PDA

View Full Version : McCoy sour grapes?

Dzone
01-21-2012, 03:25 PM
This writer seems to think so.

We can’t help but wonder if McCoy or those around McCoy did a disservice by letting it become public that he thought he was the favorite. We’re not sure if letting this information about Bowles out there helps McCoy’s long-term interests either. It sounds like sour grapes.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/21/mccoy-thinks-unwillingness-to-keep-bowles-may-have-cost-job/

TXBRONC
01-21-2012, 03:59 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/21/mccoy-thinks-unwillingness-to-keep-bowles-may-have-cost-job/

Philbin has a Super Bowl ring and a highly ranked offense on his resume that gave him a leg up.

Even so that doesn't make it sour grapes on McCoy's part to speculate he might not have gotten the job because he wouldn't hire Bowles.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-21-2012, 04:58 PM
Philbin has a Super Bowl ring and a highly ranked offense on his resume that gave him a leg up.

Even so that doesn't make it sour grapes on McCoy's part to speculate he might not have gotten the job because he wouldn't hire Bowles.

I know nothing about Philbin but I will tell you this... personally, I wouldn't hire a coordinator to be the HC based on the job he did as a coordinator (or on his team's success) when he didn't call the plays. Philbin has never called the plays in Green Bay. McCarthy calls the plays.

I never would've given McCoy a sniff last year because even though he was our OC, McDouchebag called the plays. IMO, hiring a coordinator to be your new HC, should include his success in calling the shots. As a coordinator who doesn't call plays, when have you EVER made the tough decision?

This may come back to haunt Miami. They wanted the coach with a Packers' smell and a SB ring, but as far as a coach, Philbin is a relative unknown. What has he done, watch McCarthy call plays and Rodgers execute them? Their offense is all McCarthy.

I think there's a reason nobody except the Broncos has ever interviewed Rick Dennison even though he's touted as a very smart coach. He's never been "the guy". Kubiak called the plays under Shanny, then when Kubes moved on to Houston, Shanny promoted Dennison to OC, but Shanny called the plays until he relinquished it it to Jeremy Bates (the QB coach) in 2008. Dennison was the OC but wasn't calling plays? Then when McDicknose let Dennison go to Houston, Dennison became Kube's OC - but doesn't call the plays... Kubes does.

We'll see if Philbin can do something in Miami, but I think they'll regret not hiring McCoy. I really do. Not that McCoy is some brilliant offensive mind, but he has experience being "the guy" now. McCoy has been with Fox and McDaniels and has seen first hand exactly how to be a HC, and how not to...

silkamilkamonico
01-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Is Philbin really a coordinator? McCarthy calls the plays in that offense.

Northman
01-21-2012, 05:29 PM
I dont think much of McCoy but i would of done the same thing. If your going to hire me as a HC i want my own staff, not guys that are forced upon me. Now, if i like someone on that staff or liked what they were doing than i would keep them. But if it was an ultimatum than McCoy did the right thing. I agree with HP that this will backfire but not because Philbin may or may not have called plays in GB.

wayninja
01-21-2012, 06:48 PM
Meh, if I were hired as head coach I'd expect to choose my own staff too. If this is true, it's no wonder why bigger names were all passing on the job.

chazoe60
01-21-2012, 07:21 PM
If this is true McCoy did the right thing. You don't want ypur first act as a HC to be allowing ownership to dictate your staff. It's one thing for the FO to request that a new HC at least consider some remaining staff or to interview them but to demand it is bad business.

On the flip side if McCoy is running his mouth about it that's even worse business. He needs to be careful you don't want to get the reputation as a loose lipped wild card type. He should just say "congrats to Philben, I'm disapointed but I know there will be more opportunities for me in the future".

Chef Zambini
01-22-2012, 11:25 AM
I know nothing about Philbin but I will tell you this... personally, I wouldn't hire a coordinator to be the HC based on the job he did as a coordinator (or on his team's success) when he didn't call the plays. Philbin has never called the plays in Green Bay. McCarthy calls the plays.

I never would've given McCoy a sniff last year because even though he was our OC, McDouchebag called the plays. IMO, hiring a coordinator to be your new HC, should include his success in calling the shots. As a coordinator who doesn't call plays, when have you EVER made the tough decision?

This may come back to haunt Miami. They wanted the coach with a Packers' smell and a SB ring, but as far as a coach, Philbin is a relative unknown. What has he done, watch McCarthy call plays and Rodgers execute them? Their offense is all McCarthy.

I think there's a reason nobody except the Broncos has ever interviewed Rick Dennison even though he's touted as a very smart coach. He's never been "the guy". Kubiak called the plays under Shanny, then when Kubes moved on to Houston, Shanny promoted Dennison to OC, but Shanny called the plays until he relinquished it it to Jeremy Bates (the QB coach) in 2008. Dennison was the OC but wasn't calling plays? Then when McDicknose let Dennison go to Houston, Dennison became Kube's OC - but doesn't call the plays... Kubes does.

We'll see if Philbin can do something in Miami, but I think they'll regret not hiring McCoy. I really do. Not that McCoy is some brilliant offensive mind, but he has experience being "the guy" now. McCoy has been with Fox and McDaniels and has seen first hand exactly how to be a HC, and how not to...excellent post, very valid point !
in a word, KUBIAK !

Chef Zambini
01-22-2012, 11:28 AM
KUBIAK along with GIBBS was always the REAL genius behind the bronco offense of the late '90's !!!!!
Shanny was just the figurehead who took all the credit while guys like KUBES, GIBBS and TURNER were the ones MOST responsable for the bronco success !
loook at shanny now.

TXBRONC
01-22-2012, 03:11 PM
I dont think much of McCoy but i would of done the same thing. If your going to hire me as a HC i want my own staff, not guys that are forced upon me. Now, if i like someone on that staff or liked what they were doing than i would keep them. But if it was an ultimatum than McCoy did the right thing. I agree with HP that this will backfire but not because Philbin may or may not have called plays in GB.

Good point. It had crossed my mind that I would want to hire my own staff not have someone else being forced upon me. Head coaches should have the latitude to hire the staff they want. To me it compromises your head coach's authority.

TXBRONC
01-22-2012, 03:21 PM
If this is true McCoy did the right thing. You don't want ypur first act as a HC to be allowing ownership to dictate your staff. It's one thing for the FO to request that a new HC at least consider some remaining staff or to interview them but to demand it is bad business.

On the flip side if McCoy is running his mouth about it that's even worse business. He needs to be careful you don't want to get the reputation as a loose lipped wild card type. He should just say "congrats to Philben, I'm disapointed but I know there will be more opportunities for me in the future".

I don't consider what McCoy said as running his mouth. Criticizing them would be running his mouth. Speculating that he didn't get hired because he didn't want to be forced hire a particular coach isn't disrespectful nor is speaking out of turn necessarily.

TimHippo
01-22-2012, 11:54 PM

I think what it came down to is that Philbin gives them the inside trace with Flynn. So you get a 2 for 1 deal which is especially important since they don't have a QB and they draft 9th.

PAINTERDAVE
01-23-2012, 04:22 AM
I think what it came down to is that Philbin gives them the inside trace with Flynn. So you get a 2 for 1 deal which is especially important since they don't have a QB and they draft 9th.

Very good hypothesis...

Traveler
01-23-2012, 09:36 AM

I think McCoy might have overplayed his hand by talking pubically if he was bring led to believe he was the front-runner for the job. If the Bowles situation truly is the reason he didn't get the job, I find that to be a little hypocritical on McCoy part.

Can't remember where I read it, but when Fox became HC, there was speculation that a condition of him becoming our HC was to keep most of the offensive coaches. McCoy being a primary beneficiary of that stipulation.

It is fair that for most new HC's would want to bring in their own people. Having said that, if not for the labor impasse this past offseason, McCoy probably wouldn't even be interviewing for HC jobs if Fox was able to bring in his own people.

nevcraw
01-23-2012, 09:46 AM
This whole thing shows how Miami is a bit of Redskins(pre-shanny) south... lot's meddlesome figureheads.. McCCoy maybe better off -- if he can help TT and the rest of the offense become more consistant and more varied playcalling he will have his pick of jobs next year..

TXBRONC
01-23-2012, 10:14 AM
I think McCoy might have overplayed his hand by talking pubically if he was bring led to believe he was the front-runner for the job. If the Bowles situation truly is the reason he didn't get the job, I find that to be a little hypocritical on McCoy part.

Can't remember where I read it, but when Fox became HC, there was speculation that a condition of him becoming our HC was to keep most of the offensive coaches. McCoy being a primary beneficiary of that stipulation.

It is fair that for most new HC's would want to bring in their own people. Having said that, if not for the labor impasse this past offseason, McCoy probably wouldn't even be interviewing for HC jobs if Fox was able to bring in his own people.

Where did you here that one of the stipulations for Fox to be hired was that he had to keep most of the offensive staff together because I've never read anywhere Fox was forced keep them? I remember it being wrote that he would get set staff. I can't see Elway pulling an Al Davis coming off of a 4-12 season and I can't Fox going along with considered he end up hamstrung in Carolina.

McCoy is one of Fox's own people. Before coming to Denver he worked for Fox for eight years in Carolina. I think that more than qualifies McCoy as one of Fox's own people. Anyway Fox keeping the offensive staff intact was a pragmatic move and even if he had decided to weed out the staff I would bet that McCoy would ended up staying away given that he worked for Fox almost a decade before coming to Denver. Besides that I've heard that Fox is fiercely loyal.

TXBRONC
01-23-2012, 10:18 AM
This whole thing shows how Miami is a bit of Redskins(pre-shanny) south... lot's meddlesome figureheads.. McCCoy maybe better off -- if he can help TT and the rest of the offense become more consistant and more varied playcalling he will have his pick of jobs next year..

I think that will coupled with winning if Denver takes a step back next season even if Tebow improves he might not be such a hot commodity.

nevcraw
01-23-2012, 06:03 PM
I think that will coupled with winning if Denver takes a step back next season even if Tebow improves he might not be such a hot commodity.

agreed.. but if he is able to accomplish what i mentioned I think winning will be attached..