PDA

View Full Version : Rip Sherer??

underrated29
01-19-2012, 02:23 PM
Ugh who is this guy.

Rumor has it that we are going to promote QB coach adam gase to OC and hire Rip as QB coach.

Since I know little about either of these guys, what are we looking at here?
How is Gase as an OC? Predictable like mike? Imaginative? Conservative?

How about Rip?

Grover
01-19-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm liking Scherer as our QB coach. Not sure about Gase as OC though.

http://www.panthers.com/team/coaches/rip-scherer/5b3b8bed-88e1-47c0-949e-81fc2a7824aa

MOtorboat
01-19-2012, 02:34 PM
Where are you hearing this UR?

chazoe60
01-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Is he related to Rip Torn. "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!"

underrated29
01-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Where are you hearing this UR?

Think it came from Shapiro..? Not sure, sorry man. I can never remember where I see these things, I can only remember what I read.

Traveler
01-19-2012, 02:57 PM
I'm liking Scherer as our QB coach. Not sure about Gase as OC though.

http://www.panthers.com/team/coaches/rip-scherer/5b3b8bed-88e1-47c0-949e-81fc2a7824aa

Isn't this the guy Fox wanted to bring here last year? Or maybe I'm thinking of his former RB Coach.

RebelRocker
01-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Ugh who is this guy.

Rumor has it that we are going to promote QB coach adam gase to OC and hire Rip as QB coach.

How about Rip?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rip_Scherer

Looks like he spent most of his career in college, but he was the Asst HC/QB coach in Cleveland for a few years and with Fox in CAR for two years.

NightTerror218
01-19-2012, 03:38 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rip_Scherer

Looks like he spent most of his career in college, but he was the Asst HC/QB coach in Cleveland for a few years and with Fox in CAR for two years.

he gets around like a Kardashian.

BroncoNut
01-19-2012, 03:40 PM
Very sad, prayers to Sherer and his family

wayninja
01-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Very sad, prayers to Sherer and his family

funny.

BroncoNut
01-19-2012, 04:09 PM
funny.

thank you

Tned
01-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Think it came from Shapiro..? Not sure, sorry man. I can never remember where I see these things, I can only remember what I read.

How about Spano? Brandon Spano mentioned this the other day on his radio show, and wrote about it this morning. Here's a thread about his story: http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1528598

Lancane
01-19-2012, 04:16 PM

Don't ever listen to Shapiro (anymore), he once was a good reporter but now...the man's insider information is usually suspect anymore, not to mention outrageous and without any sustenance whatsoever.

As for Rip Sherer, he only spent one season on Fox's staff, not sure he'd be the ideal candidate, and most of those he's coached have been flops at this level in some way, shape or form. I could see hiring him as the offensive coordinator more then as the quarterback's coach, he's a student of the game with experience in various offenses, and at least in that role he can help Tebow somewhat due to his quarterback experience. As for Adam Gase being promoted, well that's even worse, when you look at the horrendous offenses he's been apart of.

Lancane
01-19-2012, 04:22 PM
How about Spano? Brandon Spano mentioned this the other day on his radio show, and wrote about it this morning. Here's a thread about his story: http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1528598

Thanks Tned, good find. He's being looked at for the Offensive Coordinator position which I'd be fine with, as I've stated before - we need a student of the game in that aspect and he fits the bill. If you ask me, I would be surprised that even if McCoy isn't hired as the HC somewhere else that they still hired Sherer to be the OC/AHC or something to that effect.

underrated29
01-19-2012, 04:58 PM
What about the guy who we interviewed to be a HC last year...Was it the old OL coach dennis allen?

i would much rather have him in here as an OC... He worked with the line so he knows that part of it and he has been a part of shannys team forever so he would also know some of shannys scheme just by watching it. I know I do.

He needs to get his ass down here and apply for OC, if adam gase is really that bad an OC too.

dogfish
01-19-2012, 05:04 PM
What about the guy who we interviewed to be a HC last year...Was it the old OL coach dennis allen?

i would much rather have him in here as an OC... He worked with the line so he knows that part of it and he has been a part of shannys team forever so he would also know some of shannys scheme just by watching it. I know I do.

He needs to get his ass down here and apply for OC, if adam gase is really that bad an OC too.

dennis allen is our defensive coordinator, esse. . . .

:confused:

and dave magazu is our current OL coach-- he never interviewed for OC. . .

you're thinking of skip what's-his-name, the carolina RB coach and asst. head coach. . . skip something, jim skipper, something like that. . .

NightTerror218
01-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Nut is a funny SOB

Being said with lots of love.

EHawbs
01-19-2012, 05:11 PM

I think you are thinking of Rick Dennison. I am pretty sure he is the offensive coordinator for the Texans now. Or the running game coordinator.

underrated29
01-19-2012, 05:12 PM
I think you are thinking of Rick Dennison. I am pretty sure he is the offensive coordinator for the Texans now. Or the running game coordinator.

YES, this guy. Rick Dennison. All these damn Dennis's are confusing me.

Not skippy skip dogfish.

dogfish
01-19-2012, 05:14 PM
ah, dennison. . . he's the assistant head coach of the texans-- not taking a demotion to come back here. . .

Tned
01-19-2012, 05:14 PM
dennis allen is our defensive coordinator, esse. . . .

:confused:

and dave magazu is our current OL coach-- he never interviewed for OC. . .

you're thinking of skip what's-his-name, the carolina RB coach and asst. head coach. . . skip something, jim skipper, something like that. . .

I believe he's thinking of Rick Dennison.

Tned
01-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Oops, when you click reply and then get interrupted at work, you tend to wind up late with your response... lol

underrated29
01-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Oops, when you click reply and then get interrupted at work, you tend to wind up late with your response... lol

happens to me all the time.

VonSackemMiller
01-20-2012, 02:12 AM
Looks like john fox is just going,to hire yes men that wont question his run run draw punt formula. This offense is going to suck and regardless of the qb they will never develope under fox, when did a john fox staff ever develope a qb in carolina?

MOtorboat
01-20-2012, 09:02 AM
Looks like john fox is just going,to hire yes men that wont question his run run draw punt formula. This offense is going to suck and regardless of the qb they will never develope under fox, when did a john fox staff ever develope a qb in carolina?

Setting up th excuses for next season.

Clever.

TXBRONC
01-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Ugh who is this guy.

How about Rip?

According to Brandon Spano it's a very real possibility that Gase moves to offensive coordinator and Sherer would come in as the quarterback coach.

VonSackemMiller
01-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Setting up th excuses for next season.

Clever.

yeah im sure your fine with these moves huh? we have nobody on this staff thats ever developed a qb into something nice and your okay with that. as usual not making sense.

why dont you ever make sense?:confused: an poor qb coach turning OC and a guy whose never developed a QB as the QB coach? lol what a joke.

Jsteve01
01-20-2012, 09:48 AM

Uhm is this a trick question? 2003 Jake DelHomme 3900 yards and 29 TDs qualify?

And Im not concerned about Gase other than the fact that we'll have another rookie play caller.

Jsteve01
01-20-2012, 09:49 AM

maybe they should hire you and bring in Jermichael Finley and all the other impossible moves youve been proposing? ;)

Chef Zambini
01-20-2012, 09:54 AM
someone who can create an imaginative offense from a 2 TE set would be fine with me. We should be a run first offense.
whomever that person may be, I hope we find him.
Tthe QB coach is saddled with the task of molding TT into a pocket passer in just 1 off season!
This has to be the most amazing magician on the planet!
One of those VEGAS dudes I imagine.

VonSackemMiller
01-20-2012, 10:14 AM

And Im not concerned about Gase other than the fact that we'll have another rookie play caller.

Jake Delhomme had one sweet season out of like 10 under john fox and he still threw 16 ints that year. was never able to duplicate that type of winning production. with an average of like 15 ints per year that he played most of the games. that is pathetic and i dont want a jake delhomme type of QB on this team.

Lancane
01-20-2012, 10:28 AM

Not this crap again, I'm telling you the McCoy bio on the Broncos website is not correct. McCoy wasn't promoted to Quarterback's Coach until 2004, he was an offensive assistant in 2003 demoted by John Fox himself. Don't believe me, go to the Panther's Message Boards and ask them even, my cousin lives in Virginia and is an avid Panthers fan, McCoy was the Receiver's Coach in 2001, when John Fox came on board he demoted McCoy to an Offensive Assistant position until 2004 when he was promoted to the Quarterback's Coach position. A year removed from when Delhomme proved himself, under then Dan Henning in both 2002 and 2003 held the title of Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach. Of course, you also forgot to mention that Delhomme was a member of the New Orleans Saints from 97' through 02', off an on with two stints in NFL Europe, while he was with the Saints though he was under Coach Tom Clements who not only helped develop Ben Roethlisberger but also Aaron Rodgers, which is an absolute fact. Not to mention that Mike McCarthy was on that same said staff.

So McCoy developed Jake Delhomme and so did John Fox? That's like crediting Dan Reeves and Chan Gailey for developing John Elway.

silkamilkamonico
01-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Not this crap again, I'm telling you the McCoy bio on the Broncos website is not correct. McCoy wasn't promoted to Quarterback's Coach until 2004, he was an offensive assistant in 2003 demoted by John Fox himself. Don't believe me, go to the Panther's Message Boards and ask them even, my cousin lives in Virginia and is an avid Panthers fan, McCoy was the Receiver's Coach in 2001, when John Fox came on board he demoted McCoy to an Offensive Assistant position until 2004 when he was promoted to the Quarterback's Coach position. A year removed from when Delhomme proved himself, under then Dan Henning in both 2002 and 2003 held the title of Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach. Of course, you also forgot to mention that Delhomme was a member of the New Orleans Saints from 97' through 02', off an on with two stints in NFL Europe, while he was with the Saints though he was under Coach Tom Clements who not only helped develop Ben Roethlisberger but also Aaron Rodgers, which is an absolute fact. Not to mention that Mike McCarthy was on that same said staff.

So McCoy developed Jake Delhomme and so did John Fox? That's like crediting Dan Reeves and Chan Gailey for developing John Elway.

This is correct.

I believe we really need some qualified coaches on the staff from the offensive side of the ball, and I am not sure why a defensive minded coach like Fox, which is ok, doesn't look in that direction and give that person free reign with the offense to an extent.

I'm hoping with Elway on board he is going to expect some of this if our offense continues to remain stagnant and unexplosive. Can't win in the NFL if you don't have an offense.

Lancane
01-20-2012, 11:26 AM
This is correct.

I believe we really need some qualified coaches on the staff from the offensive side of the ball, and I am not sure why a defensive minded coach like Fox, which is ok, doesn't look in that direction and give that person free reign with the offense to an extent.

I'm hoping with Elway on board he is going to expect some of this if our offense continues to remain stagnant and unexplosive. Can't win in the NFL if you don't have an offense.

That was again by far my biggest concern when Denver hired John Fox, I had no qualms with him being a defensive oriented or minded coach. The issues he had with the management in Carolina though stemmed from his continuous lack of attention to the offensive side of the ball, fans were continually up in arms for his disregard for the offense. Conservative offenses and defenses no longer have the same impact in this league. And I for one am surprised that Elway isn't pushing the issue beyond 'Tebow needs to develop into a pocket passing quarterback', and even more surprised he's not raiding the Texans for offensive coaches since he knows the success of the west coast offense.

Simple Jaded
01-20-2012, 05:59 PM
A; l think it's a bit ambitious for message board members question the "insider" sources of a man who has been covering the same team for literally decades. We all have people who know people who know people inside that lockeroom, Shapiro has actually been in that lockeroom as long or longer than anybody in this town. Wonder if it has anything to do with Shapiro's opinion of Tim Tebow.

B; Ya might wanna give Rip Scherer the benefit of the doubt. Is he my choice? Hell no, l'd take a Dennison, Jackson, Clements or Zampese and tell him not to get too attached to the current cast of players. But it seems to me that we're basing the viability of any potential hire based on what it means to one player.......one way below average player.

Predictably Tebow fans will wet their f'ing pants over anything that they perceive as an obstacle to Tim Tebow concurring the entire planet. We all have grand ideas on who should be calling plays for the most overrated player in the NFL but we fail to realize that 99% of the NFL community probably wants no part of coaching Tim Tebow.

Think about it; when the Broncos win it's the all magic of Tim Tebow, he even gets credit for the defense. But when they lose it's everybody but Tim Tebow when in reality the exact opposite is much, much closer to the truth. It's not just the daunting task of coaching and coordinating Tebow, it's also his ridiculously paranoid and miopic fanbase. They waste superbowl tickets to pressure the Broncos into starting their 3rd string QB and then blame the playcalling of the OC when that 3rd string QB looks nothing like an NFL starter, even though the OC isn't even running his system. When a first ballot HoF QB doesn't slobber all over Tebow his fans run to tweeter and the radio talking about conspiracy's about how that HoF QB is jealous of Tim Tebow, even though that HoF QB couldn't possibly have achieved more in his professional and personal life.

Tebow has years of football fundamentals to learn in one offseason. So before we wipe your asses with coaches that are actually willing to take this job l suggest we afford them a chance to prove themselves. And while we're nominating some offensive genius for that job we might wanna consider if that person would actually want that job. For example; Hue Jackson way overpaid for Carson Palmer because he was left with Kyle Boller, ya think he wants any part of having a QB with worse accuracy and less arm strength crammed down his throat?

The only people that think that coaching Tebow is some kind of an honor is Tebow/Gator fans. Denver should just be focusing on what a new OC can accomplish longterm, because what this means to Denver's current QB's is obscenely shortsighted. The question is what a potential OC and QB coach can do with any QB, not just what they can do for Tim Tebow. We're bashing coaches before they're even hired and setting up excuses months before they're even needed.

And all this drama because of a QB that hasn't even established himself as a legitimate NFL starter? The fact that we're even discussing what this means for Tebow shows how galactically overrated he is. This simply isn't your typical situation, if you want Tim Tebow you have to accept the uncertainty that comes with him.

As for Scherer, anybody that isn't a fan of the spread offenses and the QB's they produce can't be all that bad.......

TXBRONC
01-21-2012, 08:54 AM
I guess with McCoy not going to Miami that this puts the kibosh on hiring Sherer

Dzone
01-21-2012, 10:52 AM
I guess with McCoy not going to Miami that this puts the kibosh on hiring Sherer
I know. Unfortunately