PDA

View Full Version : Nate Irving

SmilinAssasSin27
01-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Are there any indications that he can be Mays' successor at MLB?

Discuss.

Ziggy
01-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Unless he was injured like some are speculating, he had to have been absolutely worthless in practice. As bad as Joe Mays played this season, he couldn't unseat him.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Just making sure. If anyone else has anything, please lemme know. Just not seeing a whole lot of opinion stating that MLB is a legit offseason need. Granted, I don't need everyone to always agree with me, so I was just wondering about his status.

bcbronc
01-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Unless he was injured like some are speculating, he had to have been absolutely worthless in practice. As bad as Joe Mays played this season, he couldn't unseat him.

Even when Mays missed plays due to injury, Irving didn't see the field.

Maybe Fox didn't want to go with too much youth at the same time...Miller, Harris, both Ss and the MLB all as rookies?

If not that or injury, I'm rooting for him but MLB is a pretty instinctive position...

muse
01-22-2012, 07:16 PM
He was the only guy not fooled by the awesome trick play TD that KC ran against us at Arrowhead. Other than that, hopefully he can be a bit more useful this season. On papee he sounds ideal...

MOtorboat
01-22-2012, 07:19 PM
I still have hope. Loved what I saw of him in college.

hamrob
01-22-2012, 07:23 PM
The MLB is typically the captain of the defense. They make all the calls etc. I think fox felt better with Woodyard and/or Haggan in the lineup.

The first thing that I think Irving needs to do...is put some bulk on upstairs. I think he looks something like a rag doll on special teams.

Remember, though...these rookies got zero coaching after they were drafted. They didn't really get going until they hit camp. So, that may have been a lot to ask these guys. We'll see.

Personally, I'd draft Burflict!

VonSackemMiller
01-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Of course he is, I always believed in nate i just believed when he was drafted he needed a year off basically to heal all the way up the same way i believed Bay Bay needed a year off. Nate Irving is a beast, a tackling machine with a good 15-20 yard burst. He didnt play much this year only spot duty on special teams so i think its clear that management didnt want to force him on the field untill he was all the way healthy for the next season. Smart decision!!! Watch this guy come out in beast mode next year.

Softskull
01-22-2012, 07:45 PM
I'm still a Nate luvva. The kid was a destroyer in college.

CoachChaz
01-22-2012, 07:49 PM
Nate WILL be back

BeefStew25
01-22-2012, 08:49 PM
I think he still wasn't right from his car wreck.

camdisco24
01-22-2012, 10:09 PM
The dude was a beast in college. I believe I read he was injured during camp at some point, but I can't find the link for the life of me. I think he has huge upside and I can't wait to see what he can do with a full offseason (just like I am for most of our young guys with upside).

CoachChaz
01-22-2012, 10:12 PM
He always had a propensity to play with reckless abandon as well. I think a season of learning how to think at the position was needed as well. I have no doubt he'll be a good player for us

G_Money
01-22-2012, 10:18 PM
Nate Irving should play for us. I dunno if it'll be at MLB, but I'd like to see him tried there after a full offseason to work out and a full year of NFL practices to get the hang of the pro routine.

That said, if we have the opportunity to add a better player I wouldn't turn it down, because Mays is giving it his best...but it's not good enough as a starter.

~G

tubby
01-22-2012, 11:50 PM
I hope he turns into a player. Hopefully the lockout set him back a year and he will come out balling in 2012. Trade DJ for a corner.

Skinny
01-23-2012, 06:18 AM
Fox likes his veteran laden teams, especially on the feild. Just a guess but i think he might have been a little uncomfortable putting 2 rookie LBs on the feild at the same time trying to install a new scheme and revamping the defense on the fly. He went the more experianced Mays and played the rookie who he felt would have the biggest immediate impact in Miller.

sneakers
01-23-2012, 06:28 AM
Who is nate irving?

sneakers
01-23-2012, 06:30 AM
Fox likes his veteran laden teams, especially on the feild. Just a guess but i think he might have been a little uncomfortable putting 2 rookie LBs on the feild at the same time trying to install a new scheme and revamping the defense on the fly. He went the more experianced Mays and played the rookie who he felt would have the biggest immediate impact in Miller.

lol I understand it was out of necessity, but I'd rather have 2 rookie linebackers playing than 3 rookie DBs playing

Skinny
01-23-2012, 06:40 AM
lol I understand it was out of necessity, but I'd rather have 2 rookie linebackers playing than 3 rookie DBs playing

Me too, but sometimes injuries force your hand.

NightTerror218
01-23-2012, 12:27 PM
I hope he turns into a player. Hopefully the lockout set him back a year and he will come out balling in 2012. Trade DJ for a corner.

hell no!:mad:

VonSackemMiller
01-23-2012, 04:48 PM
if john fox hangs his hat on veterans how does young players ever develope? This is exactly why carolina was trash consistantly. John fox doesnt develope players, if they dont have it right away they will never develope, whicch is another reason why hes a poor coach.

SOCALORADO.
01-23-2012, 05:25 PM
http://gridironfans.com/forums/attachments/latest-nfl-headlines/31815d1325130977-panthers-lb-dan-connor-will-test-free-dan-connor.png

Just get this guy. CAR has 5 elite LBs and Connor played outstanding all year.
CAR cant afford all of em, and Connor is a UFA.
Let him "QB" the Allen/Fox defense.
I think Irving is a better OLB prospect myself anyways.

NightTerror218
01-23-2012, 05:27 PM
http://gridironfans.com/forums/attachments/latest-nfl-headlines/31815d1325130977-panthers-lb-dan-connor-will-test-free-dan-connor.png

I would take him. Also shows that Fox loves his LB, and i could see him drafting more.

SOCALORADO.
01-23-2012, 05:56 PM
I would take him. Also shows that Fox loves his LB, and i could see him drafting more.

LB Lavonte David. Look him up. Sleeper pick.

NightTerror218
01-23-2012, 05:59 PM
LB Lavonte David. Look him up. Sleeper pick.

he is one of the guys I want to watch at Senior Bowl.

Jsteve01
01-23-2012, 06:28 PM
Irving wreaked havoc at NC State. Always in the opponents backfield. I'm excited to see what he brings to the table this year.

Skinny
01-24-2012, 07:23 AM
if john fox hangs his hat on veterans how does young players ever develope? This is exactly why carolina was trash consistantly. John fox doesnt develope players, if they dont have it right away they will never develope, whicch is another reason why hes a poor coach.

He likes to groom them a bit and work them into the rotation. Not all of them obviously, the Jon Beasons of the world will start day 1. But that's a nice luxury to have when bringing in and preparing young guys who have some work to do.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-24-2012, 06:19 PM
I really like David, but he is all OLB. That frame will get destroyed if he's in the middle.

Elevation inc
01-24-2012, 09:11 PM
I would get lofton or connor in FA for MLB, let woodyard walk and have Irving as the nickel backer replacing woodyard at WLB behind DJ.

getlynched47
01-24-2012, 09:32 PM
That's what he was drafted for. We'll see in August if he pans out.

LTC Pain
01-24-2012, 10:22 PM
You'll get your chance next year Nate. When you do, take it and run with it brother!

Ravage!!!
01-24-2012, 11:27 PM
I think MLB is at one of the very top needs this team has.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-25-2012, 06:39 PM

I am REALLY warming up to this idea. Adding Connor and a CB via FA would really give us options come draft night.