PDA

View Full Version : The Latest On Henry

TXBRONC
10-13-2007, 07:10 PM
This article is from today's RMN. (Disclaimer: Author of the thread is not responsible for any self-inflicted wounds or damage to personal property due to duress.)

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_5721614,00.html

Henry gets the official word on failed test
Broncos back likely will appeal ruling

By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News

October 13, 2007

The court case involving running back Travis Henry's possible one- year suspension is still at least three weeks away from a resolution, but the NFL's discipline policy in the matter continues to march on.
League sources confirmed Friday that Henry officially has been informed, in writing, by the league's Management Council that he is in a violation of the league's drug policy. Any player who has a positive test is sent what other players have called a "violation letter."

By league rules, Henry has five days after receiving the letter to then inform the league if he intends to appeal the decision.

Though it isn't known exactly what day Henry received his letter, he likely would have to officially inform the league - also in writing, as per the league's collective bargaining agreement - of his decision to appeal before the end of the upcoming week.

Neither Henry nor Broncos officials, in the team's bye week, could be reached for comment Friday. Last week, Henry said, "The NFL told me not to discuss nothing."

A league spokesman said Friday the league would have no comment on Henry's case because of confidentiality rules in the drug-testing program.

From the league's perspective, Henry's "B" urine sample - players give two samples when tested - would not have to be tested in order for its disciplinary procedures to begin. The testing of the "B" sample is a usual option for the player, but not required in the policy.

Henry filed a lawsuit in Suffolk (N.Y.) County court last month to keep the league from testing his "B" sample. The league got that case moved to federal court in Brooklyn, N.Y., and is trying to get the lawsuit thrown out.

Henry's lawyers are trying to keep the case in state court.

But the league's testing policy shows the player may ask for the "B" sample to be tested - within two days of notification of a positive test from the "A" sample - but that the disciplinary policy, the sources said, is set in motion by the "A" sample.

That is independent of Henry's court case in New York, where Henry is challenging parts of the league's drug policy, including how his "B" sample would be tested. Henry's lawyers and the league's lawyers were informed this week by a federal judge they have two weeks to prepare motions and another week to prepare responses to those motions.

Henry also would be given time to prepare for an appeal hearing with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, or someone Goodell designates to oversee the hearing, so the court case and his appeal hearing with the league could conclude about the same time, near the end of this month or early November.

Henry will be able to practice and play for the Broncos during the court case and appeal process. If he wins his court case, he is expected to keep playing; the league would likely then appeal that ruling.

In his court case, Henry is claiming that the NFL violated its own substance abuse policy by not allowing his experts to be on hand when the urine sample was tested. The NFL, according to the sources, is contending the rules are clear that players can have their own expert present for testing, as stated in the league's CBA, but that the expert cannot be affiliated with a lab or testing service and that the expert Henry wished to use was affiliated with a lab.

Henry is believed to be disputing other aspects of the testing procedures as well. He is expected to argue that the test result showed too low a threshold for Henry to have used illegal drugs himself rather than a positive test that resulted from secondhand inhalation. Henry, sources said, was told he tested positive for marijuana.

But missing a scheduled test, or the presence of one of several designated diuretics in the urine, also can be counted as a positive test.

Because Henry served a four-week, league-imposed suspension in September 2005 while playing for the Tennessee Titans, he would be facing a yearlong suspension this time. Also, already having been suspended once, he was required to be tested up to 10 times a month for a period of two years; that two-year period was scheduled to be up Oct. 1.

If suspended for a year, Henry would be in "Stage 3" of the league's testing program and he could be tested up to 10 times a month for the remainder of his career.

Henry is the league's second-leading rusher this season, with 498 yards.

legwoldj@RockyMountainNews.com or 303-954-2359

DenBronx
10-13-2007, 07:54 PM
here's what i dont understand. if henry was to be free of a 2yr probation on oct 1st then why would he smoke marijuana or even be around it. after oct 1st it would be as if he had never done it according to the league. but this actually helps me believe that henry didnt actually smoke it himself. just a couple of more weeks and hes through with his probation and i just dont see anyone risking 20 mil for something like this.

for now, i'll not pass any judgement as a fan on henry until his case is over. henry does have a case whether some think it or not and he is willing to prove his innocence. what gets me is the reports say that he barely failed the test...so second hand smoke could be possible and this case could get thrown out because the nfl itself seems to have violated its own rules.

gobroncsnv
10-14-2007, 12:02 AM
It doesn't make sense to even be around any of this period, especially when you are on a test regimen like this... I hope Marcus Thomas watches closely.

Joel
10-14-2007, 04:25 AM
It doesn't make sense to even be around any of this period, especially when you are on a test regimen like this... I hope Marcus Thomas watches closely.
That as much as anything is why, if Henrys appeal is unsuccessful, his career is likely over, and his career as a Bronco almost certainly is. What kind of message does it send to guys like Thomas if Shanny tells Henry, essentially, "we knew you'd tested positive in the past before we signed you, and now you've tested positive again, but it's OK; after we start your backup for the NEXT YEAR you can return to the line up like nothing's happened". That is NOT the kind of impression you want to make on a guy who was a "first round talent" but dropped to the third because of a positive drug test. It's also not a good idea in a League where Godell has already said he's going to start holding teams as well as players responsible for repeated misconduct that tarnishes the whole game.

Fact is, if Henrys appeal fails, Shannys hands are pretty much tied, IMHO. What I don't get is the whole "you can have a drug test expert at your drug test, but only if they're not affiliated with a lab". How can you be a drug test expert without any lab affiliation? Are players just supposed to get "experts" in organic chem right out of college, before they join a professional lab, or would even time spent in a college lab disqualify them as well? I mean, really, guys, what's the deal here? It's like prosecutors telling defense attorneys "you can have a ballistics expert present when we check to see if your clients gun is the murder weapon, but ONLY if he's not affiliated with any ballistic labs, and you can have an expert present when we test DNA samples to see if any match the defendant, but only if he's unaffiliated with any medical labs". What, exactly, makes such a person an "expert", owning every season of Law and Order...?

Tned
10-14-2007, 04:39 AM
What I don't get is the whole "you can have a drug test expert at your drug test, but only if they're not affiliated with a lab". How can you be a drug test expert without any lab affiliation? Are players just supposed to get "experts" in organic chem right out of college, before they join a professional lab, or would even time spent in a college lab disqualify them as well? I mean, really, guys, what's the deal here? It's like prosecutors telling defense attorneys "you can have a ballistics expert present when we check to see if your clients gun is the murder weapon, but ONLY if he's not affiliated with any ballistic labs, and you can have an expert present when we test DNA samples to see if any match the defendant, but only if he's unaffiliated with any medical labs". What, exactly, makes such a person an "expert", owning every season of Law and Order...?

As I understand it, the problem is that Samble A was tested at one lab, and the Samble B was to be tested at a second lab. Henry's expert is specifically affiliated with that second lab (I believe he works there). That is the problem. It isn't that the expert is affiliated with any lab, but that he is affiliated with the actual lab that was to test the B sample.

I could be wrong about this, but that is the way it was descrbed in one of the articles.

TXBRONC
10-14-2007, 06:24 PM
As I understand it, the problem is that Samble A was tested at one lab, and the Samble B was to be tested at a second lab. Henry's expert is specifically affiliated with that second lab (I believe he works there). That is the problem. It isn't that the expert is affiliated with any lab, but that he is affiliated with the actual lab that was to test the B sample.

I could be wrong about this, but that is the way it was described in one of the articles.

I heard/read the same thing. It's that Henry's expert is affiliated with the lab that his test was conducted at.

DenBronx
10-15-2007, 12:55 AM
if Henrys appeal is unsuccessful, his career is likely over

im not too sure about that one. even if he was to be banned in the next few weeks he will miss football for one year yes but after that im pretty sure many teams will try and snatch him up.

Tned
10-15-2007, 06:26 AM
im not too sure about that one. even if he was to be banned in the next few weeks he will miss football for one year yes but after that im pretty sure many teams will try and snatch him up.

I agree. Even more so with the 'second hand smoke'/'low levels in test' defense he is presenting. The reality is that even if he admitted to smoking, there would be teams interested in him after the ban, they just might not pay him as much as if it hadn't happened.

TXBRONC
10-15-2007, 12:59 PM
I agree. Even more so with the 'second hand smoke'/'low levels in test' defense he is presenting. The reality is that even if he admitted to smoking, there would be teams interested in him after the ban, they just might not pay him as much as if it hadn't happened.

It's probably safer to say he wont see another big payday once he career would resume.