PDA

View Full Version : CBS4 reports Bus Cook meets with Bronco FO

TheDave
03-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Stole this from the team message board...

According to Vic Lombardi @ CBS4 Bus Cook was at Dove valley yesterday to meet with the Broncos FO... What this means I have no idea.

Normally i would think this is good news and he is trying to smooth things out, but with some of his Bret Favre antics n the past he could be there to ask for a trade. I'm hoping we will hear something today.

Flatinum
03-03-2009, 10:15 AM
If true, this is becoming a joke. Is this high school?

"Jay is still not talking to you so I'm coming instead." lol

If he wants a trade, then get the crybaby out of here and get on with it.

TheDave
03-03-2009, 10:19 AM
If true, this is becoming a joke. Is this high school?

"Jay is still not talking to you so I'm coming instead." lol

If he wants a trade, then get the crybaby out of here and get on with it.

Like I've said a million times in regards to this situation... There are 2 sides to every story, were going to have to wait and see how this plays out.

MOtorboat
03-03-2009, 10:23 AM
I know people hate Klis, but here's his latest:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11822670

Cutler, Broncos lack common ground
By Mike Klis

The Broncos have reached out to disgruntled quarterback Jay Cutler, the team confirmed Monday.

But the sides appear as far apart as ever, with Cutler in Nashville, Tenn., and the Broncos refusing comment about any overtures they might be making to patch up the soured relationship.

Cutler's agent, Bus Cook, said his client remains upset that it appears the Broncos tried to trade him.

"I do think under the circumstances it was very poor on their part if in fact they were trying to trade Jay," Cook said. "You don't know what's true and what's not true. Depends on what you read. It's unfortunate because Jay was getting in the groove out there in Denver, and all this just threw him out of kilter."

A proposed trade last weekend would have sent Cutler from the Broncos to Tampa Bay in exchange for at least a first-round draft pick. The Broncos were to then trade Tampa Bay's pick to New England for quarterback Matt Cassel, whom McDaniels coached as the Patriots' offensive coordinator last season. Cassel instead was dealt to the Kansas City Chiefs. Cutler felt betrayed McDaniels appeared ready to deal him away.

"I've heard I'm still on the trading block," Cutler said Saturday.

It's not known whether coach Josh McDaniels or general manager Brian Xanders placed the call to Cutler, who could not be reached for comment Monday.

Cook said he has spoken with Xanders, whom he has known for several years, but has never spoken with McDaniels. Cook said he does not believe Cutler has ever requested a trade.

"He did not talk to me about that," Cook said. "I would think if he did request a trade, he would tell me about it. I'm not saying he did or didn't. I'm saying I'm not aware of it."

No one from the Broncos' organization would comment further Monday, instead saying that what McDaniels told The Denver Post on Saturday remains the team's position. McDaniels denied he initiated the trade proposal, telling The Post: "We've received trade calls on a number of players, which is not uncommon this time of the year. I also think the sensitivity of the other trade that was occurring, with my relationship with New England and the whole Cassel thing, I think that stirred the pot even more.

"We don't want to trade Jay. We never did. He's our quarterback."

Told of McDaniels' denial, Cutler said, "He's covering his (tracks)."

Cutler added that his relationship with McDaniels, which had been steadily blossoming in the weeks leading up to the proposed trade, had taken a couple of steps backward.

Some of Cutler's close friends have encouraged him to stay out of the spotlight for now, for fear he might talk himself into a trade to a team such as Detroit, which went 0-16.

"If they trade him to Detroit, who's going to be their quarterback?" Cook said.

The next key date for the quarterback-coach issue might be March 16, when Broncos players are scheduled to begin their "voluntary" offseason workout program. If Cutler shows up and personally meets with Mc- Daniels, they could work on healing a fractured relationship.

If Cutler doesn't show up, the controversy will rage. This scenario could again lead the Broncos to consider trading away the player who has widely been described as their franchise quarterback the past three seasons. Cutler, 25, was named to his first Pro Bowl last season.

Cook also represents Broncos tight end Tony Scheffler, who was selected after Cutler in the 2006 draft. An NFL source said Scheffler's name also has come up in trade discussions. What has Cook heard about the possibility of Scheffler being on the block?

"Not much, other than all players are subject to being talked about in a trade, I guess," Cook said. "If Jay Cutler can get traded, anybody can. The people behind Jay, if they're ticked off because this has occurred, they have every right. Jay Cutler is very upset by it. It's a pretty big mess."

Traveler
Like I've said a million times in regards to this situation... There are 2 sides to every story, were going to have to wait and see how this plays out.

Agree!

Northman

Unfortuantely, not with the haters. :lol:

TheDave
03-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Unfortuantely, not with the haters. :lol:

Trust me... I know.

This is just one of those situations where everyone seems to be handleing it poorly. There is something to the trust that exists btween a head coach and a player. On that front McDaniels has screwed the pooch. On the other hand Cutler needs to get over it. Maybe a "Time Out" for both parties is the best thing for everyone.

SR
03-03-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm personally tired of hearing about it. Jay is not going anywhere. McD isn't going anywhere. Jay needs to quit being a pansy, man up, and play football.

Northman
03-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Trust me... I know.

This is just one of those situations where everyone seems to be handleing it poorly. There is something to the trust that exists btween a head coach and a player. On that front McDaniels has screwed the pooch. On the other hand Cutler needs to get over it. Maybe a "Time Out" for both parties is the best thing for everyone.

Definitely.

TheDave
03-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Definitely.

Something else to keep in mind...

The team requested a sit down with Jay, to which he answered "I don't plan on meeting them any time soon". Well in the real world thats called insubordination. Depending on the temperature @ Dove Valley that could easily lead to them making a rash decision and trading his client to Detroit or some other form of Siberia. Bus might be doing us all a favor and buying his client time to cool down.

Scarface
03-03-2009, 10:42 AM

The team requested a sit down with Jay, to which he answered "I don't plan on meeting them any time soon". Well in the real world thats called insubordination. Depending on the temperature @ Dove Valley that could easily lead to them making a rash decision and trading his client to Detroit or some other form of Siberia. Bus might be doing us all a favor and buying his client time to cool down.

Technically it is not insubordination since he is not contractually obligated to report to the team until March 16th or whatever for mini camps. He has every right not to show up right now. Why doesn't McRat grab some cheese and a plane ticket and go see Jay?

Northman
03-03-2009, 10:44 AM

I only disagree in the sense that there is no purpose to go in there angry. They wont accomplish anything that way. Let the dust settle and then go and hack it out.

Dortoh
03-03-2009, 10:44 AM

That is not good.......not good at all

TheDave
03-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Technically it is not insubordination since he is not contractually obligated to report to the team until March 16th or whatever for mini camps. He has every right not to show up right now. Why doesn't McRat grab some cheese and a plane ticket and go see Jay?

I don't know about that... I've been called into work by the boss before. Never tried the "I don't plan on meeting with you anytime soon" angle. But i'm pretty sure if i had there would be one additional entry on my resume.

Regardless, I know this isn't the real world here... my point is, Bus is probably doing us a favor by simply extending this time out.

Kaylore
03-03-2009, 10:46 AM

That's what bothers me the most. Not that he'd get traded but that he'd refuse to meet and discuss things. Aside from a lack of maturity, it suggests he's refusing to play along. We need someone who buys in.

Cutler6MVP
03-03-2009, 10:48 AM
I miss Plummer

claymore
03-03-2009, 10:52 AM
I miss Plummer

Yeah he would have handled this with class. :rolleyes:

TheDave
03-03-2009, 10:53 AM
That's what bothers me the most. Not that he'd get traded but that he'd refuse to meet and discuss things. Aside from a lack of maturity, it suggests he's refusing to play along. We need someone who buys in.

Keep this in mind... Some of the personality quirks of jays that make this situation more difficult than it needs to be are the same ones that allow him to live under elways Shadow. I think this guy truly believes he the G.O.A.T.

Under certian circumstances that is a great attitude to have. Now... not so much.

I think Jay will buy in right now he needs time to settle down.

Watchthemiddle
03-03-2009, 10:54 AM

100% agree with you.

To me, this is a way of Jay getting his point across that he never liked this hire to begin with. No one was going to listen to him before if he spoke out about, but now he has ammo and can play the "victim" roll if anyone is listening to it anymore.

How can Jay keep blaming the Broncos and McDaniels if he is not even willing to listen to what they have to say? I understand being upset, but there comes a time where you need to man up and have a sit down. Jay could have looked like the Saint he is claimed to be by all of his followers and those who could care less about him if he would have handled this correctly. Now he just looks like the PUNK some of knew he was to begin with, and confirming that to his followers.

Northman
03-03-2009, 10:57 AM

That goes both ways though Khan. If McD is entertaining offers to trade than that comes across like McD has no faith in Jay.

Buff
03-03-2009, 10:57 AM

As someone else pointed out, he's technically not obligated to come in, so it's not really insubordination... But what rubbed me the wrong way, was how he insisted on pointing this out to the media-- It's not insubordination, but it is grandstanding and an attempt at one-upsmanship (as I've said in other threads)... And that's not cool.

So at the end of the day, both sides should be able to admit they handled this poorly. McD wasn't really up front with anyone, and insulted Jay's intelligence with his statement to the media... And then Jay threw a tantrum and threw his team under the bus in the media. Now it's time to move on and trade Brandon Marshall.

Kaylore
03-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Keep this in mind... Some of the personality quirks of jays that make this situation more difficult than it needs to be are the same ones that allow him to live under elways Shadow. I think this guy truly believes he the G.O.A.T.

Under certian circumstances that is a great attitude to have. Now... not so much.

I think Jay will buy in right now he needs time to settle down.

I don't mind it. But if it doesn't work with the new regime, it doesn't work. I hope that it does. If Cutler would just set his ego aside for one year and give this thing a fair shake he'd see that there's potential for real good here. McDaniels told him he'd make the defense a priority and he has. If guys like Brian Dawkins are drinking the kool-aid, then why can't Cutler give the guy a shot? Why does he have to get all defensive over every change?

And he needs to quit hitting the sauce before games...

TheDave
03-03-2009, 10:59 AM
100% agree with you.

To me, this is a way of Jay getting his point across that he never liked this hire to begin with. No one was going to listen to him before if he spoke out about, but now he has ammo and can play the "victim" roll if anyone is listening to it anymore.

How can Jay keep blaming the Broncos and McDaniels if he is not even willing to listen to what they have to say? I understand being upset, but there comes a time where you need to man up and have a sit down. Jay could have looked like the Saint he is claimed to be by all of his followers and those who could care less about him if he would have handled this correctly. Now he just looks like the PUNK some of knew he was to begin with, and confirming that to his followers.

I agree with you... though I'm a little creeped out by the use of the term "Followers" ;)

Keep this in mind we are pretty spoiled here on the internets. Everything is about instant gratification. If these two take a week or two to calm down and let FA play out... does it reall matter if their sit down happens now or middle of March?

claymore
03-03-2009, 11:00 AM
100% agree with you.

He can Blame them cause they initiated the problem we see today.

Sending Bus cook is a good thing. Thats what he gets paid for, and he has Cutlers interest at heart. And Cutler obviously trusts him.

Bus can go in there and talk without emotions to the Broncos. And the Broncos can talk without hurting feelings.....

Bus Cook can then go and tell Jay whatever they said in a PC way.

Easiest way to fix this is a contract extension with someof this extra cap room we have., Doubtr it would happen, but that would re commit both sides and he then would truly be Josh Mcdaniels Boy and not Shannahans.

CoachChaz
03-03-2009, 11:01 AM
As someone else pointed out, he's technically not obligated to come in, so it's not really insubordination... But what rubbed me the wrong way, was how he insisted on pointing this out to the media-- It's not insubordination, but it is grandstanding and an attempt at one-upsmanship (as I've said in other threads)... And that's not cool.

So at the end of the day, both sides should be able to admit they handled this poorly. McD wasn't really up front with anyone, and insulted Jay's intelligence with his statement to the media... And then Jay threw a tantrum and threw his team under the bus in the media. Now it's time to move on and trade Brandon Marshall.

I think that is an issue I'm beginning to fear. Everyone seems to have the assumption that McD is sending some bad message to the team, but what about Jay? Yeah, he probably has Marshall and Sheffler in his pocket, but this is the guy that wears the "C" on his jersey. What does a professional like graham or Bailey, etc. think? Regardless of what did or didnt happen in the office, Jay is NOT acting like a leader and may not be maintaining too many friends on the team but acting this way. Just a possibility that needs to be considered by him

Watchthemiddle
03-03-2009, 11:02 AM
He can Blame them cause they initiated the problem we see today.

Do we know that for sure? I have not seen any of these other teams involved say the Broncos initiated anything, nor have I seen any reports, articles, quotes by the Broncos stating they initiated this.

SOCALORADO.
03-03-2009, 11:02 AM
I don't mind it. But if it doesn't work with the new regime, it doesn't work. I hope that it does. If Cutler would just set his ego aside for one year and give this thing a fair shake he'd see that there's potential for real good here. McDaniels told him he'd make the defense a priority and he has. If guys like Brian Dawkins are drinking the kool-aid, then why can't Cutler give the guy a shot? Why does he have to get all defensive over every change?

Is the mane down?

Foochacho
03-03-2009, 11:04 AM

That is not good.......not good at all

If I was McDaniels I would ship his ass out. Calling your head coach a liar and refusing to speak with him. What a bitch.

When this all first started going down I was thinking "McDaniels you son of a bitch" but as of now it is clear that Jay is looking to much into this and being a little girl.

There is nothing wrong with fielding trade calls even if it is for Cutler. I would trade Cutler for the right price. Jay didn't get traded and all his crying is making things worse. He is 25 years old time to grow up and be a man.

Watchthemiddle
I think that is an issue I'm beginning to fear. Everyone seems to have the assumption that McD is sending some bad message to the team, but what about Jay? Yeah, he probably has Marshall and Sheffler in his pocket, but this is the guy that wears the "C" on his jersey. What does a professional like graham or Bailey, etc. think? Regardless of what did or didnt happen in the office, Jay is NOT acting like a leader and may not be maintaining too many friends on the team but acting this way. Just a possibility that needs to be considered by him

Graham and Bailey know this is a business and are professionals. Thats what cracks me up. WHen a player is going for more money and seeing what they can get out of teams its a "business". But when they are on the trading block or in trade talks, the team is at fault, is backstabbing, and liers. FUnny how when it benifits the players its a business, but when it benifits the team is jacked up and wrong.

TheDave

They just tried to trade him for an inferior talent 2 days ago... So what if it takes him a week to cool down. Yeah it's immature, but so was I at 25.

In all honesty my bigger concern is the front office that isn't buying into Cutler. Do they know something we don't?

Kaylore
03-03-2009, 11:05 AM
That goes both ways though Khan. If McD is entertaining offers to trade than that comes across like McD has no faith in Jay.

No it doesn't. It tells me no one is safe on the team and he's willing to listen to any offers for any players if he feels he can upgrade the team. That's the way it should be. I understand why he'd take it personally and be upset, but he needs to set his feelings aside and understand it's a business and McDaniels will look at everything. And remember, HE WASN'T TRADED. It didn't happen!

McDaniels shouldn't have lied to him, and if they did then that's the one gripe I think Cutler deserves an apology for. I don't think he deserves an apology or coddling because he was discussed in a trade, though.

claymore
03-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Do we know that for sure? I have not seen any of these other teams involved say the Broncos initiated anything, nor have I seen any reports, articles, quotes by the Broncos stating they initiated this.

Initiated was a poor word for me to use. But the Broncos were directley responsible for this issue. Jay didnt start this.

Kaylore
03-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Initiated was a poor word for me to use. But the Broncos were directley responsible for this issue. Jay didnt start this.
Jay can decide whether he wants to get upset over things he has no control over for himself. McDaniels and Xanders don't make people throw tantrums.

Watchthemiddle
03-03-2009, 11:08 AM

I can't argue with that, but when the coach comes out and specifically says Jay is our guy and we are not looking to trade him and many other reports are saying that the Broncos were contacted by other teams, then this shoudl have all been squashed and could have been. I am not in disagreement that the Broncos initially might have handled this wrong, but now that they are trying to make a mends, Jay is keeping it going and not helping matters.

TheDave
03-03-2009, 11:09 AM
If I was McDaniels I would ship his ass out. Calling your head coach a liar and refusing to speak with him. What a bitch.

When this all first started going down I was thinking "McDaniels you son of a bitch" but as of now it is clear that Jay is looking to much into this and being a little girl.

There is nothing wrong with fielding trade calls even if it is for Cutler. I would trade Cutler for the right price. Jay didn't get traded and all his crying is making things worse. He is 25 years old time to grow up and be a man.

Yeah thats mature... Let's ship his bitch ass out!!!

And then we can start the joy of rebuilding EVERYTHING. Hey maybe we could get lucky and go 1-15 next year and have a shot at Tebow.

No thanks, let the dust settle, and see if we can't patch this thing up.

Northman
03-03-2009, 11:10 AM
No it doesn't. It tells me no one is safe on the team and he's willing to listen to any offers for any players if he feels he can upgrade the team. That's the way it should be. I understand why he'd take it personally and be upset, but he needs to set his feelings aside and understand it's a business and McDaniels will look at everything. And remember, HE WASN'T TRADED. It didn't happen!

McDaniels shouldn't have lied to him, and if they did then that's the one gripe I think Cutler deserves an apology for. I don't think he deserves an apology or coddling because he was discussed in a trade, though.

All very true except my problem is McD not being up front about it. And i think that is what stings Jay the most.

haroldthebarrel
03-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Regardless of what has transpired or not.

I am certain both the front office and Cutler do get some view on things from the media and sites like this.
So regardless who of they threw tantrums, I do think if we as fans want Cutler back lets bygones be bygones and support the team instead of the endless tantrums directed at Cutler or the FO.

Den21vsBal19
03-03-2009, 11:11 AM
May I respectfully suggest that Pat bangs their heads together, and makes them sit in the 'naughty' corner until they start talking :tsk:

TheDave
03-03-2009, 11:12 AM

I don't disagree with the overall tone of you post, but how can an attempt to trade Cutler for Cassel straight up be anything but a vote of no confidence. It's not like they were getting other players and/or musltiple picks.

Flatinum
03-03-2009, 11:12 AM

Like I said "If true".

The way Baby Jay is acting there's a good chance it is.

CoachChaz
03-03-2009, 11:13 AM
All very true except my problem is McD not being up front about it. And i think that is what stings Jay the most.

What part of "we were contacted with offers for Jay, but declined them." is not being up front about it? Should they have got on the phone with Jay IMMEDIATELY after they declined and said, "Hey Jay...guess what"? That's just ridiculous...especially considering how easy it was to get Jay to talk with McDaniels after he was hired.

turftoad
03-03-2009, 11:14 AM

What do Graham and Bailey think. I don't know for sure but I bet they want Jay to QB thier team no matter what. I'm sure the rest of the team feels the same way.
This may be a business but it's also team and a brotherhood. These guys work hard together every day and are trying to accomplish the same thing. To mess with that is just well, messed up.

Cutler has already earned the trust and respect from his teammates over the last three years. Earning trust and respect doesn't happen over night.

Josh McDaniels has earned neither so far from his team. He needs to understand that.
If, in fact, he did initiate these trade talks, his chance of allianated himself from the players on the team has risen.
So much for earning the trust and respect from your employees.

Foochacho
03-03-2009, 11:14 AM
They just tried to trade him for an inferior talent 2 days ago... So what if it takes him a week to cool down. Yeah it's immature, but so was I at 25.

In all honesty my bigger concern is the front office that isn't buying into Cutler. Do they know something we don't?

The trade didn't happen so who says that we even flirted with the idea of trading Jay for Cassel straight up. Maybe, we were just listening to what was on the table what about Cassel and a first that would be something to think about. Maybe we were looking for more and it was never offered. We have alot of holes to fill on D with another first we could move up for raji, move down for more picks, or stay were we are with 2 good first round picks and a qb who knows the system. Any trade offer is worth listening to.

claymore
03-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Jay can decide whether he wants to get upset over things he has no control over for himself. McDaniels and Xanders don't make people throw tantrums.

And he isnt. McDaniels is being a douche.

Northman
03-03-2009, 11:16 AM
What part of "we were contacted with offers for Jay, but declined them." is not being up front about it? Should they have got on the phone with Jay IMMEDIATELY after they declined and said, "Hey Jay...guess what"? That's just ridiculous...especially considering how easy it was to get Jay to talk with McDaniels after he was hired.

When i say up front, i mean from the word go. Meaning, McD should made it quite clear that NO ONE is safe and if someone comes up with a trade senario we will listen. At that point no one including Jay could have anything to gripe about. Furthermore, your still in belief that all that happened is they took a call and never actually entertained the idea. I just happen to believe Cutler over McD. But the truth is neither one of us knows exactly what happened but have you even considered that YOU might be wrong in this?

turftoad
03-03-2009, 11:17 AM

We don't know for sure if he was contacted or if he did indeed DO the contacting.
Jay must have some inside info because he thinks McBozo did the contacting. If this is true, I don't blame him for being upset.

CoachChaz
03-03-2009, 11:17 AM
What do Graham and Bailey think. I don't know for sure but I bet they want Jay to QB thier team no matter what. I'm sure the rest of the team feels the same way.
This may be a business but it's also team and a brotherhood. These guys work hard together every day and are trying to accomplish the same thing. To mess with that is just well, messed up.

Cutler has already earned the trust and respect from his teammates over the last three years. Earning trust and respect doesn't happen over night.

Josh McDaniels has earned neither so far from his team. He needs to understand that.
If, in fact, he did initiate these trade talks, his chance of allianated himself from the players on the team has risen.
So much for earning the trust and respect from your employees.

I think ANY player in the NFL today will tell you they know it's a business and they know they can be out the door the next day. Just take a look at the way Derrick Brooks handled his release with class and dignity.

As far as earining respect...that's a pretty big assumption. Without being in the locker room, we'll never know how the team feels about Jay unless they state it publicly. has anyone done that?

Cugel
03-03-2009, 11:18 AM
I'm personally tired of hearing about it. Jay is not going anywhere. McD isn't going anywhere. Jay needs to quit being a pansy, man up, and play football.

Unfortunately, he doesn't "need" to do anything of the sort. :coffee:

McDaniels needs Cutler. He has no other QB. Cutler does not need McDaniels. He can pout and force a trade to Detroit.

Then the Broncos would take Matt Stafford with the #1 overall pick, and have to pay him over $20 million.

Then the team goes 6-10 on the season with a rookie QB learning a new system. And the fans go beserk hating McDaniels and the south stands are screaming at him every home game. It would be very ugly.

Next season MAYBE you'd have a good QB but then what happens to Brandon Marshall? He'll be a FA and it's not looking like the Broncos want to sign him to a long-term contract. But, he's also the most talented WR the Broncos have had since a young Rod Smith and maybe more talented (but NOT as responsible or hard-working).

Without him the offense lacks an explosive play-maker who was a key to the Broncos success last year. They won't be able to replace his talent any more than they can Jay's.

As for Jay, Detroit is where careers go to die.

Some of Cutler's close friends have encouraged him to stay out of the spotlight for now, for fear he might talk himself into a trade to a team such as Detroit, which went 0-16.

Truer words were never spoken. :coffee:

The fact is that with Jay & Brandon and a few better players on defense the Broncos would at least be mediocre. They face a horrible schedule against teams like the Steelers, Pats & Giants, Eagles & Cowboys. But, at least they'd have a reasonable chance at a winning season.

Last year they went 8-8 with a much easier schedule, but with the worst defense in the NFL. This year with maybe some better defensive coaching, the addition of a few good FAs (they're not done there by any means) and perhaps a RB FA or in the draft they could put together a much better team.

Whether that would be enough to win any more games against the NFL's elite teams would be another question, but it would be progress.

Now this crap with Jay! :tsk:

Someone said that Jay is a "coach-killer" and "coach-killers" get traded. Well, if you screw up so badly that you alienate your franchise QB and have nobody to replace him Jay might be a "coach-killer" anyway! If McDaniels causes the Broncos to have a couple of losing seasons because he lost his franchise QB and couldn't find another in time, then he WILL be fired.

Pat Bowlen isn't going to cut McDaniels any slack. He made this mess and he has to resolve it. That's part of the job.

Imaginary Conversation:

Bowlen: "Well, it's not what I would have done, but if you and Brian Xanders are absolutely SURE that Matt Cassel is the answer, I won't stop you from trading Jay. But, you'd better be right about this -- or else. If you screw up the offense by trading our QB and don't make this work, you're going to have the shortest career of any head coach in Broncos history."

McDaniels: "No worries Pat. I coached Cassel in New England and he's a perfect manager for the type of offense I want to run. He brings me coffee and donuts with those little sprinkles on the top, and he always remembers where I've left my pen. He's smart as a whip."

Xanders: "Well, I'm not convinced this is such a great idea. I'm vetoing the trade."

Bowlen: "If you two don't agree , then I'm afraid we can't go ahead with this move."

McDaniels: "Uh, oh! Now I hope Jay doesn't find out about this because I guess we're going to have to rely on him now."

Xanders: "Well, I'M certainly not going to tell him! How will he ever know unless you blab?"

McDaniels: "Yeah. You're right. He'll never find out if we just keep quiet about it." :listen:

TheDave

See, there's the confusion. Multiple sources have said the talks were far enough along that Tampa felt they had a deal in place. That's a lot more than just thinking about it then declining. Additionally how would multiple teams know to contact the broncos and offer similiar paramiters.

I have a very hard time believing that there wasn't an honest attempt to trade Jay.

claymore
I can't argue with that, but when the coach comes out and specifically says Jay is our guy and we are not looking to trade him and many other reports are saying that the Broncos were contacted by other teams, then this shoudl have all been squashed and could have been. I am not in disagreement that the Broncos initially might have handled this wrong, but now that they are trying to make a mends, Jay is keeping it going and not helping matters.

He could have squashed this whole thing allot better than he did. I also believe his actions hurt us on future FA signings.

CoachChaz
03-03-2009, 11:19 AM
We don't know for sure if he was contacted or if he did indeed DO the contacting.
Jay must have some inside info because he thinks McBozo did the contacting. If this is true, I don't blame him for being upset.

Don't you think a team would step up and maybe say, "Hold on...we never called Denver about Jay...they called us."

Or maybe one of these "sources close to the situation" would have something to say.

haroldthebarrel

Well when other people take decisions about where I am going to live and work I sure as hell would appreciate that they have me in the picture as much as possible.

But is this discussion really important?
What do we really want?

I want and hope Cutler to come back to the team and finish his career here.
I hope McD can be a great coach here.

But the way this thing is going is its getting blown way out of proportions and when that happens people are just angry but they dont really know what they are angry about or how it really started.

I dont care about Cutler being immature. He should be at age 25 with the weight of an entire state and more on his shoulders.
I dont care about McD doing a rookie mistake. Every rookies do them.

But at some point everybody has to forgive and forget and move on. Otherwise this will be blown way out of proportions and then there is no way cutler, McD and the fans can coexist.

NightTrainLayne

Exactly. How an individual reacts to a situation or to someone else, is all about that individual. McDaniels actions didn't make Jay blow up, Jay did that on his own. This is a key to growing up. You can't control other people and what they do, or situations you run into in life, but you can control your own behavior and your own reactions. One of the best measures of a man is how he controls himself when something like this happens.

TheDave
03-03-2009, 11:22 AM
See this is exactly why a cooling off period is good for both sides...

Within a couple of pages this turns into a McDaniels V Cutler brawl... and we are just fans of the team. Imagine what would happen if Cutler and McDaniels and their massive egos got in the same room today.

Kaylore
03-03-2009, 11:22 AM
I don't disagree with the overall tone of you post but how can an attempt to trade Cutler for Cassel straight up be anything but a vote of no confidence. It's not like they were getting other players and/or musltiple picks.

The report was is it was Cutler for Cassel and a first round pick. Figuring McDaniels thinks Cassel is a franchise QB then Cutler is worth that and a mid first.

Now that said, I see your point. No one getting traded is going to think "golly! I'm so touched I'm worth a franchise QB AND a first" and I'm not suggesting that's how Cutler ought to look at this.

What I'm saying is rather than going James Dean and look at it like "They don't want me! I'll never play for them again!" look at what actually happened: A lot of other teams wanted him, and ultimately the Broncos said no and decided to go with him. Or better yet, take the perspective that this is a business, no job is safe and accept that there are things about his career he has no control over and all he can do is play his best on game day because he's really playing for the 31 other teams in the league every down.

CoachChaz
03-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Taking the scenario for face value and having been there, I can say I dont know that Jay is the type of person I'd want covering my ass in a stressful situation. I've been in combat situations with kids much younger than Jay, so let's please put the maturity excuse to rest. If an 18 year old can save my life and stay cool doing it, then a 25 year old millionaire can sure as shit act like an adult in a business matter.

I think it's plausible that a few teammates may feel the same way

haroldthebarrel
03-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Taking the scenario for face value and having been there, I can say I dont know that Jay is the type of person I'd want covering my ass in a stressful situation. I've been in combat situations with kids much younger than Jay, so let's please put the maturity excuse to rest. If an 18 year old can save my life and stay cool doing it, then a 25 year old millionaire can sure as shit act like an adult in a business matter.

true. But that is why they are athletes with huge egos.
The very importance of boot camps is to get rid of the egos, break them down and build them up again.
To me it is more like a 25 year old is suddenly given the rank of a major or colonel. I wouldnt really want a 25 year old colonel to lead me into battle.
I dont think the analogy fits, but you are entitled to it.

In a perfect world though, how would you hope this should end?
And how do you think it will end?

Northman
03-03-2009, 11:29 AM

Not sure thats really the best comparison to make. Military guys are a lot different than athletes who have had pretty much anything handed to them since high school.

TheDave
03-03-2009, 11:30 AM
The report was is it was Cutler for Cassel and a first round pick. Figuring McDaniels thinks Cassel is a franchise QB then Cutler is worth that and a mid first.

Now that said, I see your point. No one getting traded is going to think "golly! I'm so touched I'm worth a franchise QB AND a first" and I'm not suggesting that's how Cutler ought to look at this.

What I'm saying is rather than going James Dean and look at it like "They don't want me! I'll never play for them again!" look at what actually happened: A lot of other teams wanted him, and ultimately the Broncos said no and decided to go with him. Or better yet, take the perspective that this is a business, no job is safe and accept that there are things about his career he has no control over and all he can do is play his best on game day because he's really playing for the 31 other teams in the league every down.

Just a point of clarification... I beleive the trade with Tampa was:

Jay Cutler + #12

for...

Matt Cassel + #19 + 3rd rounder

IMO that a straight up deal.

As far as the rest of your post I completely agree, and wish he would shrug this off. I think he will... It's just taking a little longer than we would like.

TheDave
03-03-2009, 11:32 AM

Sorry, but i don't see any correlation to an 18 year old on a battlefield and this situation.

CoachChaz
03-03-2009, 11:32 AM
I know it's not the best analogy, but I still dont think there is an excuse for a 25 year old to act this way. It just tells me that someone along the way failed him. His parents, coaches, someone.

CoachChaz
03-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Sorry, but i don't see any correlation to an 18 year old on a battlefield and this situation.

Well, no one that thinks Jay is right will see that, but I'll try to explain by saying there are tons of 18 year olds in much more stressful situations that are acting much more mature than Jay is in this one.

claymore
03-03-2009, 11:34 AM
I know it's not the best analogy, but I still dont think there is an excuse for a 25 year old to act this way. It just tells me that someone along the way failed him. His parents, coaches, someone.

Just a thought, but could you imagine how Elaway would have took this? He had a larger Ego than Cutler IMO. But mellowed and grew up over the years.

TheDave
03-03-2009, 11:35 AM

I understand what you are saying, but that ego that is making this situation difficult is the same one that allows him to live under John Elways shadow without giving a damn.

There are good and bad things that come with massive egos'... right now we are experiencing the bad.

Cugel
03-03-2009, 11:35 AM

This is just not the real world. Too bad if you don't like Jay's behavior. :coffee:

As Jay's agent said: "If they trade him to Detroit, then who's their QB."

You people just don't get this! Denver simply CANNOT REPLACE the talent of Jay Cutler in a reasonable amount of time.

While it might give you some stupid satisfaction to say "Bye-bye Jay you cry-baby, who needs you anyway!" You'll be singing a different tune when the team goes 5-11 with some crap QB! :coffee:

How long do you think it takes for a rookie QB to learn to play in the NFL? Three years. That's how long it took Jay to get to the pro-bowl. And it would take Matt Stafford or Mark Sanchez equally long -- IF they ever got there and drafting a QB is a crap shoot.

Oh and FA? Good luck with that! That's how Jon Gruden lost his job! They tried every FA QB they could find and what was the result? He got fired.

And the Bears? Same thing! The Rams? Yup! The Lions! Them too. Get a crap QB and watch the team tank. Then get fired. That's what happens to coaches who can't find a franchise QB. They lose games and then get fired.

And getting some aging guy like Kerry Collins or Kurt Warner who has a good year might buy you an extra year. But you still need that long-term franchise QB you can just put in for 10 years and let him play. Like Peyton and Eli and Phillip Rivers and Roethlisberger. Like possibly Joe Flacco or Matt Staub (don't argue with me, I know the jury's still out on them). But, that guy isn't easy to find.

There are about 10 teams in the NFL who have franchise QBs and and that leaves 22 teams who wish they did and are still looking for their guy. And they have to make do with a QB like Sage Rosenfells or Kyle Boller or Brian Griese or Rex Grossman, etc., etc. A lot of good teams have never made it (perfect example: the Bears) because they couldn't find that QB.

And, as a result, pretty good coaches like Brian Billick, and Jon Gruden who've won SBs get fired.

McDaniels has 2 years to turn this thing around before Bowlen loses patience with him. ESPECIALLY if the offense struggles because he screwed up and lost his franchise QB! Pat isn't going to say "sure! I'll give you an extra year to prove yourself because you screwed up and got into a big fight with Jay and had to trade him and then you couldn't find anybody else as good, so the team lost 10 games this year!" He'll be gone! Just like Eric Mangini and Romeo Crennel before him -- both promising Belichek assistants who didn't pan out as head-coaches. :coffee:

haroldthebarrel
03-03-2009, 11:36 AM

a 25 year old who have houndreds of thousands of people depending of him for their own hobby and leisure. All these emotions tied up largely into one man.
Getting diabetes. Loosing his HC and favorite coach.
Then having to move to another place.

I dont know how well I could handle this today. And I am eight years older.

Regardless, I hope they can mend their fences.
And isnt that what we all hope?

CoachChaz
03-03-2009, 11:38 AM
a 25 year old who have houndreds of thousands of people depending of him for their own hobby and leisure. All these emotions tied up largely into one man.
Getting diabetes. Loosing his HC and favorite coach.
Then having to move to another place.

I dont know how well I could handle this today. And I am eight years older.

Regardless, I hope they can mend their fences.
And isnt that what we all hope?

As opposed to an 18 year old with millions of people depending on him for their safety while facing the possibility of dying in a country they wouldnt look at on a map or vacation in...let alone fight in.

The point being...he's 25. Do we have to deal with this til he's 30?

Northman
03-03-2009, 11:39 AM

Probably true, but that happens a lot with NFL players. Its not like Jay is the first to have maturity issues in the NFL. Also throw in the fact that he hasnt any real veteran leadership to support and guide him. The one guy that was around told him to LOOK OUT FOR HIMSELF so he hasnt had the luxury of some of the other guys in the league.

CoachChaz
03-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Probably true, but that happens a lot with NFL players. Its not like Jay is the first to have maturity issues in the NFL. Also throw in the fact that he hasnt any real veteran leadership to support and guide him. The one guy that was around told him to LOOK OUT FOR HIMSELF so he hasnt had the luxury of some of the other guys in the league.

...and I can understand that to a certain degree. That's why I reiterate that I cant sit here and say the team is wrong in what they did because I dont know. But I do know Jay could handle the situation alot better than he has...regardless of what the truths are.

TheDave
03-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Well, no one that thinks Jay is right will see that, but I'll try to explain by saying there are tons of 18 year olds in much more stressful situations that are acting much more mature than Jay is in this one.

Actually I think they are both wrong...

claymore
03-03-2009, 11:44 AM
...and I can understand that to a certain degree. That's why I reiterate that I cant sit here and say the team is wrong in what they did because I dont know. But I do know Jay could handle the situation alot better than he has...regardless of what the truths are.

He could also handle it allot worse. He is the team leader, he cant look like a puss or a company man right now.

MadMax
03-03-2009, 11:45 AM
As opposed to an 18 year old with millions of people depending on him for their safety while facing the possibility of dying in a country they wouldnt look at on a map or vacation in...let alone fight in.

The point being...he's 25. Do we have to deal with this til he's 30?

I'm sorry coach but its a bad analogy, I've been there too. First that 18 year old is doing what he's trained to do. Just like Cutler is expected to perform on the field. Second, I'll sleep like a baby with that 18 year old guarding my perimeter in Mosul, but I'll have a sleepless night the first time I give that same 18 year old a weekend pass and set him loose in Hattiesburg Mississippi.

Fact of the matter is, I expect Jay to perform on the field, but off the field, thats what coaches, and agents and gm's are supposed to handle.

CoachChaz
03-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Actually I think they are both wrong...

Well, until I hear more info or fact about what happened behind closed doors, all I can do is speculate based on common sense.

Jay is putting his laundry right out there for everyone to see.

underrated29
Who cares how cutler is reacting. Yeah he has every right to be pissed. To go whine and everything else no, not really, but so what....That is who he is. And the sport and wins and losses are not decided about how he responds verbally to stupid situations......Its how he responds on the field to the tough situations. In that aspect he passes with flying colors.

Jay doesnt rip apart the lockerroom, he is not a cancer, a TO, Ocho Cinco or anything like that...Infact we have heard jay complain before, but he never takes it to the field or in the LR.

When the business starts he shows up and leaves all the crap at the door.

It just baffels me about all this crap about him... He should be pissed, i would be pissed. Maybe he shouldnt have thrown a rant, but so what the whole situation is fubar. And I promise you if the reg season was to start in 2 weeks jay would put this all aside and get his game face on for some football.

Losing Jay would be the single dumbest move we could make, no matter who we get in return. He hasnt even come close to his potential yet, people who dont see that are flat out crazy.

CoachChaz
I'm sorry coach but its a bad analogy, I've been there too. First that 18 year old is doing what he's trained to do. Just like Cutler is expected to perform on the field. Second, I'll sleep like a baby with that 18 year old guarding my perimeter in Mosul, but I'll have a sleepless night the first time I give that same 18 year old a weekend pass and set him loose in Hattiesburg Mississippi.

Fact of the matter is, I expect Jay to perform on the field, but off the field, thats what coaches, and agents and gm's are supposed to handle.

Would you mind letting jay know this?

Northman
03-03-2009, 11:50 AM
All i know is in the Super Bowl against the Niners John had a bad game and he hung his head a lot in that game. And that was his 7th year in the league at that point. It doesnt mean that Jay is of John's calibur as a Qb but it shows me the guy actually gives a damn when he doesnt play well or he makes a play that didnt go his way. But when Jay gets back on the field he still goes at it 100% and never shows fear of trying to make the play. And in a lot of ways like John that day Jay hasnt had the type of supporting cast to alleviate some of the pressure that comes with that position. Should Jay learn to hold in his emotions more? Probably. But like i said, the guy wears his heart on his sleeve and he wants to succeed in Denver. So when word comes out (whether he's right or wrong) it just makes Jay feel like he isnt wanted or that he cant be the guy for the new Coach. And for a guy who just finished having one of the best years in his career and being in his first Pro Bowl i can see where some of his anger and resentment might come into play. This whole thing is a mess and i hope that somehow this bridge can be fixed.

claymore
03-03-2009, 11:52 AM
All i know is in the Super Bowl against the Niners John had a bad game and he hung his head a lot in that game. And that was his 7th year in the league at that point. It doesnt mean that Jay is of John's calibur as a Qb but it shows me the guy actually gives a damn when he doesnt play well or he makes a play that didnt go his way. But when Jay gets back on the field he still goes at it 100% and never shows fear of trying to make the play. And in a lot of ways like John that day Jay hasnt had the type of supporting cast to alleviate some of the pressure that comes with that position. Should Jay learn to hold in his emotions more? Probably. But like i said, the guy wears his heart on his sleeve and he wants to succeed in Denver. So when word comes out (whether he's right or wrong) it just makes Jay feel like he isnt wanted or that he cant be the guy for the new Coach. And for a guy who just finished having one of the best years in his career and being in his first Pro Bowl i can see where some of his anger and resentment might come into play. This whole thing is a mess and i hope that somehow this bridge can be fixed.Contract extension.

MadMax
03-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Would you mind letting jay know this?

I guess the point most people agree with is that both sides could be handling this better. That being said I expect my HC and my GM to know how to handle the ego's of their players. After all that's the reason they say college coaches can't handle the pros, they're used to giving orders while in the pros you have to be able to swallow your pride and baby a player's ego every now and then.

McD's biggest problem was being inconsistent if he wants to keep the media and the players in the dark, then he should have never commented to Bus Cook or the media in the first place. You can't tell Bus there was no trade then cut off contact with him and then after everythings gotten out tell the media that they were just inquiries (from three different teams and coincidentally all within hours of each other).

CoachChaz
03-03-2009, 12:01 PM
I guess the point most people agree with is that both sides could be handling this better. That being said I expect my HC and my GM to know how to handle the ego's of their players. After all that's the reason they say college coaches can't handle the pros, they're used to giving orders while in the pros you have to be able to swallow your pride and baby a player's ego every now and then.

McD's biggest problem was being inconsistent if he wants to keep the media and the players in the dark, then he should have never commented to Bus Cook or the media in the first place. You can't tell Bus there was no trade then cut off contact with him and then after everythings gotten out tell the media that they were just inquiries (from three different teams and coincidentally all within hours of each other).

I'm not saying things were handles perfectly and there is probably alot of assumptions and miscommunication happening on both sides. I just want Jay to shut up and talk about it. Not to me, not to the media, but with his coach and GM.

bcbronc
03-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Just a thought, but could you imagine how Elaway would have took this? He had a larger Ego than Cutler IMO. But mellowed and grew up over the years.

ya, imagine if Elway was still here and we drafted a QB in the first round. he'd probably blow a gasket. unfortunately, that was before NFLN and the interwebs, so I don't actually recall how Elway handled that.

This is just not the real world. Too bad if you don't like Jay's behavior. :coffee:

As Jay's agent said: "If they trade him to Detroit, then who's their QB."

You people just don't get this! Denver simply CANNOT REPLACE the talent of Jay Cutler in a reasonable amount of time.

While it might give you some stupid satisfaction to say "Bye-bye Jay you cry-baby, who needs you anyway!" You'll be singing a different tune when the team goes 5-11 with some crap QB! :coffee:

How long do you think it takes for a rookie QB to learn to play in the NFL? Three years. That's how long it took Jay to get to the pro-bowl. And it would take Matt Stafford or Mark Sanchez equally long -- IF they ever got there and drafting a QB is a crap shoot.

Oh and FA? Good luck with that! That's how Jon Gruden lost his job! They tried every FA QB they could find and what was the result? He got fired.

And the Bears? Same thing! The Rams? Yup! The Lions! Them too. Get a crap QB and watch the team tank. Then get fired. That's what happens to coaches who can't find a franchise QB. They lose games and then get fired.

And getting some aging guy like Kerry Collins or Kurt Warner who has a good year might buy you an extra year. But you still need that long-term franchise QB you can just put in for 10 years and let him play. Like Peyton and Eli and Phillip Rivers and Roethlisberger. Like possibly Joe Flacco or Matt Staub (don't argue with me, I know the jury's still out on them). But, that guy isn't easy to find.

There are about 10 teams in the NFL who have franchise QBs and and that leaves 22 teams who wish they did and are still looking for their guy. And they have to make do with a QB like Sage Rosenfells or Kyle Boller or Brian Griese or Rex Grossman, etc., etc. A lot of good teams have never made it (perfect example: the Bears) because they couldn't find that QB.

And, as a result, pretty good coaches like Brian Billick, and Jon Gruden who've won SBs get fired.

McDaniels has 2 years to turn this thing around before Bowlen loses patience with him. ESPECIALLY if the offense struggles because he screwed up and lost his franchise QB! Pat isn't going to say "sure! I'll give you an extra year to prove yourself because you screwed up and got into a big fight with Jay and had to trade him and then you couldn't find anybody else as good, so the team lost 10 games this year!" He'll be gone! Just like Eric Mangini and Romeo Crennel before him -- both promising Belichek assistants who didn't pan out as head-coaches. :coffee:

so what are you suggesting? that Cutler get a veto on any and all moves made by the organization? that Bowlen make pleasing Cutler the first and only priority? that all phone conversations are recorded and sent to Jay so he stays in the loop.

yeah, he's a damn good young qb. but he hasn't done in 3 years what Cassel did in his first year starting since high school--win 10 games. No doubt it would be a gamble that could blow up in McD's face, but you're talking like Pat Bowlen should give Jay the keys to Dove Valley and everyone else should fear the wrath of the Emperor Child. I vote we wait until Jay at least makes a post-season start before we do that.

Cugel
03-03-2009, 12:06 PM

This is all pretty obvious.

The point is that this is the NFL. Bowlen expects them to win. Period.

If they want to get rid of Cutler, then they have to convince him they have a plan. And the plan better work. Or else.

No hard feelings. Bowlen will just fire them after 2 seasons if the team doesn't make the playoffs and hire someone else. There are only 32 teams in the NFL and only 3 or 4 coaching vacancies in any one year and a LOT of assistants and even former coaches want the job.

He did it to Wade Phillips and he can do it to Josh McDaniels.

So, McDaniels better get things squared away with his two pro-bowl players Marshall and Cutler. Or he can trade them. But, if he does that it better work out right away. Or he simply won't be here for long.

NFL = Not For Long. :coffee:

claymore
03-03-2009, 12:16 PM
ya, imagine if Elway was still here and we drafted a QB in the first round. he'd probably blow a gasket. unfortunately, that was before NFLN and the interwebs, so I don't actually recall how Elway handled that.

Elway was an 8-9 year vet at that time, and it ended up being a coach killer for Reeves.

claymore
03-03-2009, 12:18 PM

If they want to get rid of Cutler, then they have to convince him they have a plan. And the plan better work. Or else.

No hard feelings. Bowlen will just fire them after 2 seasons if the team doesn't make the playoffs and hire someone else. There are only 32 teams in the NFL and only 3 or 4 coaching vacancies in any one year and a LOT of assistants and even former coaches want the job.

So, McDaniels better get things squared away with his two pro-bowl players Marshall and Cutler. Or he can trade them. But, if he does that it better work out right away. Or he simply won't be here for long.

NFL = Not For Long. :coffee:The problem is if it doesnt work out, it sets us back way further than the Wade Phillips era cause we emerged with Elway as the starter.

Think of where we will be if we lose Cutler, trade Marshall, and their replacements dont work out.

Cugel
03-03-2009, 12:20 PM

Elway gave an interview in which he said "I had a reaction but you couldn't print it." He was not happy at all and he let everybody know it. He had more class than Jay but he was a lot older and more mature and had been around longer by that point (his 9th-10th NFL season I think).

so what are you suggesting? that Cutler get a veto on any and all moves made by the organization? that Bowlen make pleasing Cutler the first and only priority? that all phone conversations are recorded and sent to Jay so he stays in the loop.

yeah, he's a damn good young qb. but he hasn't done in 3 years what Cassel did in his first year starting since high school--win 10 games. No doubt it would be a gamble that could blow up in McD's face, but you're talking like Pat Bowlen should give Jay the keys to Dove Valley and everyone else should fear the wrath of the Emperor Child. I vote we wait until Jay at least makes a post-season start before we do that.

You don't understand. McDaniels can do whatever he wants as long as Xanders agrees. Bowlen will probably back them up if they want to trade Jay. But if they do that they better find someone as good. And how can they do that? :coffee:

A rookie QB, any rookie QB will take 3 years to learn to lead a team in the NFL. That's just reality. A FA QB is a guy some other team let go -- and there's almost always a reason. Usually they've got problems.

Weak arm, slow, no mobility, inferior accuracy, poor decision making, you name it. Shows athletic promise but keeps screwing up when given the chance like Rex Grossman.

At BEST you're getting some guy like Warner or Farve who just wants to play one more year. So, that buys you one year. Then what?

Once in a blue-moon you get amazingly lucky and find a Drew Brees, but there's no Drew Brees on the market this year.

Teams that have to get by with crap QBs lose games. Losing games gets the coach fired.

McDaniels was hired to win now, not three years from now when Matt Stafford or Mark Sanchez is ready to produce. He'll be gone by then just like Shanahan is gone despite having pretty good drafts the last 3 years.

And the Broncos HAD a franchise QB in Cutler. If McDaniels wants to screw up the relationship so he loses control and has to trade Cutler, then he'd better find someone else and start winning games.

Now, does anybody believe he can do that? :coffee:

MadMax
03-03-2009, 12:21 PM

NFL = Not For Long. :coffee:

If Jay Cutler is the next kerry collins or chad pennington maybe I agree with letting a coach get rid of him if he thinks he can do better. If Jay Cutler is the next Elway, then I don't care if McD is the second coming of Vince Lombardi, I don't want him trading Cutler.

You're right whatever he does, McD has at least two probably three years to get results. But I'm not comfortable letting someone who may be out on his butt in three years make a decision which could set the team back ten years.

Den21vsBal19
03-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Contract extension.
Solves most problems ;)

xzn
03-03-2009, 12:44 PM
After reading this whole thread I have to say one thing. I second Claymore's post. The solution is to start talking about a contract extension. Assuming that the team is in fact committed to Jay. Prove it!

My H.S. English teacher back in the late 80s told me, "Time and distance validate perspective."

Perhaps I may be allowed the license to modify that quote to, "Money and security validate commitment."

CoachChaz
03-03-2009, 12:45 PM
I'll talk to him about an extension when he proves he can flourish in the new system.

Shazam!
03-03-2009, 12:53 PM
I was thinking about that in the car today. The way to prove they want Cutler here for a long time is by redoing his contract. It may be the only way they can prove they are committed. I want this worked out ASAP. It has outshone the arrival of Dawkins, the kind of Safety Denver has needed since Lynch's departure... the desperate need for standard, leadership and example.

BCJ
03-03-2009, 01:02 PM

I am not sure this is what will happen. The Broncos front office could be hard headed and not be able to admit that they should make the first peace offering and fly out to Nashville. They might be more egotistical and just trade him to show how all mighty they can be. One bad weekend with this and Marshall our resident Flava Clown.

xzn
03-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Coach, with respect for the solid poster I perceive you to be, I disagree.

It's not an issue of him thriving in this system. Cutler is not a finished product but he has already proven that he can play at a high, not perfect, level in the NFL.

If he doesn't do as well in Josh's system then THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THAT SYSTEM, imo.

I'll talk to him about an extension when he proves he can flourish in the new system.

CoachChaz
03-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Coach, with respect for the solid poster I perceive you to be, I disagree.

It's not an issue of him thriving in this system. Cutler is not a finished product but he has already proven that he can play at a high, not perfect, level in the NFL.

If he doesn't do as well in Josh's system then THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THAT SYSTEM, imo.

I cant agree. There are alot of different types of players and systems and some work together...others dont. Jay has skills, that we cannot deny. But are his skills right for this system? I guess we just have to wait and see.

There is just no way that I can watch players like Brady and Cassel, who have mediocre skillsets, slourish in this sytem...then watch an uber-talent like Jay fail and then sit back and say the system is flawed. makes no sense

xzn
03-03-2009, 01:12 PM
I believe that he will do well in any system. The only thing that would prevent it would be a lack of trust between Jay and Josh. An extention will fix that as much as it can be fixed. That's why he needs to be extended. It's harder to replace a franchise caliber QB then it is to go get a new HC if it doesn't work out.

underrated29
03-03-2009, 01:16 PM
I cant agree. There are alot of different types of players and systems and some work together...others dont. Jay has skills, that we cannot deny. But are his skills right for this system? I guess we just have to wait and see.

There is just no way that I can watch players like Brady and Cassel, who have mediocre skillsets, slourish in this sytem...then watch an uber-talent like Jay fail and then sit back and say the system is flawed. makes no sense

I would agree there, but i dont think there is any way possible jay cant succeed in his system. Honestly.

All Jay has to do is find the open man- which we know he can do. He also has to go deep on occasion- which he likes to do more than on occasion. With all these WR we have-brandon,royal,gaffney,cjax,stokley, then our TE-sheff, graham, and our RBs who can also catch-buck, arrington? hillis.

Wow- is all i can say- the defenses will be torched by ground or air- they play back and we run, they play run and we air it out.

Seriously, a 35-40 td 4k+ passing season should be in order, if it was not for the tough tough schedule. If jay can get anywhere close to 30 tds and 3.5k yards with the schedule we have i think its safe to say that success is before the horizen.

xzn
03-03-2009, 01:20 PM
So if you're sure he will be successful in this, or any other system, and you never were serious about "shopping" him, then you LOCK HIM UP with an extension!

Prove it... Money is a great band-aid.

SR
03-03-2009, 01:29 PM
On a brighter note, at least Jay is upset that he was brought up in trades. I mean, he could have just said "Awesome. I wanna be somewhere else". I like that he is happy in Denver.

MadMax
03-03-2009, 01:40 PM
On a brighter note, at least Jay is upset that he was brought up in trades. I mean, he could have just said "Awesome. I wanna be somewhere else". I like that he is happy in Denver.

You know, I was thinking the same thing. He throws a tantrum when they talked about trading him and demanded they speak to him. Then when they say they are not going to trade him he won't talk to them anymore. Yes they are the antics of a spurned 13 year old girl, but they also show he wants to be with the team and really doesn't want to be traded. Hopefully he'll decide they've been sufficiently punished pretty soon here and come back to dove valley and get on with business

xzn
03-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Nothing says, "I love you!" like cold, green cash...

MadMax
03-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Nothing says, "I love you!" like cold, green cash...

Ultimately this could be the cost of McD's inexperience. My line of reasoning is:

Right now I think JC is a future hall of famer and any extension will cost mucho bucks and mucho years. However, in two years when his contract actually expires we will all pretty much know what kind of a qb he will be and if hes a great one his contract will require mucho bucks and mucho years. If we have to give him an extension now to soothe things over then this fiasco will have forced our hand too soon. And we risk giving JC big money while continuing to see him put up 20 picks a season and not taking us to the playoffs.

xzn
03-03-2009, 02:12 PM
At worst, with no further development, he is a top 12 QB. He has athletic and mental potential to be THE TOP PERIOD. I worry about his emotional makeup but its worth the risk. He'll be cheaper now than in two years.

silkamilkamonico
03-03-2009, 02:14 PM
So if you're sure he will be successful in this, or any other system, and you never were serious about "shopping" him, then you LOCK HIM UP with an extension!

Prove it... Money is a great band-aid.

I'm not sure why Cutler would agree to an extension. He is no way an upper echelon QB right now, so he certainly wouldn't, and shouldn't, be paid like it. He has 3 more years to get to that level and get a humongous contract next time around.

Cutler would be smart to wait.

xzn
03-03-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm not sure why Cutler would agree to an extension. He is no way an upper echelon QB right now, so he certainly wouldn't, and shouldn't, be paid like it. He has 3 more years to get to that level and get a humongous contract next time around.

Cutler would be smart to wait.

For the sake of discussion let's say the FO offered a contract extension and Jay's people said they'd rather wait and see... it would still solve the problem of lack of trust. It would demonstrate that the FO wants him long term and is not just mouthing platitudes.

$$$ Talks . . . BS Walks

silkamilkamonico
03-03-2009, 02:22 PM
For the sake of discussion let's say the FO offered a contract extension and Jay's people said they'd rather wait and see... it would still solve the problem of lack of trust. It would demonstrate that the FO wants him long term and is not just mouthing platitudes.

$$$ Talks . . . BS Walks

Probably. When they iron it out, both sides need to explain themselves. it surely isn't a one sided affair here.

MadMax
03-03-2009, 02:24 PM

$$$ Talks . . . BS Walks

You're giving me nightmares I can only imagine the media ****storm if they find out we offered JC an extension and he refused it.

Dortoh
03-03-2009, 02:29 PM
You're giving me nightmares I can only imagine the media ****storm if they find out we offered JC an extension and he refused it.

I've finally come to the conclussion the best thing right now is if both sides shut the **** up and wait for someone like TO to screw something up. Then the media will go away and the two sides can get back to work.

MadMax
03-03-2009, 02:41 PM
I've finally come to the conclussion the best thing right now is if both sides shut the **** up and wait for someone like TO to screw something up. Then the media will go away and the two sides can get back to work.

Someone like TO did screw up....

Unfortunately his name is Brandon Marshall. :elefant::elefant:

Dortoh
03-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Someone like TO did screw up....

Unfortunately his name is Brandon Marshall. :elefant::elefant:

LMAO the story of our offseason so far

weazel
03-03-2009, 03:14 PM
all of a sudden, Phillip Rivers doesnt look all that bad. Cutler is an immature punk

claymore
03-03-2009, 03:22 PM
all of a sudden, Phillip Rivers doesnt look all that bad. Cutler is an immature punk

Thats just a silly statement. Go back and look at what was said when the Chargers were getting rid of Brees.

SoCalImport
03-03-2009, 03:23 PM
I would agree there, but i dont think there is any way possible jay cant succeed in his system. Honestly.

All Jay has to do is find the open man- which we know he can do. He also has to go deep on occasion- which he likes to do more than on occasion. With all these WR we have-brandon,royal,gaffney,cjax,stokley, then our TE-sheff, graham, and our RBs who can also catch-buck, arrington? hillis.

Wow- is all i can say- the defenses will be torched by ground or air- they play back and we run, they play run and we air it out.

Seriously, a 35-40 td 4k+ passing season should be in order, if it was not for the tough tough schedule. If jay can get anywhere close to 30 tds and 3.5k yards with the schedule we have i think its safe to say that success is before the horizen.

If Jay proves that he can in fact "find the open man" or just as important, throw the ball away when he can't, then he'll be a top 2-3 QB in this league for years to come. So far He's shown us amazing physical gifts, and a penchant for making poor decisions. Jay can take this team on his back, with no defense to speak of, and keep us in games only to make an ill-advised throw into double coverage (or more often not seeing the LB in zone underneath) and give the game away.
If Cutler is willing to be coached by McDaniels I feel very confident that He can start to see the coverages, make the adjustments, find the open receiver. If Jay really is as pig-headed and stubborn as he's seemed at times, then then he will NEVER become the QB we all were hoping for.
Damn shame.

weazel
03-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Thats just a silly statement. Go back and look at what was said when the Chargers were getting rid of Brees.

I hate Rivers but Cutler is looking just as bad, if not worse than him.

claymore
03-03-2009, 03:39 PM
I hate Rivers but Cutler is looking just as bad, if not worse than him.

He hasnt said anything bad though. He stated he will be in Denver on the 16th, he sent his agent to Denver, and he said he thinks he is still on the block.

How is that acting bad?

CoachChaz
03-03-2009, 03:43 PM
He hasnt said anything bad though. He stated he will be in Denver on the 16th, he sent his agent to Denver, and he said he thinks he is still on the block.

How is that acting bad?

Wow...that's the Reader's Digest, I Love Cutler version of it.

claymore
03-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Wow...that's the Reader's Digest, I Love Cutler version of it.

I do love Cutler. He is exciting as hell, and I was uber happy when we drafted him.

But I unlike others am not trying to read into what he is saying. Im taking as its said.

All the folks calling him a whiner etc...... Dont back it up with a quote that contains whining.

He is pissed. Men get pissed. Im sure he has calmed down, but damn you would think a franchise QB with his potential would get a little loyalty from the organization.

weazel
03-03-2009, 03:53 PM
I do love Cutler. He is exciting as hell, and I was uber happy when we drafted him.

But I unlike others am not trying to read into what he is saying. Im taking as its said.

All the folks calling him a whiner etc...... Dont back it up with a quote that contains whining.

He is pissed. Men get pissed. Im sure he has calmed down, but damn you would think a franchise QB with his potential would get a little loyalty from the organization.

wow, I understand the man-crush. Is it the dreamy eyes or the sweet wind-bown hair?
:laugh:

claymore
03-03-2009, 03:55 PM
wow, I understand the man-crush. Is it the dreamy eyes or the sweet wind-bown hair?
:laugh:

He healed my heart after the scumbag plummer played for and tainted the Bronco name.

bcbronc
03-03-2009, 03:59 PM
You don't understand. McDaniels can do whatever he wants as long as Xanders agrees. Bowlen will probably back them up if they want to trade Jay. But if they do that they better find someone as good. And how can they do that? :coffee:

A rookie QB, any rookie QB will take 3 years to learn to lead a team in the NFL. That's just reality. A FA QB is a guy some other team let go -- and there's almost always a reason. Usually they've got problems.

Weak arm, slow, no mobility, inferior accuracy, poor decision making, you name it. Shows athletic promise but keeps screwing up when given the chance like Rex Grossman.

At BEST you're getting some guy like Warner or Farve who just wants to play one more year. So, that buys you one year. Then what?

Once in a blue-moon you get amazingly lucky and find a Drew Brees, but there's no Drew Brees on the market this year.

Teams that have to get by with crap QBs lose games. Losing games gets the coach fired.

McDaniels was hired to win now, not three years from now when Matt Stafford or Mark Sanchez is ready to produce. He'll be gone by then just like Shanahan is gone despite having pretty good drafts the last 3 years.

And the Broncos HAD a franchise QB in Cutler. If McDaniels wants to screw up the relationship so he loses control and has to trade Cutler, then he'd better find someone else and start winning games.

Now, does anybody believe he can do that? :coffee:

well, Baltimore did okay with a rookie qb. So did Pittsburgh a few years ago. Brady wasn't a rookie, but he hadn't started a game when Bledsoe got hurt either. He made out all right imo. and then consider the job McD did with Cassel, which would at least suggest he can have success with inexperienced qbs.

sure, all three of those teams have/had killer defenses to help them out. we don't. I'd expect it to take 3 years to get a top notch defense in place (best case scenerio), which conveniently fits your expectations for a rookie Qb.

point here being, this isn't Cutler's team, it's Pat's. and he's entrusted McD and X to run it. So Cutler either buys in or he ships out. obviously it would suck donkey balls if Cutler goes on to have a HOF career and we spiral into the dark pit of "still looking for a franchise quarterback". but at this point, there's no quarantee Cutler is anything more than a Drew Bledsoe in the big picture and his reaction hasn't been appropriate for the situation or for his stature.

I'd guess about 85% of us want this to be resolved in a fashion that has Cutler as the Bronco's quarterback AND buying into the system. and almost all of the 15% or so that wants to show Cutler the door felt that way before this situation arose. but you simply can't be a successful franchise if you let the players, no matter how good, rule the roost.

weazel
03-03-2009, 04:00 PM
he healed my heart after the scumbag plummer played for and tainted the bronco name.

lol

fcspikeit
03-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Graham and Bailey know this is a business and are professionals. Thats what cracks me up. WHen a player is going for more money and seeing what they can get out of teams its a "business". But when they are on the trading block or in trade talks, the team is at fault, is backstabbing, and liers. FUnny how when it benifits the players its a business, but when it benifits the team is jacked up and wrong.

I think Cutler knows it's a business, he even said he could understand why McIdiot would want Cassel. None of that changes the fact, the guy he was supposed to build a close relationship with just tried to trade him. In his mind, if they don't want me I would just as soon play for someone else. The Broncos need to show Cutler they want him to be their QB. Maybe a contract extension would do that?

Plus Cutler said, I don't understand why they tried to deal me, were they worried I couldn't learn the system? Did they think they couldn't sign me on my next contract? He asked the question and McIdiot replayed with, we don't want to trade Cutler.

If you ask me, Cutler just wanted them to come clean with their problems with him. In other wards, he was just asking to be treated like a man.. I think he is an honest guy, he would have taken that better then them just trying to cover it up. McDaniels should have contacted Cutlers agent and told him he would sit down with Cutler and bring everything out in the open, before he released his statement.. I believe Cutler would have meet with him.

After they set down and the truth came out they could have decided how to go forward in the best interest of the team. That probably would have been to just let it lay in the media. They could of treated Cutler as a member of the team, showing him they still wanted him as a member of the team. You have to realize, Cutler isn't even sure they still want him on the team, because they tried to trade him.

IMO this can still be mended but it will take McDaniels stepping up and leaving McIdiot behind. Cutler isn't going to let them lie to him. If they will be open with the entire situation, I believe Cutler can respect that. If McDaniels is really worried about Cutler turning the ball over to much in his system, he can tell that to Cutler, Cutler can then work his butt off to learn the system and prove to McDaniels he can run it. I think he will step up to the challenge.

But I just don't see Cutler playing for McDaniels with this not being openly addressed. He isn't the type of guy who can play hard for someone he doesn't like or respect, he is to honest for that.

MOtorboat
03-03-2009, 04:53 PM
I think Cutler knows it's a business, he even said he could understand why McIdiot would want Cassel. None of that changes the fact, the guy he was supposed to build a close relationship with just tried to trade him. In his mind, if they don't want me I would just as soon play for someone else. The Broncos need to show Cutler they want him to be their QB. Maybe a contract extension would do that?

Plus Cutler said, I don't understand why they tried to deal me, were they worried I couldn't learn the system? Did they think they couldn't sign me on my next contract? He asked the question and McIdiot replayed with, we don't want to trade Cutler.

If you ask me, Cutler just wanted them to come clean with their problems with him. In other wards, he was just asking to be treated like a man.. I think he is an honest guy, he would have taken that better then them just trying to cover it up. McDaniels should have contacted Cutlers agent and told him he would sit down with Cutler and bring everything out in the open, before he released his statement.. I believe Cutler would have meet with him.

After they set down and the truth came out they could have decided how to go forward in the best interest of the team. That probably would have been to just let it lay in the media. They could of treated Cutler as a member of the team, showing him they still wanted him as a member of the team. You have to realize, Cutler isn't even sure they still want him on the team, because they tried to trade him.

IMO this can still be mended but it will take McDaniels stepping up and leaving McIdiot behind. Cutler isn't going to let them lie to him. If they will be open with the entire situation, I believe Cutler can respect that. If McDaniels is really worried about Cutler turning the ball over to much in his system, he can tell that to Cutler, Cutler can then work his butt off to learn the system and prove to McDaniels he can run it. I think he will step up to the challenge.

But I just don't see Cutler playing for McDaniels with this not being openly addressed. He isn't the type of guy who can play hard for someone he doesn't like or respect, he is to honest for that.

Well, then Cutler is going to have to talk to them, isn't he?

The Broncos had NO obligation to call him and tell him they fielded two offers and said no to both. None whatsoever. That's the cold, hard truth.

claymore
03-03-2009, 04:56 PM

The Broncos had NO obligation to call him and tell him they fielded two offers and said no to both. None whatsoever. That's the cold, hard truth.

Like it or not, all these guys are human, and there is a right and a wrong way of doing things as men.

But your right, they had no legal obligation. I sure hope My favorite team is better than that though. I always thought of us as the good guys.

Medford Bronco
03-03-2009, 04:59 PM
If Jay proves that he can in fact "find the open man" or just as important, throw the ball away when he can't, then he'll be a top 2-3 QB in this league for years to come. So far He's shown us amazing physical gifts, and a penchant for making poor decisions. Jay can take this team on his back, with no defense to speak of, and keep us in games only to make an ill-advised throw into double coverage (or more often not seeing the LB in zone underneath) and give the game away.
If Cutler is willing to be coached by McDaniels I feel very confident that He can start to see the coverages, make the adjustments, find the open receiver. If Jay really is as pig-headed and stubborn as he's seemed at times, then then he will NEVER become the QB we all were hoping for.
Damn shame.

another excellent post.

This is what I see. I want Jay to be sucessful here (or any Denver QB) but if he does not want to be here an learn a new system and be all hung up over this flap then he can go elsewhere.

and in bold you have just pointed out Jeff George to me who also has immense physical gifts but pissed it all way beause of being a punk
and loudmouth.

Hmmm I wonder why I feel this:confused:
sorry no free pass from me for the "Pro-Bowl" QB who without dropped ints throws more than 20 this season.

topscribe
03-03-2009, 05:00 PM

Cutler's reactions are borne of vanity. That is not necessarily a put-down
because that characteristic is inherent in each of us. However, I would like
very much to see him overcome his vanity to understand that . . . well, stuff
happens.

Frankly, this all reminds me of a jilted lover. Hell, it's a job. I believe the right
move for Cutler is to go out and show McD what a miserable mistake he nearly
made in trading him, and what a mistake he did make in misjudging him.

MVP ought to do it . . . :coffee:

-----

elsid13
03-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Yeah he would have handled this with class. :rolleyes:

Right after he drove over McKid in his Hybrid.

fcspikeit
03-03-2009, 05:22 PM

There trying to make a mends by saying this didn't happen? All this is doing is making things worse. It just makes it look like Cutler is overreacting and making him the bad guy.

Listen, In Cutlers first comment, all he really said was that he believed they were trying to trade him. He said he didn't know why? He also said he was upset because he didn't want to be traded, he said he wanted to play with the guys in Denver next year. McIdiots attempt at mending was basically saying Cutler is full of shit, we don't want to trade him.

Think about it, didn't that make you think Cutler was to blame in all this? Cutler can see that, That's why he is pissed they are trying to turn this back on him and make him out to be the bad guy.

That tells me McDaniels doesn't feel Cutler is a franchise QB. Franchise QB's by the very name are coveted by the franchise. Franchise QB's are not expendable in the same way Shanahan seen RB's.

Anyways, I say so what? McDaniels was hired to make those choices. Cutler can either prove him wrong or he can't. As much as I disagree with him, McDaniels has the right to regard Cutler as he sees him. I can accept and maybe even respect that. But don't try and back door Cutler then lie about it. It is insulting to Cutler and everyone who knows he wanted to trade Cutler..

If he don't think Cutler is a franchise QB or he just don't feel like you need one, that's fine but come out and say that. Don't damage Cutlers name because you messed up and don't want to take the fall for it.. That I can't respect.

fcspikeit
03-03-2009, 05:36 PM

Cutler only said he wouldn't talk to them after they lied about it.. He said he didn't see the point in talking to them if they were just going to lie to him.. He then said, "I know for a fact they tried to trade me." I'm not sure where he got his info but his mind is made up.

It's not just Cutler either, everyone talking about it is saying "after McDaniels tried to deal him for Cassel"

If you knew someone was just going to lie to you, would you want to talk to them? Is it to much to ask for them to be honest before you waist your time in meeting with them?

fcspikeit
03-03-2009, 05:39 PM
another excellent post.

This is what I see. I want Jay to be sucessful here (or any Denver QB) but if he does not want to be here an learn a new system and be all hung up over this flap then he can go elsewhere.

and in bold you have just pointed out Jeff George to me who also has immense physical gifts but pissed it all way beause of being a punk
and loudmouth.

Hmmm I wonder why I feel this:confused:
sorry no free pass from me for the "Pro-Bowl" QB who without dropped ints throws more than 20 this season.

As if that doesn't apply to every QB in the league. :rolleyes:

How many more TD's would he have had without all the drops?;)