PDA

View Full Version : Sandy Clough of the 104.3 The Fan Reported Details of the Discussed Cutler trade

tomjonesrocks
03-03-2009, 09:43 PM
I don't know if it's bad form to relay information from one message board to another, but I happened to read a post by Montrose at the Mane about this--this blew my mind. What he wrote was:

"Now this went down before the Broncos released their statement this afternoon. Anyhow, Sandy cited a "very trustworthy" NFL source that the original deal that the Broncos were discussing was with Detroit and New England, and Tampa jumped in with a proposal after it fell through. He posed a few scenarios but he "reported" the one Denver wanted but New England backed out of at the last second was:

Denver trades Jay Cutler, #48 pick (2nd round) and #79 (3rd round)
Detroit trades #1 pick (1st round) and #20 pick (1st round)
New England trades Matt Cassel

Denver receives Matt Cassel, #1 pick (1st round) and #20 pick (1st round)
Detroit receives Jay Cutler and #79 (3rd round)
New England receives #48 pick (2nd round)

3 #1 picks (including the one they currently have)? That's a hell of a lot more compensation than was reported initially. How much credibility does Clough have?

BroncoWave
03-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Holy shit. That changes a LOT! If this is true, I wouldn't have been too disappointed to have seen that trade go through.

BeefStew25
03-03-2009, 09:48 PM
That would have effed our cap to hell.

BroncoWave
03-03-2009, 09:49 PM

I doubt we'd have used all 3 first rounders. We'd have probably traded one of them for some help on defense. I don't think it would have hurt our cap too badly.

tomjonesrocks
03-03-2009, 09:49 PM

My thought exactly. But still...as some have pointed out over there--show this offer to Jay and he might be a little less pissed. 2 #1s for anyone would make you think for a few hours...and I would have been (and still would be) furious if Jay were traded.

If true...

Drill-N-Fill
03-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Seems tempting. And I would probably pull that deal in any other draft. This year it is just not worth having the number 1 pick (espically if you don't need LT's)

NightTrainLayne
03-03-2009, 09:50 PM
If that is true, then does anyone fault McD for "listening"? Obviously it fell through, but that's not exactly the straight across trade that was originally mentioned.

getlynched47
03-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Clough has no credibility whatsoever........

UnderArmour
03-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Holy crap. We would've had Matt Cassel AND -THREE- #1 picks? Wow. Pass the Curry please.

Simple Jaded
03-03-2009, 09:52 PM
That's actually a more palatable trade, imo, you do not trade a franchise QB for Matt Cassel.

I'd still rather have Cutler, it took over a decade to finally get a QB of Cutler's caliber, it's just not worth it.......

BeefStew25
03-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Holy crap. We would've had Matt Cassel AND -THREE- #1 picks? Wow.

So like $14 mil to Cassell, who knows what to the number one pick, and two other first round picks. Cassell and the first pick alone would be a nice cap hit.

BroncoWave
03-03-2009, 09:53 PM
If that is true, then does anyone fault McD for "listening"? Obviously it fell through, but that's not exactly the straight across trade that was originally mentioned.

I didn't fault him too much in this first place but if true, I think he would have been stupid not to have a least entertained that offer. I love Cutler to death but that is some pretty good compensation.

UnderArmour
03-03-2009, 09:54 PM
So like $14 mil to Cassell, who knows what to the number one pick, and two other first round picks. Cassell and the first pick alone would be a nice cap hit.

You take Curry, you hope Raji falls, and you trade the 3rd first rounder for a #1 next year.

BigDaddyBronco
Awesome potential trade, but I wouldn't want the #1 overall pick this year.

BroncoWave

That's assuming we use all those first round picks. Like I said, we could have used one to either get a stud on D or trade back for some additional 2's or 3's. Plus, you'd also have Cutler's contract coming off the books.

Buff
03-03-2009, 09:56 PM
I'd open mouth kiss Clough if I could... He gets me through rush hour on the turnpike everyday... Dude's only been on the Broncos beat for 30 years. Very reliable.

claymore
03-03-2009, 09:59 PM
I don't know if it's bad form to relay information from one message board to another, but I happened to read a post by Montrose at the Mane about this--this blew my mind. What he wrote was:

"Now this went down before the Broncos released their statement this afternoon. Anyhow, Sandy cited a "very trustworthy" NFL source that the original deal that the Broncos were discussing was with Detroit and New England, and Tampa jumped in with a proposal after it fell through. He posed a few scenarios but he "reported" the one Denver wanted but New England backed out of at the last second was:

3 #1 picks (including the one they currently have)? That's a hell of a lot more compensation than was reported initially. How much credibility does Clough have?
With those picks, do you think we can replace cutler and upgrade another position?

I dont........ And thats the bottom line of trading......... To upgrade your organization.

I havent read a proposed trade that would upgrade us..........

slim
03-03-2009, 09:59 PM
You guys crack me up. Did anyone really think the trade would be Cassel for Cutty straight up?

Not saying this rumor is true, either....but c'mon boys. Think a little.

BeefStew25
03-03-2009, 10:00 PM
That's assuming we use all those first round picks. Like I said, we could have used one to either get a stud on D or trade back for some additional 2's or 3's. Plus, you'd also have Cutler's contract coming off the books.

We aren't trading out of the one spot, and Cassel had better be nails.

slim
03-03-2009, 10:00 PM
With those picks, do you think we can replace cutler and upgrade another position?

I dont........ And thats the bottom line of trading......... To upgrade your organization.

How about cutty for portis?

You wouldn't have clean socks for a month.

BroncoJoe
03-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Clough has no credibility whatsoever........

Aside from his arrogant attitude, he is typically correct in his opinion and/or information.

claymore
03-03-2009, 10:02 PM
So had the Draft picks that came out of it.

Simple Jaded
I'd open mouth kiss Clough if I could... He gets me through rush hour on the turnpike everyday... Dude's only been on the Broncos beat for 30 years. Very reliable.

My high five is not because I'd open mouth kiss Sandy Clough too.......not that there is anything wrong with that.

Clough has plenty of reliable sources, I see no reason to completely dismiss this outright.......

BroncoWave

I said we'd trade one of the #1's. Didn't say it would be the first one.

claymore
03-03-2009, 10:03 PM
How about cutty for portis?

You wouldn't have clean socks for a month.

Thats different...... Champ for anything would be game to me.............. I really dont understand why he wasnt the big trade bait.......?

BroncoJoe
03-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Honestly, it doesn't matter now. The deal didn't go through. What is nice is to know there was a lot more at stake than what was originally reported.

BeefStew25
I said we'd trade one of the #1's. Didn't say it would be the first one.

The first one is the majority of the cap hit.

Tned
who knows what is true, but that makes MUCH more sense than the: Tampa sending 1st and 3rd to NE, Cassel going to Denver and Cutler to TB. Then, NE passing that down for a 2nd round pick for Cassel and Vrable.

Even with McD liking Cassel, I was having trouble buying into the Cassel for Cutler straight up, but I could see something like this being considered.

TXBRONC
03-03-2009, 10:05 PM
I doubt we'd have used all 3 first rounders. We'd have probably traded one of them for some help on defense. I don't think it would have hurt our cap too badly.

We would have had the number one over all pick in the draft out this correct? I think it would have put a serious strain on our cap, because the number one over all pick it is very hard to trade down with that pick.

BroncoJoe

Seriously - why do you care? Are you writing the check?

BroncoWave

But if we'd gotten Curry with that pick and he goes on to be a superstar, then it doesn't matter.

getlynched47
You guys crack me up. Did anyone really think the trade would be Cassel for Cutty straight up?

Not saying this rumor is true, either....but c'mon boys. Think a little.

Actually...everbody believed that this was the case....Cutler to Tampa-Tampa's 1st to New England-New England sends us Cassel...essentially it's Cutler for Cassel

BeefStew25
03-03-2009, 10:06 PM

WHat a dumbass response Joe.

BeefStew25
03-03-2009, 10:06 PM
But if we'd gotten Curry with that pick and he goes on to be a superstar, then it doesn't matter.

And if he is a Robery Gallery type, it does.

BroncoJoe
03-03-2009, 10:07 PM
WHat a dumbass response Joe.

WHatever, Stue. It's a stupid argument.

BroncoWave
03-03-2009, 10:08 PM
And if he is a Robery Gallery type, it does.

And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. Neither of us know how the #1 pick would have turned out. But I think it would have been a risk worth taking.

BeefStew25
WHatever, Stue. It's a stupid argument.

The teams that have the first pick are at such a disadvantage, Joe. Giving a huge amount of money to an unproven player. No one wants the pick. It would be a gift to unload that pick.

slim
Actually...everbody believed that this was the case....Cutler to Tampa-Tampa's 1st to New England-New England sends us Cassel...essentially it's Cutler for Cassel

Well, not everybody.

BeefStew25
03-03-2009, 10:09 PM
And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. Neither of us know how the #1 pick would have turned out. But I think it would have been a risk worth taking.

Okay. I will write that down in my notebook.

BroncoJoe
03-03-2009, 10:13 PM
The teams that have the first pick are at such a disadvantage, Joe. Giving a huge amount of money to an unproven player. No one wants the pick. It would be a gift to unload that pick.

I agree, but if you have it, you HAve it.

As MrsBJ says, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit."

oobehr
03-03-2009, 10:13 PM
If we would have gotten 2 first rounders instead, we should all be commending McDaniels for not taking that trade. It would be too easy to get cassel and 2 1st rounders.

BigDaddyBronco
03-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Unless John Elway or Peyton Manning is sitting there.

BeefStew25
03-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Unless John Elway or Peyton Manning is sitting there.

But do you really know? Really? No. Redo all the drafts in the last 5 years.

claymore
03-03-2009, 10:16 PM
I consider myself an investor. I pour almost as much into Broncos stuff as I do savings. I feel I am an investror, Ive held strong for 25 years etc.......

I care...... I really care........ and I dont know why,.

Thats great, but someone still has to throw the ball.

BigDaddyBronco
03-03-2009, 10:17 PM
But do you really know? Really? No. Redo all the drafts in the last 5 years.
No, I agree. There is usually one sure thing every ten years or so.

Remember everyone jumping on the Texans for not taking the "sure thing" Reggie Bush.

getlynched47
03-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Well, not everybody.

Pretty much everybody....and as much as you'd like to deny it...I'm certain that you believed it at first just like the rest of us.

BeefStew25
03-03-2009, 10:18 PM
No, I agree. There is usually one sure thing every ten years or so.

Remember everyone jumping on the Texans for not taking the "sure thing" Reggie Bush.

Shit even when Peyton was drafted Ryan Leaf wasnt far behind.

Shazam!
03-03-2009, 10:26 PM
The #1 Pick AND the #20, an experienced QB in McDaniels' system is a deal too good not to listen to for any team with a deal on the table like this. If there is any truth to it I hope many of 'McDicks' detractors read this thread.

TXBRONC
03-03-2009, 10:29 PM

I think the potential would exsist to upgrade but there are two catches. One, it immediately sets you further back, because it's going to take time to develop new talent. Two its a huge risk because you're not assured that those picks will develop into legitimate starters in this League.

tomjonesrocks
03-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Pretty much everybody....and as much as you'd like to deny it...I'm certain that you believed it at first just like the rest of us.

What wasn't to believe? Dude brought in a long-snapper we didn't need and made him the second-highest paid player at his position...and what a coincidence--he was a Patriot...

To think he'd take another one of his "boys" in and get fleeced in the process wasn't that unbelievable...

getlynched47
03-03-2009, 10:38 PM
What wasn't to believe? Dude brought in a long-snapper we didn't need and made him the second-highest paid player at his position...and what a coincidence--he was a Patriot...

To think he'd take another one of his "boys" in and get fleeced in the process wasn't that unbelievable...

that's what I'm saying...

the guy I quoted claims that he never believed it...when I know that he did :rolleyes:

I sure as hell believed it....and I was effin pissed when I heard the news.

slim
03-03-2009, 10:39 PM

You think trading a pro-bowl QB with a TON of upside for a career backup is believable? Really?

Look, this is the way every big trade story evolves. First they report the big name guys...then the details (picks, throw-in players, etc) come out. That is the way it has always been.

claymore
03-03-2009, 10:39 PM
I think the potential would exsist to upgrade but there are two catches. One, it immediately sets you further back, because it's going to take time to develop new talent. Two its a huge risk because you're not assured that those picks will develop into legitimate starters in this League.
Seriously if we drafted a talent as good as Cutler its an automatic 3 year investment with a coach who may or may not be there.....

and who else would we draft that upgrades the team enough to justify the trade?

If we didnt draft a QB.... We go with a veteran QB....... Which no one is available to really replace Cutler............

And we have a 1st and a 3rd at best. Seriously...... I cant believe... even if we drafted a HOF LB'er,,,,,, That it would fix the damage of trading Cutler.

I have seen zero scenarios better than keeping Cutler.

slim
03-03-2009, 10:42 PM
that's what I'm saying...

the guy I quoted claims that he never believed it...when I know that he did :rolleyes:

I sure as hell believed it....and I was effin pissed when I heard the news.

You don't know what you are talking about….but welcome to the Forums.

May your urine stream be strong and plentiful.

getlynched47
03-03-2009, 10:46 PM
You don't know what you are talking about….but welcome to the Forums.

May your urine stream be strong and plentiful.

:lol:

yeah I do man.......I'd say 99% of all Bronco fans believed the news of Cutler for Cassel when they first heard it. For goodness sake it was ALL OVER the place...

I'm sure you weren't one of the "blessed ones" that shrugged the news off......

slim
03-03-2009, 10:48 PM

yeah I do man.......I'd say 99% of all Bronco fans believed the news of Cutler for Cassel when they first heard it. For goodness sake it was ALL OVER the place...

I'm sure you weren't one of the "blessed ones" that shrugged the news off......

LOL...Of course I believed there was a trade in works. But I didn't think it would ever be straight up. There is no way that would happen. It just doesn't make any sense.

TXBRONC
03-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Seriously if we drafted a talent as good as Cutler its an automatic 3 year investment with a coach who may or may not be there.....

and who else would we draft that upgrades the team enough to justify the trade?

If we didnt draft a QB.... We go with a veteran QB....... Which no one is available to really replace Cutler............

And we have a 1st and a 3rd at best. Seriously...... I cant believe... even if we drafted a HOF LB'er,,,,,, That it would fix the damage of trading Cutler.

I have seen zero scenarios better than keeping Cutler.

I think if McDaniels had sent Jay packing he has to draft a quarterback this year. He might be able to bring in Simms, I don't know if he be great replacement. Besides that whomever he would bring in outside of Cassel, he would have no choice in teaching them his offense.

silkamilkamonico
03-03-2009, 10:56 PM
You think trading a pro-bowl QB with a TON of upside for a career backup is believable? Really?

No. But Matt Cassel. He's certainly a starting QB in the system McDaniels is running!!

slim
03-03-2009, 11:00 PM
No. But Matt Cassel. He's certainly a starting QB in the system McDaniels is running!!

Yeah, but if you are going to trade a player you will only do so if you get equal value.

So, either Mcjunglebush drools when he eats, or there were other considerations.

Shazam!
03-03-2009, 11:02 PM

If it is true and the deal did go down, who could blame the Broncos for making that deal?

claymore
03-03-2009, 11:02 PM
I think if McDaniels had sent Jay packing he has to draft a quarterback this year. He might be able to bring in Simms, I don't know if he be great replacement. Besides that whomever he would bring in outside of Cassel, he would have no choice in teaching them his offense.

Even if we got Cassel.......... He would have to transform this team. Cassell Is a one hit wonder in my eyes............. But......... to justify the pick, He would have to have.....

26 TD's, 18-19 INT's... have 4527 PYD's, 87.0 pass rating and win nine games with our defense and running game. Which is supposedly upgraded.

silkamilkamonico
03-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Even if we got Cassel.......... He would have to transform this team. Cassell Is a one hit wonder in my eyes............. But......... to justify the pick, He would have to have.....

26 TD's, 18-19 INT's... have 4527 PYD's, 87.0 pass rating and win nine games with our defense and running game. Which is supposedly upgraded.

Well, with all due respect, so was Kurt Warner.

claymore
03-03-2009, 11:07 PM

Please explain, I love warner.

TXBRONC
03-03-2009, 11:08 PM

Yep he's capable of running it in New England with personal he has been around for at least the last two season and a defense that while getting long in tooth is still very good.

TXBRONC
03-03-2009, 11:10 PM

A quarterback with two League MVPs and three Super Bowl appearances is a one hit wonder? :confused:

claymore
03-03-2009, 11:12 PM
A quarterback with two League MVPs and three Super Bowl appearances is a one hit wonder? :confused:

No shit........ LOL

silkamilkamonico
03-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Please explain, I love warner.

I just mean he was a nobody who came out of nowhere and was supposed to be a one hit wonder. Same with Tom Brady.

I thought Steve Young made a great point a few years ago when he talked about, the success of the QB position in the NFL was almost entirely dictated by system, team mentality, and if they have good coaches working with them. Sometimes all it takes is a little confidence, and your most unknown QB's can take off.

tubby
03-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Sandy Clough is pretty much the man.

Koodos to McManchild for almot pulling off the mother load.

slim
03-03-2009, 11:29 PM

You do realize Jake was NOT part of the deal, right?

TXBRONC
03-03-2009, 11:31 PM

Yeah koodos to nearly setting the Broncos back about five years. :2thumbs:

dogfish
03-03-2009, 11:34 PM
I agree, but if you have it, you HAve it.

As MrsBJ says, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit."

okay, but how high are mrs. BJ's standards, really?

uhhhh, nevermind-- just forgot that i said that. . . .

:innocentface:

tubby
03-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Oh, and beef, you don't know shit about the cap so just shut up.

ikillz0mbies
03-03-2009, 11:51 PM
An offer like that rarely comes along. It warrants at the very least, consideration. No one should be considered untouchable if two 1st rounders are being dangled in front of you. With that many 1st rounders, the Broncos would have a lot of flexibility. They can trade for team needs, trade for more picks, trade for next years picks, etc. I would pull the trigger personally.

LoyalSoldier
03-03-2009, 11:54 PM
And if we got Curry and he turned out to be a bust it could be seen as one of the worst trades in NFL history.

slim
03-03-2009, 11:55 PM
And if I drink another six beers I may puke.

Davii
03-04-2009, 12:00 AM
Makes more sense, but I still don't think it's worth it.

Lonestar
03-04-2009, 12:09 AM

Now I have not read any thing past this post so If I repeat something someone else said sorry about that

Does anyone here really think this would not have been a blockbuster trade almost as huge as the Hershel walker trade way back..

A starting QB that knows the system..

#1 ,#12 , #20 pick in the draft... this defense would be instantly fixed.. and for how many years in the future..

At least 2 instant starters maybe as many as four with a few maybe even for rounds 2-4

HOLY CRAP I certainly hope ONE one can debate this would not have been worth a prissy primadonna.

Does anyone wonder why Mc Genius would have listened to this? Why it may have been considered?

If they would I'd have to debate their sanity. if this was true..

BroncoWave
03-04-2009, 12:18 AM
Now I have not read any thing past this post so If I repeat something someone else said sorry about that

Does anyone here really think this would not have been a blockbuster trade almost as huge as the Hershel walker trade way back..

#1 ,#12 , #20 pick in the draft... this defense would be instantly fixed.. and for how many years in the future..

At least 2 instant starters maybe as many as four with a few maybe even for rounds 2-4

HOLY CRAP I certainly hope ONE one can debate this would not have been worth a prissy primadonna.

Does anyone wonder why Mc Genius would have listened to this? Why it may have been considered?

Agreed, you'd have to be an idiot not to at least think about that offer. While it's no guarantee that it would do so, that kind of offer has a chance of pretty much instantly fixing the team if you use the draft picks wisely.

horsepig
03-04-2009, 12:26 AM

For Christ's sake, talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Lonestar
03-04-2009, 12:27 AM
Agreed, you'd have to be an idiot not to at least think about that offer. While it's no guarantee that it would do so, that kind of offer has a chance of pretty much instantly fixing the team if you use the draft picks wisely.

I do not do mock drafts but I could see Raji/curry, a MLB and a DE in the first with maybe another NT in the second..

Crabtree in the first at 12.

We would be in cap hell this year but there would not be a an empty seat for the next decade in Incestco..

this would have been like the SAN drafts a few years ago..

and who gives a flip if all of the rookies did not instantly start by the bye week many of them would be taking most of the snaps.. By next year or 2011 this would be one hell of a team on both side of the fence.. since 2010+ are a non cap years as it stands .. WOW..

One only has to wonder WHY Billy said NO to this. It would be an instant DEN becomes the BIG fish in the AFC for the next decade..

BeefStew25
03-04-2009, 12:28 AM

I don't know what that means, but praise be to allah.

Lonestar

yes Cassell would have MAYBE gotten 14 mil but we all know it would have been redone for a more cap friendly number with huge incentives like Mc Baby has..

BeefStew25
I do not do mock drafts but I could see Raji/curry, a MLB and a DE in the first with maybe another NT in the second..

Crabtree in the first at 12.

We would be in cap hell this year but there would not be a an empty seat for the next decade in Incestco..

this would have been like the SAN drafts a few years ago..

and who gives a flip if all of the rookies did not instantly start by the bye week many of them would be taking most of the snaps.. By next year or 2011 this would be one hell of a team on both side of the fence.. since 2010+ are a non cap years as it stands .. WOW..

One only has to wonder WHY Billy said NO to this. It would be an instant DEN becomes the BIG fish in the AFC for the next decade..

Yep, as simple as that.

BeefStew25
03-04-2009, 12:29 AM
yes Cassell would have MAYBE gotten 14 mil but we all know it would have been redone for a more cap friendly number with huge incentives like Mc Baby has..

So you want to give him a long term deal out of the gates?

Lonestar
03-04-2009, 12:29 AM
Yep, as simple as that.

could have been.. but allas I guessing BIlly pulled the plug on this one..

getlynched47
03-04-2009, 12:33 AM
Sandy :laugh:

what a gay name :coffee:

BeefStew25
03-04-2009, 12:33 AM
could have been.. but allas I guessing BIlly pulled the plug on this one..

You weren't in the room.

Lonestar
03-04-2009, 12:36 AM
So you want to give him a long term deal out of the gates?

he already has one if you back load it with incentive like Jay has who cares??

He knows the system is surrounded by almost a s good a talent load as NE has on O. Maybe better besides Moss..

With a young and aggressive D and decent set of coaches.. What is not to want in this deal.. Other than CAP hell this year.. after this year the sky is the limit..

Instead we get one choice at 12 that HAS to hit BIG opposed to three chance at before 20. A failure of one would not be catastrophic as blowing one at #12 this year..

Lots of upside..for the next 5-6 years..

BeefStew25
03-04-2009, 12:37 AM
Whiz, I can't stress this enough, and this will be my last post tonight, but....

Jake Plummer is retired. He is not walking through that door. Let it go.

Goodnight.

Lonestar
03-04-2009, 12:38 AM
You weren't in the room.

your correct I was not..

But if I were Billy I would have said NO..

A friend or past employee or not NO WAY I'm allowing Mc KID get that much ammo.. Not in my conference..

Northman
03-04-2009, 12:38 AM

I thought you guys said they didnt entertain any offers? :D

Lonestar
03-04-2009, 12:39 AM
Whiz, I can't stress this enough, and this will be my last post tonight, but....

Jake Plummer is retired. He is not walking through that door. Let it go.

Goodnight.

withe exception of maybe Crabtree the entire draft would have been DL and LB maybe a safety..

I too have to get beauty sleep. Night

shank
03-04-2009, 12:39 AM
i was never mad that he listened to proposals, and that deal is worth considering, i'm mad about how the FO handled it after the deal fell through, letting it blow up like it did. they also show some naivety, because even thought the value is there in this deal, it still would have been a very unpopular move with many fans and players. the reason i don't trust McD's practices is more rooted in the paxton signing.

WARHORSE
03-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Anyone would have listened to that trade offer.

But paying the guarantee to the first round pick is very possibly a liability.

So while it sounds like a really good offer, Detroit would actually have been getting a killer deal. A known franchise QB for the first and twentieth. Plus, he has three years left at very good prices. No risk.

Denver gets two 'potential' players...........with all the financial risk.........and then a QB that knows the system of the new headcoach.

Seems like a killer deal....................but it could also be a ball buster.

Northman
i was never mad that he listened to proposals, and that deal is worth considering, i'm mad about how the FO handled it after the deal fell through, letting it blow up like it did. they also show some naivety, because even thought the value is there in this deal, it still would have been a very unpopular move with many fans and players. the reason i don't trust McD's practices is more rooted in the paxton signing.

Bingo.

But i do agree. Had that deal gone through that #1 pick should of been Crabcakes. That would of been great because then we could of packaged Marshall and the #20 pick for Chris Long. :D

Lonestar
I thought you guys said they didnt entertain any offers? :D

I do not believe I ever said they did not listen.. YOU always listen to folks talk.. You do not have to act on it or say you listened, but you ALWAYS listen..

If you do not you are irresponsible in doing your job..

Northman
03-04-2009, 12:43 AM
I do not believe I ever said they did not listen.. YOU always listen to folks talk.. You do not have to act on it or say you listened, but you ALWAYS listen..

If you do not you are irresponsible in doing your job..

Im just busting your balls as always. :beer:

WARHORSE
03-04-2009, 12:43 AM

Yeah right. Cassell has ALL the leverage in that deal.

He could have demanded a huge guarantee, or simply play out the tag.

That would be the best financially for Cassell.

We dont know what he would have done.

red98
03-04-2009, 12:45 AM
The price for cassel was a high 2nd rounder. Detroit (in theory) could have had him for a 2nd.

Instead they offer the 1st and 20th for Jay Cutler.

Detroit seems to finally have some smart people running the show.

Good for them.

Lonestar
03-04-2009, 12:47 AM
Yeah right. Cassell has ALL the leverage in that deal.

He could have demanded a huge guarantee, or simply play out the tag.

That would be the best financially for Cassell.

We dont know what he would have done.

have feeling being with his old buddy Mc Kid he would have taken a big guarantee up front for a long term deal..

Who knows for sure.. I'll bet the deal will not be as sweet in KC though.. Although he does know Paoli but he does not interact with him daily..

Lonestar
03-04-2009, 12:49 AM
The price for cassel was a high 2nd rounder. Detroit (in theory) could have had him for a 2nd.

Instead they offer the 1st and 20th for Jay Cutler.

Detroit seems to finally have some smart people running the show.

Good for them.

But they did not want Cassell, they wanted Jay for INSTANT fan slobbering.. To throw to the stud WR ..

red98
03-04-2009, 12:53 AM
But they did not want Cassell, they wanted Jay for INSTANT fan slobbering.. To throw to the stud WR ..

Yes, it was a smart move by them. Their new coach must of heard some
good things about jay from Hymendinger and Fischer.

As for cassel, well, the only teams I heard considered him were KC and DEN.

cuzz4169
03-04-2009, 12:55 AM
I don't believe it. We will never know the truth. Anyways I think Cassel is a bum and you will see that with KC.

Lonestar
03-04-2009, 01:01 AM
Yes, it was a smart move by them. Their new coach must of heard some
good things about jay from Hymendinger and Fischer.

As for cassel, well, the only teams I heard considered him were KC and DEN.

I think with Mc Kid as the coach here he would have been a great QB.. Perhaps not all pro each year but as long as we are 11-5 each year witha chance of playoffs who cares..

In KC with all that mess I suspect he would/will not be as good..

red98
03-04-2009, 01:09 AM
I think with Mc Kid as the coach here he would have been a great QB.. Perhaps not all pro each year but as long as we are 11-5 each year witha chance of playoffs who cares..

In KC with all that mess I suspect he would/will not be as good..

I agree since it was McDoogie and Cassel the deal had to be considered. If we had hired a different coach or if it was say derek anderson I wouldn't even think about it.

I do think if Jay gets over his heart break and listens to his coach that McDoogie will have the Broncos in the playoffs next season.

Aside from this PR blunder, I think we have the right kid coaching this team.

fcspikeit
03-04-2009, 01:55 AM

So what, if true this proves McDaniels might not be McIdiot after all but he sure as hell was/is McLair!

It also proves Cutler was right! It also proves he wasn't being a drama queen or cry baby about nothing!!

So which is it? Are those high 5ing this rumor in support of McDaniels, going to admit they were wrong about Cutler? Wrong for bashing him and calling him names because he was right all along?

Please note, this rumor says Denver wanted this trade, it also says NE backed out of it, not Denver! Therefore McDaniels did a hell of a lot more then just take phone calls, they were trying to trade Cutler!

If this rumor is to be believed, then McDaniels is a lying little weasel! Because of his lies Cutler has been called a locker room cancer.. :tsk:

So do you believe this rumor or are you going to call it BS because it makes McDaniels the liar and bad guy in this whole situation?

BroncoJoe
03-04-2009, 03:02 AM
So?

Lonestar
03-04-2009, 04:25 AM
So what, if true this proves McDaniels might not be McIdiot after all but he sure as hell was/is McLair!

It also proves Cutler was right! It also proves he wasn't being a drama queen or cry baby about nothing!!

So which is it? Are those high 5ing this rumor in support of McDaniels, going to admit they were wrong about Cutler? Wrong for bashing him and calling him names because he was right all along?

Please note, this rumor says Denver wanted this trade, it also says NE backed out of it, not Denver! Therefore McDaniels did a hell of a lot more then just take phone calls, they were trying to trade Cutler!

If this rumor is to be believed, then McDaniels is a lying little weasel! Because of his lies Cutler has been called a locker room cancer.. :tsk:

So do you believe this rumor or are you going to call it BS because it makes McDaniels the liar and bad guy in this whole situation?

again perhaps I missed it but:

Who called whom?

If they where thinking about it how is that bad..

At no time did Mc Kid say he did not talk to anyone, all the following says is they were thinking about it..

"original deal that the Broncos were discussing was with Detroit and New England, and Tampa jumped in with a proposal after it fell through. He posed a few scenarios but he "reported" the one Denver wanted but New England backed out of at the last second was:"

If someone called you and offered that deal you would not talk about it?

You would not accept it?

I'd take it in a heart beat..

Unless I missed something Mc Kid did not lie about talking to them about a trade..

Perhaps zantax would be good to try.. At least Pepcid AC to calm the ant acid..

fcspikeit
03-04-2009, 05:01 AM
again perhaps I missed it but:

Who called whom?

If they where thinking about it how is that bad..

At no time did Mc Kid say he did not talk to anyone, all the following says is they were thinking about it..

"original deal that the Broncos were discussing was with Detroit and New England, and Tampa jumped in with a proposal after it fell through. He posed a few scenarios but he "reported" the one Denver wanted but New England backed out of at the last second was:"

If someone called you and offered that deal you would not talk about it?

You would not accept it?

I'd take it in a heart beat..

Unless I missed something Mc Kid did not lie about talking to them about a trade..

Perhaps zantax would be good to try.. At least Pepcid AC to calm the ant acid..

Did you even read it?

"the original deal that the Broncos were discussing was with Detroit and New England, and Tampa jumped in with a proposal after it fell through. He posed a few scenarios but he "reported" the one Denver wanted but New England backed out of at the last second was:"

McLier said they were never going to trade Jay Cutler.. If NE is the one who backed out on the deal they sure as hell where going to trade him. They didn't decide against it, NE did.

And no I wouldn't take it, countless # of 1st round picks have been wasted on QB's. Very few even last in the league, let alone make it as starters. Even fewer can be called franchise QB's..

Plus for a new coach it is suicide! If your team don't win right after a trade like that, you will get killed by the fans and media.

TXBRONC
03-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Bottom line is deal blew up and McDaniels didn't handle his end of it very well. I'm not saying Jay is perfect in all this but if McDaniels gotten a hold of Jay right afterward if not before he could avoided this waste of energy and time.

CoachChaz
03-04-2009, 08:29 AM

Like I said...whatever is BETTER for the team.

CoachChaz
03-04-2009, 08:30 AM
Bottom line is deal blew up and McDaniels didn't handle his end of it very well. I'm not saying Jay is perfect in all this but if McDaniels gotten a hold of Jay right afterward if not before he could avoided this waste of energy and time.

Who's to say that Josh didnt get off the phone and decide to grab some dinner and take a dump before he called Jay and then Jay heard about this in the meantime. Again...making judgements based on lack of information.

Rex
03-04-2009, 08:39 AM
Who's to say that Josh didnt get off the phone and decide to grab some dinner and take a dump before he called Jay and then Jay heard about this in the meantime. Again...making judgements based on lack of information.

I base my judgments on what PFT says.

CoachChaz
03-04-2009, 08:43 AM
I base my judgments on what PFT says.

Even better idea...

When you read a report that supports your stance you should glorify the article and put the writer in your prayers.

But when you read one that goes against your stance, make sure you blast it and call the reporter a douche and talk about how he's always been a pathetic writer and Bronco hater.

Rex
03-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Even better idea...

When you read a report that supports your stance you should glorify the article and put the writer in your prayers.

But when you read one that goes against your stance, make sure you blast it and call the reporter a douche and talk about how he's always been a pathetic writer and Bronco hater.

It is like we are the same person Coach.

CoachChaz
03-04-2009, 08:46 AM
It is like we are the same person Coach.

NO WAY DUDE...I was just about to post the exact same thing. Spooky.

Traveler
03-04-2009, 08:56 AM
No comment on this speculation from G Money? I'd like to read his opinion on this latest rumor of two 1st and Cassel.

Rick
03-04-2009, 09:02 AM
I would have had to consider it myself.

Cassel at the QB, Curry at LB, Raj possibly at 12, Brace(maybe a reach but go for it) at 20.

Very well could have made this team playoff worthy with all that potential there....also Cassel could be a flop and the 3 rookies may be busts so could be sending a proven star for 4 pricey nobodies.

have to consider it though.

BeefStew25
03-04-2009, 09:05 AM

Cassel at the QB, Curry at LB, Raj possibly at 12, Brace(maybe a reach but go for it) at 20.

Very well could have made this team playoff worthy with all that potential there....also Cassel could be a flop and the 3 rookies may be busts so could be sending a proven star for 4 pricey nobodies.

McDaniels would either be the man or the goat. Not much middle ground on that one.

CoachChaz
03-04-2009, 09:08 AM

Absolutely. But, I figure if Jay is somehow already a "proven star", then we have to say Cassell has proven he can run McD's offense. Add our O-line to the mix and I'd expect him to be better.

I also doubt Curry is the type that is a potential bust.

So, if we got a young QB that is more than capable of success in this system and a stud LB out of the deal...I cant argue with pulling the trigger on something like that.

Den21vsBal19
03-04-2009, 09:09 AM
McDaniels would either be the man or the goat. Not much middle ground on that one.
Is there ever?

BeefStew25
03-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Is there ever?

Yes, I guess maybe. Like Cassel is decent, and maybe one of the later picks, but the first rounder is a dud.

Den21vsBal19
03-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Yes, I guess maybe. Like Cassel is decent, and maybe one of the later picks, but the first rounder is a dud.
Nah, as sports fans it's always either hero or zero.....................there's nothing in the middle ;)

TXBRONC
03-04-2009, 12:34 PM

Right, that's why Jay says he felt blind sided. Get high might all you want Chaz I made no judgements without information. Nevertheless all I said I didn't think he handled very well, if you don't like, well life goes on.

Lonestar
03-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Did you even read it?

"the original deal that the Broncos were discussing was with Detroit and New England, and Tampa jumped in with a proposal after it fell through. He posed a few scenarios but he "reported" the one Denver wanted but New England backed out of at the last second was:"

McLier said they were never going to trade Jay Cutler.. If NE is the one who backed out on the deal they sure as hell where going to trade him. They didn't decide against it, NE did.

And no I wouldn't take it, countless # of 1st round picks have been wasted on QB's. Very few even last in the league, let alone make it as starters. Even fewer can be called franchise QB's..

Plus for a new coach it is suicide! If your team don't win right after a trade like that, you will get killed by the fans and media.

From what I saw OUR Head Coach said he listened to offers but decided not to trade cutlet ..
For whatever reason.. He said they contacted US.. We did not initiate the calls.. Unless you saw something different than I did..

Now this report said nothing different from his first and almost only communication with the papers.. OTHER than the details of the best offer.. If your reading any more into this YOU need to read the article again.. Or point out where I have misread it..

Frankly If I had been the HC/GM I'd have made this deal in a heart beat.. and frankly if I were Jay after hearing this I'd be flattered and stop whining about "maybe being traded"..

CoachChaz
03-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Right, that's why Jay says he felt blind sided. Get high might all you want Chaz I made no judgements without information. Nevertheless all I said I didn't think he handled very well, if you don't like, well life goes on.

Unless you were in the room and witnessed the conversations and phone calls that took place...this is an incorrect statement.

TXBRONC
03-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Unless you were in the room and witnessed the conversations and phone calls that took place...this is an incorrect statement.

No not hardly, and besieds that before you go around pointing fingers look in the mirror.

CoachChaz
03-04-2009, 01:08 PM
No not hardly, and besieds that before you go around pointing fingers look in the mirror.

Seriously? I've reiterated a million times that I cant judge and hate McD because I have no clue what went on in that room. Just another post with you taking something I say and turning it into something I never said in order to prove a point. It's old.

Ignore

Nature Boy
03-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Bring back Mikey! Bring back Mikey!

rcsodak
03-04-2009, 04:14 PM

You don't suppose they'd have the smarts to trade 1 or 2 #1's for draft picks next year? When their could be NO cap?

They could have had a KC-like draft, where they loaded up with top notch players, and not missed a beat because the QB already knew the system.

Ehh.....who cares. :coffee:

RunYouOver
03-04-2009, 04:34 PM
The facts really do change a lot...not saying this is a fact, but if true, that makes it a hell of a lot easier to understand WHY McD would even consider this...

Lonestar
03-04-2009, 04:42 PM
The facts really do change a lot...not saying this is a fact, but if true, that makes it a hell of a lot easier to understand WHY McD would even consider this...

had this come out, up front, about 95% of the Mc Kid haters or Jay lovers most likely would have been singing a much different tune..

have we pulled it off he would be hailed as the best GM/HC combo in the NFL..

red98
03-04-2009, 04:44 PM
have we pulled it off he would be hailed as the best GM/HC combo in the NFL..

By you.

Lonestar
03-04-2009, 04:49 PM
By you.

are you saying you would be unhappy with 2 #1's and a starting QB that already knows the system for Jay?

Picking at 1,12 and 20 you do not think we could come up with at least TWO quality picks with those three not counting what we might get with 2-7.

Sorry but IMHO that is a no brainer..

I'll bet 95% of the forum would be jumping all over those prospects..

Nature Boy
03-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Cutler is the 2nd coming of John Elway. No trade in the world is worth trading away Cutler.

Nature Boy
03-04-2009, 04:53 PM
are you saying you would be unhappy with 2 #1's and a starting QB that already knows the system for Jay?

Picking at 1,12 and 20 you do not think we could come up with at least TWO quality picks with those three not counting what we might get with 2-7.

Would the Broncos be able to fit all 3 1st rounders under the cap and still make effective moves in free agency to shore up the broken wheel, the defense?

red98
03-04-2009, 04:53 PM

Yes. That is what I am saying. You might want to re-read the posts in this thread and re-think that 95% number.

rcsodak
03-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Yes. That is what I am saying. You might want to re-read the posts in this thread and re-think that 95% number.

Small group to make a cognitive poll from...

...and though 95% may be high...

...I'd imagine it'd be 60-75% FOR the deal.

And that's even taking into account the "2nd coming of John Elway" peeps.:rolleyes:

BigDaddyBronco
03-04-2009, 06:11 PM
I would have been for it if it was Detroit's #20 pick, their 1st round pick next year, and Cassel.

The #1 overall pick is too costly with nothing we really need (at the price) this year. But I would lay odds that Detroit would be in the top 10 next year.

That sounds too good to be true, like a Herschel Walker trade or something.

Den21vsBal19
03-04-2009, 07:25 PM
I would have been for it if it was Detroit's #20 pick, their 1st round pick next year, and Cassel.

The #1 overall pick is too costly with nothing we really need (at the price) this year. But I would lay odds that Detroit would be in the top 10 next year.

That sounds too good to be true, like a Herschel Walker trade or something.
I don't think that you'll ever quite see anything like the Walker trade again, what with the salary cap & modern free agency, however this is pretty damned close to it...................

And just because we would have ended up with 3 1st rounders now, doesn't neccessarily mean that we'd have had them all come draft day...............there would have been plenty of time to do some more wheelin' & dealin'

red98
03-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Small group to make a cognitive poll from...

...and though 95% may be high...

...I'd imagine it'd be 60-75% FOR the deal.

And that's even taking into account the "2nd coming of John Elway" peeps.:rolleyes:

I doubt it. And that's even taking into account the "2nd coming of Tom Brady" peeps

Astrass
03-05-2009, 03:37 AM
Shame on Detroit for considering that trade too......They needs those 2 first rounders more then anything lol. After all, they could draft 2 first round WR's this year!

WARHORSE
03-05-2009, 04:05 AM
For the 1, the 20 and Cassell?

Nope.

We assume ALL the financial risk if the picks dont pan out. PLUS, Cassell is only under contract for one year, and he holds all the leverage.

Not saying I would do it, but a better deal would be: The 20, the 33, and their first and second next year...............and Cassell.

TXBRONC
03-05-2009, 05:39 AM
For the 1, the 20 and Cassell?

Nope.

We assume ALL the financial risk if the picks dont pan out. PLUS, Cassell is only under contract for one year, and he holds all the leverage.

Not saying I would do it, but a better deal would be: The 20, the 33, and their first and second next year...............and Cassell.

If Cassell deal had gone through, I'm sure Denver would have worked out a long term deal. If I'm not mistaken that's what the Chiefs are doing with Cassel.

fcspikeit
03-05-2009, 06:44 AM
From what I saw OUR Head Coach said he listened to offers but decided not to trade cutlet ..
For whatever reason.. He said they contacted US.. We did not initiate the calls.. Unless you saw something different than I did..

Now this report said nothing different from his first and almost only communication with the papers.. OTHER than the details of the best offer.. If your reading any more into this YOU need to read the article again.. Or point out where I have misread it..

Frankly If I had been the HC/GM I'd have made this deal in a heart beat.. and frankly if I were Jay after hearing this I'd be flattered and stop whining about "maybe being traded"..

Jr are you kidding me? This report said nothing different? :confused:

Are you honestly telling me you can't see the difference in him saying he backed out and this report that says Denver wanted the trade but NE backed out?

Denver wanted the trade! How is that not wanting to trade Cutler? :confused: NE backed out, as in Denver was going to trade Cutler!

How is that the same thing? Seriously, are you really not getting it? If he didn't back out then he wanted the trade! How is that the same thing as what he said? He said Denver was never going to trade Cutler...

fcspikeit
03-05-2009, 07:18 AM

I would not have taken it.. Why do you suppose Det would have offered it?
I suppose they know what Cutler is worth, the odds are there isn't a Cutler in this draft regardless of how many 1st round picks you have.

They could have got Cassel for a lot less, so why didn't they just trade for him?

How many QB's are taken in the first round that don't amount to a damn thing? When you actually hit on one, why would you trade him away, for more picks just so you can have the chance of maybe hitting again?

No one thought Cassel was worth a 1st round pick. Even McDaniels only offered a 2nd for him. Why would you trade a guy that is worth 2 1st round picks for a guy that is only worth a 2nd pick?

Again, If Cassel was good enough, why didn't Det just offer their 1st (20th) to trade for him, they wont even be able to get 1 of the 2 top rookie QB's with that pick, yet they couldn't see enough in Cassel to make the trade and save their 1st overall pick, at the same time their willing to give us both their 1st rounders for Cutler.. Yeah, that sounds like a guy I want to let get away.. LOL

TXBRONC
03-05-2009, 11:25 AM
I would not have taken it.. Why do you suppose Det would have offered it?
I suppose they know what Cutler is worth, the odds are there isn't a Cutler in this draft regardless of how many 1st round picks you have.

They could have got Cassel for a lot less, so why didn't they just trade for him?

How many QB's are taken in the first round that don't amount to a damn thing? When you actually hit on one, why would you trade him away, for more picks just so you can have the chance of maybe hitting again?

No one thought Cassel was worth a 1st round pick. Even McDaniels only offered a 2nd for him. Why would you trade a guy that is worth 2 1st round picks for a guy that is only worth a 2nd pick?

Again, If Cassel was good enough, why didn't Det just offer their 1st (20th) to trade for him, they wont even be able to get 1 of the 2 top rookie QB's with that pick, yet they couldn't see enough in Cassel to make the trade and save their 1st overall pick, at the same time their willing to give us both their 1st rounders for Cutler.. Yeah, that sounds like a guy I want to let get away.. LOL

I can appreciate that McDaniels would considerate it because might get three starters out of it. However, if this was such a no brainer, yet McDaniels is saying he never intended to trade Cutler anyway, then it doesn't add up.

NameUsedBefore
03-05-2009, 01:03 PM
If that trade was true there would be absolutely no way we could afford it. And also if it is true then why didn't McDaniels just tell Cutler that that was the offer? I think McDaniels would've told Cutler that Detroit was offering the world immediately instead of shirking away like he did. I'm reserving my doubts here.

CoachChaz
03-05-2009, 01:06 PM
It'll all be figured out next week and then we can forget all this BS. I'm tired of it.

OB
03-05-2009, 01:13 PM
If "ifs and buts" were candies and nuts - oh what a party it'd be :beer:

broncohead
03-05-2009, 01:27 PM
I bet it was McD pushing for the trade and somebody higher up bitch lapped him.