PDA

View Full Version : Chris Simms to visit Denver

BeefStew25
03-03-2009, 06:39 PM
The Tennessee Titans still want to re-sign Chris Simms for the 2009, perhaps even to be their primary backup quarterback, but now have some competition for his services.

According to league sources, Simms is drawing interest from the Denver Broncos and Detroit Lions, and is expected to travel to Denver for a visit with the Broncos on Wednesday.

Simms signed with the Titans after being released by Tampa Bay at the end of preseason last year.

Simms came to the Titans and spent a good portion of the year regaining his strength after having to have his spleen removed in the aftermath an on-field injury in 2006 with the Buccaneers.

Now fully healthy, Simms is simply looking for a chance to prove himself again, either as a solid No. 2 quarterback or with a chance to compete for a starting role somewhere.

With the Titans, there appears to be the likelihood that Simms would at least get the chance for a training camp battle with former starter Vince Young for the second-string spot behind Kerry Collins.

The Broncos have Jay Cutler entrenched as their starter for now, but the relationship between him and new coach Josh McDaniels is off to a rocky start after Cutler’s name surfaced in talks regarding a trade for then-New England Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel.

Cassel was eventually dealt to Kansas City, but Cutler’s name continues to be bandied about in rumors with both the Lions and Buccaneers.

Barring a trade of Cutler, Detroit might offer Simms the quickest avenue to starting again. The new regime in Detroit certainly should be familiar with Simms, as former Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz is now their head coach. The Lions quarterback situation is much more unsettled, though they have lost Dan Orlovsky and Jon Kitna in recent days. Daunte Culpepper is currently the Lions starter.

MORE LIONS: Speaking of the Titans' free agents and the Lions, the The Detroit Free Press reports that Tennessee tackle Daniel Loper will visit with the club this week.

Loper’s agent, Leonard Roth, told The City Paper on Monday that his client would likely take some visits this week.

As for cornerback/return man Chris Carr, his agent Buddy Baker said the visit to Detroit went well.

“I think the Lions have a great amount of interest. Obviously, he has a great deal of respect for Jim Schwartz,” Baker said.

Carr was on his way to Cleveland where had a visit on Tuesday and could still have more visits scheduled. Pittsburgh and Minnesota are believed to have some interest in him, though the Titans are still in the running as well.

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=66535

turftoad
03-03-2009, 06:51 PM
I wouldn't mind having him as a back up. That said, I wouldn't want to have him as a replacement for Cutler.

BeefStew25
03-03-2009, 06:52 PM
I wish he had a spleen.

turftoad
03-03-2009, 06:55 PM
I wish he had a spleen.

Hey, he was starting to play well when his medical problem happened.

BeefStew25
03-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Hey, he was starting to play well when his medical problem happened.

Gruden was a douche about that.

underrated29
03-03-2009, 06:56 PM
I like simms as well too.

Good enough to fill in if needed, but not anything that could cause a Qb contraversy.

Shazam!
03-03-2009, 07:01 PM
I hope he succeeds somewhere. His father was a great QB.

JKcatch724
03-03-2009, 07:05 PM
too soon.

GEM
03-03-2009, 07:10 PM
A definite upgrade over Ramsey. Hope it works out.

Kind of funny this comes out right after clearing up the last qb controversy. :lol:

rcsodak
03-03-2009, 07:11 PM
meh....guess he's no worse than ramsey was....

Magnificent Seven
03-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Release Patrick Ramsey. Keep Hackney and sign Simms. It would look good. However, Phil Simms won't talk trash about Broncos anymore. :D

Ziggy
03-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Release Patrick Ramsey. Keep Hackney and sign Simms. It would look good. However, Phil Simms won't talk trash about Broncos anymore. :D

Ramsey is no longer a Bronco. His contract expired, and he's an UFA. Simms would be a nice option for a backup QB, but I'm guessing that he would rather go to a team where he has a chance to start.

SR
03-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Ramsey is a free agent...

turftoad
03-03-2009, 07:25 PM

Kind of funny this comes out right after clearing up the last qb controversy. :lol:

I don't think anything is cleared up yet for sure.

claymore
03-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Simms isnt a starter. We can do worse as a backup. Par for the course under Mcscamyouall's.

shank
03-03-2009, 07:30 PM
i agree with turf, simms was playing great before his spleen decided to take him down a few notches. if he can return to similar form, he'd be a very good option as a backup to cutler.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-03-2009, 07:46 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_11828379?source=rss

As the Broncos attempted to make peace with starting quarterback Jay Cutler on Tuesday, they also continued the search for his backup.

The Broncos will bring in veteran QB Chris Simms for a visit Wednesday.

Simms, 28, had his best season in 2005 when he led the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to the playoffs. Early in the 2006 season, Simms suffered a ruptured spleen in a Week 3 game against the Carolina Panthers, ending his year.

He hasn't played in a game since, but has been a backup, most recently with the Minnesota Vikings.

Simms is the son of former New York Giants quarterback and NBC football analyst Phil Simms. He is the older brother of University of Louisville quarterback Matt Simms.

The Broncos are seeking a backup quarterback with NFL experience after deciding not to bring back Patrick Ramsey.

MadMax
03-03-2009, 07:46 PM
I'd love to have him as a backup too, but it appears that Simms isn't ready to become an official backup QB in the NFL. Unless we gave a boatload more money, or Detroit hires someone who will clearly start at QB I think we will lose him to Detroit.

Thnikkaman
03-03-2009, 07:48 PM
I wish he had a spleen.

Peter Forsberg doesn't have a spleen.

But unlike Foppa, Chris Simms isn't AWESOME!!!!

getlynched47
03-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Lol at Chris Simms :laugh:

what a loser :coffee:

dogfish
03-03-2009, 08:21 PM
me likey. . .

he's one of the better backups in the league, and has staring experience. . . .

SmilinAssasSin27
03-03-2009, 08:26 PM
good backup option.

Buff
03-03-2009, 08:29 PM
If he's healthy, he's a definite improvement over Ramsey. But then again, who isn't?

NameUsedBefore
03-03-2009, 08:30 PM
If he's healthy, he's a definite improvement over Ramsey. But then again, who isn't?

Darrell Hackney.

Buff
03-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Darrell Hackney.

I was hoping they'd give Hackney the nod over Ramsey after training camp last year... Ramsey was awful.

TXBRONC
03-03-2009, 10:40 PM
I wouldn't mind having him as a back up. That said, I wouldn't want to have him as a replacement for Cutler.

Agreed.

BroncoWave
03-03-2009, 10:45 PM
I like Ramsey better! :D

Broncospsycho77
03-03-2009, 10:48 PM
If he signs somewhere else, I'm sure we could trade somebody for him straight up.

(too soon?)

nevcraw
03-03-2009, 10:55 PM
This would be a good move.. Simms has a lot of experience with young Napoleanic head coaches..

DenBronx
03-03-2009, 11:55 PM
perfect backup for us. id be happy about this signing.

fcspikeit
03-04-2009, 07:11 AM

Van Pelt :coffee:

I think Sims is better then a few starters from last year.. I would love to have him as our backup. But he would have a better chance of being a starter in Detroit. I would be surprised if he decided to play here instead.

broncofaninfla
03-04-2009, 08:38 AM

Totally agree.

rcsodak
03-04-2009, 04:07 PM
me likey. . .

he's one of the better backups in the league, and has staring experience. . . .

Wouldn't that mean we ALL are worthy? :confused:

Frankly, dog, he's an unknown, isn't he? He hasn't played in a coon's age, and last I heard, he's still adjusting to being able to throw the ball.

He sucked at TU, and hasn't improved since, imho. So far, only the Mannings are capable of passing muster, when it comes to following in their father's footsteps.