PDA

View Full Version : Arrington a Bronco afterall.

turftoad
03-04-2009, 05:24 PM
ARRINGTON DOES DEAL WITH BRONCOS, AFTER ALL
Posted by Mike Florio on March 4, 2009, 5:15 p.m.
It’s been a strange week for the Broncos. They’ve signed a slew of new free agents and nearly traded away their franchise quarterback.

It’s been an even stranger week for running back J.J. Arrington. After having a deal in place with the Broncos, the thing fell through. But now, it’s back on.

According to a league source, the Broncos have again agreed to terms with Arrington, according to Mike Klis of the Denver Post.

Arrington is the third running back that new coach Josh McDaniels and new G.M. Brian Xanders have signed, joining Correll Buckhalter and LaMont Jordan.

A league source tells us that the Broncos initially were troubled by a meniscus injury in Arrington’s knee. The deal fell apart over guaranteed money (or, more accurately, the lack of it).

But the knee has since checked out, and the deal was able to be finalized.

keithbishop
03-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Holy crap. Tough to see us taking a RB in the draft, at least through the 1st 5 rounds.
We need a KR, so perhaps Arrington can win that job. Some will be upset about this, but I was OK with Arrington either way.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-04-2009, 05:29 PM
3 new RBs to go w/ Torain and Hillis...someone isn't making it out of camp.

Who ya got?

topscribe
03-04-2009, 05:29 PM
I wonder how the team is going to do with 22 RBs on the field? :coffee:

-----

BeefStew25
03-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Man, I love competition.

bullis26
03-04-2009, 05:37 PM
im probably the only one who thinks arrington is the best signing outta these three backs. Buck and jordan have injuries (bucks being a major one) and age both pretty old. Arrington is a great 3rd down back and a good KR he's still young too who knows maybe he'll finally live up to his potential

Ziggy
03-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Arrington is a solid KR, and doesn't put the ball on the ground often. 1 fumble in 389 career touches.

MileHighWrath
03-04-2009, 05:49 PM
I wonder how the team is going to do with 22 RBs on the field? :coffee:

-----

if next year is anything like last year they will need every one of those 22 RBs plus 22 more

bullis26
03-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Arrington is a solid KR, and doesn't put the ball on the ground often. 1 fumble in 389 career touches.

didnt know that, knew he didnt fumble much but wow thats just another good reason i like arrington

UnderArmour
03-04-2009, 05:56 PM

Who ya got?

I got Buckhalter, Selvin Young, and Arrington on Injured Reserve. Well, maybe just Selvin and Arrington.

honz
03-04-2009, 05:58 PM
I wrote this in another thread, but we really don't have THAT many RB's. Buckhalter, Arrington, Jordan, Torain, and Hillis. Hillis may move back to being a full time FB, Arrington is a 3rd down guy and a kick returner, no one knows how Torain will look after recovering from knee surgery, Buckhalter and Jordan are solid options that are both fairly versatile...and Selvin, Andre, and Pittman are all officially gone IMO. Maybe one of these guys will get cut, but I won't be surprised if they all make it on the final roster, especially since Hillis and Arrington can fill multiple roles.

Dean
03-04-2009, 06:48 PM
I wrote this in another thread, but we really don't have THAT many RB's. Buckhalter, Arrington, Jordan, Torain, and Hillis. Hillis may move back to being a full time FB, Arrington is a 3rd down guy and a kick returner, no one knows how Torain will look after recovering from knee surgery, Buckhalter and Jordan are solid options that are both fairly versatile...and Selvin, Andre, and Pittman are all officially gone IMO. Maybe one of these guys will get cut, but I won't be surprised if they all make it on the final roster, especially since Hillis and Arrington can fill multiple roles.

McKid runs almost exclusively out of a 3 wideout set, that is why the Broncos are attempting to trade Tony. That puts the true FB on the bench watching the game except during special teams.

TXBRONC
03-04-2009, 06:53 PM
McKid runs almost exclusively out of a 3 wideout set, that is why the Broncos are attempting to trade Tony. That puts the true FB on the bench watching the game except during special teams.

I wonder percentage wise just much the Patriots ran the 3 wideout sets?

lex
03-04-2009, 08:03 PM
ARRINGTON DOES DEAL WITH BRONCOS, AFTER ALL
Posted by Mike Florio on March 4, 2009, 5:15 p.m.
It’s been a strange week for the Broncos. They’ve signed a slew of new free agents and nearly traded away their franchise quarterback.

It’s been an even stranger week for running back J.J. Arrington. After having a deal in place with the Broncos, the thing fell through. But now, it’s back on.

According to a league source, the Broncos have again agreed to terms with Arrington, according to Mike Klis of the Denver Post.

Arrington is the third running back that new coach Josh McDaniels and new G.M. Brian Xanders have signed, joining Correll Buckhalter and LaMont Jordan.

A league source tells us that the Broncos initially were troubled by a meniscus injury in Arrington’s knee. The deal fell apart over guaranteed money (or, more accurately, the lack of it).

But the knee has since checked out, and the deal was able to be finalized.

How is he better than Alridge? What a waste.

roomemp
03-04-2009, 08:19 PM
How is he better than Alridge? What a waste.

Arrington has played in an NFL regular season game. Alridge only played against mostly 3 string defenses with the exception of the Cardinals preseason game.

lex
03-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Arrington has played in an NFL regular season game. Alridge only played against mostly 3 string defenses with the exception of the Cardinals preseason game.

Exactly. We know Arrington isnt very good. With Alridge, theres a possibility that he could be good.

Whats with signing every average running back that is injury prone? This is gawd awful.

tomjonesrocks
03-04-2009, 09:09 PM

Who ya got?

Torain shouldn't make it. Dude has proved nothing, was a suspect pick from "go", and has had injuries of all sorts. Coming off an ACL when he wasn't proven to begin with? Time for the CFL.

Dean
03-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Exactly. We know Arrington isnt very good. With Alridge, theres a possibility that he could be good.

Whats with signing every average running back that is injury prone? This is gawd awful.

I am sure the answer lies somewhere in that McKid looking over last year's game film felt he could do better. The team needed immediate improvement on our IR list for next year. He wants to show that anyone can have 7 IR running backs but McKid is going for 10 and he wants to get an early start on the record.

Foochacho
03-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Torain shouldn't make it. Dude has proved nothing, was a suspect pick from "go", and has had injuries of all sorts. Coming off an ACL when he wasn't proven to begin with? Time for the CFL.

He won't get cut yet they will wait till camp and preseason and let all 50 of our rb scrubs dual it out for the first spot on IR. May the best scrub win.

WARHORSE
03-04-2009, 10:44 PM
im probably the only one who thinks arrington is the best signing outta these three backs. Buck and jordan have injuries (bucks being a major one) and age both pretty old. Arrington is a great 3rd down back and a good KR he's still young too who knows maybe he'll finally live up to his potential

Buckhalter can tote the rock. He didnt look injured to me last year.

Regardless, I dont think Selvin Young is gonna be wearing a number next year.

And Hillis may become a trade commodity valuable to all west coast offenses...............like Houstons.

bullis26
03-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Arrington isnt good? he's fumbled once in his career, one of the great 3rd down backs in this league, and guess how the cardinals got such good field position he was there primary return man, as for buckhalter last year was his first 16 game season and the guys 30

Simple Jaded
03-04-2009, 11:44 PM

JJ Arrington had only missed one game in his career before missing 5 games last season.

Buckhalter and Torain, fine, but Arrington? He's reliable and another wasted RB talent in Arizona, imo.

And btw, Aldridge didn't make the final53 last year because why? Say it with me.......wait for it.......Injury.......

dogfish
03-05-2009, 12:25 AM

Who ya got?

i'll take ryan toesprain for 500 please, alex. . . .

Timmy!
03-05-2009, 12:34 AM
I'm alright with this signing. The guy has potential, and is at the bare minimum is a good return man.

WARHORSE
03-05-2009, 02:23 AM
I'm alright with this signing. The guy has potential, and is at the bare minimum is a good return man.

This is EXACTLY what it is about. The guy can return the ball on KRs.

Plain and simple, when was the last time we had a real threat in that area of the game.

McD, true to his word, is addressing every aspect of the team.

And he has my praise for that part of his work.

bcbronc
03-05-2009, 02:30 AM

BC Lions could use him. stupid Steelers stole our starting tailback. :tsk:

Arrington isnt good? he's fumbled once in his career, one of the great 3rd down backs in this league, and guess how the cardinals got such good field position he was there primary return man, as for buckhalter last year was his first 16 game season and the guys 30

one of the great 3rd down backs in the league? o'reelly?

and he doesn't get enough touches to fumble. he gets 50-60 touches a season, plus kick-off returns. maybe he'll thrive in our new offense and be our home-run back. or fill the Kevin Faulk role. or, my bet, he'll put up solid KR numbers and get cut before his second season.

omac
03-05-2009, 02:42 AM
Aldridge better not turn out to be another Sproles. Then again, maybe Sproles isn't suited for Denver's new "amoeba" offense. :confused:

If these guys can stay healthy and contribute, then great. As long as McDaniels doesn't try to trade Hillis, our RB situation should be okay.

fcspikeit
03-05-2009, 06:00 PM
The Broncos had an agreement Friday with Arizona free- agent running back J.J. Arrington on a four-year, $10 million contract but the deal began to crumble over injury protection. Arrington played in Super Bowl XLIII with a slightly torn meniscus in his right knee. The injury has been surgically repaired but the Broncos didn't want to guarantee the $1.8 million signing bonus or his $1.2 million salary this year.

Man I hope his knee holds up :tsk:

bcbronc
03-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Man I hope his knee holds up :tsk:

NOW I understand this signing.

:mad:

bullis26
03-05-2009, 06:15 PM
BC Lions could use him. stupid Steelers stole our starting tailback. :tsk:

one of the great 3rd down backs in the league? o'reelly?

and he doesn't get enough touches to fumble. he gets 50-60 touches a season, plus kick-off returns. maybe he'll thrive in our new offense and be our home-run back. or fill the Kevin Faulk role. or, my bet, he'll put up solid KR numbers and get cut before his second season.

how is arrington not theres a handful better than him, hes a good reciever coming out of the backfield, can make people miss, good in open space(screens), and a great blocker he's a pretty good 3rd down back

bcbronc
03-05-2009, 06:17 PM
how is arrington not theres a handful better than him, hes a good reciever coming out of the backfield, can make people miss, good in open space(screens), and a great blocker he's a pretty good 3rd down back

"pretty good" is a long way from "one of the greats in the league". just sayin'.

Medford Bronco
03-05-2009, 06:25 PM
I do not see this as a bad signing, especially if his main thing is returning kicks
where the Broncos have been average forever it seems

fcspikeit
03-05-2009, 06:32 PM
I do not see this as a bad signing, especially if his main thing is returning kicks
where the Broncos have been average forever it seems

He better be damn good at it if that's the main reason we brought him in.. We are paying him better the the average backup HB..

underrated29
03-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Hey guys i glanced at an aritcle in the post, this may have been posted already, but it said broncos new rb arrington needs offseason surgery.

it was a quick glance, but wanted to see if anyone had anything on this?