however, it doesn't make them not true.

As to Del Rio, ignoring the obvious flaws is essentially just sticking your head in the sand.

wayninja
01-25-2012, 12:12 AM
What did I google?

Yikes, do you really want me to delve into your browser cache? That would be like being on the night crew at an adult theatre...

VonSackemMiller
01-25-2012, 12:24 AM
Who's Alexander?:confused: Never heard of him.

But to answer your question, we have plenty of other weapons. Darrius Heyward Bey, who nearly reached 1,000 yards this past year. Denarius Moore, who as a rookie, had more receiving yards then anybody on the Broncos had this past year. We have Marcel Reece, one of the most explosive H-backs in the league. Jacoby Ford, Kevin Boss, Chaz Schilens, Louis Murphy and many other pieces I could mention.

We're a good offense, man. It was our defense that was the problem last year.

I mean moore, the tennessee WR

dogfish
01-25-2012, 02:14 AM
hmmm. . .

Allen uses a 4-3 defense, the same attack the Raiders currently employ. New G.M. Reggie McKenzie suggested during his introductory press conference that the team possibly will switch to a 3-4.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/24/report-raiders-to-hire-dennis-allen/

seems a bit odd if there's anything to it, but i suppose they'll be hiring a DC to run the defense anyway, most likely. . .

i hope they don't try to poach nunnelly from us, bastages. . . kinda hate to do it, but elway should refuse if they do. . .

pretty much all of our defensive free agents (hunter, thomas, haggan, mays, woodyard) except bunkley got some experience in the 3-4 last year, even if most of them aren't ideally suited for it-- whichever scheme they run, you can almost assume that a couple of those guys will end up in oakland now. . .

bcbronc
01-25-2012, 02:45 AM
pretty much all of our defensive free agents (hunter, thomas, haggan, mays, woodyard) except bunkley got some experience in the 3-4 last year, even if most of them aren't ideally suited for it-- whichever scheme they run, you can almost assume that a couple of those guys will end up in oakland now. . .

I thought Hunter looked better as a 34 OLB than a 43 DE. Probably say the same for Mays, and maybe Woodyard playing ILB in the 34. Thomas is probably the only one notably better in the 43 imo.

Good news I guess is I wouldn't really miss any, cept maybe Thomas, and while they're all solid football players, I wouldn't fear playing any of them twice a week (obviously the "royal we", I'd shit myself lining up opposite Joe Mays, well all of them really. :lol: ).

Bunkley excluded, goes without saying he's a top priority to re-sign.

dogfish
01-25-2012, 03:40 AM
I thought Hunter looked better as a 34 OLB than a 43 DE. Probably say the same for Mays, and maybe Woodyard playing ILB in the 34. Thomas is probably the only one notably better in the 43 imo.

Good news I guess is I wouldn't really miss any, cept maybe Thomas, and while they're all solid football players, I wouldn't fear playing any of them twice a week (obviously the "royal we", I'd shit myself lining up opposite Joe Mays, well all of them really. :lol: ).

Bunkley excluded, goes without saying he's a top priority to re-sign.

i'm not gonna trip if we lose any of those guys individually-- they're all replaceable. . . but if we're just going to replace them with equal caliber players, may as well keep most of the ones we've already got if the price is close-- all other things being equal, i prefer guys that have been in the syst. . . wait, nevermind. . . we're going to another ****ing coordinator anyway. . . :doh:

ah well, if nothing else i love the chemistry this group had, and i'd love to build on it going forward. . .

naturally, that's forgotten if we're talking about noticeably upgrading a position-- but i ain't holdin' my breath after watching last year. . . i have no doubt we'll be pinching pennies, kicking tires, dumpster diving, and everything else that comes along with our MO. . .

nah, best we can hope for most likely is that they hit on a couple more reclamation projects like they did this year with bunk and mcgahee-- the older, less valuable and more easily replaceable of which we actually have under contract for several more years. . .

and before one of those big bullies like ziggy or smilinassasin tries to lecture me about building through the draft :heh: , let me state in no uncertain terms that i get it, and absolutely agree with it as far as it goes. . .

the only catch is, they're gonna have to draft a lot better than we have so far during xanders tenure here-- specifically if you count the mcdaniels years, which i do. . . since he was kinda the general manager of the franchise, and all. . . but even if you don't count those years, you can't be spending seconds on guys like rahim moore. . . and don't tell me to wait three years-- you come back and tell me when he actually looks like a good pick. . .

i won't be holding my breath. . .

i will wait to see if nate irving does anything this year. . . and we'll see if we bring fells back (i really hope we do unless they're going to sign somebody better in FA, which they won't and probably shouldn't), but at least one out of thomas and green needs to step up and give us something this year. . . i still have moderately high hopes that quinton carter can develop into a competent starter with some patience-- that was my favorite pick last year, value-wise. . .

but, with the amount of holes we have, we better hit on just about all our draft picks if we can't plug some of those holes in FA-- even if it's just usable guys like fells. . . and nobody drafts that well. . . we're better off hedging our bets with a little of the cap room we've saved up-- can't carry it past next year anyway, whether they want to or not. . . sure, there are some ways to minimize actual spending. . . but cutting corners just to be cheap just makes you the LA clippers, and makes it really tough to be a winning organization. . .

i certainly agree with a focus on drafting, developing and retaining our own guys. . . but i don't see anyone that's gonna need a big extension in the next couple years other than clady. . . given the impending salary floor, it'd sure be nice to get a little bump this year and try to maintain last season's unexpected momentum-- may as well spend some pesos this year when the FA pool is unusually plentiful due to last year's RFA situation. . . we'll get a little better value for our money, and have a better chance to sign a legitimate quality young starter who we can build around for a while. . .

not that i particularly expect us to, but it would be nice. . . and wise, as far as i'm concerned. . . i don't need or want a splurge, but target a player or two and go after them. . .

derp, sorry for the off-topic semi-drunken ramble. . . :frusty:

Joel
01-25-2012, 05:35 AM
Well, this sucks hard; guess the Raiders are really pissed they handed us the Division by blowing so many games after starting so well. I don't blame them hiring a good DC considering how awful their D was last season, but I would definitely have preferred losing McCoy to Miami (not only do I think Allen a better choice, but we won't play the Dolphins at all next year unless it's in the playoffs.)

I know we improved a lot last season, but can anyone else remember an 8-8 team with scanned this aggressively for head coach candidates?