PDA

View Full Version : What McD should of done from the start

Northman
03-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Im stealing this from TJ on the Mane but man it sums up exactly how i feel about this entire situation from head to toe. This is his quote:

"Hi Jay? You're cutting out a little... You there?

This is Josh.

McDaniels.

Josh McDaniels. Your new head coach.

McDaniels. Yeah.

Hey listen, I wanted to get you on the phone so that you heard about it from me before you heard it anywhere else. I think that it's important that you know that we've been receiving several trade offers for you from a few different teams around the league. Now, I'm going to be honest with you, because this could sound a little sticky. I'm going to be honest Jay, because a few of these offers gave me some pause -- they involved my good friend Matt Cassell, and I had such a great run with him recently - heck, I practically owe him my job with the Broncos - that I couldn't help but entertain the thought. But I want to be straight with you Jay - we've turned everything down. Despite my lapse of nostalgia, you are our guy now and for the forseeable future. So if you hear any of this in the media, I just want you to know that we are not shopping you around, and aren't even condsidering trading you. I think that you and I are going to do some special things in this league together, and I want you to rest easy knowing that you're on solid ground here in Denver.

Well, I'm going to let you get back to making toys, or whatever it is you do there in Santa Claus, Indiana. We'll see you soon."

xzn
03-03-2009, 01:48 PM
But since he failed to do that the next best thing they can do is start negotiating a new long-term Franchise QB level contract extension for him to document their level of commitment. Assuming they are committed they will need to do so in the near future anyway. Money heals all wounds... well at least most...

silkamilkamonico
03-03-2009, 01:54 PM
But since he failed to do that the next best thing they can do is start negotiating a new long-term Franchise QB level contract extension for him to document their level of commitment. Assuming they are committed they will need to do so in the near future anyway. Money heals all wounds... well at least most...

Let's see if Jay can win some big games before we give up a top notch contract like that. We don't need a Byron Leftwich on our hands here.

Shazam!
03-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Shouldn't the QB be kissing the new Coach's butt?

Jay Cutler is NOT John Elway.

silkamilkamonico
03-03-2009, 01:57 PM

No. But I hear he has a better arm.

xzn
03-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Disagree. He is the franchise. He has a lot to learn still but has all the requisite tools. Its time to commit to him.

If we are not committed then go ahead and deal him for the best deal we can get. But it better be Herschel Walker like. He's not a fully developed Franchise QB yet, YET.

QBs with Franchise Potential do not grow on trees!

turftoad
03-03-2009, 02:01 PM

Whatever, a Pro Bowl QB can make new head coach's job easier.

Besides, what Northman posted is not kissing ass. It's called good people skills and keeping in communication with one of your star players.

It's not to tough.

xzn
03-03-2009, 02:03 PM

No one is a bigger Elway fan than me but Elway was far from perfect as a player or person. He made mistakes. We tend to forget the 14 years before the final two.

Jay Cutler has the tools to be NOT another John Elway but the FIRST Jay Cutler.

His emotional volatility may be his achilles heel but he has every other skill / talent you could ask for in a Franchise QB.

It's up to the coaches and his own efforts to help him develop and realize his potential. Problem is that right now he feels betrayed. They need to show him the money if in fact they believe what they say that he is their guy.

MadMax
03-03-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm really starting to think for better or worse we don't have the next Elway, we have the next Brett Favre. Didn't Favre gripe a whole bunch when they fired Holmgren, and I know he threatened to ask for a trade when they fired Mike Sherman. Hmmm and Cutler has a great arm, but throws a lot of picks. All I'm saying is we better keep him away from the painkillers. :lol:

xzn
03-03-2009, 02:23 PM
If he is the next Favre, I'll take that!

Minus the vicodine....

shank
03-03-2009, 03:22 PM

no. just because McD has the title of head coach doesn't mean that he automatically commands respect. jay cutler has a much bigger body of work as an NFL quarterback than josh mcdaniels has as an NFL head coach. mcD should have come in with the mindset of first and foremost winning the trust and respect of his players, but in between acts of cronyism, he forgot to do so.

claymore
03-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Let's see if Jay can win some big games before we give up a top notch contract like that. We don't need a Byron Leftwich on our hands here.
Lets see if we can get him a defense and a reciever thats not arrested every week so some consistency happens.

Jay Cutler is NOT John Elway.Hell no. Cherry coach..... Hell no.

No. But I hear he has a better arm.
He might.

no. just because McD has the title of head coach doesn't mean that he automatically commands respect. jay cutler has a much bigger body of work as an NFL quarterback than josh mcdaniels has as an NFL head coach. mcD should have come in with the mindset of first and foremost winning the trust and respect of his players, but in between acts of cronyism, he forgot to do so.
Exactly, Josh McDaniels is highly replaceable. Jay Cutler is not.

CoachChaz
03-03-2009, 03:39 PM
This is sad. I cant judge who is right or who is wrong in this matter and really...no one can because we dont have all the information...but the day I start condoning that coaches kiss the asses of players is the day I give up as a sports fan. Do you all realize WTF you are saying? The biggest problem with sports today is the prima donna player and you all want the franchise to get on their proverbial knees for a player that "could be" a great player. It amazes me.

claymore
03-03-2009, 03:43 PM
This is sad. I cant judge who is right or who is wrong in this matter and really...no one can because we dont have all the information...but the day I start condoning that coaches kiss the asses of players is the day I give up as a sports fan. Do you all realize WTF you are saying? The biggest problem with sports today is the prima donna player and you all want the franchise to get on their proverbial knees for a player that "could be" a great player. It amazes me.

I agree a hundred percent. And I would prefer a mutual respect and loyalty from both parties as opposed to ass kissery.

shank
03-03-2009, 03:45 PM
there doesn't need to be ass kissing to fix this. just empathy and willingness by both sides.

jrelway
03-03-2009, 04:01 PM
maybe the pre madonna shit doesnt fly in highschool and collegiate sports but the nfl aint the same as the old days. its a business and nowadays the player has more say than the coaches do. so it seems like.

broncofaninfla
03-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Im stealing this from TJ on the Mane but man it sums up exactly how i feel about this entire situation from head to toe. This is his quote:

Good post, I totally agree.

CoachChaz
03-03-2009, 04:05 PM
maybe the pre madonna shit doesnt fly in highschool and collegiate sports but the nfl aint the same as the old days. its a business and nowadays the player has more say than the coaches do. so it seems like.

Only when it's allowed. You want someone on your team that dictates what his team does and goes directly to the media when he isnt happy, all the while producing below his talent level? Fine...go deal for T.O.

jrelway
03-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Only when it's allowed. You want someone on your team that dictates what his team does and goes directly to the media when he isnt happy, all the while producing below his talent level? Fine...go deal for T.O.

T.O.? where'd that come from.

Northman
03-03-2009, 04:47 PM

Personally, i didnt put it up there as for McD to kiss Jay's ass but rather have an open communication about what his plans are and what may happen.

CoachChaz
03-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Personally, i didnt put it up there as for McD to kiss Jay's ass but rather have an open communication about what his plans are and what may happen.

I know that and I could list the people that make intelligent argument from the Cutler side and those that make intelligent argument from the McDaniels side on one hand.

Unfortunately, there are those that take the argument to the extreme and the itellectuals often get lumped in.

(Kind of like the P&R section)

BeefStew25
03-03-2009, 05:02 PM
I know that and I could list the people that make intelligent argument from the Cutler side and those that make intelligent argument from the McDaniels side on one hand.

Unfortunately, there are those that take the argument to the extreme and the itellectuals often get lumped in.

(Kind of like the P&R section)

You be our leader and set the guidelines, Coach.

scott.475
03-03-2009, 05:10 PM
I don't understand why McD has such a prominent role in this. I thought we brought in a REAL GM separate from the coach to handle these kind of personnel things. If Xanders had been the one as involved in all this as McD seems to have been, as the GM should be, at least McD would have been a little insulated and Cutler would be directing his anger at the GM instead of his coach.

Lots of blame to go around, it seems, but I sure don't want to see my QB and coach having a distrust for each other, I wouldn't have as much heartache over it if it was between the QB and the GM, as at least the QB/coach relationship could be salvaged.

G_Money
03-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Nobody made a huge error, and nobody was totally right.

It's just the screwing up of small things in such a way that they turned into big things really quickly.

Somebody sneezed really loud in the back country at Breckenridge and now we're all trying to outrun the avalanche.

McDaniels made the first errors, so it's on McDaniels to make it right. But if he can't, because Jay won't let him or he just isn't equipped to, then other arrangements will have to be reached, probably to our detriment as Broncos fans.

A coach shouldn't have to go hat-in-hand to a player very often.

But this is an exception. A coach 4 weeks on the job should know better than to even let out a whisper of a doubt concerning trading his Pro Bowl QB. It makes people crazy. All people. Org people, players, fans, coaches, everybody.

Most new coaches don't get the chance to have a Pro Bowl QB when they walk into a gig - poor QB play is probably the major reason for coaching change. One of the semi-recent "Pro-Bowl QB with an offense mostly in place" that I can think of changing hands was Peyton Manning and the Colts - also because their D bottomed out and had the #2 offense in the league with a losing record and missing the playoffs.

If there had been even a whisper of Dungy replacing Manning with Trent Dilfer (SB winner and former QB) or Shaun King (he of the 10-6 record just a year before) he would have been crucified in Indy.

These are the rumors you don't let out. If someone makes one you QUASH IT. You don't say "no comment." Or, "he's my QB."

You get in front of a camera, laugh like a senile clown, and deny it while wiping tears from your eyes. Or you move the QB and deal with the flak. Taking the flak while trying to kind of patch things with Cutler but sort of maybe field calls for him is retarded.

The errors that led to this are understandable. Dumb - on both sides - but understandable.

The attempted method of fixing the problem confounds me.

I'd like Jay to be the bigger man and let it go.

I'd like McDaniels to be the bigger man and go apologize to Cutler wherever he happens to be, even if he doesn't think he did anything to warrant having to do that.

But right now, they both look like they're trying to out-small each other, which is a bad place for us as Broncos fans to be caught in the middle of.

~G

omac
03-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Whatever, a Pro Bowl QB can make new head coach's job easier.

Besides, what Northman posted is not kissing ass. It's called good people skills and keeping in communication with one of your star players.

It's not to tough.

The ironic thing is, doesn't everyone remember how part of the focus when hiring McDaniels was that he projected as such a great communicator? :D Good communication early on could've prevented all of this.

Also, McDaniels hasn't proven shit as a head coach. I'm rooting for him to do well, but his mistake is expecting players to respect and trust him, like they would an established head coach like Shanahan, Bellichick, or Parcells. He has to earn his reputation as a head coach first, before he gets the respect and trust.

claymore
03-03-2009, 07:47 PM

It's just the screwing up of small things in such a way that they turned into big things really quickly.

Somebody sneezed really loud in the back country at Breckenridge and now we're all trying to outrun the avalanche.

McDaniels made the first errors, so it's on McDaniels to make it right. But if he can't, because Jay won't let him or he just isn't equipped to, then other arrangements will have to be reached, probably to our detriment as Broncos fans.

But this is an exception. A coach 4 weeks on the job should know better than to even let out a whisper of a doubt concerning trading his Pro Bowl QB. It makes people crazy. All people. Org people, players, fans, coaches, everybody.

Most new coaches don't get the chance to have a Pro Bowl QB when they walk into a gig - poor QB play is probably the major reason for coaching change. One of the semi-recent "Pro-Bowl QB with an offense mostly in place" that I can think of changing hands was Peyton Manning and the Colts - also because their D bottomed out and had the #2 offense in the league with a losing record and missing the playoffs.

If there had been even a whisper of Dungy replacing Manning with Trent Dilfer (SB winner and former QB) or Shaun King (he of the 10-6 record just a year before) he would have been crucified in Indy.

These are the rumors you don't let out. If someone makes one you QUASH IT. You don't say "no comment." Or, "he's my QB."

You get in front of a camera, laugh like a senile clown, and deny it while wiping tears from your eyes. Or you move the QB and deal with the flak. Taking the flak while trying to kind of patch things with Cutler but sort of maybe field calls for him is retarded.

The errors that led to this are understandable. Dumb - on both sides - but understandable.

I'd like McDaniels to be the bigger man and go apologize to Cutler wherever he happens to be, even if he doesn't think he did anything to warrant having to do that.

But right now, they both look like they're trying to out-small each other, which is a bad place for us as Broncos fans to be caught in the middle of.

~G

Dude, there is a time and a place where your post either changes, or enlightens every poster I know.....

This IMO is the greatest post ever. Or I am wasted and maybe a little of both.........

Great Post Brother.

Northman
03-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Dude, there is a time and a place where your post either changes, or enlightens every poster I know.....

This IMO is the greatest post ever. Or I am wasted and maybe a little of both.........

Great Post Brother.

It was quite good wasnt it. Kind of reminds me of that scene from Varsity Blues when Billy Bob was going to off himself on the football field. When Moxon came to talk to him Billy said he wasnt going to be around anymore to protect Moxon's ass. In which Moxon replied "i like to think i have a very nice ass" and of course Billy responded "yea, you kinda do". :lol:

WARHORSE
03-04-2009, 12:54 AM

~G

What really took this situation to the next level imo was Bowlens silence.

"Mr. Bowlen, can you please elaborate on this situation?"

Bowlen PR rep: "Sorry, Mr. Bowlen is in the back country of Breckenridge.....hes not feeling well."

That silence was the sneeze that sent the avalanche churning.

warcrychief
03-04-2009, 03:27 AM
I agree a hundred percent. And I would prefer a mutual respect and loyalty from both parties as opposed to ass kissery.

Only if life could be so kind on McNificent. How old is he? 32? should have given him a couple more years to blossom. He might have known the difference.