PDA

View Full Version : We wont be that active in free agency.....

WARHORSE
03-04-2009, 10:30 PM
The Broncos have no money.

The Broncos wont be signing much in FAgency.

The Broncos will build through the DAFT.

From the Denver Post
No team has been more active in free agency than the Broncos, although the total contractual commitments to the 11 players, including Anderson, is $100.12 million, or about what the Washington Redskins gave $100 million man Albert Haynesworth.

JJ Arrington
Correll Buckhalter
Andra Davis
DAWKINS
Fields
Gaffney
Goodman
Hill
Jordan
Paxton
Peterson
Reid
Simms

That $100 million figure was at 11 players.

We have 13 now adding Peterson and Simms.

Oh, and uh...............we aint done.

This is messed up.

We have no cash on hand.

Bowlen is feeling the pinch cause hes still gotta pay a huge coaching staff that no longer works for us.

I hope we can sign our 9 draft picks...........cause we have no money.

(the wound is well salted now ;))

Feel free to complain about how much money we're blowing.

I told ya.............Bowlen was gonna open up the wallet to make sure McDannyboy is a success..........wouldnt want Bowlen to look stupid for firing Shanny now would we?

Feel free to say we're sending ourselves into cap hell.

Feel free to complain about how much money we dont have.......or are spending.....

Did I say feel free yet?:coffee:

Im looking for McDaniels to be wheeling and dealing on draft day........WHEELING AND DEALING.

Probably trade down.

EMB6903
03-04-2009, 10:39 PM
I dont think this team will ever been in "cap hell" with Xanders

and this article is very misleading, these signings wont see half of this ammount.

But I agree with you on trading down(just not over financial issues) if Stafford/Sanchez fall out of the top 11, teams will jump all over that #12 pick. Hopefully Detriot.

WARHORSE
03-04-2009, 10:48 PM
I dont think this team will ever been in "cap hell" with Xanders

and this article is very misleading, these signings wont see half of this ammount.

But I agree with you on trading down.... esspecially if Stafford/Sanchez falls out of the top 11, teams will jump all over that #12 pick. Hopefully Detriot.

Article isnt misleading at all. It states the truth.

As for the players not seeing half the money.........neither will Haynesworth nor any other free agent signed in the offseason. :D

Thats the way NFL contracts are set up.

Dont worry though, the uneducated will soon come in and say we arent really spending much money...................:tsk:

EMB6903
03-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Article isnt misleading at all. It states the truth.

As for the players not seeing half the money.........neither will Haynesworth nor any other free agent signed in the offseason. :D

Thats the way NFL contracts are set up.

Dont worry though, the uneducated will soon come in and say we arent really spending much money...................:tsk:

of course we are spending money, adding 12 players to your team through FA is definately gonna add up, just not as much as some think.

Im with you though, I would have rather signed 1-2 elite talents and than relied on the draft to build around, I just dont think adding several 2nd tier players is gonna tie up the cap for Denver to where they have to trade down.

oobehr
03-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Although this is a guess I would say all those players contribute to about 20-25 million to the cap this year, where as haynesworth alone is gonna be like 14 a year not counting deangelo hall and the other guy washington signed. Before free agency washington was at like 9 million under, THAT is cap hell. We are just fine.

WARHORSE
03-04-2009, 11:02 PM
of course we are spending money, adding 12 players to your team through FA is definately gonna add up, just not as much as some think.

Im with you though, I would have rather signed 1-2 elite talents and than relied on the draft to build around, I just dont think adding several 2nd tier players is gonna tie up the cap for Denver to where they have to trade down.

Yeah true, but signing the big players has its risks too. Whats smart about this is these guys are gonna play a couple of more years.....and by that time, we hopefully have a couple of drafts paying off.

These players....according to McDaniels......were signed due to very specific skills for what we wanted them for. I dont think anyone in the league has ever done anything like this before in the history of the league, and its exciting to see Bowlen going for it once again. He wants the superbowl.........NOW.

I LOVE being a Bronco fan.:coffee:

EMB6903
03-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Yeah true, but signing the big players has its risks too. Whats smart about this is these guys are gonna play a couple of more years.....and by that time, we hopefully have a couple of drafts paying off.

These players....according to McDaniels......were signed due to very specific skills for what we wanted them for. I dont think anyone in the league has ever done anything like this before in the history of the league, and its exciting to see Bowlen going for it once again. He wants the superbowl.........NOW.

I like the signings of Mcdaniels as well and I like what hes doing not necessarally signing players to be clear cut starters but to make the overall depth stronger. Do not expect to see scrubs like Marquand Manuel, and Calvin Lowry on this roster anymore

NameUsedBefore
03-04-2009, 11:11 PM
I coulda swore we had like $40m in free cap space like a week ago.

oobehr
03-04-2009, 11:30 PM
There is absolutely no coincidence we signed several dolphins. Parcells, Whisenhunt, and any other coach that rebuilt a poor team built it by putting depth at nearly every position, McDaniels and Xanders have clearly put depth at a lot of positions, even the ones we didn't think we needed such as quarterback and wide reciever. I think we might not have a top 5 defense this year but we won't have the 29th. We keep maintaining depth at every position and slowly add big impact players through the draft, or even trading, we could well be the patriots of the next decade.

rcsodak
03-04-2009, 11:31 PM
They have PLENTY of cap money left for this year. Look at guaranteed money, only. And unless one knows how much is being paid THIS YEAR, any mention of "cap hell" is argumentative, at best.

Foochacho
03-04-2009, 11:45 PM

This is why shanny was fired.

I imagine the conversation before being fired went like this......

Bowlen: So Mike you really don't want to fire Slowick.

Mike: Of course not we have a great thing going here, If we resign all of or free agents. We won't need to teach any new guys Bob's crazy bend and then bendover before you break defense. Nate Webster is really coming around. His helmets are catching more air than ever and his dancing is phenomenal. Pat, Have you ever heard of the term peacocking?

Bowlen: Yes I am aware of the term.

Mike: Well, Nate and Jamie are great at it with another season they will be the best in the league. The way Bob and I see it is if they can "serve" the other team with dance moves everyplay then they will scare them right out of there game plan. With the corners playing 10 yards off the line it gives them an open field to work the magic. They can bust moves without having to worry about getting in anyones way. If we fire Slowick all of our hard work will go down the drain.

A new DC will actually teach the players how to tackle and shed blocks. That is not playing to our defenses strengths these guys are to good at dancing and celebrating to risk getting hurt by tackling. Pat, peacocking is the future. Why tackle when you can just scare the opponents with flying helmets and dancing.

Bowlen: (Facepalm) ****

fcspikeit
03-04-2009, 11:56 PM

From the Denver Post
No team has been more active in free agency than the Broncos, although the total contractual commitments to the 11 players, including Anderson, is $100.12 million, or about what the Washington Redskins gave $100 million man Albert Haynesworth.

JJ Arrington
Correll Buckhalter
Andra Davis
DAWKINS
Fields
Gaffney
Goodman
Hill
Jordan
Paxton
Peterson
Reid
Simms

This is messed up.

We have no cash on hand.

Bowlen is feeling the pinch cause hes still gotta pay a huge coaching staff that no longer works for us.

I told ya.............Bowlen was gonna open up the wallet to make sure McDannyboy is a success..........wouldnt want Bowlen to look stupid for firing Shanny now would we?

Feel free to complain about how much money we dont have.......or are spending.....

Im looking for McDaniels to be wheeling and dealing on draft day........WHEELING AND DEALING.

Probably trade down.

Am I wrong or are you being a bit sarcastic for all those who said we wouldn't do much of anything in FA and instead only build through the draft?

By your choice of the word "DAFT" it would appear your directing your sarcasm at someone in particular, or was that just a type'o :confused:

:laugh:

honz
03-05-2009, 12:01 AM
Warhorse, your post confuses me. I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or serious...but all of the guys we have signed have been given extremely reasonable contracts and i don't think any of them are for more than 4 years. Basically all of them are low risk signings and will be fairly painless (financially speaking) to cut.

fcspikeit
03-05-2009, 12:02 AM
This is why shanny was fired.

I imagine the conversation before being fired went like this......

Bowlen: So Mike you really don't want to fire Slowick.

Mike: Of course not we have a great thing going here, If we resign all of or free agents. We won't need to teach any new guys Bob's crazy bend and then bendover before you break defense. Nate Webster is really coming around. His helmets are catching more air than ever and his dancing is phenomenal. Pat, Have you ever heard of the term peacocking?

Bowlen: Yes I am aware of the term.

Mike: Well, Nate and Jamie are great at it with another season they will be the best in the league. The way Bob and I see it is if they can "serve" the other team with dance moves everyplay then they will scare them right out of there game plan. With the corners playing 10 yards off the line it gives them an open field to work the magic. They can bust moves without having to worry about getting in anyones way. If we fire Slowick all of our hard work will go down the drain.

A new DC will actually teach the players how to tackle and shed blocks. That is not playing to our defenses strengths these guys are to good at dancing and celebrating to risk getting hurt by tackling. Pat, peacocking is the future. Why tackle when you can just scare the opponents with flying helmets and dancing.

Bowlen: (Facepalm) ****

If you don't get 20 + high5's for that there is something wrong with the world!

Good stuff! :laugh:

fcspikeit
03-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Warhorse, your post confuses me. I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or serious...but all of the guys we have signed have been given extremely reasonable contracts and i don't think any of them are for more than 4 years. Basically all of them are low risk signings and will be fairly painless (financially speaking) to cut.

Still, when you add up the total amount of guaranteed money it wouldn't appear that the Broncos are as broke as some thought.

I would say they have been pretty active in FA.. :laugh:

WARHORSE
03-05-2009, 12:15 AM
Am I wrong or are you being a bit sarcastic for all those who said we wouldn't do much of anything in FA and instead only build through the draft?

By your choice of the word "DAFT" it would appear your directing your sarcasm at someone in particular, or was that just a type'o :confused:

:laugh:

Anytime you see the word DAFT, its an inside thing with me and JR.

As for SARCASM.........

Ive NEVER been sarcastic.

I dont even know the mean..........ing of the werd.:coffee:

Sarcasm is for people who like to be sarcasticalistical.:coffee:

Unlike totally SERIOUS folk like meself.

:coffee: sssssllllluuuuuuurppp!

JKcatch724
03-05-2009, 01:38 AM
I'm with you War... I can name a few people on here *cough* Jr *cough* that FIRMLY stated we would have no money to spend in FA. Although I'm not super excited about the signings (aside from B-Dawk), I think they will go a way in improving our depth, especially on D, which we had none of. I don't think our draft needs have changed any since we hired McD. We're still gonna go D mostly, and these 30 something guys are the perfect competition for our rookies... and if one of them can beat them out for the job, I'm all for it.

WARHORSE
03-05-2009, 02:03 AM
I'm with you War... I can name a few people on here *cough* Jr *cough* that FIRMLY stated we would have no money to spend in FA. Although I'm not super excited about the signings (aside from B-Dawk), I think they will go a way in improving our depth, especially on D, which we had none of. I don't think our draft needs have changed any since we hired McD. We're still gonna go D mostly, and these 30 something guys are the perfect competition for our rookies... and if one of them can beat them out for the job, I'm all for it.

I keep looking............but I cant find our friends.......:laugh:

omac
03-05-2009, 02:10 AM
Except for the quantity of signings, the quality of the signings seem a lot like last season, with us getting a lot of depth guys, guys who may be past their primes, and no really big free agent acquisitions.

WARHORSE
03-05-2009, 02:17 AM
Except for the quantity of signings, the quality of the signings seem a lot like last season, with us getting a lot of depth guys, guys who may be past their primes, and no really big free agent acquisitions.

I really dont think these guys are like Koutouvides. Koutouvides was never a starter.

Most of these guys have played significant roles in some shape, fashion or form for their former teams.

These........imo.........are more like Wiegman signings.

Lonestar
03-05-2009, 02:21 AM

From the Denver Post

JJ Arrington
Correll Buckhalter
Andra Davis
DAWKINS
Fields
Gaffney
Goodman
Hill
Jordan
Paxton
Peterson
Reid
Simms

This is messed up.

We have no cash on hand.

Probably trade down.

Well we are building VIA the draft there are no super studs in that group that are going to be around for more than few years.. watch what happens in the draft..

And no one ever said they would not sign FA just they would not break the bank doing it with huge guarantees and signing bonuses.. That is where the heavy cash comes up..

If Pat wants to spend alot of money on 11-15 FAs opposed to Hanesworth more power to him..
Night see ya all in n few days..

omac
03-05-2009, 02:26 AM
I really dont think these guys are like Koutouvides. Koutouvides was never a starter.

Most of these guys have played significant roles in some shape, fashion or form for their former teams.

I was thinking weren't McCree and Darell Jackson starters too?

fcspikeit
03-05-2009, 02:57 AM

Niko is the only one of our FA who has drawn any interest, he was signed by the Bucs.. I wonder if they think he can replace Brooks or June? :laugh:

WARHORSE
03-05-2009, 03:04 AM
Well we are building VIA the draft there are no super studs in that group that are going to be around for more than few years.. watch what happens in the draft..

And no one ever said they would not sign FA just they would not break the bank doing it with huge guarantees and signing bonuses.. That is where the heavy cash comes up..

Newsflash.........they broke the bank. There are just as many guarantees with our FAs as with Haynesworths mega deal. And as I told you before, signing bonuses do NOT have to be paid immediately as you erroneously reported. Just letting you know.

If Pat wants to spend alot of money on 11-15 FAs opposed to Hanesworth more power to him..

But how can he choose to spend alot of money on 11-15 FAs without money? And I thought he didnt have enough money to sign Haynesworth IF he chose to do so? I thought all the money was sucked up in the coaches no longer working for us.............what happened to that train of thought?
Its as I said, the Broncos have money. So do all the mega franchises in this league.

Night see ya all in n few days..

So.........40 million in guarantees...........not counting what we're gonna give to the draft picks............

........something doesnt match up with the math youre doing JR. :D

JKcatch724
03-05-2009, 03:04 AM
I was thinking weren't McCree and Darell Jackson starters too?

Jackson was a starter in SF. That doesn't count.

WARHORSE
03-05-2009, 03:05 AM
These are not the Broncos.
Not the Broncos whom Denver-area football fans cheered for in 2008. These are Josh and the X Men.
After signing two more veteran running backs — LaMont Jordan and J.J. Arrington — on Wednesday, and adding quarterback Chris Simms, who presumably will be no more than Jay Cutler's backup, the Broncos increased their newcomer free-agent freight to 12 players.
"They have to be by far the most aggressive team I've ever seen in free agency," said agent J.R. Rickert, who negotiated new deals for Arrington and running back Correll Buckhalter with the Broncos.
And the Broncos' new football operations team of coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders may not be finished signing free agents, now that salary cap room was cleared after the Houston Texans decided to match Denver's three-year offer to restricted free-agent wide receiver David Anderson.
The Broncos also have nine picks in the April 25-26 draft, and they have been trying to trade Tony Scheffler, whose "receiving" tight end position gives way to a third receiver in the "New England" offensive system McDaniels is installing.
McDaniels had been the Patriots' offensive coordinator the past three years, coaching among others new Broncos Jordan, wide receiver Jabar Gaffney and long snapper Lonie Paxton.
"I'm loving the direction," Gaffney said. "We're bringing in the veteran guys and trying to win. And trying to win this season."
One deal the Broncos hope to not make regards Cutler. He will meet with McDaniels next week, the team announced Tuesday.
According to a source close to Cutler, the quarterback is not upset because McDaniels tried to trade him last week to Tampa Bay in a three-team deal that would have brought quarterback Matt Cassel to Denver. He's upset because he doesn't believe McDaniels' claim the trade proposal was initiated by other clubs.
What's the difference? When other teams seek Cutler, it means he's wanted. If the Broncos try to trade him, it means Cutler is unwanted.
With the quarterback controversy put to the side, the Broncos have gone about rebuilding a new team. Simms appears to be part of the fallback plan — his two-year, $6 million contract is substantial given he hasn't taken a meaningful snap in nearly three seasons.
The Broncos' 12 notable newcomers are six defensive starters (safeties Brian Dawkins and Renaldo Hill, cornerback Andre' Goodman, tackle Ron Fields, inside linebacker Andra Davis and Darrell Reid, a tackle the Broncos plan to covert to outside linebacker), five offensive players (Simms, Gaffney, Buckhalter, Jordan and Arrington) and one special-teams player (Paxton).
Since McDaniels was hired to succeed Mike Shanahan as Denver's coach, there has been considerable discussion about the "Patriot Way." By definition, the Patriot Way is about hard-nosed, selfless players other teams often consider too old (Rodney Harrison and Junior Seau) or untalented (Wes Welker). Together, these players buy into the Patriots' system and gain recognition through team success.
The Broncos in turn have added aging players (Dawkins and Davis) and several "second-tier" players. The $39.52 million the Broncos have allocated in bonus guarantees and 2009 salaries to their 12 newcomers is less than the $41 million the Washington Redskins guaranteed to one player, defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth. "That was definitely one of the greatest things preached around the Patriots is team," Gaffney said. "You can't have a whole bunch of individuals; you have to have a team to have a shot. And that's what Josh is going to have around here."

rcsodak
03-05-2009, 04:34 PM
The Broncos in turn have added aging players (Dawkins and Davis) and several "second-tier" players. The $39.52 million the Broncos have allocated in bonus guarantees and 2009 salaries to their 12 newcomers is less than the $41 million the Washington Redskins guaranteed to one player, defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth. "That was definitely one of the greatest things preached around the Patriots is team," Gaffney said. "You can't have a whole bunch of individuals; you have to have a team to have a shot. And that's what Josh is going to have around here."

So how much of that is hitting this year's cap? Anyone?????

weazel
03-05-2009, 09:57 PM
I just wish he would have spent more money on ex-browns.