PDA

View Full Version : McCoy not going to Miami

Zweems56
01-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Per schefter

Filed to ESPN: Miami plans to hire Joe Philbin as its head coach

Your feelings about keeping McCoy for next year?

RebelRocker
01-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Per schefter

I just heard that on the Drive. Damn

chazoe60
01-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Bummer. Oh well maybe as Tebow improves so will McCoy. No matter who our QB is next season I am going to get seriously pissed with every run, run, go routes, punt drive.

NightTerror218
01-20-2012, 06:32 PM
HMMM

well time for him to learn how to calls plays better IMO, less predictability.....OC camp?

hamrob
01-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Do they make him Asst. HC Offense and then make Gase O-Coordinator...and still sign the guy from CU to be Tebow's QB coach??

Traveler
01-20-2012, 06:46 PM
If he isn't selected, time for EFX to put a stop to future interviews this offseason. Refocus on the needs of this team and how best to accomplish that goal.

Seems as though it's getting to the point where McCoy doesn't actually want to be here.

Magnificent Seven
01-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Then... Welcome him back.

NightTerror218
01-20-2012, 06:49 PM
He might contact Oakland for that interview, to me it seemed like he really wanted to Miami gig

RebelRocker
01-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Bummer. Oh well maybe as Tebow improves so will McCoy. No matter who our QB is next season I am going to get seriously pissed with every run, run, go routes, punt drive.

Who knows, Tampa Bay or Indy may still be interested. Also, isn't his contract up now with us?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Per schefter

If this is true - I am perfectly ok with it

NightTerror218
01-20-2012, 06:51 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7485177/source-miami-dolphins-plan-hire-joe-philbin-next-coach

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/01/20/joe-philbin-beats-out-mike-mccoy-for-dolphins-job/11974/

broncobryce
01-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Guess he didn't wow them enough. Continuity is good, though I wouldn't have hated to see him go.

Joel
01-20-2012, 07:12 PM
Gee, our OC or GBs; that must've been a really tough call. :tongue:

I'm honestly not sure how to feel about this, even now. My gut still says as long as Fox is in Denver it doesn't really matter where McCoy does or doesn't go. And that Foxs contract is for 3 years (2 now.) That's time enough to build develop a young team into contenders (something for which Fox became known in Carolina,) but probably not time enough to win a title with it (for which Fox has never been known.) ;)

rationalfan
01-20-2012, 07:14 PM
If he isn't selected, time for EFX to put a stop to future interviews this offseason. Refocus on the needs of this team and how best to accomplish that goal.

Seems as though it's getting to the point where McCoy doesn't actually want to be here.

really? you're interpreting a guy trying to fulfill his (assumed) dream of being a head coach in the NFL and to increase his salary almost exponentially as someone who doesn't want to be part of the broncos?

kind of twisted, in my opinion.

MOtorboat
01-20-2012, 07:15 PM
He did a lot with a young offense. I hope he stays in town, because it will help this team next year and in the long run.

Slick
01-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Agreed Mo. I am one of the few who hoped he'd stay.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Jsteve01
01-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Ok I'm repeating myself here but I really think McCoy just like anyone else will grow into his position. Devising game plans is one thing. Revising them on the fly and calling plays is totally different if you haven't done it. Im willing to give him a chance to grow before I write him off.

Lancane
01-20-2012, 07:29 PM
I guess I still hope that the Broncos and McCoy part company, and again it's not because I hate the man...it's just we need offensive coaches who're students of the game and experienced in all facets and especially regarding the development of players. That's something Denver lacks across the board offensively, we have no innovative coaches with solid experience - experience in the NFL, yes...but solid and proven experience? Not so much.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't slightly concerned and disappointed that Elway hasn't been diligent regarding the offensive side of the ball.

And if McCoy does remain, I can only hope to God that he can help Tebow develop instead of burdening the matter and as such is then forced to once again use the freaking option as the base offense, because that only sets this team back further, especially regarding the offense.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-20-2012, 07:30 PM

I don't think it is that McCoy does not want to be here. I would think 99.9% of all assistant coaches' dream is to be a HC.

NightTerror218
01-20-2012, 07:32 PM
I guess I still hope that the Broncos and McCoy part company, and again it's not because I hate the man...it's just we need offensive coaches who're students of the game and experienced in all facets and especially regarding the development of players. That's something Denver lacks across the board offensively, we have no innovative coaches with solid experience - experience in the NFL, yes...but solid and proven experience? Not so much.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't slightly concerned and disappointed that Elway hasn't been diligent regarding the offensive side of the ball.

And if McCoy does remain, I can only hope to God that he can help Tebow develop instead of burdening the matter and as such is then forced to once again use the freaking option as the base offense, because that only sets this team back further, especially regarding the offense.

I can not agree more. I hope that McCoy changes our base defense to something that will challenge Tebow and make him improve in those areas. He was not helping Tebow by avoiding certain passes or not letting him fall on his face enough. I think young QBs need to fall onto face to learn what they need to work on. "Catering to his talents" ment restricting the offense does not help him learn and get better. It promotes him being comfortable where he is and doing the same thing.

MOtorboat
01-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Ok I'm repeating myself here but I really think McCoy just like anyone else will grow into his position. Devising game plans is one thing. Revising them on the fly and calling plays is totally different if you haven't done it. Im willing to give him a chance to grow before I write him off.

He'll also get an entire offseason to come up with a more comprehensive gameplan. In week 4.5 he was given a raw, raw quarterback. In weeks 6 and 7 he tried to run a conventional offense with a young quarterback. In week 8 he tried to completely revamp an offensive scheme in one week. Teams don't do that. That, along with the quarterback's limited knowledge of the play book and limited ability coupled with struggling wide receivers and an inconsistent offensive line, led to the conservative play calling.

Coaches play percentages. If you have less than a 50 percent chance to complete a pass on first down, but your run game is averaging more than 4 runs a carry, what's the more sure course of action. It's the run. And that's what he did, until he had to open it up. Frustrating as it may seem, that's the truth. The run game was more likely to get four yards than the pass game was to get 7 (I believe the average pass play length in the NFL).

Denver Native (Carol)
01-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Philbin could look to bring Packers quarterbacks coach Tom Clements along with him as offensive coordinator, sources told La Canfora. Clements is a candidate with Tampa Bay and interviewed with the Bucs on Thursday.

The Dolphins, long in need of a franchise quarterback and looking for help on offense, are intrigued by Packers backup Matt Flynn, who is close with Philbin and obviously fits his system, source told La Canfora.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8262be6e/article/dolphins-will-hire-packers-oc-philbin-to-be-next-head-coach?module=HP11_breaking_news

RebelRocker
01-20-2012, 07:35 PM
Gee, our OC or GBs; that must've been a really tough call. :tongue:

I'm honestly not sure how to feel about this, even now. My gut still says as long as Fox is in Denver it doesn't really matter where McCoy does or doesn't go. And that Foxs contract is for 3 years (2 now.) That's time enough to build develop a young team into contenders (something for which Fox became known in Carolina,) but probably not time enough to win a title with it (for which Fox has never been known.) ;)

Actually, he signed a 4 year deal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Fox_(American_football)

NightTerror218
01-20-2012, 07:35 PM
Philbin could look to bring Packers quarterbacks coach Tom Clements along with him as offensive coordinator, sources told La Canfora. Clements is a candidate with Tampa Bay and interviewed with the Bucs on Thursday.

The Dolphins, long in need of a franchise quarterback and looking for help on offense, are intrigued by Packers backup Matt Flynn, who is close with Philbin and obviously fits his system, source told La Canfora.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8262be6e/article/dolphins-will-hire-packers-oc-philbin-to-be-next-head-coach?module=HP11_breaking_news

wow, would be great for Miami. They have a hole at QB, bring Flynn and draft a new one to ride the pine and learn.

bcbronc
01-20-2012, 07:38 PM
I'm glad McCoy is staying, but I would have been just as glad to see him go.

chazoe60
01-20-2012, 07:40 PM
I think he's really good Mon-Sat but his playcalling on gameday is horrid. Run, run, deep routes by all is a terrible way to call games and McCoy did it constantly. I'm okay with him staying for continuity's sake but I really hope he gets better at playcalling. I do commend him greatly for adapting to different style part way through the season but damn it's frustrating watching the "punt is a good play" philosophy of offense.

bcbronc
01-20-2012, 07:43 PM
I think he's really good Mon-Sat but his playcalling on gameday is horrid. Run, run, deep routes by all is a terrible way to call games and McCoy did it constantly. I'm okay with him staying for continuity's sake but I really hope he gets better at playcalling. I do commend him greatly for adapting to different style part way through the season but damn it's frustrating watching the "punt is a good play" philosophy of offense.

Well chazo, it ain't going anywhere so the sooner you come to grips with it, the less the rest of us will have to read you whining about it. :D

Poet
01-20-2012, 07:43 PM
You can't blast a guy who wanting to get a better job and fulfill his dream.

You also do not want a GM who won't let someone look for a better job. Why would an up-and-coming coach want to ever work for you if you hamstring him? That's bad business for both ends.

Joel
01-20-2012, 07:51 PM
Actually, he signed a 4 year deal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Fox_(American_football)
I stand corrected, sorry; was sure I'd read it was 3. Maybe what I saw just said he had 3 years LEFT and I READ it as "3 year contract."

I agree with MO though; our offensive woes this year can't be laid entirely at McCoys feet given all the obstacles he faced and the shake up and uncertainty he had to deal with 5 games into the season.

MOtorboat
01-20-2012, 07:56 PM

There are OBVIOUS, OBVIOUS reasons why the playcalling was that conservative. And it's not McCoy's fault.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Coaches talk about implementing a system to fit their personnel.

Mike McCoy is the rare NFL offensive coordinator who had the gumption to do it.

The success of the Broncos' read-option option offense with quarterback Tim Tebow helped make McCoy a finalist for the Miami Dolphins' head coaching position.

rest of article - http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19786299

Broncos Mtnman
01-20-2012, 08:15 PM
Get ready for another season of Dan Reeves 2.0

run... run... pass (unless it's 3 and long, then run again)... punt!!

Slick
01-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Tebow is going to have to learn how to take a 3,5 and 7 step drop, pick a target and deliver the ball.

the sandlot plays are fine once in a while, but those are the things he will need to work on with McCoy.

We saw him do it very little this year. He needs to be able to do that consistently, not just once or twice a game. I sure can't blame that on McCoy.

NightTerror218
01-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Tebow is going to have to learn how to take a 3,5 and 7 step drop, pick a target and deliver the ball.

the sandlot plays are fine once in a while, but those are the things he will need to work on with McCoy.

We saw him do it very little this year. He needs to be able to do that consistently, not just once or twice a game. I sure can't blame that on McCoy.

the 3, ,5 ,7 drops help. But he does not have to do them all the time. Several teams operate out of the shot gun.

MOtorboat
01-20-2012, 08:42 PM
the 3, ,5 ,7 drops help. But he does not have to do them all the time. Several teams operate out of the shot gun.

Same mechanics apply.

MOtorboat
01-20-2012, 08:45 PM

There's not a scheme in the world that can compensate for bad footwork and the inability to read a defense in 2 seconds.

NightTerror218
01-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Same mechanics apply.

Same footwork but not the actual drops.

Slick
01-20-2012, 09:04 PM
There's not a scheme in the world that can compensate for bad footwork and the inability to read a defense in 2 seconds.

They have a lot of work to do. A lot.

And phidelt, you are right about the shotgun, but my point still stands about the sand lot plays. Take the snap, read the defense, and make a quick timely throw. Tim would be well served to watch the tape of his last game... Brady was in the shotgun a lot, but he made decisive throws without holding on to the ball forever.

VonSackemMiller
01-20-2012, 09:31 PM
kind of disappointed he will be back, however im glad hes back and hes the guy because id rather have him than adam gase. but really im came to face reality, no matter who our OC is we will be playing fox ball which is run run run punt, run run option punt, run run pass punt. so it really doesnt matter.

broncobryce
01-20-2012, 10:09 PM
They have a lot of work to do. A lot.

And phidelt, you are right about the shotgun, but my point still stands about the sand lot plays. Take the snap, read the defense, and make a quick timely throw. Tim would be well served to watch the tape of his last game... Brady was in the shotgun a lot, but he made decisive throws without holding on to the ball forever.

Agreed. But keep in mind Brady's got WAY better weapons, coaches, and has been in that offense for years.

He's got a lot of work to do this offseason to be certain.

chazoe60
01-20-2012, 10:12 PM
I completely agree Slick. Tebow needs to trust himself and his reads more. He needs to learn to anticipate (if that can indeed be taught or learned) better. No doubt.

McCoy needs to learn the art of the screen, the slant, and a multitude of other things. McCoy needs to learn that it is legal to throw the ball on 1st and 2nd down.

I don't care if they didn't trust Tebow. They trusted him enough at the end of the game to call pass plays, they need to trust him enough before we have to make a miracle comeback.

Getting sick of this "it's all Tebow's fault, no, it's all McCoy's fault" shit. The struggles of our offense were clearly a mixture of both just as the successes of our offense especially in crunch time, were a mixture of both.

VonSackemMiller
01-20-2012, 10:29 PM
I really dont think its McCoys fault. I think its john fox fault. even in carolina john fox didnt run screen plays. One of the posters here posted game logs of john fox teams year in and year out drive summary's in carolina and they were run run run punt, run run pass punt, run run run punt, its the same shit here in Denver. This is Fox ball and its not going to stop unless elway steps in and tells Fox to worry about the defense and let the OC do his own thing then well get an idea if its McCoy or not.

tomjonesrocks
01-21-2012, 02:42 AM
Whoops. Looks like I replied to the duplicate thread.

Surprising development--but I am fine with it. I think despite McCoy's apparent flaws and shortcomings a year of continuity has value.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-21-2012, 08:09 AM
As far as I'm concerned, there's a clean slate in Denver. No offseason last year, new players and new coaches in new positions, a scramble drill for FA and TC, and nobody really knowing what this team could do.

McCoy staying on provides continuity and really gives the team an opportunity to take a long, hard look at everything we did this past year and make the necessary changes, fill the required holes in personnel, expand the playbook, and scrap plays that just didn't work, etc.

No matter what people think of McCoy, he was a part of our turnaround this year. He had just as much to do with us making the playoffs and beating the Steelers as anyone else. Tebow didn't do it alone, Miller didn't do it alone, and none of the coaches did it alone. This staff seems to be a pretty tight-knit group and the players seem to respond well to them. Hopefully, we've got the right staff and it's just a matter of bringing in a couple more FA pieces, hitting on some draft picks, and adjusting and gaining experience.

I'm pretty stoked to see what we will do this offseason. I hope the whole team, not just Tebow, will develop and grow with a real offseason and that they can finally stay healthy. NO MORE OFFSEASON INJURIES! Maybe our new strength and conditioning coach will help in that regard.

Nomad
01-21-2012, 08:27 AM
I'll agree with you HP.....let's keep things together and see what happens after another season. I'm really skeptical of McCoy but perhaps after an offseason, everyone can start to gel together. Let's hope they get build a better and more solid team along the way.

TXBRONC
01-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Wow I figured that with a second interview he was getting the job. Anyway while some people are wanted to see him go I not upset that he is staying. There are things I want to see him improve upon but I think in may respect he did a good job given the circumstances.

TXBRONC
01-21-2012, 08:38 AM
He did a lot with a young offense. I hope he stays in town, because it will help this team next year and in the long run.

I thought you didn't like the guy:questionmark:

Nomad
01-21-2012, 08:42 AM
Wow I figured that with a second interview he was getting the job. Anyway while some people are wanted to see him go I not upset that he is staying. There are things I want to see him improve upon but I think in may respect he did a good job given the circumstances.

Some reason, I thought Philbin had the better chance.

TXBRONC
01-21-2012, 08:44 AM
Some reason, I thought Philbin had the better chance.

I didn't know they had interview Philbin. That being the case then yeah he would have better chance at the job.

MOtorboat
01-21-2012, 09:14 AM
I thought you didn't like the guy:questionmark:

McCoy?

I think McCoy has done a fantastic job.

TXBRONC
01-21-2012, 09:19 AM
McCoy?

I think McCoy has done a fantastic job.

I thought you preceived him as a yes man.

MOtorboat
01-21-2012, 09:23 AM
I thought you preceived him as yes man.

You've got the wrong man. :laugh:

Fox is a pretty hands off coach, from what I've read. I think that's why teams want to interview McCoy and Allen, because they know they truly are running their half of the team.

TXBRONC
01-21-2012, 09:31 AM
You've got the wrong man. :laugh:

Fox is a pretty hands off coach, from what I've read. I think that's why teams want to interview McCoy and Allen, because they know they truly are running their half of the team.

My bad sorry. Anyway even if you had it doesn't mean you can't change your mind.

Chef Zambini
01-21-2012, 10:22 AM
It looks like another year where saving money, NOT WINNING will be tyhe top priority. I guess EFX is content with making coin for bowlen and riding the tebow pony wherever it takes them.
I dont expect $$ Fa to be signed or upward movement in the draft. The TEBOW phenomenon allows them to make coin while the fans seem content to be pretenders.

hamrob
01-21-2012, 12:34 PM
It looks like another year where saving money, NOT WINNING will be tyhe top priority. I guess EFX is content with making coin for bowlen and riding the tebow pony wherever it takes them.
I dont expect $$ Fa to be signed or upward movement in the draft. The TEBOW phenomenon allows them to make coin while the fans seem content to be pretenders.Zam...don't forget that they have to hit the minimum cap floor. I think they were at $90m in player salaries last year. This year, the cap min is what?....$125m? They will either have to give big money to the guys we resign...or they'll have no choice but to spend in free agency.

hamrob
01-21-2012, 12:34 PM
O.k....so, we keep McCoy. What about Allen...and news on that front???

MOtorboat
01-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Zam...don't forget that they have to hit the minimum cap floor. I think they were at $90m in player salaries last year. This year, the cap min is what?....$125m? They will either have to give big money to the guys we resign...or they'll have no choice but to spend in free agency.

Doesn't start till 2013:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/30/per-team-spending-minimum-doesnt-apply-until-2013/