PDA

View Full Version : Broncos will give quarterback Adam Weber a good look in offseason workouts

Denver Native (Carol)
01-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Today's question comes from Rob Ridley in Grand Junction:

Q: There is a lot of speculation about Tim Tebow and his backup or replacement for next year. From the little we saw of Adam Weber in preseason, he didn't look too bad. There have been some good quarterbacks hidden in the second and third spots that, when given a chance, surprised some teams. What is your assessment of Weber?

A: Rob, the Broncos thought enough of him to quickly sign him to a "futures" contract following the end of the season with Saturday night's loss to the Patriots.

good article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19786154

silkamilkamonico
01-21-2012, 12:19 AM
lmao

this is where its come to in denver?

adam fn webber?

oh my how the mighty have fallen.

to think we have gone from elway, to plunger, to cutler, to orton, to tebow, to now weber, is a complete joke.

igoe4broncos
01-21-2012, 12:54 AM
lol

hamrob
01-21-2012, 01:00 AM
lmao

adam fn webber?

to think we have gone from elway, to plunger, to cutler, to orton, to tebow, to now weber, is a complete joke.What a bunch of whiners!

Weber is a damn good prospect. The NFL today is...what can you do for me today. The problem is...these kids can't do jack shit today. They need at least 3-4 years to develop at this level.

That's why people give up on guys like Alex Smith. Hell Tebow's first 2yrs of play are better than Elways' first two years of play.

But...out come the Whiners...Whine, Whine, Whine!

Weber was a 50 game starter at Minnesota, and chucked the ball around up there...to who else...Eric Decker. He's a damn good prospect...we got a steal with him...and the front office knows it.

Oh, hey Whiner....are you missing Kyle Orton....who do you propose we go get....RGIII. What a ******* joke!!!

bcbronc
01-21-2012, 01:48 AM
hamrob angry.

If Weber is going to be around as more than just a PS arm, then it probably doesn't make sense to draft a QB. Tebow-Weber-Rook is too high risk for my taste. There has to be a vet, preferably one that can still compete for a starting spot, in the mix.

So imo EFX is going to give next season to see how much progress is made in Tebow and to a lesser extent Weber, and then aggressively draft one in 2013 if needed.

Makes sense on a few levels, not the least of which is one less QB controversy. If Elway drafts someone in the 2nd or 3rd round it will be a media-created distraction at some point.

VonSackemMiller
01-21-2012, 02:57 AM
Okay so if were serious about Weber then we will be signing a free agent veteran QB. Say bye bye to the idea of drafting a QB. Weber vs Tebow here it goes lol.

tomjonesrocks
01-21-2012, 03:44 AM
lmao

adam fn webber?

to think we have gone from elway, to plunger, to cutler, to orton, to tebow, to now weber, is a complete joke.

Where does it say Denver will be "going with" Weber?

And I am not embarrassed they "Went with" Cutler. I am embarrassed they traded him away the way they did.

Orton to Tebow won games.

And "how the mighty have fallen" is SO 2010.

TXBRONC
01-21-2012, 08:51 AM
lmao

adam fn webber?

You make it sound like they have made him the starting quarterback. All they're doing is giving him a closer look. It doesn't mean anything more than that.

Chef Zambini
01-21-2012, 10:24 AM
give him a good look?
are they giving him a haircut , facial and manicure?
FANS SEEM HAPPY, WHY SPEND MONEY?

SM19
01-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Okay so if were serious about Weber then we will be signing a free agent veteran QB. Say bye bye to the idea of drafting a QB. Weber vs Tebow here it goes lol.

You're right, there's absolutely no way we'll go into the preseason with more than three quarterbacks on the roster.

Nomad
01-21-2012, 11:22 AM
I don't see where it's going to hurt the team :whoknows:. I hope the kid does great.

Shazam!
01-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Could see Delhomme coming in as a backup and mentor to Tebow and the other young QBs. can be had on the cheap too.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-21-2012, 11:44 AM
What a bunch of whiners!

Weber is a damn good prospect. The NFL today is...what can you do for me today. The problem is...these kids can't do jack shit today. They need at least 3-4 years to develop at this level.

That's why people give up on guys like Alex Smith. Hell Tebow's first 2yrs of play are better than Elways' first two years of play.

Weber was a 50 game starter at Minnesota, and chucked the ball around up there...to who else...Eric Decker. He's a damn good prospect...we got a steal with him...and the front office knows it.

Oh, hey Whiner....are you missing Kyle Orton....who do you propose we go get....RGIII. What a ******* joke!!!

Totally agree - it makes sense to keep someone on the roster who knows the system.

from article -

As a prospect, Weber was one of the biggest snubs by the NFL scouting combine a year ago. He was not among the 18 quarterbacks who were invited despite his impressive collegiate résumé.

In his career at Minnesota, he was just the fifth quarterback in Big Ten history to throw for at least 10,000 yards, and he started a Big Ten-record 50 consecutive games. His 11,603 yards of total offense is second all time in conference history.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19786154

silkamilkamonico
01-21-2012, 12:28 PM
thank god i have to learn how to read better.

i was under the assumption that denver was going to give weber a chance to play in denver in the future.

because if they were, its shaping up to be a caroline fox type qb backfield. shitty.

and lmao to whomever said weber was a good prospect. what a joke. thats why he wasnt drafted im assuming.

the knowledge if a good nfl qb has slipped considerably here in the denver fanbase.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-21-2012, 12:46 PM
lmao

adam fn webber?

Is it possible that New England fans said the EXACT same thing about Tom Brady about a decade ago?

BroncoWave
01-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Is it possible that New England fans said the EXACT same thing about Tom Brady about a decade ago?

For every Brady there are at least 100 6th round to undrafted guys who never see a snap in the NFL.

silkamilkamonico
01-21-2012, 01:10 PM

For every Brady there are at least 100 6th round to undrafted guys who never see a snap in the NFL.

logic is helpful at times thank you.

i understand the brady comparisons. but like b2b said, if you're using an argument that has less than a 1% chance of working out, ill take that bet and 99 times it.

silkamilkamonico
01-21-2012, 01:21 PM

Kyle Orton sucked in Denver if you werent paying attention. And you obviously don't follow college football. Would you like to create an argument for Timmy Chang or Graham Harrell as well?

Weber sucks. I had the displeasure of having to watch almost every game of his throughout his career. He had a low ceiling in college, started as a freshmen in Brewsters first year there, played in 2 different systems because he couldn't be successful in Brewsters initial desire to throw the ball in the spread, and he lost to everyone, including FCS teams.

We have a young prospect in Tebow. We can draft someone in the 7th round of the draft in April that will be better than Weber. We can add a veteran in free agency to soidify the backup position.

"Good prospect"? Lmao The guys was overlooked by 32 teams 6x through for a reason.

broncobryce
01-21-2012, 01:30 PM
thank god i have to learn how to read better.

i was under the assumption that denver was going to give weber a chance to play in denver in the future.

because if they were, its shaping up to be a caroline fox type qb backfield. shitty.

and lmao to whomever said weber was a good prospect. what a joke. thats why he wasnt drafted im assuming.

the knowledge if a good nfl qb has slipped considerably here in the denver fanbase.

I suspect they are "getting a better look" because they need to decide if they need to cut bait, or keep him as practice squad/3rd string.

But I agree it baffles me when some fall in love with the 3rd stringer, like Bradlee Van Pelt who was horrible yet some acted like he could be the second coming of Elway.

I just don't get what they see in these guys.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-21-2012, 01:36 PM
If Weber was so bad in college, how did he accomplish the following :confused:

In his career at Minnesota, he was just the fifth quarterback in Big Ten history to throw for at least 10,000 yards, and he started a Big Ten-record 50 consecutive games. His 11,603 yards of total offense is second all time in conference history.

silkamilkamonico
01-21-2012, 02:11 PM

Durability. He started there since he was a freshmen, and played the majority of his time there in a pass happy offense.

How many NFL talents in Big 10 play every game in their 4 year career?

I am exaggerating. He wasn't a bad QB in college. Maybe slightly below average.

Here are some of his other college highlights.

- 17-33 as a collegiate starter
- 3-9 as a senior, when his recruiting class, which was ranked in the top 25, were all senior upperclassmen "leaders"
- 0 bowl wins
- 2-2 vs FCS teams

Certainly not things an NFL team looks for. He is a poor version of Todd Riesling.

TXBRONC
01-21-2012, 02:31 PM

Tebow in three seasons as a full time starter at Florida and one as a part timer put up over 9,000 yards passing. Even in the college ranks they are throwing the ball a lot couple that with college teams playing 11 games or more per year.

I'm not trying to get dirt on Weber's collegiate success I'm just saying it's uncommon given how even the college game has changed. What I take from his college success is that he good enough to start for multiple season (at least three), his coach trusted him enough to throw the ball quite a bit, and he was durable.

TXBRONC
01-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Durability. He started there since he was a freshmen, and played the majority of his time there in a pass happy offense.

How many NFL talents in Big 10 play every game in their 4 year career?

I am exaggerating. He wasn't a bad QB in college. Maybe slightly below average.

Here are some of his other college highlights.

- 17-33 as a collegiate starter
- 3-9 as a senior, when his recruiting class, which was ranked in the top 25, were all senior upperclassmen "leaders"
- 0 bowl wins
- 2-2 vs FCS teams

Certainly not things an NFL team looks for. He is a poor version of Todd Riesling.

I also think it's fair to rememeber he played at Minnesota. They don't attract a lot of blue chip talent.

yuhateme80
01-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Weber outplayed tebow during offseason last yr

TXBRONC
01-21-2012, 04:15 PM

I know that someone in the organization said he was viewed as the four best quarterback on the roster but I think that's bunk.

tomjonesrocks
01-21-2012, 04:15 PM

Yeah, I am over this BS. Because Brady or Romo or whatever worked out you should draft all your QBs in the 7th round?

Good luck with that.

SmilinAssasSin27
01-21-2012, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I am over this BS. Because Brady or Romo or whatever worked out you should draft all your QBs in the 7th round?

Good luck with that.

Nooo...my post was based on an opinion that gives Weber ZERO chance and shouldn't even be bothered with. I'm not predicting he becomes elite, but why not give him a look? He's already with us.

TXBRONC
01-21-2012, 04:21 PM

Good luck with that.

It's tough to make it in the NFL regardless of what round a player is taken in. I like Denver's new philosophy take the best player available regardless of round. That's what teams like Pittsburgh and Green Bay year in and year out.

silkamilkamonico
01-21-2012, 04:44 PM

Bruce Gradkowski outplays every QB in the NFL in preseason.

sneakers
01-22-2012, 01:07 AM
Could see Delhomme coming in as a backup and mentor to Tebow and the other young QBs. can be had on the cheap too.

http://hotimg23.fotki.com/a/192_251/125_40/nononono-cat-o.gif

elsid13
01-22-2012, 09:05 AM
They are going to draft a QB because their is a need. Weber is going to get a long look to see if he is the answer to the back-up spot or they need a veteran QB to come in. Weber at best projects as solid #2 QB in the league, but the odds are against him in every seeing long term success in the NFL.

Dzone
01-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Heres a good Weber video. Had a great college career. Lets give him a chance to compete.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIHeVes33og&feature=fvst

Chef Zambini
01-22-2012, 10:05 AM
kellen moore, please god, help us out here.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-22-2012, 10:27 AM
He was an UDFA who is playing for league minimum. Of course we're going to look at him in the offseason. I would hope we're going to look at all of our players in the offseason. Right now, we have 2 QBs under contract. We will probably bring in at least 2 QBs (a FA, and probably draft one, too). If Tebow can't develop into the guy that Elway wants him to be (not saying he can't, I have faith he will) then the QB job will be up for grabs. Tebow will get the nod going into camp to practice with the first team, but if the improvement they're hoping for isn't there it won't last long.

As for the whole "he would've been drafted if he was any good", we all know that's bunk. Scouts and teams miss on players all the time. For crying out loud, we had an UDFA play BETTER than all but maybe 2 of our draft picks this past year (hello, Chris Harris). In seeing how he played last year, he played like he should've been a 2nd round draft pick and I wouldn't have been upset had we spent one on him knowing what I know now. He's the best CB we've actually "drafted" (even though he wasn't actually drafted, I count UDFAs as part of that process) since probably D-Will.

Sure, Weber will come in and compete. The Broncos will take a hard look at him to see if he is good enough to make the final roster in the fall. Big deal. Nobody is hyping him up to be our next starting QB. The overreaction on this tidbit of info is shocking. We won't be going into camp with just Tebow and Weber on the roster... :tsk:

Slick
01-22-2012, 10:38 AM
I wouldn't get too worked up about this guys.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

BroncoJoe
01-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Good grief. You guys will look for anything to argue about.

TXBRONC
01-22-2012, 02:53 PM
He was an UDFA who is playing for league minimum. Of course we're going to look at him in the offseason. I would hope we're going to look at all of our players in the offseason. Right now, we have 2 QBs under contract. We will probably bring in at least 2 QBs (a FA, and probably draft one, too). If Tebow can't develop into the guy that Elway wants him to be (not saying he can't, I have faith he will) then the QB job will be up for grabs. Tebow will get the nod going into camp to practice with the first team, but if the improvement they're hoping for isn't there it won't last long.

As for the whole "he would've been drafted if he was any good", we all know that's bunk. Scouts and teams miss on players all the time. For crying out loud, we had an UDFA play BETTER than all but maybe 2 of our draft picks this past year (hello, Chris Harris). In seeing how he played last year, he played like he should've been a 2nd round draft pick and I wouldn't have been upset had we spent one on him knowing what I know now. He's the best CB we've actually "drafted" (even though he wasn't actually drafted, I count UDFAs as part of that process) since probably D-Will.

Sure, Weber will come in and compete. The Broncos will take a hard look at him to see if he is good enough to make the final roster in the fall. Big deal. Nobody is hyping him up to be our next starting QB. The overreaction on this tidbit of info is shocking. We won't be going into camp with just Tebow and Weber on the roster... :tsk:

I wouldn't get too worked up about this guys.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Good grief. You guys will look for anything to argue about.

It really isn't a big deal.

Like HP said EFX will not go into camp with only those two quarterbacks on the roster and it doesn't mean they expect to compete for the starters role. What Weber brings to the table is a year of experience in this system which is more any other quarterback they will bring in will have.

If Weber came and proved himself to be competent back up what's wrong with that?

bcbronc
01-22-2012, 04:03 PM
We will probably bring in at least 2 QBs (a FA, and probably draft one, too).

Hard for me to believe we'd go into next season with Tebow-Weber-Draft pick as our QBs. We need to have a vet in the mix, if for no other reason than someone for Tebow to lean on. Unless someone falls to the point he's value you can't refuse, I don't think we'll draft a QB.

Add the best vet we can in FA, add another UDFA to compete with Weber and use this season's picks to build the rest of the team. I don't want what happened to Carolina to happen to us (use a 2nd one year and a 1st the next on the QB position).

Of course this is void if EFX doesn't have real confidence in both Tebow and Weber.

buffsroam
01-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Rod Smith was not drafted iirc. He turned out pretty good.

I had a chance to see a lot of training camp since I was working in the area. Weber is a good QB. Everybody here has demonized the othe QB's on the roster. Orton was bashed first. When the Brady Q rumor started, he was bashed. Now you start on Weber. Get over your crush fot TT.

VonSackemMiller
01-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Did somebody say Kellen Moore? Lol we might aswell bring in timmy chang he slung it aswell as moore did in a weak conferance/pass happy offense.