PDA

View Full Version : Mike McCoy gets Second Interview w/Miami

UnderArmour
01-17-2012, 05:27 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/159397646044372992

Dolphins scheduled to bring Broncos OC Mike McCoy to New York to meet with owner Stephen Ross on Thursday; McCoy's 2nd Dolphins interview.

I hope he gets hired. HE DESERVES THE OPPORTUNITY AS A GREAT OFFENSIVE MASTERMIND!!!!!!!!! ;)

echobravo
01-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Would save a lot of trouble for Denver if the fish would just hire him and get him gone. I know I will be happy to tell hin, "don't let the back door hit ya where the good lord split ya!"

Sorry, one of my favorite southernisms!

Nomad
01-17-2012, 06:01 PM
I wonder who he's competing with for the job.

catfish
01-17-2012, 06:05 PM
He is going to get a lot of credit for re-tooling an offense mid season.

VonSackemMiller
01-17-2012, 06:09 PM
Miami gonna be mad when they never see a screen pass ran ever again. just hire this guy already and get him out of denver. I cant stand McCoy.

Buff
01-17-2012, 06:10 PM
I wonder who he's competing with for the job.

This is from Schefter:

In addition to Broncos OC Mike McCoy, Miami asst. Todd Bowles and Packers OC Joe Philbin being brought in for 2nd interviews w/ Stephen Ross

I really hope we retain McCoy... We've had enough turnover around here - now I'd like to build some continuity.

Nomad
01-17-2012, 06:12 PM
This is from Schefter:

I really hope we retain McCoy... We've had enough turnover around here - now I'd like to build some continuity.

I predict Philbin gets the job.

Buff
01-17-2012, 06:14 PM
From Johnny Good Times:

John Clayton
The fact that Mike McCoy is being called back so quickly for a second interview gives him great chance of getting Miami job.

Ziggy
01-17-2012, 06:18 PM
I hear that Caldwell is looking for a job..........

Buff
01-17-2012, 06:22 PM
I hear that Caldwell is looking for a job..........

What kind of an idiotic team would hire a coach coming off a 2-14 season? :cool:

Ziggy
01-17-2012, 06:24 PM
What kind of an idiotic team would hire a coach coming off a 2-14 season? :cool:

It's ok, just as long as you're not hiring him to be the head coach.;)

VonSackemMiller
01-17-2012, 06:31 PM

The broncos? we hired john fox after going 1-15 with carolina right?

dogfish
01-17-2012, 06:33 PM
From Johnny Good Times:

when did shank get a twitter?

Superchop 7
01-17-2012, 07:04 PM
He was god awful with KC and NE games.

Other than that, he was very good in the rest of the games.

NightTerror218
01-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Congrats to him, I just dont think he was that "take charge" kind of OC needed to be with Fox. He never called plays till end of last season. Fox is going to try to influence OC to play safe every single play. Need OC who is going to run the offense and play call with some experience. Need an OC who likes to run the ball and wants to run an Tebow led offense.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Jason LaCanfora just got finished reporting on NFLN that McCoy "blew away" the upper management in Miami during his first interview and that's why has was called back so soon. He thinks he has a very good chance of being offered the job.

Nick
01-17-2012, 10:19 PM
This just sucks... I rather have McCoy head coach of this team over Fox.

dogfish
01-17-2012, 10:53 PM
Jason LaCanfora just got finished reporting on NFLN that McCoy "blew away" the upper management in Miami during his first interview and that's why has was called back so soon. He thinks he has a very good chance of being offered the job.

he must've borrowed McD's magic power point presentation. . .

:coffee:

Nick
01-18-2012, 12:27 AM

Or point out how Tebow would have 6ints game and not even broke 100 yards passing if was not for him. :coffee:

And how this team probably wouldn't have had any wins... if was not for him.

Miami will be in wild card running next year w/him watch.

VonSackemMiller
01-18-2012, 12:45 AM
Or point out how Tebow would have 6ints game and not even broke 100 yards passing if was not for him. :coffee:

And how this team probably wouldn't have had any wins... if was not for him.

Miami will be in wild card running next year w/him watch.

Nows your chance to go be a dolphin fan,

bcbronc
01-18-2012, 12:49 AM
This just sucks... I rather have McCoy head coach of this team over Fox.

Why?

VonSackemMiller
01-18-2012, 12:52 AM
McCoy doesnt have a screen play in his playbook. what type of playbook is that? What type of offense is run run pass punt? run run qb draw punt. Lol McCoy sucks so bad. Please take him Miami please.

DenBronx
01-18-2012, 12:52 AM
I'm kinda torn on McCoy.....as much as I hated some of the playcalling choices he seemed to do alot better as time went on.

If he does go I think it would be good to give Huge Jackson as shot as OC. Now, I'm not saying head coach because he does have an ego. But possibly being under John Fox would be good for him. His play calling kinda scared me when he was with oakland. He is very creative.

G_Money
01-18-2012, 01:53 AM
I think McCoy is better HC material than coordinator. He speaks well, has good fire, and gets along really well with his players.

As long as he doesn't call his own offense as a HC I think he could do well. He's the anti-McDaniels...even if he did steal that power point presentation, dog. :D He did learn what to do from Fox and what NOT to do from McDaniels. Both were good learning situations.

I'd love for him to go. He can go try to be successful as a HC, and we can get a better OC in here. Win-win.

~G

MOtorboat
01-18-2012, 02:41 AM
McCoy doesnt have a screen play in his playbook. what type of playbook is that? What type of offense is run run pass punt? run run qb draw punt. Lol McCoy sucks so bad. Please take him Miami please.

It's an offense that takes a sub par quarterback and wins enough games to get into the playoffs and even win a playoff game.

Keep discounting the scheme.

Of course, as far as the screen, it's kind of like the crossing patterns. You, apparently, aren't smart enough to see them, or just, simply, don't want to in order to suit your obviously flawed argument.

BroncoBJ
01-18-2012, 03:35 AM
Does anyone think that if he goes to Miami, that he will try to take Tebow with him? Plus majority of Miami fans already love Tebow? I wonder if he will try to take Tebow with him.

Lancane
01-18-2012, 04:50 AM
Congrats to him, I just dont think he was that "take charge" kind of OC needed to be with Fox. He never called plays till end of last season. Fox is going to try to influence OC to play safe every single play. Need OC who is going to run the offense and play call with some experience. Need an OC who likes to run the ball and wants to run an Tebow led offense.

No, we need an Offensive Coordinator who understands that the collegiate crap doesn't work, an OC that is a student of the game and can mold, even conform Tebow into a more Pro-Style quarterback. John Elway even said again that Tim needs to learn to play from the pocket during his interview the other day...which suggests they want to run a more traditional pro offense.

Chef Zambini
01-18-2012, 07:30 AM
This is from Schefter:

continuity only has value when you are happy with what you got.
if daddy always comes home with vanilla icecream, week after week, same ol vanilla ice cream, when you ask him, why dont you ever bring home chocolate, are you goinfg to accept "continuity" as a reason?
TEBOW and mccoy, bad combination.

Chef Zambini
01-18-2012, 07:38 AM
It's an offense that takes a sub par quarterback and wins enough games to get into the playoffs and even win a playoff game.

Keep discounting the scheme.

Of course, as far as the screen, it's kind of like the crossing patterns. You, apparently, aren't smart enough to see them, or just, simply, don't want to in order to suit your obviously flawed argument.cmon mo, you really think the planets are going to allign for us every year?
8-8, we TIED 2 other teams and went to a third tie breaker to get that division win.
Are you in denial about the sheer luck involved in the majority of those wins, or the performance of special teams and defense, that were the REAL VALIANTS that led to those victories?
and please try to understand that NOW, moving FORWARD, TT is NOT going to be used as a runner, he is going to be transformed into a pocket passer!
( can you recall how that worked for plummer)
TT is desperate for creativity to make use of his skill set.
Do you consider mccoy creative?
continuity?
we elected bush a second time for "continuity", I rest my case.

Chef Zambini
01-18-2012, 07:43 AM
I predict Philbin gets the job.the philbin family might NEED a change of venue, I think we all hope his life and family catch some breaks.

Tned
01-18-2012, 08:09 AM
He is going to get a lot of credit for re-tooling an offense mid season.

Yep, this could be another case where Broncos fans need to be careful what they wish for, because they might just get it.

While I have been fairly critical of the play calling, if you look back at how things have gone, the fact they changed the offense on the fly, going from a a power blocking scheme to a mostly zone blocking scheme. Going to a read option and then triple option game.

Dealing with a QB that was learning on the job, that struggled to make the passing plays to convert 3rd downs. Dealing with the fact that since they were running an offense not used in the modern NFL, he didn't have any film of how defenses would defend the Broncos, necessitating a lot of in game adjustments.

By all accounts, McCoy has done a pretty amazing job.

Now, that said, I still have a problem with his in-game play calling, specifically his first down calls.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this plays out, but I could easily see the next OC being a downgrade, not an upgrade.

TXBRONC
01-18-2012, 08:12 AM
I predict Philbin gets the job.

Isn't he Regis Philbin's son? :confused:

claymore
01-18-2012, 08:20 AM
Yep, this could be another case where Broncos fans need to be careful what they wish for, because they might just get it.

While I have been fairly critical of the play calling, if you look back at how things have gone, the fact they changed the offense on the fly, going from a a power blocking scheme to a mostly zone blocking scheme. Going to a read option and then triple option game.

Dealing with a QB that was learning on the job, that struggled to make the passing plays to convert 3rd downs. Dealing with the fact that since they were running an offense not used in the modern NFL, he didn't have any film of how defenses would defend the Broncos, necessitating a lot of in game adjustments.

By all accounts, McCoy has done a pretty amazing job.

Now, that said, I still have a problem with his in-game play calling, specifically his first down calls.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this plays out, but I could easily see the next OC being a downgrade, not an upgrade.

I think he has done a way better job than he was given credit for. I dont like his offense though, and I dont think he is invetive enough to help with Tebows development.

I think we need some out of the box thinking from our OC if Tebow is to be successful.

Tned
01-18-2012, 08:30 AM
I think he has done a way better job than he was given credit for. I dont like his offense though, and I dont think he is invetive enough to help with Tebows development.

I think we need some out of the box thinking from our OC if Tebow is to be successful.

While I fully agree, but the big question is whether Fox will be on board with that. Fox is a run the ball + stop the run = winning kind of guy.

Personally, think they should be doing far more first down play calling. More plays like the bootleg pass to Fells in the Pitt game. Tebow's mobility could be a huge asset in the passing game, rather than just running him between the tackles or option plays.

Lancane
01-18-2012, 08:31 AM
Question, who has McCoy developed or helped develop in the NFL? Not worked with, but actually helped them develop into an above average or elite quarterback? Another question, what quality offensive coaches has he learned from the give rise to the belief that he is good for this team, for Tebow and can make the offense no less then a continual contender?

The offensive coordinators he's learned from have gone from job to job or have forced themselves out of the league. The quarterbacks he's worked with have all been lackluster long-term prospects, others he did little to help overall. We're talking about an offensive coordinator with little experience and time under quality offensive minded coaches. We need a student of the game, someone who's been in and seen various offenses, is creative, can develop quarterbacks to succeed at this level.

Tned says be careful what you wish for...that was true for Shanahan, but I don't see the loss of McCoy as that great, this offense was bland for the most part give what Tebow did with it and his overall numbers were terrible give the playoff game against Pittsburgh. We're ready to accept mediocrity simply for the fact that it brought minor success.

claymore
01-18-2012, 08:41 AM
While I fully agree, but the big question is whether Fox will be on board with that. Fox is a run the ball + stop the run = winning kind of guy.

Personally, think they should be doing far more first down play calling. More plays like the bootleg pass to Fells in the Pitt game. Tebow's mobility could be a huge asset in the passing game, rather than just running him between the tackles or option plays.

Tebow was a bad inheritance for Fox. Im sure Tebows skill set is way out of Fox's comfort zone.

IF we get a new OC, I think it will be for the type of QB/offense Fox wants... I think Tebow will be the one that has to adjust.

I personally think that the ZBS that we ran with Plummer would be a match made in heaven for Tebow.

claymore
01-18-2012, 08:47 AM
Question, who has McCoy developed or helped develop in the NFL? Not worked with, but actually helped them develop into an above average or elite quarterback? Another question, what quality offensive coaches has he learned from the give rise to the belief that he is good for this team, for Tebow and can make the offense no less then a continual contender?

The offensive coordinators he's learned from have gone from job to job or have forced themselves out of the league. The quarterbacks he's worked with have all been lackluster long-term prospects, others he did little to help overall. We're talking about an offensive coordinator with little experience and time under quality offensive minded coaches. We need a student of the game, someone who's been in and seen various offenses, is creative, can develop quarterbacks to succeed at this level.

Tned says be careful what you wish for...that was true for Shanahan, but I don't see the loss of McCoy as that great, this offense was bland for the most part give what Tebow did with it and his overall numbers were terrible give the playoff game against Pittsburgh. We're ready to accept mediocrity simply for the fact that it brought minor success.

Yeah, Im willing to risk it!

Tned
01-18-2012, 10:09 AM
I personally think that the ZBS that we ran with Plummer would be a match made in heaven for Tebow.

I agree. While on the one hand it's easy for us to look at what was a success here in Denver, but on the other hand, I really do think that with his mobility, along with the benefit of giving him one side of the field to make reads, along with the huge benefit the rollouts/misdirection would be for the running game, that it would be a great fit for Tebow and our offensive line that's struggling with straight drop back pass blocking.

TXBRONC
01-18-2012, 10:28 AM

Dog I'm not so sure it's such a good thing if McCoy goes to Miami.

TXBRONC
01-18-2012, 10:33 AM

I would say the Jake Delhomme falls in that category. He was solid starter for several seasons.

Lancane
01-18-2012, 10:52 AM
I would say the Jake Delhomme falls in that category. He was solid starter for several seasons.

He didn't develop Jake Delhomme TX, he worked with him...just as he worked with Orton for a time. But Jake Delhomme was already a legit starter by the time McCoy was in a position to coach him, at that point he didn't need coaching.

TXBRONC
01-18-2012, 11:00 AM
He didn't develop Jake Delhomme TX, he worked with him...just as he worked with Orton for a time. But Jake Delhomme was already a legit starter by the time McCoy was in a position to coach him, at that point he didn't need coaching.

McCoy was in Carolina before Delhomme and when Delhomme got there he had very little in game experience.

Lancane
01-18-2012, 11:12 AM
McCoy was in Carolina before Delhomme and when Delhomme got there he had very little in game experience.

Delhomme began his NFL Career in 99' in New Orleans, two seasons later he went to Carolina under George Seifert and Richard Williamson, though McCoy was part of the staff (he was an offensive assistant then a receivers coach), he was demoted a year later when John Fox took over, he named the quarterback coach in 2004, two years later he was named the Passing Game Coordinator till he was hired by Josh McDaniels to come here.

tomjonesrocks
01-18-2012, 11:30 AM
I'd rather lose McCoy than Allen -- but don't really want to lose either.

This team could use some stability for a change.

Joel
01-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Honestly, I'm not sure how we could, or can, expect anything different. You have a young QB surrounded by tons of question marks and a play safe run first head coach: How can you call lots of passes with that? If you DO, your QB AND receivers AND pass blocking better be a heckuva lot better than our second year starters can deliver, or you'll be looking for a job after a month.

Lancane
01-18-2012, 11:51 AM
I'd rather lose McCoy than Allen -- but don't really want to lose either.

This team could use some stability for a change.

But stability and continuity means little in light of poor coaching decisions. It's rare that coaches have long tenures in the current NFL for that very reason, if it's hurting the team in one way then it's not worth it for the piddly benefit of another such as stability. The NFL is all about winning, we need to be a lot better then we we're this season to compete, Denver risks setting the team back should they not improve and simply because a little change. Look at the Texans hiring of Wade Philips for example...think they feel continuity was the answer at this time?

TXBRONC
01-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Delhomme began his NFL Career in 99' in New Orleans, two seasons later he went to Carolina under George Seifert and Richard Williamson, though McCoy was part of the staff (he was an offensive assistant then a receivers coach), he was demoted a year later when John Fox took over, he named the quarterback coach in 2004, two years later he was named the Passing Game Coordinator till he was hired by Josh McDaniels to come here.

Fox got to Carolina in 2002 Delhomme didn't get to Carolina until 2003. Delhomme had official stats with the Saints for the 1999 and 2002 seasons and in between nothing.

According to McCoy bio he was quarterback's coach in 2000 and the wide receiver's coach in 2001 and then moved back to quarterbacks coach in 2002 and remained in that role until he left Carolina to come to Denver. Offensive pass coordinator was added to his title for the 2007-2008 seasons so I didn't see anything to indicate he was demoted. Essentially Fox took the offensive coordinator's role and spilt into two part i.e. a pass coordinator and run coordinator. Anyway, from time Fox took over as head coach until the time McCoy left he worked with the quarterbacks which included Delhomme during his best seasons as a pro.

Just side note Steve Beuerlein had one his best season's a pro in 2000 when McCoy was the quarterback's coach.

NightTrainLayne
01-18-2012, 12:54 PM

Yes he does have a screen play. Not sure if that is hyperbole or not.

However, I would expect the lack of it being called is due to screen plays being very unproductive with our personnel. We tried one in the first half at Buffalo and lost 3-5 yards with more than one tackler at the point of attack.

Edit: There were more, but I remember that one very well because several complained the week leading up to that game that we never called screens. We called one and got buried.

TXBRONC
01-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Yes he does have a screen play. Not sure if that is hyperbole or not.

However, I would expect the lack of it being called is due to screen plays being very unproductive with our personnel. We tried one in the first half at Buffalo and lost 3-5 yards with more than one tackler at the point of attack.

Edit: There were more, but I remember that one very well because several complained the week leading up to that game that we never called screens. We called one and got buried.

All offenses have screen plays as part of the play book and we have used them occasionally. One that I would have liked us to use more was the backside tight end screen that was used in Tebow first start in Miami. He rolled to his right the defense followed him and left Fells all by his lonesome on the back side.

Nick
01-18-2012, 02:42 PM
What is funny is Bronco fans want more screens plays and steeler fans want less screen plays :lol:

NightTerror218
01-18-2012, 02:52 PM
What is funny is Bronco fans want more screens plays and steeler fans want less screen plays :lol:

Pats dont complain they have lots of those and quick slants. Why Brady is never 3rd and long.

arapaho2
01-18-2012, 05:00 PM
stability isnt worth a shit if every defense you face knows every formation you run and what typically happens when your in it

stability isnt worth a shit if that stability is predictable

stability isnt worth a shit if you cant figure out how to get the Te consistantly into the passing offense

stability isnt worth a shit if the offensive mentality is..."hopefully the defense holds the other team to less than 10 points....then we have a chance at the end

in other words stability isnt worth a shit if the result is the same enemic, lackluster, predictable product

Nick
01-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Pats dont complain they have lots of those and quick slants. Why Brady is never 3rd and long.

Tebow is no Brady.

NightTerror218
01-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Tebow is no Brady.

Did I say he was?:rolleyes:

I dont think so. :tsk:

MOtorboat
01-18-2012, 06:03 PM

What are Tebow's biggest weaknesses as a passer?

NightTerror218
01-18-2012, 06:05 PM
What are Tebow's biggest weaknesses as a passer?

making progressions and holidng ball too long.......he is accuracte in short to mid range passes, except we dont call many of them. If you are curious I am pretty sure cat will put them back up.

MOtorboat
01-18-2012, 06:08 PM
making progressions and holidng ball too long.......he is accuracte in short to mid range passes, except we dont call many of them. If you are curious I am pretty sure cat will put them back up.

I would say timing and footwork, along with those two other things. Pretty good reasons not to call short passes that require quick release, timing and anticipation.

They weren't called for a good reason.

NightTerror218
01-18-2012, 06:12 PM
I would say timing and footwork, along with those two other things. Pretty good reasons not to call short passes that require quick release, timing and anticipation.

They weren't called for a good reason.

I think they were not called because Fox likes to run and then take some deep shots, which take longer for them to run. We had several good check downs work out, like the Moreno one for a TD. In the Chicago came we had a few of them too near the end of the game.

I am really hoping to see them as Tebow gets more use to the game speed and knowing where that check down is so he can throw it out there instead of running in circles avoiding sacks then getting him 5 yards further back.

MOtorboat
01-18-2012, 06:13 PM
They will be called when they have the confidence in him to complete the throws.

NightTerror218
01-18-2012, 06:15 PM
They will be called when they have the confidence in him to complete the throws.

Can you explain why TEs are almost always blocking and not running routes until we are in spread? I never see a bump and go for a pass like Hernandez did several times on us the first game. Too me is shows coaching lack of trust in Tebow/OL. Because they are blocking even when there are only 3 guys.

MOtorboat
01-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Can you explain why TEs are almost always blocking and not running routes until we are in spread? I never see a bump and go for a pass like Hernandez did several times on us the first game. Too me is shows coaching lack of trust in Tebow/OL. Because they are blocking even when there are only 3 guys.

Yes. Why should they have trust in either?

HORSEPOWER 56
01-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Apparently, McCoy told the Raiders to **** off... That a boy, once a Bronco always a Bronco...

McCoy took his name off the Oakland Raiders​' list, canceling his scheduled interview in Denver with newly-hired Oakland general manager Reggie McKenzie to board a flight to New York. :lol: :D

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19768569

NightTerror218
01-18-2012, 06:33 PM
apparently, mccoy told the raiders to **** off... That a boy, once a bronco always a bronco...

He wants the job in miami, but declined the raiders' request for a hc interview telling them to take his name off their list. :lol: :d

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19768569

he is putting all his chips into one pot

HORSEPOWER 56
01-18-2012, 06:38 PM
he is putting all his chips into one pot

I'd bet it's more a "no way in hell I want to work for Mark Davis" thing. Personally, I'd rather be the Broncos OC than the Raiders HC...

The Raiders were kind of a joke with all of Al's eccentricities over the years, but now they are a COMPLETE JOKE with Bowl-cut running the show.

They used to be funny in a ha-ha, but sad way. Now they are funny in the tragic, face-palm type of way...

Joel
01-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Apparently, McCoy told the Raiders to **** off... That a boy, once a Bronco always a Bronco...
Or maybe Miami has made, but not yet announced, a decision. I still don't know how I'd feel about that, but hope we can keep Allen. I can't really blame him not stopping teams passing on us with Champ backed by two (bad) rookies and a scrub #2 CB.

TXBRONC
01-19-2012, 07:41 AM
Or maybe Miami has made, but not yet announced, a decision. I still don't know how I'd feel about that, but hope we can keep Allen. I can't really blame him not stopping teams passing on us with Champ backed by two (bad) rookies and a scrub #2 CB.

The very fact McCoy is getting a second interview is strong indicator that he will probably get the job.

Lancane
01-19-2012, 11:42 AM
The very fact McCoy is getting a second interview is strong indicator that he will probably get the job.

The 'supposed' reason why McCoy 'snubbed' the Raiders was because he believes that he's the favorite for the Miami head coaching position and didn't want to jeopardize that with meeting with Oakland. - Per PFT

TXBRONC
01-19-2012, 11:48 AM
The 'supposed' reason why McCoy 'snubbed' the Raiders was because he believes that he's the favorite for the Miami head coaching position and didn't want to jeopardize that with meeting with Oakland. - Per PFT

I assumed that from moment that I read that he called off the meeting with Oakland and got the second interview with Miami.

Jsteve01
01-19-2012, 11:59 AM
I think McCoy could do well as a HC. listen as I've said over and over again. I think McCoy struggled a little in play calling and in game adjustments, but that's to be expected for a first time OC. Im a little indifferent at this point. I'd like to have stability but I really don't know what McCoy will end up being as a play caller

Traveler
01-19-2012, 02:53 PM
According to the Miami Herald, Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy believes he is the leading candidate for the Dolphins' head-coaching job.

McCoy showed his confidence by turning down an interview opportunity with the Raiders. He'll have a second interview with the Dolphins on Thursday. A source tells the Herald that Oakland brass was "not thrilled" McCoy turned them down. Packers OC Joe Philbin and in-house candidate Todd Bowles are McCoy's competition.

Our suspicion today was that McCoy had emerged as the favorite in Miami. Dolphins owner Stephen Ross has spoken of finding his "young Don Shula," and the 39-year-old McCoy has a relatively impressive track record as a coordinator in both his Denver and Carolina stops.

Source: Miami Herald Jan 18 - 8:02 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/226664/report-mccoy-believes-hes-dolphins-favorite

Huh?

dogfish
01-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Huh?

somebody didn't do their research. . .

i wonder if steve ross thinks mccoy was the OC in carolina?

:lol:

Traveler
01-19-2012, 03:04 PM

Guess his people don't understand the words "due diligence.":D

That said, I do have to give him credit for revamping the offense to fit Tebow's strengths.

Lancane
01-19-2012, 04:34 PM

Actually, his job title was Passing Game Coordinator in Carolina for a couple seasons...so in fact he was a coordinator in Carolina, at least in a title capacity.

Tned
01-20-2012, 07:53 AM
From Gary Miller:

RT @thegarymiller: Agent Drew Rosenhaus says Mike Mccoy will be named Dolphins coach. Miami media believes McCoy is front runner. No official announcement yet.

RT @thegarymiller: Dolphins missed out on Jeff Fisher and decided to go for younger, hungrier, (cheaper), coach. McCoy had support of GM Jeff Ireland.

TXBRONC
01-20-2012, 08:09 AM
From Gary Miller:

Thanks Tned. :beer:

Once it was announced that McCoy was getting a second interview I figured he was pretty much a lock to get the job. I also had feeling that if got the job it would announced in the next couple of day.

Lancane
01-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Thanks Tned. :beer:

Once it was announced that McCoy was getting a second interview I figured he was pretty much a lock to get the job. I also had feeling that if got the job it would announced in the next couple of day.

According to the Miami Herald, Ross and Ireland are expected to announce their decision today.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-20-2012, 11:24 AM
If McCoy is named HC of Dolphins - something else to consider:

VicLombardi Vic Lombardi
Something to consider if Mike McCoy does indeed get the Miami job. Other Broncos assistants may be going with him. Promotions.
9 hours ago

http://twitter.com/VicLombardi

TXBRONC
01-20-2012, 11:25 AM
According to the Miami Herald, Ross and Ireland are expected to announce their decision today.

I not surprised by many things but I would be surprised if McCoy isn't the Dolphins new head coach.

NightTerror218
01-20-2012, 12:36 PM
McCoy is tearing it up in Miami

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82628191/article/mccoy-emerges-as-leader-for-dolphins-headcoaching-spot?module=HP11_headline_stack

NightTerror218
01-20-2012, 12:37 PM
what assistants would leave? Him and studs were the only hold overs when Fox came I believe.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-20-2012, 12:42 PM
what assistants would leave? Him and studs were the only hold overs when Fox came I believe.

He could offer promotions to coaches on both offense and defense.

TXBRONC
01-20-2012, 12:44 PM

No most of the offensive staff was retained when Fox became the head coach. So not only Studesville, but Gase and Barone were here before Fox was hired. It would hurt to lose four coaches.

NightTerror218
01-20-2012, 12:48 PM
No most of the offensive staff was retained when Fox became the head coach. So not only Studesville, but Gase and Barone were here before Fox was hired. It would hurt to lose four coaches.

I though Gase was from carolina too and came with Fox, because McD's brother was QB coach.

broncobryce
01-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Gase was wr coach

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

NightTerror218
01-20-2012, 01:32 PM
gase was wr coach

mobile post via http://mobile.broncosforums.com/forums

ah ok

Denver Native (Carol)
01-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Gase was wr coach

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Last year Gase was QB coach, and Tolbert was WR coach

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/football-operations.html

NightTerror218
01-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Last year Gase was QB coach, and Tolbert was WR coach

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/football-operations.html

he was WR coach 2009-2010 not QB

"Adam Gase enters his first year as quarterbacks coach for the Denver Broncos in 2011, after two seasons (2009-10) as the team’s wide receivers coach. Now in his seventh NFL season, Gase, 33, was named to his current position on Jan. 20, 2011."

Denver Native (Carol)
01-20-2012, 01:52 PM
he was WR coach 2009-2010 not QB

"Adam Gase enters his first year as quarterbacks coach for the Denver Broncos in 2011, after two seasons (2009-10) as the team’s wide receivers coach. Now in his seventh NFL season, Gase, 33, was named to his current position on Jan. 20, 2011."

OK - in my post, I should have said this past season he was QB coach.

NightTerror218
01-20-2012, 01:57 PM
OK - in my post, I should have said this past season he was QB coach.

Sorry for being confused.

dogfish
01-20-2012, 02:10 PM
VicLombardi Vic Lombardi
Something to consider if Mike McCoy does indeed get the Miami job. Other Broncos assistants may be going with him. Promotions.
9 hours ago

if he tries to take dennis allen, i will personally fly down to miami and punt his nuts up into his stomach. . .

Jsteve01
01-20-2012, 02:32 PM
lol well now what?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-20-2012, 02:37 PM
if he tries to take dennis allen, i will personally fly down to miami and punt his nuts up into his stomach. . .

The only way that could happen is if he would be made assistant HC, and not sure if that would equal a promotion. He could not take him as DC - maybe assistant HC - DC - I am not sure how that works.

red98
01-20-2012, 02:44 PM
The only way that could happen is if he would be made assistant HC, and not sure if that would equal a promotion. He could not take him as DC - maybe assistant HC - DC - I am not sure how that works.

It can't happen period. It is completely up to the Broncos if they want to let a coach who is under contract go.

Many times teams do let an assistant coach go for a perceived promotion but they NEVER have to.

In the NFL there are 2 levels of coaches:

Head Coach

Assistant Coach

That's it.

A team must let an assistant coach interview for a head coach job but that is it.

NightTerror218
01-20-2012, 02:45 PM

make Allen our assistant HC.

yuhateme80
01-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Love how people rip McCoy he did a great job he changed his offense for tebow for people crying bout no screens watch tebow in fl he didn't throw screens there either he gave tebow plays that was comfortable for tebow to run for all u tebow fans out there if u want him around after next yr better hope McCoy stays cause having 3 different oc in tebow first 3 yrs would be bad for us n for tebow

Denver Native (Carol)
01-20-2012, 02:53 PM
It can't happen period. It is completely up to the Broncos if they want to let a coach who is under contract go.

Many times teams do let an assistant coach go for a perceived promotion but they NEVER have to.

In the NFL there are 2 levels of coaches:

Head Coach

Assistant Coach

That's it.

A team must let an assistant coach interview for a head coach job but that is it.

Don't think that is correct - a team does not need to let a coach go if it is nothing more than a lateral, but they do if it is a promotion. - Shanahan pulled this with Bobby Turner.

LOUDOUN COUNTY, VA – The Washington Redskins today named Bobby Turner their Assistant Head Coach/Running Backs.

http://www.extremeskins.com/archive/index.php/t-315555.html

On the Washington Redskins team site - Turner is listed as Assistant HC/Running Backs

http://www.redskins.com/team/coaches.html

The only reason for a promotion not being required is if a coach is let go by a team, another team can pick him up in any capacity.

yuhateme80
01-20-2012, 02:57 PM
My thing if a coach wants to leave Denver let em u don't want people there who doesn't wanna be there

red98
01-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Don't think that is correct - a team does not need to let a coach go if it is nothing more than a lateral, but they do if it is a promotion. - Shanahan pulled this with Bobby Turner.

http://www.extremeskins.com/archive/index.php/t-315555.html

On the Washington Redskins team site - Turner is listed as Assistant HC/Running Backs

http://www.redskins.com/team/coaches.html

No he didn't. He just sweetened the pot for him.

Here all the actual rules that I end up posting about this time every year:

1. Two Tiers of Coaching Staffs. For purposes of this Anti-Tampering Policy,
each coaching staff is divided into two tiers: (1) head coach, and (2) all assistant
coaches.
Although each individual club is permitted to use whatever structure and titles it
desires for its coaching staff, the two tiers described here will be adhered to for
administration of this Policy.

2. Head-Coaching Opportunity. If a club is interested in discussing its head
coaching position with an assistant coach whose playing season (excluding Pro
Bowl) is over, and who is contractually obligated to another club, the assistant
coach’s employer club must permit the coach the opportunity to discuss, and
possibly accept, such employment through March 1 of any year. After March 1,
the employer club is under no obligation to grant such permission, but it may be
voluntarily granted at the employer club’s discretion during the off-season.

Lateral Move.
If a club is interested in discussing an assistant coaching
position with an assistant coach who is contractually obligated to another
club at any time prior to the opening of the employer club’s training
camp, it will be considered a lateral move, and the employer club is under
no obligation to grant the coach the opportunity to discuss the position
with the interested club. At the discretion of the employer club, however,
such permission may be voluntarily granted.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-20-2012, 03:21 PM
It appears that teams can even stop assistant coaches interviewing for a position which would be a promotion. If this is accurate, appears the Broncos could stop any coach from interviewing elsewhere.

The Vikings wanted to interview Bears defensive backs coach Jon Hoke for their defensive coordinator vacancy, but the Bears said no.

The Bears declined the Vikings’ request on Monday, the Chicago Tribune reports.

rest of article - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/17/bears-wont-let-jon-hoke-interview-with-vikings/

This just happened on Jan 17th.

red98
01-20-2012, 03:23 PM
It appears that teams can even stop assistant coaches interviewing for a position which would be a promotion. If this is accurate, appears the Broncos could stop any coach from interviewing elsewhere.

rest of article - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/17/bears-wont-let-jon-hoke-interview-with-vikings/

This just happened on Jan 17th.

Right because the NFL doesn't consider it a promotion as per the NFL rules I posted.

Mike Tice was denied the chance to interview for the OC job with Tenn last year.

jhildebrand
01-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Dennis Allen should be made our coach in waiting behind Fox just like Indy did with Caldwell. I think the guy is legit HC material. He just needs a bit more time. I don't want to see him go under any circumstances!

dogfish
01-20-2012, 03:39 PM
i think it's a moot point, red-- fox isn't the kind of guy who'd deny one of his assistants the promotion/move, even if he's technically capable. . .

Denver Native (Carol)
01-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Right because the NFL doesn't consider it a promotion as per the NFL rules I posted.

Mike Tice was denied the chance to interview for the OC job with Tenn last year.

I can't understand how going from a defensive backs coach to a defensive coordinator not being a promotion.

dogfish
01-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Dennis Allen should be made our coach in waiting behind Fox just like Indy did with Caldwell. I think the guy is legit HC material. He just needs a bit more time. I don't want to see him go under any circumstances!

ugh. . . i wouldn't be a fan of that at ALL. . . what happens if his performance declines? he's only been a coordinator one year, and he has some pretty special guys to work with (doom, dawk, champ, von)-- love what he did with it, but i need to see more before annointing him. . .

besides, fox just took over last year. . . i don't think he's ready to plan his exit strategy just yet. . . :laugh:

NightTerror218
01-20-2012, 03:48 PM
I can't understand how going from a defensive backs coach to a defensive coordinator not being a promotion.

might just be in pay

red98
01-20-2012, 03:50 PM

It's legalese Carol it's not meant to make sense ;).

But it's only for purposes of the Anti-Tampering policy. Otherwise, think about it, you could come up with any job title you want and still get some other teams WR coach to coach your WRs as long as you called him assistant head coach WRs. It would make contracts worthless basically.

In reality when it clearly is an actual "promotion" like with Mike Tice last year, the team is going to let you interview or offer you something in return for not letting you interview. In Tice's case a fat two year contract.

red98
01-20-2012, 03:56 PM
i think it's a moot point, red-- fox isn't the kind of guy who'd deny one of his assistants the promotion/move, even if he's technically capable. . .

Oh most likely. But if Fox thought that losing Gase right now would be detrimental to Tebow's development, I could see him denying the move and bumping up Gase's salary and/or title to keep him happy.

It happens all the time.

Jsteve01
01-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Gase?

red98
01-20-2012, 04:19 PM
Gase?

Yes

dogfish
01-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Oh most likely. But if Fox thought that losing Gase right now would be detrimental to Tebow's development, I could see him denying the move and bumping up Gase's salary and/or title to keep him happy.

It happens all the time.

certainly. . .

unfortunately, mccoy isn't the guy i'm worried about replacing. . . :laugh:

although, we might bring mike trgovac in this time if we did lose allen, and that might not be a bad thing. . . .

Zweems56
01-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Per schefter, Philbin hired.

chazoe60
01-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Maybe he hit on the owner's wife or something?

Magnificent Seven
01-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Close this thread. McCoy is not heading to Miami.

TXBRONC
01-21-2012, 08:56 AM
I though Gase was from carolina too and came with Fox, because McD's brother was QB coach.

Gase was the wide receivers coach in '09 under McDaniels.