PDA

View Full Version : New back up QB: Chris Simms

turftoad
03-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Simms, the Titans’ No.3 quarterback last season, agreed to terms on a two-year deal with the Denver Broncos on Wednesday after an impressive workout.

The Titans wanted to re-sign the free agent, and Simms stayed in touch with the team since free agency began on Feb. 27, but the opportunity in Denver was too good to pass up. He'll be the No. 2 quarterback behind Jay Cutler.

For Simms, it’s the biggest step in his return from a 2006 spleen injury.

While playing in a game for the Buccaneers in 2006, Simms suffered a ruptured spleen and underwent an emergency splendectomy after the game. He spent the 2007 season on injured reserve and hadn’t drawn much attention from other teams.

The Titans signed Simms in September and he continued to gain strength throughout the season, both on the practice field and in rehab.

He played only in the season finale after backing up Kerry Collins and Vince Young all season, but coaches felt by the end of the season he was 100 percent healthy.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...56/1002/SPORTS

BroncoWave
03-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Boo, now I have to adopt someone else.

Shoulda kept Ramsey!

Lonestar
03-04-2009, 06:43 PM
sounds like we will need a paramedic on the sidelines now Just for the QB's:laugh:

Lonestar
03-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Boo, now I have to adopt someone else.

Shoulda kept Ramsey!

Simms is available

BroncoWave
03-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Simms is available

I only adopted Ramsey because he went to Tulane. I never actually cared for his play! :lol:

Thankfully we signed Ron Fields though so I can still adopt someone from my other favorite college team!

Dortoh
03-04-2009, 06:47 PM
I only adopted Ramsey because he went to Tulane. I never actually cared for his play! :lol:

Thankfully we signed Ron Fields though so I can still adopt someone from my other favorite college team!

This post makes me feel so much better about you ;)

Watching Ramsey was flat out painful

shank
03-04-2009, 06:53 PM
nice signing

fcspikeit
03-04-2009, 06:55 PM
I wonder how long it will take before there are rumors of a QB controversy in Denver?

My guess is right after Cutlers first bad game the talk will start up.

IMO Simms has proven as much in this league as Cassel has. I don't like that he's a lefty though, The receivers will have to adjust to the backward spin of the ball.. I know it might sound dumb but in a lot of cases 1 or 2 drops can be the difference between winning and losing a game. If he had to come in mid game the receivers wouldn't be used to the lefty spin..

*edit* Plus the strong side to a righty is different then that of a lefty and the blocking assignments are also different because the right side now becomes the blindside of the QB.

All are minor things but as I said, it is something that will have to be adjusted mid game if the starter goes down.

BroncoJoe
03-04-2009, 06:58 PM
I wonder how long it will take before there are rumors of a QB controversy in Denver?

My guess is right after Cutlers first bad game the talk will start up.

IMO Simms has proven as much in this league as Cassel has. I don't like that he's a lefty though, The receivers will have to adjust to the backward spin of the ball.. I know it might sound dumb but in a lot of cases 1 or 2 drops can be the difference between winning and losing a game. If he had to come in mid game the receivers wouldn't be used to the lefty spin..

Please, that's childs play for a receiver.

The tough part is the line. Right Tackle becomes the most important position.

TXBRONC
03-04-2009, 07:01 PM

Thankfully we do have a good right tackle.

fcspikeit
03-04-2009, 07:03 PM

It's not inconceivable to have a couple extra drops because of it..

BroncoJoe
03-04-2009, 07:04 PM
It's not inconceivable to have a couple extra drops because of it..

No more than B-Marsh last year. It's a misnomer.

DenBronx
03-04-2009, 07:20 PM
good pickup for us. i feel alot more comfortable with simms as a backup.

elsid13
03-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Doesn't he have young Shanahan name tattooed on his ankle?

MadMax
03-04-2009, 07:25 PM
I think this is a great pickup, he has a lot of upside(you can only rupture your spleen once:lol:) and if he continues to progress and gets a few chances to play we might even be able to pull a Matt Cassel type franchise + trade with him in 2 years.

Now, forgive me for beating a dead fossilized horse here but, my spidey sense is a little weary that a guy(Simms) who has said he still wants to be a starter in this league and had a chance to sign with Detroit instead chose the Broncos. Sorry just had to say it.

dogfish
03-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Thankfully we do have good right tackle.

one that actually has a skill set that's more suited to right tackle. . . if simms ever has to see any extended playing time (i'm referring here to mop-up duty after cutty lights 'em up, of course), i don't think having harris protecting his blind side will be any kind of issue. . . yea, he's not as dominant as clady, but the guy proved this year that he's a damn solid pass blocker. . .

BroncoWave
03-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Doesn't he have young Shanahan name tattooed on his ankle?

Yep.

Timmy!
03-04-2009, 09:10 PM
He's much better than Ramsey, but that's not saying a lot.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-04-2009, 09:21 PM
nice pickup.

slowly but surely...

the whole may actually be greater than the sum of it's parts in 2009.

tomjonesrocks
03-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Hmm....Simms. I don't hate the guy, but I'd prefer to have a QB with a skillset more similar to the team's starter to minimize the damage/change if there's a need to bring a backup in. A left-hander with dubious arm strength doesn't really accomplish that--but he probably has roughly equivalent mobility I guess. Also some have written Simms' arm strength has looked improved of late.

In any case, excluding burning a draft pick, I don't know who I'd suggest instead so I guess that compromises my argument. Also, Simms seems to have some heart as others have pointed out. He shouldn't "crash the car" if he's called upon.

Probably a workable if (another) unexciting signing.

WARHORSE
03-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Good signing.

Hopefully he can be helped by McJimCarey.

xzn
03-04-2009, 10:13 PM
WH, I love you man but if I see one more

MC (insert contrived nickname) I think I'm going to jump off a cliff like that picture of your son.

Two Words on Mc Jokes they are Mc Lame and Mc Stale and Mc PLAYED OUT!!!

shank
03-04-2009, 10:18 PM

MC (insert contrived nickname) I think I'm going to jump off a cliff like that picture of your son.

McChill, bro.

BroncoWave
03-04-2009, 10:26 PM

Totally agreed. If course, most of it seems to be coming from Shanny-loyalists who decided to hate McDaniels the second he was named head coach.

TXBRONC
03-04-2009, 10:28 PM
one that actually has a skill set that's more suited to right tackle. . . if simms ever has to see any extended playing time (i'm referring here to mop-up duty after cutty lights 'em up, of course), i don't think having harris protecting his blind side will be any kind of issue. . . yea, he's not as dominant as clady, but the guy proved this year that he's a damn solid pass blocker. . .

I think Harris like Clady has the makings of being an All-Pro right tackle.

rcsodak
03-04-2009, 11:16 PM
I think Harris like Clady has the makings of being an All-Pro right tackle.

Clady wasn't an "All-Pro right tackle". :coffee:

:D

WARHORSE
03-05-2009, 12:27 AM

:coffee:

So............

Im in an internal struggle here..................

Im seriously conflicted on what to do..........

Should I take this opportunity to be sarcastic and amuse myself........

Or should I hear the call of a brother in need......someone who is beckoning me to ease the pain...................?

.................stay tuned.

:D

sneakers
03-05-2009, 02:31 AM
I like it.

Magnificent Seven
03-05-2009, 02:40 AM
Therefore, Broncos have three QBs.

1. Jay Cutler

2. Chris Simms

3. Darrell Hackney

So, are they going to add one more QB or they are good to go?

WARHORSE
03-05-2009, 03:17 AM

1. Jay Cutler

2. Chris Simms

3. Darrell Hackney

Doubt it. But if we ever end up going through QBs like we did RBs last year............

........my son can chuck it 70, so in a pinch, if the first three git knocked out, at least we still got the hail mary. And he'll play for free.:D

OrangeHoof
03-05-2009, 03:48 AM
As a Texas alum who watched plenty of Simms in college, my thoughts:

1) He's got plenty enough arm strength. That shouldn't be a problem.

2) His best friend/roomie in college was Kyle Shanahan, Mike's son.

3) Has a reputation as a choker, looks good against lesser teams but doesn't man up well in big games. See the 2001 Big XII Championship game if you need illustrations. You Buffaloes fans probably still remember it.

4) Never was thrilled with his accuracy. Needed Roy Williams' big wingspan to haul in some errant passes.

5) Nickname in college was "The Prince" because of his football royalty bloodlines and his detached demeanor. He's a rich kid that never had to get down and dirty, relying on his name and his talent to get where he did.

If he isn't gunshy from the spleen incident and some leaky offensive lines, he can be a solid backup but don't expect him to lead any comebacks or win any big games for you. And he doesn't strike me as a McDiapers-type QB. His type are quick-read-and-throw-short-with-accuracy and Simms is more a long-develop-and-outthrow-the-coverage type. He's an upgrade over Ramsey sort of like the Bronx is an upgrade from Newark.

The true downside is that now his father will probably be announcing more Broncos games. :mad:

broncophan
03-05-2009, 06:29 AM
I guess I will accept the fact that he is our back-up qb..............but I will still never forgive his father for what he did against us in the superbowl........way back when......

broncofaninfla
03-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Simms is an upgrade at the back up QB spot no doubt. I like this signing, not in love with signing 3 RB's who aren't any better than what we have but IMO the Simms signing is good assurance if something happens to Cutler.

Medford Bronco
03-05-2009, 09:01 AM
As long as he is healthy this is a good pickup.

I just hope he does not need to play if you know what I mean.
That means all the health in the world to Jay

and for a fresh start for all.

tomjonesrocks
03-05-2009, 10:48 AM

1. Jay Cutler

2. Chris Simms

3. Darrell Hackney

I'd be shocked to see Hackney make it to the final roster.

TXBRONC
03-05-2009, 10:56 AM
How many quarterbacks did New England carry on their opening day roster?

Medford Bronco
03-05-2009, 11:04 AM
How many quarterbacks did New England carry on their opening day roster?

They carried 3 QBs

Two on the roster and one on the practice squad I believe.

TXBRONC
03-05-2009, 11:07 AM
They carried 3 QBs

Thank you. I had hunch they did. That's still no guarantee that Hackney will make the roster but at least some kind of indicator what McDaniels might do.

LRtagger
03-05-2009, 11:10 AM
He will be on the PS again. Why not move him to the PS? No one has shown any interest in other times he has been there. It would be a safe bet that putting him on the PS wouldn't be any different than having him on the active roster...except giving us another roster spot for a 15th RB.

TXBRONC
03-05-2009, 11:28 AM
He will be on the PS again. Why not move him to the PS? No one has shown any interest in other times he has been there. It would be a safe bet that putting him on the PS wouldn't be any different than having him on the active roster...except giving us another roster spot for a 15th RB.

Isn't Hackney about out of practice squad time?